Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

There will be an H50 former cast members reunion on this week's episode of Lucifer on Fox (& there was another H50 former cast reunion in an earlier episode this season).

For those who don't know, Lauren German--who played Governor Denning's addition to/spy on the team, Officer Lori Weston, in the majority of S2--is the female lead on this new series. It airs Monday nights at 9PM Eastern/8PM Central on Fox.

Tom Sizemore, who played HPD Internal Affairs Investigator turned Chief of Detectives Captain Vincent Fryer in S2, is guesting on this week's episode of Lauren's show (& actor Sam T. Jones, Governor Denning himself, was a guest star in, I think, the second episode of the show).

Yay! I'm glad they are getting one more year. I hope no one feels the need to bring Catherine back unless it's to drop her down a volcano. :-)

Theoretically speaking, they could still go past S7. There was no "this is the show's final season" caveat attached to the renewal announcement.

If a decision like that has been made before the renewal announcement comes out, it's usually part of the renewal announcement. And they never said that about the show, so that's why I'm saying it could even go past S7. Of course those of us who still love it could end up being "blindsided" by a "The final episodes start Friday night" promo at midseason in S7, just like when fans of The Good Wife learned their show ends in May from a "The Final 9 Episodes" promo during this year's Super Bowl, which aired on CBS.

And I agree with you about Catherine. I never had a problem with her (or Michelle Borth, because I either never saw the social media crap she's been accused of, or else I thought she wasn't behaving in the way some accused her of, more like standing up to ardently pro-McDanno bullies; & I like both McDanno & McRollins, by the way), & I thought Catherine & Steve were good together... Until she started lying to him--& to Danny--in the last few eps we've seen her in. So, because of that stuff, as far as I'm concerned she can stay as far away as possible from Honolulu for as long as possible.

I liked Lynn/Sarah Carter with Steve this season; I'd like to see where that relationship might go. Of course, as soon as Peter Lenkov Tweeted about S7, Catherine/McRollins fans started replying to him about bringing McRollins back in S7. Sigh...

By the way... Ep 7 of S7 will be Ep 150 overall (already!).

Good news for the renewal. That being said, I hate that Scott Cann is gone for so many episodes. I think it's usually 5 episodes. Although, that could have been because he had became a new father, right? Maybe, he'll be there for a full in Season 7. Does anyone have any Intel on this subject?

Good news for the renewal. That being said, I hate that Scott Cann is gone for so many episodes. I think it's usually 5 episodes. Although, that could have been because he had became a new father, right? Maybe, he'll be there for a full in Season 7. Does anyone have any Intel on this subject?

Scott is usually gone for 5 of the eps each season, yeah. I'm not sure now if he started getting written out of some eps in S3 (Fall 2012-Spring 2013) or S4 (Fall 2013-Spring 2014). But it was definitely before his daughter, Josie, was born (she was born July 9, 2014, the day after S5 filming started in Hawaii; I remember this very clearly 'cause I was keeping track of the date S5 began filming so I could hopefully watch the cast interviews from the set blessing ceremony online & 'cause I'd read somewhere that the baby was supposedly due on July 5th, which is my birthday so I was also waiting for birth news in case we ended up sharing the same birthday). At least as I remember it. I think that's as far back as the "Where was Scott/Danny this ep?" type questions began appearing.

If Scott hasn't been in the full season going as far back as S3 or S4, I'd say the chances of him being in every ep in S7 are probably slim to none unless they found some way/some perk he'd be interested in & doesn't have yet to really make it worth his while to plant his butt in Hawaii more often in S7 than he has since S2.

I mean, his 20 month-old daughter lives in LA with her mom/Scott's partner, for 1 thing, & I would hope he's trying to build/maintain those relationships (or at least the 1 with his daughter); his dad--with whom Scott's really close, having been raised by him after his parents split when he was a toddler, & who isn't terribly young anymore--also lives there, for another thing. Keeping in mind his mom also passed from Cancer the same week they were holding the S3 Sunset on the Beach premiere party (Scott was apparently supposed to attend, but had to be back on the Mainland for his mom's funeral), I could see where he'd feel like maybe at least time with his dad was getting more precious. Plus, there's also the fact he made it known in a number of interviews at the beginning of the show that he prefers the hustle & bustle of LA to the more laid-back Hawaiian lifestyle.

