Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Jimmy Kimmel and Guillermo, Wink Frozen Desserts, Saavy Naturals, Clean Cube, Simply Fit Board

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Jimmy Kimmel and Guillermo Rodriguez are back with some new ideas; a couple discovered ice cream with only 100 calories per pint; professional chefs present soaps and lotions you can eat; two men have solved the problem of missing deliveries at home; and a mother & daughter pitch a way to stay fit with one simple product. Also, an update on Tipsy Elves that Robert Herjavec invested in during Season 5.

Another unfunny pitch from Jimmy Kimmel AND the umpteenth update on Tipsy Elves?  Why not throw in a visit to Simple Sugars and go for the hat trick?

This might be an episode that requires a few glasses of wine.

• Love 4

Another unfunny pitch from Jimmy Kimmel AND the umpteenth update on Tipsy Elves?  Why not throw in a visit to Simple Sugars and go for the hat trick?

This might be an episode that requires a few glasses of wine.

No visit but a mention!

For years, I've been waiting to see a food product on this show that obviously tasted like crap. There have been some where the Sharks politely said it wasn't quite to their tastes, or maybe even a couple plain "I didn't like it"s, but the camera showing Mark and Robert's reaction to trying the "ice cream" made my day. No way that was scripted!

• Love 10

Etsy's got over 100K entries for "soap", guys. What makes you special?

OK, sharks, maybe NYC doesn't have a lot of 80-100 unit apartment complexes with space for a delivery thing like that, but trust me, the rest of the country is *packed* with them. The hard part would be getting the delivery people to use it - I've had boxes get shipped back to sender because they just got dropped off at a random unit in my complex, and my neighbors were jerks and just bounced it instead of doing something sensible like put it in the mailroom.

All I want for Christmas is for Tipsy Elves to go under.

• Love 3

So I ordered the fit board thing.  It seemed a little pricey, but looks like fun and I could use something to get back into working out.

I keep rooting for Kevin and Robert to get deals, because they've been getting turned down all season.  Lots of Kevin's deals are crap, but not all of them. But the way they keep getting ignored makes me see them as underdogs.

• Love 5

I won't fault them for the Tipsy Elves push: when I first started seeing ads for The Night Before, I had a feeling the sweaters were from then (there is also an episode featuring the cast on Lip Sync Battle airing in a few weeks and yes more fugly sweaters.) I did try going on the website after their segment and I couldn't log on. People may hate them but they clearly are doing something right. Robert always says that this was one of best investments he ever made.

The delivery system is a good idea but that may require a lot of delivery people learning how it works. Plus what would happen if the system breaks and you can't get to your stuff?

My mail carrier can't handle putting mail in my mailbox when it's correctly labeled. Things I have ordered have been immediately sent back to the shipper because he doesn't even try to read the label. Woe be it for him if he had to learn how to open a different box from the mailbox. I'd love it though.

Unless something I order is too big to carry home, I just have it sent to work. (I didn't know where my new TV was for two days because of aforementioned mail carrier. Writing "Leasing Office" on a slip of paper was too hard, and then the braintrust at the leasing office telling me it was there was also too hard. Tell me about this "doorman" thing again?)

• Love 4

Etsy's got over 100K entries for "soap", guys. What makes you special?

OK, sharks, maybe NYC doesn't have a lot of 80-100 unit apartment complexes with space for a delivery thing like that, but trust me, the rest of the country is *packed* with them. The hard part would be getting the delivery people to use it - I've had boxes get shipped back to sender because they just got dropped off at a random unit in my complex, and my neighbors were jerks and just bounced it instead of doing something sensible like put it in the mailroom.

The delivery solution required interior space (presumably for security, power, and maybe protection from the weather?). Most complexes that that don't have a leasing office open during the day, don't have an interior common space that is open to delivery people. Even urban buildings with a lobby but no doorman often have most of the lobby behind a secure door, and packages get left in the entry way. I'm not sure you could fit one of their installations in some of the entryways I've seen. I can't imagine a coffee shop putting one of those things in either, frankly. It takes up lots of space and does nothing for most of their clientele.

I'm not much of an exercise person, but I thought lots of twisting was bad for you?

