Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: The Verdict

Claire is excited to give Haley and Alex a great experience for "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" but the staff is not making it easy, and Phil takes Luke and Manny's class out for community service day, which becomes a teachable moment in more ways than one. Elsewhere, Gloria is thrilled to be on jury duty leaving Jay to help out at Joe's pre-school and he is not happy about it at all.

Isn't Claire working at her father's business because he's grooming her to take over for him one day? She's doing a horrible job and that company is doomed based on what I saw tonight. She has no connections with the staff, doesn't know who they are, doesn't know anything much, can't figure out simple problems when they arise, what does she do there all day? I found nothing about her day at work funny.

Isn't Mitchell still jobless? Maybe he should go try to take over. Even Hayley might be better off being groomed to take over from Jay? Or Manny? Anyone but Claire it seems like. lol

I liked seeing Gloria's jury duty, she was hilarious claiming they were all guilty because of the hair and the guy that ran out of court because she said he was guilty. 

I missed not seeing Dylan. :(

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 4

Isn't Claire working at her father's business because he's grooming her to take over for him one day? She's doing a horrible job and that company is doomed based on what I saw tonight. She has no connections with the staff, doesn't know who they are, doesn't know anything much, can't figure out simple problems when they arise, what does she do there all day? I found nothing about her day at work funny.

I find nothing funny about her most of the time.  She tries too hard or something - I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like the character.

It was an OK episode for me, and that is NOT a compliment.   This show has really gone down the tubes.

MF's strength was always in the interaction between the 3 families - whether they were on vacation together, at a restaurant, at Jays for dinner (are they even doing to do a Halloween show this year?).  Now there is hardly any interaction between the families and the show has suffered because of it. I don't know why they changed the formula but sometimes I'm feel like I'm watching 3 different shows.

I think this may be the last season. 

From your mouth to the networks ears please! I watch this show just not out if habit, don't believe I have laughed any if at all this season. Except for Dylan. Oh and when I say I watch I am usually on my tablet not even really paying attention.

• Love 1

Claire has really been established as a moron in Jay's business. Honestly, I agree, I don't know how he expects to leave her the business. Her professional skills are a joke, she has no connection with any employees and she is out of touch with the closet business. Its the classic: "I'm going to groom you to take over the business one day." Then the child of the founder screws it up without even trying. Claire being serious, I get but this clueless when she has been working and learning the company for almost three years. I don't think so. A 2 hour lunch? How do I work for this school? 

• Love 5
I enjoyed Luke figuring out the scam because he's usually not that bright.

But wasn't he wrong in the end?  Granted  I was not paying much attention.

That's about it. I do not find SV funny so the court stuff all fell flat for me.

Ditto.  Until she stops screaming her lines and exaggerating her accent, I can barely tolerate her scenes.  And she is turning into one of those characters who is always right, mostly with Jay & Manny or Cam & Mitchell, she always seems to be teaching them a lesson lately.

• Love 1

I find nothing funny about her most of the time.  She tries too hard or something - I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like the character.

It's Phil that tries too hard. When we see Phil at work, he'll shown meticulously planning something elaborate that could have worked, but something unexpected goes wrong. Nevertheless, it's established that he is quite good at his job (even in the early years, when "successful realtor" took a bit of suspension of disbelief because of the state of the housing market in the real world). 

Claire is terrible at her job, and doesn't try, or only tries status seeking things that she's not ready for, like design pitches or hosting a retirement party. None of this is consistent with the early version of her character where she was the practical, common sense one that kept Phil anchored and knew what was going on with everyone. I think the writers have just decided they hate her -- she's the butt of every joke in her stories now.

Jay being so put upon by spending a day at his kid's school was pretty annoying.

Also, Claire doesn't remember her OB/GYN from her last pregnancy? Of course, she had hit her head at that point, because she forgot how doors work.

