Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Celebrating Diversity

I'm super uncomfortable with criticizing any of these mothers. I don't have any experience with people who have mental disabilities but I can imagine it would be an incredibly hard. I find all the parents amazing and delightful. I like the bonds they have with each other and the devotion they have to their children.

I find the criticism of Megan's mom especially confusing. Of course Megan had help writing the speech. Of course she practiced said speech. Lots of people do those things. Of course she encourages her daughter to have dreams. What is she suppose to do? Tell Megan that it's not possible because she has DS? And who knows what goes on between them. Maybe it is stated in gentler terms that it is not likely but sure lets go visit the school. As far as her helping Megan with her clothing line and website. Of course she helps Megan. Most people would need help with running a business and setting up a website and again...Megan has Down syndrome.

• Love 11

I don't blame Megan's mom for wanting the best for her daughter but I think it could be done more realistically. I don't encourage my stepdaughter to pursue things she's not going to be capable of, such as professional basketball, but I do encourage her to pursue things she shows skill in like karate and math. Encouraging Megan to become a movie producer when she can't count 20's or ask for meat from a butcher is setting her up for disappointment.

I loved seeing Rachel at the concert and really want to see more of Christina and the guy with Mosaic DS.

• Love 5

Was someone cutting onions in the concert scene?! It was just so sweet seeing how excited Rachel was. Such a cool woman.

I think Meg's mom had an epiphany after that grocery trip. Especially with Meg having Celiac. You don't f with gluten and as her mom said, she could get very sick. Sure labels nowadays say gluten free but ordering meats and prepared foods from counters requires to specifically ask if there is any gluten and since Meg has problems just asking for the beef....yeah...not good

I sort of got the impression that Meg really hasn't been pushed to independently shop much from the way she was really about to go off on her mom. Kind of like, "why are you making me do all this right now?" Task analysis strips could really benefit her. They can also help in doing chore at home

Not shocked she doesn't do well with math. I would say I have maybe met a handful of students who are able to use that sort of thinking and correspondence with numbers. Math is a whole other ball game than other skills though and it is definitely a struggle for me!

It all comes down to learned the basic functioning life skills for these kids. I think it is often put on the back burner while academics or dreams/goal takes precedence. Meg is a great case of the importance of learning these living skills and it is so sad that so much of that is being taken away from the curriculums in favor of math and reading (which are way too out of my students' cognitive level). We need more community based instructions to gain these skills

• Love 1

I've worked with several people with cognitive disabilities and math skills including money management seem to be more difficult to learn rather than reading. I feel bad for Megan's mom because it seems she's had no support while raising her unlike the other families and she's had to do everything on her own.

• Love 3

I think it is wonderful to encourage our kids (all kids) to reach for their goals, but it is also important to help them be realistic about those goals.  That's where I think Megan's mom has not done her daughter any favors.  And since Megan obviously wants to live on her own, the fact that she seems to not have been taught the basics (bed making, laundry) does not bode well.  They need to do a lot of catch up.  Now that the show has been renewed for a 2nd season, I wonder what they will do.  This first season was filmed in the summer when they were available to come to CA from CO.  I assume the next season will be filmed before summer.  Will they move for a few months again?  I know that the participants with DS are getting paid, but not enough to cover all of their living expenses while they're here.

• Love 3

Yeah, it seems like in Kris's effort to encourage Megan to shoot for the stars, she overlooked the smaller things that are critical for Megan to not only reach those goals, but to just live on her own eventually. 

• Love 1

Plus, Megan has spent 22 years expecting her mom to do things for her.  I think, based on the scene in the grocery store, she is going to balk at being taught to do some things for herself.  It would have been a lot easier for everyone if they had been working on independent living skills since she was little.

Edited by camom
  • Love 1

I like her a lot too. Her joyfulness was infectious! Is she really short or is Adam Lambert super tall? I think he was down on one knee during the M&G? John was very sweet at the pet rescue, too. Loved his enthusiasm.

He is 6'1". Isn't one of the physical characteristics of DS short stature? She is likely very tiny. Even when he kneeled beside her, he was still slightly taller.

I haven't missed Elena.

