Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Oh I haaaate these. Becoming one’s parents has nothing to do with insurance or bundling and, to me, distracts from what they are actually trying to sell me. The skits would be cute on their own, but I feel a bit annoyed by the company that they think we humans are so stupid we need to see this to want to buy their service.

I blame my autism for this, to me the attempt at humor to get peoples’ attention in an ad is distracting. There are a few ads with so much filler gimmick I don’t even know what they’re trying to sell because I stopped trying to figure it out after 10 seconds. 

Tell me what you are selling and why I need it. The use of obnoxious characters is unnecessary (annnnd this is when hubby refers to me as Spock 😆).  

I work for a Fortune 100 insurance company, one of the ones with stupid commercials and an annoying jingle 🙄. They’ve flat out said, the only thing they care about from the commercials is name recognition. If you think about getting an insurance quote, will you think of our company?  I get what you’re saying though, a lot of them drive me crazy, too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

There's been some commercials that I have no idea what they're selling, but they're nice commercials!

I remember a handful of years ago, there was a spate of ads that were wife-as-mommy with an incompetent husband/son. Those bugged me so much! I'm glad they stopped. I'd rather have the arty/ sentimental commercials with zero product identity than those!

I'm really annoyed with the Liberty Mutual ones though, because I now randomly say Liberty Biberty out loud.

• LOL 6
(edited)

I normally don’t like commercials, but I do like really good ones. I love the one about AIrBnB.  It’s a hairy family on vacation with a great song playing called  Beautiful Strangers. Is it from a movie?  I also like Gainiac, check my drawers!  Sung to the tune of Maniac!  Lol. Sort of funny.    I can’t get enough of the Strangers.  Check it out if you want a big smile.

For those who can, please say a prayer for my Dad tomorrow. He’s have cardioversion procedure.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

When we had satellite tv we’d pause what we were watching, do something else, then fast-forward through that bullshit. Sometimes we’d let it pause for an hour (or record it) so we would not be exposed to the stupidity of commercials. 

We do that all the time with our DVR on Comcast.

At the end of the day I set the TV to the local news channel we watch in the morning and leave the cable box on so that when we wake up we can rewind it enough not to have to watch any commercials or sit through reports that don't interest us.

My biggest frustration is with some channels that don't let you fast forward through commercials on "On Demand".  I've found ways to psych. them out, LOL.  I use the "skip" button on the remote, which puts you ahead either  5 or 10 minutes and then rewind back to the spot where the commercials end!

8 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

We recently got Discovery Plus and I gladly pay the extra $2/month so I don't have to watch the commercials.  WORTH EVERY PENNY.  😉

We do that too!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Not sure if I mentioned, but we moved to Northwest Arkansas in December.   We love it here….but the weather is crazy.  75 one day, snow and ice the next…the ice then lasting through several more 70 degree days. 

I think it's been that kind of Winter everywhere.  Something about "El Niño" (don't ask me, LOL).  Here in the Northeast it's been in the 60s one day, snowing and in the 20s the next.

• Love 4

Quite a few years ago, I received a phone call asking if I would be willing to participate in a survey. I had to watch a particular show, I don’t remember which one. Then they would call me to ask the survey questions.

I watched, and got the call. The questions were about the commercials, which wasn’t stated in the original call. I apologized, and said I thought it was going to be about the show, and that I zone out during commercials. Oh well…..

• LOL 11
(edited)
16 hours ago, Kbo said:

I work for a Fortune 100 insurance company, one of the ones with stupid commercials and an annoying jingle 🙄. They’ve flat out said, the only thing they care about from the commercials is name recognition. If you think about getting an insurance quote, will you think of our company?  I get what you’re saying though, a lot of them drive me crazy, too. 

Not in the way they want me to. If the commercial is stupid, I purposely avoid the company for assuming I’m a gullible idiot. I’ve already stopped buying certain products due to their commercials, even if I liked the product previously. 

Edited to Add: I realize this makes me an outlier, but it’s something companies might want to know (and maybe hadn’t considered). They could be alienating potential customers with their commercials versus attracting customers. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Edited to add
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Sending positive thoughts for your dad @SunnyBeBe

Ok, I admit, I have a major crush on the Persil guy, although I am not a fan of that detergent.

