Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

Congratulations & Best Wishes for a long & happy life together go to Alex & his longtime partner, Malia Jones, who were very quietly & very recently married in Hawaii (Apparently sometime this week--pictures of a Hawaiian-style wedding celebration involving a couple named "Alex & Malia", as well as other pictures/comments seemingly confirming a marriage for the couple, have shown up on Twitter, Facebook, & Instagram [at least] in the last couple of days)!

People magazine's website confirms the nuptials today, in an article containing an official statement, but very few details, from the couple's Publicist. The details that were included, about the length of their relationship & the birth of Lion, their son together, were slightly inaccurate.

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20808358,00.html

Edited to add:

I couldn't resist sharing this pic which showed up on Social Media in the last few hours, of Alex & Malia cutting their wedding cake. Mostly because they're both too good looking in it to ignore.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Parker5050/status/457279102639431680/photo/1

If you can't see all of it, click Expand (or anything else)--that should get you the full picture, which deserves to be seen that way (my opinion).

The wedding was apparently yesterday, the 17th (maybe the day before, the 16th). The reception (if not also the wedding) was apparently held at the Waikiki restaurant of Food Network's Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto.

Many here may remember Morimoto had a cameo--Chef & restaurant--in a memorable scene from Ep 120: Steve broke his arm after finding a dead body while hiking to the petroglyphs with Danny, then Danny (& Steve, sort of) had to comb through a bucket of fish sold to Chef Morimoto's restaurant so they could find ballistics evidence (the bullet) attached to their dead body.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Michelle Borth ‏@michelleborth  Apr 20

LOL I'm sorry, reality check. Having a Twitter acct. & writing "fanfic" does not make u a writer!! Don't quit ur day job, oh wait.....right.

This is just one example of the Michelle Borth crazy train that has been bullying fans of the show for a year. It's a wonder CBS allows her to behave in this manner in social media. Is there another actress/actor on prime time that behaves this way towards fans of their show?

Chi McBride (aka Captain Lou Grover) will be on The Talk on CBS *this Friday, May 2nd*.

Presumably he'll be promoting this week's new episode (Michelle's/Catherine's departure), next week's new episode (the Season 4 Finale, in which Grover seems to figure heavily), or both.

For those who have to record the show (because of work, or whatever), or who want to record it, The Talk is scheduled to air on CBS at 2PM Eastern/1PM Central--but check your local listings to be sure, in case the program is time-shifted or airs on another network in your area. It runs for an hour, & normally airs live in case you're not familiar with it (or have forgotten).

(edited)

John Ondrasik of the rock group Five for Fighting has created a special song, All For One, for the upcoming milestone 100th ep of the show.

Exec Producer Peter Lenkov & Ondrasik discuss the song here:

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hawaii-five-0-100th-episode-741818?utm_source=twitter

LINK SOURCE: Twitter/LINKED ARTICLE SOURCE: The Hollywood Reporter

There's also an almost 40 second Soundcloud audio clip of the song included at the above linked article, in case you haven't heard it/this news yet & want a preview of the song before the ep airs November 7th.

If you end up liking the song enough to want to add it to your music collection, the article also says it will be available as a single via iTunes (no mention of availability at amazon or other legal download sites) after the ep airs.

I can't remember if it's with this article or not (I think it is) but there's a cool (my opinion) graphic that goes along with the song & helps depict its theme. If it's not with the linked article, it's on various sites talking about the show, the 100th ep, or the song.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I find it interesting that they call her "Hawaii Five-0 actress".  She hasn't been on the show in well over a year.  Isn't she more known for "The O.C."?  I get that it was years ago, but she showed up, what, 5 times for a few minutes each time on HF0?

*New* spoiler from TVGuide's MegaBuzz column stating, among other things, that we still *haven't* heard the last of the consequences for Danny shooting his brother Matt's apparent murderer in the head OR the last of the consequences for Chin borrowing money from Malia's brother in order to help ransom Matt when they still thought he was alive. There's also a spoiler that involves Doris.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buzz-Scandal-Hawaii-Five0-Sleepy-Hollow-1089818.aspx

It's kinda sad, though none of us obviously knows the reasons behind it, that Autumn & her husband are divorcing. Especially since their youngest son's 1st birthday is just this week, & their elder son is also still quite young.

