Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Among Us Hide...

• Start Topic

Wow, Andrew really is Lash. Everyone that called it, give yourself a pat on the back.

Poor May. Loved seeing her and Bobbi work together though.

While I'm pissed that the promos blantantly LIED about Andrew being killed off, I'll forgive it if Ward dies in the winter finale.

• Love 4

Congrats to everybody who called Andrew being Lash. To be fair, the show did lay the breadcrumbs, so it's not out of their ass. It only really became obvious when he asked about Lincoln. Glad Blair Underwood will be staying on the show, but the hits keep on coming for May.

In lighter news, Hunter's awesome.

• Love 4

Ha!  Lesson learned in first minute of the episode:  never, *ever* trust the promo monkeys.  They clearly have no idea what's going on in any given episode.  Given that Andrew was declared alive in the very first scene of the episode (something I was quite surprised that they didn't draw out!), it seems unlikely that declaring him dead in the promo we got last week wast a deliberate attempt at subterfuge.  It was just sloppy work.  ABC needs to do something about that.

Loved the reveal of Andrew as Lash.  Even though it wasn't a surprise since many people here were already speculating that that might be the case, I still gasped out loud.  I had a feeling it might go that way after they tried to throw us off by having Daisy and Mack suspect someone within the ATCU.  I also noticed the way Andrew questioned Daisy about what she saw when she saw Lash transform back into his human form.  Can't wait to see where this goes!

I can't decide how I feel about what's going on with Hunter right now.  I can see both sides of the question of whether or not Hunter is at least in part to blame for putting Andrew in danger.  On one hand, I think it's definitely true that once Ward activated the detail he had on Andrew, it no longer mattered what Hunter did.  Whether he shot Ward or not, Ward was still likely to tell his men to take out Andrew.  On the other hand, Andrew became a casualty due to a half-assed plan of Hunter's to take out Ward that was had zero plan to actually work.  And in that sense, yes Hunter did put Andrew in danger due to his recklessness and Hunter's plan was never worth that risk.  So Coulson was probably right to take Hunter off Ward's case.  He's too reckless to lead an op against Ward (or possibly any op at all).  Obviously all of that is moot since Andrew's Inhuman status meant he was never in real danger, but that doesn't make Hunter's carelessness any better.

• Love 3

Good job those who called Andrew.

This episode managed to advance several strands a few inches.  I would have liked more continuity to the stranded astronaut plot now that it's been introduced.  I don't think Fitz is the sort to leave him stranded for love triangle reasons, and I would have preferred that it wasn't brought up.  I am glad that the situation is openly known to everyone now.

Interesting call back between Andrew and Jemma and their previous conversation.

The inhuman prison is hard to rationalize, prospective 'cure' or not.

• Love 3

I was right... I didn't want to be though. I really don't like that he is Lash. He seemed like a nice guy, why would he kill inhumans. Also I guess he left Daisy alone because he may like her as a person and more importantly she means a lot to May.

I liked Hunter in this episode. It was nice to see him have scenes with Mac and Daisy because that was a change of pace. Also it's hard to say how Coulson really feels about what they are doing, since as a spy he wouldn't let his true feelings out. Daisy (and well all of them) should have known that when they were watching him.

Bobbi kicking ass was great! And I liked that Fitz did what I would have thought to do, which is look up Will. It looked like he was a least a real person.

• Love 3

Congrats to everybody who called Andrew being Lash. To be fair, the show did lay the breadcrumbs, so it's not out of their ass. It only really became obvious when he asked about Lincoln. Glad Blair Underwood will be staying on the show, but the hits keep on coming for May.

In lighter news, Hunter's awesome.

though not the most subtle. And I echo the congrats to those who called Andrew = Lash

" . . . the Inhumans!"

For those who figured Andrew was Lash . .  give yourself a round of applause. I admit, I didn't think it would be possible, but  I was wrong. And man, that secret is barely in the lead amongst all the concealing going on. I know SHIELD and the ACTU are spy organizations, but damn.

Anybody else like Snarky May speaking Mandarin? Nice chemistry with Bobbi. And neither one of them killed Hunter, so they got that going for them as well.

• Love 4

Andrew Lash, good calls everyone.

I'm pretty sympathetic to the ATCU's storage facility, if one condition applies:  did the people in the boxes consent to it?  I could definitely see the less-human looking Inhumans, or the ones with debilitating abilities saying "yes please" if it gives them a chance to return to their normal lives.  Also, "we're very close to a cure" sounds suspiciously like the plot from X3, if ATCU weaponizes the cure.

Regarding the "we'll get Will back" plot:  I wanted to punch Hunter in the throat for his fly-the-ex-in-from-Phoenix analogy.  I mean, really?  Not even remotely the same situation you callous bastard.  A man has been trapped on another planet for 14 years and you're suggesting that they don't try to rescue him?  Fuck off.

