Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

Am I the only person here who feels that she didn't actually write that blog post? It's definitely not original, it sounds like something Oprah (along with countless fitness personalities) have said in the past a bazillion times. The lack of comments says volumes.

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I get it, believe me. This, from Janelle:

I created a habit. I started setting aside a time for just me: early in the morning before anyone really needs me. Notice the emphasis on really. As I devoted time for myself I realized that my family adjusted to me being unavailable. “Needs” began to wait until after that hour—some even got solved by the “needer” themselves. And wouldn’t you know, the sky has yet to fall!

just hits me the wrong way. Could just be me, it wouldn't be the first time, lol!

"...I realized that my family adjusted to my being unavailable." 

I get that a lot of her time in the past funded the family "lifestyle" - a rare and beautiful thing in this pack. I understand (and agree with) what she's trying to convey here. But this sentence makes me want to find her and punch her lights out. Even when she's in the room, it's pretty clear she's still "unavailable."

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I created a habit. I started setting aside a time for just me: early in the morning before anyone really needs me. Notice the emphasis on really. As I devoted time for myself I realized that my family adjusted to me being unavailable. “Needs” began to wait until after that hour—some even got solved by the “needer” themselves. And wouldn’t you know, the sky has yet to fall!

just hits me the wrong way. Could just be me, it wouldn't be the first time, lol!

I think the idea of people taking time for themselves versus being 100% available is relatively "new" and may strike some as off-putting somehow, but it's starting to catch on. The agency I work for finds it important enough that it allows its emergency responders 3 hours per week--PAID hours--to devote to fitness. And there are companies out there now also promoting time for health and wellness. 

For people like Janelle, taking this time could be critical. It's already easy to make excuses NOT to exercise given how busy people are. Devoting this time is a step in the right direction, especially for folks who have desk jobs. 

• Love 6
On 12/22/2016 at 0:44 PM, DakotaJustice said:

Am I the only person here who feels that she didn't actually write that blog post? It's definitely not original, it sounds like something Oprah (along with countless fitness personalities) have said in the past a bazillion times. The lack of comments says volumes.

I don't believe she wrote it.

• Love 3

I think Jenelle has an eating disorder, and is likely a food addict/compulsive over eater. For someone who struggles daily with this, it's not as simple as eat less and exercise more.  It's a complete overhaul of how to think, feel, and behave. It has required years of therapy and support to even remotely start acting sane again.  

• Love 14
6 hours ago, AdorkableWitch said:

I think Jenelle has an eating disorder, and is likely a food addict/compulsive over eater. For someone who struggles daily with this, it's not as simple as eat less and exercise more.  It's a complete overhaul of how to think, feel, and behave. It has required years of therapy and support to even remotely start acting sane again.  

That plus genetics and medication can make t impossible to be a healthy size and shape. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, AdorkableWitch said:

As someone who's been anorexic, eating disorders are a lifelong struggle. I don't really know if an eating disorder is what Janelle is struggling with but if she is, I feel for her and which her the best. 

• Love 6

Janelle will never seek therapy, not true therapy, because she knows polygamy is not working for her, and she doesn't want anyone to point it out. She wanted Kody. She campaigned to him the benefits she would bring. She works and gives up her money to the family, because it allows her to be with Kody. She put up with Meri until she couldn't any longer, and continued to have children for Kody's planet to keep him coming around, even though she doesn't seem to like motherhood. 

A therapist would address her issues with food by making her look at her life and think about when she eats, if it is emotional or boredom, ect., and she has been on the roller-coaster for long enough to know her triggers. If she doesn't want to seek therapy, she could see a Registered Dietitian. A real R.D., not someone who calls their self a nutritionist, which has no standard and could be someone who reads info on the internet. In fact, I've seen R.D.'s since childhood because of an inflammatory bowel disease and could probably call myself a nutritionist with the info I have gained throughout the years. An actual R.D. will sit down with her food journals, without judgment, and make a plan. She could then share that info with her followers, which may actually be helpful to others. Of course, she wouldn't be able to shill the supplements, so it's unlikely she would be interested in that either. 

• Love 8
On 12/25/2016 at 4:46 AM, AdorkableWitch said:

@Christina above made some good points about Janelle.  For Janelle to make a breakthrough, though, and lose the weight, she'd have to admit some things to herself that are probably so deeply buried, it would take quite some time and an exceptional therapist (in other words, NOT NANCY) to get to her...starting with her divorce and subsequent insistence on marrying her ex-sister in law's husband.  The fact that Nancy never touches on this is a complete waste of therapy.  I am so tired of listening to these women talk around every single elephant in every single room of the cuddle-sac.  