I'm sure the soap products are very nice, but I always smile when people say things like "chemical free soap" since soap-making is one of the earliest chemical industries.

"Wink" sounded fairly awful to me. But they seem like nice folks who've had a tough year. If there are customers out there for that product, I hope they find them.

I wonder if Wink would have been better off if they didn't try to claim to be an ice cream alternative. For a person who loves real ice cream, it's hard enough convincing them to eat frozen yogurt or low fat ice cream (it isn't terrible, but isn't the same). Good luck convincing them to eat organic pea protein or whatever. Just be your own kind of dessert and maybe the expectations won't be as high.

• Love 5

So I ordered the fit board thing.  It seemed a little pricey, but looks like fun and I could use something to get back into working out.

Please report back! Sometimes it does take a new toy to get back into working out, and I liked the balance aspect of this -- plus it's easy to store in a small apartment.

I wonder if Wink would have been better off if they didn't try to claim to be an ice cream alternative. For a person who loves real ice cream, it's hard enough convincing them to eat frozen yogurt or low fat ice cream (it isn't terrible, but isn't the same). Good luck convincing them to eat organic pea protein or whatever. Just be your own kind of dessert and maybe the expectations won't be as high.

People get defensive enough when recipes call frozen pureed bananas "ice cream", much less free-of-everything pea protein. Though to be fair, the product seemed to be awful tasting regardless of what they called it.

• Love 2

Wink reminded me of something from The Cosby Show:  "Zero fat, zero salt, zero cholesterol...and zero taste."

The soap couple got on my nerves.  I mean, the product and the packaging were very attractive, and I'm sure they'll be very successful in their space, but man, I loathe the way natural products throw around buzzwords that don't really mean anything like "detoxify."  Also, Robert (I think) raised the success Jessica Alba's The Honest Company, but didn't they get into trouble for being less than honest?  And what was the point of using food-grade products if people aren't supposed to eat it?

Doorman isn't dissimilar from Amazon Locker, and frankly, if I could send and receive my dry cleaning like that, I'd be all over it.

Fit Board is a perfect Lori product.

• Love 2

Halo Top has a good reputation for flavor as a low-cal ice cream substitute.  It's 240-280 per pint, certainly more than their promised 100. But considering it's replacing Ben & Jerry's at 1000 / pint and actually tastes good, I'd call it good enough.

• Love 1

People have been solving the Clean Cube problem for years by having things delivered to their offices.  Even here in NYC.  If it's something large, they may have to make other arrangements.  As for dry cleaning, if you don't have a doorman,  you have to go pick it up.  Not too hard, since the dry cleaner is usually a block away in NYC.  In suburbs, you use your car.

Amazon has started the locker program, which is the same idea, but just for Amazon deliveries.  They have installed them in one of the local supermarkets here.  I never see anyone using it. 

I don't see that many landlords here are going to install this thing, and the delivery people would need access to the inside space.

Maybe it would be good for suburban complexes, if it could be installed outside.

It's a good idea and might be something people want, but I think the difficulties of the market were clear.

The ice-cream substitute?  Yech. 

Edited by GussieK

There are several ice creams on the market that are not made from milk or have any sugar in them. If you did blind taste tests most people would say these would be pretty good and would be shocked that it wasn't real ice cream. Usually these come from Japan  but there are some US brands that are pretty damn good. Wish I remembered the name of one that I had tasted years ago.

For years, I've been waiting to see a food product on this show that obviously tasted like crap. There have been some where the Sharks politely said it wasn't quite to their tastes, or maybe even a couple plain "I didn't like it"s, but the camera showing Mark and Robert's reaction to trying the "ice cream" made my day. No way that was scripted!

Wasn't the dog ice cream that was also human edible, crap tasting according to the sharks? 

There was also some kind of hot chocolate, that was supposed to be based on a traditional Mayan recipe that they all hated.

As for dry cleaning, if you don't have a doorman,  you have to go pick it up.  Not too hard, since the dry cleaner is usually a block away in NYC.

Which is fine, assuming your schedule is conducive to doing so.  Mine rarely is.

