Type keyword(s) to search

Hailing Frequencies Open: Media Articles, Casting News, Scheduling

• Start Topic

This article comes from Tom and Lorenzo, who also blog about Project Runway, and delightfully refers to Saru as a fussy and officious Tim Gunn in space.

All Y’All Nerds Need to Calm Down About Star Trek: Discovery

• Is the cast diverse in a way that reflects its era’s vision of diversity? Yes.
  • Does one, possibly more cast member struggle with the internal conflict between their human side and their not-human side? Yes.
  • Are the uniforms ugly? Oh, yes.
  • Are the characters sometimes contradictory, sometimes underdeveloped, and prone to simplistic reactions? Yes.
  • Is the science heavy with technobabble and handwavium? Yes.
  • Does the series deal with big questions of war, morality, technological advancement, and what it means to be human? Yes.

Then guess what? It’s totally a Star Trek show, nerds.

• Love 10

As a veteran of the Great DS9 vs B5 War of 1994-98, I was hoping since the Armistice, we'd learned that it's okay if someone likes a different show than we do.  

Or, to quote Battlestar Galactica, all this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

• Love 12

Cliff Eidelman (who composed the score for The Undiscovered Country) has released his music written for DSC, which was 'rejected'. That's terrible because it's excellent. I suspect he, like the incredible director Vincenzo Natali, left with Bryan Fuller.

I am enjoying DSC, but the sheer tonnage of exceptional talent which left due to CBS's meddling really upsets me. Natali is an artist and Eidelman's past Trek music rivaled James Horner.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2
On 10/26/2017 at 11:55 AM, Lebanna said:

Yes, this is in my head too. I'm not shocked that perhaps the people shouting loudest prefer The Orville. I haven't seen it yet, but I assume from the sound of it that it's a family hour comedy show for people who enjoy 'The Big Bang Theory' and its spinoffs. Which is fine. BBT gets crazy ratings, way above anything that any actual sci-fi show is getting these days. And it's free to air. I have no interest in picking up another sitcom, but as he says, they're easy to follow, pleasant to watch, cheer you up after a tough day and don't challenge your brain. More people have always and will always go for that option. And that's fine. I love sitcoms too.

You are so wrong about this assumption I'm not sure where to begin. Full disclosure: I'm a lifelong ST fan, that has watched every form of it except most of Enterprise, which I largely detested.

Orville *is* ST:TNG for millennials. By that I mean there is occasional crass humor (though that isn't always present) and silly behavior that the Federation would never condone in the midst of (mostly) big stories with a moral. Try watching the episode about gender on one alien's planet, or the one last week about social media run amok. These are big ideas, just like ST. It isn't a happy show nor is it anything like a sitcom.

I watched the first, free episode of Discovery, and liked it as well. haven't watched any others because of the PPV thing. It isn't the $6 that bugs me, it's the principle. So I can't really compare the two shows. I'm not one that would be bothered by Klingons who look different or technology that is better than what we see later in TOS, though. I just am glad both shows exist.

I *am* curious how Discovery is doing in ratings, given it's online availability, and what its owner would view as good ratings vs. bad for its future.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Ottis said:

You are so wrong about this assumption I'm not sure where to begin. Full disclosure: I'm a lifelong ST fan, that has watched every form of it except most of Enterprise, which I largely detested.

Orville *is* ST:TNG for millennials. By that I mean there is occasional crass humor (though that isn't always present) and silly behavior that the Federation would never condone in the midst of (mostly) big stories with a moral. Try watching the episode about gender on one alien's planet, or the one last week about social media run amok. These are big ideas, just like ST. It isn't a happy show nor is it anything like a sitcom.

I watched the first, free episode of Discovery, and liked it as well. haven't watched any others because of the PPV thing. It isn't the $6 that bugs me, it's the principle. So I can't really compare the two shows. I'm not one that would be bothered by Klingons who look different or technology that is better than what we see later in TOS, though. I just am glad both shows exist.

I *am* curious how Discovery is doing in ratings, given it's online availability, and what its owner would view as good ratings vs. bad for its future.

As I said, if you do actually read what I said, I haven't watched The Orville at all - frankly I don't need another sitcom, but I was a massive Red Dwarf fan back in the day. So I am open minded about it. It's interesting that you say it's darker than it sounds.

However, as a millenial, I have to say that if this is proclaimed to be our TNG, I find that depressing. I remember seeing a Patrick Stewart interview once, saying that Red Dwarf annoyed him at first because he thought it was a parody of TNG, but then he realized that it was something completely different. And that to me is a good thing. I don't want to watch it remade as a comedy. I want to see something new.

Plus, TNG will always be my TNG. I don't ever need another one. However, The Orville turns out to be something different and interesting it may someday win me over. When something else I watch gets cancelled.

Edited by Lebanna
10 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

I haven't watched The Orville at all - frankly I don't need another sitcom, but I was a massive Red Dwarf fan back in the day. So I am open minded about it. It's interesting that you say it's darker than it sounds.

I'll reply to this in the Small Talk thread, as it's not really about media.

Good for Anthony for speaking up, KS's been notorious for this kind of behaviour for years. I just hope those rabid KS-fans back down soon enough.

Edited by Ely
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Aww, I wish Discovery would finally do an episode with these three (plus robot lady) in the limelight.

The Discovery bridge crew is appallingly under-developed. I get that Discovery is not the ensemble show that the previous Treks were, and that changing the focus off the bridge was one of objectives. But there hasn't been a scene between the helmsman and Burnham except for the look they shared, and they were on the Shenzhou together.

