Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E13: Finals Night

• Start Topic

I don't think Bindi's use of her deceased dad is any worse than Nick and the BSB, and Alek's hero status. It's all part of the game.

I think the difference is, music and being a Backstreet Boy is who Nick is. A military man is who Alek is. Bindi is more than her father's death, or at least she should be. It could have been more poignant for Bindi to tribute her dad (because he's a big part of her life and who she is) and then move on. Focus on Bindi and who she is. She's not her father's death, but yet we've gotten dance after dance about her with her dad, about how her dad would have like this, and tears upon tears. Nothing about his love for animals, or his dream for their zoo, or her role in continuing his life's work, or anything that would have given Bindi a purpose. Her story was very heavily "I'm still mourning my dad". There's gotta breaking point for that.

Plus, it borders on manipulative. The sad angle always does. Alec didn't pander votes week after week by repeatedly proclaiming how he saved a train full of people. Nick didn't ever really mention how his father figure was basically a swindler and very likely a pedophile. It's why I don't like "memorable year" week, because it's sob story after sob story (because that's what gets the votes), Bindi's entire season was "most memorable year" week ... except her most memorable everything was about her dad.

• Love 24

Guys if we continue to see repeated posts rehashing the argument from Bindi's thread in all the threads? Time outs will be given. If you want to risk not being able to post at all tomorrow by all means keep it up.

Sorry, I posted before I saw your post.

Edited by Andie1

Bindi's dance was ordinary with ripped off choreography. Dancing without a troupe is not new. If she wins it won't because she's anything special.  I'd rather see Alex or Nick win. At least they had some low points  fought hard and danced well to come back.

Bindi's dance was ordinary with ripped off choreography. Dancing without a troupe is not new. If she wins it won't because she's anything special.  I'd rather see Alex or Nick win. At least they had some low points  fought hard and danced well to come back.

Consistency is more important to me and her dances will be the ones I remember after the season is done.

• Love 3

The problem with this season is that we had Hometown Glory week, the Most Memorable Year week, Influential Figures week, the generic this-is-why-we-love-our-semi-finalist week, and then freestyles that were suspiciously tailored to those same themes that we've already seen four times. I have to assume that the scoring and voting is so close that the pros and producers are grasping at straws hoping to gain another voting percentage or that Julianne will find the mythic 11 paddle.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 4

I voted for the first time tonight (for Nick) - all because the Steve Irwin picture was the most exploitive and manipulative thing this show has ever done. And that's saying something. It's too bad, though, cuz she's a beautiful dancer. I wish the show would focus more on dance and less with hitting us over the head with how they want us to feel.

• Love 12

Consistency is more important to me and her dances will be the ones I remember after the season is done.

To me the show is about having a journey, an improvement arc, and yeah my favorite dances aren't Bindi's at all. I can't stand the same boring over the top cheezy personality dance week after week .  Like Carrie Ann said on her Salsa, it does nothing.  That's why Derek has to rip off choregraphy and throw a big picture up.   Give me a concept , like Downton Abbey, even the Obstacle course freestyle, at least there's some creativity there.  

• Love 1

I have to hand it to Lindsay - she went right for Alek's strengths (his physical strength and the military angle) and it worked well. The obstacle course routine was interesting and I liked the climb at the end and then the freefall backwards.

The only thing is... there really wasn't a ton of dance. It mainly just showed off his physical strength. And that's been my problem with Alek most of the season. The rumba earlier in the night highlighted why I don't think he should win. He still struggles with the fluid movement of dance (Lindsay did most of the passionate movements and dynamics of the dance), and he hasn't shown much improvement from the beginning of the season when it comes to that, especially hip action.

And quite frankly, when all is said and done, I don't think he really cares that he hasn't gotten better. I think he'll move on just fine with being done with the show, win or lose, and not give it much thought. I haven't really seen a true emotional growth or impact on him, even being in the competition. Sometimes I've even wondered if he thought it was all kind of stupid.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

No shortage of 10s tonight. Makes things kind of boring.