Amazon has started the locker program, which is the same idea, but just for Amazon deliveries.  They have installed them in one of the local supermarkets here.  I never see anyone using it.

The one I used to use would fill up constantly.  Maybe it depends on the neighborhood.

• Love 1

Halo Top has a good reputation for flavor as a low-cal ice cream substitute.  It's 240-280 per pint, certainly more than their promised 100. But considering it's replacing Ben & Jerry's at 1000 / pint and actually tastes good, I'd call it good enough.

I agreed with Kevin that they should have upped it to 200-300 calories and made it better tasting. That is still a lot less than regular ice cream.

The delivery solution required interior space (presumably for security, power, and maybe protection from the weather?). Most complexes that that don't have a leasing office open during the day, don't have an interior common space that is open to delivery people.

I think Barbara nailed the target size of 80-100 units, because the smaller places I've lived in just had a bank of mailboxes outside, but the ones in that range tend to have mailrooms - we've got 2 of them for our 80-unit condo, and there's plenty of room for something like this. Even if only, say, 25% of them have mailrooms, that's a big market.

Well, as I said, I liked Kimmel's last pitch, but the Kid Cone was crap. Just not funny. 

At this point I feel sorry for Robert. When's the last time he actually made a deal? Kevin I feel kind of dug his own grave by trying to be the Simon Cowell of the show, not realizing that when you're the jerk nobody will want to work with you. All Simon had to do was be a judge, not convince people to make deals with him.

What was up with Mark saying that because he's lactose intolerant, when he eats ice cream it's his wife who pays the price? Does she have to clean up his runny mess?

• Love 3

What was up with Mark saying that because he's lactose intolerant, when he eats ice cream it's his wife who pays the price? Does she have to clean up his runny mess?

I'm guessing he was referring to his smelly gas that she has to live with after he eats lactose.

• Love 1

To focus on the least important and most minor detail of the night: tuck your damned shirt in, Wink guy. Unless "slob" was the impression you were trying to make?

Oh, Americans. We want to eat foods that are fatty and sugary and delicious but without the consequences and without exercising any personal self control. Me included! But that ain't how life works, at least not yet.. Perhaps when we get those food replicators that science fiction has promised us. On the other hand, protein bars taste like metallic, powdered vomit to me and those sell by the billions so this might be a case of what do I know.

I've lived at the same address for 6 years and get one or two packages a week. For some reason the post office decided they couldn't find my house recently and returned a box to Amazon. (In a nice nod to Shark Tank, it was a shipment of Cottonelle adult wipes.) While I like the idea of the lockers, I agree with those who think some delivery people may lack to strength to care.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

I'm wondering if it's time Shark Tank got rid of Kevin and Robert? Neither one of them makes any deals and while I do feel sorry for Robert sometimes, and I never feel sorry for Kevin, it's uncomfortable that NO ONE comes on the show wanting a deal with either of them.

I'd personally love it if they got rid of Lori, OR at least made her rotate with Barbara, but if I HAD something that was perfect for QVC, Lori's probably the one I'd pick so I see a need for her, even if I don't care for her.

The looks on Robert's and Mark's faces when they tasted Wink were priceless. Also, enough of the Jimmy Kimmel gag presentations; Horse Pants was funny if for no other reason than his polo with the horse wearing the pants. Kid Kone wasn't funny at all.

I think America's running out of interesting entrepreneurs.

• Love 2

I'm wondering if it's time Shark Tank got rid of Kevin and Robert? Neither one of them makes any deals and while I do feel sorry for Robert sometimes, and I never feel sorry for Kevin, it's uncomfortable that NO ONE comes on the show wanting a deal with either of them.

Robert brings a likable energy, and his offers often get or keep things moving (his offer helped the soap people even though they didn't take it, by moving the bargaining point off 50%). Kevin is just mean, and rude, and he injects those weird loan deals that no one will take. I could do without him, but I suspect he's pretty baked in to the roster, isn't he?

