Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I prefer people thanking people in their speech than the scroll. Who actually reads the scroll? And what else are they supposed to say up there if it's not thanking people?

Just thanks to the Academy and then get the hell off the stage.

• Love 2

Starting out with the Screenplay awards, huh?  No surprise that it went to both Spotlight and The Big Short.  I guess the latter shows that you can go from doing goofy Will Ferrell comedies to Oscar glory!

I guess Chris Rock's monologue was the best way to go at it.  Address the real issue about the lack of diversity at the Oscars, but also remind people there are other issues to worry about too.  Plus, call for him to boycott probably wouldn't have helped anything.  And, yeah, it's hard to buy Jada's boycott when I doubt she would have even been invited.

• Love 1

I prefer people thanking people in their speech than the scroll. Who actually reads the scroll? And what else are they supposed to say up there if it's not thanking people?

Anything else!  I have been bored silly with name lists forever.

Think Meryl Streep's fantastic speeches, or many others, the ones we actually remember, and watch later on You Tube to savor.

• Love 1

I am fine with people thanking others in their speeches as well, especially in the more technical categories. I feel like the actors that are pretty much a lock, whom we have seen speech after speech of theirs at pretty much all the award shows could probably say more. I guess I cannot fault people for actually wanting to thank in their speech the people that were important to them.

I think I remember Graham Moore's "be weird" Oscar speech from last year the most.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2

Just thanks to the Academy and then get the hell off the stage.

Why even have a show then? I don't think people should literally just list names, but they should get to say thank you to some people out loud. Those guys that won weren't just reading off a list of names, there were a lot more on the scroll than what they said.

• Love 8

Got some chuckles over the inserting black actors into various clips, although I sadly wonder if it is true that the government would hesitate to save a black astronaut.

Sarah Silverman was so horrible that she actually made me want them to just get to that stupid Spectre song. Speaking of which, since when did Sam Smith grow a beard?

• Love 2

No, before that. It was some jaunty march sounding thing, familiar, but I can't place it.

Normally I would use the opportunity of the first nominated song performance to do chores, but I opted to use the DVR's rewind feature to listen to that song.  What I started to write was "Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit," which I suspect is what most of us who watched Looney Tunes would associate with it.  However, it's Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries."

• Love 2

Jesus Christ Sarah Silverman shut the fuck up already. Who wrote that garbage?

Interesting that The Oscars heard the voices about the controversy and the first five presenters were white.

So there was a tweet, forgive me but I don't remember from where, that showed a pic of Whoopi in her dress and whoever wrote the tweet wrote something like they didn't realize that Oprah had tats. I mean, come ON.

I seriously cannot understand a thing that Sam Smith is singing.

• Love 1

Why even have a show then? I don't think people should literally just list names, but they should get to say thank you to some people out loud. Those guys that won weren't just reading off a list of names, there were a lot more on the scroll than what they said.

Talk about the project, about their experiences, say a general "so many people made this happen and gave me this shot" or tell an anecdote about their involvement, or a story about how it felt to writethesong/rewriteascript/layinthecold/meetahero/fightforthe part.  Basically ANYTHING else!  The scroll is a fabulous idea.

• Love 10

Chris Rock killed that opening monologue. I didn't get Stacey Dash but that's not new.  Is that song from Spectre as bad as it sounded tonight? Acting Oscars...Kate or Rooney?

Forgot about Alicia, good for her.

Edited by jah1986