Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

I didn't get the impression that Megan's dad was only there for the appearance fee. He seemed like a good dad to me. What's clear to me is that Kris has been telling Megan what to think about her dad. Why would she ask why he abandoned her? It seemed like he had no idea where that was coming from and then had to explain to her that it was just a divorce. And for a child to say to a father that she doesn't want her husband to be like him is a terrible insult. Megan certainly didn't treat him like someone she didn't know very well. She didn't act like an abandoned child. Kris may be playing perfect mom on tv but I'm sure she's planting seeds in Megan's head off camera about how she should feel about her dad. Yes, divorce sucks for kids and many times one parent gets more time than the other but that doesn't equate to abandonment. 

• Love 3
On 8/29/2016 at 3:52 PM, Brooklynista said:

Educating and Graduating Peter are truly eye-opening.  I felt for his mother wanting her son to be included in regular activities but she seemed blinded by what Peter could honestly accomplish.  She wanted him to have a mainstream job, but at 18yrs old he could barely tie his shoes and was nearly non-verbal.

Oh my goodness, what a great recommendation, Brooklynista!  I watched both of these documentaries on YouTube this morning and they provided so much insight into what we see on this show.  I felt sorry for Peter because (and I'm no expert here by any stretch of the imagination) I think that his mother tried to force him to learn skills that he simply wasn't capable of while leaving others unlearned that he might have mastered with enough time and guidance.  For example, if he can't tie his shoes and it's a source of frustration, why not buy him velcro shoes and focus on things he can learn, like the steps involved in preparing his cereal in the morning?  If he can't learn how to count money (I truly don't think he can), focus on social skills like greeting people with a smile.  I think some of Peter's depression stemmed from the pressure he felt to learn things that were beyond his ability level, which was largely driven by his mother.  Still, at the end of the day, I'm sure everyone involved did their very best with an extremely challenging situation.

Okay, slightly off-topic post over!  (Go watch those documentaries if you haven't!)

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

I watched both of these documentaries on YouTube this morning

I watched them yesterday.   

I do not get the impression Kris is filling Megan's head with negative thoughts about her dad. I also do not think she is a bad mother.  I think she has probably tried a lot harder than we give her credit for,  but Megan is extremely limited in what she can do and grasp.   She talks to her about the realities of California and babies, Megan gets it for a few seconds, then goes right back to her original wishes.      One minute Megan is talking to her boyfriend about marriage (again), in the next breathe she is accepting the job in SoCal.

I also noticed her father did not say he would take care of her if someone happened to Kris.  He talked about "family" helping her.   I got the impression he was doing his best Father Knows Best for the camera's.     Just m.o.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Cherrio said:

I do not get the impression Kris is filling Megan's head with negative thoughts about her dad. I also do not think she is a bad mother.  I think she has probably tried a lot harder than we give her credit for,  but Megan is extremely limited in what she can do and grasp.   She talks to her about the realities of California and babies, Megan gets it for a few seconds, then goes right back to her original wishes.      One minute Megan is talking to her boyfriend about marriage (again), in the next breathe she is accepting the job in SoCal.

I also noticed her father did not say he would take care of her if someone happened to Kris.  He talked about "family" helping her.   I got the impression he was doing his best Father Knows Best for the camera's.     Just m.o.

I noticed that too! Personally the answer I would've been looking for is "Me. I would take care of you." It sounded like she wanted some acknowledgement that he could step up and be there for her and he couldn't even give her that! Instead he went with "everyone" would help. Wtf. 

I don't know their actual situation, but dad just came off a little icky to me. Then there was how concerned Megan was with him possibly canceling, at first I just thought it was excitement, but as it went on it seemed like there might've been a history of him canceling. And other things, like when Kris asked if Megan told him that she wanted to spend more time with him- it just all came off as classic 'distant dad' situation.  Megan seemed overwhelmed with emotion after spending time with him... you could tell there's probably a lot of complex, conflicting feelings with that relationship. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I didn't get the impression that Megan's dad was only there for the appearance fee. He seemed like a good dad to me. What's clear to me is that Kris has been telling Megan what to think about her dad. Why would she ask why he abandoned her? It seemed like he had no idea where that was coming from and then had to explain to her that it was just a divorce. And for a child to say to a father that she doesn't want her husband to be like him is a terrible insult. Megan certainly didn't treat him like someone she didn't know very well. She didn't act like an abandoned child. Kris may be playing perfect mom on tv but I'm sure she's planting seeds in Megan's head off camera about how she should feel about her dad. Yes, divorce sucks for kids and many times one parent gets more time than the other but that doesn't equate to abandonment. 

