Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Yippie Kayak

• Start Topic

Man, this was a great show all around.

Amy's face after saying "This one thinks July 18th is Mid-July" was perfect.

"Terry regrets how he picked up the phone." Loved Terry finally telling Zeke to get a job.

I'm not looking forward to the show moving to Tuesday in January. It's going to compete with all the other Tuesday shows.

• Love 5

This episode was amazing. Loved everything about Jake's Die Hard fantasy coming to life. His disappointment in the bad guy being named "Matt" was fantastic. And then "Finally! A DECENT BAD GUY!" Gina was pretty annoying, though, and she doesn't usually annoy me. The obsession with the flamethrower idea was a bit much, but then Gina is "a bit much" in general.

• Love 2

"Shut your dumb poem mouth!"

I enjoyed the Jake, Gina, Boyle combo, but I find I really miss the Jake/Amy interaction.

Sweet Jake apologizing to Boyle. And giving up his John McLane moment.

"Yippee kayak, other buckets!"

• Love 6

I enjoyed the Jake, Gina, Boyle combo, but I find I really miss the Jake/Amy interaction.

I appreciate that the show is almost going out of its way to avoid many of the stock problems with romantic plots, such as the two characters being defined wholly by their relationship and becoming isolated from everybody else, but I think the show could stand to give them a bit more focus as a couple, if it's going to be an important part of their lives.

• Love 4

Fun episode. I loved Jake's joy in finally got his Die Hard scenario (trapped with terrorists on Christmas) and "Oh no! Crime." Then later being disappointed they were Canadian not German.

Great cold open.

Amy was hilarious this episode. I laughed out loud when she chickened out and ran from the freezing water! Also seeing Rosa in a bikini was a nice bonus.

Loved that they got the Vulture is back in the Deputy Chief role in DIE HARD and his lines were gold. "I wish my lesbian neighbors were hotter!"

Oddly enough I'm back to liking Gina again. I liked the Ramon thing and the payoff to the flamethrower.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I usually am good at not letting real life effect my viewing, but after hearing about it, I definitely noticed this time they were hiding Melissa Fumero's pregnancy, by having Amy wearing that big-ass coat for most of her scenes.  It at least worked in the context of that segment, but I'm curious to see how they will keep doing this going forward.  Wish we got more of the Holt/Amy/Rosa trio (and not just because it had Rosa in a swimsuit...), but I enjoyed the moments they had. Especially loved Amy snapping and yelling at Holt to tell him what was going on.  I love it whenever there is a moment where Amy drops her normal respect for Holt, and just has to power over him.

Jake finally getting live his Die Hard scenario was fun.  Gina's obsession with the flamethrower was getting annoyed, but I'm just glad that they didn't actually have her be the hero, and instead got herself caught with ease, after she foolishly tried to go rogue.  Instead, it was Boyle getting his John McClane on!  Loved it!  Even if he totally butchered the catchphrase!

Thought they actually used The Vulture pretty well, by having him be a roadblock for Terry, and Terry awesomely just tossing him aside (in the garbage.)  I also liked that you can tell that some of the other cops really don't care for The Vulture either (the sniper, the two cops who simply watched Terry carry him away), so I can buy that no one was really going to stop Terry, because they all think he's a jackass too.  And it sounds like they're setting it up to make Terry take the lieutenant's exam.

Liked the scene with Terry and his family, and him letting loose on Zeke was actually good progression for Terry's character.  Hopefully, he'll no longer let that guy keep putting him down.

Jake/Andy Samberg's Canadian accent made me laugh more then I probably should of.

So, this is the last episode before it is moved back to Tuesdays, right?  I hope it works in that time-slot.  I know it has to go against Marvel Agent shows (Carter and Shield), but FOX usually pretty good at getting this On Demand quickly, so it should work out for me.  But I'm worried about it dropping too much in the ratings.

• Love 6

Loved this episode. Even Gina/Perretti or The Vulture couldn't ruin it. The only time I've ever liked The Vulture is tonight when Terry was carrying him to the garbage.

The whole Die Hard plot was great. It was such a simple thing but even Jake writing on his wrist made me LoL.

