Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

On 12/27/2018 at 9:47 AM, Inquisitionist said:

The only sketches I even remember from that list are the first two.  SNL's 2018 kinda sucked, IMO.

Yeah, it's probably not a good sign that the majority of that list is from last season. I will definitely agree that Adam Driver's oil baron and Beck and Kyle's fighting kids belong on there, but kinda mystified by their inclusion of that Steve Carell Thanksgiving sketch (which is one in a long line of very similar sketches that almost always seem to involve Cecily singing in them). 

Rachel Brosnahan Set To Host ‘SNL’, Fresh Off Globes Win For ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’

Not a bad couple of days for Rachel Brosnahan. Fresh off her repeat Golden Globes win for Best Actress in a Comedy, the star of Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has been set to host the new year’s first new Saturday Night Live episode, on January 19. It will be the Studio 8H SNL debut for the actress.

Multiple Grammy nominee Greta Van Fleet with be the musical guest, also marking their first appearance on the NBC late-night staple created by Lorne Michaels and produced by his Broadway Video.

Hmm, interesting. They have been avoiding TV Stars for a few years now. Unless they also had a movie to promote or were an alum. Looks like they are easing up on that.

She is related through marriage to David Spade. Hope he shows up.

Edited by vb68

It's funny that this is the second time Cecily has impersonated someone and then they've hosted the very next episode right after that.

(It happened in Season 42 when she played Lin-Manuel Miranda in a "Celebrity Family Feud" sketch and then Miranda hosted the next episode)

• Love 2
On 1/8/2019 at 11:38 AM, vb68 said:

Hmm, interesting. They have been avoiding TV Stars for a few years now. Unless they also had a movie to promote or were an alum. Looks like they are easing up on that.

She is related through marriage to David Spade. Hope he shows up.

Sterling K. Brown from This Is Us hosted last year. 

After watching this years Golden Globes, I would love to see Sandra Oh, Regina King, Rami Malek, Olivia Colman or Mahershalala Ali host. 

25 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Sterling K. Brown from This Is Us hosted last year. 

After watching this years Golden Globes, I would love to see Sandra Oh, Regina King, Rami Malek, Olivia Colman or Mahershalala Ali host. 

I'd give odds that Remi Malick hosts.  TBH, I was surprised that Oh hosted the Golden Globes. 

I know I'm a resident old guy here, but Halsey really has a high enough profile to host?

I'm thinking no, she really doesn't.  Granted I've never listened to any of her music and couldn't pick her out of a lineup.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

Could it be they don't have a host yet?

I remember a few years back they announced who would be hosting (no I can't remember who it was but let's just say Matthew McConaughey) but no musical guest.  And I thought to myself hmmm does Matthew McConaughey sing now? And then the week of the show a musical guest was named.

So maybe it's the same thing? Or maybe not. 

11 hours ago, vb68 said:

I know I'm a resident old guy here, but Halsey really has a high enough profile to host?

I'm thinking no, she really doesn't.  Granted I've never listened to any of her music and couldn't pick her out of a lineup.

I'm just mad because it's looking less and less likely that we'll get the Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga episode that for a while seemed like a shoo-in, but we'll get the girl who played herself for 30 seconds in A Star is Born to helm the whole show.

The quality of her music is obviously in the ear of the beholder (she's very big in the "suburban teenage white girls going through their faux deep phase" demographic) but I've seen nothing from her that shows she would be a good or even logical choice to host--any time I've seen her in interviews or whatever she's actually seemed extremely humorless. At least Ariana Grande had an acting career in comedy to pull from.

11 hours ago, callmebetty said:

Could it be they don't have a host yet?

I remember a few years back they announced who would be hosting (no I can't remember who it was but let's just say Matthew McConaughey) but no musical guest.  And I thought to myself hmmm does Matthew McConaughey sing now? And then the week of the show a musical guest was named.

So maybe it's the same thing? Or maybe not. 

They said host and musical guest when they announced on the show and also later on their socials. So hold onto your butts, everybody.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, helenamonster said:

The quality of her music is obviously in the ear of the beholder (she's very big in the "suburban teenage white girls going through their faux deep phase" demographic) but I've seen nothing from her that shows she would be a good or even logical choice to host--any time I've seen her in interviews or whatever she's actually seemed extremely humorless. At least Ariana Grande had an acting career in comedy to pull from.

Yeah, generally when they have a host/MG combo the performer usually has some kind of acting background- Miley, Taylor Swift, Timberlake, Drake, etc.

I wasn't aware that Halsey wanted to try and "act". I can certainly understand them getting her to host from an attracting-a-young-audience viewpoint, but just don't know that comedy is necessarily her thing.

Don Cheadle is set to host on Feb.16.

Man, my host predicting skills are off this season. He wasn't on my radar at all.  (Like Helenamonster, I've been waiting on Bradley Cooper and Gaga, but it doesn't seem like that will happen now.) That said, he'll probably be pretty good.

* A little bit of trivia: The first time I ever saw Don Cheadle, he was co-starring on the reboot of the Golden Girls called The Golden Palace

• Love 5

Really excited for Don Cheadle! Has he ever hosted before? I feel like this show is totally in his wheelhouse.

I can't even remember the first thing I saw him in, he's been such a pervasive part of my pop culture life. But I am always delighted when he shows up.

11 hours ago, vb68 said:

Man, my host predicting skills are off this season.

