Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E25: Live Semi-Final Results

• Start Topic

I do not need to see anyone else to proclaim that Barrett was the worst tonight. That was so painfully horrid. 

ETA Got ahead of myself. This was Monday... Oh well

Edited by Pathetica
  • Love 2

Despite being in 8th place out of 9 contestants on iTunes, Barrett was 3rd in voting and automatically makes the finals, along with obvious finalists Jordan and Emily, the most consistent performers in lives sales-wise.

That's appalling. Now either Amy or Jeff (or, I guess, both) will be booted for his bland ass.

I actually thought this was plausible before Monday, but then I guess I paid too much attention to last night's iTunes which had Jeff selling 41% more than Barrett.

The producers get their way, I guess, since Jordan and Barrett have gotten the best order placements this season...

Oh wait. NOOOOOOO my queen Amy was in the bottom 3 and is already cut?! What's wrong with you, America! So fickle. She's the only one who managed to sell more than Jordan one week during lives, and is the only one (besides constant Jordan) who was twice able to be one of the T2 sellers during the lives. 

Blake and country are too powerful. HOW is Zach doing Miley Cyrus more compelling than Amy's gorgeous performance?

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 3

I yelled NOOOOOO! when Carson said Barrett's name. I really didn't expect that.

And then when he said Madi's and Zach's name.... another NOOOOO!  I had a feeling Zach might sneak in there. 
My picks were Jordan, Shelby, Emily Ann and Jeffrey.

oh well, at least I got three right....

Whoa... and ouch.....that was not a good song for Madi....and she knew it. She looked pretty though.

Jeffrey blew them all away! Wow. Gwen was right, it would have a been a crime if he didn't win over those two. I would have been pissed.

Blake almost got his whole team to the finals and if he did I was thinking it's gonna be a reverse of what happened the time Blake won when Adam had the majority of finalists and Blake had one. (boy, that was sweet when Blake won that one!)

• Love 4

Jordan, Emily, and Jeff have been the 3 most consistent sellers on iTunes in the live rounds and are 3 of the 4 contestants to get multiple prime performance slots this season.

The other one is Barrett, who the producers have pimped as much as Jordan position-wise. He's been 6th in iTunes consistency, but I guess the producers' manipulations are more powerful than iTunes voters.

Looking back through the seasons, it looks like every 3 seasons we get the same set of finalists (S3, S6, S9) - mostly white guys + 1 white girl. Sorry Amy; your superior talent cannot prevail.

Edited by jjjmoss

I feel like if Zach did something upbeat and flirty he would have made it a tougher match up. He was never going to outsing Jeffery, although maybe he was just hoping the country vote would pull him through. He's got a bright future anyway and Blake is really good at helping his artists (or at least sending them in the right directions). He's such a sweetheart.

I liked all of the three in the save so I was fine with any result. This was the first time Jeffery hasn't bored me in weeks. He earned his spot. I would have liked to see Madi advance to hear more life advice from Pharrell next week.

America, I will never understand what you see in Barrett. Does he have like a million relatives voting for him?

At least Adam is down to 1 artist. That 1 is probably going to win, but for tonight I can enjoy his momentary defeat. (nothing against Amy or Shelby)

• Love 1

I like Blake, I really do.  But he needs to take a break because the show is about to be thisclose to turning into Blake's Honky Tonk Hour, and I am not here for it.

The Voice Save was no contest, I actually stood up for Jeffery.

• Love 8
I guess the producers' manipulatixons are more powerful than iTunes voters.

I think it's more that conventional voters are more powerful than iTunes voters.

I've never voted, so I may not have this all straight, but my impression from reading this forum is that viewers have the option to vote up to 10 times in a number of different ways-- call-in, website, text... and can use all of them every week. 

So the 10x iTunes bonus is a bit of a tease. It's great if you are someone who's probably also appealing to traditional voters (Jordan, Emily Anne) and can help give you a lock on the finale, but if you are someone like Amy or Madi, you might get a lot of people who want to buy your song but who won't necessarily think to vote in other ways. 

Basically, the 10x bonus of charting well on iTunes is worth less than the 30x bonus of having the Team Blake voters supporting you.

