Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Among Us Hide...

• Start Topic

I would have liked more continuity to the stranded astronaut plot now that it's been introduced.  I don't think Fitz is the sort to leave him stranded for love triangle reasons, and I would have preferred that it wasn't brought up.

I would have liked Fitz to say "He's a person. That's all that matters." Because that should be all that matters.

I'll have to go back and watch that scene again, but I thought those people were being held in stasis voluntarily. I don't think the ATCU would lock up someone like Daisy or Lincoln who had things under control. I may be wrong, and my feelings won't be hurt if so, but that's the impression I got.

The ACTU (American Civil Teragen Union?) was going after Lincoln, who I sincerely doubt would have consented to going into stasis.

So the Andrew=Lash people were correct (good job to those who called it).  I'm not surprised, but I hope this doesn't mean Andrew is really a bad guy ... I want an explanation!  Poor May.

Andrew is a murderer. He killed the security guard and the three people in the apartment -- who may not have been indexed but were known to SHIELD and certainly could have been. He's just as bad as Ward now.

I am thinking that we will probably find more twits about the ATCU

There should be, there are plenty of twits in SHIELD! (I know you meant "twists" but couldn't resist!)

Maybe he spared Daisy not for sentimental reasons, but because she's been cleared and has agreed to work for SHIELD.  As far as we know, he hasn't tried to target any of the Inhumans that have been taken into SHIELD custody, nor does he appear to be after the Inhumans that the ATCU has apprehended.  Maybe he thinks Inhumans are too dangerous to live in the general population and that's why he's targeting Inhumans who live among the human population.  And in some cases, he's not entirely wrong.  We've seen at least two Inhumans (Joey and Lincoln) kill people by accident.

My thought is that if you accept being categorized and put on the index Lash will think you are not a threat to be eliminated. Thus Andrew's stare at Alicia after finding out she was working with SHIELD

See above. The three Inhumans that he murdered may have been indexed, or could have been in the near future. Whatever his motivation, he is a monster and not just when he's Lash.

• Love 4

I would have liked Fitz to say "He's a person. That's all that matters." Because that should be all that matters.

Absolutely, it should be all that matters, but consider everything Fitz has done for her. 

He was willing to die to keep Gemma alive and suffered brain damage because of it. He never gave up hope that she was still alive in spite of everybody else telling him to let go and give up. He helps orchestrate the plan to get her out of there and risks himself again to go in and get her.

What does she do: Thanks, Fitz. You're a great friend. We need to go back to save my boyfriend now. Can you help me with that? 

Yes, obviously, he should help rescue Will, but I do understand Hunter's point. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3

What does she do: Thanks, Fitz. You're a great friend. We need to go back to save my boyfriend now. Can you help me with that? 

She never called him her boyfriend.  As far as I know, she thinks they have to rescue him because he's a person.  If Fitz is hurt because Simmons doesn't care for him the way he wants (and I agree that she's led him on a bit too much), that's no excuse for not acting like a cic=vilized human being.

======================================

I think that Bobby was right to take the diplomatic approach at the bank.  May was being just as rash as she accuses Hunter of being.  Why harm people who are only doing their job just because you can.  The guards are going to be spending time in the hospital when they didn't need to.

• Love 2

So the astronaut who is non-sciencey is President of the Science Club and Head of the Astrophysics Department?

In the Blue Planet episode I thought the "non-sciencey" line was ridiculous. Anyone who's an astronaut HAS to be sciencey by default. There's just a ton of sciencey training involved in becoming an astronaut.

• Love 1

I think the only reason Andrew/Lash hasn't hurt Daisy is because she is his best chance to find Lincoln, who may be the one Inhuman who has the "power" to kill Lash with his ability. Once Lincoln is out of the way, Lash will probably turn on Daisy too. Lash and Lincoln seem to share that electricity trait.

Ohhh....good thought.  Until I read it here that Andrew might be Lash, it never crossed my mind.

I am way more into Coulson/Rosalind than I probably should be. I know it's not going to end well for them, but I really really want it to.

Not usually a shipper myself, but I kind of ship them in their cagey, spy vs. spy way.  I like her a lot more than the musician.

