Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Among Us Hide...

• Start Topic

I loved that Coulson was guarded and spy-like and then for two seconds was all "Holy cow!" when he saw the autographed bat.  Heh. It's the little things that make a great character.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 9

Why doesn't Dr. Banner invent stretchy clothes for morphing mutants?

if I recall correctly from my long ago comic reading days, Reed Richards from the Fantastic Four invented the "unstable molecules" that Marvel comic book heroes wear.  (Or maybe it was The Beast, whatever)  That would mean that the "inventor" isn't owned by the MCU.  Of course Hulk did have those stretchy pants in Avengers 2 so maybe FitzSimmons came up with that super stretchie material.

I'll have to go back and watch that scene again, but I thought those people were being held in stasis voluntarily. I don't think the ATCU would lock up someone like Daisy or Lincoln who had things under control....

Don't know. The ATCU was after both of them- and are still chasing Lincoln. In fact, if the ATCU had held a different approach, they might have actually caught Lincoln rather than allowed him to become a fugitive. I wouldn't put it past Coulson, in consideration of all of his known and unknown goals, to give any Inhuman up to the ATCU to move his pieces forward on the game board. It probably wouldn't be his first choice, or something he considers a permanent play, but he'd do it if he felt he needed to. At this point, I can even see the black gloved hand of Coulson sacrificing Daisy on a short term gambit. And it would probably get him exactly what he wants because no one would expect it.

Let's all hate Hunter for not putting the life of Andrew over the lives of many.  What the heck, nobody backs Hunter?... 

:::;raises hand:::: Me? I'm on team Hunter all the way. (more below)

So the Andrew=Lash people were correct (good job to those who called it).  

As usual, I enjoyed the Coulson and Ros scenes. .. I like SHIELD and ATCU being uneasy allies, so I don't want them to be too good or too bad either.

From the articles on Will that Fitz found, we know that there was a real Will ... and that he looks the same as the pictures (presumably from 2001 or before).

"As usual, I enjoyed the Coulson and Ros scenes...." ITA to all of this.

Yep- I haven't re-watched yet- can anyone read the content of the articles? I'm wondering if Fitz found an obituary. Not that an obit would really clear things up- tPtB would have tried to cover Will's disappearance, but... maybe? 

Forward momentum in the plot! I like it! Another! 

Great call, people who predicted Lash = Andrew. I am kind of sad though. I liked Andrew. I am very curious to see what his motivations are. 

I am going to need more information on the Inhuman storage facility. On the one hand, I can see what they are saying, about people with new, potentially dangerous powers needing to be helped so they don't become a danger to themselves and others. However, I feel like there HAS to be a better way than putting people (against their will?) into a medically induced coma, and sticking them in storage. And what about people like Daisy and Lincoln, who pretty much have their powers under control? Are they going to end up in cold storage as well? They might have good intentions, but I feel like this is not going to end well at all. 

To all those that called Andrew--- KUDOS!

ATCU did try to take Daisy earlier but- seemingly- were only dissuaded when Coulson offered to join forces. I have a bad feeling that, as magnanimous as Rosalind appeared within the facility, she's been tasked with solving this problem and the will or desires of the "problem"s are not high on her priority list.

...Actually kind of felt bad for Hunter.  Everyone was against him for trying to get Ward, Coulson benched him for failing at the task, etc. He was practically pleading to go with Mack/Daisy.  Those three together were great, and I hope Hunter gets back into their good graces soon.  Although he did loose major points for basically saying that Fitz was helping the "competition." ...

Even if I was to take Rosalind at face value, that is still a creepy way to handle Inhumans, especially if they didn't consent.  And despite what he says, I do think Coulson is warming up to her, so I'm not sure is his judgement is solid.  And I'm guessing Daisy seeing all this, is going to put her at odds with him...

Love Hunter and SO GLAD his hair is back to normal instead of the plastered down gob look he was sporting undercover.

He's an immature ass- but an immature ass that is really good at his job, noble, and loves/values his friends above all else. Agree with other posters that felt his only failing with Ward was insisting on going in w/o backup in the first place, not his decision to fire on Ward after Andrew was threatened.

It'll be interesting to see how Daisy approaches Coulson about the ATCU's containment plan. Will she come at him directly or will she try to get him to divulge what he knows and what he plans to do about it w/o showing her hand? Will Mac confront Coulson about it? Does Mac agree with the ATCU? Interesting areas to explore...

... [Andrew as Lash] He seemed like a nice guy, why would he kill inhumans. Also I guess he left Daisy alone because he may like her as a person and more importantly she means a lot to May.

... It does look like he only kills the Inhumans trying to live normal lives, hopefully they hurt people for him to go after them. He's leaving Daisy and the one Shield found alive because I guess they don't or can't hurt anyone locked up. 

Didn't Frye say he believed Lash was doing good because he was releasing/freeing Inhumans? The two red shirts that were expended earlier in the season, when meeting Alisha, didn't appear to be out of control or hurting anyone.