I think everybody's has. This has been a weird host season. Also I think we've discussed this in this thread before, but it's so rare to get a host who is only promoting a TV show (I assume Don Cheadle is here to promote Black Monday; he doesn't have a movie coming out soon, does he?) that I understand when people don't have a TV actor in their pool.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

This has been a weird host season. Also I think we've discussed this in this thread before, but it's so rare to get a host who is only promoting a TV show (I assume Don Cheadle is here to promote Black Monday; he doesn't have a movie coming out soon, does he?) 

Well, Avengers: Endgame (if 3 months from now counts as "soon".)

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, vb68 said:

Don Cheadle is set to host on Feb.16.

Man, my host predicting skills are off this season. He wasn't on my radar at all.  (Like Helenamonster, I've been waiting on Bradley Cooper and Gaga, but it doesn't seem like that will happen now.) That said, he'll probably be pretty good.

* A little bit of trivia: The first time I ever saw Don Cheadle, he was co-starring on the reboot of the Golden Girls called The Golden Palace

OMG - I love Don Cheadle!  And to make it even better, I looooooove Gary Clark Jr!!!!  I can't wait for this show!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, vb68 said:

On a different note, this is way too funny, especially some of the responses.  I can imagine "I'm Eric!" having the last word on that.

What I find most hilarious about this is that SNL aren't just arbitrary letters, they stand for something. So really and truly what does he think S&L stands for?

And you can't blame this on autocorrect, you have to deliberately hit that ampersand.

"Live from New York, it's Saturday!" -- new intro

• Love 2

* A little bit of trivia: The first time I ever saw Don Cheadle, he was co-starring on the reboot of the Golden Girls called The Golden Palace. 

As a GG fan, I watched that show and remember him on it. They tried making him kind of a beefcake character. I remember an episode where he wore teeny, tiny little swim trunks and nothing else. Maybe SNL will be good enough to dig that up for us!

• Love 2

Hosts for April.  Both look good.

Well I don't know if Kit Harrington will be a great host or particularly funny, but he seems like a big get. The ratings will probably go way up with him, and unlike several hosts this season, I see why he's hosting. And Emma Stone is always a solid host. I always enjoy her, and I'm happy she's getting close to being a Five Timer. She deserves it.

And speaking as someone who cares less and less about the musical guests as time goes on, Sara Bareilles sounds pretty damn good. She was a real highlight on the live broadcast of "Jesus Christ Superstar", singing maybe the best version of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" that I've heard. I hope her new songs are good.

• Love 3

After watching all four, those sketches aren't plagiarized. In both cases, the SNL sketch takes a basic concept that's been around forever (dog watches you have sex, sex with pumpkins) and does something different than the original. It's like complaining that another standup stole your airline food joke. 

• Love 3

I've always thought that SNL was a fairly easy target for those kind of charges just because of its prominence. Of course that's my idea on national television! 

Edited by vb68

My favorite part is

their YouTube channel, which boasts more than 3,000 subscribers

I like the implication that that is even remotely impressive in 2019.

50 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I've always thought that SNL was a fairly easy target for those kind of charges just because of its prominence. Of course that's my idea on national television! 

CaKLIGYWIAAS_yP.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 3/13/2019 at 3:52 PM, vb68 said:

And speaking as someone who cares less and less about the musical guests as time goes on, Sara Bareilles sounds pretty damn good. She was a real highlight on the live broadcast of "Jesus Christ Superstar", singing maybe the best version of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" that I've heard. I hope her new songs are good.

I'm so excited for Sara Bareilles. This is the first time in a long time I'm actually excited about the musical act on SNL and actually know the music. I adore her. If anyone is a fan of hers, you need to find a way to see Waitress, the musical (or at least listen to the soundtrack), which she wrote the music & lyrics for. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Wow that's a huge table read!

I'm always amazed at the quick turnaround for makeup and wigs. The makeup stamp for the Cleopatra sketch was cool - when I saw it on the show, I thought they had maybe done the makeup and then covered it with thin plastic(or whatever) and then they peeled it off to reveal the full makeup underneath.

• Love 1

You'd need Homer Simpson's makeup shotgun to get it on any faster than that!

MVFrostMyPie, I'm right there with you about Sara Bareilles. For once I'll be sitting rapt through the musical performances instead of wandering off to get a snack or something.

• Love 2

Astronaut Anne McClain talks about the WU piece on her in the last episode.

(she doesn't say much, just that they all thought it was funny - the article is about her reaction to all the reactions she's received)

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/apr/01/spokane-astronaut-anne-mcclain-addresses-spacesuit/

Alec Baldwin questions his future as Trump.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/alec-baldwin-snl-trump-impression-future-1202055136/

• Love 1

Adam Sandler/Shawn Mendes on May 4th, if the tweet doesn't show up.

There was a tweet out a week or so ago that had this one, along with Emma Thompson hosting the next week and DJ Khalid as the musical guest for the week after (finale I assume). So if this one was right maybe those are as well...

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow! That's cool! I never expected him to host!

I wonder if it turns into a quasi-reunion with Spade, Rob Schneider, maybe Chris Rock showing up to?

I bet he sings his tribute to Farley.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, helenamonster said:

I can appreciate the special meaning behind him hosting (since he never has) but I cannot get myself excited about anything Adam Sandler-related in the year of our lord 2019.

I don't dislike him (I used to when his work got into more and more homophobic stuff) but I don't really have much of an opinion of him. I suppose it showed me what a bubble I'm in as I was surprised at the big positive response to the news. I did notice that some of his fans said they weren't going to be watching because of how they see SNL's political views. I guess others will still tune in though.