Sadly, the "fuck off" above should be directed at the writers, because Simmons also had a similar reaction, thinking that Fitz would be uncomfortable with trying to rescue the guy because she developed feelings for him.  Way to think so little of your friend's humanity.  Made me hate her a little bit.

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 12

The inhuman prison is hard to rationalize, prospective 'cure' or not.

I'll have to go back and watch that scene again, but I thought those people were being held in stasis voluntarily. I don't think the ATCU would lock up someone like Daisy or Lincoln who had things under control. I may be wrong, and my feelings won't be hurt if so, but that's the impression I got.

So Andrew's Lash, okey dokey.

Let's all hate Hunter for not putting the life of Andrew over the lives of many.  What the heck, nobody backs Hunter?  His decision decreased the number of weapons Ward would have, therefore saving lives.  I can understand May being mad, and maybe Daisy due to her being closer to Andrew than the rest of the team, but everyone else, makes no sense.  Also had to love people including May getting mad at Hunter for the vengeance quest, but there's no problem with May going on a vengeance quest.

• Love 13

So the Andrew=Lash people were correct (good job to those who called it).  I'm not surprised, but I hope this doesn't mean Andrew is really a bad guy ... I want an explanation!  Poor May.

As usual, I enjoyed the Coulson and Ros scenes.  Though I wouldn't put it past her to set up a fake break-in in a fake apartment, I would prefer that the situation was genuine, especially with Coulson believing it was faked.  It makes an interesting match with Mac and Daisy suspecting somebody on ATCU's side of being Lash with the truth being that he's somebody on *their* side.  But I'm not so sure that putting the inhumans in a cryogenic gel (or whatever) to keep them safe is the end of the story.  I like SHIELD and ATCU being uneasy allies, so I don't want them to be too good or too bad either.

From the articles on Will that Fitz found, we know that there was a real Will ... and that he looks the same as the pictures (presumably from 2001 or before).

• Love 2

I thought stasis was non-optional for the ATCU detainees.  If it is by choice, then that's a different story.  I agree mac123x, the cure talk is X3-like.

Hunter is entertaining when he doesn't know what to do with himself.  He wasn't wrong to choose the many over the few, though.  I see Andrew did have guards at the store.

It'll be interesting to hear his rationale.  They are keeping the characters on a fine balance - any of them could go good or go bad.

• Love 4

Forward momentum in the plot! I like it! Another! 

Great call, people who predicted Lash = Andrew. I am kind of sad though. I liked Andrew. I am very curious to see what his motivations are. 

Bobbi is back to kicking ass and being awesome. Not that Bobbi isn't always awesome, I just love her batons so much. 

Some interesting moral questions being raised here. Was Hunter right to weigh the needs of the many, over the needs of the few? Was he being selfish? I would think a few more of the crew would side with Hunter. I mean, they don't seem too mad at him, so I guess they don't think his call was so bad, after all, they have been forced to make some hard calls before. 

I am going to need more information on the Inhuman storage facility. On the one hand, I can see what they are saying, about people with new, potentially dangerous powers needing to be helped so they don't become a danger to themselves and others. However, I feel like there HAS to be a better way than putting people (against their will?) into a medically induced coma, and sticking them in storage. And what about people like Daisy and Lincoln, who pretty much have their powers under control? Are they going to end up in cold storage as well? They might have good intentions, but I feel like this is not going to end well at all. 

Not much to say about the FittsSimmons stuff. Still making me weep over lost potential. Fitz just looks miserable though. Guy needs a vacation, or to hit a bar or a museum or whatever constitutes a good day for him. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

I'm pretty sympathetic to the ATCU's storage facility, if one condition applies:  did the people in the boxes consent to it?  I could definitely see the less-human looking Inhumans, or the ones with debilitating abilities saying "yes please" if it gives them a chance to return to their normal lives.  Also, "we're very close to a cure" sounds suspiciously like the plot from X3, if ATCU weaponizes the cure.

You know I can think that there are Inhumans that probably do want to be stasis until they find a cure or treatment; like Raina or even that Joey guy when they first became Inhumans. Overall,  I was expecting that the ATCU place would be something along the lines of what happened in Season 2 with Hydra experimenting on them (like performing vivisections), so that was a twist (and I am thinking that we will probably find more twits about the ATCU). 

Also, for some reason that giant mobile crane arm, at the ATCU HQ, reminded of  Half-Life for some reason. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Regarding the "we'll get Will back" plot:  I wanted to punch Hunter in the throat for his fly-the-ex-in-from-Phoenix analogy.  I mean, really?  Not even remotely the same situation you callous bastard.  A man has been trapped on another planet for 14 years and you're suggesting that they don't try to rescue him?  Fuck off.