Carlos’s freestyle was kinda boring comparatively, but I liked the idea of using previous contestants.

I really liked Lindsay’s concept for their dance. Was it freestyle worthy? Eh … I don’t know, but I liked that it was different.

Can we stop with the Steve Erwin mentions? For that alone I’m glad this season is almost over. How many weeks is that Bindi’s “theme”? I get it, Steve Erwin was a pop culture icon and died a tragic death and left behind a young family that will never be able to fill that hole. But geez, I don’t think anyone has milked their tragic story as much as TPTB have milked having an Erwin on the show. I’m so tired of it and I had nothing against the guy or his family and if I have to see Bindi cry one more time I might scream. This was supposed to be her journey and her competition, not a giant memorial to her dad. I can’t decide what is worse, the crying over memories of her dad or the over the top gratitude and thankfulness and sunshine and rainbows. I want to like her but I just can’t and I find myself growing more annoyed with her (or at least the way TPTB have decided to portray her) week after week. /rant

I feel like more than anyone else’s freestyle, Sharna made Nick’s freestyle about him. Even though he was backed by a bunch of the troupe and Val and Peta and whoever else, that was his dance. I’m a little sad that there were no boy band cameos, but it made me smile just like I did when I was in middle school and saw Nick in BSB’s Black and Blue tour.

Alexa looked so sad that there won’t be a mirror ball trophy in the PenaVega house. But I can’t feel bad for the couples that get eliminated the night before the show is over. He’ll dance tomorrow, people will see him, he’s potentially jump started his career … he’ll be fine.

I’m a little confused, though. Were eliminations this week based just on last week’s scores?

The judges made it a race between Nick and Bindi, though. They’re both sitting at 25.31% against Alek’s 24.05% going into tomorrow.

Eliminations were based on the last 2 weeks of scores. Or so at least Tom, if not also Erin, said more than once (there was no elimination last week since Alexa PenaVega was eliminated 2 weeks ago, then Tamar dropped out of the show Wednesday of the same week (Veterans' Day) because it turned out she had multiple blood clots in her lungs (probably among other health-related issues) & needed hospital treatment. By the way, Bindi's last name's Irwin, with an I at the beginning not an E.

• Love 1

Some of us are lucky to have had an amazing connection with our dad. Others apparently not so much.

Deleted post.

Oops, Sorry Radishcake. I just saw your post.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 1

After seeing the freestyles, I can say that we've seen Nick's before.  It looked just like his jazz.  Makes me wonder what was their original song that didn't get cleared.  Alek's didn't thrill me.  Then again, he was dancing to a One Republic song and I can't stand them.  Bindi was great.  She should win based on how she's been consistent, but I'm sure the Backstreet fans are probably lit up tonight.

The most awesome thing that happened tonight was Snoopy dancing.  That made me get out of my seat.

Edited by superdeluxe

Alek didn't deserve all tens for the free style.  The judges copped out on that one. 

Bindi is a sweet girl and a great dancer.  That's what her judging should be about.

Too many tens have been handed out all around tonight and last week. 

• Love 4

I really don't care who wins; this season has been god awful.

More than anything, this season has been about Lindsay Arnold finally getting her due after the producers continued to sleep on her for so many seasons. I have been following her career since her SYTYCD days with Witney, and actually preferred Lindsay back then. I feel it has been long overdue for her to get another shot at being a pro. Glad she's waking people up. Fantastic choreographer, exceptional teacher with still room left for her to grow. I'm beyond excited for her. Alek is certainly not the best dancer left, but he seems to be what this show should be about, and if Lindsay has any shot at taking this, I'm damn well rooting for her to.

Edited by inyourmarrow
  • Love 8
The most awesome thing that happened tonight was Snoopy dancing.

Is there any possible way we can write Snoopy in as the winner? Because I know Bindi is going to win and that is going to be boring. This season was kind of meh. I think I said last spring season too, but this one was just.. meh. At least I was excited last season. 