Is John gay? He was talking about how sexy AL is and seemed to perk up when they said that he has a boyfriend. Plus, some of his snaps and "Yass honey" moments lead me this way. (Problematic to say based on stereotypes, I know)

Edited by sunsheyen
  • Love 2

I really really like the whole gang. I especially like Megan and her Mom Chris. On the first or 2nd show they had pics of when Megan was a baby, Chris was sooooo so young and pretty.....Megan was adorable....you just know the dad left them and now has a "family" ...Megan has never met her 1/2 siblings she said

IMHO this woman has given up a lot and done everything on her own and yes shoot for the stars you miight not make it but you will still go higher

I think Chris is wise to go back to Colorado and hopefully she can work on the "life skills" but Megan can still do her other things. It seemed clear to me she loves fashion and girly stuff and crafts. Megan was showing the gals how to do the ice tye dye..really neat. So what if she practices her speeches? So what if she had a web designer etc. I do web design and social media and I can't tell you how many successful biz people can't remember passwords, don't know what a url is,  and so forth. I just had  a lawyer with 4 LinkedIn accounts and 3 facebook pages - every time he forgot a password he opened  new one LOL

Loved John with the dogs ....so sweet. I like John, I like his rapping and his big talk....I hope he can get a job in a kennel, a paying job, or some grant or whatever.

Love love sweet Rachel. It was so cute to see her with her "Idol" LOL. I also like seeing her on her job and wish we saw a bit more of her at the office

I hope they do show more of Steven and of course Christina and her Angel - seems like those lovebirds will feature next week

I think Sean is sort of lovable but I hope his parents get their heads on straight and teach him some boundaries. I don't "get" their situation - the move (hated leaving the turtle)...I don't think Sean is ready to live alone at all. Really odd

I admit - bad me- I did not miss Elena. I doubt if there was any redemption or change or story arc for her. My guess is the producers backed off her. She made a brief appearance at the pool with Megan and John but we didn't see her at the "clubhouse" or whatever you call it where they hang out.

I admire all the parents. It can't be easy. I especially admire Megan's mom Chris - she had to do it all on her own. I think she has given up a lot. 

• Love 1

Why didn't Rachel's parents get her earplugs if she has sensitive hearing? That way she wouldn't miss out on anything. I wonder if Megan's mother never thought she'd be living on her own so she never bothered to teach her life skills. There are also some parents who are codependent with their children.

I had wondered that too but I think the majority of it are crowds. I wouldn't really consider a baseball game very loud. 

Yeah, the speech sounds like it came from an older person. Especially the living with purpose part, and the part where she says the parents in the audience are her heroes. I can't imagine a 22-year-old saying things like that.

I guess what bothers me about the speech thing is that it just seems like a perform-on-command thing and the words don't seem like they came from Megan. I honestly thought that Megan had written the speech until this episode. Yes, it's awesome that Megan can speak publicly in groups but I am less impressed by the fact that it's mom's message and not Megan's. I would have liked I have heard a speech like Sean's message that he delivered to the crowd; something more authentic eveb if less polished. I am more interested in hearing Megan's thoughts and insights, not mom's.

That exactly!! I was like "this is her amazing speech?"  it sounded way too rehearsed and not something she would actually put together herself. 

This episode was a HUGE eye opener for me regarding megan.  I am not that familiar with DS but thought these people had it pretty together to do more than the normal person with DS, especially Megan.  And then we see that she can't count money..... and she doesn't know how to do laundry.... 

For awhile I wasn't really understanding why some of them that are high functioning (like Megan) couldn't go out on her own.

But do Sean's parents really expect him to live by himself?

Rachel at the concert made me cry.  That was such an awesome scene.  I'm sure it was producer driven, no way would someone be able to just walk up to the stage like that and you could tell that everyone else was obviously suppose to stand back from the stage. But it was really nice for her. 

• Love 1

Why did Sean's family leave the tortoise behind at their old house?  It's not like they were moving to an apartment where they couldn't keep it.  

I assumed it wasn't a pet, but a wild tortoise that lived either in the area or in the backyard. It would have been cruel to move it in that case.

