Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E07: Full Speed Ahead, Captain!

• Start Topic

ChacAttack Amsterdam is not Rotterdam. Really now??? See, that's why you got stung and looked like you had botched botox. What were they waiting for a bus? They should have taken a tram. Then they get on the wrong tram and one that takes 2 stops. They deserved their elimination.

Justin, "Do it right the first time." Ugh. He's so damn irritating. I sometimes don't understand how some teams can get a lead over them but still unable to beat them to the pit stop. News Anchors almost had it, they're like the only team worth rooting for.

Paparazzi when they get to the Roadblock, Chris says he'll do it and Logan is all these sweaty people. Don't know if she was being crusty or worried about his health. I was so hoping that they would go home though, can't take them.

Team Texas can't do simple subtraction? When the camera showed their math work, I was like "WTF are they doing?" Made me think they skipped math class.

I would have done the double dutch. I double dutched all the time in high school during lunch period outside with my friends and I could do the "running man" and a couple of other old school dances. Seeing it brought back memories.

Cheerleaders still annoy me, and don't believe the one that said they just let the News Anchors beat them when her face said otherwise.

I really thought the step thing in the clue meant that they would have to walk to the location instead of taking a cab like some did.

• Love 4

Please no more Justin.   "OH NO, we're in third."   How horrible.   At least he flat out admitted it's not about the joy of being a SuperFan getting to run the Race, if he doesn't win he will consider it a failure.   Which yeah, it's a competition and all, but some perspective would be nice.    And your fiancee is allowed to have a thought of her own without your constantly criticizing her for it.

Loved how ChacAttack went out.   I think they will make cute babies.   Except the whole Rotterdam = Amsterdam thing.   Yeah, they are the same city with COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NAMES.       But wish it had been Mom and Son.   She's just annoying.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 10

That was a great episode!  Well, except for Justin and Diana winning, that is.  Lots of shuffling of position, a needle in a haystack challenge, and another challenge that was challenging regardless of which side they chose.  I'd probably still be there trying to Double Dutch!

But I was really really rooting for either the Cheerleaders or News Anchors to win, and until they're gone, I want the Paps out next.

• Love 7

This is not the best of seasons. Maybe it's a field-wide case of Killer Fatigue, but the teams aren't all that great.

Shut up, Justin. Man, his act is wearing thin for me. I did like the part when he put two and two together and figured out the number of steps he and Diana took would be equated to dollars. That was a funny moment. And they're a better male/female team than Logan & Chris, but that's not saying much.

Speaking of the FitBit stuff . . . heart rate difference equals tulips? Aside from watching the Texans trying to find a horse to stomp out the number they needed, there was so little payoff. It would have been funnier if the greeter got to smack Justin in the face based on his pulse.

Cheerleaders got a spot of bad luck in finishing third, but they're still in the lead pack. And they had a Detour option where they only messed up once. I hope their luck holds, because they come across as a good team.

Indifferent about Cindy & Rick getting eliminated.  I don't think Denise and James Earl are long for the game, though I hope they outlast Logan & Chris. And I can't really take Kelsey & Joey seriously as long as they have those caps.

Anybody else flash back to Amani & Marcus flaming out of TAR19 with the boating simulator?

• Love 10

Well, that was actually a fun leg: nice to go to the Netherlands and not Amsterdam, that is unless you can't read your damn clue.

I'm sort of glad that the Chacs got the heave-ho after such an accumulation of public transportation failures, beginning with the wrong bloody -dam. What is it with medical professionals and basic cluefulness? At least Live Local News worked out that The Hagoo was Den Haag.

(I'm actually a wee bit sympathetic to racers not quite knowing what country they're in: once you're in Schengen, then there are no border checks and it's probably weird for most of them to have a train journey that starts in one country and ends in another. Or a train journey full stop.)

Double Dutch skipping is not Dutch, obviously, other than by reabsorption from the US.

Having the Pit Stop in a different city once all the tasks are done would normally annoy me, but trains to Den Haag from Rotterdam are plentiful and frequent. The ship task was right next to Rotterdam Centraal, while the skip task was a bit further away, which is why the Greens got ahead of the cheerleaders.

• Love 5

Another exciting episode.  I was actually on the edge of my seat in terms of first place!  The Detour was fairly balanced, it was an attention-to-detail Roadblock, and a pretty sweet prize for the winning team.