I don't really have any intel on this subject as far as the pending S7 goes. But, there is this article (more like a general TV Q&A column) by the TV writer from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, from early August last year, where an explanation for why Scott was written out of certain eps in recent seasons & how many eps he was written out of, was finally given--& apparently gotten--straight from Scott's mouth when the writer ran into Scott at some pre-season (pre-H50 S5, so this was going on before then, whether it started in S3 or S4) party for CBS & all the networks CBS owns. The bit with Scott is the first Q&A in the column. I also posted it a page or so upthread, but I reposted it here as I don't know how to link back to a previous post on the forums' mobile version.

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in/item/39426-tv-q-a-hawaii-five-0-pennsylvania-ems-tests-and-weather-on-local-news

Basically, it appears that he's allowed to do 5 fewer eps, per season, than Alex, "so I can come home to see my family and stuff." (quote from Scott in the article).

This was an agreement apparently reached at some point between/among Scott & all the "suits" connected to the show & CBS who would have to agree to such a thing, whether it's actually been written into his contract or it's merely a "gentleman's agreement" & just a verbal thing with a handshake. Another quote from Scott in the article: "They were cool about it so we just all came to that."

So, it appears he has the blessings of the "suits" involved with the show to do this, whether it's actually written into his contract or was done as a verbal agreement & a handshake.

As I said before/at the beginning of last season, if this season is another 25 ep season, & Scott's allowed to miss 5 eps per season, he's still in 20 eps, which is 80% of the season. I prefer to focus on that.

Yes, I'd like Scott to be in all the eps each season. But if writing him out of 20% of them, or whatever, will keep him on the show, as long as possible, I'll be quite happy to take him in however many eps each season that I can get.

• Love 1

DDK has apparently arrived in NYC to prepare for his stint as The King of Siam in The King and I at Lincoln Center Theater. His hair has also been cut & styled into a more traditional style for Siam (Thailand) in the period during which the musical takes place. He Tweeted/Instagrammed a pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEJ1NilBK8B/

He's doing the show until sometime in June, as I recall. His hair probably won't have all that much time to grow back before S7 filming starts in probably early July. I'm looking forward to any possible explanations in S7 for why Chin has a haircut like that, if they're as necessary as I'm expecting.

• Love 1

He's doing the show until sometime in June, as I recall. His hair probably won't have all that much time to grow back before S7 filming starts in probably early July. I'm looking forward to any possible explanations in S7 for why Chin has a haircut like that, if they're as necessary as I'm expecting.

Or he could just, you know, wear a hat.  I think he's worn a baseball cap before.  Or he could wear a wig or toupee.  Characters on shows get haircuts and sometimes the show just doesn't mention it.  Simmons on "Criminal Minds Beyond Borders" got a noticeable haircut and none of the other characters said anything.

Daniel Dae Kim will guest co-host Live with Kelly (formerly Live with Kelly and Michael, as of Monday, May 16th) on Friday, May 20th.

Also, he made his Broadway debut, as the King of Siam--opposite actress Marin Mazzie as Anna Leonowens--in the current revival of The King and I at New York's Lincoln Center Theater last night. He apparently got very good reviews for his performance & he & Ms. Mazzie took their bows wearing traditional Hawaiian leis--ti leaf for Daniel, floral for Ms. Mazzie--with their costumes.

Sorry for the very late notice! In case anyone sees this in time, DDK will be on Watch What Happens Live TONIGHT (Thursday). It airs on Bravo at 11PM Eastern/10PM Central. Check local listings for the correct channel & time in your area (especially if you're west of Central Time), & if/when there are any repeats in case you miss the live airing & you're interested in seeing this.

CBS announced their 2016-2017 Fall Schedule this morning at a breakfast which supposedly was to precede the "flashier" presentation later today.

Anyway... If you haven't guessed, we still have the Friday at 9PM Eastern/8PM Central timeslot, followed by Blue Bloods at 10PM Eastern/9PM Central.