And quite frankly, when all is said and done, I don't think he really cares that he hasn't gotten better. I think he'll move on just fine with being done with the show, win or lose, and not give it much thought. I haven't really seen a true emotional growth or impact on him, even being in the competition. Sometimes I've even wondered if he thought it was all kind of stupid.

For someone like him, it probably is a little silly. I don't really see why that's a problem. I think Alek is normal guy who has a healthy perspective (especially after everything he's dealt with this year) about this competition. I think he's got enough of a competitive edge to want to go the distance, but it's not going to devastate him if he loses. It's been fun and he's probably enjoyed this sort of once in a lifetime experience, but it's not going to define his life. I think that's much healthier than getting weepy and taking about how life-changing the experience has been.

Bindi is a sweet girl and a great dancer.  That's what her judging should be about.

The judges should be judging her dancing, not how sweet she may or may not be.

• Love 9

Is there any possible way we can write Snoopy in as the winner?

I've seen Snoopy dance on other shows. Everybody knows he's a ringer.  ;)

For someone like him, it probably is a little silly. I don't really see why that's a problem.

It IS all a little silly.  *GRIN*  I don't necessarily think it's a problem either. I just don't feel invested to vote for someone who doesn't care one way or another, especially when other dancers excite/interest me more.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

Derek once again rips Travis Wall's choreography but instead of something profound we get a dance for bedwetters, complete with a blow up picture of Steve Irwin. When in doubt, drag out your dead dad.Geez that was horrible to watch.

Why do they keep taking stuff from the same one dance I don't get it.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

• Love 3

For someone like him, it probably is a little silly. I don't really see why that's a problem. I think Alek is normal guy who has a healthy perspective (especially after everything he's dealt with this year) about this competition. I think he's got enough of a competitive edge to want to go the distance, but it's not going to devastate him if he loses. It's been fun and he's probably enjoyed this sort of once in a lifetime experience, but it's not going to define his life. I think that's much healthier than getting weepy and taking about how life-changing the experience has been.

The judges should be judging her dancing, not how sweet she may or may not be.

After reading and finding out about her, I happen to think she sucks as a human being, so that's gonna taint how I view her dancing, but compared to others I've voted for including Tamar, Bindi's not the best ever, she's not the best even this season. As a finalist, both Nick and Alex appear to be stand up guys compared to her, so for me it's anybody but Bindi. I know the show has done more than it's best in snowing enough people into believing her bs, so she's probably on track to take this, but for me she's not an impressive person in the least. I'm just sad that she'll use this win as a platform for more of the same. 

Why do they keep taking stuff from the same one dance I don't get it.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Because Derek is unoriginal. And Again, it was done so much better the first time. Bindi can't even balance herself Derek has to do all the work.

Edited by Andie1

Eh, something about Bindi just throws me off. She seems nice, but I don't know. I feel very sorry for her loss, that is awful and terrible that she lost her father at such a young age. For her and her family. Something never sits quite right with me. Maybe it's everyone on this show telling me how great and wonderful she is. Like, I've watched this all season and it's the same narrative. And yes, she's a great dancer, she has learned a lot but so have the others and I feel like, the gushing over her is a so much. Compile the narrative of how Bindi is so great then they try to foil us viewers by giving us Derek is so stressed out narrative, now he is sick. Maybe this trophy will make Derek go AWAY. 

I am happy Carlos is gone. I hope Nick wins, but I don't think he will. 

• Love 4

I actually really loved both Carlos and Nick's freestyles, they were entertaining (to me), didn't take themselves too seriously, and it looked like both guys were having a blast.

I wish Derek had gone in a different direction for Bindi's freestyle, because we saw pretty much the same thing for her contemporary. 

Thought Alek's was sweet. I wish he had gone out 4th though.

• Love 2

Nick being a Backstreet Boy and Alec being in the military is something they do. It's their calling card, their jobs. It's business. It's not emotionally manipulative, like constantly using the image of a dead parent. I don't blame Bindi. She's a kid. I DO blame the show and Derek. Have we gone a week without being reminded of dead dad? How many dances were dedicated to him, or danced to a song that was Steve's favorite (AC DC number)?