So many tiresome interactions. The writers really don't know how to represent Cam being a teacher. He may have a planning period before/after lunch, but it's not free time and teachers really aren't allowed to just leave school during the day. But, why weren't any of the kids in school? Also, Phil and his 'life lessons' was just bothersome. And, would Alex leave campus for 'take your daughter to work day'? Probably not. I did appreciate that Gloria wanted to serve on a jury-far too often it's about getting out of jury duty. And the daycare just seemed like a missed opportunity. I would have loved for Jay to realize how much he liked kids and that maybe he missed a lot by not being around for Claire and Mitchell. If I worked for Jay I would probably have to speak to him about keeping his daughter away from me as she is so annoying...

• Love 1

Alex would not even be invited to a take your child (no longer daughter, at least in my company) to work day since there are age limits.

Exactly! She is a freshman in college. Now, if Alex was doing a report on her mother's job for a class, ok that would work otherwise only Luke is really only qualified for that kind of day. 

• Love 1

Manic!Claire is my least favorite Claire, so this was not my favorite episode. I had forgotten that Joe went to The Learning Barn.

I did laugh when Phil turned out to be right, though I suspected he might be with the "Mr. Real Estate." That would be one quick-thinking con artist to come up with that after seeing his face on a bench. I did like how it played on the con artist trope, though -- a moment of clever wordplay in a half-hour of mostly forgettable comedy.

Also, Gloria at the real trial was hilarious. Gloria as fake judge/lawyer...not so much.

I'm a pushover, but I enjoyed it. The only part I didn't like was Claire's work day. It was a knock off of many other sitcom plots, which wouldn't have been my issue if that part had been funny;  but Mary Tyler Moore did it much, much better. Ok  "three Herms" may have been amusing

"NYU, UCLA, or KFC" cornball, but I liked it.

I liked the Raymond Jamarcus bit with Gloria getting the names wrong.  "Roland and Mahjarcus." "Radar and Jamima." It would have been funnier for me if Raymond had had a weird name like all their other friends.... Pepper etc. I like Sofia, but her accent EEZ gahteen THEE-kur. I liked that Mitch and Cam both thought the other should be The Raymond if they broke up.

"See this as a great opportunity..."

"...to get hepatitis?"

"What did you just see?"

"A squirrel eating a bandaid."

"Are you sure you can get all these groceries home by yourself?"

"I'm kinda scared, I've never driven groceries home before."

"Jamarcus got all the friends; and Raymond got the confidence to go shopping in his pajamas."

I like Vicki Lewis as the hippy teacher.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

I didn't understand how the Dr. had his car there if he asked Phil for cab fare and why he was calling that dude "Mr. Sportcoat."

Also, who takes two adult daughters to "take your kid to work" day? And where were the other kids?

• Love 1

I enjoyed the first few episodes this season but I agree, this episode did nothing for me. You're right, whoever suggested that making Claire so incompetent is inconsistent with her character. And the overly manic Claire, ugh. Even the Phil part left me gold, and I love Phil.

I also liked Gloria at court.

The joke about Cam being paid so little doesn't really work where I live, where teachers are considered to be quite well paid. Unless that was the joke?

Teachers being underpaid in the US is a TV trope, to the point that I was part of a discussion in a other show thread (possibly The Middle) wondering if it was true. Most posters said it might have been at one time and maybe in some poorer districts, but mostly they are paid fairly. But the trope remains. He'll, I live in Ontario and teachers make $60000+ and still go on strike ( or threaten to) every few years because they're so hard done by.

But I digress...

I liked the Gloria storyline, and I dislike Gloria, mostly because she snarls all her lines and yes, she is always right.

Hated the Claire storyline. Why is she being painted as an imbecile? And no, adult kids don't come to "take your daughter to work day" and yes, where were the other employees' daughters? This is the same Claire who raised three kids (and Phil), was an active school volunteer, petitioned town council for a stop sign, and ran for council herself? Surely she has duties at her job that she is good at, why not show the girls what she actually does instead of faking that she's the company president? And doesn't Haley have a job?