• Love 11
8 hours ago, laurakaye said:

@Christina above made some good points about Janelle.  For Janelle to make a breakthrough, though, and lose the weight, she'd have to admit some things to herself that are probably so deeply buried, it would take quite some time and an exceptional therapist (in other words, NOT NANCY) to get to her...starting with her divorce and subsequent insistence on marrying her ex-sister in law's husband.  The fact that Nancy never touches on this is a complete waste of therapy.  I am so tired of listening to these women talk around every single elephant in every single room of the cuddle-sac.  

The right therapist definitely matters. what they're doing for the show, that doesn't feel like the kind of stuff that really tackles deep issues. It's like fake therapy for television. You're right, they talk around it every time. They should take the therapist out of the episodes and do some actual therapy where they can't dance around the subject. 

• Love 3
On December 22, 2016 at 0:10 PM, ginger90 said:

Oh they learned to deal alright, one of her kids had to get up and help get all the other kids ready for school, feed, clothe, get the homework together, etc. This went on for years! All the kids' formative years. She tried to pull that crap the morning of her daughters' wedding! Janelle is all about "me" time. She's a selfish, lazy slob who does very little for anybody else. She can't even get her act together to help Meri decorate thanksgiving (shows up with nothing, not even a thought, leaves with nothing but resentment) or even help at Maddie's wedding! She did NOTHING the entire 2-hour special! 

She's absolutely gross. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 8
22 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Oh they learned to deal alright, one of her kids had to get up and help get all the other kids ready for school, feed, clothe, get the homework together, etc. then she tried to pull that crap the morning of her daughters' wedding! Janelle is all about "me" time. She's a selfish, lazy slob who does very little for anybody else. She can't even get her act together to help Meri decorate thanksgiving (shows up with nothing, not even a thought, leaves with nothing but resentment) or even help at Maddie's wedding! She did NOTHING the entire 2-hour special! 

She's absolutely gross. 

Amen to all of this. And I don't even watch the show, but I do remember poor Logan in the very first episode waking up early and fixing breakfast for his siblings while making sure they got ready for school. 

The first season made it sound like Janelle was just this amazing woman getting up early to drive to work and earn money. I always saw it differently - she got to leave all the grunt work that she didn't want to deal with to Christine while she sat in an office, drank coffee and ate snacks while pushing paper in a cush office job. 

You're right, it had always been about ME time for Janelle. 

Everyone gives credit to the Brown adults for having good kids but after reading about Alexander Hamilton and listening to the soundtrack of the musical, I see it another way- Janelle's kids especially are driven to GTFO because their situation is intolerable, much like Hamilton was driven to succeed and make a better life for himself and make his mark. I don't give Kody or the wives much credit for that. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Kitchen essentials, by Janelle (I was surprised brands weren't suggested. Maybe next time!

https://www.strivewithjanelle.com/health/kitchen-essentials/

While my professional days were spent as a Baker and cake designer...I am a classically trained Chef.  You don't put "last nights leftover roast" or cheese onto a mandoline.  Especially the cheap thing featured in the accompanying photo.  Just sayin'

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

While my professional days were spent as a Baker and cake designer...I am a classically trained Chef.  You don't put "last nights leftover roast" or cheese onto a mandoline.  Especially the cheap thing featured in the accompanying photo.  Just sayin'

Geez, I am just a home cook and even I know this is asinine! Where the hell dis she come up with this nonsense??

• Love 5

I truly don’t know what I did before I found this kitchen gem.

Christine or Logan fed the kids.

I chose an eight incher because it was less intimidating for my personal use, but they come in all sizes, so choose what’s best for your needs.

There is no way she wrote this shit.  I like a good 8 incher too, Janelle.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

Christine or Logan fed the kids.

There is no way she wrote this shit.  I like a good 8 incher too, Janelle.

I just died. ?

Another Janelle gem...

"Of course they come in all shapes and prices, but I have a simple and affordable model that suits my needs just fine."