Do I think Bindi is the best dancer? Yeah. Do I want her to win? Nope, and it has nothing to do with her, and everything to do with the show's overuse of the dead daddy sympathy card. That said, she IS going to win, and we'll get to watch Golden Boy smugly win another trophy. Unless I find something else to watch. What time is The Voice on?

• Love 7

TPTB loves playing with emotions. They do it every time there's a war vet or someone with a physical disability or both (Noah).

I had chills watching Bindi's freestyle before Steve's picture. She just moves so effortless and with so much conviction. It's often overshadowed that she is a non-dancer going out there and performing how she is.

Nick winning would be a disappointment because he's basically done all season the same type of music video/boy band style of movement and I haven't seen a real improvement, even getting in his head as recently as last week.

All that said, 99% of all these polls and predictions have Bindi winning. I can't imagine a scenario where she loses. Nick's fans are more vocal on social media but so were Riker's and he didnt' win either.

After all is said and done, if Bindi wins, she had a great journey and surprised us with her ability as a non-dancer.

• Love 3

Do I think Bindi is the best dancer? Yeah. Do I want her to win? Nope, and it has nothing to do with her, and everything to do with the show's overuse of the dead daddy sympathy card. That said, she IS going to win, and we'll get to watch Golden Boy smugly win another trophy.

It's more than the dead father card. I can't get over how much the show has lionized this girl. All season. But here's a sample just from tonight: Carrie Ann - "I want to thank your mom and dad for creating you." Julianne: "You're so special....and have left an impact on all of us..." Erin (in tears): "You've changed all of our lives." Um, what? I get that she's a very positive, bubbly girl, and probably a very nice person who they all like. But I wish they all stopped acting like she cured cancer. It's nauseating, and way too over-the-top.

• Love 12

My prediction for who will win.

1. Bindi
2. Alek
3. Nick

There's no way in hell Alek should be Top 3, so I'm assuming he's getting the patriotic vote, not votes because of his dancing. Bindi's win was pre-ordained from the jump, so that leaves Nick in third.

Who SHOULD win? Nick. Alex as I said straight up shouldn't be there and Bindi is a 17 year old agile, petite blank slate; not a 35 year old who's been performing (and dancing, to an extent) since he was 12 and is considerably more worse for wear than her. Couple that with having to UNLEARN bad habits, Nick's had an AMAZING run.

Nick has had a JOURNEY and isn't that what DWTS is supposed to be about? It's not about someone who was good and stayed good the entire time. Bindi can dance yes, but she's also had an easier road than Nick.

Edited by Canadian213
  • Love 2

At least Bindi's freestyle showed that she's capable of actual real dancing and not just lifting or resorting to boy band moves you've been doing for 20 years and without the added distraction of backup dancers or props.

Confused by this comment. There were a number of very long lifts in Bindi's freestyle.

I think Bindi has been the most consistent this season and has a great work ethic.  However, I don't really feel like we've been on a journey with her. It feels like a retread of most memorable week.  I wish that Derek highlighted the person Bindi is now and all of the work she's done to extend her dad's legacy at the Zoo and with conservancy. Even talk about her own career.  We know how much she loved her father after all of these weeks. Derek should have warned her about the picture at the end.  Bindi is a good enough dancer that she could have carried a different kind of dance.  I hope that Bindi has been able to work through her father's death before this and that she didn't have to put on a brave face all of these years for her family. 

Nick's freestyle was good for production quality. I wish Sharna had made it more of dance about their partnership rather than him front and center. She did a good job of highlighting Nick's strengths, but their partnership made the second half of the season for me.  I want him to win, even with a few stumbles, I've enjoyed his dances the most this season.

Alek's freestyle played to his strengths. This was another partnership I liked and felt they had a genuine closeness even when Lindsay thought Alek was being dumb about the scores. I loved getting to see more of Lindsay this season.  I always thought Alek was dedicated to the show even when he thought some of the things were silly. I don't think that he was hyper into winning the mirror ball trophy but was content to go along with the process and do well for Lindsay.

