Type keyword(s) to search

Hailing Frequencies Open: Media Articles, Casting News, Scheduling

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, starri said:

Some glimpses of the production of S2.  New aliens!  New uniforms!  What appears to be Anson Mount's backside in his Cage-era duds!

Hmm.  So they're definitely transitioning to the classic uniforms of TOS.  Color me impressed.

Some very clever person on TrekBBS realized that using the code name "Samuel" for BabySpock is probably a reference to Kirk's brother.

"I lost a brother once.  I was lucky I got him back."

On 4/29/2018 at 2:57 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Hmm.  So they're definitely transitioning to the classic uniforms of TOS.  Color me impressed.

And the Enterprise is just dropping off new clothing design specs and few bolts of cloth to the Discovery.  :)

• Love 2
On 4/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, starri said:

We're apparently going to see, in addition to the Enterprise, the USS Hiawatha.  They had announced they'd cast comedienne Tig Notaro in the role of her chief engineer a while ago, but some casting breakdowns leaked, and it turns out the character will also be in a wheelchair.  

Starfleet has made Engineering wheelchair accessible? Pike is going to end up in a wheelchair - No Ship For You!

• Love 1
(edited)

Showrunners Ousted for budget problems and abusive behavior; Kurtzman to take over as sole showrunner

Sources say the decision to oust Berg and Harberts was based not on the creative but instead for leadership and operational issues. Production on Discovery's first five episodes of season two are near completion, with Kurtzman likely taking over for episode six and beyond. Berg and Harberts, who were longtime collaborators with original showrunner Fuller, will likely still be credited on the episodes they oversaw. Sources say the budget for the season two premiere ballooned, with the overages expected to come out of subsequent episodes from Discovery's sophomore run. Insiders also stress that Berg and Harberts became increasingly abusive to the Discovery writing staff, with the latter said to have leaned across the writers' room table while shouting an expletive at a member of the show's staff. Multiple writers are said to have been uncomfortable working on the series and had threatened to file a complaint with human resources or quit the series altogether before informing Kurtzman of the issues surrounding Berg and Harberts. After hearing rumors of HR complaints, Harberts is said to have threatened the staff to keep concerns with the production an internal matter.  

In another departure for season two of Star Trek, THR has learned that executive producer Akiva Goldsman did not return to Discovery after serving as Kurtzman's right-hand man during its freshman run. Goldsman was brought in to help build the world of Discovery. The veteran producer, who directed the season one finale, is said to have had a management style and personality that clashed with the writing staff. It's unclear if Goldsman will continue to receive an exec producer credit on season two.

Edited by TheOtherOne

Well, it sounds like a good idea - if people weren't happy we'd start to see the cast leaving otherwise, and that would be a disaster as they are all so good.

It's another opportunity for people who are totally down on the show to moan and gripe, (kind of funny - if you didn't like the show as these guys made it, why complain that they're leaving?) but for the usual snarky fans I'm sure it'll all work out fine.

But this show is TV Marmite. Love or hate.

I'm not complaining that they're leaving. I'm sad that the show has been and shall likely continue to be a mess run by a series of deeply uninspiring people.

• Love 6

My favorite show ages and ages ago was Alias, and Kurtzman had a significant role in production as an EP (and from my perspective oversaw a steep decline in quality) after JJ Abrams mostly left to focus on Lost.  So I’ve never been much of a fan when I see his name pop up because I’m still residually bitter about the crash-and-burn of that show, lol (although on the other hand, I didn’t hate Star Trek Into Darkness like a lot of people seemed to).  That said, it’s great that the old showrunners were replaced if they were that much of a problem for the writing staff—no one deserves a hostile work environment.  It really doesn’t sound good for S2 if they have all these budget problems, though.

• Love 2

CBS TV Studios Announces 5-Year Production Deal with "Star Trek: Discovery" Producer Alex Kurtzman

Alex Kurtzman, a prolific writer-producer of film and television and co-creator of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, has extended his production agreement with CBS Television Studios through 2023. Under the agreement, CBS Television Studios will have exclusive rights to produce all television content created and developed by Kurtzman and his Secret Hideout production banner for the next five years. Heather Kadin serves as president of Kurtzman's company, and Aaron Baiers is senior vice president of television.

As part of the new production deal, Kurtzman will supervise the expansion of CBS' "Star Trek" franchise for television, developing new series, mini-series and other content opportunities, including animation. Under Kurtzman's leadership, the newest addition to the franchise, STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, made an impressive creative and commercial mark in its first season. DISCOVERY launched to widespread critical acclaim and commercial success in the U.S. on CBS All Access and around the world. Production for season two of DISCOVERY is under way, and Kurtzman directed the premiere episode.

In addition to growing CBS' "Star Trek" universe, Kurtzman and Secret Hideout will develop new, original series across the full spectrum of broadcast, cable and streaming platforms. As part of this process, Secret Hideout will expand its production operation, adding diverse voices and cultivating new creative talent to align with the company.

On 5/15/2018 at 6:57 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

And the Enterprise is just dropping off new clothing design specs and few bolts of cloth to the Discovery.  :)

Heh.  I was happy when S1 premiered and they had dropped the gendered uniforms, but now they doing to regress?  For... fanservice? The current-day USN and USAF don't even have gendered uniforms.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DEM said:

Heh.  I was happy when S1 premiered and they had dropped the gendered uniforms, but now they doing to regress?  For... fanservice? The current-day USN and USAF don't even have gendered uniforms.

