Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

Just because Elena lives in a group home, that doesn't mean her skills are better than the others.  These are typically homes that have six or so developmentally disabled residents plus full-time supervision.  She is not living independently, she just isn't living with her parents.  I don't see Sean living on his own.  I know of people who have purchased homes for their adult children but they also have someone living there with them.  The only ones in this group that might be able to live on their own are Steven and Cristina, in my opinion.  And even then, someone should be looking over their shoulders to make sure they don't get into trouble.

I totally agree with you about attainable goals.  I encourage my child to do everything she wants to do, but unfortunately that's not necessarily possible and I occasionally have to point that out to her.  It's a tough line for parents to walk.  

• Love 2

I wondered if Sean getting his own place may have meant a group home type environment, his parents seem to have to ease him into new things or he gets very upset. I did hear him say he was going to have a room mate, although I think he was thinking of a "babe", and maybe his parents were thinking of a sponsor. I do love these young people though. I can't wait for another season!

• Love 1

I saw the commercial to this for season 2 and had no idea there was even a season 1.  My mom used to teach DS kids and just adores them and I have a special place in my heart for them too.  I'm hooked (3rd episode in on season 1).

I think Cristina is my favorite.  It also helps that her dad is yummy. 

Looking forward to July 26.

• Love 2
(edited)
On January 20, 2016 at 11:02 PM, IvySpice said:

Right. Those are not rap skills. It's all heartwarming when his mom is like, "I wanted people to see the talent and stare for the right reasons," but there is NO talent there. You can't have rap without diction. His talent lies more in the humor direction if you ask me. With his total fearlessness, he could be a great clown. Rapper, no.

Elena's parents seemed warmer to me in this episode. Their missing time with Elena seemed genuine, and so did their concern when she cried at the dinner table.

It can be a shocker to confront the cast members' deficits after seeing them in social situations where their strengths are at the forefront. I was taken aback to see Angel struggling with the menu and Megan thinking that $300 would make a dent in LA housing costs. It's a reminder that, as Cristina's dad pointed out, their "age" can differ wildly from skill to skill.

I was actually taken aback by this post. Why the John hate? I don't think anybody, including his parents, think he's Biggie reincarnate or the next Jay-z. He has Down syndrome. Lighten up a little. Everybody deserves to do what gives them happiness and fulfillment. Yes, even those with Down syndrome. 

And it's not funny. You say it's only humor and that he'd be a great clown? Wow. 

I do think he has a talent considering his limitations. He has a good rhythm and he writes his own lyrics. The song he performed is pretty catchy with a good beat. It doesn't have to win a Grammy. I love that John's parents are giving him these opportunities and that they have the means to do it. What do you want them to do, put him in a white padded room? 

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 10

I had never heard of this show before today, but watched about 4 1/2 hours of a 5 hour marathon on A&E.  I really enjoyed it, for the most part. 

The only person in the series I didn't like was Kris, Megan's mother.  The whole thing just seemed opportunistic to me, like she found a way to feature her daughter's clothing line (and possibly get a few dates, and a lot of attention, out of it for herself.)  Even the crying at the estate planning stuff seemed inauthentic, to me.  It might be a symptom of watching 4 1/2 episodes in a row, but she seemed so contrived and self-serving. 

I loved how honest the rest of the families were, although all of them seemed to pale in comparison to Cristina's parents.  They were simply lovely.  I adored how her dad took Angel to the restaurant for a dry run and helped set things up.  He seemed like he was really interested in teaching life skills, suggesting Angel walk in and ask for a reservation for two for tomorrow, etc.  And, unlike Meg, Angel was able to interact with the public without having a melt down.  Nothing against Meg (or any of the stars with Down Syndrome), as it's not her fault that she's not ready (or it isn't a skill set she'll ever have), but it does point to them being able to live somewhat independently. 

I'm thrilled this is coming back, although I'd be more thrilled to never to see Kris again on my screen.  If Meg is on season two, I hope she left mom at home.  