I know people are thinking Will is evil and I think that too, but I also am now thinking that it would be more interesting if Jemma was infected by the evil planet as well. I think it happened right before she made it through the portal. I think real Jemma was living in fear on that planet to explain her PTSD, then it took a week for Ego to gain control of her and that's what triggered the change in her. Now Ego wants to bring Will over too because two infected people are stronger than one. Ego made up that story about Jemma and Will surviving peacefully together because it knows that's the only way to get Fitz to help. It's been studying the Shield people to get that information.

Evil Jemma would be awesome so I like this theory!  But who/what is Ego?

I do like Mack calling Daisy tremors. I wonder when he'll start calling her Quake. 

At some point she'll really let loose with the powers and cause some massive destruction.  Mack'll upgrade her to Quake at that point.  And once again, everything/everyone is better with Mack.

I thought that when Bobbi whacked the guy in the head (while they were tusseling in the pool), the baton would have caved his head in.  His head must be much harder than mine.

Powers Booth!  Has he ever played a good guy?  His voice may have, but I don't recall seeing him as one when you see his face.

Evil Jemma would be awesome so I like this theory!  But who/what is Ego?

That's the spec on the planet Jemma was on. Ego the Living Planet that can use anti-bodies to infect humans to control them. He might also have mind control abilities to make people see whatever he wants them to see.

• Love 1

I'm very interested to know why Andrew kills Inhumans as Lash. Right now we know he committing the acts but for the life of me I can't figure out whay a doctor would be killing people like this. What problem is he trying to solve?

Right now I am staying with eliminating potential threats, the nuke it from orbit just to be sure option, no matter what collateral damage like the hospital guard and ATCU agents,  rather than attempting cleanse the human gene pool of all alien traces.

That's the spec on the planet Jemma was on. Ego the Living Planet that can use anti-bodies to infect humans to control them. He might also have mind control abilities to make people see whatever he wants them to see.

The thing is, if Will was a hallucination from Ego, then why choose to say that he doesn't have a science background and give him the piles of those old computers? If anything, I can imagine Jemma hallucinating that Will does have a science background if Ego wanted those two to get along, but it does seem that the show is hinting that there are probably two Wills. 

Edited by TVSpectator

I'm very interested to know why Andrew kills Inhumans as Lash. Right now we know he committing the acts but for the life of me I can't figure out whay a doctor would be killing people like this. What problem is he trying to solve?

Right now I am staying with eliminating potential threats, the nuke it from orbit just to be sure option, no matter what collateral damage like the hospital guard and ATCU agents,  rather than attempting cleanse the human gene pool of all alien traces.

Didn't Frye (?)- the newly Inhuman programmer that was assisting Lash with the computer virus that tracked Inhumans- say that Lash was freeing/releasing Inhumans from their misery? Maybe this was Frye completely projecting onto what he and Lash were doing and his way of rationalizing his part, but I can see how Andrew would be *committed* to mercy killing.

Andrew would consider it mercy for all- for the Inhuman, for the unsuspecting collateral surrounding the Inhuman, and for anyone like May that would have to destroy him or herself protecting the collateral by stopping the Inhuman. We haven't really been shown the unmaking that occurred to Andrew because of Bahrain but his life was just as destroyed as May's when May had to kill that girl. He might have compartmentalized it better than May, but he was wrecked.

I can totally believe he would, in his frustration at his circumstances and his inability to heal himself, decide to make lemonade by ensuring no one else would have to suffer like he is/did at the whimsy of a Kree science experiment.

In a twist that surprised almost no one, Andrew is Lash.

Pretty good episode though.

I thought I was somebody... I used to be somebody...

I am now no one I guess. I was totally surprised that Blair Underwood/Andrew was "Lash". HOLY COW!

• Love 1
despite having never seen his live-action form

He was Curly Bill in Tombstone (which is worth watching if you haven't seen it).

Powers Booth!  Has he ever played a good guy?

Rapid Fire, at least.  It's possible I'm a bit obsessed with that movie.

• Love 1

See above. The three Inhumans that he murdered may have been indexed, or could have been in the near future. Whatever his motivation, he is a monster and not just when he's Lash.

That's a kind of dull and two dimensional way of assessing the situation. No one is disputing that Andrew as Lash isn't a murderer. Of course he is. Figuring out his motive doesn't excuse or contradict that. But merely writing someone off as doing things because he's a monster flattens a character and makes for really weak storylines. Andrew had to get from the person we knew to the person he is now somehow, and speculating the how or the why isn't giving him an excuse or making him seem better. It's recognizing him as a character with agency capable of making choices that follow some definable logic, not someone who's been tainted by some innate evil.

