Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Now, I'm actually shocked.  I know Sly was the favorite, and I thought Tom Hardy was the outsider, but it was Mark Rylance instead.  I did hear he was great, so good for him.

I had no idea that Tom Hardy was married to Charlotte Riley.  I just Netflixed Peaky Blinders months ago, so remembering them both showing up in the second season kind of amuses me.

Whoa, that's the first big surprise of the night! I figured Tom Hardy or Mark Ruffalo.

I enjoyed the Girl Scout cookie bit (although, UNFAIR to all those little Girl Scouts sitting out in the cold in front of the grocery stores and Walmarts trying to sell their cookies!) and the man on the street bit. 

• Love 1

I almost thought it was Mark Ruffalo. That's mean to to him to have another actor with such a close name. lol

For a second, I thought that's who had won--and then the camera went to Rylance.  Not that I was disappointed--I liked both performances and would've been happy had it been Ruffalo.

• Love 2

Or want to be in Girl Scouts?

He's been claiming the youngest isn't his, she was never adopted, he doesn't know how his wife got her. Uh, yeah, your wife shows up with a 6 month old South African child, has to go back to South Africa with her once a year, she lives in your house for 7 years, and you don't ask?

• Love 2

If Leo gets stiffed like that, I will be pissed.

I am sorry, but I have a friend who is obsessed with Leonardo Dicaprio and she has watched all of his Oscar-nominated films today in preparation for his win. I will have sooooo much schadenfreude if he loses. So much.

• Love 5

He's been claiming the youngest isn't his, she was never adopted, he doesn't know how his wife got her. Uh, yeah, your wife shows up with a 6 month old South African child, has to go back to South Africa with her once a year, she lives in your house for 7 years, and you don't ask?

Thanks for the info! I did not know any of this, but it sounds very very interesting and shady.

I am sorry, but I have a friend who is obsessed with Leonardo Dicaprio and she has watched all of his Oscar-nominated films today in preparation for his win. I will have sooooo much schadenfreude if he loses. So much.

No it'll be worse, because it he doesn't we'll be subjected to another year of another Dicaprio movie that the public will be forced to speculate if this is the one that will win it for him. Let him win now so that we don't have to be subjected to another film that's "Oscar worthy." And lately they're getting less subtle and more desperate with its "look at me" moments.

• Love 4

Louis C.K. FTW!!

As for any more upsets--not gonna happen.  I suppose there's an outside shot in Best Actress, but really, Brie's had that award sewn up for a while now.  Leo's due, and by all accounts he gives a great performance.  Despite the warm fuzzies we might've felt for Sly getting this nomination for the role that brought him to our attention forty years ago, can anyone honestly say they felt he was due?  *runs from rotten tomatoes*

• Love 3

The year was a good year for documentaries.  I teared up when watching Amy.  I caught Lisa Vreeland's documentary on Peggy Guggenheim this weekend, which is a worth seeing if you have any interest in art or postwar American culture. 

• Love 1

No it'll be worse, because it he doesn't we'll be subjected to another year of another Dicaprio movie that the public will be forced to speculate if this is the one that will win it for him. Let him win now so that we don't have to be subjected to another film that's "Oscar worthy." And lately they're getting less subtle and more desperate with its "look at me" moments.

While that may be true, I am great at avoiding all of that crap. I would rather the whole Internet meme be true and he never wins, but the person who plays him in a future documentary about him wins for their performance.

• Love 8

Of course, they didn't answer the real question which is who donated the most.  I mean, besides "Suge Knight."  Hey, why else am I here if not to judge actors and actress for how much money they are willing to give to the Girl Scouts.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3