Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

OK, the "event" should be over now. Wonder how Toodles did? How long do we have to wait until we file a report with the police???

It's up.  I had to go to work first.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Very glad you survived, Toodles, and thanks for the inside scoop!

I must know...is Aspyn's hair as glorious in real life as it appears on tv? :)

My pleasure.  Her hair is beautiful.  Christine has beautiful hair too.

• Love 3

So, basically another Brown Family Scam Business rather than something that Janelle is doing on her own. Of course Kody had to be the first one to talk.

I bet they had a friend buy the goody bags to try and promote purchasing.

Thanks for taking one for the team, Toodles! 

• Love 7

I think Janelle is a shill for this company.  They couldn't have come up with this on their own.  I think she is very sincere about what she is trying to accomplish, but this is too big for a MSWC scam.  

• Love 2

I made an account just to thank you for your report, TOODLES!  I saw Janelle on the facebook live stream say that by signing up today you get a deal.    I gave my email as I am curious what these grifters are charging.  I have gone through the whole website and am still confused as to what they are selling and where you purchase it.   There is a lot of motivation but I see no program or direction.  Can anyone help me out?  

Also, I don't understand this family and their business methods.  The whole jewelry business was ridiculous, why not just open an Etsy shop?  Now this fitness thing?  Why doesn't Janelle try getting a job at Curves or something?  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, lettsjetts said:

I made an account just to thank you for your report, TOODLES!  I saw Janelle on the facebook live stream say that by signing up today you get a deal.    I gave my email as I am curious what these grifters are charging.  I have gone through the whole website and am still confused as to what they are selling and where you purchase it.   There is a lot of motivation but I see no program or direction.  Can anyone help me out?  

Also, I don't understand this family and their business methods.  The whole jewelry business was ridiculous, why not just open an Etsy shop?  Now this fitness thing?  Why doesn't Janelle try getting a job at Curves or something?  

Aww,  thank you.  I'm handing the STRIVE baton to you.  As I mentioned, there really was no outlining the program other than online coaching and board access.  I think the purpose of this event was to get everyone pumped for more info.  Since there was really no one  to pump, the event was a big dud.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 8

Why was Kody's big dumb butt there?  I thought this was Janelle's *thing* ...  I can understand pressing the kids into helping out.  And the other wives being there for moral support.  But why did Kody have to be an actual part of the presentation?  It didn't appear to me he was involved when I looked at the web site.

Toodles, do you think it was just his gigantic ego at work or do you think he is actually involved in the running of the operation?  I admit I have no interest in becoming involved in STRIVE, but hearing Kody is a part of it would definitely make me forget about it if I were so inclined.  There is just no plus to involving him that I can see!

Thanks so much for doing this, toodles!!!!  You're the best! 

• Love 5

Perhaps if Janelle had done this without the Sister Wives connection, I would think better of it. But even her real estate site mentions the Sister Wive connection. She should STRIVE to seperate.

• Love 6

As far as Kody's involvement, I would say he is.  He seemed really invested in the process.  I would have thought, though, he could have shook people's hand, posed for pictures and said thank you for coming as people came in.  I mean seriously, there were MAYBE 10 people who weren't friends or relatives.  If you want people to buy what you're selling, you should be nice.  Meri sat in the front row by herself.  I didn't see Christine until it was ready to start.  A HALF HOUR LATE.  

It's not like the room was full.  The Browns could have mingled while everyone was waiting and looking at their watches.  Instead they were yakking with people they seemed to know.  Meri didn't say anything to anyone.  If I had come from far away instead of 10 minutes, I would have been pissed.

This was a really low key event.  I was out by 11:00 'cause it was done.

• Love 11
57 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Why was Kody's big dumb butt there?  I thought this was Janelle's *thing* ...  I can understand pressing the kids into helping out.  And the other wives being there for moral support.  But why did Kody have to be an actual part of the presentation?  It didn't appear to me he was involved when I looked at the web site.