As for her professional credit in the announcement, E! (I think it was) didn't even use H50; they used her role in Entourage (ironically, Scott's other TV series... At least during the last 3 seasons of it, anyway). I've seen a lot of eps from that show, though I don't think all of them, but I don't remember seeing her on it. You'd think they might've mentioned Last Resort, which was apparently her most recent credit of note (she co-starred in most/all the show's eps), but they probably didn't since that died a rather quick death after just 1 season & the other shows lasted longer. Both announcements also referenced her being in The OC which, I guess, was maybe her biggest role (though I'd never heard of her until she was on H50).

DDK interview with Honolulu Star-Advertiser writer Mike Gordon, about DDK's directorial debut on tomorrow night's episode. With some comments by Peter Lenkov as well. For those with access to the print version, it's in today's edition.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/features/20150226_Kim_calls__the_shots.html?id=294155651&mobile=true

This link is supposed to get you to the article without having to go through the paper's paywall to read it. And I thought it was a good article.

Another interview with DDK about his directorial debut. This time from ABC News' website (which, yes, is odd since the show's on CBS, but the article was done by a wire service reporter so it can be published wherever). This article touches on different things than the Honolulu 1, including Daniel being in the cast of the upcoming Insurgent movie, the formation of his own production company, & minorities in TV & the movies. It's also a good read.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/daniel-dae-kim-takes-control-hawaii-29250389#.VO97C5z_Y8A.twitter

Edited by BW Manilowe

Thanks for the articles BW.  I forget that new directors who are not familiar with the characters and the backstory may eliminate potential good dramatic scenes taht build on previous stories in favor of the action or a plot point.  I'm looking forward to DDK's directorial debut, and hopefully, he has captured some of the great McDanno dynamic beyond just the playful bickering.

http://websta.me/p/931455311692377666_1220301226

Photo taken on the set of Chi McBride with actor Jaleel White (yes, Urkel from Family Matters; Jaleel also had a strong showing in a fairly recent Dancing with the Stars season), who's apparently doing a guest shot on the show, but I don't know if (& honestly kinda doubt that) it's Ep 522, the apparently currently shooting ep in which Pauly Shore guests, or if it's another ep. I know they've announced a (different) guest star & plot synopsis for an S5 ep delving into more of Grover's Chicago backstory. Maybe he's in that ep.

I started to wonder if Jaleel had been cast as Grover's son, then realized he's much too old for that part, given that we think Grover's son is younger than Grover's daughter, Samantha is, based on a Grover family pic that's been seen in the show.

Guess we'll see who's guesting in what ep(s) as CBS issues the press releases for them.

http://websta.me/p/931455311692377666_1220301226

Photo taken on the set of Chi McBride with actor Jaleel White (yes, Urkel from Family Matters; Jaleel also had a strong showing in a fairly recent Dancing with the Stars season), who's apparently doing a guest shot on the show, but I don't know if (& honestly kinda doubt that) it's Ep 522, the apparently currently shooting ep in which Pauly Shore guests, or if it's another ep. I know they've announced a (different) guest star & plot synopsis for an S5 ep delving into more of Grover's Chicago backstory. Maybe he's in that ep.

I started to wonder if Jaleel had been cast as Grover's son, then realized he's much too old for that part, given that we think Grover's son is younger than Grover's daughter, Samantha is, based on a Grover family pic that's been seen in the show.

Guess we'll see who's guesting in what ep(s) as CBS issues the press releases for them.

Jaleel White's episode is 5.22. It's a "Spring Break" themed eppy w/three guys going on vacation together (I'm assuming Pauly Shore, Kevin Farley and Jaleel White are the three) and get caught with a dead body in their hotel room. 

Jaleel White's episode is 5.22. It's a "Spring Break" themed eppy w/three guys going on vacation together (I'm assuming Pauly Shore, Kevin Farley and Jaleel White are the three) and get caught with a dead body in their hotel room.

