Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E13: Finals Night

• Start Topic

From Broadway World:

After weeks of competitive dancing, the final four couples advance to the FINALS of "Dancing with the Stars" this MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET). Alek Skarlatos and LINDSAY Arnold, Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough, Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson, and Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess have one last night of competitive dancing, fighting to win the judges' and America's votes to be crowned the "Dancing with the Stars" champion on TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 24 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

On Monday, November 23 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET), the finalists will compete in two rounds of dance. In the first round, one judge will help each couple choose the creative elements of each dance, which is a re-do to a new song. Carrie Ann Inaba will work alongside Linsday and Alek, as well as Bindi and Derek. Julianne Hough is with Nick and Sharna, and Bruno Tonioli is with Carlos and Witney.

In the second round, in one of the biggest competitive dances of the season, the couples take on a freestyle dance featuring special effects, additional dancers and unexpected surprises. There will be special performances from Meghan Trainor, singing "Like I'm Gonna Lose You," and Who Is Fancy, Ariana Grande and Meghan Trainor performing "Boys Like You." At the end of the night, the couple with the lowest combined viewer and judge votes from the previous two weeks will be eliminated.

Opener:  Bindi says tonight will change her life forever? I guess she's expecting to win.

I've become weary of this season. Glad it's just about over.  Not even going to bother critiquing the dances.  I expect a 10-fest anyways.

If tonight's elimination were based on last weeks scores, Bindi would be even with Carlos and Nick would be 2.6% behind them and 1.3% behind Alek.
Combining week 9+10 scores, Bindi is waaaay ahead with Carlos 2.0% behind her, Nick 2.5% behind her and Alek 2.4% behind her.  They didn't help Nick much but they sure did help Bindi.

Tough judges choice for Alek. Rumba is always tough for the guys and they know he can't move his hips. Either he's going home tonight or they're scoring him for 3rd place.

A whole lot of hyperbole tonight - Nick did great, but judges reaaalllly loved that jive

Carlos thinks he has to dance as good as the pros? Doesn't he realize they dance down to his level?  He's bringing in Alexa, Paula and Hays? Not sure about this strategy.  I guess that was a football rumble?  I don't get how that shows his + Witney's connection. Oh well, whatev!

Alek obstacle course dance. Intriguing idea. I liked it, I understood it. Perfect for him.  I really hope Lindsay gets a spot as competing pro again next season.

Interesting that they changed the order for the freestyle. I was expecting Nick 3rd and Bindi 4th.

Bindi - cool spin off of Derek's shoulders. Alot of nice lifts. Very emotional (Julianne wiping away non-existant tears?)  Sorry but it was a beautiful dance but the crying at the end seemed a little contrived.  And Derek surprised Bindi at the end with the picture of her Dad? Clearly playing on emotions.

Nick - he was truly in his element in that freestyle. He had a large segment where he was dancing on his own and I actually lost track of where Sharna went. It was a fun freestyle

Edited by Uke
  • Love 4

No shortage of 10s tonight. Makes things kind of boring.

Carlos’s freestyle was kinda boring comparatively, but I liked the idea of using previous contestants.

I really liked Lindsay’s concept for their dance. Was it freestyle worthy? Eh … I don’t know, but I liked that it was different.

Can we stop with the Steve Erwin mentions? For that alone I’m glad this season is almost over. How many weeks is that Bindi’s “theme”? I get it, Steve Erwin was a pop culture icon and died a tragic death and left behind a young family that will never be able to fill that hole. But geez, I don’t think anyone has milked their tragic story as much as TPTB have milked having an Erwin on the show. I’m so tired of it and I had nothing against the guy or his family and if I have to see Bindi cry one more time I might scream. This was supposed to be her journey and her competition, not a giant memorial to her dad. I can’t decide what is worse, the crying over memories of her dad or the over the top gratitude and thankfulness and sunshine and rainbows. I want to like her but I just can’t and I find myself growing more annoyed with her (or at least the way TPTB have decided to portray her) week after week. /rant

I feel like more than anyone else’s freestyle, Sharna made Nick’s freestyle about him. Even though he was backed by a bunch of the troupe and Val and Peta and whoever else, that was his dance. I’m a little sad that there were no boy band cameos, but it made me smile just like I did when I was in middle school and saw Nick in BSB’s Black and Blue tour.

