Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Maiden Quest

I couldn't believe the sweeping under the rug of Emily's murders, and it being treated like Girl Power or some shit. WHAT? She killed two people/Wesen. They didn't seem evil or anything, just caught up in this ritual.
Count me in with those who just can't with the Nick/Adalind romcom. I've always liked Adalind as a villan. I think CC does a good job bringing humor to the role. I don't like defanged, helpless Adalind. I'm hoping she's secretly up to something. And I don't think Nick would be so willing to forgive just because it's his baby. She's done a lot of shit personally to him and those close to him.
I also miss the Grimmabago. The Wesen myths and the badass weapons were my favorite part of the show.

• Love 1

I don't think the daughter was protecting the man who killed her brother, she was more preventing herself from ending up in a marriage she didn't want. It was strange that she killed suitor #2, looked like they had a "thing."

• Love 1

Or put him in wesen daycare, maybe one run by Bud's wife.

This.   WHy aren't they calling Bud for help when the baby cries?   He knows Adalind was pregnant.   He is a father himself.   Much better than calling childless Rosalee.    But, I guess you can't call a MAN for help with a baby.   That's women stuff.    I'm starting to agree the writers don't know how to write women characters.   They are just there to be "girlfriend/suzy homemaker" even when they have jobs.   Like Juliette being a vet, but we really only saw her taking care of Nick and cooking for him.   Now Adalind who was a pretty high powered lawyer just hangs around all scared and needing a man to take care of her.   Even Rosalee, sure she runs a business, but last week got all soft over sick kids who were shoplifting from her and this week is the font of all baby wisdom.   If they do write them bad ass, they go off the deep end.   Kelly who doesn't give a damn about her son and leaves him when he was a kid to go off to kill Wesen.   When she does come back it's all kick ass and take off for more adventures.   Juliette finally gets something to do besides cook for Nick and she tries to have him shoot his best friend because "cool I can do that."   There's a happy medium here folks.

• Love 8

I couldn't believe the sweeping under the rug of Emily's murders, and it being treated like Girl Power or some shit. WHAT? She killed two people/Wesen. They didn't seem evil or anything, just caught up in this ritual.

Count me in with those who just can't with the Nick/Adalind romcom. I've always liked Adalind as a villan. I think CC does a good job bringing humor to the role. I don't like defanged, helpless Adalind. I'm hoping she's secretly up to something. And I don't think Nick would be so willing to forgive just because it's his baby. She's done a lot of shit personally to him and those close to him.

I also miss the Grimmabago. The Wesen myths and the badass weapons were my favorite part of the show.

I posted something similar in the writing thread.  Wesen have gotten away with crimes in the past, but this one takes the cake.  Nick is letting a serial murderer off the hook.  What's to stop her doing it again?  She may be sociopathic, and she may have been the one to have put the hit on her own brother so she could take the reins from her father.  It was mentioned that it was not Frankie but one of his henchmen who killed him. 

About little Kelly's daycare, I don't think just any daycare will do, since Nick and Adalind are mega-worried about his safety.  It has to be someone in the know, totally trustworthy, with some some sort of extra-human powers. That's why Rosalee makes sense, but it will tie her down too much, and I don't think they will do that.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out, Adalind could take him to work but what happens when she has to go to court/outside the office?

Holy crap...he gave her a credit card? I mean, isn't he, like, a civil servant and isn't she, like, a lawyer who supposedly anyone would hire at the drop of a hat?

He gave her that credit card last week after they moved into the paint factory so she could buy groceries and supplies for Kelly. At the time, I was like damn, for a cop Nick sure seems to have a lot of money! But I fanwanked that the factory cost a lot less than he got from selling the house. I still think she should go back to work because she obviously feels weird being financially dependent on him (which she should - it IS weird when a guy who you have attacked several times, raped, and generally hated says, "Hey, go buy done new clothes - it's on me!").