Yeah, so I like how they did the reveal of the storage facility, with enough details in there that I do have some sympathy for them. Or at least I can see where they're coming from, assuming that being in stasis is voluntary. What I thought was very interesting was the opposite approach that SHIELD/ATCU is taking with the Inhumans. The ATCU wants to cure the people and get them back to their original lives. But SHIELD wants them to start brand new lives (as Daisy Johnson's Team Superfriends). Daisy even told Joey that he could never see his friends and family again. Idk, given the choice between having to start my life over or being put in stasis until I could get back to it, I don't know if I'd be so quick to cast my friends and family aside.

Also agree that Hunter's comment was pretty callous. The guy isn't just a rival for Simmons' affections. He's a human being who's been stranded on a planet, hunted by a monster for 14 years.

Also really liking the Coulson / Rosalind dynamic. Having her as a foil to him is definitely fun to watch, and it's nice to see him interact with someone who's got such a similar perspective (long time spy and leader of this covert organization). I definitely don't totally trust her, but she's added an interesting element to the show.

Also liking May and Bobbi teaming up. I can't believe we've seen so little of them because both action-wise and personality-wise I think they mesh well.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 4

I was right... I didn't want to be though. I really don't like that he is Lash. He seemed like a nice guy, why would he kill inhumans. Also I guess he left Daisy alone because he may like her as a person and more importantly she means a lot to May.

Maybe he spared Daisy not for sentimental reasons, but because she's been cleared and has agreed to work for SHIELD.  As far as we know, he hasn't tried to target any of the Inhumans that have been taken into SHIELD custody, nor does he appear to be after the Inhumans that the ATCU has apprehended.  Maybe he thinks Inhumans are too dangerous to live in the general population and that's why he's targeting Inhumans who live among the human population.  And in some cases, he's not entirely wrong.  We've seen at least two Inhumans (Joey and Lincoln) kill people by accident.  

Sadly, the "fuck off" above should be directed at the writers, because Simmons also had a similar reaction, thinking that Fitz would be uncomfortable with trying to rescue the guy because she developed feelings for him.  Way to think so little of your friend's humanity.  Made me hate her a little bit.

Who says Fitz isn't uncomfortable with it or that it would be wrong for him to feel that way?  I think the beauty of Fitz is that he probably does feel some conflict over what his actions might mean for a possible relationship with Simmons, but that he chose to do that right thing anyway.  Simmons and the writers acknowledging that such selflessness might be difficult for Fitz isn't thinking little of him.  It's highlighting the goodness of Fitz's choice.

• Love 5

Well things took a turn.

Still don't trust Rosalind At all. I do however like the dynamic between her and Coulson. I am curious If they are going to make the ATCU a shade of grey like everything else on the show. Bad things/good reasons.& good things/bad reasons.

Mission Ready Chick Fight. Good to see Bobbi back to fight multiple dudes.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

From the articles on Will that Fitz found, we know that there was a real Will ... and that he looks the same as the pictures (presumably from 2001 or before).

I noticed that too but just took it for a cheap production error, but you might be on to something there.  It could be a clue that Will is not Will.  Or the planet is actually from Star Trek 8 where no one ages.  Or the producers think the audience is too stupid to recognize a de-aged photo of the actor.

• Love 4

-So Andrew IS Lash, called it.

-What is it with Marvel Studio's grudge against the Strucker family?  They keep killing them off way too early after barely any screentime.
-I think that more people would be more sympathetic to Hunter if not for the fact that it was his (and his stupid plan’s) fault that they were even in that mess to begin with.  Also his thing about “needs of the many” is nonsense, his motivation from the very beginning was personal vengeance.

• Love 2

Andrew is Lash!  I called that wrong, but at least they did have Banks (my choice) as the fake-out!  But I kind of figured it was heading in that direction when Daisy began talking to Andrew about it, and wondering why Lash didn't kill her.  The way Blair Underwood played that scene just made me think Andrew was hiding something.  But I'm curious about where this is heading.  It doesn't look like Lash is a separate entity or anything.  Andrew seems to be aware about what he is doing and everything.  

Can't ask for more then Melinda and Bobbi teaming up and kicking ass!

Actually kind of felt bad for Hunter.  Everyone was against him for trying to get Ward, Coulson benched him for failing at the task, etc. He was practically pleading to go with Mack/Daisy.  Those three together were great, and I hope Hunter gets back into their good graces soon.  Although he did loose major points for basically saying that Fitz was helping the "competition."  I get he was trying be humorous, but come on, man.  You know damn well this situation is very different.  Will is trapped on another fucking planet.  Any normal human being wouldn't wish that on someone.  Also wasn't a fan of Simmons being all amazed about it either.  Fitz might have had jealously issues in the past, but give him some credit, guys.