I enjoyed Phil's storyline too and felt his pain trying to get the guy to say something that would trigger his memory of who he was, but all he gets is replies of "same-o, same-o". I once couldn't remember a tertiary friend's boyfriend's last name, so I asked her how he spells it. She replies, "Just like it sounds." I think she was on to me.

The joke about Cam being paid so little doesn't really work where I live, where teachers are considered to be quite well paid. Unless that was the joke?

Its always the joke, when has a TV show, especially a sitcom ever depicted teachers realistically? They are either making no money, can magically have free time when they want it. The principals or school board members are over bearing micromanagers. Unions don't exist. You never see them making lesson plans and they don't have classrooms. They are used for storing stuff for custodial. Because its funny! When its not. 

Teachers being underpaid in the US is a TV trope, to the point that I was part of a discussion in a other show thread (possibly The Middle) wondering if it was true. Most posters said it might have been at one time and maybe in some poorer districts, but mostly they are paid fairly. But the trope remains. He'll, I live in Ontario and teachers make $60000+ and still go on strike ( or threaten to) every few years because they're so hard done by.

But I digress...

I liked the Gloria storyline, and I dislike Gloria, mostly because she snarls all her lines and yes, she is always right.

Hated the Claire storyline. Why is she being painted as an imbecile? And no, adult kids don't come to "take your daughter to work day" and yes, where were the other employees' daughters? This is the same Claire who raised three kids (and Phil), was an active school volunteer, petitioned town council for a stop sign, and ran for council herself? Surely she has duties at her job that she is good at, why not show the girls what she actually does instead of faking that she's the company president? And doesn't Haley have a job?

I enjoyed Phil's storyline too and felt his pain trying to get the guy to say something that would trigger his memory of who he was, but all he gets is replies of "same-o, same-o". I once couldn't remember a tertiary friend's boyfriend's last name, so I asked her how he spells it. She replies, "Just like it sounds." I think she was on to me.

Yes THIS! 

Sorry I make too many Brian Regan references, but here goes on the name thing, POOR PHIL. How about the, "Hey ,,,you" "Hi .... buck.... a -roo" or "sport?" And as mentioned, there's the " how do you spell that?" which can be met with a stern "A...M.... Y..." or "W...h...i...t...e.." or "just like it sounds" as above. The only worse one is "hey sir"...... "It's MA'AM!"....  There's no coming back from that, :)

"....your house in..."

"..... time for dinner"  Poor Phil.

Did anyone see /hear why the Dr had his car at the end?

What bugged me was when Claire fell on the melted ice cream, not one of her employees ran up to offer help... or check on her. Only her daughters went up to her and she fell pretty hard. But even on an easy fall, if there is such a thing, some employee should have at least offered a hand getting up sheesh.

Edited by ari333

Well, the "how do you spell your name?" even if it's an obvious one like White, can be met with "oh yeah, someone at work spells it Whyte and I just can't keep it straight anymore, brain cramp, har har!"

Once you hit middle age, you can always claim "senior moment".

• Love 1

What bugged me was when Claire fell on the melted ice cream, not one of her employees ran up to offer help... or check on her. Only her daughters went up to her and she fell pretty hard. But even on an easy fall, if there is such a thing, some employee should have at least offered a hand getting up sheesh.

Exactly! It was also along of the lines of: "Oh look, she fell, hey look! Popcorn!" Its not funny, I one time almost tripped in an office building and three people I never even talked to asked if I was ok. The writers think they are being funny but they are not. Write the characters to fit the plot when the plot doesn't make sense to begin with. Two grown daughters and one is 21, why are they going to work with her? Of course, Cam is a champion winning football coach and his office is treated like a supply closet and he has two lunch hours. Here is another thing, don't Cam and Mitch have some type of savings? Cam might be a spend thrift when he gets a little bit of extra money but they have never been depicted as throwing money away. 

