Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Always Accountable

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

And that person would be Carol.

Yes. She who can rise to the occasion. Whether you need a tuna cassarole of condolence, a children's lesson in knife wielding, or full-assault guerrilla rescue from cannibals, Carol Peltier is your Renaissance Woman of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Well, that was... an episode. So this group that the doublecrossers came from apparently will kill anything moving. One minute they seem to be plentiful in the burnt out forest, the next, we're doing arm amputation (but keeping the watch because you can't just get a watch anywhere).

...and knowing clock time in this world is a crucial survival skill. Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 11

The thing I still completely don't get-- Daryl finding a sign or something half buried in the dirt pointed him directly to the hidden truck? How? I get that it had the name of the feul company, but how does something buried in the dirt immediately make you search behind those trees and brush over there? Why was it buried there in the first place?

Seems obvious we'll see those 2 again, so rather strange they didn't bother to tell us their names.

Also assume we were purposely not yet shown face of Head Bad Guy (Wade) either because he has a physical characteristic that would ID him as a particular comics character or because the casting is juicy and they want to save the reveal (or both). Just wonder if it turns out that he actually IS a bad guy or not. Only have Daryl's bike-jackers' word for that really.

Don't have a problem with Sasha/Abraham match-up. Came out of nowhere, but they've established that both have recently been in the same headspace, and they just spent some pretty intense one-on-one time together-- I can buy it. And I've assumed that Abe and Rosita haven't really been "together" together since he beat up Eugene, so beyond a bruised ego I doubt she'd be super upset about being officially free from the loose-cannon possibly-suicidal emotion suck Abe has been lately.

Daryl really needs to work on his recruitment skills.

In a world where gasoline is still good after 2 years, I don't really have a problem with unrefrigerated insulin.

[also FierceCritter-- enjoy Angel! I loved that show!]

Edited by klarsonovsky
  • Love 5

I've been chewing over this episode since it aired, trying to decide what I thought of it. I didn't hate it because of Sasha but I didn't enjoy it either. I've long been indifferent to Daryl, Abraham's adventure on the bridge had my eyes rolling and the blonde girl dying on top of two zombies was just ridiculous. Who does that after surviving the initial stages of a Zombie Apocalypse? Basically, when it comes to this one, I've got nothing.

• Love 2

I didn't see this posted above, but with all the confusion about the trio and wth their story is, am I the only one that thought the shrink wrapped bodies was a response to the theft of the medication/ departure of the trio? I thought that's what the brunette was going on about while blondie ran over to the bodies? Their previous group murdered those acquaintances by asphyxiation of baggie. No? No one else thought that's what happened? *sigh*

Hell, I initially thought they had offed themselves via the baggie method- they were laid out so neatly side by side and all.

As if "The world is too terrible, I give up, let's go together."

• Love 3

Kirkman has said repeatedly in interviews that he's not interested in the particulars of how this happened.  I've always taken that as he can't figure it out either and decided to skip ahead to the part of the apocalypse that did interest him.

In retrospect, we all probably could have saved ourselves a lot of trouble and annoyance if we'd remembered that before the premier of FTWD.

This part doesn't bother me.  It makes sense in their universe.  If they didn't know when it all fell apart, then they will never know.

• Love 3

I don't harbor any delusions that the creators of a show are beholden to do what I want when I want it; it's their story to tell, and it's 2015--I can see what I missed at any moment, basically. 

Bravo!

No, we didn't know who left it, but it does bring up an interesting question. If it was someone in Noah's community, how did they have the time? We can probably safely assume the attack on them was like the attack on Alexandria-quick, brutal, and final. We've seen nothing to indicate the Unfair Wolves are in to tagging or advertising in any form beyond their Ws on foreheads.

Actually, we have seen them tag exactly that: "Wolves Not Far."  After Morgan rescues Daryl & Aaron at the Del Arno Foods warehouse ("How the harvest gets home"), the wolves return with the guy in the red poncho, slit his throat, and send him in to wander the yard. Parked inside the yard is a car/minivan with "Wolves Not Far" painted on its side.

Right? This is some interesting shit. If we're going to say there are 2 4 bedroom houses, and 14 people including Judith (minus Noah, plus Morgan), that leaves some people who aren't couples as roomies, and I want to know who they are. I feel like Rick gets his own room. Daryl probably built himself a fort in the backyard to sleep in. Does Carl get his own room? Does Judith? If she is still waking up at night, who gets up with her?

