Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

8 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

When I got married, I signed a form like that at the church but also signed a separate marriage license. They may not have wanted to show the legal license because of personal details. I just think we don’t know.

I may have inadvertently started this by noting the fact we saw them signing (legally meaningless) church paperwork but did not see them signing the actual marriage license/to-be certificate.  I posted I was pleased to see that Cristina, who had kept so many rooted-in-sexism traditions, apparently did not change her last name upon marrying Angel -- when they were introduced to the reception guests, they were simply introduced as Angel and Cristina, rather than Mr. and Mrs. [Angel's Last Name I can't recall], as usually happens when the wife is changing her last name to the husband's.  I noted it's not as if only first names were used to keep their last names private because it was being filmed, because both last names were said in the episode (and are in articles about the show).

So then I posted, wait, this was a legal marriage, right, meaning she indeed could have changed her last name and opted not to, or was that church rigamarole not just the only thing we saw being signed, but the only thing they actually did sign, meaning this was a commitment ceremony and they're calling themselves married/referring to each other as husband and wife as a commonly-understood way of defining their relationship, but they're not legally married -- and thus of course she's still Cristina [last name I can't recall] and there couldn't have been a last name change (without a lot more legal steps than just checking a box and signing a line on the marriage license/certificate) and that's why the intro was simply of "Angel and Christina" (just like for my friends who didn't change their last names to that of their husbands, and thus the reception announcement was something like, "For the first time as spouses, here are [First Name] and [First Name]."

Discussion evolved from there, about the various reasons it would make more sense for them to be "married" than married.  Based on that, I think they're not married, because the drawbacks greatly outweigh the benefits.  (And, to be clear, I have no issue with that.)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I posted I was pleased to see that Cristina, who had kept so many rooted-in-sexism traditions, apparently did not change her last name upon marrying Angel

It might be family tradition.  I "froze" my screen to read the wedding invitation, and Cristina's father's last name is Sanz and her mother's is a different/longer name (I've forgotten it).  Also, she may want to preserve her Spanish heritage.  Angel's surname is Callahan.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Where can I find the facts on this?

You can ask someone from the cast on Facebook? 

There was plenty of reasons given in This thread on why it’s in the best interest for it. not to be a certified real marriage. 

I'm late, but the season went by so fast, I didn't get to watch until yesterday when I found it OnDemand! So I thought I'd talk about the bits and pieces of the whole season I saw with two kiddos climbing all over me demanding sandwiches in the middle of the night. 

*Someone must have forgotten to dust my house, that beautiful wedding made me misty. I always wondered if they would make a season with Angel and Christina's wedding more of the focus and I was not disappointed. I swear, Mariano and Bea are amazing parents and they're so perfect together. Their children are so blessed. 

* Elena saying hello to John's family (especially his dad) made me smile. She has grown so much since the beginning, she's so different. I love the friendly she and John have, they can be silly and crazy together, go on fun trips and then still have a serious conversation and tone eachother down. We all need a bestie like John and Elena! 

* I loved watching the girls all getting ready for the wedding. I could feel the nerves and anticipation through the screen. They all looked so beautiful, the moms looks beautiful. Aaaaaand then Kris stood up and resituated her short sparkly number. I mean, I'm 28 and probably have had a fashion fail or ten in my life, but even I would reserve that dress for a night out with my friends. She looked gorgeous as always, but compared to all the other guests, it just stood out as the wrong place to me. 

*Sean. Sean, Sean, Sean. Nothing about him really stood out to me this short season. Other than the new hair, I didn't recommend him at first. I think it was nice of Kaylee to help promote his shirts on social media, even though "burrito, beer and babes" made my eyes roll to the heavens. I'm the worst at trying to figure out how to promote my own small business on social media and my anxiety makes it hard to get the courage to ask someone with experience for help.  I did like that his mom let him know what was selling well, what wasn't and then asking what they should do about the nonsellers. Seemed like she's probably the head honcho as far a organization, sales, booking popups etc, but keeps him in the loop and helps him make decisions. 

*I loved Megan and Rachel living together. Rachel is such a kind soul,  very sweet and nurturing, I like to think Megan may have learned a little from her since we obviously didn't see their day to day. I cracked up though, they reminded me of my friend and I moving out together at 17, sitting down to make a house needs list. We may not have added a hot tub, but a fancy stainless, double door fridge was definitely on that list lol. I understand the stress of ordering food. I like food. I LOVE FOOD, but again, anxiety makes it difficult to speak slowly and clearly to the person on the line. I just wanna get it over with as quickly as possible. Toss in a few friends talking in your ear and holy crap, what's going on? I forgot about the cost of living being more expensive in different places. Almost fell over when the delivery guy said over $100.  Food for that many people would still be way less than that in TN. 

Stopping because I've forgotten and probably missed several scenes over the season! 

• Love 4
On 8/3/2016 at 4:11 PM, configdotsys said:

Everyone has limitations of some kind (health wise, financial, etc.) and has to live within those limitations. That is not a bad thing, that is just how life works. That should be the message. 

I completely agree with this! I have Cystic Fibrosis and I have been dancing my whole life graduated undergrad with honors president of multiple clubs multiple jobs two majors and a dance minor. I am now in my mid twenties in graduate school and I am still teaching dance which I started in my jr year of undergrad. HOWEVER given that I am in my mid twenties with CF my health is rapidly declining I had to change grad school plans and be okay with an online program part time which will accommodate my medical needs and complications I have also had to be okay with being more open with my boss and my students and their parents about my health and CF and taking time to do treatments at work or calling off more than I'd like when needed and be realistic about how much my body is capable of handling on a given day or week without causing longterm detriment  I have had to come to terms with the fact that I will have to adjust my longterm goals and expectations to live my best life as long as possible and what I have to be willing to adjust and expect. I am not overly limiting myself by doing this I am being realistic about the limits of life with CF as I get older and pushing myself within those limits without thinking those limits don't exist at all and pushing myself to do unrealistic things and speeding up a decline in my health and crashing and burning. That is what the parents of these people and this show should be promoting 'yes my condition does come with limitations but I can still have a full healthy productive amazing life that contributes to the world within those limits and means and just because I have some limitations doesn't mean I don't have gifts and things I do exceptionally at as well'. 

• Love 10