OK. So he is in Pauly Shore's ep. This could be interesting. Thanks for the info.

(edited)

Masi Oka will reprise his role as Hiro in the Heroes Reborn limited series scheduled to air in Fall 2015 on NBC.

https://twitter.com/heroes/status/581541095214985216

(Tweet from the show announcing Masi's return)

https://twitter.com/masioka/status/581557654088081409

(Tweet from Masi confirming the news--in it he also thanks his bosses at H50/CBS for working things out with the Heroes Reborn showrunners & NBC so he can do both shows. Which hopefully wasn't that hard--unless they're planning on expanding his H50 role next season--since Masi's not in every ep even though he's considered a regular H50 cast member).

And the fact the showrunners & networks involved actually discussed it/worked things out so Masi could do both H50 & Heroes Reborn at the same time hopefully bodes well for an S6 Renewal & wasn't just a "just in case Masi actually has obligations to both H50 & Heroes Reborn" formality.

I mean, even if CBS isn't saying it yet, you'd think Lenkov or somebody might have a sense/actually already know if H50 is being renewed for the 2015-2016 TV Season & if it's not then they (logically) maybe shouldn't have had to work things out so Masi could do both series simultaneously. That's what I'd think anyway.

Hopefully, Masi might be able to get most of his Heroes Reborn stuff filmed before H50 should be going back to work in early/mid-July. And if he can't, then they just write Dr. Max Bergman outta however many eps are necessary (not a huge problem, like I already said, since he's normally not in every ep anyway). And maybe they write Dr. Mindy Shaw (Amanda Setton's ME trainee character) in some of the eps to replace Max, if needed & if they keep Amanda & her character around for an S6.

On another note, Dennis Chun (HPD Sergeant Duke Lukela) posted another (brief) "Thank you for your support" message on his Facebook page yesterday, meant for the fans to read. In it, he also mentioned that yesterday, Thursday, March 26th, was the 1st day of shooting on Ep 525/the Season 5 (hopefully not Series) Finale.

So... Unless they've scheduled night shoots for last, they could/should possibly be wrapped & on (hopefully just Summer) Hiatus by this time next week. Based on a 7-8 day shooting schedule, anyway.

If you'd like to see Dennis' message, you can find it here:

https://m.facebook.com/Five0Redux/posts/992863780726849

Edited by BW Manilowe

2 hour season finale schedule for May 8th.

Friday, May 8

9:00-11:00 PM HAWAII FIVE-0 (2-Hour Season Finale)

You beat me to it! I just came over to post the same thing.

I'm not entirely positive, but I think the 2 hours is actually 2 *separate* episodes (which would be 524 & 525) airing back-to-back, not a single 2-hour episode. That's what I've heard anyway. And I hope it is 2 separate eps instead of 1 expanded ep; with my Internet connection, it'll be easier to get 2 separate eps downloaded from iTunes than 1 expanded ep.

Also, Peter Lenkov allegedly ended the Finale with a cliffhanger. So I really hope we get our S6 renewal (even if they preface the renewal with the caveat S6 is the last season) & the cliffhanger doesn't leave us hanging permanently, like the cliffhanger did in what proved to be the Series Finale of Papa Caan's show, Las Vegas (which he'd left, & been replaced in by Tom Selleck, by the time it got cancelled).

They did a cliffhanger in which Molly Sims' character (Papa Caan's daughter in the show) went into premature labor/pregnancy complications with her & Josh Duhamel's character's baby, during a double wedding involving them & another couple on the show. The producers expected the show would be back the following season & the cliffhanger would be resolved. Then NBC unexpectedly pulled the plug on the show & left everyone hanging on the outcome of the cliffhanger.

Supposedly CBS said they're not announcing H50's fate until the Upfronts this May. I think CBS' Upfront is on something like May 13th.

But, some fans have recently been Tweeting Peter Lenkov that they're concerned about whether there'll be an S6 or not. He told them not to worry.

And then there's the thing of CBS & NBC apparently had to do some kind of negotiating for Masi Oka to be able to reprise his role as Hiro in Heroes Reborn & do H50 at the same time. Masi even thanked his bosses at both networks/both shows for working it out so he could do both at the same time, when he Tweeted about reprising his Heroes role.

