Type keyword(s) to search

Matt Lauer: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

Well, I think Matt's legs look pretty good and they certainly look much better than Savannah's.    

I hate the shorts suit look (and I blame stupid Pharrell Williams for popularizing it), and I hope it's a flash in the pan.  Fortunately, I haven't seen it on the streets.  But Matt, Wille and Al were just modeling the supposed latest trends in men's fashions.  I thought Willie looked stupid in his getup, too--I hate the shirt tucked in front, shirt tail out in the back look.  And Al's purple shoes looked fugly. 

• Love 1

I think it's a bit too harsh, but then again I like Matt.  I just think the thread title should have nothing to do with one's personal life. 

How about Matt Lauer:  Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow?

• Love 1

How about Matt Lauer: He's come a long way since West Virginia?

My personal favorite Today moment with him was when either the governor or senator from West Virginia came on and reminded Matt of his start in West Virginia, numerous times. Matt was visibly doing a slow burn. It was awesome!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I have been wondering if anything would come out about Matt for a while now since all these allegations starting flying.  There have been rumors for years but for some reason I always thought his indiscretions were consensual.  That being said, I am shocked that NBC acted as quickly as they did.  CNN reported this morning that the NYT have been working on a story about Lauer, so maybe NBC wanted to get ahead of it.  Even so, it makes me a bit sad.  I've been watching Matt on Today since I was in high school and he was the news reader, before he became an anchor.  Who will replace him?  I hate to say it because I strongly dislike her, but MK would be a better fit just reading the straight news than what she's doing now with her talk show.  It's not a good fit for her.  Willie, Carson??  This one was truly a surprise for me (how quickly he was let go).

• Love 5

I wonder if he has a morality clause? I would hate to see him paid off to get rid of him, I have no doubt he did what he is accused of. I have heard rumors for years, they can't all be wrong. I wonder if we will see Natalie Morales again? I always heard about her and Matt the most. I think we will be hearing a lot more about this and his behavior in the coming weeks. I also wonder if his wife will finally divorce him, it sounds like she doesn't see him much anyway and his kids are older now I think. He was one of the last men that I had heard rumors of terrible behavior along with Kevin Spacey and Jeremy Piven. There are others I am sure but those were the ones I heard the most about so I am glad this has finally be brought to light.

• Love 3

Wonder if George S is quaking in his boots. Seems that news hosts are the target - from Hannity and Bill to Matt and Charlie Rose. And don't forget Billy Bush getting the axe. What could they have on George?? 

PS - you can rename this Matt Later-GONE TODAY

• Love 2

Interested in hearing this story play out.  Thinking about how many women have exited this show under strange circumstances; Ann Curry, Natalie Morelos, Tamron Hall.  Can't believe what a hypocrite Matt is reporting news stories on so many other men in similar situations.  His ego must be huge to think he was untouchable.  

• Love 12

NBC has known this was coming for months.  TPTB at NBC need be dragged through the mud from hell and back not only for waiting until these stories were about to break in the media but for most likely knowing about Lauer's behavior for years.  But what do you expect, this is the network who kept employed a certain reality show host who bragged on tape about kissing beautiful women and grabbing them by the pussy for years.

eta:  Oh, Today has already changed their header on their Twitter page.  Can't tell who that is behind their avatar.  Another pic of Al maybe?

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 6

No way there weren't rumors of this going on.  It's just like any workplace.  There is always an undercurrent of gossip.  Savannah, Hodi and Kathie Lee need to shut up.  Send your thoughts and prayers to the women who were his victims and his wife and children who now have to deal with this.  

I'm back to watching Today show.  I need to keep an eye on this trainwreck.  I'd like to think Ann Curry is somewhere right now enjoying every minute of this.  

• Love 18

A Blind Gossip site is claiming that this is a "solved" item. The woman who he supposedly had an affair with and had fired when she wanted a promotion was Amy Robach.    The rumor is that she had the affair to get ahead but was passed over because he had other girls he wanted promoted.  When she got angry, he made sure she was fired.

Watching Savanna, Hoda and KL crying over him was weird.   

I wonder if Natalie and Ann Curry will be coming out with accusations soon!  I am sure Ann is loving this!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, orangekit said:

Yeah.  I understand liking someone, but this would be a turn-off for me.

1 hour ago, orangekit said:

The rumor is that she had the affair to get ahead but was passed over because he had other girls he wanted promoted. 