Toodles, do you think it was just his gigantic ego at work or do you think he is actually involved in the running of the operation?  I admit I have no interest in becoming involved in STRIVE, but hearing Kody is a part of it would definitely make me forget about it if I were so inclined.  There is just no plus to involving him that I can see!

You're welcome.  I would like to think he was supporting his wife, but nahhhh.

21 minutes ago, toodles said:

You're welcome.  I would like to think he was supporting his wife, but nahhhh.

Can't he do that from the audience?  

Schmuck.

34 minutes ago, toodles said:

This was a really low key event.  I was out by 11:00 'cause it was done.

So I guess you didn't have to do the leave-an-empty-shopping-bag-behind thing or pretend you had to leave to take a call, lol

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Knowing Kody it probably was Janelle's thing but he butted his fat head into it. I don't think it occurs to him that Janelle might want to do something without him. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, toodles said:

Well he is the headship and all.  I think Janelle was really sincere about this.  For her sake, I hope this isn't an all Browns on deck cf.

No kidding. If she is sincere, she deserves better support than this group of dumbasses. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

She may be sincere... but it's a dumb business idea, no amount of sincerity will help, Kody or no Kody.

I agree.  This was no different than anything a million infomercial people are already doing.  I know that it's difficult to get started when you are seriously overweight, but weight watchers (for example) is really a good program for this type of person.  I also know being extremely overweight is a very isolating and lonely experience.  I believe some people will pay money just for the friendship.  Online coaches won't go to the gym with you and show you how to use the machines.  A quality gym can help you with that.  There are tons of boards if you want online support.

I don't see how this program is anything unique in the marketplace.

Maybe Janelle should have watched some really late night TV before starting this.  Because being a d- celebrity is not enough to launch a worldwide program.  My guess is signing up the coaches is where their money is.  

• Love 3

I expect they thought they would get decent attendance just because they're TV reality "stars" and I'll bet Kody thought he would be a bigger draw than Janelle. Despite the title of the show Kody seems to think he's the lead performer. It pleases me a wee bit to think about how shocked and embarrassed they might have been by the turnout. And by the way, TLC, did you notice the overwhelming disinterest?

Am I the only one who wonders if Robyn's baby really is sick? Her absence seems, well, interesting.

Oh yeah, and huge thanks to toodles for the report!

Edited by momofsquid
gratitude
  • Love 8

First off, thanks a whole lot Toodles for your report. It is much appreciated. Also, it is great that you survived the Great Brown sales pitch.

Based on what Toodles has written, I strongly believe Strive will flop. There are just so much that is wrong with the Brown family whole approach. They are still overestimating their fame and misunderstanding their fan base.

However, I will say that the accountability part had me laughing my head off. The Brown family spent the majority of their adulthood as a polygamous family. They claim that even though they have major problems, they are still a strong, united family that helped each other out when needed. They were able to put Kody on a nightly sex rotation schedule but they couldn't put themselves on a exercise rotation schedule? (Pre-Robyn) What was stopping Janelle from joining a gym while Christine, Meri, or Kody watched the kids? Let's say they didn't have the resources or money to do the whole exercise thing. What was stopping them after they landed Sister Wives and added yet another woman to the harem?

On her website, Janelle wrote the following:

Why Me? Why Now?

Not too long ago, I reached an all¬-time low in my physical health. While my life was going great- my kids were flourishing, and I was busy with work-I was in my largest clothing size ever. I couldn’t even walk up the stairs without being winded, and getting off the couch was a real effort. I had to use my hands to push me up and into a standing position. I was weak and I was tired. I felt defeated on all levels and battled to find the time and energy to get myself to the gym, or even outside for a walk. I struggled to motivate myself to cook meals at home, defaulting to unhealthy eating because I was so exhausted. I knew then I had to make a change, but it just seemed like I was too far gone.

Based on that paragraph, if I didn't know Janelle was in a polygamous marriage with several adults, I would have assumed she was a hard working single mom whose life was so busy that she couldn't find the time to worry about her health.