• Love 4

Loved the idea that Jake was regularly texting little notes like, "Still in a robbery!" through the whole thing.

Also that Terry would fall back on a career as a model, "because you're shredded and I respect that."

Edited by dusang
  • Love 6

As usual, this show is awesome.

I liked that Boyle butchered the catchphrase for two reasons - 1) it is so Boyle and 2) it reminded me when they would air Die Hard on TV and they had to censor the cursing. Instead of just bleeping it out, they would dub some other words in and they never made sense.  My brother and I would laugh so hard.

• Love 6

As usual, this show is awesome.

I liked that Boyle butchered the catchphrase for two reasons - 1) it is so Boyle and 2) it reminded me when they would air Die Hard on TV and they had to censor the cursing. Instead of just bleeping it out, they would dub some other words in and they never made sense.  My brother and I would laugh so hard.

At first, that was why I thought Boyle had made the mistake - that he didn't want to curse. But then when he was all, "I'm pretty sure that's right." Cracked me up.

Edited by bethy
  • Love 3

At first, that was why I thought Boyle had made the mistake - that he didn't want to curse. But then when he was all, "I'm pretty sure that's right." Cracked me up.

Perhaps it's because Boyle has only watched the edited for TV version?  

Overall I loved this episode, great use of all the characters.  

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 8

Perhaps it's because Boyle has [only] watched the edited for TV version?

That's what I was thinking. My family and I still giggle over Jackie Gleason yelling "scum bum" through the entire '80s tv edit of Smokey and the Bandit.

• Love 1

Is it just me, or did Boyle look kinda sexy and macho when he burst out of the vent in his white tank top and smashed the Actual Bad Guy! in the head? Of course, he brought it right back to his normal vibe when he mangled the catch phrase, but still.

I also love that we are always reminded that, even though Jake is like a puppy in most regards, and Boyle is over the top in all his emotions, all of these cops are good at their jobs. I loved seeing Jake and Boyle using various random store implements to knock out the bad guys. They're silly, but they're still competent.

Edited by axlmadonna
  • Love 9

The cold open: Isn't Amy Santiago just the cutest dork in the entire world? She was so pleased with herself for figuring out a 'foolproof' way of giving Captain Holt a Christmas gift.

Amy always being cold is something I can relate to. While I don't feel the cold too badly, my hands and feet are always freezing, much to my girlfriend's annoyance. Also, thanks for Stephanie Beatriz in a bathing suit, but why did you have to do this storyline when Melissa Fumero was pregnant and couldn't be shown in the same? Boo. But how sweet that she braved that ice cold water because Jake was in danger.

Carbonated fudge sounds pretty... I don't even know what it sounds like.

"Are you excited about going to town on daddy's 'nog?" For once, I agree with Gina. Charles has ruined Christmas. But Jake getting real life Die Hard for Christmas was a hell of a gift. He looked so happy. I'm surprised it took them until the third season for this.

The montage of Jake and Charles taking out the robbers was great, and just highlighted again that, as goofy and daft as they are, they're really good at their jobs.

Loved Terry blowing up at Zeke. Long past time for that to happen, although I do like it when Zeke pops in for the odd gag.

The Vulture is such a dick, and everyone knows it.

"See that sniper behind you? He'll shoot anyone I tell him to. Even you."

"No I won't."

They should have ended before that annoying, gina-indulging bit of nonsense at the end. They have her be tolerable for nearly the whole episode, then tag it with that? Sigh.

• Love 6

I'm Canadian and Jake doing that Canadian accent was so funny.  I really liked that.  It was so over the top but I thought the whole thing was adorable.  He did it so he could use all the stereotypes he knows.  "I'm SOO-RY ABOOT THAT EH?"

I thought everything the Vulture said was funny too.  And Rosa has a super sick body.

Something I've never liked is Terry referring to himself in the 3rd person.  I don't like those jokes that are meant to be jokes just because it's a thing. "It's funny, because Terry is referring to himself in the 3rd person."  No it isn't, not to me.  There's no actual humour there for me.

• Love 2

That's what I was thinking. My family and I still giggle over Jackie Gleason yelling "scum bum" through the entire '80s tv edit of Smokey and the Bandit.

