Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

Some of those social media questions are also MLM strategy. Asking things like 'what are you having for dinner, looking for ideas, and then when someone responds, you PM them a great recipe that contains your product, which they can buy from you. She is pseudo schilling. 

• Love 4

Think of it this way.  If you walk into Sam's and the guy at the DirectTV table says, "How are you today?" . . . he doesn't care how you are.  He's just trying to engage you in a conversation so he can see you DirectTV.

If a member of the Brown family asks you to help them with gift ideas, they don't really want your help.  They're just trying to engage you so they can try to rope you into buying whatever it is they're selling this week - excercise programs, ugly joolry, LulaCrap, green goo, etc.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, AZChristian said:

If a member of the Brown family asks you to help them with gift ideas, they don't really want your help.  They're just trying to engage you so they can try to rope you into buying whatever it is they're selling this week - excercise programs, ugly joolry, LulaCrap, green goo, etc.

Surprised it took so long for them to catch on to the Lularoe. Pretty soon it won't be a "thing" anymore and they'll have to find the next so-called trend.

• Love 4
On December 7, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I am willing to cut Janelle a break.  She is carrying around a lot of extra weight and lately (on the show) she seems to be laboring to walk and you can tell she loses her breath.  It may only be a 20 minute mile, but it's a start. And it's probably more exercise than my fat ass is gonna get today, lol 

It says her heart rate average was 122.  Is that a good number?  Obviously I am no master of workout stats.

Unless you're an athlete, you generally want your heartrate in an aerobic zone.  Start with the number 220 and subtract your age.  The result is your maximum HR.  Multiply that number by .70 and that's your minimum HR.   Settle in the middle, and that's a great goal for an aerobic workout. 

These numbers are used in cardiac stress tests, and how I set my workout goal.  Any number above 220 - your age is an anaerobic workout, and typically part of a workout for certain athletes.   They are short intense workout bursts, in which your body uses more oxygen than is available.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm not a 100% sure how old each wife is, but I'm sure the original three are somewhere near/or under my age (I'm 49).  I have been flirting with perimenopause for quite a many years now and in the last year or two I have had to take some very solid steps to be sure I keep up with my diet and vitamin/supplements.  If I fall behind, or have a rough month I can sink into a pretty weird brain fog.  I get scatty, some days very scatty.  I have caught myself saying things that don't make a whole lot of sense and I tend to lose focus easily, or the opposite...I can hyperfocus.  Often in the wrong direction.

I recognize this in me...but it took time.  I've watched this show from the beginning and I agree that Janelle is just out there these days.  She sometimes seems like she is shopping for her own planet a little early.  Either she was always a scatty person, and the editing is bringing her true personality to light...or her Crone days have arrived! 

Three wives in menopause/perimenopause at the same time.  lolol there is something kinda funny about that. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Unless you're an athlete, you generally want your heartrate in an aerobic zone.  Start with the number 220 and subtract your age.  The result is your maximum HR.  Multiply that number by .70 and that's your minimum HR.   Settle in the middle, and that's a great goal for an aerobic workout. 

These numbers are used in cardiac stress tests, and how I set my workout goal.  Any number above 220 - your age is an anaerobic workout, and typically part of a workout for certain athletes.   They are short intense workout bursts, in which your body uses more oxygen than is available.  

I'm a former competitive runner and have done intense anaerobic interval track workouts to the point of seeing stars and almost passing out. Definitely not for the average person trying to become more fit.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I'm not a 100% sure how old each wife is, but I'm sure the original three are somewhere near/or under my age (I'm 49).  I have been flirting with perimenopause for quite a many years now and in the last year or two I have had to take some very solid steps to be sure I keep up with my diet and vitamin/supplements.  If I fall behind, or have a rough month I can sink into a pretty weird brain fog.  I get scatty, some days very scatty.  I have caught myself saying things that don't make a whole lot of sense and I tend to lose focus easily, or the opposite...I can hyperfocus.  Often in the wrong direction.

I recognize this in me...but it took time.  I've watched this show from the beginning and I agree that Janelle is just out there these days.  She sometimes seems like she is shopping for her own planet a little early.  Either she was always a scatty person, and the editing is bringing her true personality to light...or her Crone days have arrived! 

Three wives in menopause/perimenopause at the same time.  lolol there is something kinda funny about that. 

Christine is 44. Meri 45. Janelle 47. Robyn 38. (I googled).

There's only about 4.5 years difference in Robyn and Christine.