And now for the teams:

Justin & Diana: Another first-place finish, but they really have to think being fast at securing that train to thank for it, because they did not get off to the best of starts.  They fought about going on foot vs. taking a taxi.  Diana struggled greatly at that Roadblock.  And they had some trouble with the Ship Detour.  Only catching that train early enough got them the win.  Still, a sweet prize on their part.  I would've loved having my steps translated into dollars!  But Justin?  Buddy?  Here to change your lives or not, be thankful for the trip around the world.  The other teams certainly are!

Kelsey & Joey: They got off to a good start when Joey was the only one to clear the Roadblock in one try.  But then, they faltered at the ship Detour long enough for Justin & Diana to pass them up.  Lucky to get to second place by being faster than Tiffany & Krista on the run to the Pit Stop.  I do notice, however, that the editing has shifted priorities.  I think Justin & Diana vs. Tanner & Josh has now shifted to Justin & Diana vs. Kelsey & Joey.  Honestly . . . I like this better, because at least they mentioned wanting to beat them themselves, not by using other teams to do it.

Tiffany & Krista: Another fine leg for them!  Krista struggled just a tiny bit at the Roadblock, but they picked what was definitely the right Detour for them and were the only team to go with Skip.  Had they just been just a few steps faster in catching the tram Justin & Diana were on to the Detour, and maybe got an earlier train to the Hague, they might've won this leg!  Also, I won't blame them too much for thinking Rotterdam was in Germany.  I lived in the Netherlands myself years and years ago, and I, too, thought that it was there the first few months my family lived there.

Tanner & Josh: We got another look at how dumb they are.  Tanner was almost completely clueless at the Roadblock, and neither one of them can do math to save their lives.  They were overwhelmed at the Ship Detour, as well, and had to thank Logan & Chris, Denise & James Earl, and especially Cindy & Rick for being even more overwhelmed at it to thank for finishing fourth.  Also, whoever called them "cute and funny" in last week's thread . . . they're not.  They're just . . . really not.

Logan & Chris: They were much calmer on this leg, but Logan seemed to have the greatest struggles at the Roadblock.  They also weren't great at the Ship Detour, but they at least managed to calm down at it more than the bottom two teams did.  Fifth place was good and earned on their part.

Denise & James Earl: Honestly, they fought their way back into the thick of things so well, they deserved their survival.  Denise didn't take too long at the Roadblock, and they chose the right Detour for them by picking Ship.  They faltered a fair bit, but concentrated and focused long enough to pass up Cindy & Rick.  James Earl, in particular, is the team's MVP for the risky decision to catch the later, direct train to the Pit Stop while Cindy & Rick took the one with two stops.  That may have been what cemented their survival, and kudos to them.

Cindy & Rick: Well, they're gone.  And I have to point the finger of blame squarely at Rick for it.  He lost time at the Roadblock, then nixed Cindy's idea to get a cab to take to the Ship Detour.  From there, they struggled long enough for every team who arrived later (Tanner & Josh, Logan & Chris, and Denise & James Earl) to pass them up.  Add that to Rick's boneheaded idea to stay on the train making two stops vs. Denise & James Earl's direct train, and it was all over by just a bit.  I do wish them well, though, and will sort of miss them.

Great episode!  Next week also looks pretty good!  A Poland return after so long!

• Love 3

What a bunch of dunderheads! Looks like many of them skipped junior high geography. The Cute Texans seem to get by on pure luck because they don't seem to be good at anything, including math.

Glad that Chac Attack is gone. Don't really know why but Mr. Chac annoyed me.

At this point, I'm rooting for the reporters...but the pickings are slim. I really want Justin gone but I doubt that wil happen. Think he is with us until the bitter end. Everyone else...meh.

• Love 3

News Anchors almost had it, they're like the only team worth rooting for.

Is that the team that pronounced The Hague as Hagoo?  I can understand not remembering trivial things like a French motto from history past, but The Hague court is very much part of current life.  It's where they still prosecute war criminals like Saddam Hussein.  He's never seen that word on his prompter?

• Love 23

I was actually hoping the cheerleaders took a train to Germany to see how that played out. Has anyone actually travelled to the wrong country during the race?

Yeah -- Jazmine & Danielle just this season!

Is that the team that pronounced The Hague as Hagoo?

Yep.  That was they.

I don't know why it cracks me up that Doctor Chac got some sort of sting on his lip, and didn't know how to fix it with medicine or Vicks Vapor Rub or something. And he was so clueless at finding his way from point A to point B.