• Love 1

I assumed it wasn't a pet, but a wild tortoise that lived either in the area or in the backyard. It would have been cruel to move it in that case.

Since this family does not live in the desert, I'm going to assume it was not a wild tortoise. You do not see desert tortoises roaming around suburban neighborhoods unless it's an escaped pet. In fact, as far as I know, in California you can only own a desert tortoise such as Speedy if you have it registered since it is not supposed to be removed from its natural habitat. Otherwise, you can be subject to fines.

I found it a bit ironic that the message of Megan's speech was "Don't limit me", when limiting Megan is what her mother has done by not teaching her basic life skills. It's great that Kris has encouraged Megan to have dreams for her life, but it seems she's never had a conversation with Megan about what that really entails. Megan wants to live on her own in California. Her Mom needs to sit her down and explain all the things that Megan has to be able to do before that can happen, like grocery shopping and laundry. I was surprised that in the grocery store Kris didn't bluntly tell Megan that if she couldn't accomplish a trip to the store, she wasn't ready to live on her own. It was the perfect opportunity for her to do so, but it doesn't seem like Kris really wants to have those hard conversations with Megan.

It may be that Megan will always need help with certain things, like money management. But other things, I think she could accomplish if taught. The tie-dye process looked fairly complicated, but Megan obviously knew what she was talking about when she explained it. Surely that means she is capable of doing her own laundry. Even if Megan had extensive practice and coaching from Kris to make her public speeches, Megan is able to successfully give the speeches. So, I would think she should be able to order beef from the butcher on her own with coaching and practice.

• Love 2

I understand that Meg's mom didn't have much help, and that she wants to encourage Meg to do all she  can, but how in the world did she even consider letting her stay in LA on her own, when she couldn't buy groceries or do laundry.
Was she thinking of a dorm, where she'd get her meals?  She'd still have to do laundry.

Loved seeing John with the dogs, and hope he can turn it into a paying position.
Good for Steven on the bike, and Meg did pretty well on it too.

I also worried about the turtle, and thought that Sean may have been going to a group home.

Good for Rachel, and for Adam Lambert.

I was thinking that Sean's parents need to talk to Rachel's parents and get tips on how to teach appropriate behavior and contact. It seems that he hasn't had much "reeling in" of his behaviors. I got this vibe in their initial talk about moving a few episodes when he refused to hear anything they said and talked over them and the parents just let it go. Maybe they gave him too much leeway as a child and now don't know how to turn it around? I think he does the eyebrow thing on purpose when he wiggles them. But either way, he gives off creepy vibes. 

An inherent grasp of those social cues and norms may not come as naturally to him because of DS, but they seem to be teachable based on watching Rachel and her interactions with others. In addition, Parth seemed fine with expressing that certain touches made him feel uncomfortable, so I doubt that the concepts are things that Sean can't grasp. It's more that he doesn't want to hear anything that's not what Sean wants to hear, IMO.

The thing that worries me about Sean is that he may one day be hitting on a girl, and her boyfriend decides to hit back.

Sean's parents have done him NO favors in not only allowing his behavior to continue, but to actively encourage it. Honestly, it's not cute when a 6 year old does it and its sure as hell not when a 20 year old acts that way. Hell, I started volunteering at a camp for kids with handicaps when I was in 9th grade and as a camp we put the kibosh on the 6 year old ladies men some 25 years ago, knowing those behaviors weren't appropriate and were even less so with our 18 year old campers. Maybe it was because the camp was serving kids 6-21, broken up by age group and to some extent, abilities, you got to see the long term picture of what could become a huge issue if encouraged at 6, 7, 8 years old. At this point, Sean's parent have at best, raised a highly inappropriate young man, and at worst, set him up for a sexual harassment or assault case. We've already seen his mouth never stops and sooner or later, I do see him either becoming physically aggressive towards a "babe" he wants or getting his ass kicked when he runs his mouth about a random woman and her boyfriend or husband not giving a second thought to beating him up just because of his DS. 

