Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: The Games Underfoot

When an archeologist is murdered, Holmes and Watson believe the man may have been killed for what he discovered during his last excavation in a local landfill. Also, Sherlock’s relationship with Alfredo, his friend and former sobriety sponsor, hits a rough patch.

Promo (sorry for the crappy quality but no one else seems to have posted it yet)

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize until CBS ran the ad tonight that the show is this week.  I got confused because they were pre-empted for football last week and some shows are on reruns this week.

• Love 1

It's pre-empted for football here in Saint Paul/Minneapolis.  I was hoping someone would know if it will air after the game, which still has a LONG way to go, or not.  I changed my DVR settings to record an extra hour, but if they just go to news I'll cancel the recording.  The info button and other guides still show Elementary at 9pm and not football, so they are no help.

It's pre-empted for football here in Saint Paul/Minneapolis.  I was hoping someone would know if it will air after the game, which still has a LONG way to go, or not.  I changed my DVR settings to record an extra hour, but if they just go to news I'll cancel the recording.  The info button and other guides still show Elementary at 9pm and not football, so they are no help.

Sorry I didn't visit till after the show was over. I could have told you that it was showing on WCCO's sister digital station Decades. (223 on Comcast)

Like many things on this show the video game plot was a real thing.

I appreciate how seriously the show treats addiction and Sherlock's addiction specifically.

• Love 2

Sorry I didn't visit till after the show was over. I could have told you that it was showing on WCCO's sister digital station Decades. (223 on Comcast)

Thanks for the info.  My initial reaction on reading this, and not directed at you, but to the "gods" ;-) ... Dammit!  I even googled wcco Elementary football pre-emption and today's date and came up with nothing.  I went directly to WCCO website and didn't see anything either.  At least now I know for future reference. 

Like many things on this show the video game plot was a real thing.

Hee!  I thought that was what the case was going for.  I still hear about the rumors over how bad that game was and how it was buried in the desert somewhere.  Not surprised someone like Sherlock would look down on video gaming, but I like that Joan had played them when she was younger, and ended up beating the final level to get "Everyone's" clue.  

Any episode with Alfredo is great in my book.  It was great seeing him again, and to see him and Sherlock reunite after all the craziness that happened last season. Their friendship is probably one of my favorite things about this show, behind Sherlock/Joan and Clyde.  Ato Essandoh really does great work in the few episodes he appears in.

I liked the random moment where Sherlock found some stolen bikes that he had heard about from I think a bolo or something.  I like that, amongst all the murders and bigger crimes, Sherlock pays attention to the small ones as well.

• Love 11

Sherlock and Joan remarking about how the only thing he and Alfredo have in common is not doing drugs seemed a little meta for the writers not knowing what to do with Alfredo. It's like they are afraid to move Alfredo's dialogue out of the zone of Sherlock's sobriety. I mean, couldn't they talk about jazz musicians or something? Or is Sherlock only into classical?

• Love 3

I also thought they enjoyed stuff like practicing breaking into cars and beating security systems. Alfredo used to be a helpful person for Sherlock to turn to for puzzles.

Regardless, I'm really glad they didn't simply ditch Alfredo as a character. I really do like their complex and bizarre friendship.

I also loved Joan kicking butt playing video games. That was fun. Sherlock was so annoyed by it, too, which... bonus!  :D

• Love 10

Was I not paying attention, or did they not introduce the building owner before they brought him in for questioning about the crime?  I  thought it was 

one of the rules of mysteries that you have to introduce the culprit first

I was also very glad to see Alfredo back and that his relationship with Sherlock will continue in some form even if Sherlock finds another sponsor.  I like the way Sherlock is showing more sensitivity to Alfredo as he did to Joan in the opening episode when he thinks he is finished with the NYPD and tries to save her job there.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

Ato Essandoh is wonderful as Alfredo. I like that he was uncharacteristically quieter this time. It showed how a generally upbeat, sunny person can essentially be alright enough to get back to living, but not be fully back to themselves or how they want to be. Sherlock "shaming" Alfredo with the latter's selflessness was a nice moment.  The ending was hopeful, which is what I look for, more than an outright happy ending.  (Happy endings are nice, don't misunderstand me, but hopeful is as powerful for some stories, imo.)