Do YOU want that guy operating on you?? Hell no, not me!!!

• Love 3

Add that to Rick's boneheaded idea to stay on the train making two stops vs. Denise & James Earl's direct train

Actually, that was the only smart bit of transport thinking they did all leg. Denise and James Earl's direct train was delayed an additional 10 minutes, and the 7 minute gap between scheduled departures probably wouldn't have been made up by two stops, as it's only a half-hour journey. Of course, if Denise and James Earl had got on the same train as the Chacs, then the Chacs would have been less likely to get on the wrong tram once they arrived in The Hague. It was that decision which sunk them.

• Love 12

I was actually hoping the cheerleaders took a train to Germany to see how that played out. Has anyone actually travelled to the wrong country during the race?

This is a question I've had for years . Would production let a team travel to the wrong country?

Best leg of the season so far, it felt a bit like old school TAR: lot's of different transportation options, a roadblock that was physically and mentally challenging, and a surprising failure by a team (Chacattack) that should have been more on the ball. I was really hoping for canal vaulting when they sent them into the Dutch countryside. I was disappointed that they sent them to a really interesting looking distillery only to get a clue. Surely they could have come up with a task there!

• Love 7

Aside from watching the Texans trying to find a horse to stomp out the number they needed, there was so little payoff.

OMG!  Dying here!  Too funny.  

Son and I were commenting about the dumbest cast ever.  Could be KF, but still.  "The Hagoo" cracked me up.

As for the Amsterdam/Rotterdam confusion, had they been in Belgium this might actually be a sort of an issue, where cities do have two names.  But I think these were just idiot mistakes.  Guess they really don't teach geography in school anymore!

• Love 7

The Hagoo, Row-terdam which is not the same city as Amsterdam, nor is it in Germany. Are these the dumbest contestants ever on the race?

And 152 minus 128 is 42 or 22. And Tram 9 is not Tram 1. Who knew?

I don't think even KF could explain the massive volume of stupidity in this episode. I am thinking the producers may have drugged the racers for fun.

• Love 20

Ugh.... Justin cannot get off my screen fast enough please.  I could swear I saw his head grow two sizes again this week.   Just plain insufferable...

Everybody else was fine for me this week.  Actually sad to see ChacAttack go but the goof ups they made travel wise did them in.  The Rotterdam=Amsterdam made me shake my head but I will give credit that they managed to catch that early enough.   

At this point.... Texas and the Reporters are the only ones I really want to root for.  Alabama I am on the fence with but they did fight hard to keep their ass in the race.  The Paps were more mellow, if that's even possible, this week...less arguing-  that became Justin and Diana's department.  Cheerleaders are doing better too- still squealing, squeaky.

Just...  Justin please go away.  I shudder to think what he'd act like if he was in the bottom of the pack- he was already looking grouchy when 3 teams passed him.  Maddening and annoying that they still managed to win... yeech.

Loved the ship detour- I'd probably have failed the mission 10 times and still had fun.

that said...18 tries at the rap detour for Alabama.. yow....they were dang lucky it was a TBC leg.

• Love 8

Would production let a team travel to the wrong country?

On trains in western Europe? Definitely yes. (As Dale Griffin says, Jazmine & Danielle crossed the Zambia-Zimbabwe border early and had to cross back, but that was part of the planned route.)

I'm surprised that Chac Attack stayed in third at the beginning of the leg, in spite of adding at least 90 minutes to their journey from Paris. They took the Thalys an extra 45 minutes or so up to Schiphol and then had to go back. I also wonder if they got into a bit of trouble with the ticket inspectors (not shown on the broadcast) because they only had tickets to Rotterdam.

Thinking in general about this leg: the tasks were all ones you would most likely fail first time, because it was only by failing that you worked out the way to succeed. The teams that did best were the ones who learned quickest from their mistakes. That's one reason why it had an old-school feel to it.

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 2

I don't know why it cracks me up that Doctor Chac got some sort of sting on his lip, and didn't know how to fix it with medicine or Vicks Vapor Rub or something. And he was so clueless at finding his way from point A to point B.

Do YOU want that guy operating on you?? Hell no, not me!!!

I felt really bad for Rick.  Several times over the past few years, my lip swelled up just like that.  It was really annoying and embarrassing, and I wasn't even participating in a stressful race broadcast on national TV!  I wish they hadn't broadcast that bit with the other teams talking about it.  It's not like he could help it.