That doesn't matter.  The classic TOS-era uniforms were gendered, and that's what viewers are going to expect to see in a series that is set less than ten years before the TOS era.  Continuity has to count for SOMETHING, after all!

• Love 2

As were the uniforms of the early episodes of TOS Season 1.  You have Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand) to thank for the change.  She went to the producers and said "You know, I've got great legs.  Why not let me wear something that would let me show them off?" Hence the change to gendered uniforms (including the barely-cover-the-essentials minis with low-cut necklines for the women) early in Season 1.  Women at that stage of the feminist movement wanted the freedom to express their sexuality as freely as men had always been allowed to do, and the actresses actually LOVED the new female uniforms and did their best to make them even more revealing than they were intended to be.  So, in my opinion, it's silly to bemoan the change to the gendered uniforms in STD; it's what would have been expected at some point anyway because the gendered uniforms are clearly established canon.  Better to bite the bullet now and get the change over with than to face who knows how many years of bitching from the purists that the change DIDN'T happen when it should have.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Women at that stage of the feminist movement wanted the freedom to express their sexuality as freely as men had always been allowed to do, and the actresses actually LOVED the new female uniforms and did their best to make them even more revealing than they were intended to be

I don't feel qualified to address the feminist points, but I will say that Nichelle Nichols had GREAT legs.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, starri said:

I don't feel qualified to address the feminist points, but I will say that Nichelle Nichols had GREAT legs.

And she knew how to work them, too.  If you look closely, you can see her in the background trying to hike her skirt up even higher.

On 6/30/2018 at 6:21 PM, legaleagle53 said:

As were the uniforms of the early episodes of TOS Season 1.  You have Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand) to thank for the change.  She went to the producers and said "You know, I've got great legs.  Why not let me wear something that would let me show them off?" Hence the change to gendered uniforms (including the barely-cover-the-essentials minis with low-cut necklines for the women) early in Season 1.  Women at that stage of the feminist movement wanted the freedom to express their sexuality as freely as men had always been allowed to do, and the actresses actually LOVED the new female uniforms and did their best to make them even more revealing than they were intended to be.  So, in my opinion, it's silly to bemoan the change to the gendered uniforms in STD; it's what would have been expected at some point anyway because the gendered uniforms are clearly established canon.  Better to bite the bullet now and get the change over with than to face who knows how many years of bitching from the purists that the change DIDN'T happen when it should have.

But isn't Discovery set in the 'new' timeline, so the change in uniforms could easily be one of the things that changed. 

2 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

But isn't Discovery set in the 'new' timeline, so the change in uniforms could easily be one of the things that changed. 

No.  The showrunners made it clear early on in interviews that it is set in the original timeline.

(edited)
Also, "Short Treks" minisodes to tide us over until the series returns in January.  We're getting four episodes, one about Saru, one about Tillly, one about Harry Mudd, and a fourth one about a new character.
We also got confirmation that we will see Spock, and that we'll be visiting the Kelpian homeworld as well.
Edited by starri
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, starri said:

As with all things Discovery, I'm expecting the reaction to be mixed.  Personally, I'm smiling.  A lot.

I'm super happy. Looks really good. And Tig Notaro in Spaaaaaace is a thing I never knew I needed. 

• Love 1

So am I right in my understanding that Pike will come on to be Lorca II but we don't get any Number One, who I suppose will stay in charge of the Enterprise?  Whyyyyyy

But I find I am looking forward to complaining with you all again next season.

3 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

So am I right in my understanding that Pike will come on to be Lorca II but we don't get any Number One, who I suppose will stay in charge of the Enterprise?  Whyyyyyy

But I find I am looking forward to complaining with you all again next season.

I thought Number One had also been cast.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2018 at 3:43 PM, KimberStormer said:

Ah!  But I didn't see her in that trailer at all?  Or did I just miss it?

She announced it on Twitter.  If I'm parsing things correctly, my guess is that we're going to see more of the Enterprise crew (the ones not with Pike on the Disco, anyway), in the latter half of the season.  We're also going to be checking in on how L'Rell is doing, and she's not in the trailer either.

Anyhoo, Doug Jones is an awesome dude and we can prepare for a visit to Saru's homeworld (not called Kelpia), his family, and the prey species that hunts him.

Fascinating. Quinto looked way too busy, and that's probably a stream they shouldn't cross, if Discovery is to be Prime Universe. Spock's presence yet absence has been a problem for the show and for Michael Burnham's character, so I'm glad to see another Spock.

I'm just hoping Ethan's eyebrow game is on point.

On 01/08/2018 at 8:19 AM, starri said:

She announced it on Twitter.  If I'm parsing things correctly, my guess is that we're going to see more of the Enterprise crew (the ones not with Pike on the Disco, anyway), in the latter half of the season.  We're also going to be checking in on how L'Rell is doing, and she's not in the trailer either.

Anyhoo, Doug Jones is an awesome dude and we can prepare for a visit to Saru's homeworld (not called Kelpia), his family, and the prey species that hunts him.

sdcc18-dscdougint-head.jpg

I guess its not all makeup. 

Beardy Baby Spock is adorable.

Also, Pike is almost helping me not to miss Lorca quite so much. It's going to make the part where he ends up melted in a beepy chair way more painful (50 year old spoiler).

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 2