• Love 2

According to Grimm Wiki, Weten Ogen is Dutch for "knowing eyes" and the creature was lynx-like.  I remember the feather #3 guy as a wimpy guy on either "The Closer" or "Major Crimes" who killed his father's second family.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 1

He gave her that credit card last week after they moved into the paint factory so she could buy groceries and supplies for Kelly. At the time, I was like damn, for a cop Nick sure seems to have a lot of money! But I fanwanked that the factory cost a lot less than he got from selling the house. I still think she should go back to work because she obviously feels weird being financially dependent on him (which she should - it IS weird when a guy who you have attacked several times, raped, and generally hated says, "Hey, go buy done new clothes - it's on me!").

I honestly can't remember the last time we saw Adalind with a job, who knows what her savings are like. Nick giving her a card to buy stuff for her and Kelly doesn't seem that out of order.

With regards to Nick not picking up his bed an walking it into the Clearly Big Enough room (why didn't they just make it a tiny 2-room space of closet-sized rooms to fit this plot instead of a whole frickin' sound stage???)

I am assuming the writers are planning future fight scenes in the space and wanted it big enough for that down the line. Tiny 2-room closet space makes sense for a secretish hideout, but not if you want to bust up the joint later in a bigass throwdown.

I'm still infuriated at the Nick and Adalind relatively calm around each other. I really need to see him either more traumatized or...something. Anything. I mean, I know he's dealt with boatloads of shit before so maybe they're trying to imply some sort of epic compartmentalization skills, or maybe they're going to go the road of he always kinda sorta had the hots for her all along, but this goofy, whoever say Lifetime, bullshitty, they're clearly headed towards is insulting to my intelligence. I'm thisclose to not watching anymore anyway, except now they've got me all wanting to know how the hell they'll resolve the Teresa plot. That said I'm sure it'll disappoint and/or infuriate me too. But unless they throw in some throwaway line about Adalind that's meant to imply they really are rewriting history and want us to ignore certain past events (like the other daughter on Family Matters disappearing into thin air), until the explicitly contradict themselves so I know they're handwaving some things away on purpose, this plot makes me want to vomit. Don't try to make me sympathize with a rapist, show. I flat out refuse.

A smart reboot would've made this the Nick/Teresa/Monroe/Rosalee/Wu/Hank/Renard show and pretend nobody else ever existed. What they're doing now is a fucking mess.

• Love 4

I honestly can't remember the last time we saw Adalind with a job, who knows what her savings are like. Nick giving her a card to buy stuff for her and Kelly doesn't seem that out of order.

Season 2....pregnant and working for the royals. THAT is the last time Adalind ever had a job.

A smart reboot would've made this the Nick/Teresa/Monroe/Rosalee/Wu/Hank/Renard show and pretend nobody else ever existed. What they're doing now is a fucking mess.

Agree completely!  Juliette is "gone" (yeah, right)...they could have gotten rid of Adalind easily enough...and, frankly, "single dad Nick" wouldn't have been a terrible plot twist.  It is still worse than the "no baby was ever involved" plot, but a hell of a lot better than "Nadalind." So...the two most troublesome characters are gone so they could refocus the show.

But, noooooo.......

• Love 3

Seriously, they had their chance: kill the baby and Adalind in childbirth. Reboot. Done. But they didn't. Nothing against Claire Coffee but there was an out and the producers didn't take it. Instead it's Days of our Secret Warehouses up in here. (or The Young and the Wesen...All My Zauberbiests...I shan't go on.)

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 7

Always great to see Brendan Fehr too. Roswell!

??? Bachelor #2 looked a little like him, but is a different actor.

BTW, I wonder if they ever considered naming the episode "The Bachelorette," heh.

I remember the feather #3 guy as a wimpy guy on either "The Closer" or "Major Crimes" who killed his father's second family.

Thanks! I couldn't remember and didn't look him up. Now I see it's 3.1 of The Closer.
  • Love 1

Having hated her until now, I am quite surprised to find myself being totally fine with the retcon because I really like Adaline and Nick, way more than I ever did when he was with Juliette. Perhaps this new version of her is reminding me of Nadine, the sweet character Claire played on General Hospital years ago, who was written off the show too soon.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 2

I have realized that with some shows, you just have to pretend stuff didn't happen -- in this case, most of all four previous seasons.  Adalind isn't an ineffective evil sort who raped Nick -- she's just a de-powered hexenbiest looking for love.  If I can hold that in the back of my mind, I can deal with the Nick and Adalind "romance" -- even with her forgeting her pants when she puts on Nick's shirt, because of course she does.