Powers Boothe!  Loved seeing him here, even though I remember him playing a World Security Council member in the first Avengers film.  Since it was in the shadows though, it doesn't count!  Can't wait to see more of him: if anyone can knock Ward down a few pegs, it will be him.

Even if I was to take Rosalind at face value, that is still a creepy way to handle Inhumans, especially if they didn't consent.  And despite what he says, I do think Coulson is warming up to her, so I'm not sure is his judgement is solid.  And I'm guessing Daisy seeing all this, is going to put her at odds with him.

A lot of funny moments in this one.  The different types of interactions and the way they mix up the characters, continues to be great.

• Love 2

Powers Boothe!  Loved seeing him here, even though I remember him playing a World Security Council member in the first Avengers film.  Since it was in the shadows though, it doesn't count!  Can't wait to see more of him: if anyone can knock Ward down a few pegs, it will be him.

Hydra is/was everywhere

• Love 5
Who says Fitz isn't uncomfortable with it or that it would be wrong for him to feel that way?  I think the beauty of Fitz is that he probably does feel some conflict over what his actions might mean for a possible relationship with Simmons, but that he chose to do that right thing anyway.  Simmons and the writers acknowledging that such selflessness might be difficult for Fitz isn't thinking little of him.  It's highlighting the goodness of Fitz's choice.

I get what you're saying.  I guess I was just put off by the lack of urgency in this whole story line.  Simmons sits on it for a week before mentioning it, then this episode none of the rest of the team seem to care, except for Hunter and his crass comments about the competition.

• Love 1

I get what you're saying.  I guess I was just put off by the lack of urgency in this whole story line.  Simmons sits on it for a week before mentioning it, then this episode none of the rest of the team seem to care, except for Hunter and his crass comments about the competition.

Is it really a week within the show's own time, though? We just saw Andrew in surgery (and if he wasn't shot then why was he in surgery or what appears to be surgery), so I guess we can assume that it has only been a few hours (at best) within the show's own time. Although, for us, this has been going on for about 4-5 weeks.

Edited by TVSpectator

So the mustache twirling villain from Nashville has made his way to Hydra? Hopefully they will make better use of him here than they did in Music City.

I admit that I had a theory that maybe May was Lash. Crazy, I know! Once Andrew started questioning Daisy about Lincoln and they got interrupted I knew he was the dude putting holes in people. I wonder what his obsession with Lincoln is? Is it just because he's an inhuman? Surely there are others of them running around that he can focus on? Speaking of inhumans... I want to know where the senior citizen inhumans are? Because all the people I know who take fish oil are old. 

Is it wrong that I want Coulson to get some of that? He and Rosalind have great chemistry. 

How many lemons do you think May has to suck to get her face to stay like that? Seriously, could she be anything other than cantankerous?  When she's under cover doesn't count. And by the way, agent May, that kid you're holding in your arms... the one who just revealed that your lover can change into a monster... just died.

They need to pick up the thread with Gemma and Will before I lose interest. 

Ward needs to die. I'm tired of his nonsense.

• Love 1

Andrew being Lash not that surprising. It does look like he only kills the Inhumans trying to live normal lives, hopefully they hurt people for him to go after them. He's leaving Daisy and the one Shield found alive because I guess they don't or can't hurt anyone locked up. 

I love that this show switches up the pairings. Hunter's back to be annoying which I guess was the point of him this episode. However like others have said, rescuing a guy stranded on another planet is not the same as buying your girlfriend a ticket to visit an ex. That comment made me think he never gave one thought about Andrew being a casualty. Andrew was expendable to get what he wanted that's pretty much all he thinks about. I wish someone would've said what if it were Bobbi instead of Andrew, would he have made the same choice. Probably not. 

Loved Bobbi and May out in the field kicking ass. She is right, Coulson babies his agents. Which is why I still have no idea why he's in charge. He still sucks as a leader. I liked that May was vetting Bobbi. 

With Will, he did say he didn't know how much time had passed, so it could be time moves more slowly or it stops you from aging. Or he could be dead and when they go back Jemma will find out she was talking to a ghost or a projection of the monster thing. 

• Love 1

Loved this episode, especially the Lash reveal. I was on Team Lash=Andrew, but only after I'd read the theory here -- it clicked for me and I loved it instantly and hoped they'd do it, but it's not something I would have figured out on my own. So I was super excited when it was true -- not necessarily because it's the best plot choice, but because "OMG we were right!! :D"

Like a few others, my hackles were raised and I was becoming more confident that we were right after they immediately went to whassisname as the red herring, and the way Andrew questioned Daisy. Then in the therapy with Simmons, "we're stronger than they think" oh damn right you are, I know where you're going with this!! And then I remembered that the Strucker kid had been saying "he's a monster" and we thought he was talking about Ward, and in part he was talking about Ward, but maybe there were multiple meanings to that conversation and I need to go back and listen to it again, and oh man I need to go rewatch the entire season so far again with the knowledge that Andrew is Lash all along and see what else jumps out at me.

