Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

On 3/19/2022 at 9:28 PM, WhatAmIWatching said:

Thank you so much for the explanation! Do they go as fast and have as much punch as gas powered? IIRC, when the Prius was new, there was chatter about the slower speeds and sort of anemic on power. --It's been years and years since their advent, so I'd hope there have been vast improvements all around. When/if I'm forced to switch, I will do a hybrid, if at all possible!

We bought a Kia Niro hybrid a year and a half ago and it's absolutely amazing! Speed is perfectly fine. It can easily do 100 miles per hour if you wanted to, but you're not allowed to drive that fast anyway. It's acceleration is fine though it's not a turbo or sports car obviously.

I don't have a hybrid myself and mine does about 320 miles with one full tank. My husband does about 550 miles with his hybrid. (Averages of course, it depends on weight, distance and speed of course) We now often take the hybrid as gas prices have now rocketed to €9.50 per gallon which would be about $10.40. 

Does it deter people from taking the car over here? Not really. There are still loads of places you need to go to, whether it's work or other obligations. But I have noted that people are a bit more reluctant to go on day trips that involve some distance driving and consider leaving the car and choose alternative means of traveling for shorter distances.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

We bought a Kia Niro hybrid a year and a half ago and it's absolutely amazing! Speed is perfectly fine. It can easily do 100 miles per hour if you wanted to, but you're not allowed to drive that fast anyway. It's acceleration is fine though it's not a turbo or sports car obviously.

I don't have a hybrid myself and mine does about 320 miles with one full tank. My husband does about 550 miles with his hybrid. (Averages of course, it depends on weight, distance and speed of course) We now often take the hybrid as gas prices have now rocketed to €9.50 per gallon which would be about $10.40. 

Does it deter people from taking the car over here? Not really. There are still loads of places you need to go to, whether it's work or other obligations. But I have noted that people are a bit more reluctant to go on day trips that involve some distance driving and consider leaving the car and choose alternative means of traveling for shorter distances.

We plan EVERYTHING now and don’t just “go” places. Rarely any day trips, though next weekend we want to do the revolutionary war sites near Setauket (it’s being planned with other tasks we need to do). We currently live on a revolutionary war site on the south shore and want to check out the north shore ones. 

• Love 7

I met with the orthopedist and he recommended surgery on my knee. So, it’s scheduled for May…his earliest available.  Trying to prepare.  Based on what he said, I shouldn’t be out of commission long. Rehabbing starts right away. I might not be able to drive for a couple of weeks, but that’s doable. 

I have changed my diet. Just trying to eat clean. So far, I’ve lost 3 pounds.  Not much, but it’s encouraging.  I hope to lose 10 more before surgery.  

• Love 13
48 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

Welp, goddamnit. I made it thru 7 seasons & now tlc wants me to pay? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I already pay for cable, Netflix, hulu, amazon, etc. Nothankyouverymuch.

What! Is TLC moving 100% to discovery plus? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/21/2022 at 7:58 PM, iwantcookies said:

Everyone and their mom is in the laundromat tonight. So much for having the place not crowded. 

I can sooo relate, alas. 

I saw the discussion of ADHD and Ritalin (forget if it's this thread and too tired to look right now). My niece has severe ADD and has taken it for years; she finds it really helpful. But every time I see the word Ritalin, in my head it sounds like Rye-TA-lin from the Star Trek original series' Requiem for Methuselah.

• LOL 1
45 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

I can sooo relate, alas. 

I saw the discussion of ADHD and Ritalin (forget if it's this thread and too tired to look right now). My niece has severe ADD and has taken it for years; she finds it really helpful. But every time I see the word Ritalin, in my head it sounds like Rye-TA-lin from the Star Trek original series' Requiem for Methuselah.

🤣

And whenever I see the word requiem, I immediately think of that very dark movie, A Requiem for a Dream!

That's great to hear that your niece has had great success with taking Ritalin! 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

And whenever I see the word requiem, I immediately think of that very dark movie, A Requiem for a Dream!

I always think of Fauré's Requiem, my favorite Requiem.  Although I like Verdi's too.

Coincidentally the person that got me into Fauré's Requiem takes Ritalin for adult ADHD.

Ah yes, the great circle of life.  😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Team Brahms checking in. 🙂

Well, in Requiem for Methuselah, the ST TOS episode featuring Ritalin, the main character was immortal and he said at one point, "I am Brahms (...and DaVinci.)" 

• LOL 1

@Cetacean, I have a Samsung glass top electric stovetop/oven (with convection). The oven has a thick metal divider that I can insert to divide the oven into 2 separate spaces. It has 2 fans, so I can set each space to its own temperature. It comes in handy at Thanksgiving, when I want to cook a small turkey in the main space and green bean casserole in the smaller space. My only issue it that in the small space, items brown more quickly so I really have to keep an eye on them. My dream is to have 2 wall ovens, but I suspect my kitchen isn’t big enough. 