#hisnameiskody #hehas3otherwives #bangforthebuck

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Roslyn said:

She couldn't possibly know that, though, since it is obvious she didn't write that post. I actually took the time to google bits and pieces to see if I could find it elsewhere, and didn't, but that was professionally written by someone who likely tried to sell it to manufacturers for a trade of money to naming a brand. I find it heartening that no name brands were mentioned, because that means no one found her name valuable. I should probably force some introspection about my joy in discovering that I'm not the only one who thinks her name isn't worth anything, but I won't; I'll just continue to judge the Browns and laugh at them behind their backs. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Love 4

Y'all are cracking me up! 

Based on that article (which probably wasn't written by her, but...) I can see why she hasn't lost weight - using "blocks of fresh cheese" and "leftover roasts" to make "healthy sandwiches" or saying that homemade cookie dough is "healthier".

So she's equating homemade with healthy? Hoo.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Roslyn said:

That is not a mandoline. That's a handheld grater that happens to have a slicer in the middle. Sorry Janelle, try again.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, MegD said:

That is not a mandoline. That's a handheld grater that happens to have a slicer in the middle. Sorry Janelle, try again.

And it will take the end of your finger off if you aren't careful, which is why I am typing with only a couple fingers on one hand right now......

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

And it will take the end of your finger off if you aren't careful, which is why I am typing with only a couple fingers on one hand right now......

I actually own a mandoline which I have used exactly once before I sliced the side of my pinky off. I can't imagine using my box grater (slightly safer than a hand grater) or the mandoline to go after yesterday's roast. Perhaps someone should show her how to create a fall apart roast that doesn't need a sharp blade to cut it? I learned when I was 9, surely she could master this one. But it involves a crock pot which is probably too close a cousin to the toaster.

15 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Based on that article (which probably wasn't written by her, but...) I can see why she hasn't lost weight - using "blocks of fresh cheese" and "leftover roasts" to make "healthy sandwiches" or saying that homemade cookie dough is "healthier".

So she's equating homemade with healthy? Hoo.

I'd give her a slight pass on this if I saw other evidence to back it up. Part of the reason I cook and bake is because my meals are healthier if I control the products going into them. I substitute things like protein powder for flour, stevia for sugar, and avocado for for oil and butter. I also reduce sugar in recipes when I can. Finally, my diet places an emphasis on protein consumption while reducing my carbohydrates which means lots of meat and cheese and fewer breads. So yes, I can see having "healthier" options using homemade foods. But she doesn't discuss using healthier options in her kitchen when making foods. Her smoothie also demonstrates that she has no concept of a balanced diet. While it may not have a ton of fat in it, she's got a massive amount of carbohydrates in there.

• Love 3

@MEGD I totally agree with you as someone who is into health and fitness, but cookie dough even made by scratch is still going to be high in fat and/or carbs, especially since she's comparing hers to refrigerated premade dough. 

The premade stuff (and boxed items) contain preservatives which may be part of the "healthy" thought.  But just look at ingredients in a recipe - if there is a preponderance of fat and sugar then healthy it ain't.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

@MegD I totally agree with you as someone who is into health and fitness, but cookie dough even made by scratch is still going to be high in fat and/or carbs, especially since she's comparing hers to refrigerated premade dough. 

Yeah the scratch cookie dough argument does not make sense, except the fact there are no preservatives or additives (which has nothing to do with the amount of fat and calories). It seems like she doesn't have a realistic grasp on nutrition and calories, is in nutritional "denial". I suspect she wants to continue eating those kinds of foods and by making them from scratch, she thinks that means "healthier". Problem with some people is they don't really know how many calories are in things and how quickly they add up.

I cook from scratch, too. Sauteed chard and asparagus, homemade vegetable soups, copious amounts of veggies, rice/lentil dishes (I run so I need some carbs), etc. I rarely bake sweets except for holidays or birthdays and I only make one such dessert (don't like sugar). And no soda, just seltzer water with lemon or lime juice.

If Janelle really wants to cook healthy from scratch, she needs a real overhaul and education as to what is "healthy".  She should also get the book "Calorie King"--it has just about everything in it.

• Love 4

It seems to me that Janelle doesn't actually want to know what is healthy, and doesn't want to make changes. She is doing it because her weight was thrown in her face on television and she couldn't deny it any longer. She had deluded herself into believing that Kody didn't care, but his hots for Robyn threw his relationship with the first three wives into turmoil, and seeing her size on a television screen is very different from seeing yourself in the mirror. I am a hobbyist photographer who has assisted at weddings, and you would not believe how many complaints photographers get for making someone look fat, because they are not that big. Yes, they are. We are not adding weight, and standing next to someone who is considerably smaller will make it stand out more. There are people who begin exercise and weight loss regimens after seeing photos of themselves. 