Phew. Okay. So Rosalind and Phil have a thing. "I keep myself detached" he tells Daisy. Man, you protest too much. She obviously staged the break-in to get sympathy points, but the burgers were flirting. When he dismissed her attempts, she was hurt. "Why would you be doing this for me" "No reason." Meaning "hmm I was hoping to learn more about that laser finger of yours WA-HEY but I guess that was dumb of me." But it's complicated on both sides. Both of them are definitely playing the other. Both of them recognize they're being played. And both of them are actually sort of falling for the other. But can't admit it because then they'd have been played. Unless they're both sincere, in which case it's all good, but how do you know? I can see this going either way... they give in to their passions and maintain a successful secret tryst while running their separate organizations and manage to keep things running well with no conflict of interest. Or, it starts to get in the way and they both start making bad decisions. Or, they give in to their passions but Rosalind in the end was never sincere and was only playing him and SHIELD suffers grave consequences. Or, Coulson in the end was never sincere and was only playing her and the ctcu suffers grave consequences. Or, either one of them played the other, but after the consequences, we see they have a tinge of regret -- they were sincere after all but the job was more important. Or, they maintain their detachment despite the UST all along, and after whatever happens with both organizations, they confess to a "it would have been nice" moment but that's it.

And I'd be totally fine with any of those options, so that's saying something about the caliber of not just the writing, but of the performances.

I'm not sure why folks are complaining that we need to 'get on with' the Will and Gemma storyline. Last week the *entire episode* was about Will and Gemma. There was literally NO progress on any other plot thread, including that rather big one of Andrew being maybe dead. Every other plot thread was PAUSED so we could have this magnificent episode about Simmons' experience on the other planet, and nobody complained at all (for good reason).

Now, we need to get back to the other plot threads. And if this new one is now just one thread of many rather than the Main Thing All the Time, that's how it should be. Every plot thread gets a little extra focus once in awhile, and they all move along in the background too. In this case, Simmons and Fitz have been working on computer simulations to try to figure out how to replicate the effects of the monolith. What else are they supposed to do? And Fitz decides to look a bit into Will -- we don't know yet if he's lying about the simulations not working or if that's sincere (for the sake of my enduring love of Fitz, it had better be sincere, and his looking into Will is purely because of sincere concern about his best friend rather than angry curiosity about a rival). Some viewers though that Gemma's return from the other planet (several episodes ago) was too quick and pointless, why show her there if you weren't going to show anything about it, why not stretch it over over a few episodes to build tension -- and now we know why they did it that way. If they're being a little slow about rescuing Will, they have a good reason to do that too. But at any rate, I don't consider "not a lot of forward momentum for ONE WHOLE EPISODE" to even constitute "a little slow" anyway. If they'd solved it in this episode, you know the viewers would be complaining it was wrapped up too fast anyway.

May and Bobbi were lucky none of the bank security knew any Mandarin.

• Love 7

Fitz your friend zone is the equivalent of being on the event horizon of a black hole. You may harbor dreams of escape, but it is just wishful thinking. Friend zones are what they are and Black holes are what they are, there is no escaping either. Being there with a truly awesome woman, one who is truly a cut above most, is the quickest way to the dark side.

With Will, he did say he didn't know how much time had passed, so it could be time moves more slowly or it stops you from aging. 

I doubt time moves more slowly on the Blue Planet than it does on Earth.  If that were the case, I don't think they would have made a point of showing us how many hours passed for Simmons while she was stuck there.  5 months seemed to pass for both Fitz and Simmons despite being across the universe from one another.  The idea that humans might age more slowly on the blue planet might have some weight though.  After all, we all know that sun damage is the leading factor for the way our appearance ages, and Will's been stuck on a planet that only sees sunlight every 18 years.  I would think living in the dark for 14 years probably would lead to someone looking younger longer.  Especially since Will also didn't have access to other aging vices like alcohol or cigarettes.

Edited by xqueenfrostine

I doubt time moves more slowly on the Blue Planet than it does on Earth.  If that were the case, I don't think they would have made a point of showing us how many hours passed for Simmons while she was stuck there.  5 months seemed to pass for both Fitz and Simmons despite being across the universe from one another.  The idea that humans might age more slowly on the blue planet might have some weight though.  After all, we all know that sun damage is the leading factor for the way our appearance ages, and Will's been stuck on a planet that only sees sunlight every 18 years.  I would think living in the dark for 14 years probably would lead to someone looking younger longer.  Especially since Will also didn't have access to other aging vices like alcohol or cigarettes.

