Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Real Dead Housewife Of Seattle

Liv eats the brains of a recently murdered trophy wife who was pushed to her death from the balcony of her stunning architectural home in the hills by a hired hit man. A Pinot Grigio-sipping, suddenly fashion obsessed Liv and Detective Babineaux begin questioning suspects in their search for the original brains behind this murder. Meanwhile, Liv and Ravi are surprised to learn that Peyton has returned to Seattle.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47XwpNT4SM

I loved everything about this episode, especially High Maintenance Liv, and Rose in all the form-fitting outfits. I also liked the Veronica Mars reference; comparing the two shows always reminds me (speaking only for myself) how much more likable Rose McIver is than Kristen Bell.

• Love 7

A pretty good episode but I need the show to stop taking owners away from their dogs. First there was the sad spaniel guy who murdered the cranky neighbor and tonight there's the zombie guy murdered by Major and again his dog has lost his person. Even if the dog is well-cared for, I don't want to see it. Zombies eating brains, people murdering each other, blackmail, bring it on. But don't give me any more sad dogs.

• Love 21

The new roommate is Vaughn's daughter?

I forget the exact line, but Vaughn Du Clarke told Gilda she wouldn't be there if he didn't sleep with married women. I took that to mean either she's his daughter or she cheated with him.

Edited by editorgrrl

Wait, so Steven Weber's character is actually Vaughn Du Clarke?  I feel like a complete idiot, because I've been calling him Max Rager this entire time.  I had just assumed he called the company after himself.  But I guess Vaughn Du Clarke works better.  Max Rager makes him sound like some kind of meathead, but Vaughn Du Clarke totally fits the arrogance and smugness that Weber's pretty much perfected in all of his roles now.

Spoiled Housewife Liv was awesome.  Pretty much everything she did cracked me up.  Rose McIver seemed to be really having fun with this one.

Man, they are just making Major's plot even more depressing.  Not only does he have to kill another zombie, the zombie is a dog owner, so we have to watch the dog (which I think was a basset hound, and they always look sad), look on sadly as Major does his evil deeds.  After all that shit, I can understand why he'd turn to drugs and go for some spontaneous sex.  It's just too bad that it was with Gilda, who is not only Liv's new roomie, but Vaughn's daughter, so I'm sure she's going to use this sometime down the line.

Clive's reactions are still a hoot, but I hope they start giving him more to do.  He only seems to be around for the procedural stuff, and I can go with that for the first season, but I'm wanting to get more into detail with him this season.

Peyton is back!  Being mature with Ravi and even baking Liv a cake!  So, yeah, I have a feeling something is going on with her.  Even if it has been a few months, I would think she'd still be a little more nervous about Liv being a zombie, then she was acting here.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

Vaughn is such a douchebag but I love that Steven Weber is obviously having such a good time douching it up.

Nice to see Richard Casablancas is still a dick.

Rich housewife Liv was fun, but I was sad that her new friend ended up being the murderer. It would have been nice for her to have a friend.

Major nitpick though: what kind of credit card lists the owner's birthday on it? I have had more credit cards than I can count and not a single one of them listed any personal information except my name.

Hahaha, Fin and Juice! And I laughed more than I should have about "Voices Carry" playing while Major's latest zombie victim was yelling in the trunk.

• Love 6

How dumb would you be to have a plan to take someone's company and tell them about it ahead of time? And then follow them into a secluded area immediately after telling them?

You wouldn't necessarily have to be dumb. Just arrogant and overly emotional. This is a guy Gilda said had a key position on the Max Rager board. So it's believable that he could lock down the votes to oust Vaughn, especially if MR stock is on the downswing as we've been previously shown. Since there's nothing obvious that Vaughn can do to stop him, why not tell him? Between his anger at being cuckolded and his being publicly humiliated, I could see him wanting to get some revenge by wanting Vaughn to know he's about to lose the only thing he seems to care about. I can't hold it against the guy that he didn't read Vaughn as a murderous psycho.

Why didn't Liv recognize Gilda as her roommate? Or am I getting things mixed up?

I don't think Liv saw Gilda at Max Rager. In this specific episode, it seemed to me that Gilda was hiding.