To me his startled reaction to some of her questions came off more as a result of her being so blunt about it. Not only blunt, but also in front of the cameras during what was probably supposed to be a merry little daddy-daughter day for tv. I definitely gasped when she said she wouldn’t want a husband like him, but if he’s been a crap dad it makes sense. I don’t think she meant in a cruel way on purpose, but that’s the best way she knew how to convey what she was feeling/thinking.

I think even when parents try really hard, feelings of abandonment  are probably quite common in divorce, depending on the child’s personality, age of separation, custody arrangements etc etc. Megan probably has the extra weight of wondering if it had anything to do with her disability. She seemed really happy to be there, but I know I’ve seen my cousins interact great with their dad while also hearing my aunt (they’re divorced) confide in my mother about how hard it is for her to try and get him to spend any time/give enough attention to his kids at all.

• Love 5

The scene in the car with Megan and Kris talking about not seeing the dad for months at a time really got me. Megan stated that the reason she hadn't seen her dad was because Kris always wanted to spend time with her. Kris quickly corrected her that this wasn't the case. It's so hard to want your kid to be in reality about another parent but not want to hurt them with the facts. My stepdaughter's mother barely can be troubled to remove her butt from the couch, so I try to make up for the lack of attention but there is always a ready excuse of why mom can't do the simplest bit of parenting. It's hard when you give 100% and mom does bare minimum but gets a pass. I have just keep my mouth shut and keep doing the best I can in the time we have her. I know that my stepdaughter will see what the real deal is with her mom soon enough (and that may not be a good thing) but Megan may never see this.

I also got the idea that Megan's dad was part of a young, fun, attractive couple and Megan didn't fit into that picture, so he bailed.

• Love 6

I wish I could have seen the first season.  I do love this show.  I felt bad for Megan this episode.  I think she realizes and doesn't want her relationship to be like her parents have or had.  So her telling her father that (if it's true) I don't have a problem with.  From what we have been told he cancels on her and it's been her mom to took care of her.  And her telling her father in the conversation - what if her mom died what would happen to her.  I don't know if it was editing for dramatics but her father didn't say right away Me, I will take care of you.  It was we all will after a pause.  I didn't like that. If that's your child you say right away (again maybe editing held back to create drama).

Maybe that's why the mom over compensates with Megan.  I just didn't get a warm vibe from her father.  He was there to show that he's her father and he interacts with her.  At the end of the visit I heard Megan say I love you but I didn't hear her father say it back to her.  Maybe I need to watch again but I swear that happened. I don't know, maybe it's skewed but my gut was the dad was just there for camera time. I didn't see an answer to her to help her fears and I heard no I love you.  Maybe I missed it....hope I did.

I think Rachel is great and I loved how she talked with her friend about how her jealousy is wrong. Christina's parents were awesome in dealing with the situation. Hope it works out great.

• Love 4

Last season, we learned Megan has never even met some (all?) of her half-siblings, and it's been pretty clear the dad's involvement in her life has been limited since he left.  In that group meeting about arranging for the kids' care after the parents die, Kris was sad about the fact when she's gone, Megan's care will be up to the system.  Megan's dad saying his other family will take care of her is probably pure bullshit.

Cristina's parents are not only great with her, they were very good with Rachel, too.  They thanked her for talking with Cristina and then bringing the issue to their attention, and they defused the situation when Rachel started to get a little upset.

• Love 6

I feel like Megan's father just popped up to counteract how he was described last season. Despite the reasons I may not like/agree with Kris, I didn't get a vibe that she was lying or exaggerating her description of the circumstances of divorce and lack of involvement. Like others, the way "I'll take care of you" wasn't his immediate (or actual) response to Meg's fears about Kris dying really rubbed me the wrong way. I think she was open, not because of some great comfort level, but because she probably doesn't have much of a filter. I think Kris was trying to be relatively diplomatic in her discussion post meeting, but I do also think she was trying to get in a few little on camera subtle digs about his absenteeism. 

Interesting to see Cristina's attitude this week, we haven't seen much behavior like that from her. Her parents are really good and I'm glad they have a good relationship with Angel's family as well. Im very curious as to his diagnosis and abilities. 

So happy that we had no Sean this week although it seems that we will be cursed with a tantrum next episode. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have really liked Rachel, and Cristina's parents, since the beginning, and that was on full display tonight when they shut Cristina's shit down.

They tag-teamed her WWF style and I was so glad they did.  It was even more irritating to see her behavior after watching her openly go after the dance instructor with her knowing that it was wrong (as adorable as she was about letting him know her affection) but to watch her make those overt demands.  I know we're talking about someone who processes emotions differently but I was happy that the behavior was given a reprimand.  I was so impressed with Rachel who really just impresses me as a pure soul. 