Alexa looked so sad that there won’t be a mirror ball trophy in the PenaVega house. But I can’t feel bad for the couples that get eliminated the night before the show is over. He’ll dance tomorrow, people will see him, he’s potentially jump started his career … he’ll be fine.

I’m a little confused, though. Were eliminations this week based just on last week’s scores?

The judges made it a race between Nick and Bindi, though. They’re both sitting at 25.31% against Alek’s 24.05% going into tomorrow.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 6

Bindi's completely dead to me now. I'm pretty sure the entire ballroom cried more real tears then she did. I did not see any glistening in her eyes. Derek is clearly going the Kellie Pickler route for the trophy.

Nick's freestyle was my favorite hands down. I liked that they actually used a BSB-sung track for their dance. I can't imagine how the band would have ruined it.

As long as Alek leaves in third place, Carlos' elimination doesn't bother me. It was going to be one or the other.

I hate that Nick outlasted Carlos.  I was hoping to be rid of Sharna.

All of my votes went to Alek.  I can't stand Bindi and Nick is saddled with Sharna, so that leaves Alek who seems like a nice guy.

• Love 1

Dance wise Bindi certainly deserves a win. She's been great, but I'm still rooting for Nick. I don't particularly care who actually wins at this point, though.

I do want to know what the song Bindi and Derek's freestyle was to, though. Anyone know?

I didn't watch the re-do's but I did get to see the freestyles.... ah, yeah.. well I'm not sure of the climbing toys and the running in place was high brow choreography, but it was a good try from Lindsay. Props to Alex for at least trying to make an obstacle course look like dance.

Derek once again rips Travis Wall's choreography but instead of something profound we get a dance for bedwetters, complete with a blow up picture of Steve Irwin. When in doubt, drag out your dead dad.Geez that was horrible to watch.

We get to see Paula again doing....well nothing in Carlos and Witney's hiphop routine. That alone deserves to be eliminated.

Nick did his BSB thing and it was at least fun to watch.

• Love 1

I've been unable to watch for the past month, ditched the satellite and had trouble getting my antenna to pull in ABC, finally got it this weekend. I have a question, who was the male back-up dancer with the shaved head? I never could get an up-close look.

And Julianne's dress could have been a size larger. It gave her odd body lines.

• Love 1

I do want to know what the song Bindi and Derek's freestyle was to, though. Anyone know?

Footprints in the Sand by Leona Lewis.

(And as I type that all I can think is Sandcastles in the Sand by Robin Sparkles.)

• Love 6

Holy moly Derek and bindi couldn't be more corny and in your face if they tried . Oh wait , they do . And WAY too hard might i add . I do truly feel for her about her dad , but we heard about it every week of the show . It's enough already . And I didn't realize until this season what a teachers pet and kiss up Derek is . I wouldn't be surprised if he brought apples for the judges .

Agreed about it being one of the other going home tonight between Alek and Carlos .. But Carlos is way better so I hate when this happens

• Love 4

Enough of the fake tears, EVERYONE!  That whole dead dad thing made me cringe- sooooooo embarrassing!  I imagined that if Bindi's dad was looking down from heaven he'd be saying the same thing.  It was totally yucky, and to think that last week Bindi was finally startling to grow on me.  Now- I hope she loses.

• Love 4

Well Derek can create a dance I'll give him dance.  But I'm so over the "dead family member" routines and while it's powerful to many to me it's like "yay?"

I admit to be a bit underwhelmed by Nick's freestyle especially after that jive and I say that as a BSB fan, mostly due to using a BSB song already this season.  I did like the balanced mix of the choreography of the song and what Sharna taught him.

Alek is still here.  Ok.

I'm hoping the Backstreet Army votes like it's TRL 1999 but I think Derek is going to win...again.  Ugh.

• Love 2

I've been unable to watch for the past month, ditched the satellite and had trouble getting my antenna to pull in ABC, finally got it this weekend. I have a question, who was the male back-up dancer with the shaved head? I never could get an up-close look.

And Julianne's dress could have been a size larger. It gave her odd body lines.

That is Vincent Noiseux  he's a Canadian contemporary/jazz/hip hop dancer and he was on SYTYCDCanada and America's Best Dance Crew

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

Opening Number – This was dull and borderline anemic. And what was up with those costumes? It looked like a bunch of costume makers who did not talk to each other styled the dancers. The guys are in tails and then the girls are looking like they’re going to the club. Seriously, the hell?