And, as far as why Andrew's not going after those within SHIELD-

a. he kinda needs Daisy to keep finding targets/ intel for him and

b. he's looking for targets of opportunity. Those locked up within SHIELD or the ATCU aren't exactly easy to reach.

I do believe Andrew will go after Daisy when he feels he needs to. And it'll be because he's convinced himself he's doing a good/merciful thing for her.

Edited by Tarasme
  • Love 2

Part of me was proud for guessing that Andrew was Lash, but then I kind of felt bad for May. Because I was thinking that if he DID turn out to be Lash, they'd do it like the Hulk, where he couldn't control himself. Then they could just figure out a way to keep him from changing and Andrew could be redeemed. Unfortunately, from the way Blair Underwood was playing that last scene with Daisy, Andrew is clearly in control of both personalities. Oh well. Sorry, May!

Speaking of May, after this episode, can we put the kibosh on that proposed Hunter/Bobbie spinoff and instead make one with Bobbie and May running around being fabulous and having awesome adventures? They were great together! The entire scene in the bank with May grousing in Mandarin while Bobbie attempted to maintain control of the rapidly degenerating situation was terrific! And having an entire fight scene out in broad daylight so we can actually see the action? Yay! Let's have more outdoor scenes, since then we don't have to worry about the lighting director trying to be moody and can actually see what we're looking at!

I have to admit, though, I never considered that the Inhumans the ATCU were locking up in those horrifying cubes would have volunteered for such a thing. I was with Daisy, immediately being disgusted by the situation and upset that Coulson wasn't looking more freaked out. I mean, I know he had to put on a face for Rosalind, but come on… This makes me wonder if next episode we'll have a scene where Daisy confronts Coulson for not being more horrified by what the ATCU is doing and he explains that the Boxed Inhumans consented to it. Because if they didn't, well… that's not cool.

Edited by Wootini
  • Love 1

Part of me was proud for guessing that Andrew was Lash, but then I kind of felt bad for May. Because I was thinking that if he DID turn out to be Lash, they'd do it like the Hulk, where he couldn't control himself. Then they could just figure out a way to keep him from changing and Andrew could be redeemed. Unfortunately, from the way Blair Underwood was playing that last scene with Daisy, Andrew is clearly in control of both personalities. Oh well. Sorry, May!

Speaking of May, after this episode, can we put the kibosh on that proposed Hunter/Bobbie spinoff and instead make one with Bobbie and May running around being fabulous and having awesome adventures? They were great together! The entire scene in the bank with May grousing in Mandarin while Bobbie attempted to maintain control of the rapidly degenerating situation was terrific!

Yeah I also thought that they would do Andrew = Lash as a "he can't control himself" thing, and the fact that it seems like he can adds an interesting aspect. Too bad that also means that he's probably dead by the end of the season.

Also, agree that I would much rather see a Bobbi + May spinoff than a Hunter + Bobbi spinoff. I'm just not that into their romantic relationship, and I think that the two of them together is when I like their characters the least. Bobbi and May on the other hand would be amazing.

• Love 2

My problem with this show is the lack of focus and too many plots going on at the same time.  We've got the Inhumans, the return of Hydra, the monolith, and the ACTU rivalry.  The show keeps lurching from one to the other, to the point where I keep forgetting where we're at with each plot.  The Inhuman story SHOULD be front and center, but we keep getting sidetracked.  I'd forgotten that Andrew was attacked and that Lincoln was on the run (I remember the Lash part, though--good and scary!)

Last week's episode with Gemma was great.  It focused on one really interesting story and I got totally involved with it.  It was disappointing to see the show return "to normal" this week, where that interesting story was just tossed back into the mix of ongoing plots.  I kind of miss the earlier days of this show, where the team was all working together on the same mission.  Now, we're just getting ping-ponged all over the place.

• Love 5

It'll be interesting to see how Daisy approaches Coulson about the ATCU's containment plan. Will she come at him directly or will she try to get him to divulge what he knows and what he plans to do about it w/o showing her hand? Will Mac confront Coulson about it? Does Mac agree with the ATCU? Interesting areas to explore...

I have to admit, though, I never considered that the Inhumans the ATCU were locking up in those horrifying cubes would have volunteered for such a thing. I was with Daisy, immediately being disgusted by the situation and upset that Coulson wasn't looking more freaked out. I mean, I know he had to put on a face for Rosalind, but come on… This makes me wonder if next episode we'll have a scene where Daisy confronts Coulson for not being more horrified by what the ATCU is doing and he explains that the Boxed Inhumans consented to it. Because if they didn't, well… that's not cool.

So far this season Daisy knows she has the big stick outside of the Avengers and she is not shy about swinging it. The relationship with her mentor may slow her down but I think she would push forward with the normally forward Mac trying to hold her back

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Hunter was thinking about the needs of the many, by not letting Ward get away with everything.  Yeah it was vengeance that caused him to go after Ward, but he did think clearly when Andrew was threatened.