• Love 8

At this point, Sean's parent have at best, raised a highly inappropriate young man, and at worst, set him up for a sexual harassment or assault case. We've already seen his mouth never stops and sooner or later, I do see him either becoming physically aggressive towards a "babe" he wants or getting his ass kicked when he runs his mouth about a random woman and her boyfriend or husband not giving a second thought to beating him up just because of his DS. 

I could not agree more. The way Sean acts, and the way he mouths off to the boyfriends of girls he "likes," it's a matter of time before some aggressive dude beats the shit out of him, and his parents act like it's almost cute.

• Love 5

Sometimes reading these boards is the most infuriating part of my day. it is just unbelievable that there are opinion different than mine and you all aren't jumping up and agreeing with me. I seriously was just getting angry. Then I realized I'm a moron and a forum on a low rated a&e show should not be causing me so much fury.

I do agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. I think Sean can be overly aggressive. I don't like johns rapper persona. I think Megan's mom should have taught her more life skills. I find Elena annoying. I also think that most of their parents would agree with these assessments. All parents make mistakes and these people are not immune to that fact.

I also don't want to pretend that I know what goes on in these people's houses off camera. We have seen these people for a total of 5 hours and that is spread out even more between all of the different stories. I don't know what they are working on and how they handle certain situations. I think it is likely that Sean's parent talk to him often about toning it down. I think that Megan's mom probably was never considering leaving Megan in California. But I don't know because I have only seen minutes of their lives.

I want to be the kind of person who sees the successes of their parenting rather than focusing on what can only be assumed as mistakes.

In conclusion, I'm right! :)

• Love 3

So - I just found this show and I'm loving it!  For the record, I have been a special ed. teacher for 30 years, so I lack sentimentality when it comes to persons with disabilities, and I really like how this show is portraying both the main characters and their parents.

WRT Sean - the one thing I would like to point out that I haven't seen mentioned here is the dinner he had with Steven, the other Sean and some other guys where they were toasting with their beers: the topic under discussion was how Sean was going to "steal other Sean's girlfriend" - and how were the guys at that dinner party acting?  Like it was a) super cute, and b) never going to happen.

This is how most people with DS are treated, in my experience - in a kind and friendly manner, but with a condescending smile, because they are so damn cute.  When Sean gets that everywhere he goes, how is he to learn to behave differently?  (Interesting that Steven is the only person objecting to Sean's behavior:  IMO it's because he's the only person to take Sean seriously!

(WRT Sean's eyebrows - it looks to me like he sometimes does it to be cute, and other times his eyebrows seem to move almost independently from his face - like someone who plays with hair or bites fingernails without noticing it.)

Megan's mom:  seems to have put the cart before the horse - as if Megan's "clothing line" will support her, while there is no actual PERSON to support her.  We are expected to watch Megan "host" a "marketing meeting", when in actuality Megan can't count a stack of bills.  I do believe her mom thinks that she is doing her best for Megan, but the fact is that Megan can't run a company if she can't count the bills she makes at a flea market.  I am glad her mom seems to get that laundry, grocery shopping and speaking up are things that need to happen before Megan is able to produce and/or direct a movie!  Or be left at home alone.

• Love 6

Sometimes reading these boards is the most infuriating part of my day. it is just unbelievable that there are opinion different than mine and you all aren't jumping up and agreeing with me. I seriously was just getting angry. Then I realized I'm a moron and a forum on a low rated a&e show should not be causing me so much fury.

In conclusion, I'm right! :)

Sorry, but this post was really strange to me. Just to figure out what you meant, I went and saw the last post you wrote in this thread, and five people "liked" it, so not sure why you think everyone is against you? I feel like the discussion has been extremely civil and understanding of all the viewpoints :)

• Love 3

I was trying to be funny unsuccessfully I suppose.

I don't feel that everyone is against me but there are definitely people on here that are more snarky and critical of the participants of this show. My point was that while I was reading other comments I was increasingly feeling upset that not everyone thought the same way as me. How dare people have different opinions and share them in a show forum. Then I realized I was ridiculous and that is why these boards exist.