First Dance

Carlos/Witney (Foxtrot) – I did not love this. Now granted I thought the song sucked for a Foxtrot but I also thought Carlos was dancing a little too small. He’s kind of a tiny guy and I thought he needed more extension in his arms at times and more power in his upper body. But whatever, clearly the judges disagreed with me or they didn't but knew he was going home as I suspected and decided to be generous to him and throw him some perfect scores. 

Alek/Lindsay (Rumba) – Okay, he tried. I really did see the effort he put forth but as Shakira said, “hips don’t lie” and yeah those hips weren’t doing a thing. I will say he did sell the character and expression a little more but yeah this was still way too stompy and paint by numbers at certain points – hand there, foot there. Those scores were generous but they always are for the Finals.

Nice bumper from Artem and Peta.

Nick/Sharna (Jive) – Something about this bothered me. I’m certainly not surprised about the perfect score, especially the way the judges were freaking out but I did not love this. The first problem was Nick’s costume. The suit seemed ill-fitting and it made some of his movements look a little sloppy. The kicks and flicks were definitely better than the first time he did the dance but there wasn’t nearly enough of it. I saw too many “let’s incorporate the Backstreet Boy” style which Nick and Sharna have been doing and relying on way too much this season. That dance was overscored in my opinion.

Bindi/Derek (Quickstep) – That was amazing. Her frame was gorgeous and the dance was loaded with content. I know those who are not fans believe she is overpraised and over-scored, but frankly, after watching the whole night of dancing, I agreed with Carrie Ann that against the other couples left, Bindi is in a class of her own. Her combination of technique and performance ability was far superior to anything any of these guys did tonight in my opinion. 

Freestyle

Carlos/Witney – Well Witney killed it…so yeah for that? I’m not sure what it says when the highlight of the number for me was Paula Deen’s random cameo. Yeah I would have given it 9’s. Carlos honestly got lost in the number and the moments that were just him and Witney, she was out-dancing and out-hitting him like nobody’s business. He just seemed like a guy trying to do some hip hop moves throughout the dance rather than truly selling it. Also I’m pretty sure he flubbed a lift so I call bullshit on the perfect score but whatever. I was totally jamming to the song though.

Alek/Lindsay – This was good. I think Lindsay played this smart and played to Alek’s strength and his journey. Wasn’t my favorite and parts of it were a little dull but overall as a whole, I enjoyed it. I actually would have liked more stuff on the scaffolding thing, I think that would have been really cool but obviously it’s what Alek is capable of so all in all, it was good.

Derek/Bindi – So they flipped the order of Bindi and Nick for the freestyle…how interesting. I guess they couldn’t have Nick go last three weeks in a row but they made sure to leave his big Backstreet number for the big finale. I have watched this show since the first season and I honestly cannot off the top of my head remember the order being switched like that. Well okay then. That said, let me talk about the dance. I’m so glad Derek put it out there in his blog that the addition of Jazz and Contemporary and troupe has kind of taken away a little of what made the freestyle special. It’s hard to do something truly different when there are practically mini-freestyles almost every week on the show now. So that said, this was a contemporary which Bindi has already done so not exactly breaking new ground. What I will say is her dancing ability and technique was gorgeous and stunning. Those lines and lifts were absolutely beautiful and I did see a progression from her Week 4 contemporary to this one. Her movement was much sharper and cleaner.

Nick/Sharna – Well the perfect score was obvious but whatever. Okay, the positive, I appreciated the obvious ballroom stuff Sharna threw in at the beginning to really make it not just like a repeat of their Jazz. That said, that first lift was shaky and a little sloppy and there were obvious sync issues. Here’s the thing about Nick. Yesterday I watched all of his dances from Week 1 and I don’t feel like he’s truly grown as a dancer. Again, I like Nick, I definitely think he’s tried hard and given it his all but I don’t feel like he’s really that much better or stronger now than he was 11 weeks ago.

In conclusion, this is another year where I was left mostly underwhelmed by the freestyles. Everyone went with what was obvious and I get it – do something that reflects your celebrity and their journey. But I want to see someone go the surprising route. It doesn’t have to be something that’s never been done before or out of this world crazy, just something unpredictable to who the couple/celebrity is. Just saying…

And Carlos’ elimination is a shock to no one. The minute I realized he was going first I knew it was over. So once again, if Tom wasn’t being misleading last week, I’m pretty much positive that Nick was the one who was going home. It will be very interesting to see if he did enough to rally his clearly complacent fanbase.

