Type keyword(s) to search

Hailing Frequencies Open: Media Articles, Casting News, Scheduling

• Start Topic

(edited)

I knew she was his choice. And I had a feeling David Semel wasn't. Edgar Wright!

I'm pissed again. And I had a feeling those uniforms weren't his.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

I wish I could say i'm surprised by everything Fuller says in that interview, but i'm not.

I would have preferred an anthology-type series, maybe even with seasons tied together by a common threat, or something (it worked for the book crossovers, why not build two or three time periods around said threat, and have a big timey wimey crossover in season 4, or something) ; i don't really like the uniforms and some of the current esthetics of the show ; i would have loved to have something bolder in terms of direction, and apparently writing ; in short, i think I would have enjoyed Fuller's Discovery much more than I will enjoy the one CBS meddled with.

(however, even though she's Fuller's choice, I'm still not on board with "Sonequa Martin-Green, hidden adoptive sister of Spock"... I hope she'll convince me through her acting.)

• Love 1
On 30/08/2017 at 1:06 PM, starri said:

Also, it makes Martin-Green sound like a thoroughly awesome person. 

I've had the pleasure to meet her. And yes, thoroughly awesome, just an all-round bright soul. She is one of the reasons I'm so confident that Discovery will be good.

• Love 2

I like the theme.  I like that they went back to an orchestra.  That was one of the things I hated the most about Star Trek: Enterprise.  Their theme was terrible and then they somehow made it even worse.  This theme seems more like Star Trek.

Wow, they really got in the old guard for this didn't they! And goodness, after all these years they all look so good. And Nichelle Nichols is just so pretty.

I'm still hoping for some time traveling cameos, maybe somewhere around season 3 when they've got their own identity settled. I'd love them to just randomly run into someone like Riker or Kira or B'Elanna at some point.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:34 PM, starri said:

We have a theme song. Still orchestral, and with nice notes from the TOS theme as it comes in and goes out. 

Reminds me a bit of the VOY theme. 

Check out the board op at 33 seconds.

I like it. 

1 hour ago, Lebanna said:

Wow, they really got in the old guard for this didn't they! And goodness, after all these years they all look so good. And Nichelle Nichols is just so pretty.

Checks IMDB. Nana Visitor is 60? She looks great!

I'm liking what I'm seeing here.  Not quite the Lower Decks show I've wished for maybe but I like the focus on a lower-level crewmember.  I'm also not a fan of serial TV, give me planet of the week episodes goddammit, but it is 2017 and fashions change; my time will come again.  I suppose I can pay CBS for a few months and rewatch some old Survivor while I'm at it...

• Love 2

One last video before the big one.  This focuses on the costume choices.  Regardless of one's opinion on them, the level of detail on them is amazing.

But I share more for the peeks at sets and props, particularly the Shenzhou's cavernous transporter room.

And Sonequa Martin-Green, once again being awesome.

1 hour ago, starri said:

I lied.  Main titles.  Very GoT/James Bond-y.  I assume there will be names there and they're not releasing yet for potential spoilers.

Stupid geo-block. Trying to keep all their videos secret from the rest of the non-US planet isn't very Star Trek, is it?

It's like they don't know we're all going to be watching the episode on Netflix tomorrow morning anyway. 

http://tvline.com/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-ratings-season-1-premiere-cbs/

So almost 10 million live watchers (on a Sunday), record sign ups to All Access and the previous PR statements to the press that the international Netflix deal basically paid off this season?

Plus relatively positive reviews in both the mainstream and geek media? I think (hope) we might just be looking at getting at least a season 2 of this.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2017 at 6:42 AM, starri said:

The fifth and sixth episodes have titles now. "Choose Your Pain," and "Lethe."

These are likely not Harry Mudd episodes....guess he is season finale cliffhanger...

On 06/10/2017 at 3:57 AM, CanadaPhil said:

According to this piece at Engadget STD seems to be a major success so far and CBS is very happy....

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/05/cbs-stream-nine-star-trek-episodes-this-year/

How about they not be scumbags and air this on CBS, or The CW. 

I’m not American, so I get it via Netflix. But this shows success will be evaluated on the scorned American market’s reception.  

And if any show will be vulnerable to pirating and torrents, it’s going to be this show. 

• Love 1

The final three episode titles for this half-season are revealed:  "Magic to Make the Sanest Man go Mad," "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" ("if you want peace, prepare for war"), and "Into the Forest I Go."

