Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E05: Elizabeth Banks / Disclosure

• Start Topic

I feel bad for them that they have to do a show tonight.  I'm sure they would rather not, but I'm also sure they will do their best to do a good show.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Cold Open: Yep, Paris tribute. Classy way to start the show. Hey, they did a show after Newtown complete with a very moving tribute, so I was sure we'd get another such opening here.

Monologue: Elizabeth Banks was also in the Lego Movie, I would've loved to see a Wyldstyle fan in the audience, too. But enough with the singing monologues already, but I'll forgive this one due to the gratuitous star wipes. You can never have enough of those.

ARON'S List: This was great. "Even janitors?" "Literally thousands of us."

Black Jeopardy: I'm white as a salt shaker and I laughed.

First Got Horny 2 U: Never thought I'd see a Dinosaurs shout out on SNL. I think this means I'm getting old.

Student Theater: Here's the whitest sketch ever to balance out Black Jeopardy. "It says here the proceeds will go to Neil Patrick Harris. He doesn't need that."

WU: Now that Trump isn't here, time to rip him a new one! "Jeb Hitler" just was so stupid enough to make me laugh. And yes, Bernie Sanders really does look like if the Post Office became a person. Pete Davidson once again killed it.

Young Ben Carson: This one was weird. First it got silly, then it just got dumb while sourcing all of Carson's bullcrap.

The Bureau: Quite a few bits about perverts tonight. It was an okay sketch.

Uber: Dinosaurs AND White Castle in the same episode? I'm willing to forgive everything else that happened in this episode just for that. I'm sad that they saved the best for last, this was just great.

So Ghetto: Well this explains how Elizabeth Banks' character was able to get on Black Jeopardy.

All in all, not the crap show that was last week. I thought it was "okay." And okay is better than whatever happened last time.

• Love 6

I agree it was an "Okay" show, which given the circumstances, I think is just fine.

I really laughed at "First Got Horny  2 U".  I thought it was hilarious.  And I really liked the Young Ben Carson sketch.  They can never do enough political based sketches for me.

I continue to think they have found their groove at Update even if they insist on making Bruce Chandling work, and I never really think he does.

Pete Davidson once again killed it.

And he actually stayed on topic for once!  That amazed me.  Petey is growing up before our eyes.  Heh.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

I might wind up being in the minority, but I really, really liked tonight's episode...and I laughed out loud a lot. I thought Elizabeth Banks did a great job, and we got to see Mike O'Brien again. That's always a plus for me. :D
Cecily's intro, though, did bring tears to my eyes.

• Love 1

Cold Open: I assumed they'd forgo a sketch and thought the simple bit they did with Cecily was just enough. I didn't know she spoke French (I'm assuming she does, to my untrained ears it didn't sound like she'd just learned the quick bit she had to say this morning).

Monologue: Elizabeth in that first dress doe. Demerits for a singing monologue but major props to Elizabeth for pulling it off, I know she wasn't really directing the bit but she still had to say all the cues and look at the right cameras and move around.

Aron's List: "Just missed the cut-off for statutory stuff." I died.

Black Jeopardy!: This didn't need to be brought back but I appreciated the dig at the dumb Starbucks controversy. Also, I liked the point they made that Elizabeth's character was more privileged than them in every other aspect of life so no one should feel bad for her that she was failing at this.

First Got Horny 2 U: This was kind of progressive in the weirdest of ways. Idk, I feel like you never see burgeoning sexuality in young girls shown/mentioned on television, it's like it's this and Sally Draper masturbating on Mad Men and that's it. And they let Kate be a lesbian. I'm strangely proud of the show for this. Huh.

Student Theater ShowcaseObjectively, this sketch has worn out its welcome, but I still really enjoy it. I loved Leslie leaving after the first segment. And Vanessa. "I'm her mom. I'm right here. And she's always such a bitch to me."

Weekend Update: I get that the little bits where Colin and Michael riff on something topical are supposed to be showing me that they're getting into the groove of their jobs, but I still find it so awkward. It just weirdly petered off and then all of a sudden Colin was talking about something else. Idk. They're just bad. They are bad at their jobs. Like if I was as bad at my job as they are at theirs, I would be fired. I actually enjoyed Pete's "stand-up routine masquerading as commentary" for once. Kate as Olya is always welcome, and that "Did you fall from heaven? If so, are my babies up there?" bit was so deliciously dark, the audience was not ready for that. Bruce Chandling is forever stupid and pointless.