As usual, I don't vote and as I've always said, this show is and has never been solely about technique. It's about who connects with the most people, so whoever wins tonight, it will be deserved. That said, in my opinion, tonight Bindi solidified that she was the most consistent and strongest dancer this season. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

That was one of the better finales, IMO.  I didn't love all of the dances, but for the most part it was entertaining.  I felt bad for Bindi that Derek had that huge picture of her Dad put up at the end.  She wasn't expecting it, and I think it really rattled  her.  The song and the dance were emotional enough for her.  I didn't think the additional reminder of Steve was necessary.   Her dance was beautiful.  I've enjoyed watching her this season.

• Love 7

I was a little underwhelmed by the whole show. I dunno, none of the dances really seemed that amazing or special. Bindi and Derek trot out the dead dad thing again, Nick and Sharna trot out the BSB thing again, Alek and Lindsay trot out the army/patriotism thing again, and Carlos and Witney did... something. Meh. 

• Love 9

Well Derek can create a dance I'll give him dance.  But I'm so over the "dead family member" routines and while it's powerful to many to me it's like "yay?

Well to be honest I saw Travis Wall's choreography.  And I'm totally over the dead dad. For me this is one of Derek's not so great freestyles.  With the others that were real winners we got something totally unexpected from the contestant, Kellie's flexibility,  Brooke's fearlessness, but this was a lunch bag let down because we've seen this and her pained expressions one too many times.

Edited by Andie1
So they flipped the order of Bindi and Nick for the freestyle…how interesting. I guess they couldn’t have Nick go last three weeks in a row but they made sure to leave his big Backstreet number for the big finale. I have watched this show since the first season and I honestly cannot off the top of my head remember the order being switched like that. Well okay then.

I figured that was because they extended the stage and mobbed the dance floor and didn't want to work to clear it all before Bindi's dance. But they've done more with less time so I don't know. I was confused, too.

I have watched all 21 seasons of this show, and I have seen the judges fall over themselves for contestants, but I have never seen them carry on over anyone the way they carried on over Bindi tonight, that was completely ridiculous. Actually thanking her parents for creating her, are you kidding me? The tears, declaring that everyone is a better person because of her dancing, just absolutely ridiculous. I was compelled to vote tonight, and I voted for everyone not named Bindi. 

• Love 18

I wasn't going to vote but the picture of Bindi's father being put up at the end of their dance just seemed so manipulative that I've been trying to vote for Nick, but haven't gotten through yet. 

I loved Nick's re-do dance, and his freestyle.

The others were all fine, but didn't wow me.

• Love 5

Did I have a brain fart or something? In the first round, I'm fairly sure Nick/Sharna performed before Bindi/Derek - but then their performance order was switched in the freestyle round. Why was that? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

I have to say that for me one of my favorite parts to the show was there were two songs I adore - and have wanted to see performed on the show - used tonight (James Morrison's "The Pieces Don't Fit Here Anymore" and OneRepublic's "Marchin' On.")

I hated that they gave Alek and Lindsey the rumba because I knew he probably wouldn't do well with it. His hip action was definitely not great, but I still enjoyed the performance.

"Watching you dance makes me a better person." Shut up, Carrie Ann!

I've seen better freestyles overall. The only freestyle I enjoyed, and plan on watching again, was Alek and Lindsey's. The choreography was so creative and wasn't something we've seen from Alek a billion different times this season. It was fun and memorable.

Unlike Bindi and Nick's freestyles which looked like carbon copies of previous dances of theirs. I swear I zoned out halfway through Nick's freestyle.

I must have a heart of freakin' stone because the only tears Bindi's freestyle could pull out of me were tears of boredom. The only thing I could think to describe it after I was done was boring. Then they panned to all the people wiping away tears and I think I strained my eyes I rolled them so hard. Why are you crying you've seen this before! I mean what was so different about that dance compared to the contemporary - or whatever other dance she dedicated to her father.

It's not that I think a freestyle has to be a big production or can't include real dancing. For years I was bored with hip-hop freestyles and wanted to see freestyles that had some real dancing in it. As much as I didn't want them to win Kelly/Derek and Maksim/Meryl's freestyles were pretty good and I loved Rumer/Val's last season. But Bindi/Derek's was so blah and repetitive.

