Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

Agree with so many things people have said. Rachel's family is awesome. I loved seeing John Sr. watching them dance and singing along. I do not get a deadbeat vibe at all, but more the older generational gender roles at play. John Jr. has a great sense of humor. I think in some ways he seems so much more capable than some of the others. And I hope Steven's new job gives him the challenges he wants.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, kassa said:

I looked on pubmed for paternal age and Down syndrome and it looks like it isn't really an issue unless the mother is over 35 and at that point it multiplies the odds.  So if you're a 38 year old woman the odds are higher than a 30 year old, but if the father is 50 the odds are higher than if the father is also 38.

Yep, I just recently had my first (and probably last) baby at 39 in late April, and my husband is 19 years older than I. I was shocked to learn from the genetic counselor that not only his age matters too (because of mine), but being an Ashkenazi Jew not only raises the chances of other genetic disorders, but so does being pure blooded Italian (his side). Luckily, all the genetic tests came out negative, and our baby is a healthy, happy 6 week old!

So it IS possible for both parents to be older and still have a perfectly healthy baby, but I honesty don't know what I would have done if one of the tests had come up positive for something. The parents on this show are more than just a little brave, IMO. I give them TONS of credit! Especially Kris, I may not like her personality either, but to me she seems to have it the hardest without a doubt.

• Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

We've seen him several times, and he's talked some, but we hear a lot more from Joyce.

It was sad to see how little they know each other - Joyce, overhearing their conversation, said it was like they were trying to catch up on 30 years in one afternoon - because it sounded like a conversation between an adult child and the father who'd left 30 years ago and just came back into the kid's life, except John Sr. has been a member of the household all this time.  I wonder if he was any more involved with his daughters' lives.

Probably not. My dad is similar to John's dad,not very emotional as a dad, serious about bringing home the bacon, step in as disciplinarian when needed but no real quality time spent as a father. Before my mom died they'd been married just short of 30 years. My siblings and I are all neurotypical and of average intelligence and health, but let me tell you I don't know him at all as a person nor does he know me or any of my siblings. What little we all know about him we learned from our mom, and vice versa for him about us; she was the tie that bonded all of us. She was his wife and our mom, the roles were very distinct and did not intersect, if that makes sense.

Like John, as adults we're trying to foster some kind of bond with our dad, and he has come leaps and bounds, but it will never be a fully fleshed out bond like what we had with our mother, because we just co-existed all of those formative years. I too would be shocked if my dad knew what activity I enjoyed, let alone showed up and did something with me. Not a bad father by any means, just not the modern day demonstratively emotionally bonded dad. Showed love by keeping everyone fed, clothed, housed and safe.

Edited by ChaChaSlide
  • Love 8
On 6/9/2017 at 0:09 AM, Hellohappylife said:

Just got around to watching the new episodes.

I could just watch Rachael with her brother & his husband all day. I thought it was great how they kept reminding Rachael that there is a chance she wouldn't get that role but not to get discouraged by it & helped her practice. You can tell they both care for her. They are so fun!

it blew my mind when I realized johns dad was in his 80s.  Forgive me if I sound stupid,but could his fathers age be a reason or factor of john being born with DS? Or does age not matter with men? Or does that only count for women?

I never have any issues with kris but it annoyed me how when Meghan & Steven were alone & kris was talking to his parents & bring up the topic about sex & kris was "well I have the girl,the daughter" I took it as kris thinking if Meghan get pregnant she's stuck raising another child,meanwhile Steven walks free.....It just reminded me of my aunt who's teenage daughters end up pregnant & she blamed it on the mother of the sons.  It takes 2 people to make a baby, the egg doesn't get fertilized by itself. 

I agreed with this about Kris as well, but as the date progressed, I felt myself growing anxious along with her. You know if she had been in her own home, she would have raced up the stairs as soon as she heard Megan's horny giggle. Instead, she just sat there helpless as she repeatedly asked Stephens parents to go check on him snd they just sat there laughing like yeah son get some.

• Love 7

See I did not think that's  what his parents  were thinking ,  I thought  they trusted  Steven .  Also  the door was open , I believe  if they heard the  door  close  they would  have gone up and checked  things out. But there is a good  chance  I am wrong  about  that . 