Not fair.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Well they weren't sobbing hysterically or anything....I think they were just sad/disappointed because they've worked with him for so long and he was/is a friend.  For everyone saying that they had to have known....respectfully I disagree.  It's like finding out your best friend or your family member was accused of some heinous crime. A lot of times these things are kept very secret.  It's actually very common when someone commits a crime to have family or friends say they had no idea or that they person was a good person.  An abuser especially is usually a very good manipulator, so he/she can put on one face for the general public and another for his victim.  I think Savannah did a good job of acknowledging the colleague who came forward, while at the same time wrestling with her own feelings for Matt.  I think they were having genuine emotions, but I don't think they were over the top.

• Love 19

I think they were having genuine emotions, but I don't think they were over the top.

The only Today statement that had me looking sideways was Kathie Lee with that we need to forgive mess.  I know she was probably being guided by her Christianity and her personal experiences, but that was totally the wrong thing to say at this time. 

Maybe there could have been more Hoda, Savannah, Al and them could have done, but the ones ultimately at fault are Matt and the higher ups who let Matt be a controlling, tyrannical sexual harasser.

A Blind Gossip site is claiming that this is a "solved" item. The woman who he supposedly had an affair with and had fired when she wanted a promotion was Amy Robach.

Makes sense.  It seemed like she was going somewhere at Today and NBC News and then she got stuck on the weekends.  We'll probably find out for sure once the exposes start dropping.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

The only Today statement that had me looking sideways was Kathie Lee with that we need to forgive mess. 

Yeah I wasn't crazy about that either because she was comparing apples to oranges.  Having your husband cheat on you with a willing partner is humiliating and bad, but it is not nearly the same as sexual assault and possibly retaliating when someone files a complaint.  I really dislike when people say everyone makes mistakes and we need to forgive when discussing a crime.  Would they say the same about someone who committed a murder?  Hey, no one's perfect!  Who are we to judge?  It's ridiculous.

• Love 11

Kathie Lee needs to pack up her pulpit and move over to the Trinity, 700 Club or Christian Broadcasting Network. I am surprised NBC let's her get away with so much sermonzing. I am a Christian, God fearing woman but my beliefs are very personal and private to me. I watched this morning just to see and sure enough there she is, a handful of Kleenex and face all pale and somber, like Matt had died. And right away she makes it about herself, "when Frank cheated on me".....She and that laughing hyena sitting beside her are hypocritical dunces.

• Love 12

I have often thought that men can compartmentalize their souls and intentions..and reveal what certain people expect in certain situations. I bet Matt had some fooled but not every one. At first I was upset with the weeping over Matt by Savannah and Hoda but given that he was fired this morning..and the shock was still there, I'll give them a pass...at least Norah ad Gayle had a day to almost prepare for Charlie's ouster at CBS...these people had NO warning...the execs knew but the on air talent may not have known.

• Love 4

Savannah and Hoda annoy me. I just watched the clip from this morning. Savannah was talking in this little girl voice about her dear, dear friend who is loved by many, blah, blah. Hoda is nodding along. Grasping hands. Omg. Be professional!! They are acting like he was a saint who died. He is a major perv who has disrespected and assaulted numerous women. They HAD to have been aware of some of this behavior. At the very least, there had to have been rumors circulating in the workplace. Kathie Lee is not left out of this either. She is not naive. I am sure she knew some of what was going on. She needs to stop with her sexual innuendoes too. It goes both ways.

• Love 8

So apparently, many higher ups at NBC have the Supervillain Lair Button to lock their doors from the desk, but most just don't use it to be creeps. Good to know, I guess.

Now, I'm just going to assume that every famous man rumored to hook up with younger women on the job, is actually some gross predator. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 4

If the specific allegations against Matt Lauer are true, then I think that a judge should sentence Lauer to a painful visit with Lorraine Bobbitt.  This so-called "man" has damaged the psyches of countless women and even had a hand in ending careers.  However, I do feel that Lauer was only part of the problem.  NBC has known for years about what Lauer was doing, yet it failed to act on the complaints.  The same thing may go on at other networks and companies.  At least there is the satisfaction of knowing that the problem of women being abused in the workplace is finally getting some serious attention.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Savannah and Hoda annoy me. I just watched the clip from this morning. Savannah was talking in this little girl voice about her dear, dear friend who is loved by many, blah, blah. Hoda is nodding along. Grasping hands. Omg. Be professional!! They are acting like he was a saint who died. He is a major perv who has disrespected and assaulted numerous women. They HAD to have been aware of some of this behavior. 

I thought Savannah was trying very hard to seem upset - fake voice, deliberate body language, laying it on too thick. She even cracked a smile during her comments. She didn't seem all that broken up to me. I'm sure she knew and isn't the least bit surprised.