Everybody is one of the more clever Irregulars and I love their answers and fees for same.

Thanks to the Props department for this week! I was taken back to my old Atari 2600 and the art and font used for those early games! Even the "old ad" for Nottingham Knights was reminiscent of the types of ads from that era. Hats off to those folks!

The turn in this case was unexpected, organic and made me worry about all the people in the building we saw, not to mention the surrounding block.  

I really liked the sleeveless red and black top Joan had on. I wouldn't do the bow, but I liked the print and colors. Is it winter in the Elementary-verse? Joan's short-y/jumper thing when she met Alfredo seemed too short for the season. (Not a deal-breaker; it just seemed unseasonal, but she also seemed to just be inside.)

• Love 3
Is it winter in the Elementary-verse? Joan's short-y/jumper thing when she met Alfredo seemed too short for the season. (Not a deal-breaker; it just seemed unseasonal, but she also seemed to just be inside.)

Well New York City is about 15 degrees above normal currently, so maybe the producers looked at a long-term forecast :)

• Love 3

A tiny detail that made me giggle a little: the way Alfredo defiantly took another bite out of his pink coconut doughnut after Sherlock had chastised him for eating something that doesn't exist in nature. Heee.

I also loved Sherlock saying 'Shame on you' for Alfredo's inability to be selfish about his own sobriety needs. That was really sweet in a funny sort of way. I loved that it finally got Alfredo to smile and laugh a little bit, something I imagine he hasn't been able to do for a while, no matter how much he protests that he's "fine" and his attending 8 meetings in a week had nothing to do with Sherlock's former dealer Oscar.

• Love 4

Loved Sherlock trying to play the video game & sarcastically saying "you're my hero" to Joan when she won the game.

Was I not paying attention, or did they not introduce the building owner before they brought him in for questioning about the crime?  I  thought it was 

one of the rules of mysteries that you have to introduce the culprit first

We didn't actually meet him, but there was a scene (can't remember exactly who was in it, but I think Joan was) where they were discussing how the owner was complaining about getting the hole filled in.

• Love 1

I was just as surprised by them acting like Sherlock and Alfredo had nothing in common. They practiced breaking into

cars and security systems. Sherlock asked him to watch a suspect Joan was watching so she could meet up with

her friend. One of the reasons Sherlock had to find a new sponsor was because they were becoming friends.

Didn't Sherlock "fire" him deciding to keep their friendship?

• Love 7

I was very confused by Sherlock claiming he and Alfredo had nothing in common outside their addiction issues, unless it was meant to be seen as BS and he was just distancing himself because of his anguish over relapsing and over Alfredo being kidnapped. I am all ready for Alfredo to move in with Joan and Sherlock and Clyde, and for us to see him struggle with the fallout from being kidnapped and to see Joan and Sherlock interact with that. Maybe they can explore PTSD or something like that. But it just seemed like a total retcon, and very out of character for the show itself, to reframe something that had been well-established, i.e. that Sherlock and Alfredo were in fact friends and did in fact have common interests and reasons to be in each others' lives outside of "The Program."

• Love 3

I'm guessing that since Ato Essandoh is in a new series (Vinyl), they need a handy-dandy excuse for Alfredo's absence.

Alfredo connected with me from the start - I was actually really worried about him this ep.

• Love 4

I too thought the "nothing in common" plot was weird.  I was worried it would be the last of Alfredo.  Very happy that did not happen. I reaaly liked this episode.  The case was interesting and the video game playing was a delight.

• Love 3

I liked the episode. Although I think years of watching detective shows makes you hyper aware, so by the second time they bring up how annoyed the owner of the building is with the digging without having the characters react to it, I figured he was somewhat involved.

Alfredo is back, which is always good. Him not doing well is a downer but I think realistic, and it encouraged Sherlock to offer support to a friend who is in a worse place than himself. I like the little moments.

Joan/Sherlock domestic: 10/10. I thought it was funny how she was kinda bossing him while he was trying to play the video game, and then when she won, her celebratory fist pump and smiley face got me all in the dork feels lol.