• Love 4

I haven't rewatched any of these yet, but from what I remember, I think John is blessed with the best family support, and I think he will learn, and could be an opening act in small clubs.
His mother is my favorite mother, just as Megan's mother is just bad.
She's let Megan believe she could be self supporting, and live in LA with he tie-dye shirts and what the other job she wanted, TV producer? 
Then we find out she has no idea even how to buy groceries.  Poor job, mom.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CousinOliver said:

I had never heard of this show before today, but watched about 4 1/2 hours of a 5 hour marathon on A&E.  I really enjoyed it, for the most part. 

The only person in the series I didn't like was Kris, Megan's mother.  The whole thing just seemed opportunistic to me, like she found a way to feature her daughter's clothing line (and possibly get a few dates, and a lot of attention, out of it for herself.)  Even the crying at the estate planning stuff seemed inauthentic, to me.  It might be a symptom of watching 4 1/2 episodes in a row, but she seemed so contrived and self-serving. 

I loved how honest the rest of the families were, although all of them seemed to pale in comparison to Cristina's parents.  They were simply lovely.  I adored how her dad took Angel to the restaurant for a dry run and helped set things up.  He seemed like he was really interested in teaching life skills, suggesting Angel walk in and ask for a reservation for two for tomorrow, etc.  And, unlike Meg, Angel was able to interact with the public without having a melt down.  Nothing against Meg (or any of the stars with Down Syndrome), as it's not her fault that she's not ready (or it isn't a skill set she'll ever have), but it does point to them being able to live somewhat independently. 

I'm thrilled this is coming back, although I'd be more thrilled to never to see Kris again on my screen.  If Meg is on season two, I hope she left mom at home.  

Seems to me that Kris can't wait to dip out. How in the world can she even consider leaving Megan in LA and going all the way back to Colorado? Having a child with Down Syndrome is a lifetime commitment. You can't just peace out when you feel like it or when your kid tells you to. You have to be a parent. 

As far as Megan being so hell bent on living by herself, well the simple answer is no. Kris should tell her no. Flat out. And if she does develop the skills she needs to live alone, Kris should still be very close by. Like in the same apartment complex close. The fact that Kris is so willing to consider moving so far away is quite telling.

• Love 3

Megan had her video "Don't Limit Me" go viral before this show, she won the 2008 National High School Spirit of Sport Award, was honored at the Beating the Odds Summit at the White House and inspired many many teachers in re-thinking how they teach special needs students.  She calls her mom her dream maker and Kris has said that she has made a "life time" commitment to making sure that Megan has the best life she can!  I don't think Kris will be dropping Megan off in Cali and high tailing it back home. This is a mother committed to her daughter who has raised her by herself and I think she has done a damn good job!  

• Love 7

All that sounds good, but you have to make reality a part of the picture.
Megan thinks she will be able to do things that she hasn't shown any preparation for.  It seems she's being set up for disappointment.
I don't see that as a good job.

• Love 2

I checked the A&E website for the show to see if I could find that sneak peek, but only found a two-minute one.  From that, it looks like season two is one activity after another that is only happening because of the show.

Megan had her video "Don't Limit Me" go viral before this show, she won the 2008 National High School Spirit of Sport Award, was honored at the Beating the Odds Summit at the White House and inspired many many teachers in re-thinking how they teach special needs students.  She calls her mom her dream maker and Kris has said that she has made a "life time" commitment to making sure that Megan has the best life she can!  I don't think Kris will be dropping Megan off in Cali and high tailing it back home. This is a mother committed to her daughter who has raised her by herself and I think she has done a damn good job!  

I'm quite certain that Megan's speech was written by her mom.  I'm sure Kris is committed to giving Megan a good life, but she doesn't seem very realistic about it.  It's wonderful for your child to have dreams, but as a parent it's also important to gently let them know when those dreams are absolutely out of reach (like living on the beach in CA).

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I checked the A&E website for the show to see if I could find that sneak peek, but only found a two-minute one.  From that, it looks like season two is one activity after another that is only happening because of the show.

Here is a link to it. It's only really about 6:30. There was some commercial after it on my DVR

Born This Way

Be inspired and check out this sneak peek of #BornThisWay before Tuesday's season premiere at 10/9c on A&E!

Posted by Born This Way on A&E on Sunday, July 24, 2016
Edited by configdotsys
  • Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Here is a link to it. It's only really about 6:30. There was some commercial after it on my DVR

Born This Way

Be inspired and check out this sneak peek of #BornThisWay before Tuesday's season premiere at 10/9c on A&E!