I agree that it's wrong to blame Hunter for taking that shot because the damage had already been done, but I completely disagree that Hunter was putting the needs of the many over the needs of the few. Hunter has been single-minded to the point of absolute stupidity in his pursuit of taking out Ward, and that wasn't because he considered Ward a dangerous threat that needed to be dealt with so he couldn't hurt anyone else. He wanted to be the one who took Ward out, and he wanted to do it before Bobbi was cleared to return to field work. The fact that his somewhat selfish desire to be the one to kill Ward could protect others is largely irrelevant in his decision making. His impatience betrays his motive, because if he was thinking of the needs of the many, he wouldn't have been in the warehouse that night at all. He would have chosen a slower but smarter strategy to get to Ward, by either working with SHIELD to send an unknown face into HYDRA or delaying the meeting between he and Ward until he knew he could have back up waiting.

• Love 8

I think the only reason Andrew/Lash hasn't hurt Daisy is because she is his best chance to find Lincoln, who may be the one Inhuman who has the "power" to kill Lash with his ability. Once Lincoln is out of the way, Lash will probably turn on Daisy too. Lash and Lincoln seem to share that electricity trait.

• Love 1

I agree that it's wrong to blame Hunter for taking that shot because the damage had already been done, but I completely disagree that Hunter was putting the needs of the many over the needs of the few. Hunter has been single-minded to the point of absolute stupidity in his pursuit of taking out Ward, and that wasn't because he considered Ward a dangerous threat that needed to be dealt with so he couldn't hurt anyone else. He wanted to be the one who took Ward out, and he wanted to do it before Bobbi was cleared to return to field work. The fact that his somewhat selfish desire to be the one to kill Ward could protect others is largely irrelevant in his decision making. His impatience betrays his motive, because if he was thinking of the needs of the many, he wouldn't have been in the warehouse that night at all. He would have chosen a slower but smarter strategy to get to Ward, by either working with SHIELD to send an unknown face into HYDRA or delaying the meeting between he and Ward until he knew he could have back up waiting.

This is a perfect assessment.  He was right to take that shot (I don't see Ward letting Andrew live and he had a shitload of weapons) but he behaved ridiculously reckless during this entire mission (which was basically a suicide mission) and he was only thinking about his revenge.

• Love 1

I think I would've been surprised that Andrew is Lash if I hadn't read the theory on here. Regardless, when I read the theory I really wanted it to be true, so I'm excited.

• Love 1

When did Andrew become Lash? He can't have been Lash all along, for years and years - that would be awful storytelling creating a million loose ends.

At what point did the real Andrew get replaced?

I'm going to assume he transformed while he and May were in Hawaii. I think the timeline fits with the whole fish/fish oil thing, and his wanting to hide his new Inhumanness would explain the sudden implosion of their rekindled romance.

• Love 5

I am way more into Coulson/Rosalind than I probably should be. I know it's not going to end well for them, but I really really want it to. I really liked Daisy's line about how she stole Fitz's new DWARF even though he said it wasn't ready "Because that's stupid and it's awesome." The Mack/Daisy/Hunter pairing was a lot of fun to watch. It was also nice to see Fitz back at doing what he does best (technology/engineering) while also researching Will and the portal on the side. And even though Hunter was kind of a jerk to Fitz this episode, I really do love it when they have scenes together. I hope there's more British bromance between them.

• Love 4

I know people are thinking Will is evil and I think that too, but I also am now thinking that it would be more interesting if Jemma was infected by the evil planet as well. I think it happened right before she made it through the portal. I think real Jemma was living in fear on that planet to explain her PTSD, then it took a week for Ego to gain control of her and that's what triggered the change in her. Now Ego wants to bring Will over too because two infected people are stronger than one. Ego made up that story about Jemma and Will surviving peacefully together because it knows that's the only way to get Fitz to help. It's been studying the Shield people to get that information.

In this episode the brief scenes we got of Jemma she seemed much more confident and assertive than Jemma's ever been before. It's almost like she's playing being Jemma for them. The scene with her and Andrew/Lash was also interesting. They made it look like they were both hiding something. It also kind of goes with what I originally thought when Jemma was taken. I figured they'd make her evil to keep Fitz and her apart. 

• Love 2

JEDIKNIGHT, ON 03 NOV 2015 - 9:11 PM, SAID:

Let's all hate Hunter for not putting the life of Andrew over the lives of many.  What the heck, nobody backs Hunter?...

Torn about this. I understand why May is pissed. At the same time, I believe everyone is familiar with the phrase "we do not negotiate with terrorists." If you reward Ward for taking a hostage, Hydra's gonna take more hostages. If you shoot him for taking a hostage, hostage taking might not appear to be a winning strategy in the future.