The Persil guy was a main character in the tv show Younger! I don't know if you've seen that one? It has ended now, but I think you can still watch it on the TVland app--I haven't checked recently to see if it's still available on there.

SunnyBebe, sending good thoughts for your dad's procedure! 

22 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Not in the way they want me to. If the commercial is stupid, I purposely avoid the company for assuming I’m a gullible idiot. I’ve already stopped buying certain products due to their commercials, even if I liked the product previously. 

Edited to Add: I realize this makes me an outlier, but it’s something companies might want to know (and maybe hadn’t considered). They could be alienating potential customers with their commercials versus attracting customers. 

You're not an outlier, I do the same thing! I definitely put the annoying to me ads on my do not buy products list!

Edited by WhatAmIWatching
  • Love 5
(edited)
53 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Advertising agencies and marketing professionals have a very good understanding of viewers as well as current and potential customers.  A lot of time, effort, and cost is spent doing market research and analysis and unfortunately fickle customers are frequently considered acceptable losses.  

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 4

Great news.  Daddy’s heart went back into rhythm after one shock.  He’s tired, but resting well at home. We had the most attentive team.  One nurse especially was so kind and helpful.  It’s a large, state  of the art Heart and Vascular wing, but their cafe closed due to covid and now you have to walk to different building.  She saw my cane and offered to make me a cup!  So nice.  Let’s just hope the meds keep him out of Afib.  Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.  

• Love 19
6 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

The worst commercials are for medications. Especially when they start listing the side effects… 

I saw a news report (maybe on CBS Sunday morning, I forget) about the fact that there is a whole industry around making up and promoting names and acronyms for obcure diseases to sell drugs.  I was a nurse for my entire career (nearly 50 years) and never once heard of tardive dyskinesia until a commercial came out about it.  

What cracks me up is the declaration "don't take this drug if you are allergic to it".  Ranks right up there with "don't use this toaster while in a bathtub". Talk about the dumbing down of America.  I wish people stupid enough to need these warnings would ignore them and help filter the gene pool.

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Great news.  Daddy’s heart went back into rhythm after one shock.  He’s tired, but resting well at home. We had the most attentive team.  One nurse especially was so kind and helpful.  It’s a large, state  of the art Heart and Vascular wing, but their cafe closed due to covid and now you have to walk to different building.  She saw my cane and offered to make me a cup!  So nice.  Let’s just hope the meds keep him out of Afib.  Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.  

Great news!

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I saw a news report (maybe on CBS Sunday morning, I forget) about the fact that there is a whole industry around making up and promoting names and acronyms for obcure diseases to sell drugs.  I was a nurse for my entire career (nearly 50 years) and never once heard of tardive dyskinesia until a commercial came out about it.  

What cracks me up is the declaration "don't take this drug if you are allergic to it".  Ranks right up there with "don't use this toaster while in a bathtub". Talk about the dumbing down of America.  I wish people stupid enough to need these warnings would ignore them and help filter the gene pool.

Same! But apparently, we humans like to protect and nurture the stupid ones long enough for them to reproduce and create more stupid people. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Glad to hear this.  I know it was stressful for both of you. 
I love the commercials with Walter the cat-dog.  
Also I am addicted to wordle  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, Cetacean said:

I have wanted that job for as long as I can remember! I wouldn't know how to go about it, but it would be the best job! 😆 

I love the "don't take this if you're allergic" disclaimer because it's so stupid. I think the first time I noticed it was (I think) the Prolia commercials. My friends and I would sign off our texts to remember not to take Prolia if we're allergic.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I love the "don't take this if you're allergic" disclaimer because it's so stupid. I think the first time I noticed it was (I think) the Prolia commercials. My friends and I would sign off our texts to remember not to take Prolia if we're allergic.

My daughter and I love to laugh at those and the labels on infant and baby products and similar things required by the lawyers to avoid the people be dumb lawsuits.  

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

My friends and I would sign off our texts to remember not to take Prolia if we're allergic.

Heck, once they list the 45 agonizing things that you could die from when taking any of these new drugs, why would you even want to try them?