Everyone is back, also yay! Congratulations to the writers for coming up with an actorless character that's become some sort of audience favourite.

• Love 3

I liked the change in the nature of the challenge and solution that Everyone posed to Sherlock.  As he noted, it was elegant instead of goofy/humiliating.  It might be a weird manifestation of their gratitude/respect for solving the murder/outing a traitor/saving their collective asses back in the third season.

I also kind of appreciated the lack of John Noble.  I really enjoy his character (and am looking forward to the next time he appears), but I appreciate that the showrunners aren't overusing him and haven't gone with the idea that since he's a regular he has to be in every episode.  The sparing use of him reminds me of the sparing use of Moriarty, which made her character work so well.  It's a "Less is More" subtlety that Sherlock could stand to learn.

• Love 6

Every time I wind up watching this show, I am reminded of how forever grateful that the actual stories did not dwell endlessly on his purported addiction, which it really was not in the stories. This stuff makes me twitch with the never ending references to it. Strikes me as incredibly lazy and nothing more than filler. It is never not mentioned, as far as I recall.

But then this show is about at non-Holmes as it gets.

I do wish JLM would at least feign an attempt to enunciate a bit more. I watch mostly British shows and have no difficulty with accents whatsoever, with him, for me, it is his mumbling.

And, Joan. Just do not like the character at all. She has about as much charisma as my houseplant. Personal opinion only, of course.

Will just continue to watch when I am bored and nothing else is on. If they could just inject some real energy into this show. Holmes is all about energy when he is working. With this version, he puts me to sleep. Not good when it is on at 10 pm.

• Love 2

What confused me was the murder scene. If the arsonist was trying to make it look like a gas leak by turning on the oven and sealing everything up, why was he hanging out on the sofa, breathing it in as if he were trying to kill himself? At first I thought the twist would involve something with a person who had actually been sorry they accidentally killed the victim and they were trying to kill themselves when the meddling neighbor smelled gas, ruining the plan. 

Or were we supposed to believe that the arsonist was breathing like that and hanging around because he had just gotten into that altercation with the victim, and had just finished stabbing him with the kitchen spatula instead of killing him with the gas the way they had originally planned?

I just found the scene confusing. I know they were probably going for confusing in order to create questions for the police to investigate, but I thought it just didn't quite make sense even by the end of the episode.

In other news, I agree with Allison's recap - I totally thought it was the ex-girlfriend until the very last minute.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

After not seeing it for a while, enjoyed this episode, mainly because it was a touch calmer than I remembered. Last season I thought the editing, pacing and music were purposefully reflecting Sherlock's nervous, twitchy staccato way of being. 

Last nite, two things bothered me: the clumsy exposition when each member of the police unit took turns at reciting the background we needed to know; and how Sherlock rarely responds appropriately to Watson. I didn't realize his reactions or lack of reactions to her bothered me until I saw the Alfredo - Sherlock scenes. We know they are friends even if we haven't watched before, because they look at each when they speak, reference their ongoing ties, show concern, add in some banter and end with a home cooked meal. 

But for poor old Watson, who does her best to show up when needed, be supportive, entertain with games savvy, show concern repeatedly, gets nearly nothing in response. Sherlock keeps his back to her when she enters a room, cuts her off verbally, rarely looks towards her let alone in the eye when speaking and maintains a poker face even if she makes jokes or shows emotion. Some of this distance may be dictated by the long established Homes - Watson relationship, but most modern interpretations allow for a great deal of firendship shown.

• Love 2

I really liked the fact that, at the end, Sherlock was acting more like a sponsor to Alfredo than a sponsee.  The "humanizing" of Sherlock may be baby steps to us, but they are great strides to Sherlock.  He just needs an occasional nudge now and then!

• Love 1

I was very confused by Sherlock claiming he and Alfredo had nothing in common outside their addiction issues, unless it was meant to be seen as BS and he was just distancing himself because of his anguish over relapsing and over Alfredo being kidnapped.