But that is not the case. She is a woman who has THREE sister wives and a husband. That means, if they were/are as close as they claimed to be on their show, the women could have organized their lives whereas two of the wives would help to cook the ENTIRE family healthy meals while two of the wives were off at the gym (there are gyms in Las Vegas, right?) and Kody along with the older children would help to watch the younger children. There is absolutely NO reason any of those women (again if they were as close and helpful to each other as claimed), Kody, or any of their children to be overweight unless there was a medical problem.

Now she wants to talk about accountability (where the hell were her sister wives and her babies' daddy the whole time she was eating herself to obesity?) and how she wants to strive to lose weight while asking fans to pull out their credit cards and purchase what she is selling? In what universe would that ever make sense?

I truly hope she is 10000% sincere about losing weight and will continue to do so even if Strive doesn't make it. If she's only doing it to gain a pay check to help feed her and all of Kody's families, she is in for a rude awakening.

• Love 9

They would probably have gotten better attendance if they held this thing while their show was airing.

They probably thought that we fans needed to see them as soon as possible as we have been yearning for news of their mesmerizing family.   Dream on, grifters.

I echo the thanks to Toodles for taking one for the team. I would have needed an immediate shower after being in a room with Kodster.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, toodles said:

Brown math.  Kody asked everyone to move to the front.  The girl that was doing the live feed was against the wall and filming at an angle. She didn't film the 200 empty seats

We might see the back of toodles head and the other 20 people magnified to look like 500 in a special edition of the Sister Wives lol.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Rainflower said:

Why Me? Why Now?

Not too long ago, I reached an all¬-time low in my physical health. While my life was going great- my kids were flourishing, and I was busy with work-I was in my largest clothing size ever. I couldn’t even walk up the stairs without being winded, and getting off the couch was a real effort. I had to use my hands to push me up and into a standing position. I was weak and I was tired. I felt defeated on all levels and battled to find the time and energy to get myself to the gym, or even outside for a walk. I struggled to motivate myself to cook meals at home, defaulting to unhealthy eating because I was so exhausted. I knew then I had to make a change, but it just seemed like I was too far gone.

...um...I remember these words from Janelle a couple of years ago, especially mentioning having to use her hands to get to a standing position.  Years ago as in before she DID get a personal trainer and she DID go to the gym.  This makes it all sound like the time that was actually caught on film and shown on national television that Janelle was working hard working out, smashing her dreaded bathroom scale and everyone could see for themselves that she was losing weight.  This quote makes it sound like that time never happened.  Once again the Browns rewrite history!!  And history from the actual show itself.  Wow....

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

...um...I remember these words from Janelle a couple of years ago, especially mentioning having to use her hands to get to a standing position.  Years ago as in before she DID get a personal trainer and she DID go to the gym.  This makes it all sound like the time that was actually caught on film and shown on national television that Janelle was working hard working out, smashing her dreaded bathroom scale and everyone could see for themselves that she was losing weight.  This quote makes it sound like that time never happened.  Once again the Browns rewrite history!!  And history from the actual show itself.  Wow....

Tlc had reruns a couple of weeks ago and reruns are not their friend.  MSWC was supposed to make $10million this year.  That's what Janelle told the "investors"'.  

It's like the trainer Sean stuff never happened.  Smdh.

• Love 4

There is a Planet Fitness ($10 per month) less than 10 miles from the cult-de-sac.  But I guess it's more the Brown style to gather a bunch of trainers and motivational speakers at a high-priced Las Vegas hotel convention center.  At least the latter option doesn't require any of them to actually raise a sweat.

• Love 8

So it's basically a bunch of fitness coaches under a brand name.  No products other than that on the website - i think this is getting confused with supplements under similar names.  Anyway there's nothing listed on the website.  Were they selling supplements?

There are TONS of fitness coaches just on Instagram selling programs.  TONS.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Yes, but none of them are affiliated with the World Famous Browns.  Obviously the tremendous fame and rampant fandom associated with Sister Wives will lift them above the mundane others.