• Love 2

I read that the show was renewed for another season, does that mean Megan and her mom won't be on it?  I'm still not sure what was the point of pretending that there was a chance of Megan ever being left to live alone in L.A..  The "realization" that Megan wasn't (and may never be) prepared to live on her own bothered me in what was an otherwise really good series.  Was a supposed to believe that mom (what is her name?) didn't know that her daughter would need to know how to handle money and do grocery store runs before they left Colorado?

I admit I was nervous that the show would somehow resort to showing the participants in a bad light.  I guess that's more TLC's bag though.

I loved the open mike night toward the end of the program. It was great to see them all do what they love. I particularly liked how Elena helped Megan with her piece and was such a great director when Megan got off-topic - "Look at the script, Megan!" Elena appears to have grown the most. I thought I would tire of her quickly with the number of breakdowns she had in the first two episodes, but she has recognized some things about herself that she wants to change and is taking steps to do so.

I teared up at Cristina and Angel's promise ring/engagement. I'm not sure if it turned more into an engagement than merely a promise to be engaged, but at least Cristina is happy!

The one thing I did not like was how Megan's mom approached Megan about moving back to Colorado. I felt she was being dishonest with her daughter. She framed it as money being the only problem, rather than addressing openly and honestly that Megan needs to learn to take care of herself before living on her own. I think Megan's mom has spent her life skirting the issue, and it's left Megan a 22-year-old who wants to be independent without any realization of what that might take.

• Love 3

Yeah, and with Megan at the end saying she's going to finish school (is she actually enrolled for a degree, because I thought she was just taking classes), get engaged to her boyfriend, and come back to LA with or without her mother, it has obviously not sunk in.  She has $300 to her name, but thinks she's going to buy a place in Los Angeles.  She cannot count money or select groceries, but thinks she's ready to live independently.  I hope being around the other families - did they have no DS network in Denver? - leads Kris to have some frank conversations with Megan when they get home.

Elena's is a difficult personality to abide, so I'm particularly curious to see her next season as she continues on the path to self acceptance. 

Cristina's parents were the season's all-stars for me.  And, yeah, was that an engagement or a promise of future engagement?

• Love 2

I was also a bit confused as to whether Angel was proposing, but I figure they are planning to get married, so it doesn't really matter what they call it - they're engaged. I know, as a grown woman who'd been dating a guy for 5 years, if he gave me a "promise ring" and didn't call it an engagement I'd be pissed, LOL. I think they are basically engaged but not planning a wedding at this moment, because they need to get their shizz together financially. It was a really cute proposal!

Elena was way more awesome in this episode. I really liked when Megan gave her the wings. Warm fuzzies all around in this episode!

• Love 1

"Cristina's parents were the season's all-stars for me."

They sure were.   Loving and wonderful people.  I think it reflects in how well their daughter has grown up.

That said, with zero knowledge of D.S.  I have a feeling there are levels so to speak of the severity?  We can't count Steven in, because Mosaic D.S. is definitely much different in that to me he seems almost "typical".   (Apologies if I do not use the right terms)      

I think Sean and Megan are probably the most severely affected in that they may never be able to learn the basic skills to live independently. It may not be that the parents have not tried, it may be that they know its never going to happen.  In Megan's moms defense I know as a single parent of one typical child I was guilty of just "doing it" instead of teaching because my time was so limited because I also worked full time.   Of course its not helping them, but there is so much time in one day when you are exhausted.    I could not begin to imagine adding in having a special needs child.

But, I do think Megan's mom has tried and realizes Megan is just not capable of certain everyday tasks.    Like Sean, I got the feeling we did not see the real Megan and what happens when her mom tries to gently push her into trying a little more. 

In Sean's case I think we saw parents who indulged and even promote some behavior that is definitely not good for her. His mom calls women "babes" which REALLY bothered me.    Sean will get himself into some very bad trouble if he continues it.  He, imo should not be drinking either as it could escalate the inappropriate things he says and does.

I really liked the show but I would of rather seen realistic scenes in which each person was trying to achieve goals like finding a job or living in a group home rather than encouraging them to think they will be a film director or rap star.  Wonderful hobbies to have, but John performing in Hollywood is not helping him find a good life for himself.

