Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My favorite film won so all is good.  It really came on strong after the SAG ensemble win, but I still wasn't 100% positive it was gonna win, but I still picked it on the Oscar pools I playing in.
See you all next year!(hopefully)

• Love 1

The 2023 Academy Awards: During the Best Actor winner's speech, Will runs onstage and interrupts him. "Yo, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish. But [other nominee] gave one of the best performances of all time!"

Will can even claim that God was the reason he interrupted, just like Kanye, who said "If God ain't want me to run onstage [on behalf of Beyonce], he wouldn't have sat me in the front row." I didn't know that one of God's many duties is seating charts.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

think both look bad, in this scenario. 

Exactly. Two wrongs don't make a right. Rock's joke may have been rude and insensitive, but Will taking it to the point of physical violence was uncalled for. As written, call him out verbally, give him a death glare, but hitting him crosses the line 

• Love 17
36 minutes ago, dmeets said:

I’m still flabbergasted that he used the speech to explain that as a family man, just like Richard Williams, he’ll do anything to protect his family, costars, and the Williams family. That is what he said, right? And then he yukks it up the rest of the night. Fucking hell.

they clapped for him, but I hope some of the folks in that room rip him a new one in post interviews. It’ll be too little too late but I need to know some of them realize what he did was appalling.

Yeah. Him justifying what he did as protecting his family was disgusting. The show started with a very pointed joke from Amy about the sexism of the biopic about Venus and Serena’s success being about their father. I’m guessing that joke went over most of their heads. I did notice that the reaction shots and support for Will came from his generation and older. They probably won’t say anything but it be interesting to hear what younger Hollywood thought. 

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Unfortunately for Will, what could have been a moment criticizing Chris is a moment criticizing Will with the violence. And now he's gonna have to go on an apology tour instead of celebrating his win. Violence is never the answer and, as we've seen, it's gonna create more problems with you instead of the other person. Because now Chris is the victim and he gets off easy with his jab. 

I think both look bad, in this scenario. 

Except nobody is criticising Will. He’s actually being made out to be the hero. He assaulted a presenter at an awards show on live tv and the narrative is that he’s a hero defending his family. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Avabelle said:

Except nobody is criticising Will. He’s actually being made out to be the hero. He assaulted a presenter at an awards show on live tv and the narrative is that he’s a hero defending his family. 

There are people criticizing Will. It's actually mostly on Will. There are articles already coming out about what Will did. There's more people calling out Will on his smack. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

There are people criticizing Will. It's actually mostly on Will. There are articles already coming out about what Will did. There's more people calling out Will on his smack. 

I sincerely hope so.  Will hit a man.  

• Love 12
1 minute ago, JeanJean said:

I might be wrong, but I don't think most people would have seen it as riffing on alopecia, because how many people know Jada S has it?

Was it temporary?  Her scalp seems to be covered by hair stubble all over.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ichbin said:

As far as I can tell he's either lost it, was looking for attention, or couldn't handle the stress of possibly losing the big award of the season.  

Has there been any suggestion that he was high or drunk?  Or is this not likely for him?  Because I admit that was my first thought.

3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, here's where I stand. Chris Rock's jab at Jada was inappropriate. When you're going to joke about someone's insecurities, maybe make sure they're ok with it before you do it. I don't know how well Chris Rock knows Jada or Will, but this is why "edgy" humour is hit or miss. And I've read that this isn't the first time Chris has made a jab about Jada. 

I do not blame Jada or Will for not being ok with the joke. I was fine with Will yelling at Chris about it, even. 

Unfortunately for Will, what could have been a moment criticizing Chris is a moment criticizing Will with the violence. And now he's gonna have to go on an apology tour instead of celebrating his win. Violence is never the answer and, as we've seen, it's gonna create more problems with you instead of the other person. Because now Chris is the victim and he gets off easy with his jab. 

I think both look bad, in this scenario. 

Yep. I've been reading various people on Twitter and they've been pointing out that Chris has gone after Jada in different ways for a long time so I get her and Will feeling that enough was enough. I agree that him standing up and just yelling at Chris would have been fine while hitting him just turned the spotlight around on him in a way he clearly doesn't want. After watching his acceptance speech I will say that he probably does feel embarrassed and regretful about the action though not about Chris been the target. Since Chris has gone after Jada several times they do probably see it as abuse so I don't think that was just made up for tonight but hitting him was the wrong choice and he knows it. 