• Love 5

What I find interesting is the lack of cameras. 

Toodles, you said the person videoing the event was using her phone? 

One would think that the production company would have had at least one camera there. 

I'm wondering if the fitness coaches asked TLC for $$$. TLC is notoriously cheap and at least one of those guys touts himself as an "actor/movie star", even though they apparently don't have much of a following seeing as they're local and the tickets were free - I have colleagues (fitness instructors) who can make a couple of announcements in class and post on their IG and FB about fundraisers and literally hundreds of people will show up.  

Damn - these people have NO network whatsoever. 

• Love 4

Well, now we know that Janelle is not smarter-than-your-average-Brown.  I would have expected Meri to have gotten hooked up in something like this, not Janelle.  I bet this is Kody's "brain child."  Maybe the green goo is not selling so well these days. Janelle, go get yourself a j.o.b.

• Love 2

There was a person filming with a professional-looking video camera and someone else taking pictures.  The video camera was in the middle aisle facing the stage.   I thought the video camera person would do the live stream, but I guess not.  The website says it's a great success but it looked a little sad to me.

I don't know what a tlc filming looks like, but the photographers looked like just regular people they hired to me.

I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but Janelle was on a morning news show promoting this thing.  The show is on the CW channel and it starts at 4:00 or 4:30 am.  I saw that on the website.  It's a local show.

I'm not social media savvy, but as dj said, there are so many ways to promote an event.  You would think they would spend the dough and hire a pr person to promote the hell out of it.  

Edited by toodles
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Well, now we know that Janelle is not smarter-than-your-average-Brown.  I would have expected Meri to have gotten hooked up in something like this, not Janelle.  I bet this is Kody's "brain child."  Maybe the green goo is not selling so well these days. Janelle, go get yourself a j.o.b.

Meri might still be in the doghouse. After all she did embarrassed Kody and the polygamous lifestyle after that whole "I'm running away with a monogamous man" situation. Kody may not love her like he used to but he still needs her to fill a quota (how else will he be able to puff out his chest and brag about having FOUR wives to monogamous male losers who only have one wife/girlfriend?). Kody probably doesn't want to take a chance with Meri in case she starts flirting with another man and runs off for real this time.

After all, finding a replacement wife who is into polygamy, dumb enough to hand over her paycheck to make sure his children and other wives have food and a roof over their heads, is young, childless, and hot is hard to do in a country where the majority of the women are monogamous.

Edited by Rainflower
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

So it's basically a bunch of fitness coaches under a brand name.  No products other than that on the website - i think this is getting confused with supplements under similar names.  Anyway there's nothing listed on the website.  Were they selling supplements?

They didn't mention any supplements.  They only mentioned a coaching network.  As I said before, this struck me as something you can find anywhere if you do a Google search.  It's not like you are hiring a private trainer to come to your home.  My impression was this is an online program.  But they spent very little time explaining what the program actually is.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, toodles said:

They didn't mention any supplements.  They only mentioned a coaching network.  As I said before, this struck me as something you can find anywhere if you do a Google search.  It's not like you are hiring a private trainer to come to your home.  My impression was this is an online program.  But they spent very little time explaining what the program actually is.

Ya, I've seen comments and links from others saying she's selling supplements but so far it's just other unrelated products/companies with similar names. Amway for example has a line of supplements called "Strive" or "Thrive". I've seen that linked a couple times. 

I myself have a fitness coach who I've been working with for 2 years now, through my local MaxMuscle. I see him once a week (actually more than that as he and his wife are now friends of mine) and we have shared spreadsheets on Google Sheets where I record my training and macro intake daily. At our meetings he does a 7-site body fat caliper check, adjusts my macros, and gives me advice. 

He KNOWS me and customizes my program to suit. 

Will these trainers KNOW their online clients? Doubtful.

• Love 4

Thanks, @toodles!  Great behind-the-scenes reporting!