On the other hand, successful prisoner exchanges encourage the enemy to not kill your people when captured because they are potential bargaining chips. It depends on who you're dealing with. Ward isn't just a Hydra leader, he's a psychopath who killed his whole family and burned the house down if I'm not mistaken. Things have not gone well for people he has captured - Fitz, Bobbi, Werner to name a few. Agent Hand. One of the Koenings. Taking the shot is probably the right call here.

• Love 5

I know people are thinking Will is evil and I think that too, but I also am now thinking that it would be more interesting if Jemma was infected by the evil planet as well. I think it happened right before she made it through the portal. I think real Jemma was living in fear on that planet to explain her PTSD, then it took a week for Ego to gain control of her and that's what triggered the change in her. Now Ego wants to bring Will over too because two infected people are stronger than one. Ego made up that story about Jemma and Will surviving peacefully together because it knows that's the only way to get Fitz to help. It's been studying the Shield people to get that information.

In this episode the brief scenes we got of Jemma she seemed much more confident and assertive than Jemma's ever been before. It's almost like she's playing being Jemma for them. The scene with her and Andrew/Lash was also interesting. They made it look like they were both hiding something. It also kind of goes with what I originally thought when Jemma was taken. I figured they'd make her evil to keep Fitz and her apart. 

You know, that's interesting. I never considered that returned Jemma wasn't actually Jemma.

Will not Will as described by the story? Definitely. But while I questioned the narration authenticity, it didn't even occur to me to think that the narrator was outright lying and pretending to be the narrator. Or something.

• Love 2

It was just a thought. That would also help the make typical triangle that many of us don't like into something else. 

I know having two team members be not who they seem is a bit much. But they do have a large cast and Jemma was on another planet they wouldn't have done for no reason. I just think it would be more interesting Jemma was more involved in the "Will" story than just being a love interest. 

Edited by Sakura12

Hey, AOS! Thanks for staying fun!

I enjoy tuning in every week to see what our little rapscallions are up to. And I personally enjoy the larger cast and plot weaving. I think it reflects just how chaotic a place like SHIELD would be in its current form. The structures of the past are gone. Inhumans look to be the main concern, but Hydra just won't die, you've got Simmons issues and planet to deal with, and the continually evolving team dynamics. There's just enough interlacing to keep it relevant to the organization as whole.

I'm glad the show doesn't pass up it's opportunity for comic relief. While Avengers 2 got to be a little TOO quip-ey, I appreciate the levity throughout the universe and on this show. Thank you Faverau and Downey for introducing that side of the comics into the fold in an effective way. So Hunter twiddling his thumbs and annoying everyone at base was one of my favorite parts of this episode.

• Love 2

Re: recap

The drone is called a dwarf because waaaay back at the beginning of the season that I'm pretending didn't happen, Fitz's drones that he used to investigate the lab explosion were called the Seven Dwarves.

Edited by ChelseaNH

So I guess there are lots of questions that hopefully get explored in future episodes.  What exactly makes Andrew lash out into Lash?  Is it some kind of adrenaline or anger like what happens to Hulk?  Is it a conscious choice?  Does he know that it is happening?  Is he in control of the Lash personality or is he a little out of control like Hulk?  It was so obvious he was Lash when they kept having him run into people in the hall.  He had these looks which made it seem like he knows exactly what he is doing.  So when did he exactly become bad?  When he ate the fish oil capsules?  Eating the fish oil may have turned him into Lash but it must have affected his personality as well?  And now he's just pretending with May and SHIELD?

I liked the return of butt kicking Bobbi.  And I know that she isn't "Mockingbird" in this show, nor does Hawkeye seem to have any connection with her in this MCU, but I'm hoping one of these days the character can make it into an Avengers movie as Mockingbird.  Always like Hawk and Mock.  Right now I am reading the Hawkeye: Avenging Archer compilation of recent Hawk/Mock stories since she came "back from the dead", and am really enjoying Mockingbird.  On AoS, can they at least make a reference to mockingbirds sometime?

Did Simmons just snap out of her traumatic PTSD after confessing 'everything' to Fitz? And after confirming that Will was an actual person, it seems amoral to consider not notifying next of kin, starting an open investigation into ways of rescuing him, etc. He is an American astronaut, after all. (Tho it could turn out he is not really Will any longer.)

I get that Andrew-Lash is using his connection to SHIELD to find and kill Inhumans, but how is he managing to get to the locations before them without the benefit of a private super-jet? Is teleportation part of his power set? 

The Planet Blue Filter episode, tho problematic, was a nice break from the ping-ponging story lines. Now it feels like we are back to the same old, same old : the Coulson/Rosalind  flirtation/negotiation , different pairs of Agents chasing Ward (with similar results), the continuing search for Inhumans/Lash , a Lincoln appearance to remind us he is a regular cast member, etc.  