• Love 9
On 6/9/2017 at 0:36 PM, PrincessAndrea said:

Yep, I just recently had my first (and probably last) baby at 39 in late April, and my husband is 19 years older than I. I was shocked to learn from the genetic counselor that not only his age matters too (because of mine), but being an Ashkenazi Jew not only raises the chances of other genetic disorders, but so does being pure blooded Italian (his side). Luckily, all the genetic tests came out negative, and our baby is a healthy, happy 6 week old!

So it IS possible for both parents to be older and still have a perfectly healthy baby, but I honesty don't know what I would have done if one of the tests had come up positive for something. The parents on this show are more than just a little brave, IMO. I give them TONS of credit! Especially Kris, I may not like her personality either, but to me she seems to have it the hardest without a doubt.

Congrats PrincessAndrea!

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't think any of the cast members should 'date'  (I'm not sure how real their relationship was.)wether they realize it or not they are co workers on a show and I don't think they should mix work with pleasure so to speak. Any real breakup would make their' work environment'  awkward and strained and I'm not so  sure  they can maturely handle that, most adults can't. 

Edited by anonymousgirl
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, anonymousgirl said:

I don't think any of the cast members should 'date'  (I'm not sure how real their relationship was.)wether they realize it or not they are co workers on a show and I don't they should mix work with pleasure so to speak 

I agree on this.  The question of whether the relationship was producer driven or real is what really bothers me.  I understand that if they thought it was real it was real, but the issue is that if there are producers pushing them to enter into the relationship and making them think it was genuine, that can be so confusing.  I think sustaining a relationship with someone at work is hard enough if you don't have DS.  I just can't imagine the confusion that could stem from producer driven reality for someone with DS.  I really hope these parents are vigilant about protection their children.

• Love 6
(edited)

Oh, what a lovely, lovely young woman Cristina is.  She showed up to her sad friend's house with ice cream and cupcakes after a break-up and danced with her (and quite well!) until she smiled again.  DS or no DS, that is a beautiful thing to do and many people without DS wouldn't even think to do it for their friend.  Cristina's equally awesome parents have done an outstanding job with her.

On to the Steven/Megan break-up.  I understand that this show exists to show us how people with DS interact with others and overcome life's obstacles, but I don't think these sensitive matters of the heart should be used as plot points, especially if there is even a smidgen of a chance of producer involvement or influence.  I strongly believe that people with DS should have the same opportunities that we do to explore romantic relationships, but it feels really creepy to be watching Megan weep in despair over her confused first boyfriend breaking up with her.  Steven is in desperate need of relationship guidance.  I think he's getting that from his parents and other trusted individuals in his life.  I just think that the world at-large shouldn't be privy to the private, vulnerable moments between them.  These people aren't Kardashians, for whom every moment in and out of the bedroom is up for filming, dissection, and public ridicule (on awesome forums like this one).

As for Megan, she is also in need of guidance on relationships, but I worry that Kris is the last person capable of handling that task.  I have no doubt that Megan smothered Steven and moved in on him like a freight train with constant texts, FaceTimes, phone calls, and demands for reassurance.  Again, the tendency of men to be put off by that kind of pressure is one of those things that transcends DS.  As critical as I tend to be of Kris about her parenting, I can't imagine what it's like as a parent to teach an adult daughter with DS how to navigate a romantic relationship with an adult man who also has DS.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 16
(edited)

I caught the last couple of minutes, with Megan throwing a fit in the main room while everyone else was in the kitchen, and my growing like for Elena moved forward another notch when she attempted to stop the others from going out there, saying to give her some space.  Because either way - if Megan was doing it for attention or if she was blowing off some steam (I think you should do it at home, in private, with your own stuff, but I am in full support of a brief tantrum from time to time before regrouping and moving forward, and that's for "typical" people) - leaving her alone is the appropriate response; if it's the former scenario, don't reward her, and if it's the latter, don't bother her.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

Megan needs to take it down about a thousand notches. It's obvious she's watched a lot of TV and movies and thinks that level of drama is appropriate for real life. A lot of the phrases she uses are movie cliches that don't quite fit the situation. I wonder if it's too late to help her learn to be more realistic and manage her emotions and impulses, and whether Kris can help much. 

