Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

On May 17, 2016 at 0:03 AM, heartsaperkin said:

Because I hear the yapping. Sad nice spring and all.

What was her name?

I just now understand this post. Amazing. Kudos. 

• Love 1

Grading on a scale because he is deaf. How come Marlee Matlin did not get that consideration. She was an Oscar winning actress, not some math teacher who can stand pretty for the camera. He won ANTM and took a prize, he was more than someone who appeared on that show.

Re the first point, I respectfully disagree. Nyle didn't make the judges give him those scores at gunpoint. Whatever scores Marlee Matlin didn't get isn't Nyle's fault. As far as I'm concerned, the only person to blame for the judges' actions are the judges.

• Love 5

Moving this from the Finale, Part 1 thread because it doesn't really fit there ...

5 hours ago, skyways said:

Tony Dovolani and Melissa did a cha cha to it in her first season.

She danced it really badly.

Waaaay back in season 2 Michael Buble performed the song on the show and Edyta and Alec danced to it.

I miss those days.

Tom tweeted about this the other day. He linked this video of him interviewing Mischa Barton when she was mine! It was totally cute and I love how Tom hasn't changed. Maybe his hair, but certainly not his sense of humor. Off topic a little bit, it shows why he's the perfect host for this show.

I was also watching Gilmore Girls the other day and Emily was watching competitive ballroom competitions. She brought up Shirley and Corky Ballas. Such a small, cute shoutout.

In honor of the newest cast list being revealed, I thought it'd be fun to create a "How haven't they ended up on DWTS already?" list.

Athletes (retired or otherwise)

Tim Tebow

Lindsey Vonn

Terrell Owens

Danica Patrick

Terry Bradshaw

Mike Tyson

One of the Force Sisters (Ashley or Courtney, both NHRA drag racers)

Kelly Slater or Laird Hamilton (Champion surfers)

Mike Piazza

Andy Roddick

Comedians

Carrot Top

Jeff Foxworthy

Gilbert Gottfried

Roseanne Barr

Models

Sara Jean Underwood

Abigail Ratchford

The mugshot model guy (google says....Jeremy Meeks)

Tyson Beckford

Chrissy Teigen (I feel like we might get her and John Legend both in S25 or S26 lol)

Musicians

Fred Durst

Weird Al Yankovic

Josh Groban

Michael Buble

JoJo

Fat Joe (All he'd have to do to win is lean back :-)

Justin Guarini

Laura Bell Bundy

Neal McCoy

Travis Barker (from Blink 182)

Jordin Sparks

Still working on who to included in my actors/actresses and my rando's/pop culture/internet/reality tv sections. Feel free to play along....

1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

In honor of the newest cast list being revealed, I thought it'd be fun to create a "How haven't they ended up on DWTS already?" list.

Tim Tebow

Lindsey Vonn

Terrell Owens

Danica Patrick

Terry Bradshaw

Mike Tyson

Mike Piazza

Andy Roddick

Comedians

Carrot Top

Jeff Foxworthy

Gilbert Gottfried

Roseanne Barr

Models

Sara Jean Underwood

Abigail Ratchford

Tyson Beckford

Chrissy Teigen (I feel like we might get her and John Legend both in S25 or S26 lol)

Musicians

Fred Durst

Weird Al Yankovic

Josh Groban

Michael Buble

JoJo

Justin Guarini

Laura Bell Bundy

Neal McCoy

Jordin Sparks

Still working on who to included in my actors/actresses and my rando's/pop culture/internet/reality tv sections. Feel free to play along....

For most of them, I'd say it's because the show has better taste than that (Roseanne?  Foxworthy?  CARROT TOP?  HELL to the NO!).