People don't just sleep in bedrooms, though. There might be a den or an office or a playroom, or someone might still be sleeping on a couch. I once had a laundry room that was easily big enough to sleep in. (Sob! I miss that house!) Now I have a "bonus room" which would do for Carl OR Judith (it's within steps of the master bedroom).

I think it was Milton who exposited that walkers decay, but at a much slower rate than normal dead people.  Also I think that a hot enough fire would boil the brains of walkers, but fire might not be hot enough by itself, thus explaining why some charred walkers are dead-dead and some are still walking around.  It all depends on what the fuel feeding the fire was.

Milton suggested that Michonne's pet walkers -- who could no longer eat -- were starving, but at a much slower rate than humans would.

A fellow Revolution survivor?

I would say "Any apocalyptic port in a storm," but then I saw the first 2 minutes of Into The Badlands. Yikes!

In a world where gasoline is still good after 2 years, I don't really have a problem with unrefrigerated insulin.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, so maybe things are different here, but I am currently driving a 1986 Mustang GT that sat in our driveway from sometime in 2011 to August 17th of this year...the gas in that tank was OLD. Battery was deader than dead and the tires needed air, but once those issues were resolved, the car started up like a champ and has been going strong ever since.

You just never know.

And yay, I caught up with the thread!

• Love 1

As for the group Darryl helped them escape from, I think I'm suffering from apocalyptic asshole overload. The last couple seasons have given us the Claimers, Terminus folks, their cannibalistic remnants, The Wolves and now these people. The show needs something more than the Rick gang fending off groups of eeeevil people.

Oh, and I think it's hilarious that Rick's plan is to wait for Abraham, Sasha and Daryl to get back and lead the herd away while Abraham is confident Rick took care of whatever problem Alexandria is facing.

Don't forget Grady Memorial and their kidnapping women to be laundry slaves.

It's like a fucktarded zombie apocalypse Gift of the Magi

Edited by Miral9
  • Love 2

I feel like Abraham's itchy-ass/loose-ends remark was thrown out there for everyone impatient to learn what happened to Glenn.

Poor Glenn. If Maggie wasn't so busy Deanna-sitting, she would have made sure he wore more comfortable underwear. So Glenn was yelling because itchy loose folds of poorly fitted undershorts were adding injury to insult as he tried to get ten zombies and a 190 pound dead albatross off of him? I can accept that. I mean, as explanations of that scene go, it's far from my least favorite...

• Love 6

Yeah, that scene left me *insert scratching head emoji here*.

What?! exactly.

I think a couple of the burned bodies/reanimated heads actually had helmets on - the one that Daryl crashed near and then came back when the found the rig - but the babysat couple looked they were either covered with a tarp-like thing before were burned (which actually prevented them from being burnt-past-reanimation stage).  It was some sort of plastic, I'm guessing.  Question is; why were they covered in plastic before being set on fire?  Also, were they dead before fire was set, or just incapacitated [thus the weird begging for forgiveness bit]??

Had my second watch tonight, and realized that the two female walkers they discovered were supposed to be encased in melted glass from the greenhouse when the fire. That's why there's a serious crunch of broken glass when diabetic girl trips and falls.
  • Love 2

I don't know if I am just way too tired (didn't get much sleep last night), but I felt like nothing made sense tonight. Again. I couldn't keep up with the people Daryl was with - who they were, where they were from, where they were going. Random people they were trying to find and walkers they stumbled upon that they knew. Some bad guys were after them and it went from them filling the woods to being nowhere in sight. Diabetic girl looked like she literally threw herself to her death. The other two turned down a possible safe haven for life on the back of Daryl's bike. (We know they'll turn up again, so he can reclaim that and his bow.)

So much this!! (I'm so late to the party.) My biggest take-away was WOW, that was an awkward and poorly choreographed "fall" by the girl with the blond bob. She looked like she was snuggling between the walkers, the easier to make it for them to feast off of her.

I'm bored. I don't think Abraham deserves that much alone screen time. Daryl, sure -- he's earned it. Abraham just isn't that important to me. But Daryl, sometimes you HAVE TO TALK and explain things! So frustrating!

I was really confused by the fuel truck being given a feminine name, and the whole "hiding it/looking for it" thing. Who hid it? If it was the trio, why couldn't they find it? When did they hide it, despite being stuck with some mean group? It was a mush, and my head is too tired to puzzle it out. Plus, lack of will because I don't care that much.