I wonder if there's some general Hollywood resentment/dislike towards Chris Rock that we haven't heard about and that's why the crowd didn't turn on Will. Will has a general reputation for being well liked and easy to get along so they also may just be giving him the benefit of the doubt in a horribly awkward situation. I can't wait to see how it gets broken down when he does a one on one interview. Will he go 60 Minutes and be serious or try for someone like Jimmy Fallon who will let him talk but keep the atmosphere light?

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
19 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Apparently tonight's show was 30 minutes longer than last year's and they included those 8 "lesser" awards that were left out.

Yeah, but that's because the orchestra didn't play off Will Smith or Kevin Costner.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

He is being criticized on social media. During the award show it was a insular bubble of awkwardness. 

4 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Well, I'm older than Smith and you can count me in with the group that is most definitely against what he did tonight. A man his age should have some self-control.  As far as I can tell he's either lost it, was looking for attention, or couldn't handle the stress of possibly losing the big award of the season.  

I wasn’t making a statement about how he is perceived generationally. Just that we can’t really go but what we saw to know how Hollywood or even the audience felt as a whole. It was very much a the show must go on moment and the producers chose to try and gloss it over. 

Just now, Lady Calypso said:

I think initial reactions may report what he said but I do think subsequent stories are going to criticize Will and the absolute refusal of the Oscars to deal with it in an appropriate way.

As for people in the crowd, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are unaware that it was real/not a bit. Hence the applause. 

Not all of them are close enough to see or hear what went down. It took watching close ups on Twitter for many of us.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Was it temporary?  Her scalp seems to be covered by hair stubble all over.

I don't know. It's not something that was stuck in my head; it was more like when someone mentioned it, I seemed to have read/heard it somewhere before, briefly.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 2

Publicist in Will’s ear — “this can be golden — make it about Richard Williams and standing up for his little girls in the face of bullying and more.  You can turn this into a positive, Will.  Bonus points if you cry”

UGHHHH

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 17
Just now, vb68 said:

All in all, a step up from last year.

Well, in fairness, Covid was responsible for screwing up the last two years, but yeah, this was definitely better.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

As for people in the crowd, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are unaware that it was real/not a bit. Hence the applause. 

I hadn't thought of that but you may be right. Only a small number of the people in attendance were close enough to see and hear what really happened and it's entirely possible that they were as confused as we all were in this thread. The people in the room who weren't up front were probably even more confused since they don't have the best view. Will apologizing to the Academy may have been how many found out that it wasn't a bit after all.

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

I hate when they have elderly performers who are in no shape to give out an award present an award.  It's degrading.

Thank you. I thought at at moments Liza didn't know where she was. It was horrible that they did that. They brought out Katherine Johnson, from "Hidden Figures" to say something at some awards show, she was in her 90s, wheelchair bound, could barely speak, and actually passed away not long after. It's cruel and it is degrading.

• Love 10

Well, at least Will's win has spared us Jada carrying on this year about how her husband was robbed of his award or nomination this time as though any of the other nominees were not just as deserving.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Well, in fairness, Covid was responsible for screwing up the last two years, but yeah, this was definitely better.

The 2020 awards went off hitch-free. The pandemic was brewing but hadn't completely blown up yet. In America at least, the world didn't come to a screeching halt until early March.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Dr.OO7 said:

The 2020 awards went off hitch-free. The pandemic was brewing but hadn't completely blown up yet. In America at least, the world didn't come to a screeching halt until early March.

You're right. I think I was confusing it with the 2020 Emmy's. 

I thought that Amy did particularly well. I wasn't particularly cracked over either Regina or Wanda but neither bothered me. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 7

Chris Rock's joke was out of line, but that didn't give Will Smith an excuse to assault him onstage. He should've been asked to leave at that point. 

This whole spectacle distracted from Questlove's win in the middle of this mess.

The "In Memoriam" segment was terrible and felt like it was more about the performers onstage, instead of those people we lost. So disrespectful.

If this was the new direction the Academy was trying, they need to go back to the drawing board. I'd rather see all the technical awards live than a disaster like this.

On the upside, celebrities that were wasted or wearing bad outfits are probably glad that the Smith/Rock disaster overshadowed any minor gaffes from anyone else.

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

There were a few Tweets from people in the theater while the show was still going on and they said it was even more awkward there.

I'd like to hear from Lupita Nyong'o.  She was right next to them and watching it all.

• Love 12
Just now, OnePlusOne said:

The "In Memoriam" segment was terrible and felt like it was more about the performers onstage, instead of those people we lost. So disrespectful.