Well, John Legend might be "A-List" based on his critical success (and his creating the Oscar winning song for Selma. But Chrissy Teigen slums it up all over the place. On the Fab Life, On Lip Synch Battle, on the Esquire Show, The Getaway. He seems usually willing to play along....so if they went after her hard and she countered w/ "I'll do it, if John can be on too"....I think he'd be up for the silliness.

legaleagle53, this show just cast Ryan Lochte. They've already cast Jerry Springer, Bristol Palin, Andy Dick, and Paula Deen to name just a few. I think w/ DWTS....taste is always going to be subjective and will most often take a backseat to anyone who can generate buzz/drama/controversy.

As for Jeff Foxworthy.....he seems an odd one to single out. He's one of the most successful U.S. standup comics in history.....as well as being close friends and a frequent touring partner of Bill Engvall who ended up being one of the more pleasant surprises in DWTS history...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3
On September 2, 2016 at 0:53 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Tim Tebow

Lindsey Vonn

Terrell Owens

Danica Patrick

Terry Bradshaw

Mike Tyson

Mike Piazza

Andy Roddick

Comedians

Carrot Top

Jeff Foxworthy

Gilbert Gottfried

Roseanne Barr

Models

Sara Jean Underwood

Abigail Ratchford

Tyson Beckford

Musicians

Fred Durst

Weird Al Yankovic

Josh Groban

Michael Buble

JoJo

Justin Guarini

Laura Bell Bundy

Neal McCoy

Jordin Sparks

I thought they already had Terrell Owens, Mike Tyson, Gilbert Gottfried, Tyson Beckford & Danica Patrick in previous seasons; I could be wrong/thinking of different celeb reality shows. I'd love to see Foxworthy! I think Tim Tebow just signed, the end of this past week, with the minor league system of the NY Mets baseball team, which could put a crimp in his participation. As for Andy Roddick, his wife is Sports Illustrated swimsuit model/actress Brooklyn Decker--they may be another "package deal" for DWTS; they did Hollywood Game Night on the same show, but different teams, in the last year or so. As for Roseanne Barr she announced last year, or maybe in 2014, she's going blind due to macular degeneration; that could put a crimp in her participation, although it hasn't stopped others with physical disabilities in the past (deafness, dwarfism, amputees).

• Love 1

Mike Tyson, Gilbert Gottfried, Tyson Beckford, Danica Patrick and Terrell Owens have all never done been on the show.  You may be mistaking Terrell Owens with Chad Ochocinco and Danica McKeller was the one who did the show, not Danica Patrick. Terrell did do an interview last year where he said he would not be opposed to it. 

Terrell Owens does have DWTS connections: he did do the 2009 really show called The Superstars, which paired athletes and celebs together to do physical challenges to avoid elimination. He was paired with Joanna Krupa, who went on to be on DWTS.

Maks was also on the show, winning with skiier Kristi Leskinen. I always thought that was a little cheap, because I always thought that the argument could be made that Maks was just as much an athlete as she was, especially because the other celebs were people like Ali Landry, Paige Hemmis, and David Charvet (husband to DWTS alum Brooke Burke-Charvet).

Interesting to see so many male stars go out at the start of the season, a change from some of the earlier seasons that tended to favor them. 

I really thought Marilu would be better, but the people who predicted her memory would be a hindrance called it. My other predictions for the finals (Laurie and Calvin) are living up to my expectations.

I was talking with my mom about last night's show and it turns out that all this time, she's actually believed the stars who appear on DWTS were donating their pay for the show to charity!

Mom: "It's famous people on a sort of game show...I thought it was like Celebrity Family Feud or Jeopardy!" 

Me (after I stopped laughing): "You know they get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars..didn't you ever wonder why there are always so many has beens?" 

Bless...

