Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

From NBC-TV Los Angeles: Fascinating (I Think) Story of Real-Life Serious Health Issues Endured by Will Yun Lee (Sang Min)’s Young Son

Will’s son Cash, now 3, suffered not 1 but 2 major strokes soon after he turned 3; he was diagnosed & underwent heavy-duty chemo treatment for a number of weeks, as well as took numerous prescription meds, based on this diagnosis—only to find he was MISDIAGNOSED & he actually had a rare cerebrovascular condition for which he needed to undergo pretty major brain surgery on each side of his head so that this condition would hopefully be corrected.

Instead of reading the print copy at the linked article, it’s better to watch the 4-5 video screens embedded with the story (a whole local talk show, or a major part of 1, devoted to talking about what happened to Cash, which is posted in segments), because (I feel) you get more understanding of the severity of the situation Cash & his family went through that way. You also get to see numerous comments by Will Yun Lee (aka Sang Min) who, because of his filming various projects outside LA, describes things like having had to leave sets on an emergency basis when Cash took ill due to both strokes.

• Useful 1
38 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Sigh.  I'll have to find a new favorite show for eye candy and ridiculous plots.  Which, seriously, are my favorite things.  I haz a sad....

I haz a sad too. And so do a lot of other fans/people. I was honestly not expecting this. Especially since they recently announced the casting of that new guy who was supposed to be a regular if the show got renewed for next season (which it sounded like it would). This feels like a gut punch. It’s like when CBS suddenly announced the ending of The Good Wife during the Super Bowl a few years ago.

In last Friday's episode when Steve was sitting at the desk talking to Adam I thought he looked a bit rough seeing him close up. I actually felt a bit of worry. Not sure if it was on purpose by the makeup people or something else seeing as the show is ending soon.

I'm not an avid watcher, but this is the biggest cancellation  of the season (unless this was planned a while ago and only releasing the news now that sweeps are over.)  Contracts are ending and shooting in Hawaii isn't cheap, but the ratings are still very good.  I do think they took Alex's health into consideration and knowing continuing without him wouldn't work.  I know a few friends who will miss the eye candy.

28 minutes ago, Msample said:

Wow, pretty short notice. 

They almost certainly assumed it would be back for a Season 11 and O'Loughlin just didn't want to come back. Most times, the studios assume that people will eventually decide to return, but here, he surprised them.

• Love 1

I still have 18 episodes on my DVR from last season and the current one. I sort of got bored with the show and stopped watching. I guess now I’ll catch up before the last 2 weeks or so air. I liked the original cast. I also think it’s odd how they didn’t draw out the series finale from the beginning. It’s usually how it’s done for the long running shows. It seems rather rushed. 

• Love 1

From the one article I've read so far they were apparently looking at Danno & a new partner, but it didn't seem to work.  If AOL is pulling out for health, then we got two more years then he (and the rest of us) originally thought was possible.  I'm relieved that Caan isn't the reason it's ending.  I'm also relieved that making room for the MacGawdawful series also isn't the reason. 

Once I realized this season was ending with 22 episodes instead of the 25 of the last many seasons, AND ending at the beginning of April instead of during May sweeps, I have been bracing myself.  

Two more seasons would have pushed it past the 280-ish of the original series.

I think I will miss Eddie most of all 😭

Time schedule the re-watch.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I'm not an avid watcher, but this is the biggest cancellation  of the season (unless this was planned a while ago and only releasing the news now that sweeps are over.)  Contracts are ending and shooting in Hawaii isn't cheap, but the ratings are still very good.  I do think they took Alex's health into consideration and knowing continuing without him wouldn't work.  I know a few friends who will miss the eye candy.

I've only been a viewer for a few years, not the entire run, but really enjoy this show. So sad to hear it's cancelled. 

Alex O is ill?  

IMO they have a solid team at hand for a spin-off with Lou, Tani, Junior, Quinn and Noelani. I'd watch that but I have quite some time ago lost interest in McGarrett and Danno (not to mention Adam) and stayed mostly for those folks and their plots.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I've only been a viewer for a few years, not the entire run, but really enjoy this show. So sad to hear it's cancelled. 

Alex O is ill?  

AO is (or was) a certified (or whatever the term is) stuntman, and used to do a lot of his own stunts.  That bit from the pilot, where he leaps up as a car rear-ends another car in front of him, lands on the hood of the second car and slides off?  All him (it was in the title sequence for years).

So there was this big big stunt in episode 16 of season 2, which looked really impressive and scary and I think did not happen quite correctly, and he got a bad shoulder injury and wound up with a pain-killer problem due in part (according to  an interview I remember but cannot find) to being OCD and not keeping track of how many pills he was taking.  This was when H50 shut down production for a month near the end of filming of the second season so AO could go to rehab, did the McGarrett-less crossover with NCIS Los Angeles, and cut one episode from that year's schedule.

