Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Found

I refuse to believe that the FBI wouldn't detain those folks leaving the church, even just if it's to see their face and tell them they can leave once they're not Alex.  You're talking about the main suspect you have confirmed is in the building, in the biggest bombing since 9/11?  I know I'm not supposed to take this stuff too seriously, but yeah...

I'm in for the season because I'm a sucker for any sort of mystery plot or whodunnit, but this show is pretty bad.  

• Love 1

What was with the (practically) shot-for-shot remake of the sex scene from the 1998 movie "Out of Sight?" Even when J.Lo/Alex takes her hair out of its bun (see 1:30)! This show clearly mimicked Soderbergh's cutting back and forth between scenes of the lovers conversing over drinks with a more intimate bedroom setting of them about to have sex, set to sexy music. I mean that was unbelievable, and egregious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWXC1NlER4k

True but how many people have seen that movie? ( I haven't). It's a seventeen year old movie after all. Edited by Neurochick

I don't get what she sees in him either. I love how these shows teach you that as long as you are hot and a guy you can be a complete Douche to a woman and still bed her. Shelby is too good for Caleb. I'm hoping we find out she has low self esteem of herself or something. IMO she's sexy and deserves better than Choad Boy

To be fair, that feels fairly realistic!

The problem is Blondie is not being a charming confident bad boy. He's playing a whiny douche who is actively sabotaging her. Not even 8 pack abs can make up for that. Shelby should have handcuffed him to the bed and left him there. 

• Love 1

I complain about a show directly stealing scenes from a movie and the responses are it's okay because the movie is 1) really good  2) not well known enough and 3) "old".  I don't get that.

True but how many people have seen that movie? ( I haven't). It's a seventeen year old movie after all.

Out of Sight made $77.7 million.  Divided by an $8 ticket (or the price of a DVD or whatever) in the 90s and that's almost 10 million people.

It was nominated for 2 Oscars.

There was a television show spin-off.

It's Soderbergh, and people who know film and direction know that movie, which is how these Quantico idiots stole from it.   I give them no excuses.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

The problem is Blondie is not being a charming confident bad boy. He's playing a whiny douche who is actively sabotaging her. Not even 8 pack abs can make up for that. Shelby should have handcuffed him to the bed and left him there.

See the thing is I've seen this in so many shows for years: good looking Guy is a douche to a Woman yet gets to bed her and he gets a pass for his behavior cause hes hot then they have the woman "change" him(BARF) and many viewers that are female NOT ALL eat it up for a strange reason cause he's attractive(GAG). I like Shelby and it's a shame she fucks this douche when he worked to sabotage her and personally as a guy I don't think he's that good looking, seriously he says "shut me up" which was a turn on apparently THEN leaves her in bed causes her to miss the bus. Then suggests a quickie and she says meet me in 10. Have some respect Shelby!! And you have more chem with ALEX. It's a shame they aren't both Bi lol

• Love 2
I'm in for the season because I'm a sucker for any sort of mystery plot or whodunnit, but this show is pretty bad. 

I usually am game for any type of mystery show. But what's funny about this one is that after 5 episodes, I don't care who the terrorist is. I have no desire to speculate on it because none of the characters (save Simon and the Amin twins) is compelling enough for me to care if they're the culprit.

Shelby should have handcuffed him to the bed and left him there. 

I would have loved Shelby if she did that! Also, she has anti-chemistry with Caleb.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

This may be fridge logic but I hope Simon is lying about being a former IDF soldier, because there is no way Simon could swing being a former combatant in the IDF.  Simon says he was in Gaza and did stuff, which means he wasn't some volunteer, he actually conscripted (which would be public information, you think it would come up in a simple background check) and served in a combat unit.

Which means our handsome Mr. Asher at some point stood in an olive drab uniform, got a gun and a Hebrew bible and swore "I swear and commit to maintain allegiance to the State of Israel, its laws, and its authorities....." (Yes, that is the first part of the actual oath, thank you, Dungeoncousins who are far too nice) Which means that Simon's allegiance is to another country but the US. On oath. 