I think that the propping of Bindi as the most amazing person ever on the show was too much. She is a lovely girl, but the show has had many inspiring individuals on over the years. Even this year, Alek and Nick are inspiring in their own right.  Nick's whole life from troubled childhood/family instability, rise to fame, issues with addiction, and recovery is inspiring. Alek's emotional strength has been amazing this season - first the instant fame he had from helping stop the attack, what happened in Roseburg, and then his friend Spencer getting stabbed. Alek went through a ridiculously intense three months. Most inspiring isn't what the show is about, but we have quality individuals as the finalists.  Bindi and Nick are genuinely good dancers. Alek wasn't as good as the others, but took Lindsay's choreography head on. 

• Love 4

There's no way in hell Alek should be Top 3, so I'm assuming he's getting the patriotic vote, not votes because of his dancing. 

Then again, maybe enough people (like me) voted for everyone EXCEPT Carlos that Alek got in that way. :-)

• Love 1

Plus, it borders on manipulative. The sad angle always does.

It's not emotionally manipulative, like constantly using the image of a dead parent.

Manipulative is just what this show does.  It's what TV does.  And reality TV.   But it's not just sad (Bindi) stuff that is emotionally manipulative. Nostalgia (Nick) absolutely touches on emotion. Patriotism (Alek) is super emotional for many people.  And while I don't think we had one this season, showmances also get people invested emotionally.  And all the freestyles, except for Carlos, worked the story angle the show chose to push all season for each contestant.  Feel less/more put off by one form of manipulation over another?  I get that.  But that doesn't suddenly mean those other manipulations aren't manipulative.

If I'm susceptible to one, it's probably nostalgia. I was all about Alfonso last season. But mostly, I don't have the patience for any of it except the dances which is why I employ delayed viewing.  Bye, commercials.  Bye, packages.  Bye, judges prattling comments and interviews. Hello, dancing!

As for the dances tonight, I think I liked the re-do dances more than I liked the freestyles. Sharna and Nick looked very hot in the jive, especially Sharna.  Derek and Bindi's quickstep was a lot of fun and had some cute moments.  In fact, I wanted something more fun like that for their freestyle since I think it better suits Bindi's personality.  Besides, I'm not a fan of contemporary, although I did think it was a beautiful dance.  I think Lindsay did some visually interesting things with his freestyle but overall, I didn't love it. 

• Love 3

You know, the finals were really anti-climatic without some Chmerkovskiy moodiness to counter the special snowflake that is the Golden Boy. I just realized what was missing. There was just too much blondness out there tonight. We were missing the dark drama that usually comes with a Val or Maks dance. You can't have that much sugar shoved into your face without some saltiness to counteract it. Between the judges' hyperbole regarding Bindi's presence among us, boy band numbers and patriotism, the audience was left in a diabetic coma. We need the dark, brooding, bad boy element. We needed some sexual tension on the dance floor. Missed you, Val (even if I didn't care for your partner this season).

• Love 9

I think that Carlos used his husband-wife angle by having Alexa in the free style.  We didn't get to see much of Carlos and Alexa dancing together because the camera was focused on Hayes. I didn't like Witney and Carlos including Paula, Alexa, and Hayes. It took away from their own dancing. I also think that it was an attempt to get those other fan bases to vote for them if they got through to the second night.   

IDK, I feel like nostalgia is in a different category than loss of a loved one.  The stars are there because of their careers and memorable roles. 

• Love 1

This season was the biggest dud I can remember - and tonight redeemed it.

Nick and Sharna's Jive and Bindi and Derek's QS were each of first quality - as good as any I've seen on this show.  It may have been Sharna's best choreo.  She certainly killed it on the floor and Nick was almost totally right there with her!   The dance was certainly sexy, but I didn't sense any trashy elements.  So much power.  Cool and consistent speed/tempo.  The QS was gorgeous.  I bet Len would have about died watching it.  As good as can be done given the restraints of the show.