• Love 9

Megan's dad has a little Richard Gere thing going on. And I think he's there for the cameras 100%. Also, I think he greeted her as Nancy when they walked in the restaurant.

Rachel for president or something.  She is so stinking cute (I think I say this every episode).  

I would LOVE a workplace like someone mentioned above. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, woodscommaelle said:

Megan's dad has a little Richard Gere thing going on. And I think he's there for the cameras 100%. Also, I think he greeted her as Nancy when they walked in the restaurant.

I *definitely* heard the "Nancy" thing too!!! I was trying to figure out if maybe there was a hostess or someone he was greeting by name...? Or maybe Nancy is Kris's real first name but she decided to go by her cooler middle name or something when she knew she was going to be on tv..? I just know it confused me.

• Love 7

Oh man, I did gasp when Megan told her dad she didn't want a husband who was like him.  Whew.  Kudos to him for handling it well even though that had to have been a major stab to the heart.  I don't get the impression that Kris has fed negativity to Megan regarding her dad - but it had to be hard how he pretty much left her holding the bag.  His response to Megan about who would take care of her if her mother ever died - The correct answer should have been, "But I will, of course!"  Saying "We all will" - who the hell is "we all"?  The system?  Gah.

As for Christina - yeah, it's good that Rachel and Christina's parents pointed out how wrong she was to be so jealous and controlling.  Seriously, me and my big mouth would have pointed out her hypocrisy - her having a crush on the dance teacher and writing him a note admitting her crush on him.  Angel took it all in stride - wasn't worried or jealous.  She gets to talk to her male friends but he's not allowed to talk to his female friends without her express permission?  Uh - no.  That's not how it all works.  So major kudos to Rachel for alerting her parents about the problem even though Christina felt she betrayed her - no - she did you a favor dear.

• Love 4

I simply cannot abide jealousy, and have little patience for people who make stupid relationship decisions in general, so I'd have never been able to have a productive conversation with Cristina -- knowing how inept I'd have been, I was all the more impressed with how her parents and, especially, Rachel handled it.  Because, come on!  You have to ask my permission before becoming friends with a woman?  Women have to ask my permission before speaking to my fiancé?  I got my knickers in a twist, so I'm going to carry my ring around to make sure people notice, and then you have to stage a public proposal - again - before I'll put it back on?

Yeah, you're ready to get married.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Trampolina said:

The scene in the car with Megan and Kris talking about not seeing the dad for months at a time really got me. Megan stated that the reason she hadn't seen her dad was because Kris always wanted to spend time with her. Kris quickly corrected her that this wasn't the case. It's so hard to want your kid to be in reality about another parent but not want to hurt them with the facts. My stepdaughter's mother barely can be troubled to remove her butt from the couch, so I try to make up for the lack of attention but there is always a ready excuse of why mom can't do the simplest bit of parenting. It's hard when you give 100% and mom does bare minimum but gets a pass. I have just keep my mouth shut and keep doing the best I can in the time we have her. I know that my stepdaughter will see what the real deal is with her mom soon enough (and that may not be a good thing) but Megan may never see this.

I also got the idea that Megan's dad was part of a young, fun, attractive couple and Megan didn't fit into that picture, so he bailed.

Even though you don't know me, I want to thank you Trampolina for stepping up and caring for your stepdaughter and giving all you've got...even while bio-mom is a loser.  Every person who makes these efforts in the world, make the earth a better planet to live on.

• Love 6

Rachel was awesome when she explained why Christina's jealousy was bad.  Wow, that girl has some excellent social instincts.  As for Megan and Kris...I think dad really does pull a no-show often enough that it has Megan spooked.  Even if Kris was nasty and complained about him all the time (which I don't believe she does, just as an example) that would not be enough to make Megan anxious IF he showed up regularly IMO.  Nope, I get the impression that he baled when the going was rough and has been in her life only intermittently since then.  Good for Megan for expressing her fear about marrying a man like him.  On the other hand, regarding the question of who would care for her if Kris died (assuming a longer, better answer hadn't been edited out), my first thought was "if mom has died, dad has probably died too," because I was looking at it from an age angle.  Maybe, just maybe, that was all his hesitation meant.  

• Love 3

I find this show very interesting.  Love Rachel,  tolerate Meg,  can't stand Sean.  Elena I feel for. Years ago I dated a guy whose sister has downs syndrome. She was not as high functioning as this group.  My current boyfriend has a daughter with a disability.  She is 17 but her mental age is around 12. She's a sweet girl but doesn't understand boundaries and like Meg she doesn't really understand how the real world works.. She wants to go to college in new York city even though her dad can't afford it and her mom doss not work. She lives full time with her dad but like Kris her mom encourages all of her dreams without instilling some reality.  So this girl who has never had a job paid bills or lived on her own thinks she is going to live by herself in new York city while her dad funds her lifestyle.  She reminds me a lot of Meg and watching this show has made me be able to understand her better. 