Posted by Born This Way on A&E on Sunday, July 24, 2016

Ohhh...Elena is "that" girlfriend. Mmhmm. We all have one in the group you can't bring around your man. I see you Miss Thang. 

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 3

I agree that Meghan's dreams should not be encouraged, although I think a lot of it was show driven.  At least what they showed was the tour of the school and working on her business, not tours of movie studio's and looking at homes for sale.

What bothered me most and I hope does not continue this season is Sean's incessant use of "babes" and ladies man.  He acted out several times in very inappropriate ways. On his mothers website where she hawks her self published books she talked about Sean becoming physical when angry.  Both parents, but especially the mother even use "babe" and seem to think its cute. 

They really need to teach him how to talk about women and how to interact with them.

• Love 10
(edited)

Who's looking forward to tonight??

I don't have cable, so I'll be watching on Thursday  on the a a&e site.

I just spent 6 hours re watching all 6 episodes,reading this forum, and watching  sneak peaks/behind the scenes. 

I have so much to say about this show.  I love it !!!

I substituted for 8 years and worked in an sdc (special day class ) class for 2 ys. and my mom used to work as an advocate  (like the helper people ) with developmentally  disabled adults (they worked jobs and went to classes, most needed reminders, guidance, support)  and down syndrome is no joke, but the folks that have it are always endearing. Some of my favorite students to work with had down syndrome.

I work in a private school now teaching, and there is a huge disservice within private schools with regards to there not being disabled folks. I taught 5th grade last year and I showed them multiple clips from this show and online and they were amazed. I'm going to be teaching kindergarten  this year and intend on exposing these students to disabilities (on their level).

Anyway, does anyone know what disability  Angel has? I thought Megan's  mom was a teacher, too, but it seems she is in business  (which explains  Megology). 

Ok, now I have to go get things done, but I look forward  to season 2...yay!!!

Edited by Hey2all
  • Love 1

We don't have specific episode threads , so I don't want to break some rule or spoil for those who have not yet watched it.

I will try to keep it general.    I have come away from watching this 1st episode thinking it sucked. The same people who produce the Kardashians who did do a good job last year, have turned it into a soap opera.    I really didn't enjoy watching the cast who already have enough trouble handling emotions being set up in these situations.

What I enjoyed last year was the realistic and heartwarming scene with John working at the pet store.    Not the rapping, not the endless babe crap with Sean.

Seems like I will not be enjoying this season. Drama, exploitation of people with D.S., with it seems parents who think its ok.  Maybe I am wrong, hopefully I am.

I think they should of had a brand new cast.

• Love 1

Ugh, this is sliding away from documentary series to reality show in a hurry.

It's distracting to watch talking heads from last season juxtaposed with events from this season, making it painfully obvious they're not actually reflecting on what we just saw with their commentary.

Having sympathy for Elena doesn't stop me finding her annoying, but as I said before - I'm glad we see these people warts and all, rather than the common saintly portrayal of those with a disability.

Sean's parents are doing him - and society - no favors by continuing to brush off as amusing completely inappropriate behavior.  Do your damn job, people!

I didn't even recognize Steven's parents; it was as if I hadn't even seen them last season.  Weird.

Rachel and Cristina are sweet people.

Kris did what every single parent is supposed to do, but which must be so freakin' hard to do when your husband bounced and left you to raise a kid - especially a child with special needs - without him, by declining to talk shit about the other parent to that kid and instead trying to bolster her self esteem by saying he loves her.  Kids see the truth for themselves, and maybe with a typical child you can be a lot more "Yeah, Dad sucks" by this age, but Megan probably still needs to hear it's not about her.

• Love 4

I often find Elena annoying, too, but I like her.  When's she's not pouting, being jealous or teetering on the edge of a meltdown, she's smart and funny.  Love Rachel, Cristina, Steven and Angel.  Sean impressed me tonight with his handling of Elena's post- Ball drama at the club.  He got Steven (Stephen?) to calm down, nicely invited Elena over, and did a great job mediating their make-up.  Loved Elena's "Steven and I are friends.  Real friends, not air quotes."  Meg is a bit too sassy for me.  Not Cristina sassy, in a good way, but "I don't need my Mom, I can do whatever I want on my own," sassy.  It's great that her mom has nurtured her self-confidence, but making a bed and doing laundry should be skills Meg has mastered by now.