More full term pregnancies = delayed menopause (usually). I think Meri's going to go there first, but none of them are quite there yet. Average age in US is 50, a little bit younger for no pregnancy or few, little bit older for multiple pregnancies. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Combine this with all the daughters who are having PMS.  HA!  Good times in the cul de sac.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Christine is 44. Meri 45. Janelle 47. Robyn 38. (I googled).

There's only about 4.5 years difference in Robyn and Christine.

More full term pregnancies = delayed menopause (usually). I think Meri's going to go there first, but none of them are quite there yet. Average age in US is 50, a little bit younger for no pregnancy or few, little bit older for multiple pregnancies. 

My perimenopause began when I was 36-37.  I've actually had conversations with my husband very similar to the conversation that Janelle and Maddie had while making the dreamcatchers.  I was so fixated on a subject that I couldn't seem to think through it, and I didn't necessarily follow exactly what my husband said to me.  It made him a little more than irritated at me.  Maddies reaction about the whole " MOM! you can't go fishing the morning of my wedding" was a similar reaction that my husband has given me.  We now both recognize when I'm focusing too much and have brain fog, but for awhile it led to a lot of irritated conversations between us.

• Love 3

Janelle isn't a good role model so I don't know why she thinks Strive with Janelle will be successful. Has she actually done anything to motivate anyone? The only thing she does on the show is sit there like Jabba the Hutt. When a famous person starts a brand like that it's because they have something about them that people admire. The last thing I want is a Tshirt that says Strive with Janelle lest people think I want to look like her or worse, act like her. She has literally done nothing to earn people's respect where working out is concerned.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Janelle isn't a good role model so I don't know why she thinks Strive with Janelle will be successful. Has she actually done anything to motivate anyone? The only thing she does on the show is sit there like Jabba the Hutt. When a famous person starts a brand like that it's because they have something about them that people admire. The last thing I want is a Tshirt that says Strive with Janelle lest people think I want to look like her or worse, act like her. She has literally done nothing to earn people's respect where working out is concerned.

Most, if not all, people I know or even don't know but happen to meet or pass by IRL wouldn't even know who the Janelle is that the shirt is referring to.

And no worries about the success - the only reason it exists is to be a plot device on the show.  They don't give a shit if it succeeds or not.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Most, if not all, people I know or even don't know but happen to meet or pass by IRL wouldn't even know who the Janelle is that the shirt is referring to.

And no worries about the success - the only reason it exists is to be a plot device on the show.  They don't give a shit if it succeeds or not.

Has it been mentioned on the show? I haven't seen her get off the couch this season much less do a workout. They really should make her get off her ass.

• Love 3

Ok, I'm confused.  The Strive with Janelle fb page has videos and other things that the website doesn't.  There have been a couple of posts to the website in the past few days but no comments.  But people are commenting on the fb page.  I didn't read any of them.  I'm not liking the fb page.  I don't need any more junk mail on my feed.

Although it's unclear what Strive ACTUALLY is, why would join on the website and pay (I assume) a fee for something (?) that you can get on the fb page for free?

This is just messed up.

ETA:  I found this a little further down in the fb feed.

https://www.strivewithjanelle.com/account/join-us/

So you get a membership for $9.95 a month.  To what?  I still don't get it.  To be in the club?  Support?  Aren't there a million weight loss and fitness forums for free?  I'm back to my orginal point.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 4

I swear they use teen agers from some IT class for this crap.  They never do any User Acceptance testing which is where these kind of issues are uncovered and addressed.  It's essential in communications online that everything is crystal clear.  Show an audience your questions and make sure they are addressed.  Things exactly like:

To what?  I still don't get it.  To be in the club?  Support?  Aren't there a million weight loss and fitness forums for free? 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I swear they use teen agers from some IT class for this crap.  They never do any User Acceptance testing which is where these kind of issues are uncovered and addressed.  It's essential in communications online that everything is crystal clear.  Show an audience your questions and make sure they are addressed.  Things exactly like:

Good.  It's not just me.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

Has it been mentioned on the show? I haven't seen her get off the couch this season much less do a workout. They really should make her get off her ass.

Hasn't been mentioned yet from what I heard (I don't watch) but they're only up to June 2016 and the Strive thing wasn't mentioned in social media until September. 

Plus the website says "As seen on TLC". 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Hasn't been mentioned yet from what I heard (I don't watch) but they're only up to June 2016 and the Strive thing wasn't mentioned in social media until September. 