To be honest, I've been done with Bindi since the Dirty Dancing non-rumba - maybe even before that. The thing is, I don't necessarily think Bindi is putting on an act and I'm sure she's a genuinely sweet girl, but if in real life she is even 1/10 the way she is on the show I could not deal with being around her. I would be too afraid of falling into a diabetic coma. I'm tired of the tears. I'm tired of her main vocabulary consisting of the phrase "I love you." I'm tired of her taking her sweet time to hand out her very special hugs to the judges. More than that, I'm tired of everyone acting as if she is a literal angel dropped from the sky and rainbows shoot out of her butt.

I'm honestly not a really cynical person, but in the package before her freestyle, when she brought up her dad again I thought, "My God again with this!" And I feel horrible about that because I'm sure her dad's death still affects. My dad died ten years ago and it still affects me, but her dad has been brought up so much this season it just feels like a ploy for sympathy and as a tearjerker.

I would have laughed and laughed if after the sobfest for her dance she would have been booted tonight, but I'm sure they're planning her coronation tomorrow as the most special person to ever grace the stage with her presence. I just hope after she's crowned Queen Fairy Pixie Dust Angel of the ballroom, I don't have to see her for awhile.

Not sorry to see Carlos go. Just something about him screamed douche and phony.

• Love 1

Man, I'm so glad Carlos is gone. Too bad it wasn't sooner. The douchiness really hit me when he jumped on Witney's back just before they cut to the pre-freestyle package, and it looked like she totally wasn't expecting it and almost fell, then was like "Smile for the cameras! Smile, smile, did they cut away yet? OW!" And then during the package he's concerned the pro dancers will steal all his thunder, so he wants to bring in Hayes and Paula instead. Nice. And he "finally gets to dance with [his] wife," only it was more like she was tossed over him so he could jump back into the spotlight. Hope that wasn't a metaphor. 

Okay, as for the rest of the night...

The song for Carlos and Witney's foxtrot was, I thought, more suited to a tango. I hate it when the show does this mismatch. 

Interesting that Derek brought up the Finals flub with Shawn's quickstep from All Stars, especially since it was discussed here a little this week. I always thought the mistake was when he said they could please the audience, or they could please the judges. And I'm sorry, but the so-called "greatest choreographer of our time" should be able to do both. It was smart to follow the rules this time around; he's clearly learned from his mistake. 

I loved Lindsey's concept for Alek's freestyle. It was definitely interesting and unique. It gave off a very Divergent feel. Surprisingly my favorite of the night.

Bindi's dance was gorgeous, if on the nose. 

I hate to admit it, but I was underwhelmed by Nick's freestyle. It wasn't anything we haven't seen from him for the last, what, 20 years? It definitely played to his strengths and to his fans, but I would have liked something different. (And I assume they switched the order of Bindi and Nick's dances due to both the troupe dancers needing to change between Carlos/Alek's dances and Nick's and the staging of getting the audience on and off the floor. Though why they didn't just have Nick dance fourth in the first round, I don't know.) 

• Love 3

There was a moment when Tom introduced the package for Bindi & Derek's freestyle and I could have sworn he said "Derek & Shar......." At the time, I didn't realize Bindi was going too early. I wonder if something happened on the set where they couldn't get it set up right in time and made them switch on the fly. It definitely seemed like the TelePrompTer couldn't be updated in time and Tom flubbed with his improv.

Edited by Saylii

I am shocked that Nick did another Backstreet Boys. Except of course he did because whether it be patriotism, or dead fathers, or crappy (in my opinion ) boy bands it's all manipulation.

Nick kind of leaves me cold. I don't have anything against him but I watch him dance and then it's over and Im just want to like shrug my shoulders in indifference.I kind of think it's bullshit that they switched orders.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 4

I haven't seen all the seasons so I'm just curious - is this the first time Derek's not used the troupe during the finale freestyle with his partner?

I was rooting for Nick, but I didn't really love that freestyle. His other dance, however, was a lot of fun. Perhaps there just wasn't any way of topping the energy of it. I thought that freestyle was a little slow and dull in comparison.