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:15 AM, Brooklynista said:

Is Angel going to have to re-propose every time Christina gets upset with him?

She'd do well not to depend on that!

And I wonder if Megan's dad supply pretty good child support, because I've never seen Kris mention working, and she seems to money whenever they want to go to LA, and for the Megology, which I can't believe pays for itself.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Granny58 said:

Rachel was awesome when she explained why Christina's jealousy was bad.  Wow, that girl has some excellent social instincts.  As for Megan and Kris...I think dad really does pull a no-show often enough that it has Megan spooked.  Even if Kris was nasty and complained about him all the time (which I don't believe she does, just as an example) that would not be enough to make Megan anxious IF he showed up regularly IMO.  Nope, I get the impression that he baled when the going was rough and has been in her life only intermittently since then.  Good for Megan for expressing her fear about marrying a man like him.  On the other hand, regarding the question of who would care for her if Kris died (assuming a longer, better answer hadn't been edited out), my first thought was "if mom has died, dad has probably died too," because I was looking at it from an age angle.  Maybe, just maybe, that was all his hesitation meant.  

I feel like that too (bolded quote). I thought it was interesting that Meg and her Dad went to dinner at a restaurant. If Megan was integrated in the Dad's life and with her step-family it would seem more normal to me if Meg went over to their house to spend time with the whole family. I guess its nice that Meg got one-on-one time with her Dad, but I really get the feeling that Meg isn't treated as a part of her step-family at all.

4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

She'd do well not to depend on that!

And I wonder if Megan's dad supply pretty good child support, because I've never seen Kris mention working, and she seems to money whenever they want to go to LA, and for the Megology, which I can't believe pays for itself.

I believe Kris is a school teacher (or at least was). 

• Love 4

I live in the same area as Kris/Megan and it is so weird to see Kris/Megan driving around and know exactly what roads they are on, etc.  Since they are local I did a little searching and Megan's dad owns businesses in Denver.  Megan has quite a few pictures on her facebook page of her with her half-siblings and pictures of her before proms/homecomings with her dad.  I don't think he's a completely absent parent maybe not around more than once a month but around.  It appears Megan moved around a lot with her mom and her dad is solidly planted in Denver so I think that is why she hasn't gotten to see him as much as she wanted.  Her half-siblings go to a private school that I am very familiar with so unless their mom is the one who is paying for it I imagine that her dad is paying a lot in child support and there is probably a pretty good size trust for her.  As a side note Megan had to quit her job in Denver with Rocky Mountain Down Syndrome Association in 2012 because the family (i.e. Kris) was moving to Virginia according to their newsletter.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mtnrunner said:

I live in the same area as Kris/Megan and it is so weird to see Kris/Megan driving around and know exactly what roads they are on, etc. 

Me too.

I used to go to Blake St Tavern every so often bc a good friend was a bulldog and they're a Georgia bar. //the more you know :)//

I think Angel also has Down Syndrome, and he seemed to be needing the class as much as Christina did.

He doesn't have Down syndrome, but is obviously developmentally delayed.  I imagine that the center is for anyone who needs it, not just those with DS.

• Love 6

The elementary school I went to had a special needs school right next door. This was the 80's so there wasn't as much integrating and understanding as there is now. The kids at my school were horrible. As soon as anyone spotted one of those kids through the fence, hordes of them would run over to tease them and throw things. It got to the point where they coordinated their recesses around ours so there was limited interaction. We did have a special needs class on our campus and I tutored one of those kids who never remembered a single thing. It was like starting from scratch every time I worked with him. That being said, I do believe there is value to having special needs students in regular schools more for the education of the "regular" students to learn how to deal with people who are different. The special needs students should definitely have their own curriculum that emphasizes life skills.

I flove Cristina's parents. They're so elegant and classy. Can they get a spin-off? I also love John Tucker's mother. His mom seems very no-nonsense in dealing with him, I'd like to see more of his family. As far as his rap career, as a fan of the genre, I'm gonna give a big NOPE to that one, but if you listen to what's passing for hot on the radio these days, he's not that far off lol.  Do you JT, do you. Elena exhausts me through the TV even though I feel for her with the whole Japanese cultural thing with her mother, and Sean, hmmm, well...bless his heart.