I still have a theory that Will and Jemma were on Ego and that bringing him back will probably lead to some disaster for S.H.I.E.L.D. and the rest of Earth, but Will himself will probably  turn out to be a good guy, in the end. Although, I kind of was thinking that Will could be from another universe since he seem to not know what S.H.I.E.L.D was/is and I think that it's been pretty much established that the general public knows that it does exists or existed (and I have no idea if that was because of what happened when Hydra tried to take over it, but if it taken place in the same universe as the movies, then the secret was probably out long ago) . Sort of the way people know that Area 51 is an actual Air Force Base, NSA, MI6, and CIA are able to exist with us knowing about it. 

Although, I kind of was thinking that Will could be from another universe since he seem to not know what S.H.I.E.L.D was/is and I think that it's been pretty much established that the general public knows that it does exists or existed 

I'm pretty sure Will knew what SHIELD was.  When Jemma told him that the monolith was now with SHIELD instead of with NASA, Will replied back "that's real?  SHIELD?"  implying that he'd heard rumors of SHIELD's existence but wasn't sure they really existed.  If he had flat out never heard of SHIELD, he would have asked what SHIELD was, not state surprise that an organization by that name existed.    Which by the way, is why I'm not convinced by the theory that Will might be a projection of the Blue Planet. If Will were an illusion/projection of the planet, it seems more likely that he would have pretended to know about the existence of SHIELD *or* say he'd never heard of it.  Stating that he'd only heard rumors of SHIELD's existence seems too much like a real response coming from someone's actual knowledge from their experience on Earth to be fake.

As for how common knowledge the existence of SHIELD was, just because it was known in the late '00s doesn't mean its existence was confirmed fact in 2001.  The NSA was able to operate for years before its existence was known by the general public.

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 3

Andrew as Lash. That's actually pretty clever for this show. Good on them.

I suppose, given this show's track record, I shouldn't be surprised that Coulson didn't bring up the whole "putting people in cryonic suspension without their consent" thing (see, season 1 and killing innocent security guards in a top secret facility because their lives were less important than Skye's, etc.)

Edited by Cthulhudrew

I'm pretty sure Will knew what SHIELD was.  When Jemma told him that the monolith was now with SHIELD instead of with NASA, Will replied back "that's real?  SHIELD?"  implying that he'd heard rumors of SHIELD's existence but wasn't sure they really existed.  If he had flat out never heard of SHIELD, he would have asked what SHIELD was, not state surprise that an organization by that name existed.    Which by the way, is why I'm not convinced by the theory that Will might be a projection of the Blue Planet. If Will were an illusion/projection of the planet, it seems more likely that he would have pretended to know about the existence of SHIELD *or* say he'd never heard of it.  Stating that he'd only heard rumors of SHIELD's existence seems too much like a real response coming from someone's actual knowledge from their experience on Earth to be fake.

As for how common knowledge the existence of SHIELD was, just because it was known in the late '00s doesn't mean its existence was confirmed fact in 2001.  The NSA was able to operate for years before its existence was known by the general public.

Okay, for some reason I thought that Will didn't know what SHIELD is/was. I can also see that the general public could've heard rumors about it existence but for some reason I was thinking of the movie Winter Solider and how (from what I remember) was the news going off saying that SHIELD's HQ and Hyrda going at it in public. 

I suppose, given this show's track record, I shouldn't be surprised that Coulson didn't bring up the whole "putting people in cryonic suspension without their consent" thing (see, season 1 and killing innocent security guards in a top secret facility because their lives were less important than Skye's, etc.)

Yeah, they did do something similar with their prisoners and also for some Inhumans. Which is one of the reasons why they hate SHIELD so much. 

Edited by TVSpectator

When did Andrew become Lash? He can't have been Lash all along, for years and years - that would be awful storytelling creating a million loose ends.

At what point did the real Andrew get replaced?

there is no replacement, he got exposed to terrigen and his inhuman powers manifested.

• Love 4

When did Andrew become Lash? He can't have been Lash all along, for years and years - that would be awful storytelling creating a million loose ends.

What do you mean for years and years?  The attacks from Lash started at some point in the past 6 months since the terrigen crystals were knocked into the ocean.  At no point has the show established that Lash has been around for longer than that.  I think it's implied that Andrew was exposed to the terrigen compound during his time in Hawaii with May, and that that's why he disappeared on her while they were there together.

Okay, for some reason I thought that Will didn't know what SHIELD is/was. I can also see that the general public could've heard rumors about it existence but for some reason I was thinking of the movie Winter Solider and how (from what I remember) was the news going off saying that SHIELD's HQ and Hyrda going at it in public. 

SHIELD's existence was definitely common knowledge in Winter Soldier, but at least as far back as the first Iron Man movie its existence seems to have been somewhat clandestine.  Pepper appeared to be unfamiliar with the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division (remember how it was a running joke between Coulson and Pepper that his organization needed a name that was easier to remember?)  when Coulson approached her, and in Thor Jane and Darcy had no idea who was confiscating their research.  Dr. Selvig had only heard about them through a story from a colleague who had also had his research confiscated, which suggests that the organization was still pretty hush hush at the time.    