The plots are creeping forward, but it feels as if the episodes are just  slight variations of the ones that came before. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha

I'm ok with the stasis until further information because every Inhuman we've seen, including success stories Daisy and Lincoln, only managed their transformation after training with elders. We know Daisy's solution caused physical harm to herself, Lincoln described his early days as extremely painful, and Raina was suicidal. The new Inhumans don't have anyone to help them; they don't even know what is happening to them. I understand Daisy's horrified reaction, but then again she had to call Lincoln to help the guy she got in containment. Where is that guy? What happened to him? Last we heard of him he couldn't touch anything without melting it. I really, really, really like Daisy, but what is her game plan here?

I don't see Hunter's decision last episode as "one vs many". He wasn't sacrificing Andrew to directly save people; that weapons shipment was just one of many Hydra can get. That being said, his decision was practical, if personal: kill Ward no matter what since Ward was likely to have Andrew killed no matter what they did, and also because he really wanted to kill Ward. I agree. I wanted Ward to die. His scenes this episode just halted all momentum because everything on the show right now is more interesting than Ward's story line, and there are a lot of things going on.

• Love 4

My problem with this show is the lack of focus and too many plots going on at the same time. We've got the Inhumans, the return of Hydra, the monolith, and the ACTU rivalry. The show keeps lurching from one to the other, to the point where I keep forgetting where we're at with each plot. The Inhuman story SHOULD be front and center, but we keep getting sidetracked. I'd forgotten that Andrew was attacked and that Lincoln was on the run (I remember the Lash part, though--good and scary!)

Last week's episode with Gemma was great. It focused on one really interesting story and I got totally involved with it. It was disappointing to see the show return "to normal" this week, where that interesting story was just tossed back into the mix of ongoing plots. I kind of miss the earlier days of this show, where the team was all working together on the same mission. Now, we're just getting ping-ponged all over the place.

I think this is a function of the MCU plots and how they are scheduled to move forward. I could see ACTU or the concept of a split being involved in Civil War next year, so they would take prominence now while Inhumans is 4 years away so they can take more time. Monolith/alien planet stuff would tie in with Thor and the Guardians and which are scheduled for 2017. The show is also taking the lead on the Hydra mop-up post-Winter Soldier, so I'd expect that to drive plots.

• Love 1

I can't imagine that Phil is taking Rosalind completely at face value.  At least I hope not.  I recall that in one of the earlier episodes inhuman bodies were on tables being dissected at an ATCU facility where Rosalind and her primary henchman were present.  Now maybe ATCU happened to stumble upon dead inhumans but somehow I doubt it.

• Love 1

I liked the return of butt kicking Bobbi.  And I know that she isn't "Mockingbird" in this show, nor does Hawkeye seem to have any connection with her in this MCU, but I'm hoping one of these days the character can make it into an Avengers movie as Mockingbird.  Always like Hawk and Mock.  Right now I am reading the Hawkeye: Avenging Archer compilation of recent Hawk/Mock stories since she came "back from the dead", and am really enjoying Mockingbird.  On AoS, can they at least make a reference to mockingbirds sometime?

I thought her codename was Mockingbird.  They just seldom used it.  Speaking of codenames, has Daisy been referred to as Quake yet.

I was happy to get confirmation that Andrew was Lash.  Although, I almost bought his story that he was saved by a SHIELD agent.  

Not buying that anyone volunteered to be put in storage until a cure is found.

I feel this ep did Hunter no favors.  First, he's a huge dick for encouraging Fitz to leave Simmons' space boyfriend stranded.  Second, he kinda sucks at everything.  Let's start with strategic thinking.  His big plan for eliminating Ward was to get close enough to shoot him.  What was he going to do about Ward's lackeys?  Also, his combat skills aren't anything spectacular.  At least not compared to May & Bobbi.  His tech skills seem to be non-existent.  On top of that, he makes rash decisions in the field.  I'm guessing the only thing he brings to SHIELD are possible contacts in the underworld.

• Love 1

I can't imagine that Phil is taking Rosalind completely at face value.  At least I hope not.  I recall that in one of the earlier episodes inhuman bodies were on tables being dissected at an ATCU facility where Rosalind and her primary henchman were present.  Now maybe ATCU happened to stumble upon dead inhumans but somehow I doubt it.

They didn't know Lash was out there killing inhumans, they thought Coulson was behind it. So they had access to dead inhumans that they didn't kill themselves.

• Love 1

I love this show for its strong female cast. It does my heart good after watching Gotham relegate women to girlfriend and cannon fodder. I found even vaguely controversial storylines like Simmons and her Spaceman boy toy arent directed at her and more at wanting to get the are they or aren't they answered alreedy which is actually kinda refressing. Nothing I hate more the hating a female character for having feelings you don't approve of. And this show has avoided that for the most part and instead opted for strong females both brains and brawn...heck even super powers. Go show!

I loved the Lash reveal by the way. Did not see that coming. Probably should have because that is the way this show rolls. May just cannot catch a break. Heck and I was worried we would be dealing with mourning her dead husband May. I think this might be worse.