I have been quite vocal about the Bindi arc being irritating.  That ended tonight.  I saw her.  Finally.  She really is quite something.  It just took until this episode for her to allow us in.  I've never seen a reaction like the one we got in the ballroom when her freestyle ended.  The audience would typically be screaming and shouting approval, but were so taken aback, they were paralyzed.  Authenticity will do that.  Bindi helped many of us touch a very, very, deep place.  For me, even the jidges finally removed their well-worn masks.  Do y'all know how hard it is to reach folks like Julianne and Bruno in that way?  This was well beyond anything I've seen.  I would have loved to have seen Len's reaction.  I'm thinking his Grinch heart would have about exploded through his chest.  YMMV.

I think Derek is going out with the trophy.  He earned it.

I can't get over the irony that such a horrid season ended with arguably the best Finals.

• Love 3

I thought both of Carlos' dances were not good and was expecting some sort of comment to that effect, but then they raved and gave him perfect scores.  The first dance they just didn't not seem into it at all, and I thought the freestyle just didn't come together as anything very great.  I was glad to see him go.  Nice guy, but kind of annoying, and I find his relationship with his wife rather immature.  I feel if you have to rave on and on about each other that often means things aren't as wonderful as you proclaim, but maybe that is not true here--I have no idea.

I wasn't really thrilled with Nick's freestyle at all.  His jive was good and difficult.  

As for Bindi, I like the girl, but I do think it is somewhat embarrassing how much they compliment her as special and wonderful and the best thing ever.  Those are nice things to say, but it gets to be a bit much.  I didn't really care for the freestyle as I found it unoriginal, and I didn't think the dad reference was needed at the end as she already had a tribute dance to him earlier in the season.  This should be about her and her journey, not about her father, in my opinion.  I just didn't feel wowed by that freestyle.... I have liked past seasons' simple freestyles much better.

I really liked Alek's performances tonight.  He isn't the best dancer, but he did well in both, and I think they both suited him.  I liked their freestyle the best.

• Love 2

With all of the nauseating praise they were pouring on Bindi last night, I was waiting on them to announce that she has found a cure for cancer.   

It is a shame that they have been so over the top about her all season.  I am ready for her to go back to her zoo.  And can she take Golden Boy with her?

The highlight of the season for me has been Alek.  He is an inspiration and a hero.  Tell me again, what exactly has Bindi done??

• Love 1

After reading and finding out about her, I happen to think she sucks as a human being, so that's gonna taint how I view her dancing

This.  Agree with this completely.  Perception taints.  Ain't nothing that can be done to make you love me, if you don't.

For me, this happened with Nick after I watched the BSB Documentary.  What a douche he came off as (to me)...and as much as I wanted to like his freestyle last night for the dance and all the memories the song brought with it, just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it for a second.  

• Love 1

I’m just glad this pathetic season is coming to an end.   This is the LEAST interested I have ever been in DWTS.  This use to be my go to show but it has been slowly going down hill the last few seasons and has surely about reached its end unless they revamp it somehow.  (And at  this point, I am not sure how).

I love Nick’s jive last night.  Loved it.  And my favorite dance of the night was his freestyle it was fun and to me that is what a free style is supposed to be about. But the rest of the dances were non factors for me.   I would like to see Nick win, only because he and Sharna share the only partnership I have enjoyed this season (and that is really what this show is about for me – the connection and the partnership between the “celeb” and the pro).  They have a lovely friendship and I enjoy their dances even if they are not “the best”.

Glad Carlos is gone and Alek is a non entity for me.   I am sure he is a nice guy in “real life” and I know that he is a hero and I thank him for his service to this country.  But beyond that he is just a boring pile of blah to me, especially his dances.