I know Rick said it was a sting, but I wonder if he knew that for sure or was just guessing.  When it happened to me, doctors could find no particular cause (allergy).  Even if Rick knew exactly what it was, it's not like he had access to unlimited supplies to treat it beyond what TAR medical provides (and these things can take a long time to return to normal).

And looking at Rick's patient reviews, he seems to be quite good at his job.  I just wouldn't want him navigating me around The Netherlands.

Everyone was really dumb, right?  Was there any team who didn't do something extremely stupid?  I had the reporters in that category until The Hague.  And while Tanner and Josh's math was bad--I mean, really, really, bad--I was more aghast at the cheerleaders seemingly use a calculator to find a difference that turned out to be...20.  Really?  Did I see that right?

But the stupidity did provide a lot of humor to what was the best episode of the season, with great tasks, lots of self-navigation, and tons of position changes despite the seemingly spread out start.  The only downside was Justin coming back to win.  He is the worst.

• Love 9

I start to take back a lot of the things I have said about last season and even the family season.  Because this group is dumb, dumb, DUMB.  

Would production let a team travel to the wrong country?

If they have the money and credit cards to burn, then yes.  That or you are in South Korea, your taxi goes the wrong way and oopsie, you're damn close to North Korea!

I think the ones I can sort of tolerate is the cheerleaders.  They seem to be more careful in picking detours that favour them better.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 5

Count me as shocked at how dumb people are.  The Hague is in the news all the time, and still all but a couple of the teams clearly had never even heard of it.  I am frozen in shock that a group of educated adults did not about The Hague.  It's like sort of a big deal.  

Diana should just let Justin decide everything.  No really.  Just let him make all the decisions.  She can then avoid his constant abuse of her when she makes even the tiniest of mistakes.  Speaking of which, since Justin is such a pro at all this he should know to take a taxi whenever you can.  You go straight there and, more importantly, you do not start out what will of course be a physically demanding day with one mile race.  

How was "Rotterdam is not Amsterdam." not the title quote?

What were they thinking? Maybe they were confusing it with the Netherlands being often being referred to as Holland?

I wonder if they thought Rotterdam was a part of Amsterdam or something?  I dunno.  Anyway, Rotterdam is a pretty major city.  I just assumed everyone knew about it.  But TAR never ceases to astound me with the complete and total ignorance of these people, especially since these are people who love nothing more than to talk about how smart and competitive they are, which is now obviously something all of them just made up in their own minds.  

• Love 6

Speaking of which, since Justin is such a pro at all this he should know to take a taxi whenever you can.

In normal circumstances when there's no stipulation to travel on foot, yeah. This time, the whole Fitbit promo was sufficiently vague that if I'd been running that leg, I'd have been willing to travel on foot when other options were available. I didn't think that the step count would be converted to dollars at the end*; instead I suspected there might be a final Route Marker task after the Detour where teams were given a boost for taking more steps during the course of the leg.

* Pretty sure that's the biggest cash prize ever given out on a leg, perhaps reflecting how we've had two TBCs so far where no leg prize has been awarded half-way. It's about as much as the typical Ford car prize later in the race.

• Love 5

I was amazed to find out from a teacher friend that they don't teach cursive writing in schools anymore...I guess subtraction and geography have also been eliminated.

Rotterdam is very modern..it was bombed by the Germans in WW2...Amsterdam was overrun but physically untouched...history, even fairly recent history, no longer taught either, I guess.

But as the poster above noted, how can the news team not know The Hague...home of the International Court...unless they only do local news.

This stuff never makes Americans looks good...but maybe European or Asian teams would be equally befuddled in America. 

• Love 2

I was amazed to find out from a teacher friend that they don't teach cursive writing in schools anymore...I guess subtraction and geography have also been eliminated.

Rotterdam is very modern..it was bombed by the Germans in WW2...Amsterdam was overrun but physically untouched...history, even fairly recent history, no longer taught either, I guess.

But as the poster above noted, how can the news team not know The Hague...home of the International Court...unless they only do local news.

This stuff never makes Americans looks good...but maybe European or Asian teams would be equally befuddled in America.

Wait, why would the Germans bomb Rotterdam? I thought it was in Germany. :-)

• Love 7

Well, the Chacs went to the wrong city tonight...  I don't think I'd want him operating on me.

