Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Persecute Envoys

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Patterson finds a tattoo predicted a cop's murder, so the team attempt to prevent more attacks by chasing a violent clue trail. Meanwhile, Mayfair tests her bond with Weller when she informs him about some secrets from her past.

Maybe there is a sequence after all....

They seem to be back and forth on that, either way it's plot convenience that they happen to get it right when it needs to happen.

This episode felt like Law and Order: SVU, what with the smooshing together of disparate "ripped from the headlines" plots (black man killed by police, gay athletes coming out, NSA scandal).  

Kurt smiled and laughed a little this episode.  It was weird.

• Love 5

This episode felt like Law and Order: SVU, what with the smooshing together of disparate "ripped from the headlines" plots (black man killed by police, gay athletes coming out, NSA scandal).

Exactly, moreso than usual which is usually more cobbled together by other procedurals.

It was so out of place, I thought he was drugged or something, it was a huge wtf moment for me unlike the reveals in the series.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1

It still bothers me that the FBI is not at all interested in the fact that Jane's tattoos lead to crimes THAT HAVEN'T HAPPENED YET!  You'd think they'd be more interested in that. Instead they let her tats lead them right to the crime so they don't have to that much work. Then Kurt gets all mad that Mayfair was in on using the Machine/Samaritan to catch bad guys. When he's doing the same thing with Jane. Does the think her info is coming from divine intervention? Obviously someone received future Intel and for some reason tattooed a woman's body with that info.

Get off your high horse, Weller. Just because your info is tattooed on your childhood obsession doesn't make it any different. 

He did smile and joke around so that was weird. Still hate the forced looks and worrying between them. Jane turns into a 5 year old around him. It's like she imprinted on him as her mommy. "The door closed, I didn't know where you went"

Can the CIA take Jane, they seem more interested in the why and the how, instead of the paint by numbers cop show. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 11

It still bothers me that the FBI is not at all interested in the fact that Jane's tattoos lead to crimes THAT HAVEN'T HAPPENED YET!

Magical tattoos and they barely care about that.

Can the CIA take Jane, they seem more interested in the why and the how, instead of the paint by numbers cop show.

If it's a better show, then sure.

• Love 2
If it's a better show, then sure.

I think it would be, evil CIA guy would probably waterboard Jane to get answers. Then maybe it will be like the movie "Long Kiss Goodnight" when they tried to drown the amnesiac assassin and it brought her memories back and she went on killing spree on the people that hurt her. 

• Love 3

I think it would be, evil CIA guy would probably waterboard Jane to get answers. Then maybe it will be like the movie "Long Kiss Goodnight" when they tried to drown the amnesiac assassin and it brought her memories back and she went on killing spree on the people that hurt her. 

That would definitely be more interesting.

Girl's Night Out!  OK, that was totally cheap and has been done to death, but I'll take it, because it actually allowed Jane to be fun and allowed Jaimie Alexander to actually smile and do more then just mope around or make doe-eyes at Kurt.  All three of the actresses seemed to be having fun in that scene.  Of course, that meant the fun didn't last since it ends with Carter emerging from the shadows (like only Michael Gaston can!), and reminding Zapata that she's his agent now.  Boo!

Seriously, I really can't believe that Jane's tattoo not only checked off the police brutality box, but managed to even work in a gay football player into the mix.  Those tattoos sure are up in their current events and issues!  I so can't wait for the tattoo that leads them to a racist business mogul, who is dead set at closing our borders and running for president!  Anyway, it wasn't the worst of this season/series, but I knew the Captain was involved, since the actor was one of those guys I've seen in a lot of stuff.

So, basically Project Daylight is just one of those governmental projects, where they were illegally spying on people and shit, in order to "protect the country."  I mean, yeah, that's bad, but I've seen it on so many shows (and better ones like, say, Person of Interest), that it has lost any of it's appeal.  I mean, at this point, I'm surprised when the government in shows aren't spying on it's people.  It's just become common place now.  Anyway, turns out Mayfair was uneasy with it, but led herself get talked into it by Carter and her girlfriend/wife, it blew up in their face, and Mayfair's girlfriend killed herself.  Of course, since we only see her walking away and then cut to an article about that, I will totally be unsurprised if she turns up alive.  Still, it was good seeing Sarita Choudhury.