Kody was there (with his chest puffed out, LOL) because everything is about Kody.  Did he look like he always looks on the show - frazzled, messy caveman-hair, distressed jeans and an untucked shirt?

Meri sat by herself?  Interesting.

Sounds like a typical Brown-organized mess.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Kody was there (with his chest puffed out, LOL) because everything is about Kody.

From what I saw of the first few minutes of the live stream, that wasn't his chest puffed out, that was his pregnant belly sticking out. Jeez that guy has put on some weight.

Disclaimer: so have I.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, toodles said:

I hope if they are doing the coaching network route that no one falls for it. It could ruin coaches who attempt to start out online. It is way better to start something on your own than to start something under someone or under a company.

Strive with Janelle doesn't seem like it will be a great success. If they couldn't explain what the program was and if they can't even update their blog (the ticker is in the negative. It's very tacky for a blog owner to not update such things. Makes the site looks as if it isn't being maintained properly). How the hell is she going to run a health and wellness blog if she cannot even take the time out of her busy schedule to update her blog now?

Additionally, they missed the opportunity to upload a promo video after their sloppy meet and great to the front page of Strive. Even though they had a small turn out, word of mouth (good or bad, offline or online) would have sent a bit of traffic to their site. The Promo video would have helped the Browns give their audience some idea of what strive is all about. They should have followed that promo with a detailed blog post and pictures. Next would be a teaser blog post and/or video to entice people to sign up via email for more information (this would be the start of their emailing lists which would later come in handy for giving out free goodies, special offers, etc.).

I was reading the links under the Press Inquiries.

Seems interesting but no in-depth details of where the money will be coming from unless she is taking a cut from the coaches, using adsense/affiliated marketing, etc.

• Love 3

I checked my e-mail this morning and I would have thought sending a thank you blast email  to people that actually attended would have been the first thing they did.

Not updating the blog is pretty bad.  This has my MSWC written all over it.  You would have thought they would learn.  I guess not.  Hard work and commitment are not in their vocabulary.  If they are waiting for SW to come back, it could be a loooooong wait.

Edited by toodles
clarification and it's Monday
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, toodles said:

I checked my e-mail this morning and I would have thought they would have at least sent a thank you blast email  to people that actually attended would have been the first thing they did.

Not updating the blog is pretty bad.  This has my MSWC written all over it.  You would have thought they would learn.  I guess not.  Hard work and commitment are not in their vocabulary.  If they are waiting for SW to come back, it could be a loooooong wait.

This just confirms the sense of entitlement that many of us see in this group.  They seem to believe they are entitled to have people (or TV channels) give them money just because they are so wonderful.  They don't have to DO anything for it . . . they are just entitled to it.

• Love 11
42 minutes ago, toodles said:

I checked my e-mail this morning and I would have thought they would have at least sent a thank you blast email  to people that actually attended would have been the first thing they did.

You know, that is just pitiful. They don't even have to send individual thank you emails. There are programs and sites, etc. that can do that for them. Just plug in the emails with names, write a thank you note, and hit send. Their laziness and greediness never cease to amaze me.

8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

This just confirms the sense of entitlement that many of us see in this group.  They seem to believe they are entitled to have people (or TV channels) give them money just because they are so wonderful.  They don't have to DO anything for it . . . they are just entitled to it.

Reminds me of the time when Kody mentioned he was shocked at all the hate he received when he came out as a polygamous. He assumed since LGBQT has been accepted by mainstream society, polygamy would be welcomed with open arms. I guess he ignored the many generations of activism and countless of deaths that happened to those who were gay or lesbian before the LGBQT community got the recognition and rights that they have today. One can't just waltz into the public arena on the coat tail of another group and demand society accept their lifestyle.

The Brown family's sense of entitlement, lack of commitment to working, greediness, etc. is what keeps them broke and chasing money and the dreams of a rich lifestyle like they do.

They can't seem to hold on to any business nowadays. Whatever happened to Janelle's real estate business? Did that flop as well?

• Love 7