This has been the BINDI season and I am sure she will win.  Her dances are fine but I don’t pay much attention when she dances if I even watch her because the show has shoved her down my throat all season and the judges pandering to her and Derek is typical and expected.  Maybe she is the best dancer there but because of reasons above and her “I LOVE YOU I LOVE LIFE I LOVE EVERYTHING IT IS RAINING PUPPIES AND RAINBOWS” every time she speaks, I just won’t vote for her.

Horrible season – when Nick is out I’m out.  Could not care less who wins (like it won’t be BINDI).

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 2

Could you imagine if Suzy Sunshine doesnt win? I'm actually cracking up at the enevitable outrage if it were to happen. I just hope if she does I never have to see her again and that the show doesn't keep making her visible months from now like they did with Alfonso.

• Love 4

They pretty much talked about Meryl the same way. Saint Meryl. But I didn't mind. I liked the Derek&Bindi freestyle. It was probably the best danced. I think Lindsay had the best freestyle concept. I don't know about the dance cheorgaphy but it was a really cool concept.

Though at the end of the day I'm a sucker for my boys so Nick got my votes. I've adored him half his life. And I especially adore him just letting loose and having fun.

Nick's veneers bug me every time he speaks. But I love the BSB!

Bindi's my girl. She dances superbly and evokes the emotion that stone-cold skater Meryl did not.

As for Steve: Exploitation, schmexploitation. It's part and parcel of DWTS! Vote for the hero! Vote for the redeemed Southern lady! Vote for the brain-damaged actor who's really, really trying! So "vote for the kid with a deceased father" bothers me not one whit. Steve Irwin was a mensch.

• Love 2

Nick's freestyle just reminded me how much of a ringer I assumed him to be because of his BSB, even though the argument has been made that he's not a true ringer because he didn't do that much dancing in his BSB days. I wish Sharna had tried to highlight more of the dance styles that Nick had learned this season. All I saw was "boy band" dancing. It also threw me off to see Val in the mix for Nick's dance - as someone upthread said, Val excels at the dark and moody dances, not the sugary pop boy-band dances. 

Every time someone does a contemporary style dance, Travis Wall's name gets tossed around as though every choreographer has ripped him off. Is it possible that there aren't too many ways to choreograph a contemporary? It's not a very complex dance style, and there's only so many bells and whistles that you can add to make it "unique". Bindi did fine with what Derek choreographed for her, but I would have liked to see something more upbeat and fun.

Bindi was the chosen winner before the season even started, the producers just lucked out in that she does have some dance ability. 

• Love 2

not sure why people think hip hop dancing/ nick's type of dances are easier to do than twirling them around on a dance floor doing a slow dance. The slow dances bore me to tears. I feel that the hip hop/ in sync with each other type of dances are way harder and more entertaining

• Love 1

I ff'ed through to see the actual dancing. I guess I'd be rooting for Alek if I could care enough. I'm guessing his votes are interfering with the planned top 2, hence the rumba. I thought Bindi's freestyle and quickstep were both pretty been there, done that. Same with Nick's freestyle. Alek is not the best dancer left, but I don't think any of them are that great (Bindi would be blown away in past seasons even as the best of this finale). Alek's personable and did something different for his freestyle. I guess that's good enough for this disappointing group.

My issue with the portrayal of Bindi on the show is that it was never about Bindi. I have no idea who Bindi is. It was always media-savvy sound bites about rainbows and unicorns and emotional manipulation about her father. Who is Bindi? I get the impression (based on the first 5 or so episodes before I gave up this season and the little in this episode) that there's not a whole lot there as far as Bindi's personality, which is expected for homeschooled, media trained, child spokespeople. I hope she can capitalize on this and figure out who she is outside of the zoo and her dead father. I think she could be an amazing person when she's allowed to figure out who she is.

The over the top praise for Bindi makes all the crying and praising of Amy Purdy seem moderate in hindsight.

• Love 4

Why is the show having a hard time getting celebrities?

1) They added ballroom/Latin dances where lifts are allowed plus contemporary , and the show has become a lift fest all season, not just the freestyle. So if you are a celebrity who might have some rhythm but don't want to risk injury because of dangerous lifts, you decline.