• Love 8
On 3/9/2022 at 6:07 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Such wonderful news! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, WhatAmIWatching said:
On 3/9/2022 at 6:54 PM, Cetacean said:

Expand  Expand  

I have wanted that job for as long as I can remember! I wouldn't know how to go about it, but it would be the best job! 😆 

I had the world's greatest idea for a product back in the early 2000s, before my surgery to remove hemorrhoids. There was a company called Cellegy that made an ointment out of nitroglycerin, called Cellegesic, that was being marketed as an alternative to PreparationH. It actually worked great for me but something must have gone wrong because eventually the company went out of business. I think maybe it caused heart problems.

Their headquarters were in South San Francisco, near the airport. I remember this because I actually went there on a trip to visit my sister in 2003. It was all very secretive and they wouldn't even let me in the building. So they missed out on my fantastic idea. 

Rectify!

Edited by Teafortwo
  • LOL 12
On 3/9/2022 at 1:24 PM, WhatAmIWatching said:

The Persil guy was a main character in the tv show Younger! I don't know if you've seen that one? It has ended now, but I think you can still watch it on the TVland app--I haven't checked recently to see if it's still available on there.

On 3/9/2022 at 11:33 AM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Ok, I admit, I have a major crush on the Persil guy, although I am not a fan of that detergent.

I also have a major crush on Peter Hermann and watched him in the series, "Younger".  And these days crushes like that are fewer and farther between for me.   Whenever I see him in the Persil commercials my heart skips a beat and I miss his character Charles!  I know, I'm pathetic, LOL.  🥰😍

Mahamid, if you like him that much you should definitely check out Younger, I know you'll appreciate it!  Swoon patrol, LOL!!🤩🤪🤪

• Love 3

I’ll check out Younger.  Hermann is fine.  He also appeared in Blue Bloods and Law & Order SVU.  His wife stars in the latter.  I’m not a fan of hers though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 3/9/2022 at 6:54 PM, Cetacean said:

That reminds me of a funny line from The Big Bang Theory.  Bernadette works for a big pharma. company while Leonard is a physicist working at Caltech.

Leonard: You don't go into science for the money.

Bernadette: Speak for yourself. Last month my company both invented and cured restless eye syndrome. Ka-ching, ya blinky chumps!

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That reminds me of a funny line from The Big Bang Theory.  Bernadette works for a big pharma. company while Leonard is a physicist working at Caltech.

Leonard: You don't go into science for the money.

Bernadette: Speak for yourself. Last month my company both invented and cured restless eye syndrome. Ka-ching, ya blinky chumps!

I LOVE me some Bernadette!  🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

I LOVE me some Bernadette!  🤣

Bernie was so funny! I liked most of the BBT characters, but Howard annoyed me many times. I found him just unlikeable—I’d take Sheldon as company any day over Howard. 

At the end, I felt sorry for Penny. She was the only one on the group who never got to make her dreams a reality—the rest of them wound up in the profession they wanted to be in. Penny disliked being a pharmaceutical rep—she made good money, but disliked it nonetheless. 

I suppose that’s somewhat realistic—many people wind up with jobs they don’t love and didn’t dream of and most actors don’t make it to the big time.

I remember how happy she was about her hemorrhoid commercial.   😂

• Love 5
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

We are BBT fans here, too.  I like Amy Farrah Fowler and her quirkiness.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have never watched a single episode of Big Bang Theory.  I know now that I missed out on some very clever comedy.  I pre-judged the show based on the title and thought it would be something like Third Rock From The Sun.  Si-Fi and canned laughter have never been something I have been a fan of (Seinfeld excepted for the canned laughs).   I've got some catching up to do

• Love 7

SandyW, it's worth a watch! It's fun and I don't usually care for the canned sitcoms. There's a good mix of characters and situations that keep it lively.

Today I finally figured out the very loud bird that keeps waking me up! It's a Rufous Sided Towhee/Eastern Towhee! It's really hard to look up bird calls, when my idea of the phonetics may be different from standard, but I found a list someone made and was able to identify it. It's not going to help me sleep any later, but at least I now know who's responsible!