I'm on the same wavelength, But that would have involved the using "Mr. Falcon" instead of Other Buckets, and wouldn't have explained Kayak as neatly.

I can imagine Charles sitting in his ex's basement, seeing that Die Hard was about to come on TBS and watching it ever so intently knowing it was Jakes favorite movie.

• Love 4

I can imagine that Boyle has only seen the TBS version of Die Hard. Jake needs to help him out with that. 

Loved the sniper guy doing a deadpan "no" after The Vulture was saying he could get him to shoot Terry if he wanted to. I have to imagine that other cops hate the Vulture too, its amazing he has gotten as far up the chain as he has. 

The Jake/Amy kiss was adorable. Can we get more of them together next batch of episodes? Sometimes, I do feel like the writers are a little nervous about making it the "Jake and Amy Love Fest", so they keep them apart a little bit too much. Minor complaint though. 

• Love 6
Something I've never liked is Terry referring to himself in the 3rd person.  I don't like those jokes that are meant to be jokes just because it's a thing. "It's funny, because Terry is referring to himself in the 3rd person."  No it isn't, not to me.  There's no actual humour there for me.

I'm not a fan of that trope either, but dammit Terry Crews makes it WORK.

• Love 3

I'm not a fan of that trope either, but dammit Terry Crews makes it WORK.

It hasn't bugged me, since it never seems to be done for conceit reasons.  And I actually thought of something that makes sense in the context of his character, as someone who is a father of a pre-schooler, I refer to myself as "Daddy" a lot, I wonder if the third person thing is a carryover from referring himself in the third person all the time at home with his own kids.  We all know that his subordinates are pretty much overgrown children in their own way.

• Love 4

Sometimes, I do feel like the writers are a little nervous about making it the "Jake and Amy Love Fest"...

Not without reason. Critical voices were heard at the beginning of this season complaining that the show had been ruined by becoming "The Jake and Amy Show." Myself, I didn't think so then, and I don't think so now. I think they're actually walking the line pretty near perfectly, giving us scenes with the two of them without letting them dominate every episode.

• Love 12

Yeah, I think it's been pretty perfect too.  I love Jake and Amy, but I don't want their relationship to dominate the show.   So far I've been very impressed with the way they've been handling it.

Edited to ask:  Can someone please tell me the Die Hard quote that Boyle mangled so hilariously?   Feel free to leave out some of the curse word letters if it's really bad... I'm sure I'll get the gist.

Edited by AnnaRose

Edited to ask: Can someone please tell me the Die Hard quote that Boyle mangled so hilariously? Feel free to leave out some of the curse word letters if it's really bad... I'm sure I'll get the gist.

• Love 1

Ah, I thought it might have been that.   But he didn't say it after jumping out of an air vent, huh?   I thought it might have been a more direct homage of the scene or something.

The "real" John McClane says it several times, including once coming out of a vent.

Jake, trying not to get shot: "10 is a nice round number; 11 would just be cumbersome."  Günter seemed to be considering it before Boyle bonked his bean.

• Love 3

Not without reason. Critical voices were heard at the beginning of this season complaining that the show had been ruined by becoming "The Jake and Amy Show." Myself, I didn't think so then, and I don't think so now. I think they're actually walking the line pretty near perfectly, giving us scenes with the two of them without letting them dominate every episode.

I wouldn't quite agree with that. While the Jake/Amy romantic relationship is being handled well, I find myself missing their everyday interactions, even if it was just a brief scene or two. For instance, when Jake was preparing to be Charles's best man, and Amy snarked at him over it. He gave a jab back, then they got on with their respective storylines. I miss those moments.

The bigger issue is, whoever is in Jake's storyline gets the most to do in any given episode, and Amy is my favourite character. I don't like her being shuffled off into B or C-plots every week.

• Love 2

I actually tend to find that funny, but for some reason this time it bugged me a little. Usually I think it just fits (I'm still giggling about "Terry loves responsible agricultural practises!") but this time I thought it felt forced and unnecessary.