• Love 1

I didn't understand how the Dr. had his car there if he asked Phil for cab fare and why he was calling that dude "Mr. Sportcoat."

Also, who takes two adult daughters to "take your kid to work" day? And where were the other kids?

Good questions on both counts. His car got towed. Why is it back? Maybe he was driving by, saw "Mr Sportcoat," and pulled over to talk to him. But if this did happen, how did he get his car back so quickly from being towed? This is all a bit wonky. Re calling the guy "Mr Sportcoat," it seems like the doctor just calls people by nicknames.

And there should have been other daughters at work. Maybe it really wasn't Take-Your-Daughter-to-Work Day.

(BTW, I love Brian Regan.)

And doesn't Haley have a job?

Maybe she had another zit and couldn't go to work.

I don't get too concerned with why people aren't at work or at school. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I love Gloria and think she's always funny. Sofia Vergara has great comic timing, and the accent doesn't bother me. 

Julie Bowen is great at physical comedy. I sure was getting impatient with Claire for trying too hard to impress her daughters. Also, I can't forgive her for ordering an ice cream cake, the worst kind of cake.

Love the preschool teacher. It was hilarious when she was treating Jay like a child and his assistant like a parent. "Margaret, don't turn around…"

I had forgotten that Joe went to The Learning Barn.

You mean, The Learnin' Barn.

• Love 2

~Squeaky voice from the corner~ I really liked most of the episode. I even liked Gloria at court. My favorite part was probably Mitchell and Cam after shopping. For some reason Cam doesn't think Mitchell is capable of "domestic duties". I know he's not been at home doing alot but he's not an idiot. I do agree though that the show has run it's course.

What I didn't like was Claire at work. Except for the speech about how the girls had always admired her. That was sweet.

Vicki Lewis sure has changed physically. I didn't even recognize her until someone mentioned her name.

• Love 2

A mint chocolate chip ice cream cake would not be the worst kind of cake...except for work, of course. There could be health reasons that would keep a lot of people from having some and, yes, freezer issues. Not planning a kid's birthday party there, Claire.

From the perspective of an eight (?) year old, Cam doesn't make much, but Lily is hardly a reliable judge of salaries. And they probably do have a challenge stretching a decent salary in that household, what with buying the upstairs, Mitch having iffy employment opportunities, and other expenses (like locker decorations--doubt Cam is reimbursed for that--and party supplies)--cheap cereal days aside.

Eh to this episode. Yeah, why aren't the kids in school (in Haley's case, work)--except for any other daughters other than Claire's??

I guess Jay wasn't very close to Herm either or else he could've shown up for his retirement party. The party was moved up because of the cake, but the pre-school might've gotten out early.

I thought Cam was supposed to be compassionate Mr. Nice Guy? Not when a party with his friends is on the line, apparently. And Cam had been doing so well not annoying me this season...

(even in the early years, when "successful realtor" took a bit of suspension of disbelief because of the state of the housing market in the real world).

Phil probably would have started out in the 1990s. With the dot-com boom and the economy on an upswing, he would have no problems selling properties in Southern California.

Really Claire seems like a disaster at her job, if she ever took over the company I imagine everyone quitting it's so bad.

I don't think they are portraying her as lacking intelligence, as someone mentioned. She just has few to no interpersonal skills.

Something about this show and ice cream cakes ????

A mint chocolate chip ice cream cake would not be the worst kind of cake...except for work, of course. There could be health reasons that would keep a lot of people from having some and, yes, freezer issues. Not planning a kid's birthday party there, Claire.

I don't like ice cream cakes, so to me they're the worst kind.

I have a different take on Claire's situation. i feel that neither her father nor anyone else at the company ever gave her a chance. Jay was used to doing things a certain way and he never really supported her (there were odd moments but they were private) and he has never given the staff the idea that his daughter has good ideas and should be respected.