• Love 1

I think it's more that conventional voters are more powerful than iTunes voters.

I've never voted, so I may not have this all straight, but my impression from reading this forum is that viewers have the option to vote up to 10 times in a number of different ways-- call-in, website, text... and can use all of them every week. 

So the 10x iTunes bonus is a bit of a tease. It's great if you are someone who's probably also appealing to traditional voters (Jordan, Emily Anne) and can help give you a lock on the finale, but if you are someone like Amy or Madi, you might get a lot of people who want to buy your song but who won't necessarily think to vote in other ways. 

Basically, the 10x bonus of charting well on iTunes is worth less than the 30x bonus of having the Team Blake voters supporting you.

The app lets you have up to 10 votes per artist. You could in theory give 10 votes to everyone and just cancel yourself out. Interestingly, I think giving 10 votes to all but one artist would have the same effect as voting against that one artist. It's super easy to play around with votes on the app too. 

Before the season started, I thought eliminating phone votes would give itunes more power. It seems to have had the opposite effect. The app is much quicker and easier. Also, itunes voting was close last night. There isn't going to be a huge difference in the sales figures for the song at #5 and the song at #10.

I didn't watch last night and had planned to skim though tonight's results show, but because of all the insightful posters on previously, I am spared seeing Barrett make it through to the finals.

Now, I really DO hope Jordan is the pre-determined winner, because if Barrett wins it all, I won't even watch when Xtina comes back. And I love to hate/love me some Christina.

Thanks for saving me over two hours of my life, guys!! I'll be back here next week to see who wins.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

Jeffery, why didn't you sing this song last night? Oh mama!

I keep trying to figure out who Jeffery reminds me off, but so far the only combo I've came up with is Clay Aiken + Richard Blais (shut up!) + a little bit of BamBam Cody Belew. Can't put my finger on who I'm missing though.

Gees Blakes contestants can take a dump,on the stage and still get voted through ( cuz that's what Barret did). Blake needs to take next season off and while off find a short plank and take a long walk off of it. (Btw I don't really wish him harm, just wish he would leave and never return)

Go Jordan and Jeffrey!

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 1

Here's a shady factoid: every final-slot live performance this season has been by a male.

Jordan, Barrett, Zach, Jeff, Barrett, Jordan.

Though to be fair, S4 was all females all the time (Judith, Sasha, Amber, Michelle, Amber, Sasha, Michelle, and surprisingly not until the finale Danielle). Cuz the T8 was females except the Swons.

Edited by jjjmoss

I was disappointed that Amy went home. She was unique and had her own style. Emily is just a generic country girl and Barret is okay, but there were other people that deserve to go through more.

I have to say no offense to Madi, but I'm glad that Pherell is out of the finales. I really do not like him, his music is shit and he often says offensive things if he says anything at all. Seriously if I took a shot the number of times he says per season "what so and so said", I'd be on the floor.

Barrett is terrible and should not have made the finals. I would take Madi or Zach over him. BUT I'm not going to blame Blake for America voting him through. That's all on America. Besides, I can sense Barette is not even Blake's favorite. Emily is and she deserved to be in the finals. All of it doesn't matter anyway. Jordan is going to win it easy.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 4

Gees Blakes contestants can take a dump,on the stage and still get voted through ( cuz that's what Barret did). Blake needs to take next season off and while off find a short plank and take a long walk off of it. (Btw I don't really wish him harm, just wish he would leave and never return)

Go Jordan and Jeffrey!

Hey now, Barrett didn't take a dump on the stage.  He mimed taking a dump on the stage.  With his squatting and grimacing he may have filled his pants, but he kept them on so full Depend yes, dump on stage no. 

• Love 2

Barrett, really?  He's been my last choice for weeks.

Emily Ann, on the other hand, won me over with her 9=to-5 performance.  I don't even like that song, but she was great.  She's come a long way, and I think she's ready.  I like her better than nearly every other country singer who has been on this show (except maybe Kristin).

Jordan, of course.

Jeffrey?  I wish it had been Amy or Madi.  Although doing Cher was a pretty gutsy move.  I cannot withhold respect for that.