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Ah, yes, the "drink your tea" bird.  It's pretty!

Yes! "Drink your tea" is the perfect descriptor. Wish I would have thought of that, I would have found the bird immediately! I couldn't get my brain away from hearing Skipperdee, like little Eloise's pet turtle in the Eloise books 😆 

It's been fun figuring out the birds that reside in our patch of forest, since it's so different than the birds we had around us in Calif. The Barred owls are gorgeous, huge and loud, and one of them flies to the front of the house, in the Summer evenings, to watch us watching her. Then she shows off by darting down to the ground to dig the cicadas, and darting back to the tree to munch. So graceful. The vultures keep our area of the road spotless, and are neat to see in flight--they're so huge.

I love the whippoorwills, and even the -I think!- mockingbirds that are noisy late at night in Spring and Summer. Exception is the woodpecker who keeps trying to find his bugs in the porch railing...there aren't any! I rush out to chase him off, and he comes back as soon as I walk back inside. Our house is a log home, and he sometimes even tries to peck the logs. (The squirrels try to file their teeth on the window ledges, which is fun for our indoor cats, but not great for the house.)

A few days ago, there were at least 30 robins beneath our front stand of trees, and it was amazing to see so many in one spot! Interestingly, Dad said that his part of Calif hasn't had robins in years. I told him probably because they're all at my house!

When we were driving around a few days ago, we saw literal thousands of tiny blackbirds (I don't yet know what they are) flying in formation and doing loops and swirls. We had to pull off the road for a few minutes to watch them. 

Apologies for waxing long about all the birds! I'm enjoying them and the other wildlife here so much. It's so beautiful here, especially when Spring starts waking everything up.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Yes! "Drink your tea" is the perfect descriptor. Wish I would have thought of that, I would have found the bird immediately! I couldn't get my brain away from hearing Skipperdee, like little Eloise's pet turtle in the Eloise books 😆 

It's been fun figuring out the birds that reside in our patch of forest, since it's so different than the birds we had around us in Calif. The Barred owls are gorgeous, huge and loud, and one of them flies to the front of the house, in the Summer evenings, to watch us watching her. Then she shows off by darting down to the ground to dig the cicadas, and darting back to the tree to munch. So graceful. The vultures keep our area of the road spotless, and are neat to see in flight--they're so huge.

I love the whippoorwills, and even the -I think!- mockingbirds that are noisy late at night in Spring and Summer. Exception is the woodpecker who keeps trying to find his bugs in the porch railing...there aren't any! I rush out to chase him off, and he comes back as soon as I walk back inside. Our house is a log home, and he sometimes even tries to peck the logs. (The squirrels try to file their teeth on the window ledges, which is fun for our indoor cats, but not great for the house.)

A few days ago, there were at least 30 robins beneath our front stand of trees, and it was amazing to see so many in one spot! Interestingly, Dad said that his part of Calif hasn't had robins in years. I told him probably because they're all at my house!

When we were driving around a few days ago, we saw literal thousands of tiny blackbirds (I don't yet know what they are) flying in formation and doing loops and swirls. We had to pull off the road for a few minutes to watch them. 

Apologies for waxing long about all the birds! I'm enjoying them and the other wildlife here so much. It's so beautiful here, especially when Spring starts waking everything up.

We have loads of birds also—must have been 40+ robins earlier, a woodpecker, and we hear and see cardinals all day long. There are also about 24 turkeys that come and go around here. 

• Love 6

I didn't watch BBT for the first several years until my veterinarian asked what I thought about the interactions between nerdy academic scientists, engineers & a geologist (I'm the latter and work with all of them). I watched to see what she was talking about ... and became hooked! I never cared for Sheldon and his constant mugging for the camera, but did like Amy, Leonard & his parents. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

We have loads of birds also...

We are still in the deep freeze in northern Michigans but the darned grackles have showed up and are chasing away all of my usual birds. I normally have 40 or more goldfinches feeding on my two feeders but the grackles have taken over.  Ditto the '"goop" feeders for the various wood peckers.  Sigh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 3/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, WhatAmIWatching said:

I once had a woodpecker who spent hours trying to poke holes through my metal gutters.  It was loud and annoying, and I guess he finally got a headache because he left.  It took him a couple of days to figure out that the gutters were metal and not wood.  He was not too high on the woodpecker intelligence scale.

