Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Kate McKinnon is on the cover of the new Vanity Fair.

Heather at GoFugYourself.com, who used to write recaps for TWOP, described said cover as "Sexy Lady Clown Who Is Miserable At The Lingerie Circus."

kate-mckinnon-1117-cover-1506621753-640x

• Love 2
On 10/13/2017 at 10:29 AM, DXD526 said:

How can they use the name of a business, and its jingle, without the business's permission? Doesn't that sketch qualify as slander? 

If they slightly tweaked the jingle in any kind of way -- likely not one discernable by someone who isn't a professional musician -- it isn't legally actionable because it is parody or satire (this is how artists like Willam Belli and Weird Al don't get sued). I'm not familiar enough with the jingle or musical nuances to know if they did this, though.

As posted above, Safelite might have been better off saying nothing. It's very difficult to sue for slander/libel in the U.S. because you have to prove both malicious content and loss in damages. 

• Love 1

Taran was also on the most recent live episode of How Did This Get Made and let it drop that during the Russell Crowe episode, Russell kept "suggesting" that the King Henry sketch end with him making a cunnilingus joke to Aidy Bryant. Taran said literally everyone shot him [Russell] down, but he still tried to get it in anyway, and that if you watch the sketch again, you can see Aidy bolt away from Russell to prevent him from making whatever joke it was.

So, um, guessing he won't be back to host any time soon.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saoirse said:

Yes, it was announced a couple weeks ago, I think?

OIC, its referenced in the Oral History story.  Followed by SNL Halloween clips. I think the YouTube vid might be new. 

Edited by JZL

It surprises me too, because previously, Colin said one of the reasons that he wanted to step down from Head Writer was because managing the other writers in addition to doing WU was becoming a burden. Maybe now that WU is running more smoothly, he felt like he could go back? At least with him, you have someone who’s actually done the job before - I always thought he got unfairly blamed for a lot after Seth left the head writing job when I think more of the blame was on Rob Klein. 

Che is an interesting choice though. I do know he writes a decent amount of sketches though, so maybe this is just an extension of that. 

15 hours ago, vb68 said:

Che and Jost named Co-Head Writers.

That's a surprise.  The political sketches this season so far have been lacking. Maybe this is an attempt to fix that?

Two female writers, Fran Gillespie and Sudi Green, have also been promoted to "writing supervisors" (which is what Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider were before they became head writers).  Both are relatively new to writing for the show, having only been at SNL since 2015. 

Green was the woman who stood up to ask a question in James Franco's monologue. I believe she was one of the co-writers of "Welcome to Hell", so her writing definitely seems to be in line with the sort of stuff Kelly & Schneider were doing when they were on the show. 

• Love 2

I guess we'll see how this plays out? I'm not looking forward to Michael's, uh, inability to grasp nuance and gray areas permeating the show, especially as it's currently in the midst of not knowing what to say about a lot of things. His pretaped Update bit this past week was weak sauce. There's plenty of humor to be mined from white feminism but because he doesn't seem to understand any side of any argument that humans have ever had, it was just...him at brunch.

• Love 4
On 1/13/2018 at 0:23 AM, JZL said:

I like her, but has Jessica Chastain ever been funny in anything?  (Has Will Ferrell?)

I just checked her IMDB page. As helenamonster suggested, The Help has comedic elements to it, but that's the closest she's come to acting in a comedy, other than VO work in a Madagascar toon. 

I've seen her on talk shows, and she was not enjoyable. I do, however, like her acting, so I'm trying to be hopeful.

8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I just checked her IMDB page. As helenamonster suggested, The Help has comedic elements to it, but that's the closest she's come to acting in a comedy, other than VO work in a Madagascar toon. 

I've seen her on talk shows, and she was not enjoyable. I do, however, like her acting, so I'm trying to be hopeful.

Sam Rockwell is not known for his comedic prowess, but I thought he did well.  Sometimes dramatic actors pleasantly surprise.  It's probably very hard to get to that level without having done some significant comedy somewhere along the way. 

And . . . now that Rockwell has hosted, does that mean we can't have Frances McDormand, too?  I reckon she'd be awesome. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, vb68 said:

There is a show Feb. 3. The host is Natalie Portman, and Dua Lipa is the musical guest.

Wonder if Natalie "raps" again?

Melissa does a great impression of her which she hasn't been able to break out on the show yet. I hope this is the opportunity by doing it right in front of the real person!

Edited by VCRTracking
On 1/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, JZL said:

Sam Rockwell is not known for his comedic prowess, but I thought he did well.  Sometimes dramatic actors pleasantly surprise.  It's probably very hard to get to that level without having done some significant comedy somewhere along the way.

I don't think he's done much comedy, but he was hilarious in Galaxy Quest.

• Love 3

I maybe need to watch that one again because I don't remember him or his character, but he would have been a total unknown then.  Maybe I didn't watch it all the way through.  Tim Allen usually sucks, imho, but this was an ensemble.

BTW, Three Billboards finally came to my (Missouri) town.  Very good and Rockwell deserves the awards he's getting.

Edited by JZL
Movie review
2 hours ago, JZL said:

I maybe need to watch that one again because I don't remember him or his character, but he would have been a total unknown then. 

He was "Guy," and always expecting to be the first to die. :D

• Love 1
On 2/8/2018 at 7:17 PM, peeayebee said:

He was "Guy," and always expecting to be the first to die. :D

'IS THERE AIR?! YOU DON'T KNOW!!"

Former cast member Jay Pharoah on Kimmel doing his impressions. The first one is of ex-SNL writer John Mulaney and it's awesome. I wish he could have found a way to do it on the show!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Beyond excited for Sterling K Brown. 

Same! And it's about damn time!

10 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

and March 17 is Bill Hader with musical guest Arcade Fire. 

Is it too early to start a Bill Hader as Guest Actor Emmy Watch?

If anybody ever deserved an Emmy for SNL...

8 hours ago, AriAu said:

but hope we get Jay Pharoah back to do cross-eyed Shaq.

For some reason Jay made sure to burn some bridges on his way out the door, so I don't see that happening anytime soon unfortunately.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
Spoiler

If there's a This Is Us sketch involving a funeral for a Crock-Pot, I wouldn't be surprised.

As the one who first suggested that Sterling K. Brown host, I'm thrilled, to say the least. Given my track record of picking hosts, I would like to add Idris Elba, Issa Rae & Tracee Ellis Ross to the list.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I really enjoy the YouTube shorts that SNL puts up under the “Creating SNL” subheading.  Here’s one with the Foo Fighters, and Dave Grohl is so epic.  If you’re a rock fan and an SNLfan, this is 5 minutes of your life well-spent.

That Foo Fighters clip was awesome.

Is the emphasis on the 'Foo' or on the 'Fighters' ?   Never change Christopher Walken.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:20 AM, Peace 47 said:

I really enjoy the YouTube shorts that SNL puts up under the “Creating SNL” subheading.  Here’s one with the Foo Fighters, and Dave Grohl is so epic.  If you’re a rock fan and an SNLfan, this is 5 minutes of your life well-spent.

Wow, thanks for posting that!  I'd forgotten how many times they've appeared on SNL.  Helicoptering to and from their NJ concert so that they could do SNL with Mick Jagger was insane.

• Love 1