The Adventures of Young Ben Carson: Jay was good, the sketch was ok. It got the point across.

The Bureau: Again, ok execution, but I thought the idea was really great.

Uber for Jen: So, is Mike O'Brien not fired? Them hitting the guy and then hiding the body was my favorite part.

Ghetto: This sketch didn't seem that timely (haven't people stopped using "ghetto" as an adjective for quite some time now?) but I did think it was funny.

Overall, a solid show, nothing to really complain about. I laughed a lot, which I guess is what I should be measuring things by. Elizabeth Banks is heart eyes like whoa. I've had a crush on her since she was Avery on 30 Rock. I thought she gelled really nicely with the cast (if the @nbcsnl Instagram is anything to go by, she was very well-liked). And I'm really happy that Lorde was finally on the show. She's such an incredible young woman and artist. If there's any justice in the world she'll have a long, successful career.

Also really cool that each bumper had the logo in the colors of the French flag.

Adele next week, y'all. I know she gets terrible stage fright but it would be awesome if they could talk her into a sketch. Maybe a pre-taped bit?

• Love 3

Well that was much better than last week's trainwreck, that's for sure. 

Paris Tribute: Very classy, very short and to the point. Also, I didn't know that Cecily could speak French. She seemed like she was about to cry at some points. 

Monologue: Correct me if I'm wrong but is this the first singing monologue we've had all season? I missed the season premiere and the other ones are kind of hazy to me at times. I appreciated this monologue though since it was all about timing  and also, Star Wipes. Can't go wrong with star wipes. 

Aron's List: I loved this. Some people may get offended, I'm sure but I thought it was pretty amusing. Though putting together public urinators and pervs who take upskirt photos is a little uneasy for me. Regardless, it was pretty well done and I enjoyed it.

Black Jeopardy: I'm like one of 3 people who didn't really care for the first Black Jeopardy. I mean it was well done but I'm never a fan of "Black People vs White People, amirite?!" jokes anyway. They just annoy me. Though I did like the swerve of one of the questions being Tom Brady as the answer rather than Bill Cosby. 

First Got Horny 2 U: I loved this and I Loved the whole Boy Band Ballad style too. For some reason the idea of Vanessa's sexual awakening being to the Menendez Brothers made me laugh hard. Though there was a small part of me thinking in the back of my head with Banks' (though I don't necessarily argue with her since Maxwell Sheffield was pretty hot in that weird British-y way) "Dude, she was like 19...either she was a late bloomer or they're just going to run with it since she does pretty much look like she's in her late 20s anyway" I also thought Robbie from Dinosaurs being Aidy's first Horny Subject was funny too. It also got me thinking of my first celebrity crush that I was like "I want to do things to him" which was Dave Foley back when he was on Newsradio (Dammit, he was cute!)

Student Theater: The first one was fantastic, the second one felt tacked on more, but somehow the third one ended up even better. And quite honestly, I think Vanessa and Kenan are the real stars of this sketch. I love their snarkiness and their reactions to the stupidity. I honestly thought that Elizabeth's character was going to be like "HOW DARE YOU MISGENDER ME!" to Kenan. Also I did love Leslie's "Screw this, I'm outta here" in the very beginning. And the line "But they're all white...it just sounds like they're bragging." And honestly, if you spend even about 10 minutes on Tumblr, you see folks like this all over (That's why I only go on Tumblr for fandom related matters)

Weekend Update: I like this a lot and they brought on a lot of good points. I do really enjoy the back and forth between Jost and Che these days. It's quite snappy and fun. Granted, most of it is at Colin's expense but he is such a dopey dude. Pete Davidson was pretty great though I thought he'd bring up some of the ladies' rooms that have couches or expound slightly more on the whole women are kind of grosser than guys are and it shows by the bathrooms. And Kate as Olya was great too. 

Young Ben Carson: I don't know what to think of this sketch. It was just kind of there. I did like some of the silliness with the belt and then the sourcing of stupid things Ben Carson has said. And then him and Jesus becoming BFFs. It wasn't my favorite sketch but it had moments.

The Bureau: They're really all about pervs tonight, aren't they? If it was anybody other than Bobby as the walk-on role, I think it'd be consider a certified clunker. However, Bobby saved it with his reactions and turned it to a more Slightly Passable grade for me.