• Love 1

This is the first season in a long time that Derek and his partner haven't been massively pimped - overpraised, minimally judged, overscored, etc.  So it's interesting getting small glimpses into him struggling (like any other pro).  I think if he started getting "ladies like the ones Tony has carefully mentored" (what a nice way you phrased that!), I doubt Derek would stick around or he'd look for some other role on the show.  Derek's a competitor through and through.  I don't think he has the patience for the Leesas and Chynnas, etc.  For him, if there's no chance of winning, why compete?  I don't believe he gives a rip about "the journey".**  Remember, before week 1, Marilu was believed to be a massive ringer with all her dance/choreographing/teaching experience plus her memory skills and being in fantastic shape.  IMO she was the one planned as Laurie's competition, not James, so TPTB could push a Val vs Derek duel.

** That's not a criticism, just his personality. Val is very similar. A competitor is driven to compete.

Moved from Results thread to continue convo: 

Unfortunately the show is ratings driven which drives the competitors to do more and more in terms of choreography.  I don't blame the show for pitting the young guys against each other, people love to watch competition that is what the show is about. Merely enjoying dance for dance sake is an afterthought.  Tony is competitive in dance, not so in choreography. So if the show measured dance fundamentals then Tony does his job well. When you see him with a competitor like Stacey Keibler for example, that lady had one of the best techniques in Samba and Jive the show has ever seen.  Unfortunately Tony never really got someone like Stacey again.  I would think that someone like Derek would have done other things choreography wise with Stacey and maybe we would not have seen her technique so brightly displayed.  I also feel for Artem, he had amazing dancer in Kara Toiton and his pure technique was beautifully rendered with her.  I could watch all their dances, but my favorites were their Viennese Waltz and their Rumba.  Just simply gorgeous hands and feet on Kara.  This is pure dance, and I miss it.     

• Love 1

Thing I just realized. Next week there's no results show, which means that they'll eliminate at the end of the show. To do that they'd have to use the votes from this week. 

Does that mean Cirq week essentially leads to a triple elimination? Three people will end up eliminated off those dances? 

My guess is they'll add the judges' scores from Monday night's dances to whatever votes were cast for the couple, after Cirque night. That kind of wonky scheduling is what gives rise to conspiracy theories because if you think about it, the producers would know who is most likely to go home based on the viewer votes alone so a high judges' score could save someone. For the record, I don't think they're doing that, just saying I can see how the conspiracy theories can run wild, based on the set up. 

I would think that someone like Derek would have done other things choreography wise with Stacey and maybe we would not have seen her technique so brightly displayed. 

YMMV but I think not only would her technique have been displayed, she probably would have won because her routines would have been more exciting. To this day most people are still baffled by Stacy and Tony's Freestyle where they simply redid a Saturday Night Fever dance with almost no energy and excitement and just a random lift thrown out in the end. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
2 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Thing I just realized. Next week there's no results show, which means that they'll eliminate at the end of the show. To do that they'd have to use the votes from this week. 

Does that mean Cirq week essentially leads to a triple elimination? Three people will end up eliminated off those dances? 

Or maybe that's why they did a Double Elimination this week so that next week they can skip an elimination to get back on track?

5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but I think not only would her technique have been displayed, she probably would have won because her routines would have been more exciting. To this day most people are still baffled by Stacy and Tony's Freestyle where they simply redid a Saturday Night Fever dance with almost no energy and excitement and just a random lift thrown out in the end. 

I kinda disagree on two fronts.  Stacey was wildly unpopular because she had dance experience. Back then the show was pretty prescriptive about who they thought was deserving of the mirrorball, which is why people like Drew and Emmitt the following season were huge favorites.  This was back in the day when Mario Lopez got scorned and mocked for having dance experience in season 3.  And secondly, Stacey was injured.  Yes the routine sucked, but nobody wants to really find out why, since she lost to Save A Horse, Ride a Cowboy, which was good, why? because it simulated bull riding or sex?  Clever but not great dancing.  A showstopper tho' . I think I am a fan more of Strictly since it is more about dance technique.  

Edited by RedFiat
3 hours ago, Dejana said:

Florence attended Monday night's show and appeared in Maureen's Brady Bunch-themed routine earlier this season.  Of course, she also competed in  Season 11. I think she's the first former DwtS (US) contestant to pass away. Sad news.