Carlos's freestyle... eh. Witney was the one who had the sharpest moves; Carlos definitely paled in comparison. And I have to laugh a little at how excited Carlos was to "finally dance with my wife!" because when it came time to display that part of the routine, the camera wasn't even on them; it was on Hayes (and Witney?). So all we saw was the quick tail end of whatever their part of the routine was. Guess it was lucky we at least saw part of it in the package beforehand. LOL.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

Derek had a really good freestyle with Kellie Pickler.  No troupe, but it was an unexpected dance because of her flexibility almost made it a cirque du soleil kind of thing.. The one with the Seaworld Ambassador (((shudder))) was just warmed over moves from what we've seen, plus a few new moves ripped off SYTYCD.

• Love 3

I guess Derek isn't so confident that America's Sweetheart could win on her own. So pathetic that he had to throw in one last time the dead father exploitation. Props to Bindi for at least trying to squeeze out some fake tears.

Yeah, it felt like Derek needed to stick that reminder in if we didn't already get it shoved down our throats throughout the season.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

I was really surprised that Derek didn't include any troupe members in the freestyle with Bindi. I actually think that was a sharp move on his part. It took away all the flash that might overshadow them as partners, and it stuck to what he knows works well - emotional stuff about her family. I thought it was a beautifully danced routine. Not my most favorite, but definitely beautiful. 

The only thing I wish Derek had done was not make it about her dad. I appreciate the sentiment of it, I actually don't mind them returning to that well for the most part because it does mean the most to Bindi (just as Backstreet Boys means the world to Nick, and the military means the world to Alek). However, it would have been cool if he'd found a way to celebrate HER as a person, not her father. To show that she is her own person, not just Steve's daughter. I think then I would have been more moved. Still... very well danced, from my view.

Derek had a really good freestyle with Kellie Pickler.  No troupe, but it was an unexpected dance because of her flexibility almost made it a cirque du soleil kind of thing.

Thanks for the info, Andie1. Sounds like an interesting dance!

• Love 3

I have watched all 21 seasons of this show, and I have seen the judges fall over themselves for contestants, but I have never seen them carry on over anyone the way they carried on over Bindi tonight, that was completely ridiculous. Actually thanking her parents for creating her, are you kidding me? The tears, declaring that everyone is a better person because of her dancing, just absolutely ridiculous. I was compelled to vote tonight, and I voted for everyone not named Bindi. 

I haven't watched quite as long, but I agree about the Bindi gushing. Yes, yes, she's a terrific dancer and a wonderful person. (And it's sad she lost her father so young.) The "Dr. Bones" dance was great fun to watch--the standout of the night for me. BUT...it's still a dance contest. To hear the judges, you'd think she discovered the cure for every disease and brought about world peace.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1

I saw Nick's jive on Rickey.org, and yeah it was really pretty good.  He got a little tired near the end but I figured that week 2 Jive was a tad underscored. Going from a 21 to a 30 is a really strong showing for him and Julianne's drills did help with the flicka-kicks.  I'm not sure he's as good a Jiver as his brother Aaron, but he did well.

I was really surprised that Derek didn't include any troupe members in the freestyle with Bindi. I actually think that was a sharp move on his part. It took away all the flash that might overshadow them as partners, and it stuck to what he knows works well - emotional stuff about her family. I thought it was a beautifully danced routine. Not my most favorite, but definitely beautiful. 

The only thing I wish Derek had done was not make it about her dad. I appreciate the sentiment of it, I actually don't mind them returning to that well for the most part because it does mean the most to Bindi (just as Backstreet Boys means the world to Nick, and the military means the world to Alek). However, it would have been cool if he'd found a way to celebrate HER as a person, not her father. To show that she is her own person, not just Steve's daughter. I think then I would have been more moved. Still... very well danced, from my view.

Thanks for the info, Andie1. Sounds like an interesting dance!

It's the dance that won the season.  I think Zendaya would have won if not for Kellie's freestyle. It was that good.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

Going from a 21 to a 30 is a really strong showing for him and Julianne's drills did help with the flicka-kicks.

Thanks for reminding me of that! I was impressed with Julianne's teaching method (the way she drilled him and especially the way she described the movement as trying to dip your toe in and then jerking it back because it's hot) - I thought that was a really strong mental image to give him and it really seemed to work well. The three of them looked like they had a lot of fun in that rehearsal. It was a great routine.

• Love 5

Yeah, it felt like Derek needed to stick that reminder in if we didn't already get it shoved down our throats throughout the season.

Just like how we've now been reminded a thousand and one times about Nick being a Backstreet Boy? or Alek being an American Hero?