Apropos of nothing, did anyone else see Cuban sort of half try on the "trillionaire hat" realize it was way too small, and put it aside? I felt a little sorry for the big-headed lug.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

Maybe it's the show itself that needs a shakeup.  I'm no entrepreneur, and figuring out the math on these deals is not my strong point, but I would like to see a lot more of the sharks explaining what it is that makes each one of them suitable for the business in question.  I know they try to do this sometimes, but most of the time they get interrupted by some other shark saying "Make a decision now or I'm off the table" or "I'll lower the offer by x amount, but you have to tell me now" (a Lori specialty).  If the show was changed so the entrepreneurs got to hear all the offers with no ultimatums, we might not have so many deals going to the lowest bidder.

I do feel bad for Robert, I can't remember the last time he got a deal on his own.  He just seems to let himself get undercut.  Maybe he and Kevin don't care enough to lower their offers, but it makes the show dull when you can predict how each segment is going to end up.

The Simply fit thing looks like another contraption that people will lose interest in VERY fast. I've already seen similar things before, namely, from someone pitching on Dragon's Den Canada. To me, it's not unlike the Thigh Master. People just need to get out and move, not look for silly shortcuts. And I'm sorry but the mother in that duo looked tubby, especially around the middle.

• Love 2

Wasn't a fan of the soap people. First, Lush seems pretty firmly entrenched in the food grade soap product business. But really, I did not find the couple as cute as Barbara and Lori did. Every time a business related question was asked, the wife started to answer, only to have the husband cut in and change the topic by saying something silly and unrelated. Maybe some find that charming; I found it obnoxious and evasive. I would have loved to hear more about them getting forced out of the 10m soap company they already created, because that's very telling. Based on the evasive answers you got from wifey before husband started to sing and dance, they gave up too much equity. But I have to wonder what happened (or didn't happen) after the funding was raised and the company grew that didn't please the majority owners.

• Love 3

I laughed when the Wink guy said "it's not really a product for everyone" in reference to their "ice cream." That's something you probably don't want to say to a room full of potential investors.

• Love 2

The soap guy had a company that had 10 million in sales, but they lost the company when they stopped being majority owners.  And they stopped being majority owners because they had to sell off shares  in order to build inventory or fund purchase orders.  I wanted the sharks to ask, "If you have a company that had 10 million in sales, why couldn't you fund purchase orders?  Where did the money go instead of inventory?"

They also should have asked, how is your product better than the other food grade soap products out there?  But I guess the sharks knew they weren't going to make them an offer, so why bother getting into the details.  

I would buy the balance board if it wasn't $45.  It only costs them $10 to make.  I would think that lowering the price would increase sales more than enough to offset the price decrease and profits would be higher.  For $30 I would give something a try, for $45, I wouldn't, unless I had already tested out a friend's.  

I wish the mailbox guys would have explained how the delivery guy puts the item in the box.  It may be as simple as pushing a button labeled "delivery" and then putting in the apartment number.  But, if it is in a retail store, they would have to put in more than an number, and the delivery people would probably hate it - it would take too much time (especially since the Fed Ex and UPS guys have delivered stuff to my house at 8 pm - I don't think they want to do anything that takes extra time). 

The "ice cream" people blew it when they decided to say they were an ice cream substitute.  They should have said they were a "frozen treat for those who have dietary restrictions and need to watch their calories."  Nothing like having people say your product tastes bad on national television to end your business before it starts.  

• Love 3

I laughed when the Wink guy said "it's not really a product for everyone" in reference to their "ice cream." That's something you probably don't want to say to a room full of potential investors.

I mean, I think it's fair to make a niche product, and there's a way he could've said that's what they were trying to do that sounds less stupid. If you have a strong, but spendy minority you can charge a premium for a product that has smaller appeal because it meets a need of the people who do want it. The point of being "not for everyone" isn't alone necessarily a downside, even though in this case the way he reacted he did look foolish and the looks on the sharks faces when they tasted it kind of said it all...

Another unfunny pitch from Jimmy Kimmel AND the umpteenth update on Tipsy Elves? Why not throw in a visit to Simple Sugars and go for the hat trick?

I've been a loyal Simple Sugars user since I first saw it on Shark Tank. I actually wouldn't mind an update, as I know they've expanded quite a bit and have enhanced their sales model in some nice ways for their customers.