On what planet is that okay? Either Simon swore an oath and gave up on it or he's still loyal to the IDF which is a huge conflict of interest. 

Nimah and Raina are flipping beautiful. 

• Love 2

I'm still onboard because of the overall mystery, but If I end up abandoning ship it will be due to some of the acting (especially from the lead, geesh) and the constant poorly written bantering that goes on every episode a dozen times from the same pairings again and again where both parties come off as douchey. Enjoyed real gay guy smacking down fake gay guy, but not most of the build up, since it was that aforementioned repitituous and poorly written tit for tat dialogue that plagues this show. That said I do enjoy Simon, the twins, blonde sniper and the director(actually not positive re her title?) - everyone else is fine to annoying as of now.

• Love 2

I'll be the lone wolf and say I didn't really mind the Shelby/Caleb hook-up. Yeah, it's an old and tired trope (bickering mask attraction) and I wish TPTB would have waited a bit with it, since Caleb is basically either being a doucheface or acting suspicious for the benefit of the audience. But he's pretty, she's pretty and I don't really watch this show for it's blistering commentary on human society, you know? For me, the show is Grey's Anatomy with agents instead of doctors, and I expected some hookups. And since I like either better than Alex or Booth, I don't really mind it ;)

Also, I think we can cross out Caleb as our terrorist, since he's on the who-are-the-audience-suppose-to-suspect-next-list with regards to him being on the list of people who were at Grand Central at the time of the bombing. Actually...

If Alex is being framed I hope there is more to it that 'they chose the brown girl.' I mean she's not the only brown girl there, so why her and not Nimah?

I don't think the bombing/framing had anything to do with Alex's skincolour; it's just what Alex thinks at the moment. My theory is that Alex know something (or someone on the FBI thinks she knows something) that'll put that someone* on the FBI in a bad light. In this episode Miranda told Booth that agent Cougartown (can't for the life of me remember his name) had told her it was a matter of national security - my guess is that he lied to cover up something else. So it was never about terrorism; it was a way to discredit Alex. Why they didn't just kill her while at Quantico is anyone's guess, but then we wouldn't have a show.

The reason I think we'll have that sort of convoluted reason for the bombing, is that it's a way to keep all of the main players' noses clean: We'll learn secrets about them along the way, but ultimately they're all good people, and next season will start with all of the recruits (Alex, Booth, Nimah, Raina, Shelby, Simon and Caleb) on a new conspiracy - probably with flashbacks en masse as well.

*Rule of TV: If Mark Pellegrino is on the show, he's playing a bad guy. So he's probably the brain behind the bombing. Unfortunately that'll give agent Cougartown a pass too.

Edited by feverfew

Still having trouble with the twins - Raina is the one that's good at the tasks but doesn't want to be there (or didn't) and Nimah is the opposite, right? I too am confused if they think Simon is gay, why is Nimah trying to get closer to him?

Elias is weird. I thought both couples where pretty hot. Simon is totally still lying.

He's playing a whiny douche who is actively sabotaging her.

Why is this acceptable to the instructors? I get challenging the trainees so they have to think on their feet, but Douche is putting her in real danger (so to speak) and it's no biggie. Way to support your teammates. Ugh, this show.

I had to laugh when Alex got all offended that she had to prove who she was to those Dark Web folks. Typical.

Edited by dubbel zout

I don't know why Simon hasn't blown off Elias since they first met. From the first moment Elias started to snoop around and unearth these pissant discrepancies, beginning with 'but you need special permission to enter Gaza - how'd you get that?' Simon should have shrugged and said gee I guess it's a fucking mystery - why should I tell you, I don't even know you! Instead he goes all squirrelly as if Elias has some upper hand.

In other words the first person to check into his background for five minutes found something strange. Meaning the cover is flimsy. So flimsy that it's just the pretense of a cover. Or the outermost layer of a deeper cover. Which the FBI must know about. This shouldn't be Simon's problem, he should call Elias' ('s's) bluff and tell him to fuck off and go rat him out if he wants to.