We do, however, have a new lead-in. The new reboot of MacGyver will air at 8PM Eastern/7PM Central. And the Executive Producer of that show is our very own Peter Lenkov (who will remain Executive Producer of H50 as well).

The entire CBS Fall Schedule for 2016-2017 can be found here if you're interested.

https://twitter.com/variety/status/732928637209575424

I'm glad Hawaii Five-0 held on to the Friday at 9 spot.  It's the perfect way to escape after a long week.  And who knows, the new  lead in may even increase ratings a bit.

FYI... Peter Lenkov posted to his Social Media accounts today (Monday) that S7 will begin shooting on July 6th. So, less than a month & everyone will be back to work in Honolulu.

The writers went back to work at the beginning of this month (& there are some new ones this season; they've already made their presence known on Twitter, but I don't think they're recognizable names from other shows--I didn't recognize them anyway).

Congratulations go out to Daniel Dae Kim & Martin Starr (aka "Toast", the team's computer hacker criminal informant). They are among the actors named yesterday (Wednesday) to join the membership of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences--the group which chooses the nominees & winners for the Academy Awards (aka the Oscars). Further information is available at the article linked here:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/academy-new-members-diversity-women-1201806086/

S7 is now in production in Honolulu. It began, on Wednesday, July 6th, with the traditional Hawaiian blessing on the set & the cast & crew members who were assembled for the ceremony. A good number of the cast was present, including Alex O'Loughlin, Grace Park, Chi McBride, Daniel Dae Kim (who seems to have just let his hair grow back as he was doing The King and I on Broadway, instead of maintaining the character-related haircut he started the role with, because his hair looks pretty "Chin-like" in video of DDK from the blessing ceremony), Jorge Garcia, Dennis Chun (HPD Sgt. Duke Lukela), Shawn Mokuahi-Garnett (Kamekona's Cousin Flippa) & Teilor Grubbs (Gracie Williams). Scott Caan wasn't at the blessing, but he hasn't attended 1 since around S2 or S3 & I don't believe cast attendance has ever been mandatory anyway. Billy V, the Hawaii News Now Sunrise Entertainment reporter said Scott wasn't due on set until later this week (also, his daughter, Josie, who lives in LA as far as I know, turns 2 on Saturday [the 9th], so...). Masi Oka also wasn't there, but I haven't seen if there was a reason given for his absence.

Someone else present at the set blessing was veteran character actress Rosalind Chao. Among her best-known roles is Soon-Lee, the Korean woman who was separated from her family during a bombing/evacuation from a bombing & then sort of taken in by the members of the M*A*S*H 4077th, who then falls for & marries Sgt. Max Klinger in the final season of M*A*S*H.

Rosalind's playing the new Governor of Hawaii on the show this season, according to the interview she did with HNN's Billy V at the blessing ceremony. Nothing was mentioned about the character other than it's apparently a recurring role (like with Governors Jameson & Denning). They didn't give the character's name or go into why the change from Governor Denning to this new Governor (whether Denning lost in an offscreen election or was supposed to have left office/was replaced under other circumstances, although he was technically Governor from S2-6, which would technically encompass a 4-year term & he could've just lost re-election). My feeling is Richard T. Jones, who played Governor Denning, may have simply become too unavailable, due to other projects, to continue the role of Governor Denning. Or the change in Governors could be a plot thing, but I hope they're not going back to the "corrupt female Governor" thing. Since the new Governor's both female & Asian, if they hadn't already cast her in another role (Laura Hills, the ill-fated Public Safety Liaison under Jean Smart's Governor Patricia Jameson in S1), Kelly Hu might've been another good choice, in my opinion, to play the new Governor. Just saying.

Anyway... For anyone who missed the blessing coverage/cast & Peter Lenkov interviews, & might be interested in them, the page linked below has a fairly comprehensive list of links to the related videos from their various sources. Just look under the orange "Hawaii Five-0 Season 7" wave logo toward the top of the page, where it also says "July 6, 2016" (or just "July 6").

http://www.alex-the-best.de/aolhaw7.htm

• Love 3

A small bit of new information on the new Governor character this coming season, being played by veteran character actress Rosalind Chao. The character's name is Governor Mahoe (presumably pronounced "Ma-hoe-ay").