Uber: I had no idea where this sketch was going for a while. Then it got goofy and fun. It wasn't laugh out loud funny for me, but it did get a smile out of me. Also Mike rating Jen with only 3 stars was pretty funny. After all that she was still just "meh"

So Ghetto: This sketch was okay but man I would've loved if this tied into Elizabeth's Black Jeopardy character. For some reason that would've made both sketches so much funnier in my eyes. Hell, even have it tie into the Uber sketch too. Man, they could've done some crazy stuff tonight. It was good but man if they tied it in with those two sketches, that would've been great. 

Anyways, all in all it was a pretty great show. I'd be totally cool with Elizabeth Banks coming back to host. She's did a great job and it looked like she was game for anything under the sun. And that's how a lot of hosts should be.

• Love 1
First Got Horny 2 U: I loved this and I Loved the whole Boy Band Ballad style too. For some reason the idea of Vanessa's sexual awakening being to the Menendez Brothers made me laugh hard. Though there was a small part of me thinking in the back of my head with Banks' (though I don't necessarily argue with her since Maxwell Sheffield was pretty hot in that weird British-y way) "Dude, she was like 19...either she was a late bloomer or they're just going to run with it since she does pretty much look like she's in her late 20s anyway"

Wow, I had no idea Banks was north of forty! In any event, I think they deliberately gave everyone an early-to-mid '90s fantasy regardless of real-life age considerations. I mean, when Dinosaurs went off the air, lil' baby Aidy would've been only seven years old.

• Love 3

Great show. Even with the stuff I didn't personally find funny, I respected what they were doing-- not playing it safe, not holding back, and actually having a point of view. The sketches didn't run long while they beat the same joke into the ground. The re-used premises actually took the jokes to a new level instead of just repeating what they did before.

• Love 2

Vanessa crushing on the Menendez brothers and then changing it to JTT made that whole song for me.

Aidy Tweeted that SNL has a special effects makeup artist who made that dinosaur head from scratch in 14 hours.

Earlier this year, a friend and I road tripped from Minneapolis to Milwaukee. He insisted on describing everything as "ghetto". I called him out on it but then wasn't able to articulate why it was so bothersome to me. I appreciated the ten-to-one sketch for touching on that.

The Pervert sketch was too meanspirited for me to find it funny. I was worried the Uber one would be more of the same, but it went into surreal territory instead.

• Love 2

I haven't had a chance to catch the entire show yet, but I did see the cold open and WU this morning. As others have mentioned, I didn't know Ciecily spoke French, and from the bits I understood (my French is a little rusty), the message was beautiful and I'm not ashamed to admit that it made me burst into tears. It was short, poignant, and the perfect way to start the show in the wake of the tragedy.

WU once again had some strong pieces that made me laugh. It was an easy joke, but "I don't know about that, but we will be saying Jesus Christ a lot" cracked me up, as did Michael's "This begs the question, did this guy cheat on his daughter?" They kind of petered out on their back and forth, but I did like Michael's imitation of Colin, with the straight cut to Colin's face right afterwards. And while Bruce Chandling isn't really my cup of tea (and for some reason, his voice was veering into Kyles imitation of the Pope), I did get a genuine laugh at Kyle's quiet "Ohhhh nooooo".

Sounds like the rest of the show was great, so I can't wait to catch up on the rest of it.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

to my untrained ears it didn't sound like she'd just learned the quick bit she had to say this morning)

She probably studied some in school with a teacher who came from France; the accent would have sounded a lot different if the teacher was French Canadian.  I liked it, but admittedly there were a lot of tragedies that happened in the past week alone.  

As for the singing monologue, at least it was a different set up.  Homer Simpson would have approved of the many star  wipes.

As a show overall, it wasn't bad.  Compared to last week, it was outstanding. 

First Got Horny 2 U: This was kind of progressive in the weirdest of ways. Idk, I feel like you never see burgeoning sexuality in young girls shown/mentioned on television, it's like it's this and Sally Draper masturbating on Mad Men and that's it.

Oddly enough, I first remember Banks from her bathtub scene in the 40 Year Old Virgin.  But I did crack up at this, despite the fact that Aidy got off on Robbie Sinclair (don't ask me how I remembered his name.) 

I do have to say Colin leaving the head writer post to focus on WU was a smart move; it has gotten a lot better.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 1

Early in the monologue, I was like "great, this isn't a musical monologue." Then the music started.

They haven't had one in awhile.  I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was creative and infectious.  