He re-signed for season 8 after planning to leave (his injuries were so bad that he was anticipating not being able to lift his eventual grandchildren) when he found a very effective stem-cell treatment.

I really wanted them to beat the original series' episode count (season 12 would have done it!), but I've had ten years checking in with Hawaii and maybe there will be another decent show there soon (sorry Magnum).

3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Alex O is ill?  

Not ill, per se. In the earlier seasons Alex preferred to do his own stunts rather than delegate them to his stunt double. As a result, he incurred a lot of injuries, including some damage to his shoulder & his back (I think herniated discs). He takes/took his position as the lead seriously enough that he wouldn’t take the time off from the show to have the injuries repaired properly between seasons & risk keeping any of the crew behind the scenes, especially, off work longer during the hiatuses if he needed extra recovery time from surgery, etc. He also relied too heavily on pain meds, which resulted in his having to go to rehab towards the end of Season 2 (& miss being in the crossover storyline with NCIS: Los Angeles) in order to get help getting off of the pills.

Alex’s back issues, in particular, became so bad that he almost quit at the end of Season 8, saying he wanted to still be able to run & play with his youngest sons (his stepson, Spike, from his wife Malia’s previous marriage & his & Malia’s son, Lion, who was born during the second season as I remember)—he also has an adult aged son, Saxon, from a previous relationship, who was living in Australia at last report (though Saxon did live with Alex, Malia, & the younger boys in Hawaii for awhile around the period when Lion was born, & he attended a private school in Honolulu)—&, once he had them, his grandchildren. Happily, after he made that comment, Alex apparently found stem cell treatments somewhere on the Mainland US (I think in San Francisco), which were apparently successful in alleviating enough of his back problems that he said in a later interview, before Season 9 was announced, that he thought he could now return for a ninth season of the show because of those treatments (I don’t think this season was mentioned then). I don’t know if the treatments stopped working or if Alex has just decided not to press his luck where his physical health’s concerned any longer. But I respect his decision. And it does seem it was his decision not to come back which ended the show (both his & Scott Caan’s contracts are/were up at the end of this season).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
5 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

AO is (or was) a certified (or whatever the term is) stuntman, and used to do a lot of his own stunts.  That bit from the pilot, where he leaps up as a car rear-ends another car in front of him, lands on the hood of the second car and slides off?  All him (it was in the title sequence for years).

So there was this big big stunt in episode 16 of season 2, which looked really impressive and scary and I think did not happen quite correctly, and he got a bad shoulder injury and wound up with a pain-killer problem due in part (according to  an interview I remember but cannot find) to being OCD and not keeping track of how many pills he was taking.  This was when H50 shut down production for a month near the end of filming of the second season so AO could go to rehab, did the McGarrett-less crossover with NCIS Los Angeles, and cut one episode from that year's schedule.

He re-signed for season 8 after planning to leave (his injuries were so bad that he was anticipating not being able to lift his eventual grandchildren) when he found a very effective stem-cell treatment.

I really wanted them to beat the original series' episode count (season 12 would have done it!), but I've had ten years checking in with Hawaii and maybe there will be another decent show there soon (sorry Magnum).

Regarding the bolded: I’m reasonably sure Season 9 (& subsequently this season) was the season he came back for after not being certain he was coming back so he didn’t get injured enough he couldn’t do active things with his younger children & eventual grandchildren. A number of others have pointed out we got 2 more seasons than we were expecting, thanks to those stem cell treatments & I remember thinking it would be kinda sad if the show ended with Season 8 because Beulah Koale & Meaghan Rath would only get 1 season each to experience this (their first season was Season 8). They ended up getting 3 seasons, so I’m happy for them.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

THANKS. I had no idea.

5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

IMO they have a solid team at hand for a spin-off with Lou, Tani, Junior, Quinn and Noelani. I'd watch that but I have quite some time ago lost interest in McGarrett and Danno (not to mention Adam) and stayed mostly for those folks and their plots.

Given that the show is a 'solid earner' I'm surprised the network didn't decide to move on without AOL. I think they are underestimating the viewership interest in the show as just being Steve/Danny. I've been saying for a while Lou in the lead of Five-0 would be much more interesting. 

• Love 1
On 2/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, ByaNose said:

I still have 18 episodes on my DVR from last season and the current one. I sort of got bored with the show and stopped watching. I guess now I’ll catch up before the last 2 weeks or so air. I liked the original cast. I also think it’s odd how they didn’t draw out the series finale from the beginning. It’s usually how it’s done for the long running shows. It seems rather rushed. 

Well when they know they can have the mega finale arc. Like with the original Magnum PI they ran through the probably finale only to get renewed for a "now what?" season. So it seems like CBS was hoping to get more seasons out of 5-0. But for a big finale with Wo Fat gone with the 100th episode they did bring his before unknown  widow in at the beginning of the season who suspiciously has been absent 

(edited)
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Given that the show is a 'solid earner' I'm surprised the network didn't decide to move on without AOL. I think they are underestimating the viewership interest in the show as just being Steve/Danny. I've been saying for a while Lou in the lead of Five-0 would be much more interesting. 