Also, happy second birthday to Josie James Caan, daughter of Scott Caan & his partner Kacy Byxbee!

Interesting casting news about Rosalind Chao.  I have always liked that actress, and I am looking forward to her taking on that role.  I wonder what sort of character she'll be...  I loved Pat Jameson, I wish she hadn't corrupt and killed.  Denning coming in was a total switch, but I ended up appreciating how complex his character was--not above political favors, but also pretty hard-nosed about 5-0's tactics.  I wonder what Governor Mahoe will be like, and how she'll interact with our favorite task force!

Ask Ausiello 7/15/16

Question: Hawaii Five-0 is casting some interesting people for Season 7: first Rosalind Chao, and now Faran Tahir, if you can confirm. Do you have anything on their characters? —Lisa
Ausiello: Chao, as we reported last week, is playing the new governor of Hawaii, while American Crime and Dallas alum Tahir will guest-star in Episode 2 as Lucky, a suave and polished — and very wealthy — Egyptian-born businessman.

(edited)

2 thoughts on this casting:

Peter Lenkov really likes using alum from CSI:New York. I'm waiting for Sela Ward to show up next.

Claire Forlani had a fairly large arc on NCIS:Los Angeles back in their Season 2/3. It was a pretty big deal when her character died. Given that this show and NCSI:LA exist in the same universe, I'm a little crossed-eyed.

Edited by anna0852
On 7/8/2016 at 6:03 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Someone else present at the set blessing was veteran character actress Rosalind Chao. Among her best-known roles is Soon-Lee, the Korean woman who was separated from her family during a bombing/evacuation from a bombing & then sort of taken in by the members of the M*A*S*H 4077th, who then falls for & marries Sgt. Max Klinger in the final season of M*A*S*H.

And Keiko on Star Trek TNG and DS9!  I'm excited about this casting choice!

1 minute ago, Jobiska said:

And Keiko on Star Trek TNG and DS9!  I'm excited about this casting choice!

Yeah! I forgot she was O'Brien's wife on TNG & DS9 too (that was how they wrote in when Alexander Siddig & his then-wife, who played Kira[?] Nerys, were having their real-life son--there was some sort of accident onscreen & Keiko became their gestational carrier... Or maybe vice-versa). I've always liked her, since I first remember seeing her, & the more stuff I'm reminded of her having been in (that I liked), the more excited I am that she's even a recurring part of the show's ohana for at least this season.

On 7/24/2016 at 11:09 AM, anna0852 said:

2 thoughts on this casting:

Peter Lenkov really likes using alum from CSI:New York. I'm waiting for Sela Ward to show up next.

Claire Forlani had a fairly large arc on NCIS:Los Angeles back in their Season 2/3. It was a pretty big deal when her character died. Given that this show and NCSI:LA exist in the same universe, I'm a little crossed-eyed.

Well the JAG/NCIS + Hawaii 5-0 universe works more like the Law & Order/Chicago + Homicide Life on The Street universe than the MCU which used to push the it's all connected had the Rhoady/War Machine change up and is now about to use Alfrie Woodward in a second role.

On 7/24/2016 at 5:26 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Yeah! I forgot she was O'Brien's wife on TNG & DS9 too (that was how they wrote in when Alexander Siddig & his then-wife, who played Kira[?] Nerys, were having their real-life son--there was some sort of accident onscreen & Keiko became their gestational carrier... Or maybe vice-versa). I've always liked her, since I first remember seeing her, & the more stuff I'm reminded of her having been in (that I liked), the more excited I am that she's even a recurring part of the show's ohana for at least this season.

Keiko's baby was transplanted to Kira after an accident. From Memory Alpha:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kirayoshi_O'Brien

20 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Keiko's baby was transplanted to Kira after an accident. From Memory Alpha:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kirayoshi_O'Brien

Cool. Thanks for that info. It was long enough ago I couldn't remember exactly how they wrote Nana Visitor's (I even remembered her real name this time) real pregnancy into the show, though I remembered they did & it somehow involved a surrogate type pregnancy.