And speaking of agency, I'm definitely not on board with the possibility of an infected/imposter Simmons. I don't like mind control and possession storylines. I think they're a sloppy short cut writers take to allow their characters act completely out of character without going to the trouble of crafting credble nuanced reasons for why they might behave that way. Simmons is an awesome character, and I think it would do her a disservice to take away her agency this way. She doesn't get that many storylines to herself, so I'd rather that she get to be her real self and make her real choices when the focus is on her and not someone who can't think for herself and has to be saved/cured by everyone else. Jemma deserves better than that!

• Love 2
I think you'd call that a grouping, not a pairing.

And if you were French you would call it a menage a' trois. And with a woman who vibrates. Enough said.

Hi Watcher0363...You can come sit in the gutter with me. Plenty of room, lol.

Edited by fuzzysneakers
  • Love 2

Not usually a shipper myself, but I kind of ship them in their cagey, spy vs. spy way.

She wears white and he wears black.  All they need are the funny hats.

That's a kind of dull and two dimensional way of assessing the situation. No one is disputing that Andrew as Lash isn't a murderer. Of course he is. Figuring out his motive doesn't excuse or contradict that. But merely writing someone off as doing things because he's a monster flattens a character and makes for really weak storylines.

I'm not saying he's doing these things because he's a monster. I'm saying he's a monster because he's doing these things.

• Love 4

At first, I thought the Lash thing was going to be split personalty Incredible Hulk kind of thing. But, now its looking like Andrew is more of the " I will kill them to spare them of their pain" type. How the hell he got that way, I have no idea. 

• Love 1

Thinking back, Andrew was angry that he hadn't been notified that SHIELD was reaching out to the group in the apartment.  He may be focused on the inhumans transformed by the diviners rather than the new crop on the grounds that they are not likely to be found and contained by other forces.

In the Blue Planet episode I thought the "non-sciencey" line was ridiculous. Anyone who's an astronaut HAS to be sciencey by default. There's just a ton of sciencey training involved in becoming an astronaut.

It's a matter of context.  He may consider himself non-sciency compared to the people he was around at NASA.  If he is more practical than theoretical, or does not have a post-grad degree, he might seem like the least knowledgeable person on the mission, even if he knows more about space and space travel than ninety percent of the people on Earth.

I didn't seem Simmons' behavior as a sudden recovery but rather a relief that her secret, and probably some rescuee's guilt, are out in the open.

• Love 1

Also it's hard to say how Coulson really feels about what they are doing, since as a spy he wouldn't let his true feelings out. Daisy (and well all of them) should have known that when they were watching him.

I agree! I couldn't believe how Daisy was all, "He doesn't look upset at all!" Hello? Have you met your boss? 1) Give him more credit than that, and 2) he's trying to be covert - he can't give up whatever he's feeling or thinking, not to Rosalind, not unless he knows for sure that he can trust her (and even then he may not, especially after what happened with Ward, whom he once trusted very much). 

But of course Daisy doesn't think that far because NECESSARY DRAMAAAAAAAAAH.  (LOL.)

P.S. Last night I saw a commercial for fish oil and I laughed and laughed and said, "No, I don't think so. It could be dangerous."  Heee.

• Love 2

Also? I feel really, really bad for May. She was willing to give her relationship with Andrew another try, she even took a vacation (!) and was willing to quit SHIELD! And now she finds out this? That he hid it from her and didn't even feel like he could come to her for help, and it may not be something that can be fixed, especially if Andrew cannot see reason... that all really sucks.

• Love 1

I get that Andrew-Lash is using his connection to SHIELD to find and kill Inhumans, but how is he managing to get to the locations before them without the benefit of a private super-jet? Is teleportation part of his power set? 

How many has he gotten to? We have seen the ATCU morgue  with a handful of remains but then he was actively hunting survivors of Jaiying's Afterlife group with the help of another Inhuman ally who's power was to have an allergic reaction to other Inhumans. When someone's power was public knowledge, like Joey the ATCU and SHIELD did get there first. I will speculate that when the power or physical transformation is not as extreme perhaps they seek medical assistance which eventually leads to the ATCU's holding cells. I will head canon that Lash's man was a psychological consultation for Andrew when conventional medicine could show no reason for his rashes.