I miss them going to the trailer to look stuff up. I guess the writers burned it up because they got tired of working it in?

I believe that the land they had the trailer on was sold, and they couldn't find another spot.  I can't find confirmation, though.

• Love 2

I believe that the land they had the trailer on was sold, and they couldn't find another spot.  I can't find confirmation, though.

Still, they could have had Nick get there in time to salvage much of it, or they could have had Wu taking pictures with his phone while he was spending time reading up on Grimm and Wessenology. Either of those would have potentially made less information available without totally destroying that source, which could have made for interesting plot points. Like, maybe Monroe on the phone to Nick,looking at a burned fragment stored at Monroesalee House saying, "Rats! No pun intended, Nick, but the part that showed the length of this particular Rattenbiest's tale is missing." It seems they voted in cute baby and Adalind wardrobe malfunction scenes at the expense of Wessen research scenes. Oh well, maybe they will yet realize that they can have Wu whip out his phone and announce, "You know, I think I might have snapped a picture of that page and posted it in my cloud before the trailer burned down."
  • Love 1

There was another daughter on Family Matters?

I don't see a romance between Nick and Adalind, I see two people who are awkward around each other for obvious reasons cohabitating because they share a child. I get going for humor but the scene with the baby and rice was out of place. It's too early, Nick and Adalind need to deal with their history before anything else. Once that's dealt with they can evolve. All that being said, I enjoy watching Nick and Adalind together so the more scenes the better for me but the characters aren't at the point where they should be hugging it out.

I still think Nick hasn't fully dealt with his grief because he's distracted with everything else. I also get the sense that he doesn't want to deal right now. I expect he will break at some point, right now he's in Grimm mode.

Trubel looked beat up but I'm still wondering how she found Nick ?

Loved the scene with Monroe and Rosalee listening to music having a nice dinner. I assume that letter Rosalee got will somehow play into future episodes. I remember she had a substance abuse problem in the past but I can't remember the details hence her reference to that part of her life.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 1

As always, Rosalee and Monroe are awesome. I am so paranoid that something is going to happen to one of them that even the littlest things make me afraid (like Monroe saying he'd be gone for an hour).

I know! They need to stay together at all times. 

Having hated her until now, I am quite surprised to find myself being totally fine with the retcon because I really like Adaline and Nick, way more than I ever did when he was with Juliette. Perhaps this new version of her is reminding me of Nadine, the sweet character Claire played on General Hospital years ago, who was written off the show too soon.

I'm okay with it too. Juliette was a snooze. 

Juliette was a snooze.

They actually had her asleep/unconscious for an entire season! I'm still mad that they made her vet with no pets (maybe a little Schnauzer who would bark at Bud and other Wessen) and that not once did she get to remove a thorn from a grumpy Wessen's paw and have him be grateful!

I prefer Claire Coffee's acting, but her plots haven't done much to make use of her talents either.

Grumble grumble.

At least Truble's back.

Give me a reveal that she and Nick are half siblings, please. Then she can be Kelly's aunt.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Nick said she couldn't be prosecuted but she technically killed them saving someone's life or something to that effect.

Not really his call. Three murders? I don't think any police department gives their officers THAT much discretion.

• Love 2

I'm still mad that they made her vet with no pets (maybe a little Schnauzer who would bark at Bud and other Wessen)

If I were Adalind, cooped up in the fortress all day with a baby, instead of a new wardrobe, I'd ask Nick for a dog. Probably a well-trained German Shepherd.  Or a sweet rescue Pittie that most folks would be afraid of. (They CAN be really sweet dogs.)

• Love 3

What really happened: The lot where they (the production team) had the trailer parked was sold and they are now building condos, I think, there

What happened in the show:  Nick moved the trailer to keep it safe (oops!).  He said that he had moved it every so often--when really he had just moved it from his house to the storage yard and then from the storage yard to the forest, but whatevs....

It cracked me up when Wu said that Frankie's girlfriend called 911 from a burger joint down the street; just prior, Frankie refused her request to go for burgers because she was putting on weight. So then she ran away when he was attacked, went for burgers anyway because Fuck that, and then called. Hilarity.