I loved that they showed Elena in the most realistic light and in that I learned that she is heartbroken she has D.S. and is trying to come to terms with her life. She seems more intellectually aware than the others and it breaks my heart that she struggles so much.   But we can also see she is very kind, funny and does enjoy her life at times.  I am glad she lives as independently as she can.     

• Love 6

Why doesn't Megan go live with Elena in the group home? They're best friends and Megan won't be totally alone.

I don't think Megan is capable of even a group living situation yet.  She would need a lot more basic skills imo.     I know that we saw Rachel writing a check for her hair appointment so she would probably have the skills to live independently like Elena.

I think like Sean, Megan is much more limited in her level of skills or achievement.     

• Love 3

Was I the only one annoyed by Elena's parents? You couldn't be bothered to bring her to your new home? No wonder she feels unwelcome there. Megan can't just live with Elena she's not a resident of California and there a long waiting list for placement.

Was I the only one annoyed by Elena's parents? You couldn't be bothered to bring her to your new home? No wonder she feels unwelcome there. Megan can't just live with Elena she's not a resident of California and there a long waiting list for placement.

I got the sense that they moved after she had already moved out on her own (in the group home).  She just didn't like to visit them anymore because she was attached to the old home that she grew up in.  She is an adult not living at home anymore and her parents have a right to move or downsize their empty nest. 

• Love 3

I know that Elena's parents have a right to move but it struck me as being very cold having a staff person bring her to the house rather than doing it themselves. If I knew my daughter struggled with change I would make her as comfortable as possible even if it was for short visits. 

• Love 1
I got the sense that they moved after she had already moved out on her own (in the group home).  She just didn't like to visit them anymore because she was attached to the old home that she grew up in.

Yeah, her mom said she used to come visit them every weekend and no longer does, and Elena said it's because she doesn't like coming to the new house.

I know that Elena's parents have a right to move but it struck me as being very cold having a staff person bring her to the house rather than doing it themselves.

I would not be surprised if Elena is more comfortable with one of her counselors (or whatever that person's title was) accompanying her on something that makes her anxious.

• Love 3

That said, with zero knowledge of D.S.  I have a feeling there are levels so to speak of the severity?

Absolutely.  Just like people who don't have DS, there are differences in abilities and skills.  As the parent of an adult with DS, one thing that does bother me is that people with little ones will watch this show and think that their kids will grow up to have jobs (Steven & Rachel), get married (Christina), go to college (Megan), etc.  Some will, but not all.  And it is true that different people have different skills.  Some of my child's friends can't read much, while mine reads very well.  Some can cook, do their banking, etc. but some can't.  

FWIW, the 7 participants on the show were paid, but I doubt that the production company paid for Megan and Kris's housing.  I wouldn't be surprised if Kris thought it would be worth the expense in order to give Megan exposure, for her speaking "career" and Megology.  I think it would have been much better if Kris had told Megan that they would be going to L.A. for a few weeks to film the show, but had made it clear that she would be going back to Colorado.  There are residential college programs for people with developmental disabilities that would probably be a good match for Megan.  They are expensive, though, and generally have quite a waiting list.

I'm glad that John had the experience of performing at the open mic night.  It's a nice hobby for him, but that's about it.  Unfortunately, the dog rescue place where he volunteered has closed.  It would be good if he could find another such place to volunteer or work.

Christina's parents seem to be getting it right.  They are giving her as much freedom as possible while giving her the support she needs.  She will do well.  Steven and Rachel, too.

Elena's issues go far beyond Down syndrome, but it looks like she is aware and is trying to accept herself.

Sean and Megan are like a lot of DS people I know (including my own).  Their ambitions and dreams far exceed their abilities and knowledge.  Both think they should be able to purchase homes in L.A. or Orange County, when real estate in those areas are beyond the reach of most people.  Neither of them understand money, which is a real problem for people who want to live on their own.  Group homes would be a better option.

Sorry for the long post!

• Love 10

What is a residential college and how is it different from a group home?