Like others who posted above, I was also confused about the scene where it seemed they were surrounded in the forest, and a big truck broke through the brush and stopped maybe twenty feet away. But the group was able to turn around and run away... Really odd editing on that one.

As for cars, I find it so funny that the gang picks the most beat-up looking piece of crap for Sasha to drive on this all-important mission. (From an upper-crusty neighborhood that had to be filled with high-end autos, yet.) This is not a nuclear apocalyptic world, where the autos would all be rusted out hulks -- there are plenty of shiny late-model cars sitting around that don't have owners (anymore). I had the same issue with the camper from the early seasons -- there are fancy RVs with all the bells and whistles and comforts just sitting on car lots, waiting to be driven away... But I gather that production doesn't think it would look right, so they have them drive corroded junkers instead.

Maybe I just like clean, shiny things. I love Daryl, but HE NEEDS A BATH and a good scrubbing Silkwood style! (And probably delousing!)

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 8

Given what we've seen, I don't think that a Walker's brain and muscles still operate like human flesh.  They clearly aren't eating enough to keep a human body moving. There's also no reason to say that the bodies are really decomposing because they aren't "dead."  They may become injured, non-essential bits can be torn off but so long as a muscle is attached to a bone, it appears that the limb still moves.  I put it all down to the idea that the zombies aren't human flesh anymore - the bacteria/fungus/mold/whatever has colonized the host completely and replaced human flesh with its own stuff.

That's good enough to move over to the Zombie thread.

I spotted this right off (and I wasn't paying full attention). I don't think this one fits the TD gripe.

Same here; I saw the plate immediately, and I guess I took it for granted everybody else did as well.

Considering there was a zombified driver in the cab, I was guessing:

1. One or more of the PixiePod used to work at the refinery; use of a nickname for a truck sounds like an (ex-?) employee thing.
  2. After the forest fire died down sufficiently, they were coming back to steal the truck.
  3. Unfortunately, ZCabGuy had already beat them to it.

Only question remaining: who covered up the truck?  Not-yet-dead ZCabGuy?  Or somebody else?

A fellow Revolution survivor?

Can anybody be said to have truly survived Revolution, especially after it jumped the shark with the nano shit?

...and knowing clock time in this world is a crucial survival skill.

So far as wilderness skills go, a watch with hands can be more than a watch.

Poor Glenn. If Maggie wasn't so busy Deanna-sitting, she would have made sure he wore more comfortable underwear. So Glenn was yelling because itchy loose folds of poorly fitted undershorts were adding injury to insult as he tried to get ten zombies and a 190 pound dead albatross off of him? I can accept that. I mean, as explanations of that scene go, it's far from my least favorite...

I figured part of Glenn's screaming might have been because he got stabbed by the big-ass knife Nicholas had in his left hand as they fell.

The hand with the knife appeared to be swinging back between Nicholas' body and Glenn. 

If I caught that pig-sticker in my thigh, I'd probably be making some noise too.

• Love 3

Given what we've seen, I don't think that a Walker's brain and muscles still operate like human flesh.  They clearly aren't eating enough to keep a human body moving. There's also no reason to say that the bodies are really decomposing because they aren't "dead."  They may become injured, non-essential bits can be torn off but so long as a muscle is attached to a bone, it appears that the limb still moves.  I put it all down to the idea that the zombies aren't human flesh anymore - the bacteria/fungus/mold/whatever has colonized the host completely and replaced human flesh with its own stuff.

C'mon, I was eating breakfast!!!

• Love 2

As for the group Darryl helped them escape from, I think I'm suffering from apocalyptic asshole overload. The last couple seasons have given us the Claimers, Terminus folks, their cannibalistic remnants, The Wolves and now these people. The show needs something more than the Rick gang fending off groups of eeeevil people.

"Apocalyptic asshole overload". Hee!! :)

You raise a good point though. I would really love to see the gang face a different kind of threat for a change. How about a massive weather event? There was a hint of that when they all took refuge from that storm in a barn shortly after Beth died (I think). I'd like to see more of man vs nature. They're in the south, right? Aren't there some kick ass storms down there sometimes?? Maybe some flooding? Just something to give us a break from shitty humans...

• Love 3
And I've assumed that Abe and Rosita haven't really been "together" together since he beat up Eugene, so beyond a bruised ego I doubt she'd be super upset about being officially free from the loose-cannon possibly-suicidal emotion suck Abe has been lately.