My husband is lactose intolerant. I knew exactly what Mark meant!

Edited by pbutler111
  • Love 1
I've been a loyal Simple Sugars user since I first saw it on Shark Tank. I actually wouldn't mind an update, as I know they've expanded quite a bit and have enhanced their sales model in some nice ways for their customers.

I've bought 8-10 products I've seen in the Tank, but Simple Sugars is the only one I continue to use and re-order. (I even tried making my own once, in a fit of thriftiness, but it wasn't as nice.)

The soap guy had a company that had 10 million in sales, but they lost the company when they stopped being majority owners.  And they stopped being majority owners because they had to sell off shares  in order to build inventory or fund purchase orders.  I wanted the sharks to ask, "If you have a company that had 10 million in sales, why couldn't you fund purchase orders?  Where did the money go instead of inventory?"

They also should have asked, how is your product better than the other food grade soap products out there?  But I guess the sharks knew they weren't going to make them an offer, so why bother getting into the details.  

I would buy the balance board if it wasn't $45.  It only costs them $10 to make.  I would think that lowering the price would increase sales more than enough to offset the price decrease and profits would be higher.  For $30 I would give something a try, for $45, I wouldn't, unless I had already tested out a friend's.  

I wish the mailbox guys would have explained how the delivery guy puts the item in the box.  It may be as simple as pushing a button labeled "delivery" and then putting in the apartment number.  But, if it is in a retail store, they would have to put in more than an number, and the delivery people would probably hate it - it would take too much time (especially since the Fed Ex and UPS guys have delivered stuff to my house at 8 pm - I don't think they want to do anything that takes extra time). 

The "ice cream" people blew it when they decided to say they were an ice cream substitute.  They should have said they were a "frozen treat for those who have dietary restrictions and need to watch their calories."  Nothing like having people say your product tastes bad on national television to end your business before it starts.  

The Q and A is often an hour or more. So when editing hits a lot of stuff is not shown. Those could have easily been brought up in the unaired material. OH the filming for the episode is 14 hours without breaks. Hence why the sharks are often hungry and readily devour anything brought to them. 

• Love 1

The Q and A is often an hour or more. So when editing hits a lot of stuff is not shown. Those could have easily been brought up in the unaired material. OH the filming for the episode is 14 hours without breaks. Hence why the sharks are often hungry and readily devour anything brought to them. 

I guess I should have said, "I wish they would have showed ...." instead of "I wished they would have asked ...."

I didn't understand the clean cube thing*at all.* I wish they had showed us viewers how the cubes were accessed by home owners & the pick up/delivery people. I just couldn't grasp it at all.

Were there different cubes for dry cleaning, outgoing laundry, other outgoing things? How is that secure? I'm mystified.

There used to be storage lockers in Grand Central Station *many* years ago, I can barely remember seeing them, I was probably a teenager, but I think they cost about a quarter to use at the time - I am sure they were eliminated for reasons of security - you have to wonder if that issue would also come up with this idea.  If I needed a storage locker I'd want my own, not one that was randomly used by someone else as they made it seem.

I also can see the doormen's union in New York protesting this.

They were intended for buildings without doormen. People think New York City is this huge place because so many movies and TV shows are set there, but the population accounts for less than 2% of the overall U.S. population. And the buildings with doormen serve only probably a tiny percentage of that population.

There's a HUGE untapped market in the U.S. for the cubes, but there are inherent problems in setting them up in existing spaces. Amazon is making it work, albeit with some issues, in rented commercial space, if I understand correctly. I think with the right people helping them--and maybe partnerships with some of the larger apartment rental companies in the country--they could go far.

Edited by bilgistic

You're given a code for each use.  Punch in the code, you open the door of a specific locker to either pick up or drop off whatever you're trying to send out/receive.

I was going to ask you specifics, but then I decided that if I was that interested, I should just check the Clean Cube website.  And here is what I found --

CLEAN CUBE  allows you to conveniently drop off and pick up your green dry cleaning and wash & fold, drop off mini-storage, donate to Goodwill and receive packages from your building’s lobby!
ITS SIMPLE!  Upon registration you receive a personal passcode to access the cubes through our touch screen. The cubes are securely shared with your neighbors, but once one is occupied it becomes unavailable for anyone else to use.