On another topic, I'm a little sad that neither Liv's mom nor brother called on her birthday or at least that there wasn't followup on that plot point. It was an opportunity for them to explicitly show that they hadn't forgiven her for refusing to donate blood, if that's where they wanted to go with it. Or to make it a baby step toward some sort of reconciliation. It would have taken 30 seconds or less to show her opening a birthday card or VOing that even her family abandoned her.

Also, I wasn't clear if Liv was borrowing Gilda's clothes, Peyton's clothes or both. 

• Love 3

I don't think Liv saw Gilda at Max Rager.

I'm finding myself getting bored with the mysteries, which makes me sad. It's just waiting around until Liv has a vision or Clive gets some evidence at the :53 mark that the person Liv is currently with is a killer. I realize Liv isn't a cop and the only reason Clive brings her along is for her visions, but still It would be fun to see her putting in some solid detective work. She is a doctor, Ravi's a pathologist, couldn't they work some autopsy magic?

I hope things are OK with Peyton. Liv needs a friend- Ravi is wonderful as always, but there is something different about someone you've been friends with your whole life. I'll be sad if there's something off about the cake or something.

• Love 2
Major nitpick though: what kind of credit card lists the owner's birthday on it? I have had more credit cards than I can count and not a single one of them listed any personal information except my name.

Hahaha, Fin and Juice! And I laughed more than I should have about "Voices Carry" playing while Major's latest zombie victim was yelling in the trunk.

Same nitpick here.

I don't know how much you laughed at Til Tuesday / Voices Carry, but I suspect it was about as much as I did.  (I've been hearing that song a lot lately.)

• Love 1

Gilda is Max Razor's daughter!!! Now I am skeeved out. To me it always looked like she was his mistress/co-conspirator.

No, Major no. What have you done? Of all the people, he found Gilda to sex up? Why did the writers have to go there? This guy has turned into more of a butt monkey than Donald Ressler in The Blacklist. Drugs, the killings and now the daughter of the Devil. And then Liz had to slap him.

Apart from that, the episode was so so. At least Peyton is back. Maybe she would help bridge the ever widening gap between Major and Liv.

Liv was great, as usual in her Housewives of Seattle mode. Clive still doesn't have much to do. But I loved him for not refusing to bring the car around for Liv. What am I, driving Miss. Crazy? LOL.

Ravi was a little underused but show made up with his scene with Peyton at the end. These two have great chemistry.

And lastly, what is up with punishing dog owner's. This is the second episode a doggie was left alone without his human. Was Rob Thomas bitten by a dog or something recently?

Edited by norask
  • Love 1

Heh, I totally forgot about Blaine until just now. I hadn't even realized he was missing from the episode. Well, he wasn't needed anyway, so I'm glad they didn't try to fit him in somehow.

It seems like every week, it's a game of What Can They Throw At Major That's Super Sad and Depressing?. Now he's a zombie killer and the zombie had a dog? At least Major took the dog in, but still. Somebody's going to figure out what's going on with Major, but it's not like I blame him for not saying anything. He's still neutral on Liv, and he knows Ravi would probably blab to Liv. But I think he should be telling someone. But hey, it looks like they decided to give Major some this season with Gilda. I like Gilda; her being possibly Vaughn's daughter? Gross, but I could see it. I'm pretty sure we're meant to get that she's his daughter, by the way he worded his phrase: "If I wasn't [a guy who sleeps with married women], you wouldn't be here". It just seemed more like an 'I got your mom pregnant and you wouldn't have been born if I hadn't' more than 'I slept with you multiple times while you were still married'. 

I loved Housewife Liv more than the last two zombie Livs, and I enjoyed her personality coming out at Major before she realized. It's nice to see that her personality change doesn't just happen with Ravi or Clive for laughs, though that slap at Major was entertaining. Also, I called it being the stylist right when she called Liv. I thought it was ultra suspicious. I guess Liv could have gave her her number, but I was wondering why she was insistent on being besties with Liv so I figured she had to be the killer. 

I loved seeing Peyton (new hair!), I loved her conversation with Ravi and I loved that she gave Liv a cake. It's a step forward, at least. 