Except they did come together to the first ASZ party. And I just surmised that her crying on the wall last week was supposed to be over him. 

Actually, we have seen them tag exactly that: "Wolves Not Far."  After Morgan rescues Daryl & Aaron at the Del Arno Foods warehouse ("How the harvest gets home"), the wolves return with the guy in the red poncho, slit his throat, and send him in to wander the yard. Parked inside the yard is a car/minivan with "Wolves Not Far" painted on its side.

Oh okay, thank you. I didn't remember that. So maybe I was right, that the Wolves are tagging themselves. 

You raise a good point though. I would really love to see the gang face a different kind of threat for a change. How about a massive weather event? There was a hint of that when they all took refuge from that storm in a barn shortly after Beth died (I think). I'd like to see more of man vs nature. They're in the south, right? Aren't there some kick ass storms down there sometimes?? Maybe some flooding? Just something to give us a break from shitty humans...

Yea, I agree with this. More sickness as well. 

Also, I'd like to see them run into more GOOD humans. There have to be others out there, right? Remember the Vatos? They could hold their own, but they were taking care of grandma. Is it just too late in the game for there to BE any good humans left? I guess ASZ WERE "other good guys" - except, they're just so inept and cowardly. It would be kind of cool if Rick's gang ran into a gang a lot like theirs - hardened, on the defensive, but at the core....good. Maybe we could have a Bizarro episode - like Bizarro Jerry on Seinfeld. 

• Love 7

I loved Milton probably more than I should have, but we really have no idea if any of his theorizing on walker decay and starvation rates was on the mark or he was just making stuff up to make himself look useful.  By his own admission he hadn't been a lab research scientist but a guy who'd been lucky enough to be telecommuting when the shit hit the fan and stayed put.  While I think we were supposed to believe he did come up with the ideas for protective sleeves and pits with noisemakers to draw walkers, he was also the guy who wanted to play flashcards-style memory games with the newly turned Mr. Coleman and wanted to untie him to try to further jog his memory.  

I did appreciate that he was at least trying to study the walkers to figure out how they worked and what worked on them.  And I want "apocalyptic asshole overload" on a tshirt in reference to this show.

• Love 7

More sickness as well. 

Also, I'd like to see them run into more GOOD humans. There have to be others out there, right? Remember the Vatos? They could hold their own, but they were taking care of grandma. Is it just too late in the game for there to BE any good humans left? I guess ASZ WERE "other good guys" - except, they're just so inept and cowardly. It would be kind of cool if Rick's gang ran into a gang a lot like theirs - hardened, on the defensive, but at the core....good.

*face palm* I forgot about the flu!! I really liked that storyline (until they had Carol be all OOC at the end there). I don't know how there aren't more infections and illnesses. What do you do when you have to haul ass and one of your gang is downed with a massive cold or something and is slowing down progress? Everyone just seems unrealistically healthy to me...

I really hope that the show isn't suggesting that only assholes will survive. I've always said that I'd rather be taken out in the first wave of any apocalypse because I would just have no interest in the type of world which would exist after such an event, and this show is really cementing that belief... :D

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

I really loved the premise of the flu storyline and thought we were about to see some new mutation of whatever caused the zombies in the first place.  All the closeups of walkers with bloody runny eyes really did make me think that's where they were going.  But I guess even that would have been too sciencey for them and they dropped it in favor of tossing piglets off the back of a trailer and a half-assed story about knifing sick people.

I'm game for anything at this point that isn't just another round of apocalyptic assholes, lather rinse repeat.

• Love 6

Another boring episode. I didn't care about Daryl's newfound friends at all. Only funny part was when the Justin Bieber-looking girl got bit by the 2 corpses on the ground. LOL!

Nice that Abraham found that military suit, and the box of cigars. Abraham and Sasha will be an interesting couple. Makes me think they are going to pair Rosita up with someone else. Maybe Eugene or Deanna's other son.

• Love 1

As for cars, I find it so funny that the gang picks the most beat-up looking piece of crap for Sasha to drive on this all-important mission. (From an upper-crusty neighborhood that had to be filled with high-end autos, yet.) 

Older cars are less complicated and therefore easier to keep running. With computers in newer cars you need specialized equipment to diagnose problems and fix/bypass them.

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Love 4

"Makes me think they are going to pair Rosita up with someone else. Maybe Eugene or Deanna's other son."

Poor Rosita - pickings are slim at the end of the world.  Myself, I think I'd rather opt for death rather than either of those two.  If those are her only 2 options, I'll bet celibacy will start looking mighty fine.  Heck, Tobin would be a better guy for her than either of those two.