Oh, and I guess this did put Mayfair and Kurt at odds, but that doesn't really matter to me, because of my personal bias.  On one side, you've got a character played by Marianne Jean-Baptiste, who can make even the worst material tolerable.  On the other side, you have Sullivan Stapleton giving one of the blandest performances on network TV, either due to the horrible writing or his own bad acting choices (I know he can be better then this.)  So, yeah, I'm totally Team Mayfair in this battle.

So... the promos are claiming someone is not "going to survive."  I'm sure Jane and sadly Kurt are safe, but anyone else is expendable.  Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually isn't one of the regulars.  Right now, I'm going with 

Patterson's ex, because there was a shot in the promos were she really looked more broken up then the rest. Plus, it would explain why they showed that text of his: to keep him relevant.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

Girl's Night Out!  OK, that was totally cheap and has been done to death, but I'll take it, because it actually allowed Jane to be fun and allowed Jaimie Alexander to actually smile and do more then just mope around or make doe-eyes at Kurt.  All three of the actresses seemed to be having fun in that scene.

It's what Jane sorely needed when she was stuck with Weller.

So... the promos are claiming someone is not "going to survive."  I'm sure Jane and sadly Kurt are safe, but anyone else is expendable.  Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually isn't one of the regulars.  Right now, I'm going with

I think so too, he seemed too involved for a minor character.

• Love 1

The CIA guy is only interested becasue of his own butt potentially being in trouble.

So far all the tattoos have involved domestic crimes nothing under the CIA purview YET.

disparate "ripped from the headlines" plots (black man killed by police...

Yet they proceeded to write the FBI agents chasing an unarmed civilian with their weapons drawn. "I don't really understand the procedural issues that underlie questionable law enforcement shootings, but it sure sounds sexy, so throw it in there!"

I was almost embarrassed at how long it took me to understand why the Snowden character was called Winter.  I had a good laugh at my own expense.

Weller, ah Weller, just when I think it's not physically possible to annoy me more, he proves me wrong.

It was great to see Jane hanging out with Zapata and Patterson; she acts like an actual adult when she's with them. I hope Zapata confesses to Mayfair and gets that CIA prick off her back.  Team Mayfair (or Anyone But Weller) all the way!

• Love 3

I thought the tattoos weren't actually pointing at the police killings. They were pointing at the police blackmailing conspiracy, and it just so happened that they started killing other cops in order to cover it up and thereby drew the attention of the FBI. There was actually a line of dialogue stating so. There are some unbelievable coincidences happening on the show, but they actually explained this one.

• Love 3

Re: Patterson's ex...Chekhov's Text?

This episode felt like Law and Order: SVU, what with the smooshing together of disparate "ripped from the headlines" plots (black man killed by police, gay athletes coming out, NSA scandal).  

This episode puts L&O to shame with so many ripped headlines. Newspaper caught in lawnmower!

• Love 2

I'm just kind of flummoxed as to why the families/survivors of the dead policemen weren't given FBI security, since the Feds were taking over the case? Couldn't these seasoned field agents, one of whom was a NYPD cop, think that whoever was gunning down fellow conspirators might target family? I know, I know; we wouldn't have had the riveting shootout where Weller takes on a flashbang instead of bugging out and going around back or waiting for Overacting Cop to try to make a run for it out the front.  *sigh*  That was funny and a little assy with Weller psyching Jane out with his "hearing problem". It was a rare joke, so it was nice beat, at least.

I liked that Mayfair was just presented as she was ( except for the hair- that style was a fashion don't)- and that she was actually proven right in the end. I like that Mayfair is willing to own and clean up her messes.  As someone posted last week, I wish that her relationship with Weller had been more clearly set out before this episode. It would have made the hurt feels a bit more understandable last week. 

I still want FBI Femme Squad to kick Michael Gaston's character's ass. If they do it in the style of Deathproof, that's a plus in my book. Zapata can be Tracie Thoms and Mayfair gets the last leg drop. Weller  can be talking to the iffy hillbillies. (Jane, of course, is Zoe.)