2 hours ago, kayma said:

I thought Savannah was trying very hard to seem upset - fake voice, deliberate body language, laying it on too thick. She even cracked a smile during her comments. She didn't seem all that broken up to me. I'm sure she knew and isn't the least bit surprised.

Who knows? Maybe he had done something to her in the past and she’s happy to be rid of him. One less obstacle In her path to the top. Now she can demand more money and top billing, although I think Megan Kelly will challenge Savannah to a steel cage match or something like a Today Show Thunderdome Match. I’d watch!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, kayma said:

My colleague is convinced it was Savannah who made the report. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

Kathie Lee needs to pack up her pulpit and move over to the Trinity, 700 Club or Christian Broadcasting Network. I am surprised NBC let's her get away with so much sermonzing. I am a Christian, God fearing woman but my beliefs are very personal and private to me. I watched this morning just to see and sure enough there she is, a handful of Kleenex and face all pale and somber, like Matt had died. And right away she makes it about herself, "when Frank cheated on me".....She and that laughing hyena sitting beside her are hypocritical dunces.

ITA! She’s annoying ! 

• Love 4

Kathie Lee irritated me for three reasons:  1) She went on and on for far too long, seemingly trying to get the entire country back to church on Sundays.  2) She nauseated me with her reference to her own problems with her husband's infidelity.  No matter the subject, that woman inserts herself into almost every story.  The subject was Matt Lauer, not Kathie Lee and her late husband.  How does Hoda tolerate her?  3) Having admittedly had a long affair with tenor Placido Domingo, who was married, who is Kathie Lee to speak about infidelity?

Edited by Lura
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Yeah I wasn't crazy about that either because she was comparing apples to oranges.  Having your husband cheat on you with a willing partner is humiliating and bad, but it is not nearly the same as sexual assault and possibly retaliating when someone files a complaint.  I really dislike when people say everyone makes mistakes and we need to forgive when discussing a crime.  Would they say the same about someone who committed a murder?  Hey, no one's perfect!  Who are we to judge?  It's ridiculous.

I didn't see the segment with Kathie Lee (a person that I don't have much tolerance for under most circumstances), but adultery IS a form of sexual assault against your spouse (assuming that the adulterer and his/her spouse continue to be sexually active during/after the affair). My consent to sexual activity with my husband is predicated on the implicit assumption that we are sexually monogamous. If he is sleeping with someone else without my knowledge, he no longer has my full consent for sex. I'm just not going to be able to know I should decline sex with him if he is having a secret affair.

ETA: I'm not saying that adultery meets the legal definition of assault (although I think the argument could be made that it does and as a lawyer I'd be interested to see if there is any case law to support that interpretation of "consent" in rape/sexual assault cases. But regardless of the legality of the conduct, ethically/morally I don't think we should making a distinction between sexual assault and adultery (again, so long as the adulterer continues to have sexual relationship with his/her spouse without revealing the affair).

Edited by FlyingDuchess
Clarification
  • Love 1

There is a big difference between cheating on your spouse with a willing partner and pretty much terrorizing whomever you may please at work because you have the power and no one will challenge you for fear they will lose their career.  The women tell they still end up losing their career or are saddled with the label of not being a "team player."  They get to be grilled in the press about why they didnt come forward sooner/why they stayed.  Thank God it seems that the tide is turning.  Good for all the women coming forward.  Why should they have to be ashamed.  Shame the abusers.  Matt is finally getting a little taste of humiliation he has dished out to all his victims over the years. 

Edited by vmcd88
  • Love 15

Matt's wife stopped the divorce proceedings back whenever that happened and they have chosen to remain married but live separately.  My guess is for financial reasons. 

I wonder how this is affecting her.  I am sure she is not shocked but this will impact her.  How is the question.  Yes they have plenty of money but that can be reduced sustancionally should his victims sue.  They would would have a strong case if proven he had them fired so lost their source of income.  And that of course involves NBC execs since Matt alone cannot fire someone alone without others on top agreeing.   Not being a lawyer I really have no idea. Statute of limitations on this sort of thing could be expired.  

I am excited to see where this is going.  Probably nowhere. Mart is done with his career and that may be the end of it.  

3) Having admittedly had a long affair with tenor Placido Domingo, who was married, who is Kathie Lee to speak about infidelity?

Whoa, wait a minute, say what??? I had never heard this!  Was this after Frank died?

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 8

Curious if they read this on the show today? If so, who did they have read it?

There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.

Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.

Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.

I didn't watch today but did Kathie Lee make any comments on what has now been reported in graphic detail what Matt did?

Yesterday she adored him, I wonder if that is still true.

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Curious if they read this on the show today? If so, who did they have read it?

There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.

Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.

Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.

I watched it.  Savannah read it first thing.