• Love 2

You know, I forgot one of my biggest beefs about this episode: that the car chasing Daryl was apparently filled with stormtroopers. They were so close to him, he's totally exposed (again, motorbikes are fucking stupid), yet he didn't get shot? Fucking seriously?

When he stopped his bike and we saw blood running down his arm, I thought "oh, he WAS shot!" but it looks like he was just grazed. Ugh. If these people are the same chuckleheads who were after the dipshit trio, I don't know why Daryl bothered to hide. He probably could have walked right past them to safety while they shot at him and emerged unscathed... ;)

• Love 7

But Daryl, sometimes you HAVE TO TALK and explain things! So frustrating!

Hear, hear! I was thinking the same thing. That... guy (whoever he was) gave him every opportunity to explain who he is, etc. and he couldn't open his mouth long enough to get out anything other than a few grunts and a feeble "No." He certainly had no trouble talking in the first few seasons. Maybe his tongue has become atrophied from his silence during all Rick's speeches.

• Love 6

"Makes me think they are going to pair Rosita up with someone else. Maybe Eugene or Deanna's other son."

Poor Rosita - pickings are slim at the end of the world.  Myself, I think I'd rather opt for death rather than either of those two.  If those are her only 2 options, I'll bet celibacy will start looking mighty fine.  Heck, Tobin would be a better guy for her than either of those two.

Tobin would certainly be better than either of those clowns but what about Morgan? Or Heath if she'd like younger than Abe for her rebound boyfriend? Or hell, Rick after we get rid of Jessie ... that's gonna happen in the season finale with FPP dying in the process, right? ;)

• Love 1

Hell, I initially thought they had offed themselves via the baggie method- they were laid out so neatly side by side and all.

As if "The world is too terrible, I give up, let's go together."

OK.  So, I thought those two zombies were encased in glass somehow, which is why Blonde Girl wasn't threatened by them, initially.  Then she was startled when they opened their eyes, which made her trip, which made her break the glass and that's how they were able to eat her.  Was I totally off?  They were in baggies?

• Love 1

I'll jump on the bandwagon and ask why Sasha and Abraham had to drive the ugliest car on Earth. I refuse to believe that worn out POS was ever the best choice available for transportation. There have to be Land Rovers, Mercedes and Cadillac SUV's just lying around with functional air conditioning and heated leather seats. It's the apocalypse. Make the most of your vehicle choices.

• Love 2

This far into the ZA the only good people you're likely to run across are the lucky ones who managed to barricade themselves in an out of the way grocery store or well stocked bomb shelter or something, and have only recently had to venture out. More and more travelers are likely to only run into bands of people led by those who are ruthless enough to take what they want. Not necessarily guys like the Governor, because he was trying to maintain a false sense of peace and order, but more like warlord types. The strongest wins. Rick has done as well as he has because he's adopted this philosophy, only where a lot of the bad guys are trying to dominate and control to prove how macho they are he just wants to survive.

At first I thought the two walkers had suffocated themselves (or been suffocated by someone else) with bags over their heads. It wasn't until I came here I started thinking about them being encased in melted glass. But as I remember the scene blondie leaned down to place the flowers, one of them opened their eyes (the camera was on one face, they may both have reacted) and startled her so much she fell down and got grabbed.

And I think Daryl found the truck because he followed the tracks of whoever had hid it there. Since Sasha made a point of reminding Abraham, and the audience, that Daryl was a tracker. Although, Daryl's new friends clearly expected the truck to be at the depot (I completely missed the license plate so again, until I came here I had no idea the truck was Patty) so who moved it and why? Why would you steal a truck full of gas, which would probably be the third most valuable thing after food and ammo, and then just hide it?

Edited by KirkB

I think that by now we should be seeing a bunch of fortified little compound/towns like Alexandria but without so many incompetent idiots. I am envisioning something along the lines of Kevin Costner's The Postman. I'm getting ready to see some sort of rebuilding of society. Along with the death and walkers and baddies and other mishaps encountered by Our Gang.

• Love 4

I'll jump on the bandwagon and ask why Sasha and Abraham had to drive the ugliest car on Earth. I refuse to believe that worn out POS was ever the best choice available for transportation. There have to be Land Rovers, Mercedes and Cadillac SUV's just lying around with functional air conditioning and heated leather seats. It's the apocalypse. Make the most of your vehicle choices.