Yeah, what was with the cheery song they switched to at one point?

1 minute ago, OnePlusOne said:

If this was the new direction the Academy was trying, they need to go back to the drawing board. I'd rather see all the technical awards live than a disaster like this.

The fact that they cut out the technical awards and STILL went 38 minutes over time says a lot about how they didn't need to cut out the technical awards. We've seen the show not go 38 minutes over even with the other awards still fully shown.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, LisaM said:

I thought that Amy did particularly well. I wasn't particularly cracked other either Regina or Wanda but neither bothered me. 

I'm re-thinking my dislike of Amy Schumer! I love Wanda Sykes, but I think nerves got her, she stumbled a lot. Still love her though!

• Love 9

Will Smith is pathetic. Him and Jada can go fuck themselves.

If someone who isn’t a rich celebrity did what he did they’d be charged. But rich Will and his dumb ass wife can do whatever they want.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 21
9 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Yep. I've been reading various people on Twitter and they've been pointing out that Chris has gone after Jada in different ways for a long time so I get her and Will feeling that enough was enough. I agree that him standing up and just yelling at Chris would have been fine while hitting him just turned the spotlight around on him in a way he clearly doesn't want. After watching his acceptance speech I will say that he probably does feel embarrassed and regretful about the action though not about Chris been the target. Since Chris has gone after Jada several times they do probably see it as abuse so I don't think that was just made up for tonight but hitting him was the wrong choice and he knows it. 

I wonder if there's some general Hollywood resentment/dislike towards Chris Rock that we haven't heard about and that's why the crowd didn't turn on Will. Will has a general reputation for being well liked and easy to get along so they also may just be giving him the benefit of the doubt in a horribly awkward situation. I can't wait to see how it gets broken down when he does a one on one interview. Will he go 60 Minutes and be serious or try for someone like Jimmy Fallon who will let him talk but keep the atmosphere light?

I'm a big fan of both Chris and Will. Chris is one of my favorite comedians, and Will is one of my favorite actors. I do also like Jada. 

I'm a peace and love kinda gal and don't condone violence, but tbh, I'm not as outraged as everyone else is. 

Will is known to be a nice guy. He's never been any altercations I'm aware of. I don't think he's had issues with anyone in his career other than Janet Hubert. And even with that, he was so young and they've since made amends. He's really chummy with everyone else he's worked with. 

Tonight he saw a comedian who has made jokes about him and Jada before make a cheap shot about his wife's appearance and a condition she is sensitive about in front of the entire world. I think he's probably been fine with Chris for years and was laughing along until he realized what Chris just meant and his wife being hurt by it. He felt he had to be protective. Say Will shouldn't have put his hands on Chris and had words with him later. I totally get it, but I don't think he's a bad guy, and I don't know what I would have done in his shoes either. I always thought going after woman's looks publicly is such a low blow and not funny, especially at an awards show when you know Jada must have put in so much time on her dress, jewelry, makeup, nails, everything. Maybe some people just see a beautiful woman (which she is), but she is still human. 

Even though I hope Chris doesn't make a joke like this again, I hope he is okay, not too shaken up and that it doesn't happen again. He did handle everything like a pro. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Figures that the one time I miss getting post live (thanks to a fun Oscar Party!) would be the one where the crazy shit goes down!

Probably will wait a bit to really get the full story here, but I feel like Will would have came off way better if he just simply resorted to yelling at Chris for the joke.  If it was truly tasteless (and it sounds like it might have been), I think many would have understood.  But actually slapping him?  Yeah, that seems a bridge too far.  I doubt anything will come of it (especially I don't see Chris pressing charges), but Will really should be put on notice and attend anger management classes before he works again, although I know that ain't happening.  Until then, I guess everyone better watch themselves if they ever say anything negative about Jada, less you want a random Will to pop up and smack you.

It's too bad that this will likely overshadow some interesting stuff that played like CODA's wins (man, Netflix has to be fuming over not being the first streaming service to win either this or an Emmy), Troy and Ariana's great speeches, now having back-to-back women win best director (even if this one probably caused Sam Elliot to throw something at the television grumble "Damn New Zealanders!  They don't know anything about the American West!  Grrrrr!), and even Riz Ahmed technically being an Oscar winner now! 

Hell, it will even take away from some of the dumber moments like all the jokes that landed with a thud (for my money, Wanda came out the best at least), the worst rendition of We Don't Talk About Bruno, Kevin Costner trying to put everyone asleep, Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa getting groped, and all the "fan" awards basically being hijacked by the Snyder Bros.