• Love 1

Gilda is most definitely Vaughn's (bad guy's) daughter. If he hadn't slept with a married woman, she wouldn't exist - ie she's his offspring, not another mistress, which is why she's obviously so loyal to him.

Totally skeeved out by the Gilda/Major sex.

These episodes seem to be straying further from the funny and more into the depressing...between lonely Liv and murdering, drug-addicted Major, I'm having a really bad case of the sads.

Edited by marcee
  • Love 1

For my money, there's no "murder" involved in Major's killing zombies. As far as we know, Major is killing actually undead people and his built-in zombie detector works infallibly (or at least, he has no reason to think it might malfunction). Each of these undead people presents a danger to a) turn other people and b) murder people out of hunger for brains.

I might want him to spend a little more effort proving that the people he is offing are zombies in case he ever gets caught (and just to be 100 percent sure).

But he knows better than just about any other human the risks these zombies present. 

Major might want to mix it up a bit with his killing/body-dumping location. I'm sad that his story so quickly devolved into one I don't care about. With this latest zombie, we know he was conscious in the trunk. If he's a zombie, why didn't he overpower Major? I guess he was tied up really well.

Liv hadn't zombied out in a while, and it was kind of frightening to see her like that again.

• Love 1

It wasn't a credit card, it was her license to prove her age (to buy wine.)  She looks young & probably gets carded all the time.  Plus, I don't know the liquor laws in Washington, but some places round here (Pennsylvania) card everyone.

Hey, got carded the other day at CVS buying freakin' DayQuil! Actually, I am a little older than Walter White, so I could (theoretically) want it to make meth (nope, sorry, just a bad cold!)   And The Wild Boar got carded last week for cigarettes.  He's 61 years old!  That store's policy is to card everyone.

Why didn't Liv recognize Gilda as her roommate? Or am I getting things mixed up?

I don't think Liv saw Gilda at Max Rager. In this specific episode, it seemed to me that Gilda was hiding

She never saw Gilda at Max Rager - that was a different admin!  I'm pretty sure Gilda lays low if Liv shows up at Max.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 1

I thought Bethany might mention Liv's red eyes when she was in the interrogation room later but I guess she was too busy worrying about jail time to bring it up.

She probably just attributed the red eyes to the mace or pepper spray.

It wasn't a credit card, it was her license to prove her age (to buy wine.) 

That was the liquor store. Liv had started a tab with a credit card at the boutique, and the guy wished her a happy birthday. (And she was buying something stronger than wine--cinnamon whisky, maybe?)

Edited by dcalley
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
It wasn't a credit card, it was her license to prove her age (to buy wine.)  She looks young & probably gets carded all the time.  Plus, I don't know the liquor laws in Washington, but some places round here (Pennsylvania) card everyone.

Brittany showed her the red dress and then Liv handed her credit card to the guy at the register and said, "Start a tab," so I assumed she meant for buying the red dress and whatever else she found. I've never been to a boutique that also sells wine but that makes about as much sense as starting a clothing tab instead of just paying for everything at once after you're done trying on clothes. Either way, it makes no sense to me!

Usually Rob Thomas is pretty good at being realistic about details like that. If he had just had Liv say, "I'll take it!" in reference to the red dress while handing over her credit card and then had the boutique guy say, "Can I see your ID?" (which is very common when using credit cards these days) and THEN noticing it was her birthday, then I would have been fine with it.

I'm pretty sure Gilda lays low if Liv shows up at Max.

Gilda was hiding around the corner or behind a pillar or something when Liv was at Max Rager, which is how she overheard that Vaughn slept with Taylor. She was deliberately staying out of sight so that Liv wouldn't spot her.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

It wasn't a credit card, it was her license to prove her age (to buy wine.)

She never saw Gilda at Max Rager - that was a different admin! I'm pretty sure Gilda lays low if Liv shows up at Max.

Yes, Liv showed her Washington State driver's licence at the liquor store. But earlier, at the clothing store (Hauter Than Hell), she handed her credit card to the guy behind the register and said, "start a tab." He looked at it, then said, "Thank you, Olivia. Oh, and happy birthday!"

And Gilda eavesdropped on Liv at Max Rager without being seen. That's how she knew Vaughn Du Clarke slept with Taylor Fowler—she heard Liv tell Clive about her "psychic vision."