Speaking of Zapata, I want her to tell Jane, then in a couple of more episodes- heading into February sweeps-- they can deal with Gaston's character but because we didn't see the body, Ms. Runaway-to-Hong Kong shows up with a different set of problems for the team. (To be clear, this is me noodling and wishing.)

I partly expected more ribbing of Reade about the foot chase, but Jane and Zapata tag-teaming him on after-hours hanging out was pretty fun. It almost felt like they read our complaints from last week, wrt Jane and the team! *g* Yeah, I know they didn't, but maybe they have someone, like a script supervisor or continuity person, who clued them in to how the downtimes might be playing.  I didn't expect Jane to have snuck out, but I loved Patterson and Zapata groaning in unison and the 'oh, hon' looks. 

• Love 2

So, the FBI is no longer trying to figure out who tattooed Jane & why & how they knew about the crimes? They're just going to use her for the crime of the week & let everything else drop?

• Love 3

I would be worried about Zapata for the mid-season finale, considering the crash-course bonding in this episode, but IIRC she is one of the characters who rush in the hospital in the previews along with Patterson, Jane and Weller, so I think she's safe. That would leave Reade -but he didn't bond with Jane enough yet, so imo he's safe, or Mayfair -it could be the end of an arc for her, so she's still a very long shot for me, but they'd be crazy to let Marianne Jean-Baptiste go.

So unfortunately, I agree that it's probably Cutie David.

That said, I loved the crash-course bonding. The girls have a very nice friendly chemistry. And last episode's trekking seemingly broke the ice between Reade and Jane, good. It's nice that she's more part of the team, and good that the show takes its time with it because it feels more natural to me.

Indeed, they should have Weller smile more often. Although I like him, "charming" is never an adjective I'd have associated with him, yet he does have a charming smile. And he made a joke. Wow, progress! It worked very well with me, since it was the last thing I expected from the character. His relationship with Jane is more and more balanced, as they both seem to find their footing. She has a positive influence on him. Once again, I'm glad that his flaws aren't swept under the rug and that she isn't blind to them.

The show seems to have a definite tendency to explain some emotional reactions in the following episode, re:Weller and Mayfair. I definitely think that she let him off the hook for talking to her like to a fellow agent and not his boss because she felt guilty, considering how she put him back in his place (and rightfully) before they met the cops.

I would have found it a bit weird if Weller reacted so strongly "only" because of an abuse of authority, it was more something that Reade would be furious about, imo. The last scene was laying it a bit thick, maybe, re: the parallel with his father betraying his trust, but it was a nice confirmation that his attitude came from hurt and disappointment, more than a pure moral POV. I found it much more in character.

And I like that he still didn't spill the beans about Mayfair to anyone, not even to Jane, even though  it was obvious to me he didn't want to disappoint her by refusing to talk to her when she asked.

I kind of like that Daylight wasn't that super seekrit huge conspiracy with aliens or something on top, but something more close to reality, for once. After all, depending on how the media exploit them, "trifling" scandals can break careers, and people can kill to save their public careers. But I'm certain that it's deceptive and probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, I'm preparing a spoon to eat the shippy moments with it next week. This is going to be fun.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

Weller is about as compelling as your average block of wood but he did have one great moment in this episode, messing with Jane after taking a flashbang. I'll consider it added characterization that he couldn't maintain the charade for more than a few seconds since he's generally so humorless. But it is nice to see the team starting to relax a bit. With all the bullets that have come their way lately I'm somewhat surprised they aren't quipping and being silly during gunfights.

I wish Weller would get off his high horse about proper police procedure considering how much of it he disregards in every episode. That's a CIVILIAN you gave an FBI side arm to, dude. In real life I bet an FBI agent would lose their job over letting a civvie into Conference Room B for ten seconds, much less letting one set up camp in the command center. And what kind of cop likes having his hands tied by restrictive procedure when you have actual evidence against the bad guys? It was obtained illegally so I understand the objection there. But Mayfair was trying to find roundabout ways to get the same results while making it appear righteous.