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Megan needs to take it down about a thousand notches. It's obvious she's watched a lot of TV and movies and thinks that level of drama is appropriate for real life. A lot of the phrases she uses are movie cliches that don't quite fit the situation. I wonder if it's too late to help her learn to be more realistic and manage her emotions and impulses, and whether Kris can help much. 

Yep.  Rachel's mom needs to come and have the talk she had with Rachel about coming on too strong.  Kris seems to know what the problem is and doesn't do much to correct the behavior.  I think Steven's parents have correctly identified what's up and are gently guiding Steven to understand that it's okay if he's not ready for all that yet.  And every time Megan makes sure to look directly at the camera and recite one of her lines makes me question just how sincere she really is.  She did it tonight when she was facetiming Steven.  She's supposed to be all broken up, but she makes sure to talk directly to the camera with her line: "This is complicated."  She would have totally been made to clean up her mess, which was just another scene from a movie, before she made her dramatic exit stage left.  Megan would really do well with something to do.  Whatever happened to her taking classes or getting a real job.  She wouldn't have time for all this melodramatic DRAMA if she had something else going on in her life.    

Despite all the histrionics from Megan, I felt more bad for Steven.  He doesn't want a marriage or a long-term, serious relationship right now.  He just wants to have fun with a girl he likes.  Megan thinks she supposed to live out some rom-com/drama where they get married and have babies at the end wants all the stuff she's ever seen in all the movies and TV shows she's ever watched.  Everything is some cliche catch phrase that she isn't even really sure what it means.  Steven certainly doesn't, so he's doing the right thing and calling it off.  He's not above using his own pop culture phrase or two ("off the market").

• Love 11
4 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Agree 100% I eye rolled thru most of her scenes. I can't tell if she is "acting" or if she really believe those lines. "You promised you would love me" "Steven Clark you're gonna regret losing me" ... I cringed the whole time!  She came off super needy & you can tell Steven isn't into that at all.  Steven seems to be a bit more mature then Meghan when it comes to relationships,life goals,skills. Etc. You see him ordering his own food at restaurants,working a real job. He is more realistic when it comes to relationships,I think he does want romance but he also realizes that he is young & wants to have options,which is completely fine,he was honest & respectful  towards Meghan. Mentally Meghan is way younger then him,he wanted to discuss other things but Meghan always seemed to bring the conversations back to the lovey doveybstuff and he got bored.

• Love 9

Steven reacted to the relationship like most men. Do not be clingy. Megan, in her constant Megan way, came on like gang busters. Steven didn't know what hit him. The one word he used that was so appropriate was "overwhelmed". The sad part was he didn't quite know how to express it to Megan. He did with his dad but he just didn't find the right words with Megan and reduced it to "I want to see other girls".  

• Love 10

I was wondering  if it was  just me. I thought  Steven  handled  it well for a young man. He is what  in his early  20s? From what I remember  this is his first  relationship , he was not perfect  but he did the best he could . 

• Love 9

I don't like Megan but I felt sorry for her. she was genuinely hurting. Guys with disabilities can be total assholes just like other guys. I used to like Steven. I don't anymore. I realize thar Megan is way too clingy and moves too fast. But Steven just told her he wished they could be in love forever then a day or two later he breaks up. With her and doesn't care about her anymore. I don't even think he missed Megan. At first I thought maybe his parents convinced him Megan was too much and encouraged the breakup. But now I think they encouraged him to apologize and get back with her. Megan is basically set up as the star of the show and Kris probably has some pull. Hurt Megan and u might not be included next season. Steven doesn't have much of a storyline anyway. And Steven you want to see other girls? I don't see any girls lining up to hang out with you. Wasn't Megan his first girlfriend? 

Loved seeing John's dad at the shower. Loved John's reaction to the chocolate in the diaper! Grossed me out too John so I know how ya feel. 