Bindi isn't the only one we are being reminded of things.

• Love 16

I haven't seen all the seasons so I'm just curious - is this the first time Derek's not used the troupe during the finale freestyle with his partner?

I see your question has already been answered, so not the first time.  And truly, I think the viewers dodged a bullet here.  For all we know, we could have had pallbearers and angels dancing in the background just to really bring it home.  

The picture at the end was probably the most cheap and blatant manipulation I have ever seen on this show.  And we've seen a ton over the years.

• Love 13

Wow, tough room here. Bindi is by far and away the best dancer, and I hope she is rewarded as she should be. I do not for a minute think any of her tears - at any time in the competition for that matter -  were fake. She is 17 for heaven's sake. I was much older than Bindi (38 to her 8) when I lost my dad which will be 20 years ago in a few weeks. I can still be reduced to a puddle of tears with no warning. Some of us are lucky to have had an amazing connection with our dad. Others apparently not so much. I do wish Derek had not put Steve's picture up at the end, especially without her knowing it. I think she held things together well until then. I hope it doesn't lose her the mirror ball due to the cynics in the crowd. However if people are voting on the best dancer she should win regardless.

On another note, I hate hate hate when the freestyle is full of other dancers. Bindi and Derek could have danced to pretty much anything and I would have preferred their dance over the other three. If you are worthy of being in the final you shouldn't need all the other dancers distracting from what should be a showcase of the star and his/her partner.

• Love 18

I see your question has already been answered, so not the first time.  And truly, I think the viewers dodged a bullet here.  For all we know, we could have had pallbearers and angels dancing in the background just to really bring it home.

LMAO.

I know we've been reminded about Nick being a Backstreet Boy and Alek being a hero a lot, but for me, trotting out a personal tragedy to gain votes feels far worse and ickier.

Some of us are lucky to have had an amazing connection with our dad. Others apparently not so much.

Bit of a cheap shot there. Bindi's connection to her dad and his loss is no greater than anyone else who has experienced something similar. I had a great connection to my dad, but it doesn't mean I find the dead card constantly being played by Bindi and the show a little shady. And, like I said before, I'm sure her sense of loss is real - I'm just sick of hearing about it.

On another note, I hate hate hate when the freestyle is full of other dancers. Bindi and Derek could have danced to pretty much anything and I would have preferred their dance over the other three. If you are worthy of being in the final you shouldn't need all the other dancers distracting from what should be a showcase of the star and his/her partner.

Eh, I mostly feel the opposite. With the proliferation of the troupe members and the use of them every week in regular dances, the only way to make a freestyle stand out is to strip it down to just two. But it used to be a freestyle is where you did bring in other dancers and tried to wow the audience. You can have a great freestyle with just two like Rumer and Val's. But as long as you use the other dancers appropriately, you can have a great freestyle with the troupe members there,like Alfonso and Whitney did.

Besides, I'm sure the only reason Derek didn't use the troupe is because he's done it in other freestyle and a number of other times with Bindi this season.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 7

This is my first post, though I have been lurking for some time. I just had to add my voice to those not quite understanding how a picture of Bindi's father being shown is any different than the hundredth time we heard that Nick is a Backstreet Boy (and I'm a BSB fan), the hero narrative for Alek, and the husband/wife battle with Carlos. Let's call a spade a spade here - if that picture was manipulation than so were Sharna and Nick dancing to Larger than Life, while incorporating choregraphy from the video (seriously, is Fatima Robinson going to get a nod at any point for using her choreography in his Jazz and tonight?). Last week, Alex danced to America the Beautiful with a flag blowing in the background. How is that not manipulation?

• Love 17

I was a bit underwhelmed by Nick's freestyle, could have been better. The jive was good though. Bind's freestyle was beautiful but wish they didn't put a picture of her dad at the end.

I will spare myself from the "debate". Good night.

• Love 1

At least Bindi's freestyle showed that she's capable of actual real dancing and not just lifting or resorting to boy band moves you've been doing for 20 years and without the added distraction of backup dancers or props.

• Love 4

Nah, I think exploiting someone who isn't here anymore is just a tad more heinous.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm not sure it's any more heinous than using over and over again Alek's experience with terrorists (and especially the thing with his school). We were pounded over the head with that week after week as well, and I think there are plenty of people who have lost loved ones because of terrorists who might find the repeated glorified use of that to be too much as well.

• Love 4