• Love 3

Still having trouble with the twins - Raina is the one that's good at the tasks but doesn't want to be there (or didn't) and Nimah is the opposite, right? I too am confused if they think Simon is gay, why is Nimah trying to get closer to him?

In the last episode thread, someone was able to attribute characteristics to which twin.

Nimah (the one who left Quantico in episode 4) - Aggressive, mediocre performance, dislikes Simon.

Raina - Nice, stellar performance, likes Simon.

Raina likes Simon that's why Nimah wants to get close to him.

• Love 1

This may be fridge logic but I hope Simon is lying about being a former IDF soldier, because there is no way Simon could swing being a former combatant in the IDF.  Simon says he was in Gaza and did stuff, which means he wasn't some volunteer, he actually conscripted (which would be public information, you think it would come up in a simple background check) and served in a combat unit.

I'm not sure of all the details of Simon's IDF story (which, I don't completely believe, but that's another issue), but it does seem plausible.  And, to give a specific and fairly similar example, a U.S. citizen -- born, raised, and educated in the U.S.A. -- who was essentially a volunteer (moved to Israel as an adult, after attending college) was killed in action inside the Gaza Strip last year (Times of Israel).

Which means our handsome Mr. Asher at some point stood in an olive drab uniform, got a gun and a Hebrew bible and swore "I swear and commit to maintain allegiance to the State of Israel, its laws, and its authorities....." (Yes, that is the first part of the actual oath, thank you, Dungeoncousins who are far too nice) Which means that Simon's allegiance is to another country but the US. On oath. 

On what planet is that okay? Either Simon swore an oath and gave up on it or he's still loyal to the IDF which is a huge conflict of interest.

As long as an American citizen serving in a foreign military is not engaging in hostilities against or spying against the U.S.A., the U.S. government doesn't really care what the citizen is doing.

Now, concerning Simon joining the FBI, the two main issues would be (1) whether he is still a U.S. citizen (e.g., if he actually renounced his American citizenship before joining the IDF), and (2) his potential allegiance to a foreign country (Israel). The first issue is highly unlikely, but if applicable, would completely disqualify him from being an FBI special agent. The second issue would mainly affect his ability to get a classified security clearance, which could limit his career options inside the FBI. But, that would be evaluated on a case-by-case basis under the federal security clearance guidelines (specifically, the "Foreign Preference" and "Foreign Influence" sections, among others).

I don't know why Simon hasn't blown off Elias since they first met.

I don't know why Elias is repeatedly confronting someone he apparently believes is a very dangerous person.  If I thought Simon was dangerous, I wouldn't tell him I know what he is up to, then tell him I will conveniently wait until the next day to let the people in charge know how much of a threat he might be.  That's nonsensical behavior.  If he is an honest to goodness threat, wouldn't you be worried about what he would do to someone who could expose him?  

And I still have no idea how the Raina/Nimah secret twins idea would work on a practical level.  Presumably both women want lives of their own, so even if they did this routine through training, at some point this is no longer going to work for them.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5

My take on Elias especially after this episode is that he's just smitten with Simon. He admitted he was hitting on him in episode 2. All that digging now seems like he was doing it because Simon rejected his advances and attempts at conversation. That's also the only way I can explain how he so easily dropped his suspcisions, or seemed to, the moment Simon showed him a bit of vulnerability. Plus he seemed jealous watching Simon and Raina together in the hallway.

• Love 1
If Simon is an honest-to-goodness threat, why is he in the FBI trainee program in the first place? This idiotic show.

In fairness, according to this show, all FBI trainees are extremely sketchy people, who also have the ability to fool what one would think is a pretty thorough FBI vetting process.  If Simon was just a normal person with no real flags in his background, he probably wouldn't be admitted to the program.   

• Love 3

I liked this episode a lot -- maybe the most since the premiere. I felt like things happened and it wasn't just "Alex runs and people try to catch her." The whole "dark Web" was sort of contrived, but Alex needed allies. And I loved the fact that it was at a mosque and the optics of it all. It made the FBI look stupid, but in an interesting social commentary-type way.