Hey, I got carded the other day at CVS buying freakin' DayQuil! Actually, I am a little older than Walter White, so I could (theoretically) want it to make meth (nope, sorry, just a bad cold!) And The Wild Boar got carded last week for cigarettes. He's 61 years old! That store's policy is to card everyone.

Yea we tend to do that

• Love 1

Oh, thank you! I had missed that detail; it's great.

Oops, guess I did too.  I just saw the license when she bought the wine.

But yeah, rich girl Liv was very entertaining!  

And as much time as they spent on Bethany, it was obvious she had to be the killer.  Just had to figure out why.

With this latest zombie, we know he was conscious in the trunk. If he's a zombie, why didn't he overpower Major?

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that myself.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 1

Wow Major's storyline is depressing. It's not just the things he's doing either, it's the hurt, almost victimised way he's doing it.

And then when Liv found the birthday cake and realised it was from Peyton I honestly thought I was going to shed a very genuine tear.

Other than all that emotional stuff, I loved this episode. Especially the idea that Liv is so down about her life that she deliberately embraced this particular personality to have some fun. I enjoyed it a great deal.

• Love 2

Fanwank #1 as to why Major's latest zombie victim didn't fight back:

It seems like zombies go into full-on zombie mode (FOZM) based on basically two sets of factors: 

1) A strong emotional response like exhilaration or rage

2) A defense mechanism response to serious physical threats

We heard the victim pleading to let him out and let his dog live. So while fear is a strong emotional response, it's not one that triggers FOZM. 

And while Major overpowered his victim, he didn't inflict the sort of physical injury that has caused others to go into FOZM.

Fanwank #2:

Major's zombie detection skills are not all that, and he actually got a "false positive" because the victim lives with or has some other close relationship with an actual zombie.

• Love 2

I was just so happy with "a long time ago, we used to be friends" that I smiled through the rest of the episode. Have just completed a rematch of Season 1 of Veronica Mars and it holds up so very well. For all of you young'uns who have not seen VM, get thee to iTunes immediately.

• Love 2

For my money, there's no "murder" involved in Major's killing zombies. As far as we know, Major is killing actually undead people and his built-in zombie detector works infallibly (or at least, he has no reason to think it might malfunction). Each of these undead people presents a danger to a) turn other people and b) murder people out of hunger for brains.

I might want him to spend a little more effort proving that the people he is offing are zombies in case he ever gets caught (and just to be 100 percent sure).

But he knows better than just about any other human the risks these zombies present. 

I think it's murder. In this particular universe, zombies read more as sick than undead, so it seems more analogous to me that Major is putting down folks with infectious diseases. Major also knows better than any other human that these zombies are afflicted with something that can be cured.

We've seen a few murderous zombies on this show (and many murderous regular humans), but most of them are folks trying as best they can to carry on with their lives. The zombies in this universe are people. 

Edited by thefreeair
  • Love 10

That zombies can act like human beings as long as they eat sufficient amounts of brains does not make them human beings. 

They are categorically not human beings.

Which is important for the legal definition of murder. Here's the real world Washington state law on homicide:

Homicide is the killing of a human being by the act, procurement, or omission of another, death occurring at any time, and is either (1) murder, (2) homicide by abuse, (3) manslaughter, (4) excusable homicide, or (5) justifiable homicide.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.32.010

As for the morality behind killing zombies, I think it's untrue that most zombies that we have been shown have been normal people just trying to get on with their lives. If anything, most zombies we have shown have been explicitly shown as willing to conspire to murder or actually murder (Blaine and his former gang at the Meet Cute, Jackie, the rich zombie who wanted to eat Alan York's astrobrains, the guy Liv turned -- heck, I believe even Liv has alluded to killing before she got a fix up and running by working at the morgue), to turn a blind eye to actual murders (Lowell, Lt. Susuki and now this DA character), or actually fall more in the classic zombie category as mindless killing machines (Marcy and the doctor at Max Rager).