2) They now showcase your backstory so much, that if you're lead a happy life so far , have all limbs, haven't loss a close family member, haven't been a drug addict, anorexic , been bullied, , etc, etc, you decline because you don't stand a chance.

Just a reminder: if you've expressed your opinion about a dancer a few times (let's say 3), you don't need to keep stating the same thing over and over again. We get it. You do/don't like/dislike him/her. 

Let's keep the conversation flowing and respect the range of opinions.

Thanks!

• Love 3

The way I see it, we're talking about someone who was a "regular military guy" less than 6 months ago and I feel he's trying to keep it that way.  During this season, he had the Oregon shooting in his hometown, one of his friends getting stabbed and (very indirectly) what happened in Paris.  That's a lot to absorb as it is, but all that being highlighted while you're on TV takes it to another level.  I didn't love his freestyle, but I did appreciate the idea and the thought. 

On another note, I missed Nick's package last week before his dance but this is why I'm SO not a fan of "we're going to show this where you have a breakdown and...you won't have any time to compose your thoughts about this, you're on RIGHT AFTER IT!" It's one of the few times I really want them to go to commercial especially if it's going to hit the contestant hard and expect to dance 10 seconds later with that still in their head and they're not given a few minutes to clear their minds. I did tear up at Sharna's "Be with me, I got you."  For an admitted BSB fan (going on the assumption that she really was), that probably meant a LOT to her for say it to someone whose picture she had on her wall.  And all the more reason I'm rooting for them to win.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 1

Someone asked how many dead daddy dances were we subjected to, so here's the answer:

Dead Dad Dances: Jive, Tango, Contemporary, Freestyle

Non Dead Dad Dances: Waltz, Quickstep (Jeffersons), Cha Cha, Rumba, Argentine Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz,

Charleston, Salsa, Jazz, Samba, Quickstep (Bones)

TruthaboutLuv, I admire your determination to talk about facts in the middle of an emotional maelstrom.

• Love 9

More than anything, this season has been about Lindsay Arnold finally getting her due after the producers continued to sleep on her for so many seasons. I have been following her career since her SYTYCD days with Witney, and actually preferred Lindsay back then. I feel it has been long overdue for her to get another shot at being a pro. Glad she's waking people up. Fantastic choreographer, exceptional teacher with still room left for her to grow. I'm beyond excited for her.

This is a great point. I think that Lindsay has done an amazing job with Alek -- let's face it, he's as close to a "normal" non-dancing, non-performer as the show is likely to have, and Lindsay has brought out the best in him. Her job has been much tougher than Witney's first season, as Alfonso was such a great performer and made everything she choreographed look great. I know Lindsay was on briefly with the boxer (can't recall name), but he didn't last long enough for Lindsay's talent to shine. Now next season, let's see what Jenna can bring to the table -- I didn't love her on SYTYCD (though I never understood the vitriol some had), but her dancing and presence in the various bumpers and troop numbers has been outstanding. I want to see what she can do with a celebrity!

I do think Bindi will win, but it will be interesting to see who comes in second and third. I would love a win for Sharna, as she just seems like a sweet person, and I think her choreography has improved over the season. That jive was jam-packed with energy and content, and Nick seemed to super-enjoy performing it. Nick has had a tough time getting out of his head a lot of the time, and I think with Sharna's help, he really did that last night. Nick has always struck me as someone who battles his own demons and sadness quite a bit (and that's been confirmed in the packages about his childhood, etc.); I wasn't a particular BSB fan (too, erm...old? I guess:), so I didn't know a lot of backstory on Nick, but I can't help rooting for him, and he and Sharna have one of those truly lovely partnerships where they seem to respect each other and genuinely enjoy dancing together.

I also think that Derek truly is that moved and inspired by Bindi. I have seen him like partners before of course, but he seems to find dancing with her to be extraordinary. I don't read bullshit in his obvious affection. I do wish Len could have judged their quickstep. I miss Len every week. Overall, it's been a season I've enjoyed a great deal.

• Love 6