I agree  Christina is a wonderful young  lady. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think he told Megan all that love stuff on their walk when they saw the rainbow. If what we saw was in proper order then the scene in the bedroom was after the walk. I think Megan's overtures in the bedroom freaked Steven out. He was totally out of his depth. Even though Steven is Mosaic DS and therefore more aware, he still has DS and did not know how to fix what he was feeling nor how to communicate it. Let's not forget that right before Steven, Megan was prepared to marry the other boyfriend. She broke up with him for Steven. I hope I'm remembering all this correctly. I'm not trying to absolve or defend  anyone - just remembering that these kids don't understand mature relationships at all. They are all learning and their hearts are fragile.

Edited by Ina123
  • Love 9
(edited)

I'm kind of confused when Kris said Megan was going through this for the first time as far as I know this wasn't her first breakup, but maybe a first rejection? Megan  didn't even act this way with her longterm boyfriend.  So Its ok for Megan to braakup with somebody but when  someone does it to her its not ok?   Megan is trying to paint him as a bad guy  with the group he is not, he was honest with her least he did  didn't string her along and cheat on her.I'm not sure why she is acting like this after three dates? Unless the went out longer and it wasn't presented that way In the show?  kris is right  she should learn to be happy with herself first and mature a bit, but I see her and Sean chasing after each other in the previews apparently, she doesn't like to be alone it seems.  Most of the  people  in the group I think need some specialized guidance in relationships because they Both sounded confused about what it means to be in a relationship, dating, vs seeing each other 

With all that said I'm still not sure how real  their relationship was and like I said  I don't think any of the cast members should 'date'  wether they realize it or not they are co workers on a show and I don't think they should mix work with pleasure so to speak. Any real breakup would make their' work environment'  awkward  with everyone and strained and I'm not so  sure  they can maturely handle that, most adults can't. 

I'm glad we got to see Elena some Hopefully now we can focus on other things on the show .

Edited by anonymousgirl
  • Love 5

I absolutely love Sean C and his relationship with his best man, Sean. What a great guy. I always assumed he was his caregiver but apparently they were friends in high school. Stuff like that just melts my heart.

Speaking of melting hearts: omg Rachel is an angel on this earth. I just love her so much. I love her new commitment to chase her dreams and try everything. She 's (and her awesome mom) such an inspiration. 

What happens at the man shower stays at the man shower. Loved seeing all these wonderful guys, even Rocco was there! And Angel's "the party has arrived" face when he walked in was everything.

I might be hormonal, but I cried about 12 times this episode. Not the Megan kind. Aside from her segments, this episode had the sweetness of season one, but with a newfound confidence in folks like Rachel and Elena. Watching just felt good. 

• Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, anonymousgirl said:

So Its ok for Megan to braakup with somebody but when  someone does it to her its not ok? 

My thoughts exactly.  Because he lived in another state, she didn't see him upset (if he was upset).   I hope producers aren't driving some of Megan's comments and behaviors.

Here's a good example from Poster KBrownie:   And every time Megan makes sure to look directly at the camera and recite one of her lines makes me question just how sincere she really is.  She did it tonight when she was facetiming Steven.  She's supposed to be all broken up, but she makes sure to talk directly to the camera with her line: "This is complicated."

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

My thoughts exactly.  Because he lived in another state, she didn't see him upset (if he was upset).   I hope producers aren't driving some of Megan's comments and behaviors.

Here's a good example from Poster KBrownie:   And every time Megan makes sure to look directly at the camera and recite one of her lines makes me question just how sincere she really is.  She did it tonight when she was facetiming Steven.  She's supposed to be all broken up, but she makes sure to talk directly to the camera with her line: "This is complicated."

Either that or she was looking for someone to validate her emotions or to have her back via the production crew. Which reminds me of another moment she was complaining how Steven broke up with her via FaceTime, yet  she did the same thing with her ex. I understand it was long distance, but when he was visiting she should have the decency to have the convo then I think ... Maybe she doesn't realize it because of her DS or may not be able to comprehend certain things, but she uses double standards, or comes of as hypocritical during situations. Heck, most grown adults don't like rejection or admitting when their being hypocritical  She wasn't the only one hurt ya know? I think she may be crying over Steven, but also maybe realizing she doesn't have her ex either if any of it is true.