How it works (for dry cleaning or wash and fold laundry, and donations to goodwill, etc): 

THE DROP OFF

Simply drop off your wash & fold, dry cleaning, mini-storage or clothing donations into any available cube in your lobby.

THE PICK UP

We pick up your bags and take them to be serviced, stored or donated.

THE RETURN

Your clean bags are returned to your building’s Clean Cube, waiting to be picked up at your convenience.

And for package delivery:

THE ORDER:

Order your packages online and send them to the specified address below, You must register to receive packages:

[YOUR REGISTERED NAME HERE]

Attn: Lexington Cleaners

1787 Lexington Ave

New York, NY 10029

Note: Package dimensions must be smaller than 30 x 12 x 20 inches (HxWxL) to fit inside your cube. If you order an oversized package we will make a special door delivery for a $15 surcharge.

THE DELIVERY

We’ll deliver your package into your building’s Clean Cube.

THE PICK-UP

Come home to your packages waiting for you!

This is not at all what I expected.  How delivery people feel about it is a moot point - UPS, Fed Ex, USPS doesn't deliver to the cube, they deliver to a dry cleaners and the someone else delivers to your apartment complex.  

The Clean Cube employees also pick up your donations and bring them to Goodwill.  The website specified Goodwill, so I don't think you can donate to Salvation Army instead.  

The website also mentions that they are planning on starting to deliver groceries soon.  I wonder if the grocery store puts together the items, or if the clean cube people do.  I would suspect that you need to buy from a specific store.

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

Sounds like the system is really more for dry cleaning (I guess the name does hint at that) but they've tried to shoehorn package delivery in there. If you're sending it to a third-party anyway, I can't see why most people wouldn't just have thing sent to their office. It sounds like it is just over-complicating the system and creating way more ways things can go wrong.

The thing with having packages sent to your office: not everyone works in an office. For example, if you work retail or in food service, you don't have an office to receive packages. When I worked retail a million years ago, I assure you my manager wouldn't have wanted me to receive personal mail at the store.

• Love 1

Apropos of nothing, did anyone else see Cuban sort of half try on the "trillionaire hat" realize it was way too small, and put it aside? I felt a little sorry for the big-headed lug.

He couldn't wear the wood-brimmed hat from a couple of episodes ago, either.  Being a large-headed person myself who can never find hats that fit (and I look great in hats!), I can commiserate.  When I was 12, I was to be a Jr. Bridesmaid at my uncle's wedding, and his then-fiancee asked my mom to measure my head so she could get a custom hat made, one that would match the bridesmaid's gown.

The measurement (like 22 inches) was so large that the hatmaker insisted my mother had measured wrongly ("No twelve year old has a head that big!"), and we all had to trudge out of state to my future aunt's hometown so her hatmaker could measure me in person, which she did.  End result: I ended up wearing a matching kerchief instead.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 3

I've bought 8-10 products I've seen in the Tank, but Simple Sugars is the only one I continue to use and re-order. (I even tried making my own once, in a fit of thriftiness, but it wasn't as nice.)

Yes!  I've tried many products seen on ST, but Simple Sugars is now an everyday part of my life.  I use the emu oil option and I was able to give up all facial moisturizers.  And I love that they now have a subscription service.  Definitely the best thing I've ever seen on Shark Tank!

That balance board seemed legit, actually. Probably the most legit fitness product they've had on this show. I'm a personal trainer, so I have a bit of experience with these kinds of things, and it seems like it would work just fine for the purposes they describe. I would have been interested in seeing a better demonstration by people who actually can/do do a varied workout on it. For example, pivoting forward/backward and side to side. If it can do that, I can see a good number of gyms buying those things, since they appear to be fairly durable and probably not too expensive.

And I totally agree with all the Simple Sugars lovers. My mother-in-law lives in Pittsburgh where it is very easy to get in stores, and she is kind enough to bring me some regularly :)

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 1

Absolutely. And by the end of their segment, I was thinking of their product as in a sort of "Medical Supplies" catagory.