I was impressed that she can walk on a treadmill in heels. I muttered, "Don't fall. Don't fall!"  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

My favorite episode of the season and I don't even like Elizabeth Banks. I had very low expectations after her monologue but the show quickly redeemed itself.

It's a weird, acquired taste, but I love the Bruce Chandling bit on Update.  The hacky brick-wall comedian from the 1980s has an existential crisis but recovers in time for another hacky joke just kills me.

Ben Carson Theater was pretty awesome. "Quick, stick out your belt." "Open your damn eyes!" "Oh damn, he got a hammer! Quick, put this belt on your head."  LOL.

From the straight hair, makeup and minidress, looks like Lorde got a makeover at one of Taylor Swift's Girl Squad slumber parties.

That said, this show does have a weird attitude toward race. It seems to think that it can make fun of minorities so long as they're making fun of vapid white rich people too.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1

First Got Horny 2 U: This was kind of progressive in the weirdest of ways. Idk, I feel like you never see burgeoning sexuality in young girls shown/mentioned on television, it's like it's this and Sally Draper masturbating on Mad Men and that's it. And they let Kate be a lesbian. I'm strangely proud of the show for this. Huh.

Lesbian?  That poster was of Taylor Hanson, of the group "Hanson."  Very much a guy.  Kate's holding their "Mmm Bop" cd at one point.

• Love 1

I thought Ben Carson Theater was great: I'm constantly flummoxed by the sometimes ignorant, sometimes terrifying things that Carson says, and I thought putting citations in the sketch to actual Ben Carson quotations was very clever. The audience was not feeling that sketch though.

Elizabeth Banks has a crazy amount of charisma. I don't understand why she's not a bigger comedy star. I think in particular the monologue last night would have fallen completely flat with anyone else trying to pull that off.

On Update, I thought it was cute that both Pete and Colin were somewhat caught off guard at the audience's extended giggling about the murder of a toilet paper man in the ladies' room. They didn't think it would land so well and had already started to move on, but the audience loved it. (It's funny because it's true.)

I have to plead a mea culpa on Michael Che: I thought he was beyond dreadful and beyond hope last year, but he has really improved. He doesn't mumble his words and flub his lines anymore, and his attitude is more chill and less "too cool for school." People say Colin Jost has improved, too, but I see him about the same as I did. I attribute improvement in Update mostly to Michael.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 3

Lesbian?  That poster was of Taylor Hanson, of the group "Hanson."  Very much a guy.  Kate's holding their "Mmm Bop" cd at one point.

No, it definitely was about her being a lesbian. The lyrics were: "Taylor Hanson's lips and his long blond hair--the most gorgeous woman anywhere! And that's how I could tell...that I was gay as hell!"

• Love 5

Elizabeth Banks has a crazy amount of charisma. I don't understand why she's not a bigger comedy star. I think in particular the monologue last night would have fallen completely flat with anyone else trying to pull that off.

ITA. She is a terrific comedic actress. I love her. She's even good in those stupid commercials for... loans? House hunting? Whatever. She's good.

I thought the monologue was great. She can't sing, but it didn't matter because that wasn't the point. Love her pulling out all the stops in her directing repertoire. I didn't realize she directing Perfect Pitch 2 (which I haven't yet seen).

Aron's List was good. I always like Vanessa in these kind of fake commercials. One the biggest laughs in this for me was when the VO says, "Dog walkers?" and Jay says, "I'll do it."

I liked Black Jeopardy. My favorite category name was "What Had Happened Was."

First Got Horny 2 U was so funny. Best part was Aidy scooting on the floor. Oh, and I loved when Cecily was on the floor atop her pillow, her dad walks in and immediately walks back out. One of my first TV crushes would have fit right in: Gordon from Thunderbirds.

Good show. Banks did a great job.

• Love 2
First Got Horny 2 U: This was kind of progressive in the weirdest of ways. Idk, I feel like you never see burgeoning sexuality in young girls shown/mentioned on television, it's like it's this and Sally Draper masturbating on Mad Men and that's it.

Besides Elizabeth Banks' scene in The 40 Year Old Virgin, the actor Hailee Steinfeld's single "Love Myself" is all about masturbation.  She seems super, duper young to me so I find the whole thing a bit odd, but more power to her I guess.  I think it's true that when I was her age there was no young women talking about it in the media that way.  So I guess it's a good thing.