Some colleges and universities are now offering programs for young adults with developmental disabilities.  They are typically two year programs.  The students live in dorms and learn independent living skills.  They also sometimes take regular college classes, but the classes are not academically rigorous ones.  The hope is that, once completing the program, the students will be able to get jobs and live at least somewhat independently.  The competition to get into these programs is tough.  A program like this would be good for someone like Sean because the teachers and peers tend to reign in inappropriate behaviors.

• Love 2

Thanks camom for all the info.   Its great to some real information.  

I know you said you know some or all of the people on the show. Anymore insight you can add ?   If I am too nosey, just tell me.

I watched the episode again last night and I am so affected by Elena.    She seems so depressed at times, yet at other she is full of life.

Will the same participants be on next year?

Cherrio, I don't want to give out info that we didn't see on the show.  I can say that, although I don't always agree with their decisions, all of these parents love their kids!

I thought the people on here might enjoy this very short video about shattering stereotypes.  John is in it.  

Edited by camom
  • Love 4

I just love this gang....what a great finale....wow...and so happy it is being renewed

I admit - I have watched countless beotches weeping when they didn't get a rose from the Bach...I have watched an endless stream of whining "aufed" designers....and seen many a "pack your knives" and I am about as emotionless as Padma LOL

but this show? Awww....yup it makes me cry and laugh..and want to hug these sweet, emotionally smart individuals. I am in awe of their acceptance and help to each other....sweet Megan seems to have helped Elena a lot - it was good to see Elena's breakthrough. Doesn't know math? so what...most young Americans don't (heck many don't much about history geography,, what the Civil war was about, why we celebrate 4th of July etc). Big deal....that's what smart phones and calculators are for. Isn't there an "app for that"? IMHO why not an app to help adults with cognitive and learning disabilities?

Bill paying app? Shopping app? Yay

I also love John...how sweet he included his friends in open mike rather than just save spotlight for himself

Now Christina and Angel...OMG>>>> bring me the kleenex LOL. I loved how she went over and got down on her knee to HIM>>OMG...wow...what a lucky guy!

I really love them all and hope Megan and Kris return. I hope they get nicely paid...IMHO money is better spent on these kind loving giving people than on the usual dirtbags we see on these channels -yeah Khate and 8, Mammer June (blech)...Dooogers and the rest of the trash. Give this group of nice people a chance. I am happy to watch them. Give them a spinoff

Christina and Angel - Newlywed show

John - aspiring rap star with a bit of Animal Planet as he works with a vet/shelter

Rachel - single career girl show

Megan and Mom - fashionista breaking into fashion/Hollywood etc

Bring it on - season 2 then lets give them a spinoff

Edited by still hoping
  • Love 3

I'm glad that John had the experience of performing at the open mic night.  It's a nice hobby for him, but that's about it.

Right. Those are not rap skills. It's all heartwarming when his mom is like, "I wanted people to see the talent and stare for the right reasons," but there is NO talent there. You can't have rap without diction. His talent lies more in the humor direction if you ask me. With his total fearlessness, he could be a great clown. Rapper, no.

Elena's parents seemed warmer to me in this episode. Their missing time with Elena seemed genuine, and so did their concern when she cried at the dinner table.

It can be a shocker to confront the cast members' deficits after seeing them in social situations where their strengths are at the forefront. I was taken aback to see Angel struggling with the menu and Megan thinking that $300 would make a dent in LA housing costs. It's a reminder that, as Cristina's dad pointed out, their "age" can differ wildly from skill to skill.

• Love 1

I think certain issues can be a result of lack of experience not disability. Angel may have difficulty ordering in an expensive restaraunt but do fine at Olive Garden. Most parents don't share how much their bills are with their children so Megan would have no idea about housing costs.

Most parents don't share how much their bills are with their children so Megan would have no idea about housing costs.

But Megan couldn't COUNT money, when she sold at that craft fair or whatever.  That's something that most kids would be able to do by age 8 or thereabouts.

• Love 3

Were we ever told of Angel's living situation?  Does he live with parents or in a group home?

I'm just curious how/where him and Christina will live if they do ever get married.

g

I was curious about this as well. Neither seemed advanced (is that the rights word) to live on their own. If they got married, would they continue to live separately? Would they move into an assisted living facility? Both sets of parents seemed older and perhaps not up having an additional special needs adult in their care, so I would think the couple moving in would be an option.