I am thinking Coulson...and Daisy are heading for some terrible horrible no good very bad things pretty soon because there is no way that Rosiland is telling him the whole truth. The spy thing after all. Plus once she finds out that not all the Inhumans became inhuman by fish oil and some did it voluntarily and won't want a cure all bets will be off.

<---Edited for clarity

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

when they made the Lash/Andrew reveal I thought back on Daisy's complaint in the first episodes of the season about how Andrew wasn't approving any of the new Inhuman recruits for action yet.  I then thought to myself that, yeah, why would he approve anyone to help out Daisy when its just that much easier to manage Daisy and the newbies while he's incognito.

I feel this ep did Hunter no favors. First, he's a huge dick for encouraging Fitz to leave Simmons' space boyfriend stranded. Second, he kinda sucks at everything. Let's start with strategic thinking. His big plan for eliminating Ward was to get close enough to shoot him. What was he going to do about Ward's lackeys? Also, his combat skills aren't anything spectacular. At least not compared to May & Bobbi. His tech skills seem to be non-existent. On top of that, he makes rash decisions in the field. I'm guessing the only thing he brings to SHIELD are possible contacts in the underworld.

He is their disgnated killer. While Agent May went out of the field and made a big deal about taking someone out he went in and shot the Fred Dwyer (Rick Hunter) Hydra character in the head with zero remorse and hesitation. With SHIELD being semi outlaw after the Hydra emerging an ex SAS trooper does posses an in demand skill set. Edited by Raja
  • Love 4

So I guess there are lots of questions that hopefully get explored in future episodes. What exactly makes Andrew lash out into Lash? Is it some kind of adrenaline or anger like what happens to Hulk? Is it a conscious choice? Does he know that it is happening? Is he in control of the Lash personality or is he a little out of control like Hulk? It was so obvious he was Lash when they kept having him run into people in the hall. He had these looks which made it seem like he knows exactly what he is doing. So when did he exactly become bad? When he ate the fish oil capsules? Eating the fish oil may have turned him into Lash but it must have affected his personality as well? And now he's just pretending with May and SHIELD?

I think it's too simplistic to ask when Andrew went "bad." There's not a good/evil switch in people, just changing circumstances and how we adapt to them. My guess, based on Lash's statement to his now-dead lackey that he sees his work as necessary, is that Andrew is operating with basically the same attitude as the ATCU but is using even more extreme means to deal with what he perceives to be a threat. Andrew, in his pre Inhuman life, did a lot of assessment of powered people, and probably saw a lot of people who were too dangerous to send into the field and probably even too dangerous to live a normal life among humanity. A person with that kind of experience probably would see the explosion in the inhuman population as a real emergency. With SHIELD a mere fraction of the size it used to be, it seems unlikely that they have the space or resources to help or quarantine every Inhuman that comes out of their cocoon with potentially destructive powers. He may think that if you can't realistically hope to handle the rapidly growing inhuman population in a humane way that won't endanger the humans around them, that culling the herd is the only practical answer.

when they made the Lash/Andrew reveal I thought back on Daisy's complaint in the first episodes of the season about how Andrew wasn't approving any of the new Inhuman recruits for action yet. I then thought to myself that, yeah, why would he approve anyone to help out Daisy when its just that much easier to manage Daisy and the newbies while he's incognito.

I could be wrong, but I've gotten the impression that Andrew has always been conservative about approving advanced individuals for the field. Unless I'm remembering things wrong, he told Coulson last season that he didn't think Daisy should do field work either.

He may think that if you can't realistically hope to handle the rapidly growing inhuman population in a humane way that won't endanger the humans around them

Except he's willing to kill humans in his pursuit of inhumans.  Those bodies that the ACTU had collected were normal humans, as I recall.  And didn't he kill someone at the hospital while pursuing Lincoln?

I'm disappointed that Andrew is Lash because goodness knows these people could use a competent therapist...

• Love 1

Except he's willing to kill humans in his pursuit of inhumans.  Those bodies that the ACTU had collected were normal humans, as I recall.  And didn't he kill someone at the hospital while pursuing Lincoln?

I'm disappointed that Andrew is Lash because goodness knows these people could use a competent therapist...

The hospital guard was a normal human. those bodies in the ATCU morgue had a Lash hole burned through them. Unlike the comic book Inhumans who were more likely to come out looking like Lash or Raina the MCU Inhumans seem to be like the comic book mutants, human looking like Daisy Jaiying, Lincoln, Joey, and Alicia and you can only tell by a genetic test

Edited by Raja

Except he's willing to kill humans in his pursuit of inhumans. Those bodies that the ACTU had collected were normal humans, as I recall.

I'm pretty sure that the bodies the ATCU found were Inhuman. Rosalind even says outright to Coulson back in the premiere that she was unconcerned with the dead she thought SHIELD was leaving behind, but that she was concerned about the Inhumans they had taken alive and were sheltering. If she thought SHIELD was killing humans in their attempt to collect Inhumans, I think she probably would have said something to Coulson about it. Or at the very least, I don't think she'd refer to a dead human as a "carcass" the way she did to Coulson on the train. Carcass is a word that is usually reserved for animals, so it sounded like Ros was purposefully "other-ing" the dead with her language.

