Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, vb68 said:

These are going to be SNL's submissions for this year's Emmys-- ( Source)

Oh, those are just for series and actor categories. I'd like to see "Welcome to Hell" get a nomination for best original music/song.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, vb68 said:

Comedy Supporting Actor – Luke Null

I get that they just submit the entire cast for consideration, but I did more on the show this year than Luke Null did.

I echo your thoughts about Tiffany Haddish. Her star is on the rise in huge part thanks to her hosting stint, she's a hot property right now and could have taken the Emmy in a walk. Tina seems like an automatic thing (her episode wasn't strong but name recognition goes a long way) but Saoirse is a real headscratcher.

• Love 10
On 5/25/2018 at 3:14 PM, vb68 said:

And finally, Fred? Really?  Why?  

/Rant over

I've long assumed that Fred Armisen is either one of the nicest guys in show business or he has tapes of Lorne being peed on by Russian hookers. There is no other explanation that makes sense.

• Love 4

(blinks) They didn't submit Haddish?!  No love for Boo Boo Jeffries?!?! 

No show.  NO.  There's a reason I was excited she presented at the Oscars wearing the McQueen dress.  

• Love 6

I like Fred Armisen and think he's funny. For me, his humor is from the character creation. If you have watched Portlandia, you've have seen all the different characters he can do. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll therefore find him funny, but for me a good character can be funny in itself.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I've long assumed that Fred Armisen is either one of the nicest guys in show business 

Or does a heck of a good impression of one, according to ex-wife Elisabeth Moss.  That said, I thought his bits on SNL last week were pretty good.

I'm also surprised they didn't submit Sterling K. Brown's episode. He was a great host and his episode was much better overall than Chadwick Boseman's (which pretty much had one good sketch, the T'challa on Black Jeopardy sketch). Also, Brown is beloved by the Emmys, he's won a ton of them.

• Love 1

I’m surprised they didn’t submit Sterling either, but I bet he’s submitting his guest spot in Brooklyn Nine Nine instead (which was a stronger comedy role). 

Submitting Saorise over Tiffany Haddish is legit baffling to me. Very strange choice. 

• Love 4
On 5/29/2018 at 8:47 AM, Inquisitionist said:

Or does a heck of a good impression of one, according to ex-wife Elisabeth Moss.  That said, I thought his bits on SNL last week were pretty good.

But even if the bit was good, it was pretty slight for any type of Emmy recognition IMO. I just don't think he had enough to do. 

That still doesn't explain why Tiffany Haddish wasn't submitted. If someone saw her name in a comedy category, that would be a no-brainer box to check even if they hadn't seen the episode. But if I was an Emmy voter and I saw Saoirse Ronan submitted in the Guest Actress Comedy category I'd just be like wahhh???, check off Tina Fey, and move on to the next one.

• Love 4

I guess it's possible that a condition of Saoirse Ronan agreeing to host was that she would be submitted for Emmy consideration.  I can see that happening with bigger names who have more leverage. But I don't think she's at that level yet (I could be wrong, though.) And that would also imply that they really wanted her to host badly, which  I also have trouble buying.

And none of that explains Tiffany Haddish.   BTW I did read elsewhere that her agent would be submitting her name on their own. So hopefully she does get a nomination. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I should congratulate them but all I can think is "Oh children...no." 

Yeah, if they had been dating at least a year my reaction would've been "Oh good for them." but just three weeks?

image.png.f39763a0fa184dbca083ab08b93356b7.png

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I should congratulate them but all I can think is "Oh children...no." 

Same. I just hope he knows what he's doing and has a good support system. With all of his issues, I worry about him.

On the lighter side of it, I can totally see him getting another dig in at the Staten Island newspaper saying something like," How do you like me now?!!"

• Love 1
(edited)

Yay for Kenan and Aidy getting first time nominations.

Guest Actors nominated (i.e. Hosts): Bill Hader, Donald Glover, Tina Fey, and Tiffany Haddish.

Thrilled that Tiffany is included because the show did not submit her.

21 nominations in total. It's the second biggest haul for a show this year, behind only Game of Thrones with 22 noms.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7

I wonder if Haddish being nominated means that she might return to host the show again as early as next season. I could even see her hosting the season premiere if she wins in her category. She has 2 upcoming movies in the fall to promote ("Night School" and "Nobody's Fool"). 