I am rooting for anyone and everyone who is not named Barrett.  Uck!

• Love 6

Yay for Jordan and Jeffrey. I found Emily Ann SO boring thru the season, but I think that's more about me not liking country music than anything else. I think she did a great job on 9-5 (a country song I find fun, at least). So, those three - great voices. Belong in the finale of the VOICE.

But WTF Barrett?? His voice is SOOOOO off-putting. So nasal. I just can't deal. Thankfully, Jordan's probably got it in the bag, so I don't have to worry about him winning. (I didn't jinx it, did I??)

Edited by hks
  • Love 1

Oh no. Soon as they said Barrett my tv went off and the Voice went off my list to record. There were kids there who could improve and maybe make it a ways, but he is rather past the prime hit the big tyme age and he sings horribly. Horribly. He sounds awful. Blech. 

• Love 2

Barrett, oh, no.

However, the bitch face that Adam gave Blake when ZACH was then announced over Amy and Shelby, which even though that does seem an obvious travesty, was so totally worth the effect on Adam.  It is the only thing to look forward to given that Jordan has been the obvious winner for weeks.

Sighhhh, it has come down to this, only the blinds are interesting to watch anymore.  The contestants are fresh, the judges are competitive, and they actually say something useful.  Then almost every show after the blinds I fast forward more and more until I'm not even watching in real time anymore.

It would be the second best finale result ever if someone managed to win over Jordan, just to see Adam's head explode one more time.  That is really the only thing to look forward to.

• Love 7

I keep trying to figure out who Jeffery reminds me off, but so far the only combo I've came up with is Clay Aiken + Richard Blais (shut up!) + a little bit of BamBam Cody Belew. Can't put my finger on who I'm missing though.

I don't know if you ever watched ICarly on Nickelodeon but he is the spitting image of Gibby.

Looks like The Voice is going the way of certain other reality shows with a White Male Winner curse after early seasons of diversity:

Voice's first 5 winners included 0 white guys (with only one even in 2nd). This will probably be the 4th consecutive one.

American Idol's first 6 winners included 1 white guy. 7 of the last 8 have been white guys, and the exception was due to Idol stacking the deck with sucky guys.

Big Brother's first 6 winners were half white guys. 9 of their last 11 have been. 

• Love 2

This is kind of like a Catch-22 in that I understand why many are upset about Barrett. He's no favorite of mine, either. But, on the other hand, it doesn't really matter because no one can win but Jordan.

I understand that it would give others another show and more exposure and that people enjoy them, however, I am thinking everyone will perform in the finale? 

I do think Emily Ann belongs in the Top4 and Jordan, even though Jordan does not move me as I don't feel 'him' in his performances. I mean Sinatra, for example, every syllable was Sinatra. I don't know if that makes sense. I still have no idea who Jordan is and though I recognize that he has very good pitch, excellent even, I don't listen to his music for more than a bar or two, then I am bored.

Spot three, I realize Jeffrey is well-liked (loved?), so that's fine, even though he bores me, and, again I wouldn't buy his music. I guess I'm jaded. I hated the Cher song.

Madi? Sometimes she was excellent! Sometimes, like last night and tonight, not so much. I'm not interested, again.

Amy? Like someone above said, was too lethargic to me. Braiden is an enthusiastic kid, but, yeah. I just didn't find Shelby interesting at all :(. Korin had moments here and there. I still think she has talent when she's just being herself. 

It's sad that I couldn't remember who was on Team Pharrell before that got elim'd. I mean, I remembered Mark, but, couldn't remember Evan and had to go look it up. I guess that says something. Well, he got a free pass last year with Sawyer, who I still don't get! 

And, that leaves Zach. Y'know, Zach hit his peak with Brand New Girlfriend. I really enjoyed that. I actually think with Blake in his corner, as he said, that he will end up having some success. He's a good entertainer when he is in that mode.

But, again, I can't get upset about any of this because this season has been subpar overall IMHO.

I have been bored, more than not. 

I'm also surprised at the songs that crack the top 10 and Jordan's immense success (though of course he is talented). But #1 over Adele and with Hallelujah too. That song is as has been said, not about what people think it is.