Plus the website says "As seen on TLC". 

This. Since they only film 2 weeks each month and the most recent episode is June, it could take a bit for the episodes to "catch up" to where Janelle begins this Strive thing.

I hope she succeeds for herself but don't see her as an inspiration for the public to want to purchase training sessions, which are expensive. Looks like she's got actual trainers but as someone already said, the industry is inundated with this kind of thing--theres a gym and trainers on every corner around here. Hers doesn't really stand out except to fans of the show.

• Love 1

Why would I use Janelle as my inspiration when there are people from reality shows like The Biggest Loser who have actually done something to become healthier and succeeded? I guess we are all supposed to rally behind her so that SHE will feel more motivated? She's a terrible spokesperson for working out. I obviously can't say it enough. It's just so ridiculous. This family has absolutely no shame.

Maybe Meri can start a business and sell Tshirts with cute sayings on them about staying committed to one man since she's so good at it. I think she'd be an excellent role model. For 9.95 a month, Nancy can pretend to counsel you. Something like that would be a success I'm sure.

• Love 6

I really really think the whole Strive thing is simply a slapped together business plan put on the books for a tax write off.  Something to have in place to claim when the inevitable bankruptcy happens. I suspect that the "mysisterwivescloset" is something similar.  I have always had in the back of my head that the real reason that Kody swapped marriage certificates is so that Kody/Robyn can set up a bigger purge with a bankruptcy than Robyn can alone.  They get the whole "divorce and adoption" plotline for the show and later they are aligned for financial finangling, just like they have always done.

They have washed themselves of the Lehi house...I'm sure Janelle is thrilled her money went to such a successful investment. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

Why would I use Janelle as my inspiration when there are people from reality shows like The Biggest Loser who have actually done something to become healthier and succeeded? I guess we are all supposed to rally behind her so that SHE will feel more motivated? She's a terrible spokesperson for working out. I obviously can't say it enough. It's just so ridiculous. This family has absolutely no shame.

Maybe Meri can start a business and sell Tshirts with cute sayings on them about staying committed to one man since she's so good at it. I think she'd be an excellent role model. For 9.95 a month, Nancy can pretend to counsel you. Something like that would be a success I'm sure.

I don't see it doing very well. I could see her doing something like this AFTER getting fit and staying fit, not before. I think you're right, it may be more of a way for her to get support. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

This. Since they only film 2 weeks each month and the most recent episode is June, it could take a bit for the episodes to "catch up" to where Janelle begins this Strive thing.

I hope she succeeds for herself but don't see her as an inspiration for the public to want to purchase training sessions, which are expensive. Looks like she's got actual trainers but as someone already said, the industry is inundated with this kind of thing--theres a gym and trainers on every corner around here. Hers doesn't really stand out except to fans of the show.

And on Instagram and FB, virtual trainers/nutritional coaches abound, at all price points including free, with actual credentials (several of whom I know personally, they have thousands upon thousands of followers, real sponsors, and know their stuff inside and out with quantifiable results). 

Did you notice that they don't say what the "training sessions" entail (I noticed last week when I looked at the site that she's changed it to say "for Las Vegas locals only" when it used to be for everyone and apparently they were going to offer virtual training.  zzzz.  They still don't say how long the sessions are, what each session will entail, etc.  I just think this is a plot line for the show, although as @toodles pointed out in October, hardly anyone showed up at the "launch" and apparently the only video camera there was someone using their smartphone.

• Love 5

I still remember an episode of SW, very early on in the season, where a young Logan was talking about how he makes breakfast for his younger siblings and gets them ready for school.  I felt bad for him, as he was just a kid himself.  And where were Meri and Christine when Logan was doing this?  OR KODY?!  We know Janelle was probably rising before dawn, grabbing a to-go coffee and heading out to "work" to avoid all that messy childcare.  So it fell to Logan.

I am so glad he didn't end up like Jana and JD Duggar...the oldest kids in their family who can't seem to leave the nest because they know their parents won't pay enough attention to all their younger siblings.  Fly free, Logan, and don't feel guilty.  You did your part.

• Love 13
On 12/7/2016 at 2:14 PM, ginger90 said:

I used to walk to work. This doesn't seem like a workout time. Or am I wrong? 