I interpreted it as essentially that. I even thought Joan was giving him halfway side-eye when he said it. I'm not sure if the writers are intending to be that nuanced about it or if maybe they did just forget what they'd established before, but if I assume it were an intentional contradiction, which I currently do, it doesn't even necessarily need to be BS on Sherlock's part. It could be that he's so focused on what went down, or focused on trying not to focus on it, he might actually think what he said was true because he essentially can't get all of that guilt/trauma out of his head to remember the fun-with-electronics, puzzles, other shenanigans etc. To me that also makes sense going with how at the end he was tinkering with Alfredo's project-car. Like "oh right, we used to do stuff". I mean, I know the primary purpose of the visit was also he was worried about him and the whole conversation we saw, but it doesn't have to just be "oooh an addict-related thing now I have a reason to come over". It can be both. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Frustrating that I missed what sounds like a decent episode. The commercials made it seem as if Sherlock was supposed to play the video game against the criminal of the show in order to solve or save the case. Way off base on that one.

There was a sound bite in the commercial with Sherlock saying "I'm now going to consult my father" (approx). Was there more to that or was it a throw away line?

My favorite part was Joan telling Sherlock to go left and when he told her to be quiet she kept making hand motions for him to go left. 

This one was entertaining one. Although the killer was kind of anticlimactic since we didn't meet him until half way through. I loved seeing the old video game graphics. I remember playing a sports game on the Atari at my Grandma's house where everything was made up of squares even the ball. 

Loved seeing Alfredo again. I don't think they have much in common but you don't need everything in common to be friends. Alfredo breaks into security systems and Sherlock loves solving puzzles. That is something they have in common that has nothing do with not doing drugs. 

What confused me was the murder scene. If the arsonist was trying to make it look like a gas leak by turning on the oven and sealing everything up, why was he hanging out on the sofa, breathing it in as if he were trying to kill himself?

The killer's plan was to make it look like an accident, and he was in the process of setting up a future explosion when the victim returned.  They struggled, and the victim ended up stabbed, something that couldn't be passed off as part of the accidental death.  Presumably he would have suffocated the victim or drugged him if he had not been caught by surprise.  he killer sat down thinking for a moment and breathing heavily because of the struggle that happened immediately before the episode started.

I agree the comment about not having anything in common with Alfredo was obviously untrue, so I am ready to believe the theory of the posters above that this was an intentional comment based on Sherlock's fears and hesitation rather than on reality.  He did appear very ill at ease in the first conversation with Alfredo, perhaps because of a residue of guilt over what Oscar did, however illogical that feeling would be.  I loved the pink coconut exchange.  I think I've had that conversation about Snoballs. The ending was great in the low key show of support and fellowship.  Cue up the Abbott and Costello.

I love Joan's reaction to the video gaming and the trick of the Everyone message.

• Love 2

As if I needed another reason to love Alfredo, look at those amazing donuts he buys! Loved the last scene between him and Sherlock. Sherlock being there for him rather quietly and understanding. Not being to prodding just the right amount of concern. I really love their friendship. Episode would have been perfect if we got to see Clyde.

• Love 3

I've been watching all along but have finally been driven to post. They usually are so meticulous with their details but this was not entirely correct. I have worked as an archaeologist, and the preferred trowels for (American) archaeologists are Marshalltowns (https://gath.wordpress.com/2006/03/22/ode-to-the-marshalltown/), which were originally designed for laying tile, and in fact can be found in every tile store in the US. That's where I bought mine. But they are not exclusively used by archaeologists. Who also use dental tools and pickaxes, but you can't point to any of that and say "That must be an archaeologist!" I haven't done fieldwork in almost 20 years now but I know exactly where my Marshalltown is right this second. There are things I bought last week I can't find.

So did Alfredo actually say what was bothering him at the end? Or was he going to tell Sherlock over dinner?

• Love 2

Will just continue to watch when I am bored and nothing else is on. If they could just inject some real energy into this show. Holmes is all about energy when he is working. With this version, he puts me to sleep. Not good when it is on at 10 pm.

Sounds like a win, if you don't especially like the show. No need for sleeping pills. Carl Sagan's Cosmos used to do that to me, and I was always interested, just driven to sleep by his monotone.

I do like this show, and I enjoyed this episode, though it did get confusing here and there. Did anyone else notice how, when Alfredo sat in the chair, he looked like a giant in a tiny seat? I'd never noticed the chair seeming particularly small.