Caleb continues to look like he could play a high school student on a CW show and Shelby looks like an actual grown up, so here's' to you, Mrs. Robinson. I wish they'd cast someone who looks more age appropriate. If you want to look like a human adult man, you don't steal hairstyling tips from Chord Overstreet.

I've switched my suspicion about the bomber back to Ryan, based on the How To Get Away With Murder school of mysteries: It always is who you think it is. Someone started to frame Alex "the day she walked into Quantico." Ryan was the only one she knew -- he sat next to her on the flight, he got "close" to her and it all looks like it was part of his sekrit undercover operation. Unfortunately, this probably means the bombing was A Big Conspiracy, with Ryan just carrying it out (under orders from Agent Jacob/Mark Pellegrino or someone). But I now think Caleb is a red herring, as are Simon and Shelby. The rest of the characters don't know Alex well enough.

• Love 1

My take on Elias especially after this episode is that he's just smitten with Simon. He admitted he was hitting on him in episode 2. All that digging now seems like he was doing it because Simon rejected his advances and attempts at conversation. That's also the only way I can explain how he so easily dropped his suspcisions, or seemed to, the moment Simon showed him a bit of vulnerability. Plus he seemed jealous watching Simon and Raina together in the hallway.

What I don't understand is that Elias has suspected almost from the beginning that Simon really isn't gay.  So once he found that out, why is he continuing to stalk him?  Because it offends him as "a gay man who has actually done things with men" to see someone pretending to be gay?  Why continue to lurk in shadows and be in Simon's face seemingly every waking moment?  He shouldn't have continually hung around with this disapproving "I know your secret and I'm going to tell" look all the time.  Either he should have taken the dump or he should have gotten off the pot.  Go to Liam and Miranda and tell them that Simon's pretending to be gay, or just leave well enough alone.  He's a creep.

I don't know this actor at all, but I've seen others raving about him.  He was apparently on the Flash?  Did he have these weird mannerisms and flinty voice over on the Flash as well?

• Love 1

Caleb continues to look like he could play a high school student on a CW show and Shelby looks like an actual grown up, 

These two crack me up, he always calls her Taylor Swift or Katherine Heigl while he's negligibly more masculine than she is!  And then she bangs him!  I couldn't watch that scene with all its Unbearable Blondness of Being.

• Love 2
In fairness, according to this show, all FBI trainees are extremely sketchy people, who also have the ability to fool what one would think is a pretty thorough FBI vetting process.

Yes, but you'd think if a fellow trainee felt there was a real threat, s/he'd tell someone. But that would wreck the show.

It's all so stupid.

• Love 1

Oh, boy.  I'm not the the biggest fan of the "hate-sex" concept, but I can see the appeal and it does work for me on some occasions.  But, man, I think the Shelby/Caleb stuff might have been the dumbest yet.  I mean, he was actively sabotaging her mission here.  At he just been pranking her or being a jerk, I could roll with it, but I would think she'd have been furious over him making her look bad.  Instead, she... finds it hot!  Boo!  I mostly like Shelby, but that trait sucks.  Plus, those two have no sexual chemistry.  Probably Graham Rogers has a whiny voice (ugh, still remember Revolution), so he's sounds more like he'd work as a younger brother, then a love interest.  Great, now I"m grossing myself out.

Meanwhile, Alex and Booth go for Round 2, and it's more of a typical slo-mo, "romantic" style kind of thing.  Didn't place it at first, but after seeing the clip, yeah, I think they at least borrowed some of that from Out of Sight.  Whatever.  I'll admit that I'm pretty much just dipping into the shallow pool now, because the only hook-up I want to see would be Alex/Shelby.  They can bring the handcuffs too.

So, Elias' creeping pays off, and finally gets proof Simon was lying about having a boyfriend/being gay.  Simon is now claiming that he is former IDF, and the trauma from that experience, has made him have to assume other identities or something.  I think he might be telling the truth on some levels, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is still more to this.  And, again, according to the future, something is going to get him tossed.  So far, we haven't check in on Elias yet either, so I wonder if he's going to have anything to do with this.