Edited by anonymousgirl
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, anonymousgirl said:

I'm kind of confused when Kris said Megan was going through this for the first time as far as I know this wasn't her first breakup, but maybe a first rejection? Megan  didn't even act this way with her longterm boyfriend.  So Its ok for Megan to braakup with somebody but when  someone does it to her its not ok?   Megan is trying to paint him as a bad guy  with the group he is not, he was honest with her least he did  didn't string her along and cheat on her.I'm not sure why she is acting like this after three dates? Unless the went out longer and it wasn't presented that way In the show?  kris is right  she should learn to be happy with herself first and mature a bit, but I see her and Sean chasing after each other in the previews apparently, she doesn't like to be alone it seems.  Most of the  people  in the group I think need some specialized guidance in relationships because they Both sounded confused about what it means to be in a relationship, dating, vs seeing each other 

With all that said I'm still not sure how real  their relationship was and like I said  I don't think any of the cast members should 'date'  wether they realize it or not they are co workers on a show and I don't think they should mix work with pleasure so to speak. Any real breakup would make their' work environment'  awkward  with everyone and strained and I'm not so  sure  they can maturely handle that, most adults can't. 

I'm glad we got to see Elena some Hopefully now we can focus on other things on the show .

The thing is that she and her "ex" were probably together because they were the only two people with DS in the school.  Kris probably got together with the other mom and voila! Megan now has a boyfriend, a date to all the dances, etc. It probably sounded good to the other mom too.  Remember when they were talking while Megan and that boy were on a "date"-- they said they had been on as many dates as their kids!  And Megan said herself that they got together because "he wanted to date a cheerleader - and that was me".  So this may have been her first time with a crush on a boy that actually turned into a date and relationship, which has got to be more exciting :)

Also, if most of them were "included" rather than being in special ed classes, this may be the first time that they are hanging out with a group of actual peers. So  it's only natural for them to have crushes or like each other in "that way".  Typical kids can be very nice and even like them a lot, but they are not going to date them.  It was sweet that Sean C had our Sean as his best man, and he seems like a great guy, but let's face it - they are not actual peers.  If they were then Sean C might have had just one other friend or family member at the man shower :)

• Love 1

I think Meghan and Steven both handled it badly, but I guess they are both very inexperienced with this sort of thing and wouldn't know much better at this point in their lives. Meghan shouldn't have become so clingy and attached so quickly, and the dramatics after the breakup ("You promised you'd always love me, you broke your promise" etc) were a bit much. Steven should have been honest from the beginning that he didn't want a relationship, because he sure seemed like he did.

• Love 7

Steven was freaked out when she kept trying to grab him in his room. He wanted to show her is beloved movies and she wanted to kiss and "getcha". She is too immature and needy for him.

As for dating other girls- Dude! this is your first girl and first kiss! Not like they are lined up the door to go out with you.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, booboopbedoo said:

As for dating other girls- Dude! this is your first girl and first kiss! Not like they are lined up the door to go out with you.

I think most men delude themselves about that sort of thing. They think their wives and girlfriends are the only thing standing in the way of them dating/having sex with lots of different women, when in actuality women were never beating down their doors in the first place.

• Love 13

I was waiting for Kris, or someone, to tell Megan that she was equally at fault, that she was smothering Steven, and had immediately gone from a first kiss to having marriage and children.
Kris should get that doll again, and MAKE Megan take care of it for at least a few days.
I felt bad for Steven.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, butterbody said:

Speaking of melting hearts: omg Rachel is an angel on this earth. I just love her so much. I love her new commitment to chase her dreams and try everything. She 's (and her awesome mom) such an inspiration. 

Wasn't she the sweetest! She prepared so well for her audition, and was so poised. She has real talent as an actress, and just lights up a room. I wish her all the success in the world.