I am a huge Leonard Cohen fan so that is how I came to know it first. His music is haunting, evocative and brilliant. I love his voice. The other version I like is Jeff Buckley's. And that's it! Enough. Step off.

So, how to care when Jordan will win anyway? I can't really. Meh.

I think Emily Ann will do well after this.

Edited by InfiniteMystery
  • Love 2

Zach should have done an up-tempo song, because he could have beat Jeffrey showmanship-wise.

Jeffrey sang well but he always looks like he's expecting any minute for someone to bop him on the head with a two-by-four. And again with the downbeat songs! I would vote him as Singer Most Likely To Commit Suicide Onstage, just because of his demeanor.

I'm sorry Amy didn't make it, but that Dylan song she sang on Monday didn't showcase her at all.

Hey, Madi wasn't wearing a hat. Praise be! But I bet she wears it from now on, thinking that not wearing it broke her luck - lol.

Shelby always looked, when in the lineup, like she was saying to herself, "I know they aren't going to pick me; why am I even up here?" Adam should have coached her on how to smile and look less uncomfortable in that situation. It would have been less painful to watch.

I think Barret is Blake's charity case fhis season; Emily Ann is the one he would really prefer to win, I think. Hopefully, though, Jordan will win and make the whole thing moot.

Wow, that combination of people make me almost hate Jeffrey and he is my favorite contestant left. He reminds me of Ricky Astley.

As for Barrett, he is the Danielle of the season. The mediocre country artist propped up by Blake's fans.

Barrett making the finals did not surprise me at all:

Wife & Kids

Teacher

Tall

Plane Crash Story

Team Blake

All of that was going to trump any singing and performance deficiencies.  Those factors even managed to negate the producers having him lead off the show.  Backstories matter on voting shows.

• Love 3

Wife & Kids

Teacher

Tall

Plane Crash Story

Team Blake

All of that was going to trump any singing and performance deficiencies.  Those factors even managed to negate the producers having him lead off the show.  Backstories matter on voting shows.

You forgot white dude and tears at the end of his performance last night on your list.

Wife & Kids

Teacher

Tall

Plane Crash Story

Team Blake

Don't forget he's older than the others "it's not to late to live your dream"!

Regardless of how he finishes... he's not getting much of a career out of this (not that many do anymore).  He's the Taylor Hicks of the show... people like voting for him for whatever reason, but they won't buy his music.

• Love 2

Soooo.... I couldn't watch the show last night but I could stealthily check Twitter to follow along.   I almost groaned out loud when Barrett was revealed as #3.  Seriously, I need someone to explain what ANYONE sees in him.  I cannot stand him.  With both Amy & Shelby in the bottom 3, I won't bother to watch the show on demand.  I will probably just watch Jeffery's performance on youtube. 

Before last night, I would have said I think Jordan will win but that Jeffery might have a chance at a surprise win.  Now I think there is no chance for that.  If his fan base couldn't get him into the top 3 last night I think there is no chance for him to win over Jordan.  If Barrett had not made the finals, I think Emily Ann might have had a chance for the win with 100% of the country & Team Blake vote behind her.  I can only hope that Barrett has no chance but his fan base (WHO ARE YOU?!?) is surprisingly strong.  I will say this- Barrett in the finals has motivated me to vote for Jordan because if Barrett wins, I might just be done with this show for good. 

• Love 1

Soooo.... I couldn't watch the show last night but I could stealthily check Twitter to follow along.   I almost groaned out loud when Barrett was revealed as #3.  Seriously, I need someone to explain what ANYONE sees in him.  I cannot stand him.  With both Amy & Shelby in the bottom 3, I won't bother to watch the show on demand.  I will probably just watch Jeffery's performance on youtube. 

Before last night, I would have said I think Jordan will win but that Jeffery might have a chance at a surprise win.  Now I think there is no chance for that.  If his fan base couldn't get him into the top 3 last night I think there is no chance for him to win over Jordan.  If Barrett had not made the finals, I think Emily Ann might have had a chance for the win with 100% of the country & Team Blake vote behind her.  I can only hope that Barrett has no chance but his fan base (WHO ARE YOU?!?) is surprisingly strong.  I will say this- Barrett in the finals has motivated me to vote for Jordan because if Barrett wins, I might just be done with this show for good. 