So I'm taking that as another good sign about the renewal chances. If H50 filming wasn't gonna conflict with Heroes Reborn filming at some point (other than apparently now, when they're doing some sort of work on it & H50 is still completing their S5 Finale--there was a cast pic taken & Tweeted/posted online yesterday & it was stated that Masi wasn't in it 'cause he was in Hawaii working on the H50 S5 Finale), since Heroes Reborn is a multi-episode storyline, why would CBS & NBC have to negotiate about Masi's availability? If H50 got cancelled, Masi would be free & clear to do Heroes Reborn.

Daniel Dae Kim is pictured with Olympic (& former Dancing with the Stars) Champion Kristi Yamaguchi, at the afterparty for the taping of Dancing with the Stars' 10th Anniversary Special; the party was held at Greystone Manor in Hollywood/Los Angeles, California, last night (Tuesday). The Anniversary Special, for those interested, will air in the coming weeks on ABC.

Though DWTS is currently airing its 20th "season"/"cycle", it's only the show's 10th Anniversary because they air a new edition/competition twice in each TV season (Fall & Spring) & they began airing the show 10 calendar years ago--2005.

Anyway, here's the link to the pic. It's the 10th 1 from the top of the page (or it should be; I think I counted right); it's above a pic of current celeb contestant, double amputee war hero Noah Galloway. If that doesn't help, just keep going down the page until you see Kristi & DDK sitting together; he's wearing his glasses in the pic. You also might be able to see the photo captions (at the bottom of the photos) if you click on the bottom area of the photos themselves; the caption for DDK & Kristi's pic identifies them as being in the pic.

http://www.people.com/article/dancing-with-the-stars-people-anniversary-party?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

Grace Park apparently did at least 1 interview with the media about the "Kono mythology/origins" episode airing this Friday. The interview appears to have been done with a writer from The Fresno Bee, I'm not sure how recently, & it was run in today's Honolulu Star-Advertiser. I already read it twice; it's good. Here's the link:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/features/20150426__Episode_reveals_Konos_history.html?mobile=true

(edited)

Executive Producer/Showrunner Peter Lenkov talks to EW.com (Entertainment Weekly magazine's website) about the S5 finale & plans for the presumed (& apparently now more likely than not) S6. The article *is* spoilery, for tonight & where PL wants to go with some things in a presumed S6.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/08/hawaii-five-0-season5-finale-spoilers

Peter Lenkov *also* talked to The Hollywood Reporter about the S5 finale. The interview is different than the EW.com 1 linked above, & just as worth reading. It covers similar spoiler ground for tonight as EW.com, but not really as much for the potential S6 as EW.com did.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hawaii-five-0-finale-wedding-794379

Edited by BW Manilowe
(edited)

Somewhere in LA, Scott Caan is driving his fist through a windshield upon hearing the news...

I don't think so.  I don't think he hates working there as some have implied.  He and Alex signed on for at least 6-7 seasons, and although Scott may have to commute back and forth, he had to know this was a possibility when the show became a hit.  I will say this, i don't want another season of sporadic 5-0 members not working together.  The last two episodes of the season were excellent, imo, because I had the things I love about the show (McDanno, entire team working a case, drama, action, fun).  Next year might be their final year and so Peter Lenkov better make sure that all his players are accounted for for most of the season next year.  I think this year suffered a lot for the spotty episodes of not having Steve and Danny together, everyone working different cases, etc.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 2

Early spoilers from TVLine & Lenkov for Ep 601 are in the Spoilers and Speculation thread. If you wanted to see Kono & Adam's actual wedding (or more of it than what we ended up seeing of Chin & Malia's wedding, anyway), &/or you aren't fond of Catherine &/or Michelle Borth, you'll probably be disappointed by what's posted. Just fair warning.

(edited)

Delurking with exciting potential future casting news: according to an article on EW.com,  Chris Pratt shot Jurassic World in Hawaii and he loved it so much that he said he wanted a role on Hawaii-Five-O if it meant he could stay in Hawaii longer so Lenkov is willing to give him one-if he (Pratt) has got the time, that is.