Edited by CalicoKitty
  • LOL 11
14 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

How do you all deal with getting bad medical prognosis? Any suggestions on how to cope getting more bad news/things wrong with your body? 

Are there support groups for the diagnosis that troubles you?  If in a hospital, social services? 

I know when I had my diagnosis of breast cancer, there was a whole team assembled to offer all kinds of help from massages to diet tips to counseling.  I could have gone to a support group, if I had chosen to do so.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Are there support groups for the diagnosis that troubles you?  If in a hospital, social services? 

I know when I had my diagnosis of breast cancer, there was a whole team assembled to offer all kinds of help from massages to diet tips to counseling.  I could have gone to a support group, if I had chosen to do so.

Not that I can find. 

15 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Not that I can find. 

Ask your doctor for direction.  There are support groups for even the most obscure diseases/ailments.  Good luck on your outcome.😘

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Ask your doctor for direction.  There are support groups for even the most obscure diseases/ailments.  Good luck on your outcome.😘

I am actually not interested in support groups. I went to some before. It’s not for me. I am a very emotional person and cry at everyone’s life experiences. 

1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I am actually not interested in support groups. I went to some before. It’s not for me. I am a very emotional person and cry at everyone’s life experiences. 

Perhaps seek out individual therapy then?  At certain times in my life I've found it very helpful with the right therapist.

I'm actually similar to you in that way.  I didn't find out until I was most of the way through my master's in Counseling Psychology when I had to do an internship.  I had a lot of trouble keeping a necessary professional distance from clients.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, TurtlePower said:

At the end, I felt sorry for Penny. She was the only one on the group who never got to make her dreams a reality—the rest of them wound up in the profession they wanted to be in. Penny disliked being a pharmaceutical rep—she made good money, but disliked it nonetheless. 

I suppose that’s somewhat realistic—many people wind up with jobs they don’t love and didn’t dream of and most actors don’t make it to the big time.

I remember how happy she was about her hemorrhoid commercial.   😂

Remember the "punch line" in that commercial?  "Sittin' Pretty", LOLOL.  🤣

I think the show was trying to show the dichotomy between doing something you love in spite of the money and doing something you don't love because it pays well.  I know some people thought that was a false dichotomy but you're right, it often works out that way in real life, especially for actors.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, deirdra said:

I didn't watch BBT for the first several years until my veterinarian asked what I thought about the interactions between nerdy academic scientists, engineers & a geologist (I'm the latter and work with all of them). I watched to see what she was talking about ... and became hooked! I never cared for Sheldon and his constant mugging for the camera, but did like Amy, Leonard & his parents. 

I have a special relationship with BBT because it resonated so much for me.  I went to an all nerd high school focused on science (The Bronx HS of Science) where I met a lot of brainy people that could have been cast members.  I cracked one classmate up when he posted on Facebook a photo of himself in HS with a few of his friends and I captioned it, "The Original Cast of the Big Bang Theory", LOL.  One woman I knew was so much like Amy you'd all get a kick out of it if I posted her photo.  My best friend (who I met in HS) dressed like her even down to the frumpy orthopedic shoes.  That was back before being a "geek" was cool, though.  I was happy when the show started a trend toward making that possible.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who is the astrophysicist that heads up the Hayden Planetarium in NYC appeared on the show a few times was in my graduating class.  I knew him at the time, he was in my physics class if you can believe that, LOL.  He was the head of the astronomy club when I was there.  I took photos of him!  I had a special experience in HS, very unlike the typical one.  We had no "cool kids", no football jocks either.  

So anyway, that's why I love the show so much!

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I have a special relationship with BBT because it resonated so much for me.  I went to an all nerd high school focused on science (The Bronx HS of Science) where I met a lot of brainy people that could have been cast members.  I cracked one classmate up when he posted on Facebook a photo of himself in HS with a few of his friends and I captioned it, "The Original Cast of the Big Bang Theory", LOL. 

I went to university with several graduates of the Bronx HS of Science and know what you mean!

• Love 5