The worst car ever doesn't even make sense considering that they'd apparently found several car dealerships worth of cars to line the roadsides to create a sort of chute to direct the walkers as they began the merry walker parade out of the quarry and away from the town.    They'd obviously set that up, meaning all of those vehicles were running and mobile.  So why use the beater that looked like the engine light was on every time we got a shot of the interior?  Until this episode I fully expected engine failure to be the thing that officially went wrong and left Sasha and Abraham stranded.

• Love 1

Abraham's character is so cartoonish and OTT to me. But I like him anyway. However, (nerd alert) I just can't get past how much he resembles the barbarians in Clash of Clans. In fact I call the barbs "little Abrahams". I think though that if he keeps wearing his new uniform I can replace the barbarian image. What is that uniform anyways?

• Love 2

My questions and 2 cents 

1.  why when Daryl avoided the car on the road, he continues into the woods instead of going back to get S & A?

2.  He was pushing the bike and even fell over.  So wasn't it out of gas?  But kidnapper dude starts it right up.

3.  I too thought Abraham was on the roof and wondered what the hell a vehicle was doing up there.  That whole yelling at the zombie was stupid

4. Sasha's real life hubby is  back in town.  No Abe. 

5. How do these 'bad guys' drive a big truck into the middle of the woods AND make no noise.  Then slip away into the night.

6.  I think the kidnapper is on the radio and is going to lure Daryl and crew somewhere.  I think the show wants to keep everyone apart still.

I don't find this season very compelling.  the whole summer before season 5 I wondered how where they going to escape the train car and what was up with the Termites.  This summer I didn't really care.  I was bored with the premiere (ok lots of zombies but...) Carol and the wolves were exciting.  The only part of 3 that was good was what the hell happened with Glenn and how come no one can cover themselves with zombie guts anymore?    I liked learning about Morgan but not right then.   Rick and Jessie  bleh!!!

• Love 2

The people Daryl met were the worst. This guy saves your life and you leave him stranded without weapons after he tells you he can provide a safe place? Good luck.

Daryl telling them he's from a civilised safe settlement which is just like the world used to be, all whilst looking like he's been living up a tree for 6 months made me laugh. I honestly think it would've gone totally differently if he'd had that bath!

• Love 14

The worst car ever doesn't even make sense considering that they'd apparently found several car dealerships worth of cars to line the roadsides to create a sort of chute to direct the walkers as they began the merry walker parade out of the quarry and away from the town.    They'd obviously set that up, meaning all of those vehicles were running and mobile.  So why use the beater that looked like the engine light was on every time we got a shot of the interior?  Until this episode I fully expected engine failure to be the thing that officially went wrong and left Sasha and Abraham stranded.

Abe could have, perhaps, taken the damn army HUMVEE to drive?  I was screaming at the TV, "DRIVE THE HUMVEE BACK DUMBASS!". Instead he he packs 100 pounds of gear back on foot...

Seems like a better choice than a 1974 Impala.  At least "The Last Man on Earth" takes the best of everything available for himself...

Edited by ChipBach
  • Love 5

there are plenty of shiny late-model cars sitting around that don't have owners (anymore). I had the same issue with the camper from the early seasons -- there are fancy RVs with all the bells and whistles and comforts just sitting on car lots, waiting to be driven away... But I gather that production doesn't think it would look right, so they have them drive corroded junkers instead.

A couple of years ago the show was an ad for the best and shiniest new cars, SUVs etc... with all of the product placement.  And all of those vehicles, unrealistically, had not a single scratch or a trace of mud on them - probably per contract.  They took me out of the episodes.  They didn't fit in with an apocalypse.  Sasha and Abraham's car may be a piece of shit - but it does fit in with the general decor.

• Love 2

As for cars, I find it so funny that the gang picks the most beat-up looking piece of crap for Sasha to drive on this all-important mission. (From an upper-crusty neighborhood that had to be filled with high-end autos, yet.) This is not a nuclear apocalyptic world, where the autos would all be rusted out hulks -- there are plenty of shiny late-model cars sitting around that don't have owners (anymore). I had the same issue with the camper from the early seasons -- there are fancy RVs with all the bells and whistles and comforts just sitting on car lots, waiting to be driven away... But I gather that production doesn't think it would look right, so they have them drive corroded junkers instead.