So here's my thing. Since some of you were curious enough to wonder.

Contrary to the statements of others on this board, Inhumans do NOT just simply 'transform' and then la-dee-dah off to use their superpowers. They go through an intense process. They need a guide or they go haywire. SEE ALSO: Every Inhuman ever on the show. Ever.

SO, the idea some of you have ... is that Andrew eats some Terrigen fish - while on an intimate vacation with his former love, the most suspicious woman on the planet - transforms into an Inhuman, does not freak out, does not show any signs that even Agent May would notice!, which, bullshit - maintains a delightful vacation demeanor throughout his whole transformation - which, bullshit - and then goes on an Inhuman-slaughtering rampage back on the mainland sure to attract the attention of SHIELD, because bullshit.

If that's the story some producer's ex-wife's kid wrote as part of the divorce settlement, then I'm out.

But: what if Andrew was killed/sidelined by an already-honed shapeshifting Inhuman while in Hawaii? Then...

• Love 1

Well we know that he didn't just go through the motions of a happy vacation. May says that everything was fine and then boom, he disappeared. So I think what I assume happened is that he transformed one day, and after emerging from the cocoon, quickly got rid of the evidence and disappeared so as not to alarm her.

I also heard a theory that Andrew was the person responsible for hurting her father, so that she would rush to his side and be away from SHIELD for an extended period of time. Even though they hinted that Ward was behind his car "accident," it is interesting that Ward didn't manage to kill or permanently injury William May. I initially chalked that up to Ward being a crappy assassin, but it may be that Andrew just wanted to scare May enough to lure her away from him.

But either way, it seems that we'll see more of this in tomorrow's episode.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 5

So here's my thing. Since some of you were curious enough to wonder.

Contrary to the statements of others on this board, Inhumans do NOT just simply 'transform' and then la-dee-dah off to use their superpowers. They go through an intense process. They need a guide or they go haywire. SEE ALSO: Every Inhuman ever on the show. Ever.

SO, the idea some of you have ... is that Andrew eats some Terrigen fish - while on an intimate vacation with his former love, the most suspicious woman on the planet - transforms into an Inhuman, does not freak out, does not show any signs that even Agent May would notice!, which, bullshit - maintains a delightful vacation demeanor throughout his whole transformation - which, bullshit - and then goes on an Inhuman-slaughtering rampage back on the mainland sure to attract the attention of SHIELD, because bullshit..

You apparently missed a pretty big detail here.  Andrew didn't finish out his vacation with May none the wiser about his Inhuman status.  He left her abruptly, and then remained completely out of communication for weeks, something May called him out on in Devils You Know.  Which sounds exactly like what someone who is freaking out might do.    

I also heard a theory that Andrew was the person responsible for hurting her father, so that she would rush to his side and be away from SHIELD for an extended period of time. Even though they hinted that Ward was behind his car "accident," it is interesting that Ward didn't manage to kill or permanently injury William May. I initially chalked that up to Ward being a crappy assassin, but it may be that Andrew just wanted to scare May enough to lure her away from him.

I could buy this theory as I never bought the idea that Ward might be responsible for her father's accident.  It seemed out of character for Ward to hurt someone close to May just enough to make her worry, but not enough to do any serious permanent damage.  It seemed to me that if Ward meant to hurt someone in May's life, that he'd be on life support or in need of round the clock care, if not dead.

Edited by xqueenfrostine

You apparently missed a pretty big detail here.  Andrew didn't finish out his vacation with May none the wiser about his Inhuman status.  He left her abruptly, and then remained completely out of communication for weeks, something May called him out on in Devils You Know.  Which sounds exactly like what someone who is freaking out might do.    

I could buy this theory as I never bought the idea that Ward might be responsible for her father's accident.  It seemed out of character for Ward to hurt someone close to May just enough to make her worry, but not enough to do any serious permanent damage.  It seemed to me that if Ward meant to hurt someone in May's life, that he'd be on life support or in need of round the clock care, if not dead.

I don't Wards ego would have let him not take credit for it either. If Ward had actually gotten to May's dad he would have sent her a video, text message and a freaking airplane banner.