I remember being surprised when Chris Hemsworth hosted in back-to-back seasons in S40 and S41, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

• Love 2

OUTSTANDING ORIGINAL MUSIC AND LYRICS - 2018
· A Christmas Story Live! "Song Title: In The Market For A Miracle" FOX Benj Pasek, Music & Lyrics by Justin Paul, Music & Lyrics by
· Big Mouth "Am I Gay? / Song Title: Totally Gay" Netflix Mark Rivers, Music & Lyrics by
· If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast "Song Title: Just Getting Started" HBO Alan Bergman, Lyrics by Marilyn Bergman, Lyrics by Dave Grusin, Music by
· Saturday Night Live "Host: Chance The Rapper / Song Title: Come Back Barack" NBC Eli Brueggemann, Music by
· Steve Martin & Martin Short: An Evening You Will Forget For The Rest Of Your Life "Song Title: The Buddy Song" Netflix Steve Martin, Music & Lyrics by
· The Good Fight "Day 450 / Song Title: High Crimes And Misdemeanors" CBS (CBS All Access) Jonathan Coulton, Music & Lyrics by

This was my second choice for a music and lyrics nomination, after "Welcome to Hell".

• Love 2
9 hours ago, vb68 said:

Guest Actors nominated (i.e. Hosts): Bill Hader, Donald Glover, Tina Fey, and Tiffany Haddish.

Thrilled that Tiffany is included because the show did not submit her.

Glad that Emmy voters have the sense that the NBC suits apparently do not.

It's a shame the guest actor categories are never part of the broadcast--I would've loved to see her win and wear The Dress to accept.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

It's a shame the guest actor categories are never part of the broadcast--I would've loved to see her win and wear The Dress to accept.

Ha! My first thought about her nomination - "she's getting another chance to wear that dress!"

• Love 4
On 7/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Did 'Welcome to Hell' not get nominated? I absolutely love that one. 

Yeah, I just realized that the bit about the cat is what's been earworming me for the last couple of weeks. That song is incredibly catchy.

• Love 1

This is from the spring, but I never saw it then and it doesn't look like it was ever posted here: Tan France from Queer Eye gives a mini clothing makeover to Pete Davidson, with a cameo from Heidi Gardner. I wish the clothing choices stuck - there's a gorgeous green jacket that looks AMAZING on him - but based on what he just wore to the VMAs...not so much. A funny four minutes. (And I think given timing the girlfriend Pete talks about is not the same person that he's engaged to now. So there's that.)

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 1

This is the only thread I could think of for this. . .

I wish they'd re-aired the John McCain episode last night. Politicians ability to ridicule themselves and their colleagues has always been one of the best things about this show. Not to mention the surprising amount of comedic talent these people have.

• Love 4
On 8/26/2018 at 10:11 AM, Camille said:

This is the only thread I could think of for this. . .

I wish they'd re-aired the John McCain episode last night. Politicians ability to ridicule themselves and their colleagues has always been one of the best things about this show. Not to mention the surprising amount of comedic talent these people have.

They re-aired it on 09/01, right? I just remember hearing that they would.

Thrilled for Tiffany! Let's not forget that the show inexplicably didn't even submit her like a bunch of dummies. She had to put her name in herself.

Seriously?! I knew they didn't put her name in but I didn't realize until now that she went ahead and did it on her own. SNL shouldn't even be able to count this as one for the show (even though obviously, they can and they will). She won this award in spite of them, not because of them.

Boo Boo Jeffries has an Emmy, y'all!

• Love 6
22 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

SNL shouldn't even be able to count this as one for the show (even though obviously, they can and they will).

Yep, it was up on their instagram maybe an hour after she won as if THEY had something to do with it.

• Love 2

So I decided to look at the Emmy rules on submitting entries.  I wanted to see if there was a limit on the number of people a show can enter for particular categories.   From the looks of it, it is the individual performer's job to submit their entries, not the shows'.  Shows will do mass submissions of their performers, but it still counted as entered by the individual. I would not be surprised if they went to clear the entry with Tiffany in April, and found out her management had already entered her episode.  Frankly that makes much more sense than them not submitting one of their best performers from last season.

What I find interesting now though is Tina Fey's and Donald Glover's entries.  You had to have your entry in by April 27th, even if your episode wasn't completed yet. So they were preemptivly submitted.