• Useful 5

It’s kind of a funny story how I got my oven. The Sunday before Thanksgiving I turned my oven on to pre heat and the heating element on the floor of the oven burst into flames! So I went to a couple of stores to find an electric oven that would fit in my small space and would be delivered before Thanksgiving. That really narrowed my options! It’s fine, and I don’t have any regrets, but It wasn’t something on my list to replace at the time.

• Useful 2

Back in the day when I lived at home, we had a gas range, back then the broiler was a pull out drawer at the bottom. When I moved into my 1st apartment, stove was electric, not knowing much, I brought a steak and was going to broil it, pulled out the drawer and said "Rat bastids stole the broiler pan". Ok, got myself a pan and turned the broiler on stuck my steak in what I thought was the broiler, after 5 minutes I open the drawer, nothing, nada, zilch. I was stumped. Now I am thinking the broiler is broken, until of course I opened the oven door...had no idea that bottom drawer was storage until I called my friend and he laughed his ass off.  So embarrassing that I had no idea. 

My gas stove now has the pull out drawer for pans, but every time I open it, I remember that fateful day back in 1992 and chuckle

• LOL 19
On 3/26/2022 at 7:04 PM, Cetacean said:

I love PIe Jesu.  Heard it many years ago when Charlotte Church was a young teen.  Celtic Woman has a great version as well.

This is my favorite Pie Jesu from Fauré.  The first one is a very nice modern acapella version.  The second is a classic British boy chorister which for some reason always brings tears to my eyes.  I once sang this solo in church years ago.  I wish I sounded as good as either of these!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

My gas stove now has the pull out drawer for pans, but every time I open it, I remember that fateful day back in 1992 and chuckle

That is hilarious!

I had the opposite problem although not as funny as yours.  Having grown up with an electric stove with a"pots and pans" drawer I never knew about the gas broiler.  I was helping a friend do dishes and after drying a pot I tried to put it in the broiler drawer.  Obviously it was empty and I was puzzled as to why my friend only seemed to own one pot!

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

My only issue it that in the small space, items brown more quickly so I really have to keep an eye on them. My dream is to have 2 wall ovens, but I suspect my kitchen isn’t big enough. 

My old house had two wall ovens and six burners.  It was ideal for cooking on holidays.  If you can arrange it, do it.  It was also wonderful for baking large bunches of cookies  or for making pizzas when the kids would have several friends over.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

My old house had two wall ovens and six burners.  It was ideal for cooking on holidays.  If you can arrange it, do it.  It was also wonderful for baking large bunches of cookies  or for making pizzas when the kids would have several friends over.  

It’s just me and my husband, and we don’t entertain a lot, so it’s kind of ridiculous that I want 2 ovens. But I still want them! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

It’s just me and my husband, and we don’t entertain a lot, so it’s kind of ridiculous that I want 2 ovens. But I still want them! 

I don't blame you.  It's just me now so it would be ludicrous for me to have two ovens, but I loved the room and flexibility.

Someone asked the brand of my stove and I must confess I don't know.  It's a regular household stove though and not industrial.  My dearly departed husband had it delivered a couple years before he died.  I know it came from a large appliance store in downtown San Diego.  It has no manufacturer label on the front and it was fitted into a built in spot.  I'm guessing when they reassembled the top part of the built in it covered the brand name.  

• Love 4

I haven’t seen this specific recipe but there is a huge difference in ovens performance-wise. Bottom-line is: use the setting (e.g. fan or top/bottom heating) from the recipe but know your own oven when it comes to temperatures. I usually set mine just a little lower than recommended in the recipe. If I don’t do that, the outside will be perfect but the inside won’t, just like Deirdra described.

Quoting @LilyD Not only do you need to know your oven across the different kinds electric/gas convection/normal but even ovens that are exactly the same and off the same line on the same day can bake completely different.

The last commercial job that I had, the bakery got a full renno with brand new commercial convection rotating rack ovens. Roll the rack in, the arm picks it up and slowly spins the rack while it bakes with the blower on or off. Two side by side identical ovens that had close serial numbers baked completely different. The bake staff quickly had a list of what goes in the left oven and what goes in the right. At one point the companies pros and computer pros were out to check for issues and they couldn't figure out why the two were so different.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Absolom said:

I don't blame you.  It's just me now so it would be ludicrous for me to have two ovens, but I loved the room and flexibility.