Also while Andrew may not be going full on Hulk when he becomes Lash where he has no control he may not really be fully culpable for his actions either. Its possible becoming Lash created some kind of mental disorder or aggravated an issue to the point that Andrew really isn't sane.  Especially since this is such a huge difference from his old personality. In fact the most likely explanation is that gaining powers triggered some kind of personality disorder. Since gaining powers made Andrew would evil be way to simplistic even for this show.

• Love 1

I don't Wards ego would have let him not take credit for it either. If Ward had actually gotten to May's dad he would have sent her a video, text message and a freaking airplane banner.

Or at least made some sort of dig about her dad when they were facing off against one another in the warehouse!  Since he's done none of these things, I feel like we can safely assume that Ward didn't put a hit out on Mr. May.  Andrew seems like a reasonable explanation, since I don't think they would have planted the seed that Mr. May's accident might not be an accident for no reason and that it's likely that whoever did it would be someone we've already met.  I could see Andrew planning an accident that was just bad enough to cause May to take time off to care for him, but not bad enough to risk May actually losing her father.

• Love 1

He left her abruptly, and then remained completely out of communication for weeks ...  Which sounds exactly like what someone who is freaking out might do

It also sounds like a situation where "he left her abruptly" means he was killed, and then was replaced after "weeks" had passed by an Inhuman who can shapeshift and needs to find other Inhumans (just like SHIELD needs to do, so an association with SHIELD would be good, thus the infiltration).

More than one theory you understand.

Also while Andrew may not be going full on Hulk when he becomes Lash where he has no control he may not really be fully culpable for his actions either. Its possible becoming Lash created some kind of mental disorder or aggravated an issue to the point that Andrew really isn't sane.

Andrew knows that Lash is murdering innocent people. Since Andrew hasn't done the slightest thing to restrain Lash, we can only assume that he supports fully any actions he takes as lash.

It also sounds like a situation where "he left her abruptly" means he was killed, and then was replaced after "weeks" had passed by an Inhuman who can shapeshift and needs to find other Inhumans (just like SHIELD needs to do, so an association with SHIELD would be good, thus the infiltration).

More than one theory you understand.

That's a plausible theory, but I'm not inclined to think that's going to be the case. And not just because I find imposter stories boring. I just don't see an Imposter!Andrew making a point to call

May to let her know that Simmons had been rescued as he did at the end of the second episode. As soon as he heard the news that Jemma was safe, his first response was to call May and let her know even though the two of them were currently estranged. That suggests a level of caring and understanding that you would expect between two people who care for one another, not from someone who is just inhabiting the space where Andrew used to be.

So after 3x05, I decided to join the online following of AoS. I've watched since the pilot but only as a casual viewer.

I've been reading about people's take on Hunter's conversation with Fitz in this episode and thought I would give mine since I feel people are under-analyzing it or maybe I'm over-analyzing it. :)

I just saw last night's episode of Castle and Alec Baldwin guest starred as Slaughter that, in many ways, is similar to Hunter. In the finale scene between them Slaughter says something inappropriate but it gets Castle's attention. This is similar to what I think happened between Hunter and Fitz.

Hunter is a straight-shooter and he has good instincts imo. He is the sort of friend that asks the tough questions.

We didn't get to see how Hunter came to learn of Will and their plans to go back, so I assume he somehow knew before going to Fitz in the lab and offer him his "expertise". He wants to see how Fitz is handling the situation, which is poorly from Hunter's perspective. It's an insane situation and he should be frustrated as hell, in the gym punching a bag. That is what Hunter would be doing. Instead it seems like Fitz isn't dealing with it at all. He is focused on the task and just wants to make Jemma happy - I wouldn't be surprised if he would be trying to open the portal if Jemma had forgot her favorite teddy-bear there or a rock with a drawn face on it called "Wilson".

So what I saw in that scene was Hunter provoking a reaction from Fitz to face the reality of what he is doing. It's not, imo, to make him stop rescuing another human being because that isn't who they are, they are the good guys, but because of what is going to happen when/if they do rescue Will. Fitz needs to be prepared for that and Hunter knows it. If Fitz just try and forget about it, (like putting the bills in the trash hoping they'll go away) it will hit even harder when it happens.

He is also talking from experience with the Phoenix story. He didn't see it coming then and if Fitz is in denial, he isn't going to either and Hunter has seen Fitz trying to cope with a Jemma situation before, but this time it's going to be a lot worse.