We haven't seen enough of the background of the two zombies Major killed to say definitively that they have killed people. But it's in their very nature that they have to feed. As far as we know, zombies need brains to maintain coherence and rationality. There's no reason to think that they can live off of non-human brains like Buffy/Angelverse vamps could live off of pig's blood. Those brains have to come from somewhere. Usually they come from live human beings. It's a fairly safe bet that even the best-intentioned zombie has killed a human being or benefited from the killing of a human being. It's also a fairly safe bet that most zombies are high risks to kill human beings in the future and to infect others. 

Given that, I don't see any reason morally to refrain from killing the typical zombie immediately. (Liv is uniquely positioned as she has created a system where there should be no need for her to resort to killing to get human brains in the foreseeable future.) 

• Love 1
I hope things are OK with Peyton.

I think they're getting there: Peyton wouldn't have left a cake if things were really bad between them. Her talk with Ravi made it clear she needed time to absorb the situation, and Ravi told her he was still adjusting. 

someone you've been friends with your whole life

They've been friends since college, but your point stands.

they have more of a father-daughter-dynamic so far.

I agree. The way she talks to him feels more like a daughter than a mistress.

With this latest zombie, we know he was conscious in the trunk. If he's a zombie, why didn't he overpower Major?

Doesn't Major inject them with something that immobilizes them?

when Liv found the birthday cake and realised it was from Peyton I honestly thought I was going to shed a very genuine tear.

There was a lot of dust in my apartment when I watched that scene.

Major also knows better than any other human that these zombies are afflicted with something that can be cured.

Ravi was able to reverse Major's zombie-ism, but we don't know how permanent the reversal is or what the long-term affects are.

iZombies are humans.

They are chemically altered humans, but even that chemical alteration has been proven to be reversible.

Vampires on Buffy are a hybrid organism, part human and part demon.

Zombies on TWD are also probably also a hybrid organism, part human and part virus or whatever.

On this show, though, no such thing.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

We haven't seen enough of the background of the two zombies Major killed to say definitively that they have killed people. But it's in their very nature that they have to feed. As far as we know, zombies need brains to maintain coherence and rationality. There's no reason to think that they can live off of non-human brains like Buffy/Angelverse vamps could live off of pig's blood. Those brains have to come from somewhere. Usually they come from live human beings. It's a fairly safe bet that even the best-intentioned zombie has killed a human being or benefited from the killing of a human being. It's also a fairly safe bet that most zombies are high risks to kill human beings in the future and to infect others. 

Given that, I don't see any reason morally to refrain from killing the typical zombie immediately. (Liv is uniquely positioned as she has created a system where there should be no need for her to resort to killing to get human brains in the foreseeable future.) 

How about because there is a cure? Because, as you've pointed out with Liv's unique position, it is possible for zombies to subsist off of brains of folks who have die naturally - no need for murder. Because, if the medical community were made aware of zombies, they may have the resources to keep zombies alive through ethical means while working on a cure? Because they deserve a fair trial before being sentenced to death based on assumptions?

Did I mention that this is an affliction that can be cured? Again, we can quibble over whether the zombies are humans, but they are definitely people. And if Major can recognize Liv's personhood - enough to love and desire to protect her - then he has to know that the zombies he is killing are no different. They have people who love them too. Like the girls whose father - who could have been cured - will never come home. 

• Love 12

So they seemed to get real housewife confused with "Real Housewife" but dramatic Liv throwing drinks and slapping people was kind of fun.

Oh God. I couldn't care less about Vaughn's illegitimate daughter and her new relationship with Major. Stop it, show. She does have great Ariel hair though. I'll give her that.

The likelihood Major is not actually murdering people is decreasing every episode although I've yet to see real proof. Weird choice from the show.

I knew personal shopper/stylist girl would be involved but I hoped I was wrong because Liv desperately needs female friends. This is like The Mindy Project. Why are these shows with female protagonists allergic to them having female friends?

Like Blaine said, how is no one going to notice this rich white guy going missing?

• Love 1

I think it's murder. In this particular universe, zombies read more as sick than undead, so it seems more analogous to me that Major is putting down folks with infectious diseases. Major also knows better than any other human that these zombies are afflicted with something that can be cured.

We've seen a few murderous zombies on this show (and many murderous regular humans), but most of them are folks trying as best they can to carry on with their lives. The zombies in this universe are people. 