Edited by DollEyes

Delurking with exciting potential future casting news: according to an article on EW.com, Chris Pratt shot Jurassic World in Hawaii and he loved it so much that he said he wanted a role on Hawaii-Five-O if it meant he could stay in Hawaii longer so Lenkov is willing to give him one-if he (Pratt) has got the time, that is.

And here's the link to the article DollEyes was referring to:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/15/hawaii-five-o-offers-job-chris-pratt

CBS is airing repeats from S5 again this week in the timeslot formerly occupied by David Letterman's The Late Show, which will be occupied by Stephen Colbert's The Late Show beginning in September.

That would be after your late local CBS news, at approximately 11:35PM Eastern/10:35PM Central Time.

I think the eps being aired this week start with Ep 510, & are 510-512; then, for some unexplained reason, they cycle back to Eps 501 & 502, respectively, on Thursday night & Friday night.

(edited)

For those interested in the "Why is Scott Caan in fewer eps than (at least) Alex O'Loughlin all of a sudden (& how many eps is he gonna miss in S6)?" situation, here's an article link, from 1 of the fan Twitter feeds for the show earlier today, which explains how that situation will go down this season.

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in/item/39426-tv-q-a-hawaii-five-0-pennsylvania-ems-tests-and-weather-on-local-news

It's from a "TV-Related Q&A" column in the/a Pittsburgh newspaper. It's the opening item, & the person asking the question seems to be as unhappy as many of the rest of us when Scott isn't in an episode. Or at least they're as perplexed as some of us as to why Scott's able to be written out of so many episodes (which probably aren't really that many in reality; it just seems like a lot more if you like the Danny Williams character), when at least the rest of "the Core 4" (original cast/original make up of the Five-0 team) are able to be on set filming in Hawaii each week even if, like Chin & Kono many weeks, certain actors may only have 1 or 2 lines or scenes in an ep.

Anyway, the writer of the column was able to talk to Scott during CBS (& her "sister" networks)' party, the end of last week, during the Annual Summer Meeting of the TCA (Television Critics Association) in Los Angeles (there are pics on the internet of Scott attending this party).

For those who don't wanna read the linked article, here's what Scott personally told the writer:

"I do five episodes less than (series star) Alex (O'Loughlin)," said Caan, who lives in Los Angeles while the show shoots in Hawaii. "I just do a couple episodes less so I can come home to see my family and stuff. They were cool about it so we just all came to that."

Bolding above is mine, to show SC apparently has the showrunners'/CBS' OK with this schedule--just as Tom Selleck appears to have their blessing to only be on Blue Bloods' set in NYC every 2 weeks to film (which has been previously mentioned in this forum), though I get that may be weird they're OK with both altered schedules since most people consider Tom a "TV legend" (for whom a negotiated work schedule is perhaps appropriate, to secure his involvement in a project) while Scott hasn't reached that status yet & people are thinking, "Who is he--besides James Caan's son--to be able to get written completely out of certain eps when his 3 co-leads never are written out?"

I think, in the case of both Scott here & Tom Selleck on Blue Bloods, CBS & the respective showrunners realized what (the chemistry between Alex & Scott & McGarrett & Danny)/who (Tom Selleck) helped make the shows involved hits & they're willing to bend over backwards--at least as long as those shows are profitable for CBS--to do whatever they have to that'll keep those entities involved in the shows for as long as possible... such as allow them the "luxury" of an altered shooting schedule since their shows are filmed on location & not in LA.

Anyway... I think I heard, sometime around the S6 renewal announcement, that S6 will be 25 eps just like S5. If Alex is in all 25 of S6--even with fewer scenes in some episodes than most others, to give him something of a break--Scott will be in 20 eps this season (which I can deal with). That's 80% of the eps, if true, which honestly isn't a bad ratio.

And, his absence some weeks is apparently due to exactly what I thought it was--at least last season--family time (especially after his daughter's birth at the very start of last season; perhaps also given the facts that his mother passed from Cancer at the beginning of S3 & his dad, James, with whom he's extremely close, lives in LA, is now in his early 70's & not getting any younger), presumably also with time for his charity work (& other things we're not aware of) mixed in.