In the scene, Fitz says "What are you doing?" as if to ask why he is asking those questions and then turns it to why Hunter is in the lab. To me another indication that Fitz realizes what Hunter is trying to do and since he doesn't want to face the possibility of Jemma and Will on Earth he kicks Hunter out of the lab after Hunter says that he got benched and thought he could offer his "expertise" elsewhere.

As I said, it could just be me over-analyzing it, but that is how I interpret the scene.

Edited by Fogh
  • Love 4

So after 3x05, I decided to join the online following of AoS. I've watched since the pilot but only as a casual viewer.

I've been reading about people's take on Hunter's conversation with Fitz in this episode and thought I would give mine since I feel people are under-analyzing it or maybe I'm over-analyzing it. :)

I just saw last night's episode of Castle and Alec Baldwin guest starred as Slaughter that, in many ways, is similar to Hunter. In the finale scene between them Slaughter says something inappropriate but it gets Castle's attention. This is similar to what I think happened between Hunter and Fitz.

Hunter is a straight-shooter and he has good instincts imo. He is the sort of friend that asks the tough questions.

We didn't get to see how Hunter came to learn of Will and their plans to go back, so I assume he somehow knew before going to Fitz in the lab and offer him his "expertise". He wants to see how Fitz is handling the situation, which is poorly from Hunter's perspective. It's an insane situation and he should be frustrated as hell, in the gym punching a bag. That is what Hunter would be doing. Instead it seems like Fitz isn't dealing with it at all. He is focused on the task and just wants to make Jemma happy - I wouldn't be surprised if he would be trying to open the portal if Jemma had forgot her favorite teddy-bear there or a rock with a drawn face on it called "Wilson".

So what I saw in that scene was Hunter provoking a reaction from Fitz to face the reality of what he is doing. It's not, imo, to make him stop rescuing another human being because that isn't who they are, they are the good guys, but because of what is going to happen when/if they do rescue Will. Fitz needs to be prepared for that and Hunter knows it. If Fitz just try and forget about it, (like putting the bills in the trash hoping they'll go away) it will hit even harder when it happens.

He is also talking from experience with the Phoenix story. He didn't see it coming then and if Fitz is in denial, he isn't going to either and Hunter has seen Fitz trying to cope with a Jemma situation before, but this time it's going to be a lot worse.

In the scene, Fitz says "What are you doing?" as if to ask why he is asking those questions and then turns it to why Hunter is in the lab. To me another indication that Fitz realizes what Hunter is trying to do and since he doesn't want to face the possibility of Jemma and Will on Earth he kicks Hunter out of the lab after Hunter says that he got benched and thought he could offer his "expertise" elsewhere.

As I said, it could just be me over-analyzing it, but that is how I interpret the scene.

No, I don't think that you are over-analyzing anything and I think that was what that scene was supposed to be about. 

• Love 1

Andrew knows that Lash is murdering innocent people. Since Andrew hasn't done the slightest thing to restrain Lash, we can only assume that he supports fully any actions he takes as lash.

There a whole spectrum of behavior between knowing what Lash does and condoning it though. Just because Andrew is aware of  Lash doesn't mean he likes it. A lot of case of DID(the technical name of Multiple personality disorder) one of the alters dominates the others and the other don't really have any control over them (Like Smeagol and Gollum). Its partly why people will create these alternate personas in the first place to create something to protect them.  Lash may be the manifestation of Andrews anger and fear about what happening to him.

There a whole spectrum of behavior between knowing what Lash does and condoning it though. Just because Andrew is aware of  Lash doesn't mean he likes it. 

I guess the question is "Does he know Lash killed an innocent human?"  If yes, then because he hasn't done anything to stop another murder, he's responsible for all Lash does.  If not -- if he's aware of Lash, but not of everything Lash does (equivalent to the "fugue states" of DIDs), then I'll give him a pass (for now...)

I was disappointed with this episode. My favorite thing about SHIELD is Coulson and his people being highly competent, thinking two moves ahead, and working as a team.

The Ward "plan"—Coulson never should have greenlit it in the first place; it wasn't much of a plan. But when it got to the point that it did, Hunter made the right call, and everyone other than May should see that. Coulson should have had a genuine after action briefing and made that determination. Pulling Hunter off the Ward mission because he failed (and Coulson sounded a lot like Ward punishing people for failing, minus the killing), and putting May on it when she was visibly emotionally compromised was out of character. Ditto either letting her take or not noticing that she took an agent he had not cleared for field work.