Now onto Meg and Meg's Dad. As the child of a largely absentee father who I mostly saw some Christmases and the occasional awkward weekend forced on both of us by my mother, I took a little bit of delight in hearing her tell him that she didn't want her husband to be like him. She drew blood with that one. Having a parent that treats you as little more than an after thought is soul scarring business and being able to grow up and have those brutally honest conversations can be cathartic. Megan is limited in her skills, but I also think she has shown some pretty high emotional intelligence, at least for someone with her abilities. It could well have been her genuine feeling although I see why some would think Kris might have fed it to her. If she had a close relationship her father and siblings, why would she even wonder about who would take care of her if something happens to Kris? And Kris should crush up birth control pills and put them in Meg's orange juice every morning, cause any baby Meg has, Kris will be raising.

One more thing, I'm so glad to see the sentiment on this board be leery of the whole "Don't Limit Me" theme. I'm all about having your head in the clouds and your feet on the ground so that kind of thinking is always an eye-roller for me.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Negritude said:

His mom seems very no-nonsense in dealing with him, I'd like to see more of his family.

When his mother met with his 2 adult sisters, to have a conversation about what would happen to John when she and his father could no longer take care of him, they were just "of course, we'll do it," and had figured who he'd live with mostly ,and who would be relief.
And we've seen his father too, and he''s supportive, it's just that his his mother takes the lead.
John is one of the ones lucky in his family.
I think Rachel's brother & his boyfriend would take care of Rachel, too.

• Love 7

I was hoping you would post camom.      I did not get the impression that Angel has D.S. either. He has no facial characteristics or the speech impediment.

Anyway, anything you want to tell us about this season?   Your opinions or some inside stuff you can share?

I have been wondering about how you feel about this season being so different than the first?    At least a few of us here think its been very different.

I also think they should of used a new cast.  I don't think its healthy if some or all of these young adults now think they are stars.

• Love 4
On 8/29/2016 at 2:03 PM, Normades said:

I've seen the mainstreaming with my own children having peers in their classes, but I had no idea that this was such an issue.  I assumed that the children in the mainstream programs were evaluated to see that they could keep up at least to a degree.  When my sister was growing up there was no mainstreaming and DS kids were institutionalized.  My parents went to great lengths to find help and education for her.  People didn't see DS kids in their communities and we got lots of stares, hate and worse when we went into public.  I think mainstreaming has helped to educate society that DS exists and they are people, too, but from what I'm reading here, there are still so many challenges.    I don't think we should assume that because an individual has not grasped a particular skill, it hasn't been taught and worked on. One thing I know from my own experience is that some of these skills may never be grasped.  Even something as basic as making a bed or cooking eggs.  What Kristina's dad said was exactly right, each skill has its own level for each person.

There are so many avenues open to these young people that simply weren't there not too long ago.  They can find their own dreams but within their capabilities.  And, isn't that something we all have to do?  

Exactly...I know they need life skills, but why not mainstream for art, computers, etc. ?

1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

I was hoping you would post camom.      I did not get the impression that Angel has D.S. either. He has no facial characteristics or the speech impediment.

Anyway, anything you want to tell us about this season?   Your opinions or some inside stuff you can share?

I have been wondering about how you feel about this season being so different than the first?    At least a few of us here think its been very different.

I also think they should of used a new cast.  I don't think its healthy if some or all of these young adults now think they are stars.

Angel likely has a completely different intellectual disability. There are thousands ranging from brain abnormalities, to chromosome issues, to behavioral. I enjoyed taking my sped classes during my BA because we learned about quite a few.

Angel was likely left by his single mom, or parents to the grandparents. So many disabled folks are raised by their grandparents. Some parents even go on to have seperate lives and more children. I worked as a bcba, that went to kids homes for a bit. I would say 5 out of the 8 on my caseload were being raised by grandparents, adopted parents, or aunts. 

Yes, the folks on this show are very high functioning, but I think that's the point. All disabled folks deserve a chance to live lives based on their abilities and they should not all be lumped together.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I feel like that too (bolded quote). I thought it was interesting that Meg and her Dad went to dinner at a restaurant. If Megan was integrated in the Dad's life and with her step-family it would seem more normal to me if Meg went over to their house to spend time with the whole family. I guess its nice that Meg got one-on-one time with her Dad, but I really get the feeling that Meg isn't treated as a part of her step-family at all.

I believe Kris is a school teacher (or at least was). 

KRIS has a linked in and it says she is a "business owner". I thought she was a school teacher too, maybe middle school or k or 1st grade....she's patient. 

• Love 1

I didn't realize that Lauren Potter from Glee was Sean's ex. That explains some of his reputation as a "ladies' man", I guess. I'm actually impressed. 