Putting aesthetics aside, newer cars would eventually become the less reliable option in an apocalypse.  Over the last decade or so, they have computerized newer models to the point that even people adept at fixing cars (i.e. former mechanics) can't repair a newer model with the same exact problem as an older model because they need tools and parts for the latter and tools, parts, computer, and computer program for the former for a number of systems.

Same thing with RV's and trailers.  You can argue that they stick with more cars than homes on wheels because they are more maneuverable and more fuel efficient.  There is no reason to have.a house on wheels if every building is abandoned and you can move to another one that can be made defensible, especially if you have to find usable gas more often and risk abandoning it over a traffic jam or downed tree because it can't go offroad as easily.

• Love 2
And I think Daryl found the truck because he followed the tracks of whoever had hid it there. Since Sasha made a point of reminding Abraham, and the audience, that Daryl was a tracker. Although, Daryl's new friends clearly expected the truck to be at the depot (I completely missed the license plate so again, until I came here I had no idea the truck was Patty) so who moved it and why? Why would you steal a truck full of gas, which would probably be the third most valuable thing after food and ammo, and then just hide it?

I wondered if something else happened, because there was a walker in the front seat of the truck, so I'm guessing whoever it was, they died or were killed in the truck before they got a chance to do whatever it was they were going to do and then turned. I just couldn't think of a scenario that would explain the person being killed but the truck still being there, so maybe the person died naturally or from being bitten.

They wanted a crappy car because it would be louder, and so maybe attract more walkers?

Abe could have, perhaps, taken the damn army HUMVEE to drive?  I was screaming at the TV, "DRIVE THE HUMVEE BACK DUMBASS!". Instead he he packs 100 pounds of gear back on foot...

But a humvee is not the most gas efficient and probably would be a bit conspicuous, so he would've had to ditch it away from their location anyway I would think. Besides Abraham seemed like he had some energy he needed to burn off, so he probably didn't mind a little exercise.

OK.  So, I thought those two zombies were encased in glass somehow, which is why Blonde Girl wasn't threatened by them, initially.  Then she was startled when they opened their eyes, which made her trip, which made her break the glass and that's how they were able to eat her.  Was I totally off?  They were in baggies?

No, it was glass.  Purely supposition on my part, but I think it went something like this:

1. Most "greenhouse kits" consist of large glass panes with a very light aluminum frame.
  2. When the forest fire broke out, two people were trapped in the greenhouse.
  3. The two people succumbed to heat and/or smoke, and died in the greenhouse.
  4. As the forest fire heat grew, the aluminum frame (supporting its own weight and that of the glass) buckled - but slowly enough for the glass roof to come down on top of the bodies gently enough not to break.
  5. The heat continued to climb to the point where the glass went elastic and settled on top of the bodies in a form-fitted manner.
  6. The bodies didn't "turn" until the glass had cooled off enough to return to a rigid state, effectively encasing them in a glass body cast.

The melted/re-solidified glass was probably thin enough for any point-focused pressure to result in immediate shattering; from a prone position pressed flat on their backs, however, the newly-turned walkers probably wouldn't have had enough leverage to crack their rigid glass encasement.  They could do nothing but lay still and wait for some dumbass stupid ZPDG to show up, fall down, and break the glass for them.

Post-ZA camouflage. 

You're wanting to scout around, but you don't want someone ripping off your ride when you're away from it.

In a world full of abandoned high-dollar rides, you think anyone is going to look at this sorry-ass piece of shit on the side of the road and think, "Uh-oh - strangers about"...?

Seems like a better choice than a 1974 Impala.  At least "The Last Man on Earth" takes the best of everything available for himself...

Call it a hunch - but in a world where the only gasoline (magic or not) which exists is the gas you can scavenge, switching to a vehicle which gets about 8mpg highway / 4mpg city might not be the best of all possible ideas....

• Love 5

A couple of years ago the show was an ad for the best and shiniest new cars, SUVs etc... with all of the product placement.  And all of those vehicles, unrealistically, had not a single scratch or a trace of mud on them - probably per contract.  They took me out of the episodes.  They didn't fit in with an apocalypse.  

Samantha: Nice car.

Danny Mason Keener: (Driving gorgeous Mercedes convertible) Thanks. I have twenty-three of them.

--Night of the Comet (1984)

• Love 6

Daryl telling them he's from a civilised safe settlement which is just like the world used to be, all whilst looking like he's been living up a tree for 6 months made me laugh.

No kidding! I was imagining them thinking that if he's a product of this heavenly place, they'll take their chances in the woods.