Love the oven discussion, and it really amuses me too, great to have small talk to continue this. As for one vs two ovens: Here in Europe (well, where I live) The standard seems to be to have only one fairly small combined oven/microwave appliance. And it has been like this for 15+ years. I don't get it!

The first house we bought had it and it was an absolute nightmare!  I could cook a fairly small chicken in it, but your Thanksgiving Turkeys?? No way! Forget about it, there's no way you could even squeeze that in! Then there is the issue of needing a microwave but you have just used it as an oven... So it's too hot (or still in use or the other dish) Also, when you buy such an appliance, the salesman will usually ask if its main purpose is cooking/baking or just a microwave. It's hard to find one that can do both brilliantly. Usually it's a great microwave but a mediocre oven or vice versa.

So, when we got a new kitchen, I insisted on having an extra, separate oven. Best decision ever!! I use it at least 5 days a week.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

I opted for a smooth cooktop with two oven range.  The small top one is what I use most and the bigger bottom one is big enough for a big turkey. Both are self cleaning and the bottom one is convection.  I just recently learned I could use my cast iron skillets on the stove top if I don't move them around too much.  But, also got a Ninja Flip which we call the "magic oven".  It does baking, roasting, toasting, air fry and a few other things.  We got rid of the toaster and also use it for air fry.  Really do enjoy it.  Also bake small things in there, like a 6" pan of Jiffy cornbread.  I do love a "gizmo"

• Useful 8
  • Love 2

I’m in the market for a stove.  I’m taking my time, because when my mom purchased her last one, she got burned (pardon the pun).  My oven went out and I’m making do without it for now.  Getting by with slow cooker and stove top.  I gave up bread, so I’m not baking.  I’ve researched brands like crazy and there seems to be issues with all brands.  Another thing is the price.  Hmmmm….rather high.  This is for my weekend house, so I’m not going to get anything too fancy.  I looked into replacing the oven piece that burned out, but the stove has age on it.  The eyes could go at any moment.  

Is it ever okay to invite yourself to someone’s house during dinner time and then promise to stay for a few minutes, then stay for over an hour?  I sometimes think I’m more sensitive about people imposing their wishes upon me than most.  I grew up being taught to respect other people’s meal times and bedtime.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I grew up being taught to respect other people’s meal times and bedtime.  

As was I.  I would never presume to drop by, or even call, at meal times or bedtime.  Just rude.  Miss Manners would certainly not approve!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m in the market for a stove.  I’m taking my time, because when my mom purchased her last one, she got burned (pardon the pun).  My oven went out and I’m making do without it for now.  Getting by with slow cooker and stove top.  I gave up bread, so I’m not baking.  I’ve researched brands like crazy and there seems to be issues with all brands.  Another thing is the price.  Hmmmm….rather high.  This is for my weekend house, so I’m not going to get anything too fancy.  I looked into replacing the oven piece that burned out, but the stove has age on it.  The eyes could go at any moment.  

Is it ever okay to invite yourself to someone’s house during dinner time and then promise to stay for a few minutes, then stay for over an hour?  I sometimes think I’m more sensitive about people imposing their wishes upon me than most.  I grew up being taught to respect other people’s meal times and bedtime.  

Have you considered an air fryer oven? 

4 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Have you considered an air fryer oven? 

I have seen them online and they seem to be popular.  I haven’t been interested because I have an air fryer and haven’t been all that impressed with it.  Others rave about theirs, so perhaps I’m not using it correctly.  Do you recommend them?

• Love 1

I got a new stove/oven in 2020.  I seriously considered getting a double oven but couldn't justify paying twice the price of the single model in the same brand plus I didn't want to give up the stupid pan drawer underneath, LOL (I actually use it only for lids).  Any time I really need to use a second oven (which is not that often) I use my Breville and it works out fine.  I've also become good at averaging out the temperature different things require and altering the time to cook them based on that so they can all cook together.  It doesn't work with some things, like baking cakes, but it does work with most other stuff.  The only time I'd ever miss the double oven is if I were cooking for more than just my husband and me but that is rarely the case these days anyway.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I grew up being taught to respect other people’s meal times and bedtime.  

This put a little smile to my face. Part of my upbringing was Indonesian and my grandmother’s life revolved around food and meals. Indonesians typically cook way too much in case someone drops by unexpectedly and the visitor would always find a plate full of food shoved in front of him☺️ So I grew up with accepting people dropping in at all times.