• Love 2

I know Adalind wants to do right by this baby unlike her previous one but I can't wait for her to get her job back. I am just waiting for her to get out of that apartment and do something. 

Yes, Adalind does need to do something other than just mope around the house with a baby. I also can't wait till she goes back to work and I hope it's soon. 

• Love 2

I thought the main reason they couldn't/didn't arrest the woman for the murders was that they had absolutely no evidence. Frankie couldn't identify her. Everything linking her to the case was Wesen in nature. What could they have said to explain her motive and what the witness saw? They could execute a search warrant on her home and never find the "animal costume" he saw. Would any animal hairs at the scene have her human DNA? None of the bite or claw marks on the victims would have matched her. Any jury would laugh if you brought that woman into a courtroom and said she knocked down those full-size men and ripped their throats out with her teeth. It was like with that bank robbery case a couple of seasons ago -- they had to find "normal" evidence to link to those people because them using their Wesen faces would make it impossible for them to be identified in any normal way.

I think they were just rationalizing it to themselves that she was saving a life when they were realizing there was nothing they could do to her.

• Love 5

I thought the main reason they couldn't/didn't arrest the woman for the murders was that they had absolutely no evidence. Frankie couldn't identify her. Everything linking her to the case was Wesen in nature. What could they have said to explain her motive and what the witness saw? They could execute a search warrant on her home and never find the "animal costume" he saw. Would any animal hairs at the scene have her human DNA? None of the bite or claw marks on the victims would have matched her. Any jury would laugh if you brought that woman into a courtroom and said she knocked down those full-size men and ripped their throats out with her teeth. It was like with that bank robbery case a couple of seasons ago -- they had to find "normal" evidence to link to those people because them using their Wesen faces would make it impossible for them to be identified in any normal way.

I think they were just rationalizing it to themselves that she was saving a life when they were realizing there was nothing they could do to her.

That could be one theory but personally I do think that it's time to introduce a parallel Wesen court system. Maybe the Wesen council can be the judges and have their own version of a trail jury, with the juries being all Wesen. Although, Frankie was pretty far gone by the end of the episode and would've made a crappy witness. 

• Love 2

That's how I understood it too.

Plus, the guys she killed were murderers, so she saved the tax payers money in trials and jailing--if you want to monetize the results.

Maybe they should have had Nick threaten to cut off her head if he heard any more reports of her MO.

Edited by shapeshifter

Actually that would be interesting.   Because the MaidenQuest is traditional, like the Bears all the way back in Season 1, episode 2.   Because it's traditional, is it acceptable in Wesen society and a Wesen Court would acquit them?   Or would the Wesen Council rule you must move with the times to protect the secret?

So much more to explore in this parallel life to regular humans.   But what do we get?   Adalind and Nick trying to cook dinner and care for a crying baby.

• Love 5

Actually that would be interesting.   Because the MaidenQuest is traditional, like the Bears all the way back in Season 1, episode 2.   Because it's traditional, is it acceptable in Wesen society and a Wesen Court would acquit them?   Or would the Wesen Council rule you must move with the times to protect the secret?

So much more to explore in this parallel life to regular humans.   But what do we get?   Adalind and Nick trying to cook dinner and care for a crying baby.

I could not agree more.  There is so much they could mine that would be infinitely more interesting than their godawful rapemance. 

I'm not happy with the outcome of this case, nor last week's.  Nick is no longer a good cop.  If there's no credible evidence against Emily, what have they got on the old man for ordering the hit?  The same reasoning should apply to him. 

• Love 2
If there's no credible evidence against Emily, what have they got on the old man for ordering the hit?

But even if he was ordering the hit as part of a Wesen ritual, he used human methods to do it. Frankie was attacked by people who worked for the old man, and the old man had motive. They may or may not get an indictment, but they had enough to make an arrest. The third guy lived, didn't he? He could testify, and it sounded like he wasn't all that happy about what he was being forced to do. The hit looked like ordinary mob business, nothing weird about it. It was only the killings of the hitmen by a person in an animal costume that couldn't be traced to any particular person.

• Love 1

"I believe that the land they had the trailer on was sold, and they couldn't find another spot.  I can't find confirmation, though."