It was one hell of a night, at least!

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I wonder if there's some general Hollywood resentment/dislike towards Chris Rock that we haven't heard about and that's why the crowd didn't turn on Will.

I remember that his first hosting turn didn't go well. That was 2005, the year of his infamous riff about the unworthiness of the actors Hollywood puts forward as movie stars, such as Jude Law. It landed awkwardly in the auditorium. Sean Penn came up to present an award later and said, "Forgive my lack of humor, but Jude Law is one of our finest actors," to applause.

(Penn didn't punch anyone, though, and he's been known to do that. Sean Penn, model of restraint!) 

I have a bad opinion of the Smith/Pinkett-Smith couple for several reasons, and while I thought Rock's joke was mean, Smith came out of the night looking worse. Way to shit all over his big night, Jane Campion's, the CODA people's, et cetera.  

6 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

The fact that they cut out the technical awards and STILL went 38 minutes over time says a lot about how they didn't need to cut out the technical awards. We've seen the show not go 38 minutes over even with the other awards still fully shown.

This has been going on forever. They tweak this and that, promising that now the show will be swiftly paced and will end by whatever time, and it never happens. Because when they pull something out, they think it clears them to add MOAR BANTER and other filler.

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, LisaM said:

I thought that Amy did particularly well. I wasn't particularly cracked other either Regina or Wanda but neither bothered me. 

I’m shocking myself, but I thought Amy was great. Let her do it by herself next year.

• Love 11

YAY, CODA won!!! I didn't think Nicole brought anything of Lucy nor the guy who played Desi. If JK Simmons was supposed to be Walter Frawley, FAIL. Amy was a little funny but not at the end. The other two comedians were awful. Here's my 2 cents about the Rock/Smith debacle. First off, I have always loathed Will Smith. He has always seemed to be an egotistical, first class jerk. I didn't know Jada has/had alopecia, I just thought she liked the very short hair look. Many women do. Now. I didn't see what happened, I was in the kitchen, but have read all about it here. All of the comedians who host the Oscars make jokes on the actors in the audience. Every year. People who have brains and know how to behave in public just take it, and if they were really bothered, the thing to do would be to express in private, and with civility, that they didn't appreciate it.

I don't care if Chris Rock has been making jokes about Jada, what Will did was assault, plain and simple. He should have been removed immediately from the building, if not arrested, which he should have been, and if it were up to me, he wouldn't have been given the Oscar. Then, the yelling up to the stage and using profanity also showed just how much of a crude thug he is. That never would be appropriate behavior. He wanted all the attention on him. I did hear, but not see his acceptance speech, where he was talking about being an ambassador of love, etc, and even that was sickening, let alone after he assaulted someone. Also, who does he think he is to say he needs to "protect" the Williams girls? It truly seemed like he was rewarded for his behavior, not only with the Oscar, but it seemed, unlimited time to ramble on about his peaceful, loving ways.

I also thought it inappropriate to have a gospel choir sing spirited hymns and dancing during the Memoriam segment.  The Oscars aren't church, don't need to push Christianity, and the songs were wrong. A nice low key song, played quietly would have been much better.

• Love 18

I thought it looked like Chris Rock knew the joke did not land due to the reaction of the whole audience and was moving on to whatever he was going to say next. There was a moment in the unedited video when I thought Chris seeing Will come onstage may have thought they would riff off each other or something. It seemed like a lukewarm response from the rest of the audience. It was a bad joke, but a lot of these celebrities get mocked by whatever comedians are onstage at award shows. Will's reaction was horrible and messed up. I do not care if Chris has made jokes about Will and Jada before. Other public figures have jokes made about them repeatedly, but do not go around hitting people because of it. Will's speech was basically gaslighting.

I was pleased with the Coda wins. I really enjoyed that movie. 

I was glad Ariana DeBose won, even if I am the one person who just does not like West Side Story (any version). I cannot stand the actual story, but I saw her in Hamilton years ago.

Questlove winning was great, but his moment was overshadowed by Will slapping Chris Rock.

I was disappointed in Lin not winning. I have been a Lin fan since the Electric Company and early Freestyle Love Supreme. Hopefully he will EGOT someday.

I knew Andrew Garfield would not win, even though I wanted him to. He was fantastic in Tick Tick Boom. 

Amy Schumer has always been very hit or miss with me, but I liked her here. I did not like Regina Hall's bit of groping men onstage. I was fine with her calling them onstage, but then it went south. 

• Love 7