I must admit that this often caused a bit of a culture clash with my husband and in-laws after I married. They’re from the north and completely unfamiliar with such habits. Their background is fairly “rigid” (in my view)  where your home is a like a sanctuary where you only let people in after an invitation. You’d certainly never just swing by for a chat or a coffee. (I suddenly remember this awkward moment where I dropped something off as we agreed, my mother in law accepted it at the door, said thank you,  and shut the door in front of my face! We hadn’t said anything about coming in and coffee after all. That would never have happened with my family. Talking about cultural differences here!) 
So, it has taken a bit of an effort on both sides: He learned that a spontaneous visit can be fun and learned to appreciate it and I learned to appreciate (and protect) the private surroundings of my home and that it is ok to set a few boundaries😉

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Nothing to do with the conversation…..Not that crap was acceptable at other times, but my children grew up knowing crap at bedtime and mealtime was unacceptable.  

For me growing up,  all the other families with children ate at 5pm. My mother always had dinner at 6pm. We all knew each other’s schedules and would never intrude on mealtime.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was taught this is never okay and in fact is actually quite rude (unless one is invited to stay). Did someone do this to you recently? 

You aren’t being oversensitive, I hate that also (I’m also autistic and hate any changes to my routines, that includes surprise visitors). 

• Love 6

It wasn’t a surprise, but it was a case of them inviting themselves over during dinner time. They didn’t want to eat, declined food, but just wanted to visit during our dinner   I would have eaten earlier, but didn’t since they said it would only be a short visit, I held off.  Then, they stay and stay.  I love to entertain guests, but not like that. Lol   I guess I should be more flexible.  It’s difficult when I’m overly stressed, though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

I have a friend that would just stop by on the weekend. She would say, "well I saw your car in the driveway so I knew you were home". Um, last time I checked my car did not have a sign saying, "come on in, we're open". Many of the times it was later in the afternoon and either I was finishing up cleaning, folding laundry or just catching up on craptastic reality teevee, braless! I never just pop by someone's house. In this day and age with mobile phones, you can call or text and even then, don't come unless I invite you. My brother lives fairly close and he does the same thing, and he knows how much it annoys me when I say so and so dropped by, but yet he still does it. Unless it is an emergency, don't pop by, next time the hose will come out!

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

I guess the option for drop in company is not open the door?  I have done that.  Unless I am sitting outside how does anyone know who is inside or what is going on in there. Car outside could mean a friend picked someone up.  It seems like there are cultural/regional differences in who was taught what and sometimes these might bump up against each other.  I think we are an international community?  Of course we all weren’t taught the exact same things. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

My next door neighbor and I have know each other since childhood (nearly 70 years) and were in our own little Covid bubble.  But never once have we just popped over without a call. 

It's just a respect thing, you don't surprise people who might be in the middle of something or just didn't feel like getting dressed that morning!

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

It seems like there are cultural/regional differences in who was taught what and sometimes these might bump up against each other.  I think we are an international community?  Of course we all weren’t taught the exact same things. 

Which is what I really appreciate about hanging out here. You learn from others and sometimes reflect on what you consider normal/abnormal. I find most of us friendly and respectful towards each other. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Which is what I really appreciate about hanging out here. You learn from others and sometimes reflect on what you consider normal/abnormal. I find most of us friendly and respectful towards each other. 

Agree

• Love 5

My MIL was of the oh just drop by type and it was really strange when I first met her and was at the house regularly.  She loved for people to visit.  My father would almost lose it if anyone just happened to knock on our door without an invitation or a phone call in advance.  That was people who grew up in the same small town, lived there all their lives, and knew most of the same people.  They just had different tolerances.

I've been different at different stages of life.  When the kids were younger many of us would just drop by the houses where the friends lived especially on our own street.  Once the kids were gone, we switched to generally calling unless we see someone outside the house.  We will stop and chat outside.  I would never drop by anyone's house at their known meal time unless it was an urgent or emergency type thing.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have seen them online and they seem to be popular.  I haven’t been interested because I have an air fryer and haven’t been all that impressed with it.  Others rave about theirs, so perhaps I’m not using it correctly.  Do you recommend them?

I have the basket type one. I baked brownies, meatloaf, chicken and cornbread in it.and everything snack like in it.   I really love the air fryer. I bought one that looks like a microwave but it got stolen before I got a chance to use it. 

• Useful 4
37 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Someone keeps stealing my packages that contain clothes. I mean seriously 😒. So far 4 got stolen. People have no shame!

I am looking at the tenants to try to figure out who is wearing my clothes?

Well maybe you should stop buying all those wonderful and so fashionable Luluroe leggings and too tight jackets. 

Seriously, I am sorry you are dealing with theft like that, its unsettling I am sure

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Someone keeps stealing my packages that contain clothes. I mean seriously 😒. So far 4 got stolen. People have no shame!

I am looking at the tenants to try to figure out who is wearing my clothes?

That’s terrible! Humans can be really shitty. Whoever is doing that needs karma to shove them down a flight of stairs. 

• Love 9