It's easy to sit back and criticize the families for this or that failing of the cast members, but ultimately, without having seen them throughout their whole lives, I think it's hard to judge. When you're facing a young child with a torrent of behavior problems and skill limitations, you have to pick and choose what you're going to prioritize, and it seems like all of these families have worked hard to give the cast members the best lives they can. We really don't know much about what they dealt with earlier in their lives and why they chose to focus on what they did. It's a process that never stops, and yes, clearly there are still behavior problems and issues to work on, but that hardly means they've failed as parents. It's just the reality of raising a young adult with Down Syndrome. On the contrary, it's impressive that this group is as independent and confident as they are - that doesn't happen without a lot of support from the families.

I do hope that the show will eventually feel more comfortable dropping the fourth wall. It's obvious that the existence of the show and its financial benefits is an underlying issue whenever Megan talks about moving to LA or John Tucker talks about the potential for his rap career. And good for them, honestly. "Reality TV star" is indeed a legitimate career for a few in this day and age, like it or not, and these seven have found a way to harness their charms to do it, at least for now. Compared to some of the other options they have for being financially independent, heck, why not? I'd much rather watch this group succeed than the latest teen mom who got pregnant for the third time in the back of an overpriced luxury car or whatever. 

I don't think "Dancing With the Stars" is totally a pipe dream for Cristina, either. They enjoy their unconventional and groundbreaking contestants, and she's now as much a celebrity as some of the names they have on there. I don't see her bringing home a mirror ball trophy or anything, but just getting cast and participating on the show would be a huge dream come true for her, and one that I think is realistic with enough time to prepare. She certainly can't be that much worse than Mischa Barton or Kate Gosselin. Cristina for DWTS 2017! 

• Love 7

This season does have a different feeling, and I think it's because the show needs to stay interesting.  People will only tune in so long to see Rachel at her job or John rapping.  Unfortunately, it is also going the way of all "reality" shows with the trips and activities obviously done just for the camera.  The cast members are "stars" in the DS world and are spending much of their time making appearances.  Some haven't changed, but some have a diva mentality.  We are seeing a little more reality though (like Elena and her mom).  It would have been difficult to re-cast the show.  Finding adults with DS who would be good in the show took quite a bit of time and effort.  Not everyone would be able or willing to do it.  And besides, the audience has become somewhat attached to these 7 people and want to know more.  I do worry about what it will be like for them after the show ends.  Their "fame" will last for a little while but when it fades some of them may have trouble adjusting.

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:33 PM, sunsheyen said:

Interesting to see Cristina's attitude this week, we haven't seen much behavior like that from her. Her parents are really good and I'm glad they have a good relationship with Angel's family as well. Im very curious as to his diagnosis and abilities. 

So happy that we had no Sean this week although it seems that we will be cursed with a tantrum next episode. 

Didn't we see Christina doing something similar last season when a couple of the other cast members were fighting? She wanted Meg or Rachel or someone to come to her if they had a problem with someone else (Elena? I'm not positive), and I remember thinking that was an odd demand/request to make. It inserted her in someone else's issue and I think that may be triangulating behavior, which isn't very healthy from my understanding. This episode made me think of the odd behavior from last season right away, and I had a similar reaction to it as a result. 

• Love 1

I liked during the scene with Angel and Christina's parents when Christina started acting up and her mom goes "Christina, be mature" and she got this "oh shit" look on her face.  She knows when mom and dad mean business!

And of course Kris is a "business owner".  She basically owns Megology. And nothing wrong with that but it might be a little more truthful to say that they have a business together.  

• Love 2

I'm glad Steven and Sean living together is for the show, because if poor Steven was actually stuck with Sean on an ongoing basis ...

Notice how the guy helping them said the picking of rooms (in which Steven compromised by giving Sean his way) was last night as compared to the deciding of where the dance floor would go (in which Sean had to be all but sat on to compromise by giving Steven his way [and outdoors was the better place to begin with])?  I wonder how long they filmed in that house -- just a long weekend?

I liked Megan saying she did nothing wrong, so she'd like to just move on when Sean was trying to continue his fit, and especially when Steven also said they'd done nothing wrong, Sean was being rude to their guests, and he was just trying to put on some music and lighten the mood.

Sean is exhausting.  Steven expressing his opinion is bossing Sean around.  Compromising means Steven bends to Sean's will at every disagreement because otherwise Sean gets mad.  Oh yeah - great roommate.

And is there anyone worse to defuse a situation of ridiculous drama than Elena?

I was on a phone call during much of the scene between Megan and Kris in the car, talking about celebrity crushes and confusing those for actual connections.  Did Megan do the same thing with someone Sean is doing with Meghan Trainor? (And dear god, please don't let Trainor's people get wind of this and set up something for the show; unlike Rachel with Adam Lambert, Sean cannot handle it)  If so, who?  I tuned back in to hear Kris' Anderson Cooper crush.  The "yeah, that's not going to happen" was perfectly delivered.