Also, I missed the pitchfork brigades marching on CIA, FBI and NSA headquarters (the locations of which are common knowledge). The Snowden (or Winter, heh) leaks pissed people off for a minute. And then a civilian got shot by a cop for no good reason. And then Kim Kardashian wore a tight leather skirt while six months pregnant. And then Donald Trump said something rude and that became the outrage of the day. And so on and so forth. Weller is approaching the issue as if everyone is as mad about it as he is. He's going to find out that the answer is that people were mad about it a while ago but have since gotten over it and the stuff that used to be straight up illegal is now slowly becoming legal. Because nobody with that kind of power voluntarily surrenders it simply because it makes people uncomfortable.

Also, using "Daylight" as a stand-in for the NSA's surveillance programs and specifying that only three people know about it is bogus. Thousands of people knew about the NSA's activities but it turns out thousands of people can keep a secret if appropriately paid and aware of the legal repercussions of loose lips. Remember, Snowden was a subcontractor. He wasn't even at the NSA when he punked them. You don't keep watch on the entire world at once and have only three people guarding this endless stream of intel. You would need hundreds if not thousands of people just to be able to separate wheat from chaff. But no one in the Blindspot universe can figure out where this information is coming from? If three people are looking after the whole thing you'd still be able to figure out who they were- they'd be the only ones with toilets instead of office chairs and they would be taking nourishment intravenously.

I was hoping for a bit of resolution to Weller's daddy issues at the end. Jane is kidnapped, Weller's dad is a suspect, Weller develops a deep grudge against his father. Jane shows up, Weller maintains the grudge. It works I guess but there's a big piece in the middle still missing. At least they're talking now even if we don't get to see it.

I loved Zapata's dig at Jane about her clothes. She does dress awfully drab.

• Love 1

Once again, I can deal with all the stuff related to the tattoos, but they ruin it with one jarring detail.

Here's a widow of a policeman who was viciously killed a few days ago and she's completely alone. Where's the police detail at her door? Where are the stream of neighbors and friends to bring her casseroles and "babysit" her? That rang so untrue.

• Love 3
Where's the police detail at her door? Where are the stream of neighbors and friends to bring her casseroles and "babysit" her?

The head of the precinct was part of the group of bad cops, so he likely assigned his two partners in crime detail for that afternoon (even if she didn't live within the precinct boundaries, the head cop was likely able to convince her area's precinct captain to let his team do the guarding since they feel they have to do something and the FBI have stepped in).  When the friends/neighbours saw the cops arrive with a casserole, they took a break to give them some privacy with the widow. 

What really seemed odd to me is that the captain of the precinct seemed so unconcerned about the FBI taking over. He was a cool customer.

Meanwhile, nobody seemed surprised that the body cam of Shultz's death showed the killer's perspective and not Schultz's. How does that work exactly? Do officers routinely take off their body cams and attach them to people who are about to shoot them?

• Love 3

Well she doesn't pay rent or for any meal we've ever seen. Perhaps keeping her absent of funds would be a sneaky way to control her.

She has to have SOME minimal funds (or found some) to sneak around the city though. 

• Love 1

Weller is about as compelling as your average block of wood but he did have one great moment in this episode, messing with Jane after taking a flashbang. I'll consider it added characterization that he couldn't maintain the charade for more than a few seconds since he's generally so humorless.

It was a big wtf moment given his character for the rest of the time.

Weller is about as compelling as your average block of wood but he did have one great moment in this episode, messing with Jane after taking a flashbang. I'll consider it added characterization that he couldn't maintain the charade for more than a few seconds since he's generally so humorless. But it is nice to see the team starting to relax a bit. With all the bullets that have come their way lately I'm somewhat surprised they aren't quipping and being silly during gunfights.

The thing is, he is so different in Strike Back - I can't believe I used to grouch about all the sex he was having in that show (mainly because it came out in summer, and I'm sure all the neighbours thought I was watching wall to wall porn - the ladies were loud). Come back, incessant amounts of loud sex! I was wrong!