Jason Isaacs trolls complainer.

You couldn't be more wrong @Nyrvachan. I could earn much more elsewhere: I took this gig partly because I love Trek, but mostly to annoy you

Jason Isaacs added,

Nyrva @Nyrvachan

Replying to @Nyrvachan @Bradman1000 and 2 others

You take someone like Isaacs or the rest of the cast of ST:D who don't give a shit about Trek and are just there to collect a check.

• Love 7

Anthony Rapp talks about f-bombs and dental hygiene of the future.  I wish we could get a Word of God on whether or not Hugh and Paul are actually married.  They don't wear wedding bands, but they clearly live together, and I don't know if a military organization like Starfleet would be down with two officers just cohabitating.  Half of the sources say they are, half say they aren't.

And this guy posted to Facebook about his late, gay, Trekkie brother who loved Rent.  And Rapp and Wilson Cruz turned out to be wonderful people.

That is great. I am of the opinion that anyone who has problems with this has totally missed the entire point of Star Trek. 

This is a franchise who in their first episode introduced as one of their main characters the product of the love between two entirely different species from different planets, and which just a short time later had the first interracial kiss on American TV. They had a lesbian kiss about twenty years ago. And fifty years after all this started, people are getting upset about two gay guys sharing a sweet moment in their bathroom. Weird.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Season 2 has been confirmed.

Hooooooraaaaaaay!

If there is one huge plus in this new series NOT being on the SkeeVee Channel, it's that we can continue to watch knowing full well it won't be unceremoniously yanked in the off-season with a huge cliffhanger.

That is wonderful! I'm so pleased to hear this today - I was just thinking about whether we'd hear soon this morning when the new episode showed up - because this last episode was so good, I couldn't stand it if we didn't get more.

I'm a Star Trek fan from childhood, but even I am surprised how quickly I've become attached to this show and the characters.

Usually, it takes me at least a year to like ST show this much (with Enterprise, it took a decade, although I got to love it in the end) And it's been a month.

I'm going to forgive 'premium' because we literally have to pay a premium to get it.

Edited by Lebanna

I didn't write this Decider article but it came from my head just the same.

Star Trek: Discovery Or The Orville: WTF Do Trek Fans Really Want?

"But when it comes to Star Trek, I now know that I will never be a capital F Fan, at least not in the way that most Trek fans are, because I want an experimental Trek that adapts to the times, one willing to dig in the dirt of humanity in its search for hope. And I guess almost every other Trek fan I know… wants The Orville."

• Love 9
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

I didn't write this Decider article but it came from my head just the same.

Star Trek: Discovery Or The Orville: WTF Do Trek Fans Really Want?

"But when it comes to Star Trek, I now know that I will never be a capital F Fan, at least not in the way that most Trek fans are, because I want an experimental Trek that adapts to the times, one willing to dig in the dirt of humanity in its search for hope. And I guess almost every other Trek fan I know… wants The Orville."

Yes, this is in my head too. I'm not shocked that perhaps the people shouting loudest prefer The Orville. I haven't seen it yet, but I assume from the sound of it that it's a family hour comedy show for people who enjoy 'The Big Bang Theory' and its spinoffs. Which is fine. BBT gets crazy ratings, way above anything that any actual sci-fi show is getting these days. And it's free to air. I have no interest in picking up another sitcom, but as he says, they're easy to follow, pleasant to watch, cheer you up after a tough day and don't challenge your brain. More people have always and will always go for that option. And that's fine. I love sitcoms too.

DISCO is clearly a good show, has really good mainstream media reviews and has been successful enough to get a second season already. At this point it is doing great for a pay to view show. It's also a show where in order to follow the ongoing story you have to actually sit down, put away your phone and sometimes even read subtitles. You can't miss an episode and fully understand the story. Sometimes sad and disturbing things may happen and the complicated characters may not make the choices you'd hope for them. Adult language could be used. We are now more in the zone of 'Lost', 'Westworld' or 'The Handmaid's Tale'. It's deeper stuff and it's a commitment. You can't watch it with young kids in the room. It's also a more modern way of TV storytelling and something that many people may not be accustomed to yet, or have time for it at this moment in their lives.

We're talking Comfort Food (pizza, ice-cream, chocolate) vs Ferran Adrià (El Bulli). I hope there will always be space enough for both.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 3