And why should she know about throwing a great retirement party? Usually those things are put together by co-workers and even then there is no absolute way to do it. I also didn't think it was out of line last week when she suggested new ideas. I would expect the owners of the company to come up with new ideas and to be listened to. I actually was surprised that a closet company, even a big one would have teams of people designing, it seems kind of cost prohibitive. 

I used to really love Phil, but they have made him kind of child like now and I would be embarrassed to be married to someone who acted less mature than my kids. He is a really sweet guy, but his antics would get old pretty fast. Same thing with Cam and Gloria with the yelling and threatening.

• Love 2

....... Isn't Mitchell still jobless? Maybe he should go try to take over. .....

This would actually be a somewhat decent storyline for the season.  Not likely though.  This episode was mostly designed to "highlight" the Julie Bowen's alleged slapstick comedic skills.  Fail.

It was an OK episode for me, and that is NOT a compliment.   This show has really gone down the tubes.

MF's strength was always in the interaction between the 3 families - whether they were on vacation together, at a restaurant, at Jays for dinner (are they even doing to do a Halloween show this year?).  Now there is hardly any interaction between the families and the show has suffered because of it. I don't know why they changed the formula but sometimes I'm feel like I'm watching 3 different shows.

If anything, there have been more attempts this season to drive interaction. It's still the highest rated program on ABC.  They aren't going to cancel it.  Network TV generally locks in talent for 7 years, though I think contracts are already in place for Season 8.

But wasn't he wrong in the end?  Granted  I was not paying much attention.

Ditto.  Until she stops screaming her lines and exaggerating her accent, I can barely tolerate her scenes.  And she is turning into one of those characters who is always right, mostly with Jay & Manny or Cam & Mitchell, she always seems to be teaching them a lesson lately.

She's likely to never stop the screaming. I did notice during this episode that her accent was less forced/faked.  When she would make her comments, the first few words would be heavily accented, then sound normal, then the last word would be crazily accented.  Not so much her courts scenes, but the handful of lines she had with family.  It was noticeable.

Really Claire seems like a disaster at her job, if she ever took over the company I imagine everyone quitting it's so bad.

I don't think they are portraying her as lacking intelligence, as someone mentioned. She just has few to no interpersonal skills.

Something about this show and ice cream cakes ????

What really made the story not work was first of all: There would have been more notice of Herm's retirement. You just don't in one day go: "Oh hey, we need a cake, supplies and everyone needs to drop everything and get this party going." Another thing was why everyone was against the mint chip. I mean Claire wants that type of ice cream cake and everyone acts like she ordered the black plague. Need a reason why everyone gives the big stink eye as soon as it was mentioned. Another thing is, Claire should have known better about getting an ice cream cake. You have to be able to keep it cold, they were writing Claire like she was doing a birthday party for an 8 year old. Also, I can get Claire walking into the doors but can't open the file cabinets, falling and really hurting herself. Not to mention the big bang in the glass doors and only her daughters come to see if she ok? Its like the company is: "That Claire, ignore her and maybe she'll go away." 

I also wish they would decide on what to do with Luke. One minute he's so stupid he can't figure out how to tie his shoes, the next he is seeing scam artists everywhere and thinks his dad is too stupid to see it. Phil could have just said to the doctor: "I'm sorry, I can't place you right now." You couldn't fault him, the doctor lost hair and gained 40 lbs in 15 years, it happens. As for his car magically showing up in that spot after being tow. That made no sense, also why would he come back to the area? Too many holes, funny moments but way too many holes.

• Love 3

They could have had the doctor come back to see if Phil was still there to repay him? And then obviously decide not to after Phil gets the kids to dump garbage in his car. (Was there a decent reason why those boys were there in the first place? When Haley had "community service" it was court appointed. Phil just volunteered on a school day?)