• Love 3

I may abandon this show. This episode just did not keep my interest and I kept forwarding through because it was boring. No idea why I noticed this but there was no postage on the box that Megan sent and it looked way too pristine to have gone through a shipping carrier. 

Regarding the drama: It was irritating that it was all about Steven being the goat but no one called out Elena on abandoning her date (esp. after he dropped his cash on a $20. corsage instead of chicken and mac and cheese!).  Her drama is exhausting and she can singlehandedly ruin everyone’s evening in a nanosecond. I just can’t with her. She owed John a major apology for her behavior but everyone was too busy talking to Steven about what he should and should not be doing. Even Steven said in the talking head that he wasn't his fault that Elena ambushed him.

I have no interest in the Mommy and Me segments with Megan. I get the feeling this is all about getting publicity for her shirt business and getting her mother on television. 

Rachel needs to have her own show. I love-love-love her!

• Love 8

Oh my.  Poor Steven.  Yes, Elena absolutely ambushed him and he was ill prepared to deal with it.  John and Rachel must have been rather hurt but managed to keep their chins up.  Kudos to them.  It made me pretty mad that they never really addressed Elena's actions with her and instead put it all on Steven.  That was not fair.

As for Megan and her mom - I like both of them but do think her mom could have done a better job preparing Megan for the real world.  There's no realistic expectation that Megan could live completely independently and it's something that needs to be addressed with her. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Steven and Elena both sucked this episode. He was flirting his ass off with her, no wonder she decided to dump John and go with Steven. I get that they aren't great at navigating relationships but I just think Steven should know better than to lead Elena on.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 4

Elena bailed on John as soon as Steven came through the door. Elena is dancing in her seat and screams “Finally! Finally” as giddy as can be when Steven arrives. He asks her how she’s doing and she hugs him. He asks her how she’s doing and she says, “I can’t stop thinking about you.” At that point he says the same thing back to her. Then she tells the group that she wants to dance with Steven. Rachel chimes in and says “you have to dance with John” and Elena says “No” in a whiny voice. Then Elena gets all whiny in the TH because she’s jealous of the engaged couple. Then she has Steven put the wrist corsage (that John bought her) on her after he gets to his knees. AFter all that, Steven seems to have gotten caught up in the moment and behaved badly. 

Steven was definitely ambushed but I wonder why 1) Elena agreed to go with John and 2) Why she didn’t ask Steven or get one of the friends to tell him she wanted to go with him.

Sigh. Too much drama! I liked this show because it took me away from drama!

I do love in the scene from this season when Steven says to Sean, “We’re not in charge of the world, we’re just in charge of this house” in response to dishes being left in the sink.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Steven and Elena both sucked this episode. He was flirting his ass off with her, no wonder she decided to dump John and go with Steven. I get that they aren't great at navigating relationships but I just think Steven should know better than to lead Elena on.

That is exactly how I viewed it too.   Then Steven completely dissolves into what seemed to me like depression for most of the episode.  While they were both wrong to shit on John , I have never seen John show any interest in the young women.   I get a gay vibe from him or he just is not interested in relationships at all.

I think what definitely turned this into a shit show for me was in the coming attractions, when Kristina finds out her fiance is talking to other women online and they show her allegedly handing him back the ring.   I don't want to see her get her heart broken on a tv show. I admired her parents probably the most for numerous reasons and now this. Shame on everyone involved.

• Love 5

It was extremely annoying  that everything was put on Steven and not Elena. It looks like Elena messes with Angel later on in the season.

Maybe John is asexual? He doesn't show intrest in girls, but he's not sexual either.

There is almost this "we've been a long way coming in this journey" vibe in all of the parents. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I get a gay vibe from him or he just is not interested in relationships at all.

I get a gay vibe from him too.

It upset me SO much to see the whole "handing back the ring" thing in the coming attractions. That was NOT this show last year. So sad that it's going in that direction. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Rachel needs to have her own show. I love-love-love her!

