Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

It is in all honesty surprising that there was a plan in place to ensure publication of TWOW prior to Season 6. Less surprising is GRRM botching the plan by being unable to adhere not only to the initial deadline but also the failsafe backup deadline.

I'm not surprised. The sudden and unusual (imo) big cliffhang'palooza at the end of S5 made me think that it was at the very least a courtesy made by D/D/HBO to GRR Martin/his publisher; even though I don't know if there was anything formal.

FTW, especially, made no sense for me as a season-ender, considering the constant set watch and the huge plot points that were spoiled during the filming of the previous seasons; at the top of my head, Tyrion meeting Dany and Sansa in Winterfell just for last year. Whatever floating speculation about Jon is right (not-dead, back from the dead, dead-dead, or undead) I think that it would have worked better for the show to at least hint at it and pull the viewers in for the next ride. Imo, D&D's priority was so far what gave the most impact to the show, and I can't see it here since as it is, some elements were to be spoiled on social networks, fan and media blogs instead of being revealed on the show.

Because of this, and a few other elements appearing for me in hindsight and pertaining to the structure/pacing of the whole season (and to a book/S6 spoilers thread) I saw no reason of reporting the massive book spoilage to S6, other than waiting for the publication of WoW before the S6 premiere.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

Not shocked at all, but somewhat disappointed.  I've long felt that if GRRM missed this deadline there was little hope that the book series would ever be finished.  There will never again be such a huge incentive for him to finish a book as there was for this.  Think of all the money that was left on the table by not being able to offer this book before the start of Season 6.  His publishers must have been beside themselves.  Also, think of his pride, the tacit commitment to fans to tell the story first, in his own words.   If this didn't light a fire under him, it's hard to imagine what will   Depending how close it is to being done, he may end up finishing up TWOW, but after the whole tale has been completed on HBO, it's hard to imagine him finding the spark and will to complete the books.  If true, it will be a shame, as I would have like to see how he brought the series to a conclusion.  

• Love 3

Returning April 24th. On another topic, AV Club is going to single reviews, what be the verdict here? (I'm guessing staying as is)

I think (without having talked to my other esteemed mods) that we'll keep it as is. There's just too much backstory garnered from the books that could inadvertently spoil non-book readers. I'll get back to you with a consensus. :)

• Love 1

From BBC News

Game of Thrones: Storm Gertrude rips up Dark Hedges trees

I believe these are the trees we see at the end of the Season 2 premiere. Gendry and Arya hop on board the back of a wagon that is part of the Night's Watch caravan heading out of Kings Landing on the Kingsroad.

The good news, such as it is, is that "only" 2 trees were lost and 1 badly damaged.  Still, the article notes there were once 150 trees and now there are only 90.

From BBC News

Game of Thrones: Storm Gertrude rips up Dark Hedges trees

I believe these are the trees we see at the end of the Season 2 premiere. Gendry and Arya hop on board the back of a wagon that is part of the Night's Watch caravan heading out of Kings Landing on the Kingsroad.

Ah ha! You're right about when & where it appeared in GoT. I read another article about this a few days ago, and couldn't place where I'd seen it in the show. Now I can picture it.

Den of Geek published a list of all the information they gleaned from the Season 5 DVD commentaries. It's great. Be warned, though: #109 is a TWOW spoiler. Sample tidbit:

85. Kristofer Hivju (Tormund) broke all four of the prop sticks he was given to beat the Lord of Bones to death with in episode eight.

Hee.

• Love 1

Not actually about the show, but everyone raise your hand if your heart skipped a beat at the death announcement of Beatles producer George Martin today.

But I fully expect such a notice before the book is ended.  Don't think it'll ever happen, at least not by this author.

AimingforYoko, on 14 Mar 2016 - 3:15 PM, said:

I said it on The AV Club and I'm saying it here: Someone needs to set "tits and dragons" to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWKDLGF6v9o

I also said that Deadwood was mostly "tits and saloons", so does anyone think what McShane said might have been slightly hypocritical?  I mean, there have been Gene Autry movies that have had more depth.

• Love 1

EW's GoT issue is coming this Friday, focusing on the ladies (the individual covers are good, if oversharpened, but I think the feisty-girlband-album style group portraits look a bit cheesey)

Sophie in full costuming straddling a chair looked a little silly. EW also went a little crazy with the Photoshop. 

There should be some good stuff in the issue. Last year's had the infamous tidbit about an unnamed actor talking about getting killed off.

There should be some good stuff in the issue. Last year's had the infamous tidbit about an unnamed actor talking about getting killed off.

This year's has something similar. Benioff says that they are hiding plot points from even the cast, and that at a table reading with all the actors there was the awkward moment when "Bryan Cogman is reading the stage directions and it gets to this scene where a character is killed off and the actor goes, 'Noooooooo!!!' We're like fuck, we forgot to tell them." Kinda messed up way for an actor to find out they're off the show. I would assume it is a minor character, though, if they didn't get the Soprano walk. 

• Love 2

Info:

Apr. 7th (tonight): Liam Cunningham on Conan O’Brien
Apr. 11th: Sophie Turner on Conan
Apr. 12th: John Bradley on Conan
Apr. 13th: Maisie Williams on Late Night with Seth Meyers
Apr. 14th: Emilia Clarke on Conan

Is it me or does Liam Cunningham seem to be everywhere promoting this season? I swear, I've seen more from him than any other cast member. On the one hand, he's a great choice for it because he's one of the actors who seems to be the most genuinely enthusiastic about the show and is really good building excitement without really giving away any details or spoilers. On the other, I'm starting to get a little concerned that he's getting a push into the spotlight because Davos is on his way out. I really hope I'm wrong though, I've come to love Davos, in large part due to Cunningham's performance. At this point I think there are few characters whose death would be sadder for me.

• Love 7
(edited)

Is it me or does Liam Cunningham seem to be everywhere promoting this season? I swear, I've seen more from him than any other cast member. On the one hand, he's a great choice for it because he's one of the actors who seems to be the most genuinely enthusiastic about the show and is really good building excitement without really giving away any details or spoilers. On the other, I'm starting to get a little concerned that he's getting a push into the spotlight because Davos is on his way out. I really hope I'm wrong though, I've come to love Davos, in large part due to Cunningham's performance. At this point I think there are few characters whose death would be sadder for me.

I feel exactly the same way.

Edited by Avaleigh

I don't do facebook, but a person on WOTW states:

Sophie just reiterated that she has been waiting for this storyline for her character since season 1. Said this season is less about “Dark Sansa” and more about Sansa trying to convince people that she knows how to play the game, isn’t a dumb little girl, and is worth following.

2nd thing the actor playing Roose said:

he did all his scenes in the summer.

Edited by GrailKing