They have shown Claire doing well in the job, too--working on contracts, getting work and dealing with clients--but she's just inept at the office...or when an episode needs it, I guess.

They could have had the doctor come back to see if Phil was still there to repay him? And then obviously decide not to after Phil gets the kids to dump garbage in his car. (Was there a decent reason why those boys were there in the first place? When Haley had "community service" it was court appointed. Phil just volunteered on a school day?)

They have shown Claire doing well in the job, too--working on contracts, getting work and dealing with clients--but she's just inept at the office...or when an episode needs it, I guess.

Phil said that Luke and the other boys needed it to graduate some day. Which is true, some schools require community service hours. I had to do 12 hours back in the 90s and I finished it up in two weekends and I was 16 at the time. Manny ended up saying he finished his a week ago but enjoyed cleaning up the community.  As for Claire, yeah, they write her to whatever the story has to be. In this case, Claire is left is charged and screws everything up. Similar to last week with her trying to do the closet ideas and ends up looking like an idiot because she didn't do her research on her own company and the birdseed incident. Then go back to last season with Mitchell helping out and everyone hating Claire because they could. It isn't funny because other times she is shown very confident and doing a good job. Yet here, she ends up like Phil and gets put in a very stupid situation without even trying. I think Jay said it best: "I was gone for 30 seconds, how did you do this?" 

What bugged me was when Claire fell on the melted ice cream, not one of her employees ran up to offer help... or check on her.

That was a hard fall to take and have no one budge an inch to help except for the kids. When that happened, this told me Claire wasn't disliked or disrespected by staff. It told me that the staff HATE her; ice cold hatred. And that ain't funny. 

And by the way, why would anyone bother to ask 'the boss' what flavor cake to get? Surely cake buying guy is capable of getting a vanilla or chocolate sheet cake without checking in with the boss. Would anyone have bothered to ask Jay this? Since Claire's that loathed that no one cared whether she got a concussion in the fall, it makes no sense anyone would ask her about a party she clearly had no role in planning anyway.

Gloria and Phil weren't up to anything interesting in this episode.

When it came to Cam and Mitchell, I couldn't help but think that if they got divorced, neither of them would end up with the friends. They both seem like they would be wet blankets at any party. One is cursed with the Prichard up-tightness. The other is overly sensitive, shrill and ready to brag/be offended at the drop of a hat.

Edited by maplebrew
  • Love 1

That was a hard fall to take and have no one budge an inch to help except for the kids. When that happened, this told me Claire wasn't disliked or disrespected by staff. It told me that the staff HATE her; ice cold hatred. And that ain't funny.

And by the way, why would anyone bother to ask 'the boss' what flavor cake to get? Surely cake buying guy is capable of getting a vanilla or chocolate sheet cake without checking in with the boss. Would anyone have bothered to ask Jay this? Since Claire's that loathed that no one cared whether she got a concussion in the fall, it makes no sense anyone would ask her about a party she clearly had no role in planning anyway.

That's why the plot makes no sense, it shows that Claire is hated and really not thought of in any regard. That isn't funny that's both sad and painful. Like I said earlier when she said to get a mint chip cake and everyone acted like she ordered poison. You are trying to tell me that someone wouldn't like mint chip? You are trying to tell me that no one can get a cake on their own so they have to ask Jay all the time? That means these people might be able to build closets but can't make common sense decisions. That company is doomed when Jay retires. Everyone hates Claire and the employees can't use the bathroom without permission.

I don't think they wanted to ask Claire, the guy went in looking for Jay, told Claire why, and Claire decided to be decisive and take charge of the situation even while the employee was trying to get out of the room before she could say anything, so he had to go along with what she wanted even though he thought it was a bad idea.

I also imagine that Jay is the sort of guy who, if he's going to be paying for a cake, is going to make sure that they're getting one he wants.