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/806526369093947393/photo/1

On 12/7/2016 at 3:29 PM, DakotaJustice said:

I agree with you, even if she had the treadmill on an 15% incline, that's painfully slow.  My dad is 84 with heart issues and I KNOW he does a mile on the treadmill in less than 20 minutes!!  that's only 3 miles an hour. Of course, that might just be where she's at, fitness level wise.  I hope for her sake that isn't the only cardio she's doing all day.

I can't knock her taking 20 min to walk a mile because that's what I do comfortably.  I have short legs!  But I can also do 3 miles without getting too dizzy and tired.  It's really a joke to boast that you walked 1 mile.  I have a friend who's sister would a lot of times post stuff like she walked .5 miles or something... or she has a stationary bike and she only 'road' 1 mile.  gimme a break!

On 12/11/2016 at 11:23 AM, ginger90 said:

First place I would go for advice on what to get my children for Christmas? Not Twitter, lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/807595725097795584?p=v

How about she maybe just ask them.....??? You're in a bad spot if you have to ask strangers for ideas for your kids.  Most kids know their parents' limits and can at least suggest gift cards they could use.  I always give a list of items I would like for xmas.  All price ranges and including gift cards to where I like to shop or eat. 

14 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

How come the girlfriend has no head?

probably because the girlfriend is the one that posted it and only wanted it focused on Logan.

On 12/7/2016 at 2:26 PM, AZChristian said:

A 20-minute mile is not pushing very hard.  And to make it exactly one mile is the sign of someone who is just doing the least amount possible to "qualify" for a workout.

I had a knee replacement less than 6 months ago.  I am going to be 70 next week.  I am overweight.  Even with all that, this report isn't something I'd brag about.

I don't know. A 20 minute mile seems to me to be about average. A few years ago, I lived exactly one mile door-to-door from work. I walked pretty much every day, barring exceptional cold  in the winter or some crazy amount of rain the rest of the year. I was able to get down to a 15 minute mile "speed walking", and to go any faster would've required a change in gait from "walking" to "jogging" (at least). And I'm 5 foot 11 inches, if that matters.

• Love 2

Logan and Michele are a nice looking couple. Where do they live, how long have they been together?  Any details welcome. Is she Mormon? 

My advice:  If you choose to marry, elope. You can have a very special experience with a couple of friends present.  

• Love 3
On 12/20/2016 at 2:04 PM, MrSmith said:

I don't know. A 20 minute mile seems to me to be about average. A few years ago, I lived exactly one mile door-to-door from work. I walked pretty much every day, barring exceptional cold  in the winter or some crazy amount of rain the rest of the year. I was able to get down to a 15 minute mile "speed walking", and to go any faster would've required a change in gait from "walking" to "jogging" (at least). And I'm 5 foot 11 inches, if that matters.

I was curious  about this because  I am  trying  to walk   more and looked it up average  time to walk   a mile is between  17 to 20 minutes .  I just did a mile in 15 minutes , I am 60 years  old and 5 foot 2 inches but I am also not 100 pounds  overweight  either.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I saw something on social media where Logan said he and Mariah were not Mormon or AUB and he was inviting her out for a drink for her 21st birthday. 

Excellent.  I doubt any of the kids will be religious at all or follow anything their parents want for them!  There is no reason why they should either.  They get to create their own lives just as their parents did. 

I am not so sure Kody et all would even disapprove.  I don't see much evidence of them pushing religion or a polygamy lifestyle.  

I think they have embraced Mariah's sexually without angst, too.  Kody is a pinhead but I don't  remember ever seeing him judge anyone.  

I wonder when this family is going to splinter. 

Meri has one foot out and her trip next week may bring her the friend she needs to help with the other one. She needs a place to land. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

His girlfriend's name is Mariah?  That's kind of.....um......creepy.

No, he meant his sister Mariah. His girlfriend's name is Michelle.

I think I've seen Libertarian tweets from Kody in the past, so at least politically, he's not opposed to gay marriage. 

Edited by sucker4reality
  • Love 2

It it is clear that the young Kody got caught up in plural marriage without the religious conviction you see in many who embrace it.  It turned into a train with no breaks.  That train has slowed down.  Things are changing and more interesting stuff is on the horizon I hope. 

We aren't going to see much of Logan.  I think he has made it clear he does not want to be on the show or talked about.  A cameo Is all we will get.  Maddie and Corey will be MIA too.   I am more interested in them plus Mariah at this point.  

Good luck with keeping this cash cow afloat, TLC.  You have to give us more than just Kody. 