Nimah and Raina are forced to keep switching each hour, but managed to pass the mission.  And, it looks like it's Raina that Simon is attracted too, and Nimah is going to help, I guess.  They'd kind of be perfect for each other, I think.

The mosque reveal was nice, but I kind of think that in real life, The FBI would a risk public outcry and go in anyway.  I think like a terrorist attack of this magnitude , would make them throw all caution and public image to the wind. 

Strange that Natalie apparently wasn't needed for this mission, even though I didn't miss her.  Meanwhile, I noticed they kept showing some other guy whose name I don't know, and it sounded like he past too.  What's his deal?

This show is so silly, but at this point, I've already accepted that I'm only really here to stare at Priyanka Chopra and Johanna Brady.

• Love 2

What I don't understand is that Elias has suspected almost from the beginning that Simon really isn't gay.  So once he found that out, why is he continuing to stalk him?  Because it offends him as "a gay man who has actually done things with men" to see someone pretending to be gay?  Why continue to lurk in shadows and be in Simon's face seemingly every waking moment?  He shouldn't have continually hung around with this disapproving "I know your secret and I'm going to tell" look all the time.  Either he should have taken the dump or he should have gotten off the pot.  Go to Liam and Miranda and tell them that Simon's pretending to be gay, or just leave well enough alone.  He's a creep.

I don't know this actor at all, but I've seen others raving about him.  He was apparently on the Flash?  Did he have these weird mannerisms and flinty voice over on the Flash as well?

Oh I agree I just think the points you raise are there because the show is doing a bad job explaining or showing his motivations. I guess he's a lover scorned type but it certainly doesn't paint the character in a good light to be that petty and now that he's the only real gay character on the show that isn't such a great thing to do. And yeah what was with that last bit of his speech about being with men recently. I mean we get it he's gay. That line was just so clunky. As a gay man myself if I were berating someone for pretending to be gay I'd go with the first 2 things he brought up, the bullying and fighting for equality. I don't see how sleeping with a man recently factors in. I also couldn't tell if he was implying he had slept with Max while Simon was out or not. 

Re Rick Cosnett. He was actually wonderful on The Flash. He also played a rather fey evil Dr on the Vampire Diaries and was nowhere near as weird as Elias is. The mannerisms and voice seem to be very much an Elias thing. So either the character is calling for that or the writing & directing are doing a poor job fleshing out the character. I'm thinking it is the latter because he's a good actor. 

The mosque reveal was nice, but I kind of think that in real life, The FBI would a risk public outcry and go in anyway.  I think like a terrorist attack of this magnitude , would make them throw all caution and public image to the wind.

Especially since they would have caught their terrorist as a result.

True but how many people have seen that movie? ( I haven't). It's a seventeen year old movie after all.

Not gonna divulge my age but I have seen it on the big screen and small. Great movie, watch if you can. It did bug me they were obviously trying to recreate that scene. I am not a J. LO fan, but George Clooney, the music, atmosphere, the way Soderbergh shot that scene, masterful.

Their sad attempt to recreate, not sexy at all! Only saving grace was when agent car sex took his shirt off my mind wandered away from how unrealistic the entire show is. I am stuck now though gotta see who the real baddie is, no matter how cringe worthy this series gets.

• Love 1
I am not a J. LO fan, but George Clooney, the music, atmosphere, the way Soderbergh shot that scene, masterful.

It's a solid movie, and visually distinctive, which is why ripping it off serves only to remind how generally crappy this show is.  It also reruns regularly on basic cable so you young whippersnappers should check it out.

• Love 3

And another thing:  Elias will always be the uber-criminal mastermind from Person of Interest.  How dare they appropriate that name for this clutzburger of an FBI agent?

Agreed, these people are a complete joke compared to him.

On the subject of the twins, the justification for this whole secret training program was absurd, but that was pretty much expected.

I still don't get what the plan is. One twin infiltrates, and the other reports back to the FBI? Can't just one of them do that?