May attacked Bobbi in the gym and then went on to chastise her in the field for not choosing violence first. I know she said she was just trying to get Bobbi back into action, but what I saw/felt was her still needing to beat the shit out of someone, anyone, because she was upset about Andrew. (Also, speaking Mandarin as "code" is dumb—you have no idea who might understand you.)

Teamwork, guys! Professionalism! Hunter haring off out of the van to play kidnapper. Daisy appropriating unapproved tech for the field. Daisy making judgments about Coulson's reactions while he's in the field—especially without context.

Add me as hating Hunter harping on the "romantic rival" aspect of Will, whether or not it was a reverse psychology goad. Honestly, I don't understand why everyone from Jemma on down hasn't been screaming, "Oh my god, stranded astronaut! Save him! Call NASA!"

And I'm not a fan of Andrew being Lash—it is so out of character for everything we've known about him.

So what did I like? Coulson and Ros's continuing chess match, Bobbi getting her groove back, Mack, Fitz, and Jemma. Powers Booth was impressively scary, and I actually managed to feel sorry for Baby Von Strucker for the way PB and Ward did him in. RIP, even if you were a spoiled little shit.

• Love 3

* The recap post loses 10 points for being mystified by a number of things we knew already (the name for the 'dwarf' drone, the batons having tasers) and gains a million points for the excellent Tom Lehrer reference.

But it loses those points for getting the reference wrong. "That's not my department, says Werner von Braun". 

And it loses another 10 points for calling Bobbi "Mockingjay", apparently unironically.

Props to all those who guessed Andrew = Lash: it wasn't my favourite option, but I did see it as a possibility. But now I really want to know WHY: is Lash the Mr Hyde to his Dr Jekyll that is completely independent from his main personality (who can only be subsumed again by murdering another Inhuman) or is Andrew conscious of Lash's doings? I was hoping for the former but it looked like it was the latter. I was also wondering if we'd seen a lot of Andrew pulling on a new shirt (or at least adjusting his clothing) prior to now because it was explicit that he now has a clothing budget similar to that of the Hulk. I'd also like to know how much May knows and/or guesses about Andrew's condition (I'm assuming he "contracted" his condition while they were holidaying in Hawaii - I guess it's just about possible that he'd had it longer than that and he'd successfully kept it from her, but being that secretive was what broke them up in the first place).

Growing to rather like Hunter, even if he is rather reckless, because every team needs somebody who isn't completely by the book (though I can see May not agreeing). Guy sure is determined and loyal, though.

maczero  His big plan for eliminating Ward was to get close enough to shoot him.

When he came up with his plan, I actually began going "Did they never meet?" since I couldn't recall if they ever had - guess I was wrong! Yeah, that's up there with "We could throw Humus at them!" in terms of insane plans.

Monty Ashley (Recap) "Oh, no thanks. I don't need redeeming."
- Grant Ward, saying explicitly that he prefers to stay a villain and not get some lame redemption storyline 

Well hurray for that (assuming they stick to it)!

sinkwriter I couldn't believe how Daisy was all, "He doesn't look upset at all!" Hello? Have you met your boss? 1) Give him more credit than that, and 2) he's trying to be covert - he can't give up whatever he's feeling or thinking, not to Rosalind, not unless he knows for sure that he can trust her. 

Yeah, Daisy lost a lot of the points she'd gained earlier this season for that. You do get the idea of "undercover" work is NOT to shout out what you really think, right?

jhlipton  I would have liked Fitz to say "He's a person. That's all that matters." Because that should be all that matters.

Absolutely agree on the sentiment, but jealousy is so very human. However, Hunter really ought to butt out of it and not project his (entirely understandable) feelings onto other people.

Yeah, Daisy lost a lot of the points she'd gained earlier this season for that. You do get the idea of "undercover" work is NOT to shout out what you really think, right?

LOL. Yeah, that was seriously not smooth of her at all.

Also, I thought Bobbi & May were being reckless in communicating in Mandarin(?). A language spoken by c.1 billion people, particularly at a bank that probably entertains a lot of foreign nationals isn't the most secure communication they could have used. Communicating in Swahili (or Esperanto) would be more secure, particularly given they could easily have come up with a code phrase that meant "Time to get violent!" (eg. "I'll need to speak to my husband") before going in.