Hagoo?  These are reporters?

TeamTexas is just ignorant af.

I had to laugh at James Earl jumping up and down while his mother was doing the piloting.

• Love 3

The Hagoo. I'm dying! That is awesome and will stick with me for a long time. And they're reporters?! In a very small town maybe that never reports international news?

They seem cool and hardworking but every time I see them it's like the first time. I have no memory of them.

Insufferable, yes, is the perfect word for Justin. He was so disrespectful to Diana. Then he's all happy again and it's swept under the rug when they win another leg. I hate that.

• Love 10

We've seen some fairly stupid errors, but in the racer's defense, it is a lot easier to be confused reading Den Haag rather than The Hague.  The reporters noted that the Hague was not written in English on their clue, so I can understand why initially many teams struggled with the reading of the clue.  

I also laughed at the cheerleader who noted that her 7 years at college paid off when she solved the Van Gogh roadblock, and suppose it is generally better not to know which country you are visiting than to not remember the name of the city you are trying to reach.   The dentists were very lucky someone on the train recognized their clue and sent them back to Rotterdam.

• Love 1

I am willing to give them a pass on the math. They all seemed utterly exhausted and I don't think their brains were operating at full capacity.

The cheerleaders killed that double Dutch! That looked nearly impossible to me!

• Love 2

in the racer's defense, it is a lot easier to be confused reading Den Haag rather than The Hague. The reporters noted that the Hague was not written in English on their clue, so I can understand why initially many teams struggled with the reading of the clue.

Nononono. The clue said 'The Hague', which Live Local News decided was 'The Hagoo'. When they got to the train station, they worked out that the Dutch name for The Hagoo, which appeared on the screens, was not The Hagoo but Den Haag.

They seem cool and hardworking but every time I see them it's like the first time.

I think that's part of the whole Live Local News thing: when your career might take you to North Dakota or North Carolina, you cultivate a kind of anodyne look and sound that fits without making an impact. They're so anodyne.

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 2

To the individual who PMed me... I certainly hope you sent the same type of PM to every other poster who like Team Texas.  Certainly didn't appreciate the tone of your PM either.

I don't owe you or anyone else any explanations as to my likes and dislikes.

• Love 17

How was "Rotterdam is not Amsterdam." not the title quote?

What were they thinking? Maybe they were confusing it with the Netherlands being often being referred to as Holland?

They must think that the Johnsons and the Andersons and the Jacksons are all the same family, right?  They all end the same!

We've seen some fairly stupid errors, but in the racer's defense, it is a lot easier to be confused reading Den Haag rather than The Hague.  The reporters noted that the Hague was not written in English on their clue, so I can understand why initially many teams struggled with the reading of the clue.  

Are you saying that it said "Den Haag" and he thought that might sound like Hagooo in English?  Den Haag ends in G.  How would he have gotten an ooo sound from that?

Actually to sound out Den Haag is easier than The Hague.  Den is pronounced just how it looks.  Haag sounds like the beginning of Haagen Dazs, the ice cream. 

So, no defenses for the teams.

Edited by Lemons
  • Love 3

As much as I dislike Justin (and Diana by association), I have to admit that they are pretty formidable competitors. How did they finish the simulator much faster than the reporters? How did they get to Rotterdam Centraal ahead of the cheerleaders when the cheerleaders finished earlier? As well, earlier they were shown to be willing to stand on the train trip between Paris Nord to Rotterdam Centraal. Even with Thalys it is more than 2.5 hours trip. Compare that with the brothers who were just chillin' waiting for their reserved trip instead of scrambling for a better one.

• Love 6

The teams on the French TAR a few years ago didn't have a problem during the two American legs of that version's race (in Hawaii and Hollywood, specifically).  It's definitely a "dumb American" thing, I'm sorry to say.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3

I would take a show full of Justins over these idiots who don't even know what city, let alone country, they are in.

I would take a show full of good sports over the egomaniac, arrogant, obnoxious, crybaby Justin.

Please, please let The Green Team get beaten by one of the other teams.  Their meltdown would be must-see TV!

Edited by escape
  • Love 11

I am willing to give them a pass on the math. They all seemed utterly exhausted and I don't think their brains were operating at full capacity.

I couldn't give them a pass on the math because it wasn't like both team members did all the running for the roadblock task on the painting. One member had to stay and watch, so the one who didn't do the roadblock could have done the math. 

• Love 3