Amy turning around and screaming "NOOOO!" as soon as she touched the water was hilarious. Also nice to see the return of the competitive Amy who wants to show everyone she can do anything they can.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 1

They need to make another Die Hard movie with him coming out of a vent.

They did make another Die Hard movie (A Good Day to Die Hard) but I haven't seen it so I can't say if he came out of a vent.  I did enjoy Die Hard, Die Hard with a Vengeance, and Live Free or Die Hard but the commercials for #5 were enough to keep me away.  (Now, if Andy Samberg could get into the prequel....)

ETA: I just read that entire prequel fan-pitch -- I would see that movie.  Although JGL might have a lock on the young McClane role.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

To be fair, Boyle didn't just say it while coming out of an air vent, he said it while coming out of an air vent and whacking the baddest bad guy upside the head with a blunt object, which is about as badass as Boyle has ever been :)

• Love 3

Amy was hilarious this episode. I laughed out loud when she chickened out and ran from the freezing water! Also seeing Rosa in a bikini was a nice bonus.

Melissa nailed her delivery from the moment she got Jake's texts. Her fear while approaching the water, her snapping at Holt, then apologizing, then retracting her apology, then getting back to business made me howl. I had to pause, collect myself...and then replay it. :D

Also that Terry would fall back on a career as a model, "because you're shredded and I respect that."

I loved the Vulture's detached appreciation of Terry's physique. Made a nice change from the usually uncomfortably inappropriate comments from Gina.

The cold open: Isn't Amy Santiago just the cutest dork in the entire world? She was so pleased with herself for figuring out a 'foolproof' way of giving Captain Holt a Christmas gift.

Andy Samberg is ruining my life right now because that man rocks a smitten look. When Amy was delightedly explaining her process, he just had this face while watching her which screamed "you are a giant dork and I can't believe how much I love it." So...fond and tolerant. :D

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 9

Andy Samberg is ruining my life right now because that man rocks a smitten look. When Amy was delightedly explaining her process, he just had this face while watching her which screamed "you are a giant dork and I can't believe how much I love it." So...fond and tolerant. :D

Jake loves Amy for who she is -- he loves her for her dorkiness, not in spite of it.  That's what makes him so much better than the usual "man-child" -- on TV and off.

• Love 9

Jake loves Amy for who she is -- he loves her for her dorkiness, not in spite of it.  That's what makes him so much better than the usual "man-child" -- on TV and off.

What I find interesting though is that he nearly always calls attention to when she's behaving that way; he doesn't just ignore it. He identifies the OOT Amy-ness of some of her actions, usually "judges" it, smiles like a sap at her, and then continues to love her. :D

Ugh, I just love these two. They are filling in the Leslie/Ben hole in my life.

• Love 4

What I find interesting though is that he nearly always calls attention to when she's behaving that way; he doesn't just ignore it. He identifies the OOT Amy-ness of some of her actions, usually "judges" it, smiles like a sap at her, and then continues to love her. :D

Ugh, I just love these two. They are filling in the Leslie/Ben hole in my life.

He's always been like that with her, which I think was something that made them stand out from the usual manchild/sensible girl pairings. One of my favourite moments from season 1 was in the Thanksgiving episode, where Amy shows them the speech she's prepared, and Jake comments that it's eight sides, she tells him it's single spaced, and he counters with "Santiago style". He doesn't do it in a mean, or even teasing, way like most shows would with a dork like Amy, he sounds completely fond of her and amused despite his own antipathy for Thanksgiving.

I like that the writers aren't having either Amy or Jake want to change or 'improve', either themselves or each other. That's something that bugs the crap out of me in TV relationships. Having said that, I would enjoy a running theme of Amy trying to get Jake to eat better, because there are so many gags to be mined from his terrible eating habits, and it's a storyline that could include other characters, like Terry and Charles.

• Love 1

Yeah, as soon as I typed that, I thought it might have been Donna. Sure sounds like a Tom-ism though.  Thanks, Brandi!

I think Donna would say "Ben is filling the Leslie hole." and Tom would come up with an obnoxious couple nickname for them or have a silly euphemism.  Now I'm trying to think of a "chicky chicky parm parm" style name for sex.