Edited by BW Manilowe

For the Catherine/Michelle Borth detractors, you should perhaps be happy with this news, from TVLine.com (& their sister site Deadline.com) earlier today:

http://tvline.com/2015/09/01/hawaii-five-0-season-6-cast-sarah-carter-mcgarrett-girlfriend/

Hawaii Five-0 Casts Sarah Carter as Steve's GF--What About Catherine?

On the heels of Falling Skies airing its series finale, Sarah Carter has booked a recurring arc on CBS' Hawaii Five-0--in a role that casts a pall on a certain island romance.

Our sister site Deadline reports that Carter will play Lynn, a nature enthusiast

who stumbles upon some trouble whilst on an adventurous date with Alex O'Loughlin's Steve McGarrett.

That, of course, raises questions about how things will (or won't) progress for Steve and Catherine (played by Michelle Borth), who had a warmish if awkward reunion in the Season 5 finale, when she returned to Hawaii after bailing on her love a year prior to fight the good fight in Afghanistan.

"We play that [steve/Catherine] uncertainty in the first couple episodes," Five-0 showrunner Peter M. Lenkov told TVLine during our Fall Preview Q&A. He added: "There's a big change that's going to happen in their relationship."

Carter's previous TV credits include DirecTV's Rogue, CSI: NY, Dirty Sexy Money and Shark.

Hawaii Five-0 opens its new season on Friday, Sept. 25.

TNT is still only airing eps (end of S3) from 3-5AM Eastern early Saturday mornings (instead of the 6-hour mini-marathons from Midnight-6AM). Tonight/this morning the eps are/were the 1 where the couple kidnapped kids to collect the welfare benefits they'd bring the family; & the 1 where Steve helps Doris, Mick, & Wade break into Craig T. Nelson's character's highly-protected office to get back the microfiche outlining Doris's covert CIA ops work (her bargaining chip to supposedly keep her family safe if she ever decided to retire from CIA field work). Craig had stolen from Doris--probably because info on it would be a problem to his pending appointment as a high-level government intelligence/national security department head.

It looks like Lili Simmons, who plays Danny's girlfriend Melissa--formerly known as Amber--is now in Hawaii filming her part of Ep 614.

This is widely believed to be this season's Valentine's Day ep because it also involves the characters of Lynn Downey (played by Sarah Carter), who's supposed to be Steve's new love interest, & SFPD Inspector Abby Dunn (played by Julie Benz), who's supposed to be Chin's new love interest. They also filmed, late last week, with at least Alex O'Loughlin & Scott Caan at a Victoria's Secret store somewhere in Waikiki; Victoria's Secret can be a popular place for guys who need to buy Valentine's (& other) presents for their ladies.

Anyway, Lili posted this Tweet earlier today &, if you look at the Instagram pic she linked to in it, it's a pic that appears to have been taken somewhere in Honolulu (I sort of recognize the view).

https://twitter.com/liliflower33/status/668917650353864706

• Love 1

It appears Alex & family are spending Christmas in Australia. If you read this, DO NOT stop reading at the paragraph where Alex says it'll be his first Aussie Christmas in a long time.

There's more to the article below the big box with the ad break (or whatever) in it that's under the "first Aussie Christmas in a long time" paragraph. I didn't know that the first time I read it & missed some interesting stuff--like Alex apparently *isn't* on contract right now.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv-insider-alex-oloughlin-brings-his-family-home-for-christmas-and-why-were-watching-more-kiwi-tv/news-story/4411b1a12735e569a4a0c390ff00d55b

(edited)

Daniel Dae Kim will make his Broadway debut during what's hopefully part of the hiatus between S6 & S7.

He will take the role of the King of Siam in the current revival of The King and I, playing at Lincoln Center Theatre in NYC, from May 3rd through June 26th (ending his run early enough to get back to Honolulu in time for shooting to begin on S7 in early July, should the show go to S7).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/daniel-dae-kim-make-broadway-857528?utm_source=twitter

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2