• Love 2

I can't believe that they think Alex would skip her classes on two minutes' notice to get up to Dunphyville (by greyhound bus?) to watch her mother be a jerk all day.  I guess that got a paycheck for the actress, but it was ridiculous.  And as others have noted, both Alex and Haley are too old for "take your daughters to work" day.  Also as other noted:  where were the other daughters? 

I do start to wonder if they are setting things up for Mitchell to start helping run the company.  Claire could not have been more incompetent or clueless.  Also, Jay used to take plenty of days off in past seasons to do things with Gloria, so it's not like the company depends on him there 365-24-7. 

I thought Alex was already home bc what's his name broke up with her and she "had to" go home.

They showed the skyping at the beginning so I assumed she was back at college, though I guess she could have been

I can't believe that they think Alex would skip her classes on two minutes' notice to get up to Dunphyville (by greyhound bus?) to watch her mother be a jerk all day.  I guess that got a paycheck for the actress, but it was ridiculous.  And as others have noted, both Alex and Haley are too old for "take your daughters to work" day.  Also as other noted:  where were the other daughters? 

I do start to wonder if they are setting things up for Mitchell to start helping run the company.  Claire could not have been more incompetent or clueless.  Also, Jay used to take plenty of days off in past seasons to do things with Gloria, so it's not like the company depends on him there 365-24-7.

Of course Alex and Haley are too old for it. Just another example of Claire though being overeager and trying too hard at everything.

I hadn't thought of Mitch as well coming in to help with the company. Not a bad idea. He and Claire together seem to like teaming up on things

I can't believe that they think Alex would skip her classes on two minutes' notice to get up to Dunphyville (by greyhound bus?) to watch her mother be a jerk all day.

They said that she didn't have any classes after 10 AM that day.

• Love 1

They said that she didn't have any classes after 10 AM that day.

Oy.  How far is the trip home?  And by bus?  Claire, if your children never complete college, it will not entirely be their fault.  At Cal Tech, when you are not in class, you are working on a class assignment.  Often a group assignment. 

Oy.  How far is the trip home?  And by bus?  Claire, if your children never complete college, it will not entirely be their fault.  At Cal Tech, when you are not in class, you are working on a class assignment.  Often a group assignment. 

Haven't they mentioned its only 30 minutes away?  I didn't hear "greyhound" bus.  I figured they meant the normal regular city-type/commuter bus that takes folks across town (though LA is a mess, transit-wise).

Haven't they mentioned its only 30 minutes away?  I didn't hear "greyhound" bus.  I figured they meant the normal regular city-type/commuter bus that takes folks across town (though LA is a mess, transit-wise).

I'm sorry, but you don't call your daughter at college at 8:00 AM in the morning and tell her to come home at 10:00 AM for "take your daughter to work day".

And I had to get around LA in a fifteen-mile distance and back on a work day last month, and it was horrendous! And $110 in cab fare, which was totally fair for the amount of time it took.  (Went past Cal Tech!)

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
Also, Jay used to take plenty of days off in past seasons to do things with Gloria, so it's not like the company depends on him there 365-24-7.

The team could solve things on their own. When Jay wasn't around, they came up with a solution for the storage of the mirrors. 

Jay is the "cake wizard", so they wanted to check with him.  He does great retirement speeches, so they wanted him to do it. . 

Claire is probably fine at what she does at the company, its when she tried to take over for her Dad and show how in charge she was that problems occurred. 

I was a little surprised they had a "Take Your Daughter to Work Day" since it's been "Take Your Child To Work" day for almost a decade. Which brings up the question - who was Cam teaching if the girls were at work with their Mom's and the boys were doing their community service? Usually it's just Grade 9's where I live, but if Lily, Alex and Haley were all invited, in the Modern Family world, it is all ages. Maybe Luke and the other boys decided to get in their community service because they weren't going to learn anything at school that day (learning something significant would mean the girls all missed it and would be at a disadvantage - hence why educators pushed for a unisex "Take Your Child to Work Day").

• Love 1