I think I agree with your voting strategy.  I usually vote for my favorites (who are Emily Ann and Jeffery of the remaining four). However, I'm so afraid that Barrett could win that I will probably throw my votes to Jordan, who is the only one left who could beat out Barrett. 

I'm heartsick that neither Amy or Madi made the top four.  Heck, I'd even take Zach over Barrett.  I'm so sick of the older, married family man (Javier, Jermaine, Josh, CWB) winning these shows, and then pretty much falling into obscurity.  I still think Jeffery has the best voice and I think Emily Ann has charisma in spades, which has been devoid in other country artists (including Shelby). I also think Emily Ann could have a future if she's managed correctly.  

I will pray that Barrett goes out in 4th place, but I won't hold my breath.  I cannot believe that he beat Jeffery to be in the top 3.  I don't think it's the Blake effect at all.  I see his fans on Twitter.  They are like CWB's fans.  They vote like crazy and then forget about the artist after the show.  

I wish they'd go back to one artist from each coach,  That way we could have Madi in the top four.  I know she fell apart last night, but I think she's crazy talented with her arrangements.  

• Love 2

America, I will never understand what you see in Barrett. Does he have like a million relatives voting for him?

I am thinking half of his votes came from viewers who thought he married the oldest sister from Full House :D  Don't you think his wife looks like Candace Cameron?

This is the best that I've seen Jeffery.  I'm glad that he's in the finals.  I liked him during his knockout round.  Then he sounded good in his other performances but they were getting boring.  Last night, he delivered with so much more intensity and still showed off his voice.  I hope he picks another song like that for the finals.

Poor Madi.  She usually sounds so effortless and was having a difficult time with her song.  I think it was nerves.  She knew that she blew it.  It was sad to see her tear up.

Yuck on Barrett!!  I admit that I don't like country.  However, I do like Zach, Emily, and Shelby's voices. They need more experience but I would rather listen to them than Barrett.  I don't like his voice or his stage presence.

• Love 1

Itunes seems to not be a good indicator this season. There have been too many instances where weaker-selling contestants have advanced.  Braiden, Shelby, the country folks.  This week, Amy didn't even land in top 6 even though she had been charting fairly well all season.

As a result, I'm wondering if Jordan is really as dominant as his itunes sales have been suggesting.  Does he even have much of an edge in the itunes cumulative vote? The other finalists have hit top 10 multiple times.

So Barrett made the top 3 over Jeffery and Madi, while Zach got more votes than Amy?  That pretty much tells you what this show is all about these days.  To think there once was a time when two tattooed lesbian rockers actually make the final of this show.

I've pretty much lost all interest in next week's final.  The winner is a foregone conclusion and I really don't want to have to put with watching Barrett's mug on my screen, plus all the rest of the filler.  It's certainly not worth 4 hours of my time, when I can either FF or go on YouTube to watch the performances by the remaining contestants.

On a separate matter, I really do think Cassadee's voice has grown a lot stronger since she won this show.  If she had tried to sing that song back then, she would have sounded a lot screechier. 

• Love 1

Okay, I’ll play devil’s advocate and try to explain Barrett’s appeal.  1- He is generically handsome.  2- He fits solidly in a mainstream country, never going too far afield to scare people off.  3 – He is polished on stage; that is, he has clearly thought through his performances and does not look like any fast movements will scare him off. 4 – He has the whole family/plane crash/god wanted me to survive for some reason schtick.  Basically, he is a generic, middle of the road, non-threatening, non-challenging choice.  On this show and many similar reality shows now America rewards safe.  If you don’t look too closely, he’s like a cup of warm milk - fine if you’re in the mood, you probably aren’t craving it but it won’t harm you to have some.  If you look closely, his vocals are at best suspect and his squat and grimace performances are all fluff, no substance. So, settle in, relax and let the smarm comfort you.  Just don’t look for anything more.