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I was curious  about this because  I am  trying  to walk   more and looked it up average  time to walk   a mile is between  17 to 20 minutes .  I just did a mile in 15 minutes , I am 60 years  old and 5 foot 2 inches but I am also not 100 pounds  overweight  either.

And in the context of trying to "work out" . . . a 20-minute mile is not that great.  I'm 70, just under 5' tall and chubby . . . but I did a 20-minute mile frequently before my knee replacement.  I'm trying to work back up to it now.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And in the context of trying to "work out" . . . a 20-minute mile is not that great.  I'm 70, just under 5' tall and chubby . . . but I did a 20-minute mile frequently before my knee replacement.  I'm trying to work back up to it now.

That's a good point: In the context of trying to work out, a 20 minute mile is not good. At the same time, considering how overweight Janelle is, it might be pretty good for her. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I looked at the STRIVE web site once about 3 weeks ago and so I can't remember very much of what it's pushing for exercise. That said, people really need to learn they need to do strength training in addition to cardio; women especially because they favor cardio over strength training and they need to learn that there's a whole range of body shapes between "300 pound weakling" and "Mrs Olympia". My wife did strength training with me when we had the time to go to the gym and it's enabled her to keep the weight off. Men also need to learn that they need strength training and cardio because they tend to eschew the cardio in favor of the strength training.

• Love 4
On 12/14/2016 at 5:42 PM, Nowhere said:

No doubt.

And not for nothing, but Janelle doesn't need a workout coach, she needs a shrink. Her problem is emotional, not physical. She is consuming an awful lot of calories to maintain that kind of weight. She is feeding her dysfunction, and a mile on the treadmill will never ever fix it. I say this as someone who is significantly overweight, and I know my problem is between my ears.  Weight loss is simple in concept: Eat less, move more.  We know what to do, we just don't do it.  The why is what you need to find out, and address. After that, you can find a weight-loss/workout coach.  But there is no use trying to paddle the boat before you fix the hole in the hull.

On 12/20/2016 at 5:01 PM, sucker4reality said:

No, he meant his sister Mariah. His girlfriend's name is Michelle.

I think I've seen Libertarian tweets from Kody in the past, so at least politically, he's not opposed to gay marriage. 

He can't be; his whole schtick is to oppose the "one man/one woman" rule, he can't afford to lose the other population with the same agenda. Doesn't mean he wouldn't freak out privately about his kid coming out.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, MamaMax said:

No doubt.

And not for nothing, but Janelle doesn't need a workout coach, she needs a shrink. Her problem is emotional, not physical. She is consuming an awful lot of calories to maintain that kind of weight. She is feeding her dysfunction, and a mile on the treadmill will never ever fix it. I say this as someone who is significantly overweight, and I know my problem is between my ears.  Weight loss is simple in concept: Eat less, move more.  We know what to do, we just don't do it.  The why is what you need to find out, and address. After that, you can find a weight-loss/workout coach.  But there is no use trying to paddle the boat before you fix the hole in the hull.

I was thinking about this and came up with the same thoughts. The average person generally doesn't realize that exercise, while a good thing, doesn't burn as many calories as they think and it is very easy to "out eat" a workout. If I run 7 miles, I'm only burning 700 calories and it's surprisingly easy to eat that back if I'm not mindful (which I obsessively am). 

I feel for Janelle and wish her the best on her journey towards fitness.  If she happens to be an emotional eater (compounded with whatever other challenges she faces), it'll be harder for her and those deep rooted issues need to be recognized.

• Love 2

I get what she's going for , however, being unavailable on purpose (not because you are at work or something) isn't coming across too well, for me

https://www.strivewithjanelle.com/philosophy/let-meedom-ring/

I think it's fine--especially if it's health and self-improvement.  People need to make time or themselves, especially in a family THAT large with so much going on. 

Unless there's an emergency that comes up, my family and friends are used to me making time to go running daily. Even if it's holiday time when we're visiting home back in the midwest. For me, this is therapy/fitness combined. After my workout, I devote my time to others, work or whatever else needs done. I think it's fine for Janelle to promote this kind of thing. 

• Love 2

I get it, believe me. This, from Janelle:

I created a habit. I started setting aside a time for just me: early in the morning before anyone really needs me. Notice the emphasis on really. As I devoted time for myself I realized that my family adjusted to me being unavailable. “Needs” began to wait until after that hour—some even got solved by the “needer” themselves. And wouldn’t you know, the sky has yet to fall!

just hits me the wrong way. Could just be me, it wouldn't be the first time, lol!

• Love 2