Aron's List was good. I always like Vanessa in these kind of fake commercials. One the biggest laughs in this for me was when the VO says, "Dog walkers?" and Jay says, "I'll do it."

I agree, his delivery killed it.

For the Jay fans out there I HAVE TO direct your attention to his latest Instagram post.  I hardly needed coffee after...

Untitled_1.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

No, it definitely was about her being a lesbian. The lyrics were: "Taylor Hanson's lips and his long blond hair--the most gorgeous woman anywhere! And that's how I could tell...that I was gay as hell!"

[OT]Back when the the Mmmbop music video first came out, my brother and sister and I had a legit half hour argument about whether that was a girl or a boy. With no consensus.  [/OT]

For the Jay fans out there I HAVE TO direct your attention to his latest Instagram post. I hardly needed coffee after...

Was it wrong that Jay pecs were the only thing I was paying attention to in the Ben carson sketch?

• Love 1

the actor Hailee Steinfeld's single "Love Myself" is all about masturbation.  She seems super, duper young to me so I find the whole thing a bit odd, but more power to her I guess.

This is what happens when you've only heard the chorus of the song and never the rest of it (like me...oops.)  And you realize a network used said chorus for the promo ad to taut the fall tv season.  

• Love 1

I was convinced Taylor Hanson was a girl when they first came out. He had a very pretty face, the hair, and a name that could go either way. One of my nephews had a pretty face and long blond hair when he was the same age, and he was constantly mistaken for a girl when we were out. We were at Denny's once for dinner and the waitress asked me was "she" was having, I said HE was having x and when she brought the meal she repeatedly called him she or her. It would drive him nuts since he thought he looked like a boy. 

I thought the show was decently good. Not the best ever, but good. Update really started to come together. It seemed super long though. 3 guests? I don't remember 3 separate guests in a while, if ever. Jost plays off the others well. I like him and Pete and I always like him and Leslie. I'm not the biggest Banks fan, but aI'm always up for a gung-ho host. 

Cecily Strong's opening the show with that speech was moving, beautiful, and impressive.  Had no idea she could speak French.  You could tell she was about ready to cry. Then again, who could blame her?  Having a funny opening would have felt shallow, so that speech was the best thing that happened on last night's show.

Not that the rest of the show sucked.  I rather like Elizabeth Banks.  She's pretty, accomplished, good in dramas and comedies, can sing, and is a director.  This is damn impressive!

I'm sure we could all relate to "First got horny 2 u".  For me, it was Prince Philip from Sleeping Beauty.

The Student Theater sketches have grown on me, because I'm at that age where I just look at a teenager and think "You don't know shit about shit!"  Admittedly, I don't much either and I know I'm hypocritically forgetting my teenagers years when I was more "Grrr injustice", but I remember not being pretentious about it.

The "Walk on Role" sketch is nightmare of mine.  Just getting roped into something you think will be simple only for you to become the center of a shitstorm is an ever present fear of mine.

Also rather liked the "That's so ghetto" sketch.  Nothing takes the wind out of a slang phrase better than when it's compared to the actual thing :)

• Love 1

I loved the musical monologue, because Elizabeth Banks sang live and really well--and I liked working direction into the song (sometimes switching from her upper to lower register to do it, I think?) and still making the directing cues fit, while also having a dress change in there.  The star wipes also reminded me of The Simpsonswhen Homer really liked star wipes.

I also lost it for "my Uber cart is here" as the end for the "that's so ghetto" sketch.

The cold open tribute to France was just the right touch.

• Love 1
Early in the monologue, I was like "great, this isn't a musical monologue." Then the music started.

I can actually tell when they're going to do a musical monologue. There's a certain way the host is standing, the lighting is lit on the host a certain way, and there's always a certain cadence to whatever they're saying that seems to be preparing to break into a song. I caught all of that yesterday and thought the same thing...and then the music started.

Update really started to come together. It seemed super long though. 3 guests? I don't remember 3 separate guests in a while, if ever.

Well they did have some extra time without the traditional cold open of at least five minutes.

A few details on the "Horny 2 U" video from the writers' Twitter feeds. Aidy Bryant says, "i really did love robbie the dinosaur & carson daly," so I guess either she encountered them later on or adapted a grade-school crush into a sexual thing. (She also says in a response to one of her followers that the first draft of the song featured Kirk Cameron.)