Absolutely. Yet they are still all engaged in ongoing conspiracy to murder and constitute a mortal threat to humanity. And Major knows there is currently no cure. If there was, I'm sure that if there was, Major would industriously inject the zombies he identifies, rather than murder them. Max Rager would still want to murder the zombies to keep their culpability secret, but I don't think Major would do it for them, not even to save Liv. Not if there was a cure.

I don't think there's any way to reconcile the moral imperatives here. It's not like Liv wasn't culpable of moral indifference all that time Blaine was murdering street kids but she couldn't be bothered to wonder where the lying SOB got his brains. If there's no way to replicate another cure (and it would seem more probable that an uncontrolled but mysteriously unanalyzable "taint" will be impossible to copy,) then the zombies ultimately have to be destroyed, or isolated. For whatever reason, mad scientist Ravi won't do the medically proper course and reveal the existence of zombies. So in a sense, it's all Ravi's fault. 

Major is as ruthless as a sniper but up close and personal. It is killing people of a sort but there are multiple reasons why it has to be done, not just to save Liv. So he's in a terrible position. I'm not quite sure why utopium rather than booze, though. 

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2

How about because there is a cure? Because, as you've pointed out with Liv's unique position, it is possible for zombies to subsist off of brains of folks who have die naturally - no need for murder. Because, if the medical community were made aware of zombies, they may have the resources to keep zombies alive through ethical means while working on a cure? Because they deserve a fair trial before being sentenced to death based on assumptions?

Did I mention that this is an affliction that can be cured? Again, we can quibble over whether the zombies are humans, but they are definitely people. And if Major can recognize Liv's personhood - enough to love and desire to protect her - then he has to know that the zombies he is killing are no different. They have people who love them too. Like the girls whose father - who could have been cured - will never come home. 

This is ultimately something on which we will have to agree to disagree. People's mileage will vary on what it means to be "human" or a "person." 

I think biologically, philosophically and legally izombies should be considered a different category altogether than human. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to think that they are close enough, though.

Even putting the debate about zombies' personhood aside, there is just too much risk in letting them roam free. At any time, their hunger can overtake them and prompt them to murder, like we saw with Jackie. At any time, they can get excited and infect others. 

In terms of the cure, we don't know if it's permanent, if there are side-effects, etc. And even assuming that it is permanent with no or minimal side effects, the cure can't be replicated at present and there's no real prospect for doing so in the imminent future.

If the community at large were to be made aware that there are zombies, there would just as likely be efforts to weaponize, manipulate and exploit zombie-ism as there would be to cure it. Step one would probably involve a lot of zombie-dissections.There would almost certainly be laws passed spelling out that zombies do not have the same rights as humans.

In terms of living off of naturally dead people, we don't have any idea how much brains zombies might need to stay lucid, or if they are willing and able to stick to that minimum. If they are anything like a lot of humans, sticking to a diet might not be the easiest.

With basically every zombie we have shown either having killed or been in the beneficiary of murder, I think that it is a safe assumption that all zombies fall in that boat, and moreover will likely fall in that boat again and again. 

• Love 1

Major might want to mix it up a bit with his killing/body-dumping location. I'm sad that his story so quickly devolved into one I don't care about. With this latest zombie, we know he was conscious in the trunk. If he's a zombie, why didn't he overpower Major? I guess he was tied up really well.

Liv hadn't zombied out in a while, and it was kind of frightening to see her like that again.

I am waiting for the episode where Clive comes in with a half dozen neatly wrapped corpses all dredged from that same river...

Also, I would be concerned about zombie infections getting into the water supply or local fish, depending on what's in the water where major is dumping.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Just have to say that Liv was utterly gorgeous in her dresses. She looked super hot. I also like that her brain meals tend to tie in with the COTW (nachos for the frat bro, stuffed tomato for the housewife). And vert happy Peyton is back and actually may have a plot other than clueless roomie.

My biggest issue - and I think someone mentioned this in a previous thread - is Clive's cluelessness. I'm not advocating for him to know the truth necessarily but I need a conversation where Liv tells him the visions make her take on the deceased's traits. Otherwise it makes Clive seem stupid and he's not.

• Love 5