Edited by ThinkerBell
  • Love 8

I understand that Megan's mom has spent her entire life trying to build up her self esteem.  The result is that she absolutely cannot accept that someone doesn't think the world revolves around her.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, booboopbedoo said:

I admit, I'm glad Steven broke up with Megan. My first thought had always been, "Run, Steven! Run!" Maybe I have a stone for a soul, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for Megan. Steven looked ready to bolt the second she mentioned marriage and babies on date #3. Just because he may not have girls beating down his door doesn't mean Steven should be expected to marry the first one to show interest. That's no way to find happiness. At least Steven is taking it slow. Megan expects to get her happy ending of marriage and babies in approximately 90 minutes, maybe 105 if the trailers run long. 

I also have to agree with those that suspect Megan is playing to the camera/audience. When she was having her tantrum, she kept looking in the direction of the kitchen where the camera and her friends were to see if they were noticing what she was doing. It was when they expressed direct interest she reached for the heavy items to throw.

Whoever said that Rachel's mom should have the same sit down talk with Megan that she had with her own daughter is so right. She doesn't skirt the issue the same way Kris does.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I think Meghan and Steven both handled it badly, but I guess they are both very inexperienced with this sort of thing and wouldn't know much better at this point in their lives.

And they're both intellectually handicapped; things will never be "normal" for them if they're compared to the "typicals."   They will rarely handle difficult things well and that's why we hope there will always be responsible and reasonable adults in their lives to help them along the way.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Wait, wait!  I need 15 minutes of Elena.

Elena is the one person I don't mind seeing thrown into producer-setup situations (like the cruise or a cooking class). She just makes the most of it and has a blast. Flove it.

• Love 9
(edited)

I've been thinking a lot about this last episode since it aired the other day.  I feel so sorry for Steven.  I understand that he has the less severe form of DS (mosaic).  He's clearly more advanced than many of his group members.  He's certainly more mature -and definitely more socially aware- than Megan.  I thought they were a mismatched couple from the beginning, but maybe they had to date to figure that out.  I just think that Steven is in an unfortunate position.  A woman who does not have DS is unlikely to want to date him and he will probably feel that he is more advanced than the vast majority of his peers.  I hope he finds someone that will meet his needs and match well with his ability levels.  As for Megan, I believe that Kris has done her a disservice by coddling her all her life.  I agree with folks who have said she needs a sit-down with Rachel's mom.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 4

It is a given about Megan's needy and aggressive behavior.  I agree to an extent about Kris, but I think she is dealing with a child/adult who truly is not capable of grasping much.  That is a very difficult situation.  I remember that it was Megan who made comments about wanting to meet / be like The Kardashians when they first came to L.A.     Then she talks about being a movie producer, tours a college and shows a glimpse of real life when Megan has a meltdown at the grocery store.       I understand it, as you cannot constantly put down or correct someone with D.S.  but there has to be a different way than say letting Megan talk about being a business owner.    I would love CAmom's  perspective.

On the other hand Steven seems to understand a bit more, hold a job and may even have independence at some point.

But, he like Megan seems to also live his life according to movies and or popular culture.   He has unrealistic expectations of being with a typical woman. He hurt Megan with similar comments and also iirc Rachel when she asked him about a date.  

It was Steven  who decided he liked Megan and started to pursue her before she broke up with her Colorado boyfriend.  I guess good manners and basic rules of dating do not apply to Steven.

Then he declares many times how Megan is different, makes him feel wonderful and he can be himself around her.  Elaborate first date with jewelry given. Declarations of love and affection from him.

Where I fault Steven more is that he knew full well how Megan was and is.  He had seen her behavior, her neediness and aggression.    I guess he expected her , as she did him to turn into their latest cinema fantasy. When that did not happen, he dumps her.    On this last episode he even goes as far to say if she doesn't keep on being his friend, its her loss.   Not cool dude, not nice at all. 

Since Steven does not seem to make a move without his parents involvement , they are of course imo ultimately to blame.   We have all seen much better examples of parenting with Cristinas parents and Rachels.   Rachel kept stealing her co-workers food and although it took patience and a lot of time and consequences Rachel did stop.  Elenas mom has been very honest with her struggles about accepting her daughter and dealing with her.

Steven's parents (to me) seem weak and meek.  Maybe part of it stems from wanting to show Steven in the best light, doing whatever they have to , to hide his quirks and tantrums.      In this episode Kris was not happy about the two of them going to Stevens bedroom, while his parents sat there and let it happen.   Kris, 1 , Stevens parents 0.    