The 5K where you get a doughnut and chocolate milk for completing it cracked me up; I've done "Detox Retox" 10Ks where you get beer afterward.  Rachel was spot on to suggest they split the doughnut rather than skipping it.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was on a phone call during much of the scene between Megan and Kris in the car, talking about celebrity crushes and confusing those for actual connections.  Did Megan do the same thing with someone Sean is doing with Meghan Trainor? (And dear god, please don't let Trainor's people get wind of this and set up something for the show; unlike Rachel with Adam Lambert, Sean cannot handle it)  If so, who?  I tuned back in to hear Kris' Anderson Cooper crush.  The "yeah, that's not going to happen" was perfectly delivered.

Megan listed her celebrity crushes as Chris Tucker, Mike Epps, Jamie Foxx, and Tyler Perry. It sounds like she spiraled into depression when one of them had a baby with his baby mama.  (I'm assuming it's Tyler Perry since he had a baby with his girlfriend in 2014.) The language she used implied that she thinks the celeb cheated on her, and she behaved as if she was undergoing a recent breakup, eating ice cream, watching romantic movies etc. 

Btw, it totally thrills me that Megan has a thing for funny handsome black men, I haven't giggled out loud at TV like that in a long time!  And I too thought the Kris's Anderson Cooper punch line was hilarious

• Love 2
On 9/5/2016 at 11:42 AM, Kareny said:

I didn't realize that Lauren Potter from Glee was Sean's ex. That explains some of his reputation as a "ladies' man", I guess. I'm actually impressed. 

It's easy to sit back and criticize the families for this or that failing of the cast members, but ultimately, without having seen them throughout their whole lives, I think it's hard to judge. When you're facing a young child with a torrent of behavior problems and skill limitations, you have to pick and choose what you're going to prioritize, and it seems like all of these families have worked hard to give the cast members the best lives they can. We really don't know much about what they dealt with earlier in their lives and why they chose to focus on what they did. It's a process that never stops, and yes, clearly there are still behavior problems and issues to work on, but that hardly means they've failed as parents. It's just the reality of raising a young adult with Down Syndrome. On the contrary, it's impressive that this group is as independent and confident as they are - that doesn't happen without a lot of support from the families.

I do hope that the show will eventually feel more comfortable dropping the fourth wall. It's obvious that the existence of the show and its financial benefits is an underlying issue whenever Megan talks about moving to LA or John Tucker talks about the potential for his rap career. And good for them, honestly. "Reality TV star" is indeed a legitimate career for a few in this day and age, like it or not, and these seven have found a way to harness their charms to do it, at least for now. Compared to some of the other options they have for being financially independent, heck, why not? I'd much rather watch this group succeed than the latest teen mom who got pregnant for the third time in the back of an overpriced luxury car or whatever. 

I don't think "Dancing With the Stars" is totally a pipe dream for Cristina, either. They enjoy their unconventional and groundbreaking contestants, and she's now as much a celebrity as some of the names they have on there. I don't see her bringing home a mirror ball trophy or anything, but just getting cast and participating on the show would be a huge dream come true for her, and one that I think is realistic with enough time to prepare. She certainly can't be that much worse than Mischa Barton or Kate Gosselin. Cristina for DWTS 2017! 

thats such a cute article--anyone have insight on how they cast for this show? Sean sounds nicer in this article about him and his hollywood star girlfriend:)

I love Rachel. I love her floppy hair, and the way she expresses her thoughts. I love how she always has a look of wonder and excitement in every new situation. But most of all, I love Rachel's mom. The way she supports her and helps her problem solve on her own. I watched them making that salad and I thought man, I hope I am that kind of mom.  Just two wonderful, sweet spirits. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, camom said:

I think part of the reason they broke up was Sean's over-the-top jealousy when someone else played her prom date on "Glee."

Juicy! ...And yeah, I can totally see that, actually.

Sarcastic green faced Facetime Megan is my new spirit animal. “Oh… okaaaay.” Her delivery of that line, every time, was A+. Are we getting hints that Brendan might be replaced by Steven sometime soon? Hmmm... 

I kind of hope Meghan Trainor’s people never hear about or acknowledge this show.

Way to go Rachel for graduating from her job coach! That's no small feat. The goal of any job coach should be to make themselves redundant.

I loved the moment of John putting his foot down about the party drama. He’s clearly aware that viewers might be making assumptions about people with Down Syndrome based on what they see on the show, and it matters to him.