Putting aside the fact this plot is literally ripped from a Big Brother twist (right down to "you only have minutes to update each other") it's not entirety without merit.  If you're on a deep cover assignment, contacting your handler risks blowing your cover.  Someone starts to notice you disappearing or your target is suspicious of you, has you followed and you're done.  If you have a twin, you can always be with someone in your cell or by that drug kingpin's side so it's less likely they suspect you leaking info to the FBI.

So, do you go under cover with your twin hidden in your suitcase?  Waiting to pop out and "be you" while you sneak off to report?  What happened to a good, old-fashioned dead drop?  And how is your suitcase-twin going to help allay fears that you are using a dead drop to report back?  Or any of a hundred other non twin-related methods which have worked for centuries?  And isn't it going to arouse suspicion, when inevitably, someone discovers there are two of you?

• Love 1

I really don't get what we're meant to think of Caleb. The dynamic with Shelby seems like it's meant to have romantic tension (obviously, since they had sex this week), but he's too whiny and petty to have bad boy charm, which it sometimes seems like they're trying to give him.

Also, that nasally voice and little boy face. But yeah, Graham Rogers was really miscast for this role.

I think it's hilarious that Alex just happens to have all these sexy modeling photos of her. LOL.

Rick Cosnett is really hot (and GOD he makes me gaydar scream), so I'm hoping they tone down the creepster stuff with him now that Simon has "admitted" he's right.

Although honestly, I  think Simon played him to basically play into this guy's ego- "Yes, you're right and I'm a bad, bad guy...", with the hope that he'll lay off because his curiosity has been satisfied.

Edited by methodwriter85

Rick Cosnett is really hot (and GOD he makes me gaydar scream), so I'm hoping they tone down the creepster stuff with him now that Simon has "admitted" he's right.

It's annoying and I now they're trying to push the shady stuff.

And isn't it going to arouse suspicion, when inevitably, someone discovers there are two of you?

Agreed, it's ridiculous trade-craft, much more vulnerable to problems than the tried-and-true methods.  The only way this makes 'sense' is that it's so absurd and unworkable that nobody would guess that you're doing it.  At least, not until routine surveillance turned up two of you in different places at the same time.  The twin thing is a 'genius' idea only in a world where the FBI can't find the most wanted terrorist suspect since Bin Laden even when they know exactly what she looks like and precisely where she is.  Four times in a row.   Seriously, Agent Cougartown, just retire.

Edited by henripootel

Putting aside the fact this plot is literally ripped from a Big Brother twist (right down to "you only have minutes to update each other") it's not entirety without merit.  If you're on a deep cover assignment, contacting your handler risks blowing your cover.  Someone starts to notice you disappearing or your target is suspicious of you, has you followed and you're done.  If you have a twin, you can always be with someone in your cell or by that drug kingpin's side so it's less likely they suspect you leaking info to the FBI.

So, do you go under cover with your twin hidden in your suitcase?  Waiting to pop out and "be you" while you sneak off to report?  What happened to a good, old-fashioned dead drop?  And how is your suitcase-twin going to help allay fears that you are using a dead drop to report back?  Or any of a hundred other non twin-related methods which have worked for centuries?  And isn't it going to arouse suspicion, when inevitably, someone discovers there are two of you?

Agreed, it's ridiculous trade-craft, much more vulnerable to problems than the tried-and-true methods.  The only way this makes 'sense' is that it's so absurd and unworkable that nobody would guess that you're doing it.  At least, not until routine surveillance turned up two of you in different places at the same time. 

Exactly.  Spies have been able to contact thier handlers for centuries without this whole twin nonsense.  And the logistics of having a whole second person hidden make it more likely you'll be discovered. Especially since (judging by thier head scarves) one of them seems to be left  handed and the other right handed. If they really want a switcheroo,  they should be learning to be ambidextrous. Things like that will get them killed.

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 1

I know! If there was a wink of self-awareness, this show could be a lot of fun. But it's laughable because it takes itself so seriously.

I hate it when shows do that, especially Blindspot and this.