We have all seen Steven being counseled by his parents, explaining ways to deal with things, so if they had a hand in Stevens decisions and conversations with Megan then shame on them.    If he was/is now mature enough or ready to date then he should be expected to behave in a decent manner.    Say the parents had no idea he broke it off via Facetime.    They should of talked to him about it, then have him talk to her in  person and apologize.    Explain to her in a way that he wants space, but leave out the part about dating others.  Nobody needs more rejection on top of a break up.

What I saw from him on the show was a stubborn vibe of I am not going to apologize and I want what I want.   Its her loss.

I think it is more subtle, but it seems like Stevens parents have planted some of the same unrealistic ideas and behaviors as Kris has done with Megan.  Imo, neither one of them is ready to date, let alone have a relationship.   Sad, but its the way it is.

• Love 6

Well, Cherrio, you asked for it!  I've known parent like Kris who are so focused on having their children with DS included, accepted, etc., that they have never allowed them to fail at anything.  I believe that the lesson Kris has not taught Megan is that you can't always have what you want.  I think Kris has done way more than necessary to make sure that all of Megan's dreams come true (her "business," cheerleading, public speaking, moving to California for heaven's sake).  Then when things don't work out for Megan in the way she wants, the result is tears and tantrums.  Kris would be doing her a great service if she talked to her about her part in the break up with Steven and the value of taking things slowly.  If she was my child, I would point out to her that she broke up with her previous boyfriend and that she has no control over other people's actions.  Sure, she's heartbroken, but I get the feeling that her mom has protected her from disappointments her whole life.  (And if she was my child, there would be some serious consequences for the tantrum she threw at the center.  It's OK to be upset, but it's not OK to act out like that.  My personal feeling is that she was doing it for the cameras, but who knows what goes on in another person's head.)

I don't think Steven's parents are weak at all, I think their personalities are just kind of laid back.  I do think they realized (after the fact) that Steven could have done a better job with Megan, and that's why his mom was on the later call with her.  It is tough to let your kids maneuver the world with as much independence as possible while still trying to keep them from stumbling too much.  No one does it perfectly.  I do agree that Steven and Megan were a poor match from the beginning.  He is much more independent, she is so very clingy and needy.  And their intellectual levels are quite different, too.

By the way, their romance was not producer driven.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, camom said:

It is tough to let your kids maneuver the world with as much independence as possible while still trying to keep them from stumbling too much.  No one does it perfectly.  I do agree that Steven and Megan were a poor match from the beginning.  He is much more independent, she is so very clingy and needy.  And their intellectual levels are quite different, too.

This is so true even with neuro-typical kids. (Not to take away anything from your post; I love reading your perspective because you have an insight most of us don't.)

• Love 4

Thanks for responding !     I always appreciate your insight into the show and the people involved.

I agree completely about Kris overindulging her and making things happen for her.  In fact, if I am going to be totally honest I am kind of sick about hearing about everyone's dreams.  I would much rather hear and see about day to day life as in jobs and striving to be as independent as possible.  Maybe not even independent, as they may not be possible for some, but at least some average goals.   My favorite scene so far is still John working at a pet store. He showed how capable he was and how loving he was to the animals.

Laid back I can go with, but I still did not like that they didn't make Steven give Megan a proper apology and make him understand what he did wrong.

Of course, the same goes for Megan.   Kris should of insisted there is no going from one guy to the next so soon and to be hands off.

I have decided to stop watching because I cannot support the show. I honestly do not think its in the best interest of the young adults or the parents.  Reality shows do a lot of damage , I do not think this one is immune from it.     And now there are shout outs from various people(cast) to watch to keep it on the air.

I think its a better idea to stick to real life, I am sure its already a struggle without the show. 

16 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

My favorite scene so far is still John working at a pet store. He showed how capable he was and how loving he was to the animals.

I remember that, and hope maybe he can get a job at a shelter or vet.

Let's see more John and more Elena.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Brooklynista said:
7 hours ago, jennyf said:

Show, please give me 45 minutes of Rachel and 15 of Cristina's dad. I'm ready to be done with Megan and Steven. 