Yes!!! I would love a show about Rachel, her parents, her job at Scottish-American Insurance, and Jonathan and Lee ... Maybe with a little Adam Lambert thrown in. ☺️ ... A&E, please make this happen!!

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, SleepyAndClumsy said:

Yes!!! I would love a show about Rachel, her parents, her job at Scottish-American Insurance, and Jonathan and Lee ... Maybe with a little Adam Lambert thrown in. ☺️ ... A&E, please make this happen!!

Rachel is wonderful. She handled the pre Red Carpet Ball awkwardness between Stephen, Elena, and John so well and calmly stated that the whole thing was making her feel uncomfortable. She also held her ground and said she could not be John' s date because "my escort is waiting for me at the dance". Such a lovely, sweet young lady.

• Love 10

I felt so sorry for Kris when she was describing Megan's birth and talking about her father. I thought the boyfriend girlfriend drama was stupid. I don't know why they didn't rent a limo and all go as a group.

• Love 3

Rachel's "you dance with the one who brought you" opposition to what was going on at her pre-ball party was so endearing.  As were her rules for when twerking is and is not appropriate.  She's a good egg, as is Cristina.  The rest take turns annoying me.

I felt for Steven at the mixer, talking about how the focus among most people there is to find a spouse, and he's not thinking that way now; he just wants to get laid.  That's so typical - and healthy - at his age, so is he not allowed that because he has Down Syndrome?  But it's also "Irony, party of one" to watch him writing skits about being rejected because of his disability, when at every turn he rejects women for the same reason. 

• Love 9

I was hoping that someone would point out to Elena how unfair and unkind she was to John, for dumping him, as he was the one that brought her.
She seems so emotionally fragile, but she does play that card a lot, and it seems to work too well for her.  Maybe let her sulk in a corner some.

To me, it seemed Kris blew a chance again, when she let Meg think she was against a baby because it would be hard for her, etc.
She really, really needs to say, "you don't have, because I haven't taught you, basic life skills."
Maybe she should leave her for fend for herself for a few days, and see what she doesn't know.
I do know that I'm finding Meg unsufferable sometimes.

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, auntjess said:

To me, it seemed Kris blew a chance again, when she let Meg think she was against a baby because it would be hard for her, etc.
She really, really needs to say, "you don't have, because I haven't taught you, basic life skills."
Maybe she should leave her for fend for herself for a few days, and see what she doesn't know.
I do know that I'm finding Meg unsufferable sometimes.

Agree, and to point out that raising a child is a LOT of work that Megan would have a hard time doing on her own, so Kris would have to help her, and that's not something Kris is able or willing to do. Stop pussyfooting around, Kris!

• Love 4

My daughter and I got hooked on this show last season and could not wait for the new episode. She had to work when it aired and she texted me to ask how it was. The only thing I could think to say was "it took a bit of a dark turn." Steven was down & out most of the episode, and I did not like the previews with Cristina & Angel - they are the sweetest couple and I was sad to see drama. Cristina's parents are hands down my favorite of the bunch! Hoping things are better next week. I was not a fan of this episode.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Agree, and to point out that raising a child is a LOT of work that Megan would have a hard time doing on her own, so Kris would have to help her, and that's not something Kris is able or willing to do. Stop pussyfooting around, Kris!

And what about the fact that a woman with Down syndrome has a 50% chance of having a baby with Down syndrome? Why not tell her that she can't have a child based on that fact alone? Meg should have been told a long time ago that babies are not in the cards for her. 

• Love 5

I thought the show went in a weird turn too.  Especially the scenes after the dance at the center where they hang out . That looked like they were all fed lines.

I think Megan has been told that if she has a baby it has a high chance of having downs too. But last season her mom was also worried that she was going to get pregnant by accident so she better stop baby stepping around the issue and get that girl on some birth control if she isn't already.

• Love 2

And what about the fact that a woman with Down syndrome has a 50% chance of having a baby with Down syndrome? Why not tell her that she can't have a child based on that fact alone?