• Love 2
Daryl telling them he's from a civilised safe settlement which is just like the world used to be, all whilst looking like he's been living up a tree for 6 months made me laugh. I honestly think it would've gone totally differently if he'd had that bath!

Very good point! Aaron should have made some stipulations before sending Daryl out as a recruiter:

1. You must bathe. 

2. You must cut your hair.

3. No leather in the dead of summer. 

4. Only eat squirrels in private.

• Love 7

Very good point! Aaron should have made some stipulations before sending Daryl out as a recruiter:

1. You must bathe. 

2. You must cut your hair.

3. No leather in the dead of summer. 

4. Only eat squirrels in private.

Reminds me of Rick's comment back in Season 2, after Andrea had shot Daryl. They were helping him back to the farm. Rick saw the string of ears. To no one in particular but to everyone there, he said, "We won't mention those."

• Love 9

Wasn't that the point where members of our gang went all squinty-eyed trying to figure out whether he was in fact Daryl and not a walker?  That should have been a clue for what was to come.  Granted they were all still pretty dumb then, but if people who have known and lived with you for awhile can't tell whether or not you've become a rotting corpse there's your sign that your personal hygiene probably needs attending to.

Yet here we are four seasons later where they have regular access to clean clothes and showers and he's actually filthier and greasier looking.

• Love 9
Wasn't that the point where members of our gang went all squinty-eyed trying to figure out whether he was in fact Daryl and not a walker?  That should have been a clue for what was to come.  Granted they were all still pretty dumb then, but if people who have known and lived with you for awhile can't tell whether or not you've become a rotting corpse there's your sign that your personal hygiene probably needs attending to.

Well, to be fair, Daryl looked particularly bad then because of the fact that he'd just been thrown by a horse, fallen down a cliff (twice), and been impaled by his own arrow. But overall, I think he looked a lot cleaner in the first few seasons. Yes, his clothes would be dirty, but so were everyone else's. But with the shorter, lighter hair, he didn't look quite so bad. Now he looks like he's been coated in grease and has some sort of skin disease that makes him want to keep his arms covered at all times. 

I can never tell what time of year it is with these people, because you'll have Sasha in a tank top and Daryl in ten lbs of leather. I get sweaty just looking at him. 

• Love 2

True.  I still think it's funny.  Just like I think it's funny that he somehow still looked cleaner then even after all that than he does now.

Now he perpetually looks like he stopped off somewhere to dip himself from head to foot in vaseline or maybe the big vat of opossum fat he probably keeps in the garage.

• Love 3

I figured they took that particular car because it had the loudest engine and would attract the walkers the most, especially paired with Daryl's bike.  I'm sure they checked out the engine as much as possible to be sure it wasn't going to break down before they got 20 miles out and back. 

Well, to be fair, Daryl looked particularly bad then because of the fact that he'd just been thrown by a horse, fallen down a cliff (twice), and been impaled by his own arrow. But overall, I think he looked a lot cleaner in the first few seasons. Yes, his clothes would be dirty, but so were everyone else's. But with the shorter, lighter hair, he didn't look quite so bad. Now he looks like he's been coated in grease and has some sort of skin disease that makes him want to keep his arms covered at all times.

I can never tell what time of year it is with these people, because you'll have Sasha in a tank top and Daryl in ten lbs of leather. I get sweaty just looking at him.

The clothes on this show always confuse me too. Georgia is hot most of the year so I don't understand why half the people are dressed for winter and other half for summer. Michonne and Maggie's tight pants bother me too. The last thing I would want to be wearing when it's 90 degrees outside is skinny jeans. I'll be wearing some comfy cargo shorts when the ZA hits here in Florida.

• Love 4

You know, I forgot one of my biggest beefs about this episode: that the car chasing Daryl was apparently filled with stormtroopers. They were so close to him, he's totally exposed (again, motorbikes are fucking stupid), yet he didn't get shot? Fucking seriously?

When he stopped his bike and we saw blood running down his arm, I thought "oh, he WAS shot!" but it looks like he was just grazed. Ugh. If these people are the same chuckleheads who were after the dipshit trio, I don't know why Daryl bothered to hide. He probably could have walked right past them to safety while they shot at him and emerged unscathed... ;)

Hmm, I don't think that Daryl was shot at all, rather he laid his bike down -- as motorcyclists are wont to do -- and tore up the sleeve of his jacket to the point his left arm was bloodied from contact with the road/ground.

• Love 1