Wait, wait!  I need 15 minutes of Elena.

Same here, and I would never have thought that during season one.  Back then, I wanted about five minutes of her -- I found her story interesting, but found her personality difficult to stomach in all but the smallest dose.  Now she's a relief.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Cherrio said:

Thanks for responding !     I always appreciate your insight into the show and the people involved.

I agree completely about Kris overindulging her and making things happen for her.  In fact, if I am going to be totally honest I am kind of sick about hearing about everyone's dreams.  I would much rather hear and see about day to day life as in jobs and striving to be as independent as possible.  Maybe not even independent, as they may not be possible for some, but at least some average goals.   My favorite scene so far is still John working at a pet store. He showed how capable he was and how loving he was to the animals.

Laid back I can go with, but I still did not like that they didn't make Steven give Megan a proper apology and make him understand what he did wrong.

Of course, the same goes for Megan.   Kris should of insisted there is no going from one guy to the next so soon and to be hands off.

I have decided to stop watching because I cannot support the show. I honestly do not think its in the best interest of the young adults or the parents.  Reality shows do a lot of damage , I do not think this one is immune from it.     And now there are shout outs from various people(cast) to watch to keep it on the air.

I think its a better idea to stick to real life, I am sure its already a struggle without the show. 

I stopped watching quite some time ago. It just got difficult to watch when the pretense of the show changed. I think they're all awesome wonderful people but I know it's all coming to an end soon (the notoriety, the Emmy (?) awards, the money.) And my heart will break for those lovely DS people. I hope they're emotionally ready. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

I've been thinking a lot about this last episode since it aired the other day.  I feel so sorry for Steven.  I understand that he has the less severe form of DS (mosaic).  He's clearly more advanced than many of his group members.  He's certainly more mature -and definitely more socially aware- than Megan.  I thought they were a mismatched couple from the beginning, but maybe they had to date to figure that out.  I just think that Steven is in an unfortunate position.  A woman who does not have DS is unlikely to want to date him and he will probably feel that he is more advanced than the vast majority of his peers.  I hope he finds someone that will meet his needs and match well with his ability levels.  As for Megan, I believe that Kris has done her a disservice by coddling her all her life.  I agree with folks who have said she needs a sit-down with Rachel's mom.

Well his parents said that he always wanted to date "the best looking girl in the school - the head cheerleader".  He sort of got that in this peer group and, like many men before him, found out that it wasn't all that :)

• Love 4
On 6/14/2017 at 7:26 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

I was wondering  if it was  just me. I thought  Steven  handled  it well for a young man. He is what  in his early  20s? From what I remember  this is his first  relationship , he was not perfect  but he did the best he could . 

I thought he did great!  He was honest (although we don't know what happened during the initial breakup convo) and we saw that he didn't quite understand that it wasn't ok to be a boyfriend/girlfriend with meghan and still want to date other people and that's when he broke up with her for good. After the producer explained to him that it wasn't ok.  I think Steven was in over his head (it was his first girlfriend EVER) and he did as well as I thought he could.  I really hope people were telling him that he is a good guy and it's not his fault and he should not be ashamed of anything.  It made me cringe when Megan said "Shame on you Steven [last name]"    Like OMG Megan... it is well within his right to break up with you!!! He was only saying I love you because that's what he thought he was suppose to do.  Megan completely bulldozed that relationship.

It really breaks my heart of all the shaming they showed Megan doing and now Sean will have to see that and think he's a bad guy.  That's not ok. I wish we would have seen someone trying to talk some sense into Megan, although she likely wouldn't have still gotten it but it would have been nice for someone tell her "what you feel is ok... but that doesn't make steven a bad person"

• Love 6

I agree- not having ever had a girlfriend and also being DS I think he did the best he could. His Mom was obviously concerned that he hurt Meagan and wanted to make sure he did what was right

• Love 1

When Steven facetimed Megan and his mom was there, he said why but I didn't catch it - did anyone else get it? Im just curious as to why he wanted or his mom wanted to be included in that conversation. 

• Love 1