Jeffrey has the better voice.  He needs to work on performance.  He can be boring.  In his twitter save song, he brought it.  Unfortunately for him, he is a gay man with a superior voice competing in an over-flowing cheese factory. 

Emily has been supported through production standards.  While she has improved over the course of the show, she is still not good.  She looks like she could be spooked at any moment.  I always expect her to freeze in the headlights.  Her 9 to 5 wasn’t particularly good.  Watch her arm movements during her performances.  She is really unsure what to do with her body.  But she had a stage full of people supporting her, giving the appearance of an exciting performance even if she was the weak link.  She is also non-threatening and non-challenging.  Welcome to the finals, little doe!  Be careful out there.

Jordan has been over-praised and over-pimped from the start.  He has a strong voice but does not show real connection to songs and is often out of control.  He is like a poorly trained show pony.  He does some things very well, then falls apart on the basics.  When he wins, and let’s face it, the chances of someone else winning are very slim, the show can laud itself of having a not conventionally attractive winner.  The whole pretense of the Voice over other singing competitions is that vocals are supposed to win over packaging of the performer.  Of course, that is not even remotely the case at this point.  His packaging is just different.

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 5
As for Barrett, he is the Danielle of the season. The mediocre country artist propped up by Blake's fans.

No, Danielle's the best contestant from 9 seasons, sorry.

Does he even have much of an edge in the itunes cumulative vote? The other finalists have hit top 10 multiple times.

Yes he does.

At their peaks for sales

This week Jordan 100%

Jeff 28%

Emily 25%

Barrett 19%

T10 Jordan 79%

Barrett 59%

Emily 50%

Jeff 31% [using Jordan as the curve at 100%, that would be 75%, 63%, 39%.]

T11 Jordan 19%

Emily 17%

Jeff 9%

Barrett 8% [using Jordan as the curve at 100%, that would be 89%, 47%, 42%.]

T12 Jordan 100%

Jeff 14%

Barrett 13%

Emily 9%

Playoffs Jordan 24%

Emily 16%

Barrett 10%

Jeff 7% [using Jordan as the curve at 100%, that would be 67%, 42%, 29%.]

So: Emily's sold 25%, 63%, 89%, 9%, and 67% of Jordan's sales. Average is 51%.

Barrett's sold 19%, 75%, 42%, 13%, and 42% of Jordan's sales. Average is 38%.

Jeff's sold 28%, 39%, 47%, 14%, and 29% of Jordan's sales. Average is 31%.

And really, if you don't try to take averages and take the raw percentages, he beats the 3 of them combined:

100+79+19+100+24=322

28+25+19+59+50+31+17+9+8+14+13+9+16+10+7=315

Edited by jjjmoss

No, Danielle's the best contestant from 9 seasons, sorry.

Yes he does.

At their peaks for sales

This week Jordan 100%

Jeff 28%

Emily 25%

Barrett 19%

T10 Jordan 79%

Barrett 59%

Emily 50%

Jeff 31% [using Jordan as the curve at 100%, that would be 75%, 63%, 39%.]

T11 Jordan 19%

Emily 17%

Jeff 9%

Barrett 8% [using Jordan as the curve at 100%, that would be 89%, 47%, 42%.]

T12 Jordan 100%

Jeff 14%

Barrett 13%

Emily 9%

Playoffs Jordan 24%

Emily 16%

Barrett 10%

Jeff 7% [using Jordan as the curve at 100%, that would be 67%, 42%, 29%.]

So: Emily's sold 25%, 63%, 89%, 9%, and 67% of Jordan's sales. Average is 51%.

Barrett's sold 19%, 75%, 42%, 13%, and 42% of Jordan's sales. Average is 38%.

Jeff's sold 28%, 39%, 47%, 14%, and 29% of Jordan's sales. Average is 31%.

And really, if you don't try to take averages and take the raw percentages, he beats the 3 of them combined:

100+79+19+100+24=322

28+25+19+59+50+31+17+9+8+14+13+9+16+10+7=315

How does this translate to the raw number advantage?  What is the number of cumulative votes for Jordan vs. Emily Ann v. Barrett vs. Jeffery?

And where is the above data coming from?  How reliable is the source?