I would like to see Christina have her white wedding though. It was beautiful the way she got down on one knee for Angel. Anyone that sensitive deserves to be a princess for a day.

I know that Elena's parents have a right to move but it struck me as being very cold having a staff person bring her to the house rather than doing it themselves. If I knew my daughter struggled with change I would make her as comfortable as possible even if it was for short visits. 

But with Elena, she seems to be more comfortable with the specialist who took her to the home, than she did with her mom. Given all the issues she and her mom have had with Mom accepting the DS, the support specialist probably was the best choice. 

Absolutely.  Just like people who don't have DS, there are differences in abilities and skills.  As the parent of an adult with DS, one thing that does bother me is that people with little ones will watch this show and think that their kids will grow up to have jobs (Steven & Rachel), get married (Christina), go to college (Megan), etc.  Some will, but not all.  And it is true that different people have different skills.  Some of my child's friends can't read much, while mine reads very well.  Some can cook, do their banking, etc. but some can't.  

But on the other hand, most parents see all those things for their kids, regardless of what they are told at birth, but life has other plans. I know my mom certainly didn't plan of my being 39 and unmarried, my sister who literally has a genius level IQ purposely getting pregnant at 16, or said sister seeing her 17 year old son academically struggle his entire life, some partially due to laziness, some not, to the point where he flunked 9th grade, then repeated it doing home school (which he then failed again) and dropping out of school at 16 and now being a 17 year old hustler who we all just wait to hear has been arrested and charged with something. I know it's killing my mom that I have MS and it's progressing to the point I can't step down off a curb without assistance and am looking into canes and a handicapped placard for my car to help with the whole curb thing. All any parent can do is just deal with the reality of their child's abilities as they are thrown at them. I don't know of any parent who got every hope and dream they had planned on at birth for their kid. Some of those plans turn out, some get transformed, and some just aren't obtainable. 

I loved the bike riding camp they showed. I've never heard of such a program before, but I love the concept. Did Steven get to ride his bike to work? They all took to the lessons pretty well and handled the falls awesomely. Hell, I filched when I saw some of them.

Elena seems to have gained the most from the show. It was like she was a different person from the first show to the last. I didn't realize she and Megan were so close and I can't even imagine how had it's been on both of them to be so far apart now. But in the grand tradition of any 20 something, I'm sure they are connected to their phones 24/7. Megan's platform might have been a hard one for Elena to hear, but it was good to see she was no longer shutting down when someone said DS. I liked seeing her in her drum class and was certain that's what she was going to do at the open mike show so color me shocked when she dropped those dance moves.

John's rap career seemed about on the same level as some of the singers who show up on American Idol auditions who are convinced they are a sure thing to win since their mom/teacher/church has TOLD them they could sing. I've sat thru enough junior high choir concerts listening to girls screech their way thru a solo while the audience cringed and stifled their giggles, wondering why the hell adults are so afraid to tell them the truth. It might be mean, but at some point, you have to be realistic. I will fully admit this sounds cruel, but when my oldest nephew was like 12, he told me he was going to be an artist when he grew up, he was certain he was uber talented. He wasn't, and wasn't even close. I looked at him and said while I loved him dearly, and was sure he could do a lot in his life, artist wasn't one of them. He was barely at stick people level, there's only so much classes can make up for no talent. My mom was all, you're so mean, and I was all, it's so mean to lie to him telling him he's awesome when a 5 year old could see he wasn't. He's 20 now and certainly wasn't scarred for life by it. I'm not saying John's parents should have taken the approach I did, but maybe directed him in a different way. 

• Love 2

Since we saw how limited Megan was with her life skills I think it would have been nice if they showed that for ALL of them. Elena lives in a group home so she probably has some higher skills but does she have issues with money?

Sean's(?) parents talked of him having his own place after they moved into a new place, but I'd like to know if that's even an attainable goal.  Because I want to feel good for these people when they reach their goals. But if it's not attainable then I don't want their parents leading them on with dreams that won't ever happen.

• Love 2