Unfortunately for him, the drama also makes for entertaining TV. And honestly, while everyone’s unique in their own way, etc, etc, the stereotypical stubbornness of people with Down Syndrome was on full display in that whole sequence, on pretty much everyone’s part. But that’s one of the potential charms of the show, and the reason it could run for years. Put this cast together in a room, turn on some cameras, and they WILL bring the drama.

Whyyyyy did the editors keep inserting that blur/zoom visual effect in random scenes? It was the most awkward for me in the pancake scene. I had to check that there wasn’t anything wrong with my screen. Guys, it’s not artistic, and it doesn’t help. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kareny said:

Whyyyyy did the editors keep inserting that blur/zoom visual effect in random scenes? It was the most awkward for me in the pancake scene. I had to check that there wasn’t anything wrong with my screen. Guys, it’s not artistic, and it doesn’t help. 

I thought the same thing. I was wondering if something was going on with my television even because there's no way they'd do that on purpose, right? Ugh it reminded me of something done in a really bad high school film editing class. 

• Love 1

Maybe I need closed captioning on all the time but I have watched that party scene when everybody got upset about crushes and Megan Trainor and I'm lost. I've rewound it 3 times and still don't get it. Exactly what happened? For what and why does Sean need to apologize? What did he say? Why did Sean walk off sulking? Dang I was watching "drama" and had no idea.

• Love 3

As someone who is hearing impaired, closed captioning is a must for me - especially with a show like this where speech is not clear much of the time. 

Basically what happened was Sean was talking about Meghan Trainer at the party and Megan made a comment about it - something like "it is never going to happen" and Sean got upset with her.  It's his fantasy and it was basically none of her business and she had no right to throw cold water all over it.  Elena tried to diffuse the situation (but making it worse).  Stephen tried to calm Sean down but of course Sean wasn't having it.  "We're no longer friends!"  Poor Stephen was fed up and quite unsure on how to resolve the issue.

Gah.  The whole thing was exhausting.

• Love 9

I think Megan was in the wrong, but probably reacted as she did because she'd just been through the same thing with Kris telling her about her crushes.
But Sean's anger carried it to a whole new level.
Steven and John would  be good living together, but I don't know if John wants to move out.
I use closed captioning a lot if the speech is unclear, or on some British shows which feature regional accents.

• Love 6

I found the story line about Rachel's struggle with her weight and health by far the most compelling, "real," and heart-wrenching part of this episode. She seems to have a firm understanding of the problem and what's required to correct it. She knows the ball is in her court to eat better and exercise more -- and knows that now, she just has to do it. Her mom's concern seemed so real, and it was a very real moment when she said that (paraphrasing) she can't bear to watch a child die before her. Her dad gave excellent advice when he told her that her family can help her as much as they can, but it's really ultimately up to Rachel to be motivated and disciplined enough to change from within herself.

My heart just broke for Rachel when she was talking about how it might be harder for her to find a mate because of her weight struggles. Also, when she was telling her co-workers about how her dad was bringing home Del Taco for dinner and she did a little "happy dance" -- that just made me feel so sad for her, because it illustrated how food really seems to be one of the only things that brings her happiness in life. As someone who battled major food issues growing up, I remember what it's like to at be lunch - eating - and already thinking ahead to and looking forward to dinner, and the thought of dinner bringing genuine feelings of happiness. It's not a healthy relationship with food, mentally or physically.

I'm really rooting for Rachel on her weight loss journey! She seemed to really enjoy the dance class, so I hope she gets into Zumba, or hip hop classes, or something that keeps her moving. Likewise, I hope being on the show gives her access to counseling around her food issues. She is still in the pre-diabetic stage, so if she makes major changes now she can totally turn her health around. I hope the show continues to show us her progress -- it's something so many people can relate to, disabled or not. Go Rachel!!

Edited by HelloOutThere
  • Love 12

I was also really happy with how her mom handled the 5k donut issue. She said "donuts and chocolate milk, my favorite" (validating Rachel's love of those things); then gently asked "how about if we did the race and did NOT eat the donut?" And then Rachel came up with "we can split a donut" all on her own. It was masterful. I love Rachel and her family. They are awesome.

I also hope Meghan Trainor doesn't indulge Sean's crush, but I loved when Adam Lambert came on to meet Rachel. Rachel likes Adam Lambert but wholly understands that he is gay (and what that entails), so it was a bit of a different situation from Sean's crush. 

• Love 8

Is Megan's boyfriend gone and forgotten?  It seemed like they just up and moved and there was no more mention of him.

Also, it seemed like Rachel was taking her mom seriously because it must have taken a lot of will power to deny herself a fresh baked cookie.  I wish her luck because the love of food and slow metabolism is a hard combination...

• Love 5