Thinking back to an earlier season when I was still watching, I think she did see a Registered Dietitian or a nutritionist on the show. She was a thin, pretty woman, and Janelle immediately disregarded her advice. She was still seeing the trainer that she she fired after he was caught cheating on his wife with a 20-year-old. He had become a famewhore, and she remained friends with his wife, another woman who was not very thin herself. She probably used that betrayal as a cause to quit training, even though she had made some progress, and gained back everything she lost plus some, as is typical for yo-yo dieters. She discussed her clothing sizes changing, which is typical of the weight training re-sculpting the body, but the actual numbers on the scale weren't moving, which is typical of not changing her diet. 

I would be encouraging of her changing her life, but she is using it to scam people. 

• Love 9

The "byline" says "Words: Janelle Brown." That's vague. The writing doesn't sound like Janelle, and the woman has never given indication that she spends time in the kitchen cooking anyway.

Also, a real mandoline is programed to attack human fingers, and a grater is not. I know the difference. 

• Love 7
On 12/31/2016 at 9:06 AM, BradandJanet said:

The "byline" says "Words: Janelle Brown." That's vague. The writing doesn't sound like Janelle, and the woman has never given indication that she spends time in the kitchen cooking anyway.

Also, a real mandoline is programed to attack human fingers, and a grater is not. I know the difference. 

Career journalist and 10-year blogger here. What the hell does that even mean?! The byline tells you WHO WROTE THE FREAKING WORDS.

• Love 5

Janelle has been making sounds about her fitness and food habits ever since they did the first episode a gazillion years ago where the three OGs went to a gym for the first time. She had a small window of time where she actually made some visible progress, but it's so painfully obvious that it's now simply blah, blah, blah. A lot of people with chronic weight issues (raising my hand) can cite chapter and verse all the best practices for losing weight and getting healthy--but saying and knowing ain't doing. For crying out loud, Janelle, you're on television. WE CAN SEE YOU.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

To me it's similar to school in some instances. Book work is one thing. Applying the knowledge, adapting for reality, two different things.

And unless one goes on an extreme kind of program, progress slows down. It's hard. To make big gains in fitness, diet must be strictly controlled and exercise should be intense. As a longtime endurance athlete and former coach, it's hard even for me to drop those last few pounds before a race to hit my race weight and I sometimes run 70 miles a week! Nutrition is a huge deal--most people out-eat their workouts. Even at the peak of my training, the most I was eating was maybe 2500 calories a day. My off season ceiling is 1500-1800 calories. It requires a lot of knowledge, preparation and awareness. 

Moderate gains obviously are more attainable, but progress can be slow. This tends to frustrate people, and of course we've mentioned that maybe Janelle has other issues with food going on or maybe medical issues we don't know about. But, most of it is what goes in one's mouth and that's difficult for a lot of people because mindless eating is so common.

Edited by Runnergirl
  • Love 4

Every time I miss my morning gym session and jump right into work while still rocking my PJs, this is the state I find myself in by 10am.

First of all, that sentence makes no sense whatsoever.  And work?  That she does in her PJs?  What work?  Making "words"?

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Every time I miss my morning gym session and jump right into work while still rocking my PJs, this is the state I find myself in by 10am.

First of all, that sentence makes no sense whatsoever.  And work?  That she does in her PJs?  What work?  Making "words"?

Maybe she works from home sometimes? I understand the sentence, but it was constructed poorly.  I think she was trying to convey this: She skips her morning workout, doesn't change out of her pajamas and starts checking work emails or makes phone calls. Then by 1000 she feels crappy because she skipped her workout. 

Solution--if she's at home, she can work out during lunch. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

She REALLY needs a proof writer if you have to put that much thought into clarifying what she's writing.  As a former tech writer I'd have been fired for that statement.

I studied and translated Akkadian in college. I'm used to figuring out whacky sentence structure :).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

has anyone else noticed that no one ever seems to comment on the blog itself?

Boy, you and I are on the same page today.  I was thinking the same thing.  No comments at all.  

I don't read the posts because they give me a headache.  I usually can't make heads or tails out of them.

• Love 2