Everything I've read said Florence was at both Monday & Tuesday night's shows. And, my local morning news said she apparently had been hospitalized since Wednesday.

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Everything I've read said Florence was at both Monday & Tuesday night's shows. 

She was, and she looked as healthy as ever.  I think that's part of what makes the news of her passing feel like even more of a punch in the gut -- nobody saw it coming.

10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

She was, and she looked as healthy as ever.  I think that's part of what makes the news of her passing feel like even more of a punch in the gut -- nobody saw it coming.

Another thing I read/heard was that she hadn't been feeling well "for a few days" (presumably meaning before being hospitalized on Wednesday); but, again, apparently nobody expected her to end up dying as a result.

12 hours ago, jaylee-03031 said:

Mark is one of my favorite Pros with his talent and creative choreography.  I know he wasn't on the show last season due to being on Jersey Boys but why isn't he on this season? 

Unfortunately I think Mark has moved into the territory where he's moved on from the show and will only come back here and there for a season when he can fit it into his schedule, much like Derek, Cheryl, Karina and most of the other original pros have done. It's really a shame because he's the last to do it and I hate only having one or two of them on each season. 

13 hours ago, jaylee-03031 said:

Mark is one of my favorite Pros with his talent and creative choreography.  I know he wasn't on the show last season due to being on Jersey Boys but why isn't he on this season? 

DWTSGossip tweeted that Mark had expressed interest in coming back. I don't know if he's said anything personally about that. Cheryl had also expressed interest in returning this season on QVC and isn't here either.

I wonder if Mark not returning has anything to do with what partners were available. A few of the female stars have heights that would have allowed them to be macthed with pretty much anyone. I would think they would have chosen Mark over Keo, but maybe Mark would have chosen no one over Charo. I feel like in the past he would have gotten Simone no matter who she requested but there are new producers in charge.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:14 AM, RedFiat said:

Interesting. However I looked for Zendaya and Jennifer Grey.  Why aren't they on the chart?

If you're asking about the comparison groups, they aren't included because there are no young (around 16) or mid-aged (around 50) actresses on DWTS this season.

3 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I would think they would have chosen Mark over Keo, but maybe Mark would have chosen no one over Charo. I feel like in the past he would have gotten Simone no matter who she requested but there are new producers in charge.

I'm not sure they're still as invested in Keo long-term.  Charo is a memorable partner who may have a bit of entertainment-driven staying power, but she's not a contender.  With Brandon joining the troupe, they may be looking for other options.  Meanwhile, it's hard for me to see Sasha as a successor to Mark.  He seems more successor to Louis' role, imho.  I do think he bought Emma and himself some clout from TPTB with the on-air proposal.  I'm not cynical enough to think he intended to secure better partners for them both, but I am cynical enough to think TPTB wanted to keep the pair / "rivalry" in competition as long as possible.

49 minutes ago, RomanKat said:

I'm not sure they're still as invested in Keo long-term.  Charo is a memorable partner who may have a bit of entertainment-driven staying power, but she's not a contender.  With Brandon joining the troupe, they may be looking for other options.  Meanwhile, it's hard for me to see Sasha as a successor to Mark.  He seems more successor to Louis' role, imho.  I do think he bought Emma and himself some clout from TPTB with the on-air proposal.  I'm not cynical enough to think he intended to secure better partners for them both, but I am cynical enough to think TPTB wanted to keep the pair / "rivalry" in competition as long as possible.

I'm not convinced that they're invested in Keo, but he did make the cut this season when it sounds like there may have been other pros looking for a spot. It may be that Keo was at the top of a list of pros willing to take absolutely any assignment no matter how futile. 

Sasha is the successor to Mark insofar as Mark was the number 1 short guy, for a long time over Louis. Mark would frequently get the short ringers over Louis. Simone is so short that Mark, Sasha, or Louis would have been the obvious choices. This season Simone was also the best potential partner for a short male pro, although Normani and Nancy would have also been short enough to be matched with almost anyone too.