That's a bit tricky.  Telling Megan she shouldn't have a child because it might have Down syndrome is telling her that her life is less valuable and that having a child like her would not be good.  I agree that it is an issue, but telling her that could backfire big time.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, camom said:

That's a bit tricky.  Telling Megan she shouldn't have a child because it might have Down syndrome is telling her that her life is less valuable and that having a child like her would not be good.  I agree that it is an issue, but telling her that could backfire big time.

I have been thinking about this for days. I think its tricky as you said, but also maybe impossible at times?   All of the cast are adults so the parents cannot have them get a vasectomy/hysterectomy without their consent, yet are they legally capable to even make a decision like that?     Then there is the very understandable reason you stated about how you do explain to them how they would not want/be able to care for a D.S. child.    Bad wording, as I know that these children are very much wanted. Its just hard to find the right way to say without hurting anyone.

The only thing I can think of is to explain to someone like Meghan that she does not have to skills to raise a baby in the gentlest way?  Or get one of those pretend babies they use with unwed teens.  

Its very sad, but at the same time I totally understand that Meghan's mom does not want to raise a baby of Meghans.    She does have that right.   She will always be raising and taking care of Meghan for the rest of her life.

• Love 5
(edited)

Meghan's mom already said that having a child like her wouldn't be good when she told her how hard it was for her and that she didn't want Meghan to have to go through what she did. What did she mean by that exactly?

If I had to raise my grandchildren, for example, if my daughter wanted to get pregnant as a teenager, It would be within my rights to say, "No. Sorry but I can't and won't support a baby for you. I guess you can't be alone with your boyfriend anymore." 

Meghan has been on the circuit with her mom and she knows having Down syndrome is not a good thing to have. I guess this isn't politically correct but nobody would choose a Down syndrome baby. If the chances are too high then it's best to make the decision to not have a child. That's why most women who are still fertile in their 40s throw in the towel. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's true. I don't think that means we want to take Meghan herself out of the world or that Kris would turn back time and never have her. She is very loved. But she had to go through a lot of pain and suffering just to become a healthy baby. 

Does anybody know what age level Meghan is mentally? 

Just want to add that the "choice" I was talking about had nothing to do with abortion. I meant if you could choose before conception, nobody would choose Down Syndrome. I don't want to make this an abortion debate, so please don't take it wrong. 

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 7

I'd think the problem would be with caring for any child, with or without disabilities.
Remembering to keep it fed, clothed, and safe.  Keeping a clean home, shopping, paying rent, bringing in an imcome, budgeting--all those things are needed for any child.

• Love 1
On 7/28/2016 at 0:14 AM, kathyk24 said:

I felt so sorry for Kris when she was describing Megan's birth and talking about her father. I thought the boyfriend girlfriend drama was stupid. I don't know why they didn't rent a limo and all go as a group.

My distaste for Megan's Mom dropped about 98% when she was defending Megan's Da to her.  Saying he did the best he could, and he loved her.  That made her go up a lot of points to me.  I am sure she has her own (probably) negative feelings toward the man who (presumably)  abandoned her and their special child, but she cared enough for her daughter to defend him.    That made up for a LOT of shit, and was very decent.  I don't know of a lot of exes who would be so kind.

• Love 4
On 1/8/2016 at 6:56 AM, still hoping said:

I really really like the whole gang. I especially like Megan and her Mom Chris. On the first or 2nd show they had pics of when Megan was a baby, Chris was sooooo so young and pretty.....Megan was adorable....you just know the dad left them and now has a "family" ...Megan has never met her 1/2 siblings she said

IMHO this woman has given up a lot and done everything on her own and yes shoot for the stars you miight not make it but you will still go higher

I think Chris is wise to go back to Colorado and hopefully she can work on the "life skills" but Megan can still do her other things. It seemed clear to me she loves fashion and girly stuff and crafts. Megan was showing the gals how to do the ice tye dye..really neat. So what if she practices her speeches? So what if she had a web designer etc. I do web design and social media and I can't tell you how many successful biz people can't remember passwords, don't know what a url is,  and so forth. I just had  a lawyer with 4 LinkedIn accounts and 3 facebook pages - every time he forgot a password he opened  new one LOL

Loved John with the dogs ....so sweet. I like John, I like his rapping and his big talk....I hope he can get a job in a kennel, a paying job, or some grant or whatever.