Presumably it was only after the Battle for New York that SHIELD became a household name, and the Battle for New York definitely happened after Will became stranded on the blue planet.    

• Love 5
What do you mean for years and years?

I mean he can't have been Lash for years and years.

Nowhere in the series has it been explicitly stated that Andrew was exposed to the Terrigen Mist - correct? Before it was let loose in the biosphere, how exactly was he exposed? I remember Daisy and Raina going through hell and high water, just to be exposed accidentally in some buried alien whatsit chamber. And every Inhuman seems to need training once they've transformed - who trained Andrew? And he knew Lincoln was on SHIELD's radar - so why hunt Lincoln at all when it would put Andrew at odds with SHIELD? The same way he's not hunting Daisy?

It's a cute reveal, but like I said: lots of untidy loose ends and retconning are in the viewer's future...

It was a tight episode otherwise BTW, one of the more enjoyable ones.

Maybe he spared Daisy not for sentimental reasons, but because she's been cleared and has agreed to work for SHIELD.  As far as we know, he hasn't tried to target any of the Inhumans that have been taken into SHIELD custody, nor does he appear to be after the Inhumans that the ATCU has apprehended.  Maybe he thinks Inhumans are too dangerous to live in the general population and that's why he's targeting Inhumans who live among the human population.  And in some cases, he's not entirely wrong.  We've seen at least two Inhumans (Joey and Lincoln) kill people by accident.  

My thought is that if you accept being categorized and put on the index Lash will think you are not a threat to be eliminated. Thus Andrew's stare at Alicia after finding out she was working with SHIELD

Edited by Raja
  • Love 3

Nowhere in the series has it been explicitly stated that Andrew was exposed to the Terrigen Mist - correct? Before it was let loose in the biosphere, how exactly was he exposed? I remember Daisy and Raina going through hell and high water, just to be exposed accidentally in some buried alien whatsit chamber. And every Inhuman seems to need training once they've transformed - who trained Andrew? And he knew Lincoln was on SHIELD's radar - so why hunt Lincoln at all when it would put Andrew at odds with SHIELD? The same way he's not hunting Daisy?

It's a cute reveal, but like I said: lots of untidy loose ends and retconning are in the viewer's future...

It was a tight episode otherwise BTW, one of the more enjoyable ones.

Only a few were exposed to the Terrigen mist. Last season in the battle between the Afterlife colony of Inhumans and the SHIELD forces on the aircraft carrier crystals of Terrigen dropped into the ocean and entered the eco system with this batch of Inhumans emerging after taking contaminated fish oil tablets. Meanwhile an onscreen computer projection theorized that the entire ecosystem will have exposure in 17 months. So my guess seafood first and then any meal in the later stage can cause the transformation

• Love 1

I still don't get what your objection here is.  No, it hasn't been established that Andrew was exposed to the terrigen mists, but that hasn't been necessary since the ocean became contaminated by the terrigen crystals.  If Andrew wasn't contaminated by the supplements like everyone else that was turned since the end of last season, it's possible that eating a contaminated fish itself could spark the change (and I don't know about you, but I'd be eating lots of fish if I was on vacation in Hawaii!).  We do know from episode the Devils You Know that Andrew left May while in Hawaii with no explanation, and that May could not reach him by phone, email, or text for weeks afterward.  She said the he "fell off the face of the Earth."  This could have been when he changed and developed control over his powers.

As for training, that may not be really required.  Inhumans can use their powers from the minute they leave their cocoons.  We've seen Daisy, Gordon and Joey all use their powers without any training. *  The training is to heighten their control and to just help them adjust emotionally to their change.  But I would imagine that how much training is necessary (if even any training is needed at all), varies from individual to individual based on what their power is, what they want to use their powers to do and what their frame of mind is after the change.  I don't think it's a given based on what we already know that Andrew would have needed training to be Lash.  And he certainly wouldn't have needed to be Lash for years and years in order to be Lash now.

As for Lincoln and Daisy, Lincoln refused to join SHIELD.  That alone separates him from Daisy.  We don't what Andrew's motives are yet, but I see no plot hole here.  As I said earlier in the topic, Andrew seems to be targeting Inhumans who aren't under SHIELD or the ATCU's control.  Lincoln might have been on SHIELD's radar, but he wasn't under their control (like Joey) or working for them (like Daisy).

*Katya, the monster child May killed in Bahrain, seems to be another Inhuman who likely was able to use her powers without training.  Or at least I assume she did, as I doubt her mother taught her to kill others and/or take over their minds.