1 hour ago, RomanKat said:

Meanwhile, it's hard for me to see Sasha as a successor to Mark.  He seems more successor to Louis' role, imho.  

Yes, I think you just nailed it.  I don't think we've see a successor to Mark just yet.

19 hours ago, jaylee-03031 said:

Mark hasn't stated why he passed on participating this season.  He just spent 2 months in London on what seemed a combo honeymoon and working on some of BC's music writing/recording etc.   He also just bought another house (fixer-upper IMO) which is no small task to deal with.  I'm not convinced he's done with DWTS - could be he just needed a break.

14 hours ago, RomanKat said:

If you're asking about the comparison groups, they aren't included because there are no young (around 16) or mid-aged (around 50) actresses on DWTS this season.

Interesting. Zendaya is a recording artist and a model, actress who has had some dance training. Normani seems to be very similiar, and 20 isn't really out of the teen years since her success is based on that same teen pop demographic.  Nancy is not an actress, however like Jennifer Grey she did tv commercials and she's similar in age and grace to Jennifer Grey.  

I don't think any of the pros are so famous that they don't need DWTS. They may have projects, but they aren't that well known.  The show is still big enough that they would be smart to come back if asked. Julianne is the only one who has the credentials to say no. While I don't care much for her or her movies, she has definitely been on the big screen.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't think any of the pros are so famous that they don't need DWTS. They may have projects, but they aren't that well known.  The show is still big enough that they would be smart to come back if asked. Julianne is the only one who has the credentials to say no. While I don't care much for her or her movies, she has definitely been on the big screen.

I think Derek would also fall into that category with Julianne. Otherwise I agree with this. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I think Derek would also fall into that category with Julianne. Otherwise I agree with this. 

I think Derek will fall into that category if the JLo dance show is at least a mild success. That will bring him to another network and a potential new audience. I think as of right now that he probably isn't quite there. Julianne had movies, Grease, a relationship with Seacrest and a few other things that helped raise her Q score. Derek's outside projects have been smaller like his Radio City Music Hall show and I just think he's not as well known outside of the DWTS circle as we realize. The new show being an okay hit will be enough to buy him some real recognition. JLo is an actual A-lister and being associated with her will boost his career a great deal.

Speaking of JLo, why haven't they nabbed her for DWTS? She has been in the audience and worked with some of the pros. She seems to be a big fan. Sure she would be a ringer, but they have had plenty of those. She is an A-lister and would bring a big audience.

59 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Speaking of JLo, why haven't they nabbed her for DWTS? She has been in the audience and worked with some of the pros. She seems to be a big fan. Sure she would be a ringer, but they have had plenty of those. She is an A-lister and would bring a big audience.

JLo doesn't need this show to raise her profile.  I'm sure DWTS would love to have her, but she'd gain nothing from doing the show.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, OnceSane said:

JLo doesn't need this show to raise her profile.  I'm sure DWTS would love to have her, but she'd gain nothing from doing the show.

This. And the only reason J Lo was in the audience that one season is because Leah Remini, who is her best friend, was competing.

So next week is "Disney Week"   and so far:

1. Erika and Gleb are dancing a Rumba.  That a big ol eyeroll right there. 

2. Normani is dancing to Mulani - I'll Make A Man out of You... so I checked the ytube and this song is most likely Paso Doble

http://www.inquisitr.com/4136626/normani-koredei-fifth-harmony-5h-dwts-empowering-message-for-women/

Broadway World Reports- Erika is doing Viennese Waltz instead of the Rumba they said they were going to do: 

The nine remaining celebrities will transform into some of the most magical Disney characters and celebrate the magnificence of “Disney Night,” on “Dancing with the Stars,” live, MONDAY, APRIL 17 (8:00-10:01 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.