Love love sweet Rachel. It was so cute to see her with her "Idol" LOL. I also like seeing her on her job and wish we saw a bit more of her at the office

I hope they do show more of Steven and of course Christina and her Angel - seems like those lovebirds will feature next week

I think Sean is sort of lovable but I hope his parents get their heads on straight and teach him some boundaries. I don't "get" their situation - the move (hated leaving the turtle)...I don't think Sean is ready to live alone at all. Really odd

I admit - bad me- I did not miss Elena. I doubt if there was any redemption or change or story arc for her. My guess is the producers backed off her. She made a brief appearance at the pool with Megan and John but we didn't see her at the "clubhouse" or whatever you call it where they hang out.

I admire all the parents. It can't be easy. I especially admire Megan's mom Chris - she had to do it all on her own. I think she has given up a lot. 

and at such a young age.  She was only 22 ?  23 ?  when she had a DS baby which is very rare.   I think she has done the best she could.

• Love 3
On 7/28/2016 at 0:55 PM, Nowhere said:

And what about the fact that a woman with Down syndrome has a 50% chance of having a baby with Down syndrome? Why not tell her that she can't have a child based on that fact alone? Meg should have been told a long time ago that babies are not in the cards for her. 

But what if she says fuck that, I will have  child if I want.   No one can tell her not to have a child just because it may have DS.   I am 44 years old (p'tooey) and NO ONE can tell me not to have a kid because he/she may be DS, have a tail, or flippers.  So why tell her???

Edited by Stella Rose
spelling/grammar
22 minutes ago, Stella Rose said:

But what if she says fuck that, I will have  child if I want.   No one can tell her not to have a child just because it may have DS.   I am 44 years old (p'tooey) and NO ONE can tell me not to have a kid because he/she may be DS, have a tail, or flippers.  So why tell her???

I agree except Megan won't be the one raising the child. DS or not. I think Chris does have a great say in that decision. 

• Love 6

And what I fault Kris for, is that Megan doesn't really have any idea of what all it would take for her to take care of herself on her own, let along a baby.
There's  no excuse, at Megan's age, and with all the encouragement to go for her dream from Kris, that Kris has allowed her to remain ignorant of what it takes in the real world.
No excuse!

• Love 5

Presumably you can take care of a child, even a child with special needs, on your own.  Megan can't now, and probably not ever.  Kris can't tell her, "Do not have a baby," but she can tell her, "I will not help you raise a baby."  But if Megan goes out and gets knocked up by a guy who isn't capable of and willing to do all the things Megan can't do, can Kris realistically just step back and say, "I warned you; figure it out"?  Not really.  It's a complicated issue, and one I like seeing explored.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

When I posted about the chances of Down Syndrome it was in addition to a long conversation about why Meghan should not have a child, which is that she cannot take care of a child on her own. Kris would have to take care of the child for Meghan for at least the next 18 yrs IF the child does NOT have Down syndrome. There is a 50% chance that the baby will be born with Down syndrome. In that case, Kris will be taking care of not only Meghan but also Meghan's child FOR THE REST OF HER (Kris's) LIFE. And who will take care of them after Kris is gone? 

Considering that Meghan probably has the mental capacity of a 10yr old and she cannot even do her own laundry or order her own meat at the deli, Kris must and always has taken care of her and supervised her. So that's the answer. Meghan can say she's going to do this or that without her mom *three snaps in Z formation*, but the fact is, she can't even take care of herself much less another person.

If Meghan is having sex, she should be taking birth control. Since Kris does everything else for her, she can also make sure she takes the pill.

• Love 3

She was only 22 ?  23 ?  when she had a DS baby which is very rare. 

Actually, the majority of Down syndrome children are born to younger moms, simply because they are the ones having the most babies.  True, your chances of having a child with DS increase as you get older, but it's a myth that most of these children are born to aging moms.  (I was 21 when I had my child with Down syndrome.)

The 50% chance of Megan having a child with Down syndrome is also not completely accurate.  According to the National Down Syndrome Society, a woman with Down syndrome has a 35%-50% of having a child with DS or other developmental disabilities.  Of course, that doesn't change the fact that Megan herself would be incapable of caring for a child on her own.

Edited by camom
  • Love 2