Though, seeing the sex dream they gave Jane last week, no thanks.

It isn't just the sex - it's the general dour humorless characterization he's been given. Also, I'm starting to realize that Strike Back attracted a much better class of director/cinematographer than this show - and yeah, I'm going to complain about the way it's shot. I mean, I know 'fifty shades of grey' has become shorthand for sexual shenanigans, but here it just describes the colour palette.

I loved Zapata's dig at Jane about her clothes. She does dress awfully drab.

Holy crap, girl. I'd have liked Zapata's answer to have been: "You dress like a homeless person." She probably hasn't seen Zoolander, so she couldn't just say something like, it's Derelicte, baby.

• Love 2

Not only ripped from the headlines but slipping in a little bit of political commentary like L & O has been known to do. And just because a character displays a letter/reminder of the Hoover FBI spy/blackmail does not redeem them. That being said quite frankly what we've seen in the real world over the last decade I would not doubt that there is blackmail and  use of the illegally obtained information.

The gambling agent's couch cusion cash had me wondering.

Also I guess a question would be who has access to national security information AND just happens to pay attention to police corruption. Where's the link? End game?

I was also begining to wonder if the director's partner had a hand in tatooing Jane when she talked about Hong Kong & China.

Edited by misstwpherecool
  • Love 2

Meanwhile, nobody seemed surprised that the body cam of Shultz's death showed the killer's perspective and not Schultz's. How does that work exactly? Do officers routinely take off their body cams and attach them to people who are about to shoot them?

What I didn't quite understand is how the CopCams caught all this compromising footage in the first place.  I mean, did they walk in to the football player's bedroom while he was in the saddle?  Saying what?  "We're collecting for the Policeman's Ball!"  I mean, most of the footage was coming from straight cops, so it isn't like they were deliberately looking to sneak up on wealthy people in compromising positions.

• Love 2

I was also begining to wonder if the director's partner had a hand in tatooing Jane when she talked about Hong Kong & China.

it occurred to me too. Especially in the scenario where Jane was a volunteer, not a victim.

Really who says the lady is really dead? Seeing headlines about a suicide is not the same as proof it really happened.

• Love 5

Kromm, your block of wood is smiling, making it more compelling and likable than Weller.

I am increasingly grossed out by Weller's ratty neck hair. He looks worse than homeless. At least clean it up a bit if you are going to be a lazy ass about shaving. I can barely look at him. Maybe I should send him a turtleneck to wear if his personal hygiene continues to tank.

• Love 7

it occurred to me too. Especially in the scenario where Jane was a volunteer, not a victim.

Really who says the lady is really dead? Seeing headlines about a suicide is not the same as proof it really happened.

Especially since they didn't SHOW how she did it. What was the headline again? That and her walking toward the abandoned warehouse by the river & port ie boat awaiting?

So, the FBI is no longer trying to figure out who tattooed Jane & why & how they knew about the crimes? They're just going to use her for the crime of the week & let everything else drop?

Well they do know she's Taylor Shaw, Or Maybe Not. FBI Case Closed, Let's go get drinks. Seriously, good procedurals that have have an season-long arc balance both (Veronica Mars Season 1 is probably one of the best I can think of). Some evidence of Weller and Patterson digging into the Jane mystery would be totally welcome, you can even juxtapose it against Jane's therapy sessions to show the mystery being solved from two methods.

Maybe I'll give them a bit of the doubt with Weller assuming this whole thing is tied to Daylight.

Some things I liked:

Zapata's reeling off information about the Football player the instant she saw him on shaky body cam footage. A nice nod to her gambling issues without throwing it back in our face.

Patterson's face when Jane is talking about sneaking out at night.

The Co-ed FBI locker room.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 3

I would watch the hell out of that show.

I think whoever did the tatoos knows all of this stuff because they have access to the "Daylight" stash of NSA surveillance data rather than magic or time travel. They probably have some sort of algorithm that is able to sort through the data and detect patterns. You know "Daylight" is important to them, because they burned through maybe 4 tatoos on the Guerrero case.