By the way, according to the weekly blog about the show that's published in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser this past Saturday (yesterday) the first name of Governor Mahoe, the new Hawaii Governor character being played this season by character actress Rosalind Chao, is... Keiko (She's played a lot of Keikos; I guess casting directors think she looks like a Keiko). This was mentioned at the end; the main part of the blog was about Chi McBride's character, (Captain) Lou Grover.

On September 7, 2016 at 10:08 PM, anna0852 said:

Is Grace pregnant again? They might be needing to cover another maternity leave. 

If she is, they're keeping it even quieter than they did when she was pregnant between the end of S3 & midseason of S4. None of my Hawaii-based sources on Twitter &/or Facebook have posted anything about local Honolulu media saying she's pregnant (which they did last time), nor has Grace P officially announced a pregnancy (but she never did last time, & still hasn't mentioned her child in any interviews--though a fan of the show posted on social media, I think towards the beginning of S6 filming, that he saw Grace P & her baby [which was said to be a boy] waiting for a flight [presumably the same flight] at the same gate as the poster at the Atlanta airport [they apparently didn't bother her for a photo &/or autograph, just noticed she & her baby were apparently on the same flight; I think it was going somewhere besides Honolulu--as I remember, it was over a weekend & Grace P was supposed to be appearing at a Sci-Fi/Fantasy type fan convention somewhere with other Battlestar Galactica reboot stars that weekend]).

At Grace P's real-life age (though I know Kono's supposed to be somewhat younger), I would assume any pregnancy for Kono & Adam would be just a storyline creation of Peter Lenkov &/or another H50 writer, as Danny's ex Rachel's pregnancy with Charlie was--though Claire van der Boom, & presumably her character Rachel Edwards, is a bit younger, in real-life, than Grace P. And if Grace P were expecting again at her age, which is considered "advanced maternal age" for a pregnancy (as actress Katherine Heigl's said her age [slightly younger than Grace P] is--she & her husband are currently expecting a son via her/their first pregnancy, after adopting 2 daughters together) I would wonder if it weren't through surrogacy or adoption... Although Grace P would still be entitled to, & presumably take, maternity leave in some form even if another woman physically gave birth to her child.

By the way, I try to refer to Grace Park as "Grace P", & Teilor Grubbs' character as "Grace W" or "Gracie/Gracie W" in posts so it's clear who I'm talking about since they have a common name, either in real life or in the show & that can possibly lead to confusion.

Apologies for all the strikeouts in my previous post. They've happened in other posts in other threads & forums & I'm not sure why. I'm not using any manual coding or other coding, via buttons, from the posting choices which would cause them to appear in my posts & when I try to remove them they don't remove.

Anyway... For those who may be interested & have forgotten, the 6th season DVD set will be released in Region 1 (US & Canada) on Tuesday of this week, the 13th... A mere 10 days ahead of the S7 Season Premiere (& the S7 Sunset on the Beach Waikīkī Beach Premiere Party, or "Family Reunion" as Peter Lenkov called it recently on his Social Media accounts, including expected appearances by the entire lead [main titles] cast plus Teilor Grubbs & other recurring cast members, a big screen showing of Ep 701, the season premiere, & a special performance by country singer/frontman for the rock group Hootie and the Blowfish, Darius Rucker--Could he have a connection to the ep filming that week? The previous SOTB musical guests all have had connections to the ep filming the same week that they've appeared at SOTB. Just saying.).

The US/Region 1 is just getting DVDs on Tuesday, by the way. If you want Blu-Ray discs, you'll have to wait until a "region-free" set is released somewhere else in the world or get a player for another region's discs which is compatible with the US' electrical voltage.

The S6 DVDs came out yesterday. The McDanno (or maybe O'Caan, or both) fans might find a scene in the Gag Reel interesting; I don't wanna spoil it for anyone still waiting for their set by saying more. Other than I kinda got a kick outta it, as a McDanno fan from Ep 1. 

The McGarrett/OMC fans in the fanfiction realm might find another blooper scene equally interesting. Again, I don't wanna spoil it by saying more.