Meanwhile, her cowriter Chris Kelly takes credit for "my first loves, the Menendez brothers and Mr. Sheffield." Now that I think about it, they do seem like more probable crush objects for a gay boy than a straight girl, which is probably part of what made them so incongruously funny.

Also, a fun detail from the "High School Theatre" sketch that I haven't seen anyone else point out: when the parents notice the sign reserving a seat for Caitlyn Jenner, it's clear that the high schoolers originally misspelled her name as "Caitlin Jenner" and then half-assedly changed the second "i" to a "y."

Edited by Dev F

The cold opening was appropriately respectful and heartlfelt. I'm still processing the horror of what happened in Paris. I don't speak French but I've watched enough French movies to know Cecily sounded great.

Another great music video from the ladies with  "First Got Horny 2 U". I lost it when Aidy mentioned the son from Dinosaurs! I don't blame Kate for being confused  because I also remember first seeing Hanson sing "Mmbop" like the Rosie O'Donnell Show and thought the middle one was cute and then found out it was a guy!

I'll be honest, the first time I became aware women did that too was back in the early 90s "The Contest" episode of Seinfeld aired! I was like "Wait Elaine's taking part in this? How would even do that?" And then they had her lose because of John F. Kennedy Jr!

The Menendez Brothers mention makes me think of that insane and hilarious old sketch where they were played by Rob Schneider and John Malkovich and they were on the witness stand and they tried to fool the court into thinking they had a pair of identical twin brothers who committed the murders! One would leave for the bathroom and then his "twin" would take the stand! Here it is:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-menendez-trial/n10475

Loved the "That's so ghetto" sketch.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
All in all, not the crap show that was last week. I thought it was "okay." And okay is better than whatever happened last time.

I laughed more last week than this week, if you count laughing once ("I called you on my cell-phone ..."). This week was devoid of funny. Oh, wait, I lied - it tied. "Are my babies in heaven" was a great line. I love Elizabeth Banks. The show just wasn't funny.

For the Jay fans out there I HAVE TO direct your attention to his latest Instagram post.  I hardly needed coffee after...

Nice abs. But what about the comment that said "Looking good, Che. Great Weekend Update" " Was that a joke, or does the guy really think Jay and Michael Che are the same person? 

Nice abs. But what about the comment that said "Looking good, Che. Great Weekend Update" " Was that a joke, or does the guy really think Jay and Michael Che are the same person? 

People definitely think Jay and Michael Che are the same person.  Michael instagrams pictures all the time of people confusing the two of them, and congratulating Jay on WU.  And then there was the time this happened.

• Love 1

I lost it at that line, because every young lesbian can describe the moment she realized she liked the femmey dude because, well, gay.

I admit, I pretended to have a crush on the lead singer of Silverchair because he had long blond hair. 

Though if we're going for actual mid-90s crushes, I'd say mine was Alanis Morissette. 

• Love 1

I thought this was easily the best show this season.  Interesting that it provoked such a wide variety of reactions.

Weekend update was full of win, with "we'll be saying Jesus Christ a lot" and "are my babies there?"  Even liked Pete's bit about ladies rooms!  

I fast forwarded through most of the "comedian".

• Love 2

People definitely think Jay and Michael Che are the same person.  Michael instagrams pictures all the time of people confusing the two of them, and congratulating Jay on WU.  And then there was the time this happened.

That's so funny to me because the two of them look nothing alike, aside from having a similar shade of brown skin. They talk differently, their faces are very different, one does the news and the other does impressions, and Michael Che almost never appears in sketches. But there have been multiple studies showing that people have trouble distinguishing the facial features of people of other races.  So I don't think it's an "all black people look alike" thing. It's a common human fallacy. 

In fact, there was an SNL sketch a few years about black contestants on a game show who couldn't tell the difference between Dylan McDermott and Dermot Mulroney even after looking at their head shots multiple times. (I would've rocked that game, though--I was a huge fan of 'The Practice'). 

• Love 1

Mike O'Brien plus Matt and Oz is just a recipe for success. Their styles go so well together.

I'm actually surprised Matt and Oz haven't directed a feature comedy yet. Their style hits the right notes, and I think they're a big part of why the pre-taped sketches have been among SNLs best for the past few years.

I really enjoyed this week's episode. Banks fit right in, which is the recipe for SNL success. Catering to a host always produces a dud sketch or two, but even this week's weakest sketches left me laughing. It's similar to Martin Freeman's hosting gig last year.