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 6

I smell a rat on a cure. This transformation is done by a process from a advanced  race involving complete genetic restructuring. Simmons never even considered a cure for Daisy. Now maybe Dr Banner is on the case but I doubt it and Banner can't even cure himself. Complete genetic restructuring is way above our technology it's even way above the technology of the clearly higher technology Marvel world. (Thanks to having alien technology found, and exposure to allen beings, plus the super scientists of a super hero world)

Coulson of course is not going to object right there, I'm sure he will want more conformation that the people are only in status. And Coulson might let them stay there as SHIElD is not back to accepted status in the US. With all the extra assets and personal shown this episode I would think SHIELD is receiving some international government support after the major rescue in Advengers 2 along with the known support for SHIELD the Advengers have given, along with Stark money. 

Edited by Rocket

-I think that more people would be more sympathetic to Hunter if not for the fact that it was his (and his stupid plan’s) fault that they were even in that mess to begin with.  Also his thing about “needs of the many” is nonsense, his motivation from the very beginning was personal vengeance.

But it's not his fault what happened to Andrew, though.  Ward put the Strucker kid on Andrew before Hunter got in.  Ward was always going to try to kill Andrew no matter what, if it had been the entire team after him, he would have made the threat right then.  Ward had marked Andrew for death long before coming face to face with Hunter and May.

Hunter was thinking about the needs of the many, by not letting Ward get away with everything.  Yeah it was vengeance that caused him to go after Ward, but he did think clearly when Andrew was threatened.

Ward is the only one to blame for what happened.

• Love 12

I smell a rat on a cure. This transformation is done by a process from a advanced  race involving complete genetic restructuring. Simmons never even considered a cure for Daisy. Now maybe Dr Banner is on the case but I doubt it and Banner can't even cure himself. Complete genetic restructuring is way above our technology it's even way above the technology of the clearly higher technology Marvel world. (Thanks to having alien technology found, and exposure to allen beings, plus the super scientists of a super hero world)

Coulson of course is not going to object right there, I'm sure he will want more conformation that the people are only in status. And Coulson might let them stay there as SHIElD is not back to accepted status in the US. With all the extra assets and personal shown this episode I would think SHIELD is receiving some international government support after the major rescue in Advengers 2 along with the known support for SHIELD the Advengers have given, along with Stark money. 

There is no cure and I don't know if the ATCU has stumbled on the word "Inhumans" maybe a SHIELD agent in their loose alliance will let it slip or Daisy will blurt it out to protect her people. Or if they know to look for an alien marker in their DNA.  Coulson kept using the "enhanced" catch phrase when in their presence. But the ACTU and US government are not willing to go to the final solution so they at least hold out the hope that the human/Inhuman can be returned to the former selves in the future if enough science is applied.

If the ATCU's projections are like SHIELD's and they know of the environmental contamination the mausoleum in stasis storage is about the only way they can keep the Inhumans as interment camps won't politically fly, until the secret coffins are exposed

Edited by Raja

I still don't get what your objection here is.  No, it hasn't been established that Andrew was exposed to the terrigen mists, but that hasn't been necessary since the ocean became contaminated by the terrigen crystals.  If Andrew wasn't contaminated by the supplements like everyone else that was turned since the end of last season, it's possible that eating a contaminated fish itself could spark the change (and I don't know about you, but I'd be eating lots of fish if I was on vacation in Hawaii!).

There actually was a line in 3x01 where either Coulson or Daisy say that even after pulling fish oil capsules from the market, there is still terrigen in the environment and can be ingested by eating other fish, etc.

• Love 1

Good episode!  I was spoiled on Andrew being Lash but still think it's a great storyline twist.  I liked the way Blair Underwood played his scenes and look forward to seeing this storyline play out further.  I'm also glad they didn't wait forever to reveal it.

Glad to have May return and actually acting...gasp, happy and personable in the field.  She and Bobbi make a great team.

Hunter did go after Ward for revenge and that clouded his judgement but he was right to take that shot at him.  Hunter suggesting not to rescue Will though was wrong.  Though good on Fitz for doing a background check there.

Werner Von Strucker turned out to be as disappointing and useless as his father.

Speaking of which, more of Lincoln being boring and not coming back to Shield.  Is that really all he can contribute to the show?

I have my doubts whether the Inhumans agreed to be put into suspended animation but Coulson and Rosalind continues to remain good.

I have my doubts whether the Inhumans agreed to be put into suspended animation but Coulson and Rosalind continues to remain good.

My guess they agreed to be treated, perhaps experimental treatment after a sudden unimaginable change. We have to assume most were like Skye and had no ideal of Inhumans and relatively few like Raina and knew of something of the Inhumans, And virtually no Lincoln's who had actual contact with the Inhuman society. Perhaps if the fish oil secret got out those Inhuman's who were not selected for the terrigenesis  are now eating seafood and trying to find fish oil that missed the covertly applied product recall