Ming-Na Wen is one of the leads on "Agents of SHIELD", so she's probably busy.  Tamlyn Tomita guested and was wasted on the first season of "Zoo", and I'm not sure if Lauren Tom is doing anything lately.  Would be nice to get Tamlyn and Lauren onto the show and have a mini "Joy Luck Club" reunion.

10 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

After reading about the S6 gag reel, I ran off to YouTube to see if it was there, and it is!  Yup.  BW Manilowe is right, there's a scene that made me go "whoa!" and squee with McDanno delight.

Did you catch the 1 with just Steve I also mentioned? It's closer to the end. The McDanno 1 is more towards the beginning, I think.

It's only the 4th week of the season, but right now the Cancellation Bear at Zap2It.com/TV By the Numbers says H50 is "Likely to be renewed by May, 2017" (as opposed to their usual dire predictions of an end of season cancellation as soon as the season premiere aired the last few seasons). Their change in attitude is apparently attributed to what they call the "solid" start the show's had in the ratings so far this season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/cancel-bear-vs-cbs-week-3-comeback-time-for-hawaii-five-0/

On the other hand, TVLine says what it always does about a cancellation notice for the show: Could go either way.

http://tvline.com/2016/10/03/renewed-tv-shows-2017-renewal-scorecard-cancelled-series/2/

New interview with Alex from Australian media. Among other things, he says he's signed through next season (S8), if the show goes that long. But he thinks he's ready to leave the show when his contract ends, due to the amount of injuries he's racked up from doing his own stunts--he cites a shoulder injury (which could be from as far back as S1) & a back injury, in particular--as well as wanting to be able to move enough to play football with the grandkids when that time comes.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/alex-oloughlin-on-his-hawaii-fiveo-exit/news-story/002b6f603f395e7bd7eb65298d77beaa

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Maybe doing all those stunts wasn't a great idea?

I guess we have an end date now.

Well, he was a bit younger when the show began filming. As he said, his most recent birthday (& Scott's, for that matter, since they're back-to-back, born in the same year) was his 40th, & the older you get the harder it can be to do demanding physical work, like stunts--which Alex likes to do (I think he's licensed in stunt work in Australia). I don't know that doing the stunts wasn't a great idea; maybe it was more like how many per season & what kinds of stunts they were.

I wouldn't completely put my money on the end of Alex's current contract being the end of the show, like he said. A number of other actors have said the same thing about their shows, then they've ended up staying with the shows longer if not until they're cancelled by the network. We'll have to wait & see if he sticks to that, if the ratings "comeback" so far this season holds, how CBS feels about continuing since it's shot on location (& therefore more expensive, especially when original cast salaries, in particular, normally grow the longer a show stays on the air), & how the rest of the cast feels about continuing, among other things I'm probably not thinking of right now. But I do know it seems like Peter Lenkov (the showrunner) is willing to work on the show as long as CBS will keep renewing it, for what that's worth.

• Love 1
(edited)

The part of 1 of Danny's sisters has been cast. Her character name is Bridget. The character will appear in the 10th ep this season (or roughly about 5 weeks from Friday, the night Ep 705 airs, if there are no pre-emptions between now & 5 weeks from now).

http://tvline.com/2016/10/17/hawaii-five-0-missy-peregrym-cast-danny-sister/

No word if she's supposed to be the mother of Eric Russo, aka "E-Train", Danny's nephew who seems to have replaced Charlie Fong as Five-0's go-to crime lab tech, or not.

Somehow I don't think so though; she seems a bit young, unless Eric was supposed to have been a teen pregnancy. I think Eric's mother is the other sister I remember was mentioned once in passing, I'm pretty sure in another ep with Eric in it. That sister was named Stella. And I remember the mention, because I wondered, when I heard it, if the name "Stella" was a nod to Melanie Griffith's real-life daughter with Antonio Banderas, since Melanie's been playing Danny's mom, Clara, on the show. I just can't remember, right now, which episode Danny's sister Stella was mentioned in. EDITED TO ADD: I Googled & Danny's sister Stella was mentioned in the S6 premiere.

And now I think we have the names of all the Williams siblings, for those who care (not necessarily in order, though I think Danny's the eldest overall, & I know from canon Danny's definitely the eldest of the brothers): Danny, Stella, Bridget, & Matthew.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some info.