• Love 1

We've seen at least two Inhumans (Joey and Lincoln) kill people by accident.  

When did Joey kill someone? I know he caused some mayhem in the season premiere, but last we heard from Bobbi in that episode there were no reported casualties. (And because this was posted a bunch of times already - the ash-y human shape in his kitchen was his Inhuman cocoon, not a dead roommate/boyfriend)

This actually rings kinda true. One thing I found jarring about last week's episode is Simmons' PTSD, which feels a lot stranger when you see that, up until two minutes before she left she had actually adjusted relatively well, and was making jokes about seeing the next sunrise. And I know the way she left was traumatic, but her barely-verbal state in episodes 3 & 4 feels a bit off after that reveal, especially since she went from that state (end of episode 4), to significantly better here, even though this is, like, two days later in-universe. Could just be poor character continuity, but it'd be awesome if it were a hint that she's not quite what she says - given how strong Elizabeth Henstridge was in her solo episode, I'd love to see her play evil for a while. 

I feel this ep did Hunter no favors.  First, he's a huge dick for encouraging Fitz to leave Simmons' space boyfriend stranded.  Second, he kinda sucks at everything.  Let's start with strategic thinking.  His big plan for eliminating Ward was to get close enough to shoot him.  What was he going to do about Ward's lackeys?  Also, his combat skills aren't anything spectacular.  At least not compared to May & Bobbi.  His tech skills seem to be non-existent.  On top of that, he makes rash decisions in the field.  I'm guessing the only thing he brings to SHIELD are possible contacts in the underworld.

While this episode is him at his least flattering, it's...kinda all true. He was brought in as a merc when they were desperate for anyone who was remotely competent. He's never demonstrated a massive amount of combat or tactical prowess compared to the likes of Bobbi or May; his role in the first half of season 2 was mostly as comic relief and to bring Bobbi in, and in the second half he spent a good chunk of it captured and, while useful as Coulson's sole ally against Real SHIELD, wasn't exactly coming up with plans or being a one-man army. His character is consistently rash (cf that cold open where Coulson is trying to finagle his was into an SUV and Hunter just steals it), technically unskilled (cf "Face My Enemy" where he acknowledges that he's less skilled than basically everyone else on the team in that department) and mostly there because he cares about the people. But he's still a merc at heart, and I'd be really interested if they play that out a bit more to show a divide between him and a growing team of dedicated SHIELD agents. (That said, the conflict tonight was a bit cheap - I buy that everyone would be annoyed with him because, while Andrew would have been attacked anyway, his plan was reckless the whole way through, but I think that was articulated poorly tonight and made everyone look a bit simple and shallow in their assessment of the situation)

Other stray observations:

* Totally agree that Hunter is a monster, and potentially Fitz too, for considering stranding a man on an alien planet for the sake of avoiding a rival for Jemma's affections

* I think the ACTU solution is pretty monstrous, even if there's 'consent' - I don't know if consent can truly be given when someone's in a complete state of shock and being given incomplete information by the ACTU (not necessarily maliciously, just that the ACTU don't seem to know the full story behind the Inhumans). And I find the idea of a "cure" implausible when the Inhumans have, post-Terrigensis at least, fundamentally altered DNA, but I guess it could be possible with comic book medical science...

* The recap post loses 10 points for being mystified by a number of things we knew already (the name for the 'dwarf' drone, the batons having tasers) and gains a million points for the excellent Tom Lehrer reference

* I stand by what I said last week - this doesn't ring true at all with what we knew of Andrew, and is a really disappointing reveal considering that it isn't just taking May's love interest away, it's turning him into a serial killer. Even with the best of intentions in terms of "saving" the Inhumans from the pain of their existence, he still slaughtered some random security guard while hunting Lincoln for absolutely no reason, and could easily have killed a van full of agents two weeks ago. I may be proven wrong depending on how they justify it, but for now it feels exceedingly cheap and done for nothing more than a "shocking" reveal that half the board called as soon as it was teased.

Edited by enness2000
  • Love 1

Oh caught Mac calling Daisy "tremors" twice as a nickname. That sure to change to Quake sooner or later.

He's been calling her that since the end of last season.  I don't see that going away.  Given how long Mack called Fitz "Turbo" his names seem to stick.

When did Joey kill someone? I know he caused some mayhem in the season premiere, but last we heard from Bobbi in that episode there were no reported casualties. (And because this was posted a bunch of times already - the ash-y human shape in his kitchen was his Inhuman cocoon, not a dead roommate/boyfriend)

I might have just been confused based on how much fire and property damage he caused in the opening scene of the premiere.

Even worse, it seems like the guy is the ONLY therapist in the MCU. You would think it would be a booming profession in this universe. 

• Love 1

I think it is safe to say that AOS is and will be the exposition fairy and or Deus ex Machina for the the Marvel movies. 