The Disney spirit shines as Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck and Daisy Duck, among other numerous Disney animated legends, adorn the ballroom. The show opens with a spectacular number, featuring our Master of Ceremonies, Alfonso Ribeiro (“Dancing with the Stars” season 19 winner), singing and dancing to an original song with the entire cast. Each couple will perform to songs from beloved Disney films, including the current Walt Disney Studios hit, “Beauty and the Beast,” as well as animation favorites “Pinocchio,” “Finding Dory,” “Frozen” and “Wreck-It Ralph.”

Additionally, Auli’i Cravalho will perform the Oscar®-nominated hit song “How Far I’ll Go” from her leading role in “Moana,” as Simone Biles and Sasha Farber dance a contemporary; David Ross and Lindsay Arnold dance a jive to the world tellevision debut of “Ride,” from Disney•Pixar’s “Cars 3” soundtrack, performed by ZZ Ward – “Cars 3” is in theaters in 3D on June 16 – and Donny Osmond (“Dancing with the Stars” season nine winner) will perform a song from “Mulan” as Normani Kordei and Val Chmerkovskiy dance a paso doblé. As an added treat, Witney Carson teams with Donald Duck for a special dance. Each celebrity will perform a contemporary, tango, Viennese waltz, foxtrot, jazz, paso doblé or jive.

At the end of the night, based on scores and votes from last Monday, one couple will be eliminated.

Each Couple Will Dance to the Following Songs (in alphabetical order):

Simone Biles & Sasha Farber – Contemporary – “How Far I’ll Go” performed by Auli‘i Cravalho, music & lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda, from “Moana” – Live Performance by Auli‘i Cravalho

Bonner Bolton & Sharna Burgess – Tango – “When Can I See You Again?” by Owl City from “Wreck-It Ralph”

Erika Jayne & Gleb Savchenko – Viennese Waltz – “Unforgettable” by Sia from “Finding Dory”

Rashad Jennings & Emma Slater – Foxtrot – “Evermore” by Josh Groban from Walt Disney Pictures’ “Beauty and the Beast”

Nancy Kerrigan & Artem Chigvintsev – Jazz – “That’s How You Know” by Amy Adams from “Enchanted”

Normani Kordei & Valentin Chmerkovskiy – Paso Doblé – “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” by Donny Osmond from “Mulan” – Live Performance by Donny Osmond

Heather Morris & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – Jazz – “For the First Time in Forever” by Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell, music & lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, from “Frozen”

David Ross & Lindsay Arnold – Jive – “Ride” by ZZ Ward from “Cars 3” – Live Performance by ZZ Ward

Nick Viall & Peta Murgatroyd – Jazz – “I’ve Got No Strings” as sung by Dickie Jones from “Pinocchio”

Hosted by two-time Emmy-winning host Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews, “Dancing with the Stars” is the hit series in which celebrities perform choreographed dance routines that are judged by a panel of renowned ballroom experts, including head judge, Len Goodman, dancers/choreographers Bruno Tonioli, Carrie Ann Inaba and Julianne Hough.

For week five, viewers may cast their votes for their favorite couples via phone during and up to 60 minutes after the end of the “Dancing with the Stars” broadcast in each time zone. Online voting at ABC.com at http://dwtsvote.abc.go.com/ and on Facebook at http://bit.ly/2cdE4PL is open for 24 hours, beginning from the start of each episode on the East Coast at 8:00 p.m. EDT/5:00 p.m. PDT and closing at 8:00 p.m. EDT/5:00 p.m. PDT on Tuesday evenings.

“Dancing with the Stars” is produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Ashley Edens-Shaffer and Joe Sungkur are executive producers. Phil Heyes directs. “Dancing with the Stars” is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format, with 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-PG, L parental guideline.

Well dance fans this is a big ol set up for Nancy to get the boot next week.  She is left out of the marquee dances .  She has to dance against a pro Jazz choreographer , so It's gonna be Nancy or Nick after Erika's gone.

Edited by RedFiat