The first storage spot next to the railroad tracks, in Portland, was sold for a condo construction project about a year ago so they hypothetically moved it to an acre of forest land that he purchased - which is really a forested city park with a disk golf course and a dog park in far north Portland. Luckily they saved some of the books and keep them in the basement. Apparently Grimm is still filming scenes in that park though.

Also - that door in the tunnel under their factory house seems like it has to have a dragon (or giant rat) living behind the door that won't open

Edited by ottilie

They actually had her asleep/unconscious for an entire season!

No; Juliet was scratched by an ensorcelled Majique in S1's finale, but was awoken in "The Kiss" (202). The story felt like it was a season-long one, but Juliet wasn't asleep/unconscious for that long.

I didn't get why Amos, the surviving "questor", didn't use as an excuse that he was gay? Why not tell the cops that want to hang a murder rap on you that instead of your mom made you do the quest? I was waiting to hear him tell the guys that and put a crimp in their theories, but it didn't come or I missed it.

Can we get a Hank and Wu spin-off? I'd watch these two navigate law enforcement in Wesen Central. Monroe and Rosalee are supporting cast and Bud's more recurring. Then we get Teresa as a special guest to help with the more unruly cases or ones that dip into the Federal jurisdiction, as she's an agent of the FBI and Josh is a successful IT guy who fixes bikes on the side. He and Monroe and talk repairs when Teresa comes to town.

Alas, we won't because this is the reboot we have been given. 

I am glad that Portland has such gorgeous scenery and architecture.

I wish there was more color in the fortress because the green and brown of the playpen Monroe built for Kelly would be nice as a pop of color, but I may have missed it in the oversell of only one bathroom in a building that was formerly a paint factory. ( I doubt that would be feasible even in the pre-OSHA days.) By the way, has anyone caught the entry code Nick typed in? It was briefly re-shown in the previouslies.

• Love 2

But even if he was ordering the hit as part of a Wesen ritual, he used human methods to do it. Frankie was attacked by people who worked for the old man, and the old man had motive. They may or may not get an indictment, but they had enough to make an arrest. The third guy lived, didn't he? He could testify, and it sounded like he wasn't all that happy about what he was being forced to do. The hit looked like ordinary mob business, nothing weird about it. It was only the killings of the hitmen by a person in an animal costume that couldn't be traced to any particular person.

I don't think they had probable cause for an arrest on the spot, and the third guy would be super unlikely to testify.  He's beating a path out of Portland lickety split. He doesn't want to end up dead for testifying against the don, who can also threaten his mother. The other two conspirators are dead.  That's what Renard would be telling them, if only they'd asked.  Oooh, I just had a thought, is Adalind going to become the go-to defense attorney for Portland's most unsavory criminals? 

I don't think they had probable cause for an arrest on the spot, and the third guy would be super unlikely to testify.  He's beating a path out of Portland lickety split. He doesn't want to end up dead for testifying against the don, who can also threaten his mother. The other two conspirators are dead.  That's what Renard would be telling them, if only they'd asked.  Oooh, I just had a thought, is Adalind going to become the go-to defense attorney for Portland's most unsavory criminals? 

That was Adalind's original job before she moved on to something else which was discussed during her dinner in S1 with Nick, Hank and Juliette.

• Love 1

Maybe Adalind's previous job percolated up from the recesses of my memory but I doubt it, so thanks Darklazr. I think her wanting to go back to work, plus Wesen uprising, throw in a mob family and maybe the cozy domestic snoozer is about to blow up into something interesting.

I think the most pressing matter at the moment is Adalind needing to swing by Planned Parenthood and get some damn birth control.

A full hysterectomy including both ovaries removed during her C-section would have done the trick!

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 1

A full hysterectomy including both ovaries removed during her C-section would have done the trick!

She could have had her tubes tied during the C section.  She didn't, I'm sure, because the C-section was not planned (usually that happens only happens with planned C-sections) and because babies are Adalind's preferred form of currency.  She used the first one to get her powers back and the second one to get a guy to take care of her every need.

Okay, that's it.  Bye-bye.  I've been here since the beginning, but I pulled the plug when Louann was cute as a virgin button in the boyfriend shirt, followed by Gomer seeing his first bra.  Shazaam. 