All this talk about Simmons has started me to thinking. Did they send Will out there with condoms. Simmons is going to be an aliens baby mama. Que Maury Povich.

• Love 2

Well, Andrew is, indeed, Lash. They built up to it quite nicely, though. It's surprising enough for casual viewers, but they'll be able to go back if they choose to and see the clues placed since the first episode. I'm not in love with the idea, and I was hoping this would be more of an 'I can't control the Other Guy', like Bruce Banner, so I'm disappointed it seems like Andrew is in control, or at least is aware of his other identity and what he's doing. Andrew's been a good influence on May and has been a decent therapist. It's a shame that he might actually have to go away and possibly die for real because of it. 

Yeah, now it seems like this Jemma/Will thing from last episode doesn't make sense, and seeing those little details in the info Fitz dug up makes me question Will and if he's really Will. What if he isn't really Will? What if he's some creature that can shapeshift/take bodies, or what if Will is somehow possessed by another being? Damn; I like Dillon Casey, so that would suck. But now, the question is if Jemma is really Jemma.

Rosalind and Coulson as a thing? Hmm....I could go for that. It would be a fun dynamic, with both so mistrusting but both so into each other. We could always use another couple on the show, since the only other official one is Hunter/Bobbi. Andrew/May is pretty much screwed at this point. At least, for the time being until they deal with the aftermath.

I liked the Bobbi/May team up; I don't blame Bobbi for being hesitant, but I'm so glad she's back in the field. Hunter/Mack/Daisy works so well. I really hope Hunter/Bobbi don't go to their own spinoff; they work much better as supporting characters here. 

Lincoln only pops in now to show that Luke Mitchell's a regular. It's disappointing; couldn't they find more of a purpose with him?

I like Brett Dalton, but his character needs to die now. 

• Love 1

Now I'm really hoping infected Jemma is also among them hiding. It would make the Will story much more interesting. 

I don't really get the point of making Lincoln a regular. He doesn't do anything. I do like Mack calling Daisy tremors. I wonder when he'll start calling her Quake. 

It looked like that there was at least one other person, in Joey's apartment. Either that person was killed by Lash or he also took infected fill oil pills, but wasn't an inhuman and died. 

It looked like that there was at least one other person, in Joey's apartment. Either that person was killed by Lash or he also took infected fill oil pills, but wasn't an inhuman and died.

That was the remains of the cocoon like the ones surrounding Daisy and Raina when the went through terrigenesis.

It isn't the terrigin that kills humans but the metal in the deviners which supposedly went to the bottom of the ocean when the terrigin crystal dissolved.

Edited by Raja

That was the remains of the cocoon like the ones surrounding Daisy and Raina when the went through terrigenesis.

It isn't the terrigin that kills humans but the metal in the deviners which supposedly went to the bottom of the ocean when the terrigin crystal dissolved.

So basically anything that is infected, like those fish oil pills, can be dangerous to regular humans as well? Because I got the impression that it was only infecting people with the Inhuman genes and leaving the rest alone. Although, if the diviners did fall into the ocean how would it get into the ecosystem; wasn't the terrigin crystals the only thing that is affecting people? Won't the diviners just lay at the bottom of the ocean, not harming no one, until someone who doesn't carry the Inhuman gene touch it?

As with the cocoon, I didn't realize that was Joey's cocoon. I was thinking that it was his boyfriend's who perished like Triplet did while in the temple back in Season 2.

Love Hunter and SO GLAD his hair is back to normal instead of the plastered down gob look he was sporting undercover.

He's an immature ass- but an immature ass that is really good at his job, noble, and loves/values his friends above all else. Agree with other posters that felt his only failing with Ward was insisting on going in w/o backup in the first place, not his decision to fire on Ward after Andrew was threatened.

I don't think Hunter is so much immature as he is more amoral then the rest of the team. He is on the team because he likes Coulson and Bobby wants to be there rather than any higher calling. Hunter is basically your typical street rat grown up. He has impulse control issues and doesn't really do long term planning well but he improvises really well, He's a realist and that has its place on the team.

I also think while Hunter wouldn't have pulled the trigger if Bobby was the one Ward had captive, May wouldn't have hesitated to pull the trigger. So while I don't blame May for being upset I hope she realizes that soon. 

• Love 3

Holy shit!  Gorilla Grodd is doing a Marvel show!  Heh.  That was my reaction to seeing Powers Boothe's name in the credits.  And despite having never seen his live-action form (I only know him from his voice acting on Justice League and Justice League Unlimited), I knew him the moment I heard his voice with Strucker.

So Andrew really is Lash.  I know some people thought that, but I dismissed it.  At least they didn't drag out the reveal for very long.  But why would he wanna kill Inhumans?  He seemed like such a nice guy when we first met him last season.

The only real letdown of the episode to me was that May and Bobbi didn't actually find Ward.  I was looking forward to them kicking his ass.