• Love 1

I was reading through the latest episode thread and kept coming upon a theory about Ash and Voq. Having no idea what y'all were talking about, I googled it and found this: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-11-12/star-trek-discovery-shazad-latif-voq-tyler-fan-theory-javid-iqbal/

Shazad Latif seems laughably bad at dealing with the press! Did he really not expect people to ask about what's going to happen on the show? Also, everyone associated with the show seems to be a terrible liar. I do feel kind of bad for them that they came up with this clever twist, and everyone (except me) figured it out in about five seconds.

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 1

That makes me like Isaacs even more than I already did.

This probably makes me a terrible person, but as someone who shed actual tears over Leonard Nimoy's passing, I'm going to have really work to have any residual feelings about Shatner when his time comes.

• Love 2
On 10/26/2017 at 12:55 PM, Lebanna said:

Yes, this is in my head too. I'm not shocked that perhaps the people shouting loudest prefer The Orville. I haven't seen it yet, but I assume from the sound of it that it's a family hour comedy show for people who enjoy 'The Big Bang Theory' and its spinoffs. Which is fine. BBT gets crazy ratings, way above anything that any actual sci-fi show is getting these days. And it's free to air. I have no interest in picking up another sitcom, but as he says, they're easy to follow, pleasant to watch, cheer you up after a tough day and don't challenge your brain. More people have always and will always go for that option. And that's fine. I love sitcoms too.

The Orville fans piss me off me because only watching part of Seth McFarlane Oscar hosting showed him to be a racist, misogynistic asshole who clearly has no understanding of IDIC. Kirk would have found "We saw your boobs" appalling. What he did to Salma Hayek was disgusting. The man has no business anywhere near Star Trek.  I can't see how The Orville can be anything but a shallow simplistic imitation of Trek. Although maybe that's what some fans want something fun where they don't have to think too much. Its just to me the tough episodes Duet, In the Pale Moonlight, Scorpion and even Vaulting Ambition are the best of Trek . Especially as a mixed race woman. When I was growing up B'lanna Torres was the only person like me on tv. (And I am not the only one Mark Oshiro's review of Cardassians is heartbreaking). Its half the reason I love the show so much. I can't see Seth McFarlane as capable of any of that.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

The Orville fans piss me off me because only watching part of Seth McFarlane Oscar hosting showed him to be a racist, misogynistic asshole who clearly has no understanding of IDIC. Kirk would have found "We saw your boobs" appalling. What he did to Salma Hayek was disgusting. The man has no business anywhere near Star Trek.  I can't see how The Orville can be anything but a shallow simplistic imitation of Trek. Although maybe that's what some fans want something fun where they don't have to think too much. Its just to me the tough episodes Duet, In the Pale Moonlight, Scorpion and even Vaulting Ambition are the best of Trek . Especially as a mixed race woman. When I was growing up B'lanna Torres was the only person like me on tv. (And I am not the only one Mark Oshiro's review of Cardassians is heartbreaking). Its half the reason I love the show so much. I can't see Seth McFarlane as capable of any of that.

Oh, he's capable of it, all right.  Check out the episodes "About a Girl" (the plot involves forced gender-reassignment surgery on a newborn infant because she was born the wrong gender for her species, which is supposed to be male-only), "Majority Rule" (about the dangers of mindlessly deciding public policy and making life-or-death decisions via popular vote based upon nothing more than unsubstantiated public opinion and "fake news"), "If the Stars Should Appear" (a people who have been living on a spaceship for so long that they've forgotten that they're actually ON a spaceship and think they're living on an actual planet -- think "For the World Is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky"), and  "Mad Idolatry" (the First Officer breaks First Contact protocol on a primitive planet and accidentally sets herself up as the focus of that planet's religion for much of that planet's history as a result).  Trust me, those episodes are right up there with the ones you mentioned.

Edited by legaleagle53
1 hour ago, Lebanna said:

Interview with Jason Isaacs where he tells them he's definitely leaving the show after this season and then casually mentions that when it comes to this show he lies in interviews about everything all the time.

http://tvline.com/2018/01/28/star-trek-discovery-recap-episode-13-whats-past-is-prologue-mirror-lorca-dies-jason-isaacs/

It's obvious that he had as much fun trolling the interviewer as he did playing Lorca!

• Love 2

Was watching the After Trek episode after the Season Finale -- and they did some brief talking head clips with the secondary bridge crew members.

Sarah Mitich -- who plays Lt. Commander Airiam -- is gorgeous without her character's makeup on.  I've got to go watch 'The Expanse' that she was also on for a couple of episodes.

14 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Quick: how many characters on the second pic can you name without checking?

All of em, actually. Left to right: Owoshekun, Airam, Stamets, Tilly, Burnham, Bryce, Rhys, Detmer, Saru. 

• Love 1

We're apparently going to see, in addition to the Enterprise, the USS Hiawatha.  They had announced they'd cast comedienne Tig Notaro in the role of her chief engineer a while ago, but some casting breakdowns leaked, and it turns out the character will also be in a wheelchair.  Also mentions another engineer (for Discovery, perhaps?) and a young Vulcan named Samuel who basically has to be a code for flashback Spock.

I still want to hear about the rest of the crew of the Enterprise.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:14 PM, jsbt said:

I still think the whole rush to jump to bringing in Enterprise and Spock is so foolish. But whatever.

But it's bound to happen eventually.  It's the elephant in the Captain's Ready Room.

• Love 2