I feel some regret because (reading here) the daughter/killer-wesen was a nice twist and I love T. Rubel, but really, how long before Nick and Adalind go out to dinner for the first time without the baby and spend the whole evening fretting?  Sitcom Grimm makes my teeth hurt.

• Love 3

Okay, that's it.  Bye-bye.  I've been here since the beginning, but I pulled the plug when Louann was cute as a virgin button in the boyfriend shirt, followed by Gomer seeing his first bra.  Shazaam. 

I feel some regret because (reading here) the daughter/killer-wesen was a nice twist and I love T. Rubel, but really, how long before Nick and Adalind go out to dinner for the first time without the baby and spend the whole evening fretting?  Sitcom Grimm makes my teeth hurt.

Sorry to see you go, but I totally understand.  I gave up after episode 2 (but I still come here for the recaps and the snark..and the hope that this show might get its act together).

• Love 2

Sorry to see you go, but I totally understand. I gave up after episode 2 (but I still come here for the recaps and the snark..and the hope that this show might get its act together).

I quit 2 other scifi shows this season that were in their 4th and 5th seasons. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't still be watching if a) it was on a night when I sometimes work, or b) if it was on a network I have to stream to see.

But I do like all of the main cast members, if not their characters.

*Sigh* even the character of Portland Scenery is not as vibrant as it was in the pilot.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Sad to see you go but I can understand. The whole Nick's and Adalind is getting to a point where I start to can't stand it. I do want to see this season out, and eventually, I hope that the writers would listen and just cut out the whole Nick and Adalind's home life to a bare minimum of say, zero scenes. It's upsetting to see someone like Adalind act out of character and to see Nick just being fine with the whole set up. I get that they have a kid together, but it's annoying the hell out of me seeing these two play so nice together. Overall, what is keeping me are the rest of the Scobby Gang and the Wesen of the Week storyline. If they start to take more time away from those two things then yeah I will probably bail after the finale. 

• Love 3

Sorry to see you go, but I totally understand.  I gave up after episode 2 (but I still come here for the recaps and the snark..and the hope that this show might get its act together).

High five. Engage shadow status. 

This forum has solid, thoughtful posts; I didn't have any trouble following along.

Hope you feel better soon, show.

• Love 3

And then there's the general WTF-ness, like Nick not just moving his tiny cot into Adalind's room instead of sleeping in her damn bed, and the new parents calling Rosalee, someone who has never taken care of a baby, for help with the baby.  They tried to tie it into her knowledge of herbs and Wesen medicine, but it was a tenuous connection at best.

And as for asking Rosalee for baby care advice: Would it have killed them to write a line about Rosalee's past experience with, IDK, caring for cousins, much younger half-siblings, working at a day care center, or any of a million possibilities??? And a line about how all their parents are dead and none of their friends have children? Okay, that would be weird to admit, but I bet at least we'd all be chuckling about it.

Loved the scene with Monroe and Rosalee listening to music having a nice dinner. I assume that letter Rosalee got will somehow play into future episodes. I remember she had a substance abuse problem in the past but I can't remember the details hence her reference to that part of her life.

With all the talk about Rosalee and her surprising baby knowledge, along with the letter from her former...boyfriend? I had a crazy thought. We don't really know much about her past other than the drug addict aspect. Could it be Rosalee is actually a mother and the child's been with its father?

Just thought I'd lob that one out there. 

• Love 3

With all the talk about Rosalee and her surprising baby knowledge, along with the letter from her former...boyfriend? I had a crazy thought. We don't really know much about her past other than the drug addict aspect. Could it be Rosalee is actually a mother and the child's been with its father?

Just thought I'd lob that one out there. 

Not out of the realm of possibility...but I think this show has reached its limit on babies (about 2 babies ago) and secret mothers coming out of the woodwork.  I think this would be a great plot....if it weren't a rehashing of things this show has already done.

• Love 2

Totally agree about the rehashing. I hope that isn't the direction, though the reasons why Rosalee might have left a child behind would be interesting. But I prefer Rosalee and Monroe as they are now - the anchors and voices of reason of the show. Not to mention, the sweetest and most solid couple on this, and many other shows. 

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1