• Love 3

Does Michael Gaston play anything but corrupt, menacing skeezixes, like, ever? Every time I see him, I think "Hey, It's That Snake-In-The-Grass Guy!"

He's typecast in these roles.

I'll add, I'm glad the methods of the Tattoos being tied in is varied. As in, it isn't always "we've solved the puzzle" Occasionally it's a crime triggering something in the database (like this week, with the tattoo probably being indexed something like, "Butcher, Knife, Cleaver 65, 6, 5" or somebody seeing something that matches up  with what's on Jane's body.

• Love 2
Does Michael Gaston play anything but corrupt, menacing skeezixes, like, ever?

I met Gaston, got his autograph and chatted with him for a while when I was an extra in the movie "Sugar," where Gaston played the coach of the minor league baseball team Sugar was playing for. That was in 2008. I knew him as Quinn from Prison Break, my favorite show at the time. Gaston joked that the last time I saw him, he was at the bottom of a well.

So no, he doesn't ALWAYS play a skeeve, and he's a really nice guy in real life.

• Love 3

Kind of OT but I need to take another swipe at this idea that the massive data collection which leads to arrests is something that only three people know about and manage. There is a long and detailed article here about the DEA using NSA information and then working backwards to sanitize the source of intel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/05/us-dea-sod-idUSBRE97409R20130805

The relevant quote is this:

"You'd be told only, ‘Be at a certain truck stop at a certain time and look for a certain vehicle.' And so we'd alert the state police to find an excuse to stop that vehicle, and then have a drug dog search it," the agent said.

After an arrest was made, agents then pretended that their investigation began with the traffic stop, not with the SOD tip, the former agent said. The training document reviewed by Reuters refers to this process as "parallel construction."

The two senior DEA officials, who spoke on behalf of the agency but only on condition of anonymity, said the process is kept secret to protect sources and investigative methods. "Parallel construction is a law enforcement technique we use every day," one official said. "It's decades old, a bedrock concept."

This article is on Reuters. And it's two years old. Good luck with the recreational outrage, Weller.

• Love 2

I'll add, I'm glad the methods of the Tattoos being tied in is varied.

You would think that the FBI would be mapping the location of the tattoos relative to the crimes that show up.  I'm sure that whomever did the inking had some trajectory in mind, rather than just a random "Can we fit the word Guerrero in here?"  kind of stuff. 

...the Machine/Samaritan to catch bad guys.

I would pay money to see Ms. Patterson working with Mr. Finch.

Yet they proceeded to write the FBI agents chasing an unarmed civilian with their weapons drawn.

Only to give Jane Doe her contractually obligated moment to throw a flying tackle on an All-Pro running back.

I wish Weller would get off his high horse about proper police procedure considering how much of it he disregards in every episode

When they were in the interrogation room and the football player/suspect said "Lawyer", in real life that would have been the end of it.  Literally, you don't get to ask questions after that until the suspect has his attorney present. 

If the TV NSA really wanted to keep something ultra-secret, they should take a tip from private industry.  I think there are only 10 or so people who know the actual and complete recipe for Coca-Cola. 

When they were in the interrogation room and the football player/suspect said "Lawyer", in real life that would have been the end of it.  Literally, you don't get to ask questions after that until the suspect has his attorney present.

I believe you can ask as many as you like...

Kind of OT but I need to take another swipe at this idea that the massive data collection which leads to arrests is something that only three people know about and manage. There is a long and detailed article here about the DEA using NSA information and then working backwards to sanitize the source of intel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/05/us-dea-sod-idUSBRE97409R20130805

The relevant quote is this:

This article is on Reuters. And it's two years old. Good luck with the recreational outrage, Weller.

I kinda fanwank that it's due to plot. A complete reflection on society today.  I mean, Winter is the NSA guy..."Edward Snowden, anyone??"

I like this show despite its goofiness. I do wonder how they will come up with a satisfying explanation for the tats. The crazier the story lines get, the higher the bar for the explanation(whenever it comes).

One thing I do like about this series is that at least both Jane and Zapata are dressed sensibly on operations.

Agreed, it's nice that they are dressed like agents on a mission, not hookers on a mission :)