I can understand why they did it.  CBS has a million procedural shows, which is why I think this show had a cheesy fun-like vibe.  CBS has Magnum PI, MacGyver, 2 FBI shows, 3 NCIS shows, SWAT, and SEAL Team.  I'm sure the majority of those shows can be filmed in a studio with cheaper outside locations filmed in Georgia, Hollywood, or New York.  The longer a show goes on the more you have to pay the actors, film crew, stunt doubles, personal assistants, caterers, and in addition to budgeting for guest stars. 

As far as Chi I believe he would be great, but then it would be no different a show than any of the other CBS procedural shows.  I'm also not completely convinced they were unaware that this was the last season.  This show has some extremely vocal and rabid social medium fandom.  PL has 2 other shows still airing on CBS that I'm sure he'd like to continue to make money off of and I'm sure CBS would still like to make a little money of H50 streaming and dvd's.  I think the best way not completely infuriate the fandom and possibly still keep interest in the other 2 PL/CBS shows is to feign shock and surprise.  This might help the other shows gain some of the H50 following and keep the money rolling in.

Edited by Just my 2 cents
16 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I wonder what new show will start filming in Hawaii to replace H5O? They have a studio & production people already in place.

Magnum PI will probably continue with a two season head start. Sort of like the original which came just after Jack Lord's 5-0 ended its run. 

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

Magnum PI will probably continue with a two season head start. Sort of like the original which came just after Jack Lord's 5-0 ended its run. 

I’m sure Magnum will continue but I was talking about what H50 already has in place. I’m sure a new show could take right over. How about CSI: Hawaii? NCIS: Hawaii? Maybe, Survivor: Hawaii.......slight joke....?! 

2 hours ago, Just my 2 cents said:

The longer a show goes on the more you have to pay the actors, film crew, stunt doubles, personal assistants, caterers, and in addition to budgeting for guest stars. 

That's undeniably true, but was the show losing money? Hence why I qualified, 'solid earner'. Obviously, if they were getting to a point where paying everyone cut into profit, I can get it, but if it's only ending because AOL (understandably) just can't take the punishment, then that seems shortsighted was my point.

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's undeniably true, but was the show losing money? Hence why I qualified, 'solid earner'. Obviously, if they were getting to a point where paying everyone cut into profit, I can get it, but if it's only ending because AOL (understandably) just can't take the punishment, then that seems shortsighted was my point.

I understand what you're saying now.  I guess since it's CBS I've come to expect them being shortsighted.  I think they prefer to produce cheaper reality tv to television shows.  I think at a certain point with them they will choose a show that's cheaper to produce over one that's profits don't grow beyond a certain point.  I guess if they have to choose between another season of MacGyver and maybe 2 more seasons of Magnum they would prefer to do that.  I also think it is in PL's best interest if he can get them to do another year or two of his newer shows instead of on a year by year basis with H50.  I remember Tom Selleck saying last year he was willing to sign a contract for Blue Bloods for more than one season, but one season was the way CBS was doing the contracts.  

Of course, I'm not complaining about CBS since the majority of the shows I watch are on CBS.  Their shows are really good for people that work a lot of hours during the week and just want to come home and unwind to some tv.  They're very easy to follow or miss an episode or two, but still be able to keep up.   I'm also used to them cancelling something that I've been watching for a few years all of a sudden and announcing it during the last few episodes of the show or after the season has finished airing.

If the show were losing money it would have been cancelled already.  With both their contracts up, AO & SC would have asked for really big $$$$$, especially if AO has health issues and SC prefers to work much closer to his young family (DDK relocated his kids to Hawaii, but that wound up being a thirteen year run - for the most part re-locating kids that far for a job that is potentially so un-guaranteed isn't that good in civilian life (and military life in theory has a good support system built in)).  Costs are a significant reason long-running shows will end without too much weeping by the money people (looking at you, Friends) especially if most of the highly-paid cast is ready for Something New & Different & Therefore Challenging to play.

On the other hand, if it is a big money-maker, most of the original cast has moved on or taken a reduced role, and It Gets The Ratings, a show can go on forever (glaring at you NCIS - especially for making me realize that the percentage of not-good scripts filmed today is roughly the same percentage as in the early seasons).

The Law and Order franchise is a Black Swan.

PS Yep, season 9 was the previous tipping point, not 8.  I was too sad to look harder.

(edited)

Judging by this pic posted to Twitter (a sawhorse from Eye Productions [connected to the show]) advising people of no parking in the area during certain hours on Monday, March 2nd, it looks like filming ends tomorrow.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix punctuation.