*edited because Alfredo is NOT Alfonzo.

Edited by clanstarling

I've been watching all along but have finally been driven to post. They usually are so meticulous with their details but this was not entirely correct. I have worked as an archaeologist, and the preferred trowels for (American) archaeologists are Marshalltowns (https://gath.wordpress.com/2006/03/22/ode-to-the-marshalltown/), which were originally designed for laying tile, and in fact can be found in every tile store in the US. That's where I bought mine. But they are not exclusively used by archaeologists. Who also use dental tools and pickaxes, but you can't point to any of that and say "That must be an archaeologist!" I haven't done fieldwork in almost 20 years now but I know exactly where my Marshalltown is right this second. There are things I bought last week I can't find.

So did Alfredo actually say what was bothering him at the end? Or was he going to tell Sherlock over dinner?

I thought they found some very specific identifying mark on the trowel that somehow defined it as being affiliated with archaeology.  Alfredo said he was feeling "down" but offered no specifics during the episode.

What confused me was the murder scene. If the arsonist was trying to make it look like a gas leak by turning on the oven and sealing everything up, why was he hanging out on the sofa, breathing it in as if he were trying to kill himself? At first I thought the twist would involve something with a person who had actually been sorry they accidentally killed the victim and they were trying to kill themselves when the meddling neighbor smelled gas, ruining the plan.

As you noted in your next paragraph, we open on the killer seconds after the struggle and killing.  He's sitting down breathing hard after a life and death struggle.  He realizes that the "accidental gas leak/fire" story isn't going to fly so he turns off the gas and switches to gasoline.

The bit with the smoke detector is a little puzzling.  I'm assuming that he got confused by the death struggle, saw the smoke detector and decided "Shit, I gotta put the dead batteries in" because he forgot he'd already done that.  So, he switched out the dead batteries in the detector for live batteries, getting the firemen there sooner and ultimately preserving his own fingerprints on the smoke detector.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

The murder itself was a little bit confusing, but I really enjoyed the episode. Especially the follow up with Alfredo. I am always happy to see him, and it was nice to see that his friendship with Sherlock is not just a one way street. Sherlock does care about him, and does want to make sure he is doing alright, even if it is hard to hang out with him, due to all the bad memories and guilt he still feels. 

I loved Joan playing the 80s game, and all the stuff about old school gaming and how its it own weird little subculture. I always like when the show looks at stuff like that, even if the murder itself turned out to be basically unrelated. 

I also really enjoyed Sherlock returning the bikes that he found that had been stolen. Not plot related at all, but a nice character beat. 

• Love 1
The bit with the smoke detector is a little puzzling.  I'm assuming that he got confused by the death struggle, saw the smoke detector and decided "Shit, I gotta put the dead batteries in" because he forgot he'd already done that.  So, he switched out the dead batteries in the detector for live batteries, getting the firemen there sooner and ultimately preserving his own fingerprints on the smoke detector.

In the 2009 fire, he had taken out working batteries so that the smoke alarm wouldn't go off right away, and the fire response would be slowed down.  He was going to do that with this case too, and had already taken out the working batteries and replaced then with dead batteries when he was staging an accident.  When he realized that it wouldn't work for a guy to die of a gas leak AND a trowel in the chest, he tried to undo all the preparations he'd made to have it look like an accident.  So he turned OFF the gas stove, and he replaced his dead batteries with the original working batteries in the smoke detector.  But since the smoke detector wasn't near the body and the primary point of origin of the fire, it wasn't damaged.  I'm sure no one would have had it printed if not for Holmes and Watson noticing the discrepancy in the earlier fire (the super insisted he'd just replaced the batteries, and yet they were dead).  But once their attention was drawn to the smoke detector, the arsonist's prints were on it.  They explained this when they arrested the owner, but pretty quickly, and if you weren't right with them, since everything was done twice, it could be confusing.

• Love 2

Every time I wind up watching this show, I am reminded of how forever grateful that the actual stories did not dwell endlessly on his purported addiction, which it really was not in the stories.

The addiction was the "hook" from the first episode; it's not like it's been thrown in.  I can understand not wanting to see it, but I'm not sure why it's taken 4 seasons for you to quit...