Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

Yikes.  Those were some pretty strong words about Catherine from Alex.  Not sure if they're coming from a pretty macho kind of attitude (both personal and about his character), or dislike for the actress, or both.  He is so over the Steve/Catherine romance, although Peter Lenkov seems to feel differently (about both Catherine and Lynn), so who knows what's going to happen.  

Masi Oka (& his character, Max Bergman) is leaving the show! His last appearance will be in Ep 713, which is filming now, & today is/was his last day on set (if I read the article right).

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/17/hawaii-five-0-masi-oka-exit

And...

http://tvline.com/2016/11/17/hawaii-five-0-masi-oka-leaving-max-exit/

And...

http://cartermatt.com/230470/hawaii-five-0-season-7-masi-oka-exits-max-written-off/

And...

http://deadline.com/2016/11/hawaii-five-o-masi-oka-exiting-cbs-drama-series-seven-seasons-1201856833/#comment-list-wrapper (there are factual errors in this story--like Ep 713 DOESN'T air tonight, as they say; this week is Ep 709, which airs *tomorrow* night. With the holidays/holiday TV breaks starting, they may not/probably won't air Ep 713 until early 2017).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add another link.

Well, half the people don't bother showing up half the time anyway.

Caan was missing for several episodes.

Grace made "special" appearances during her "search" last season.

and Masi was missing for most of the first half of this season - on special vocation.

and if you look above, Alex is saying that he might leave this show altogether.

A lot of people are stating that this show may not come back next season anyway, partly due to the demands of all the actors.

If these people don't want to be on this show anymore, then cancel it already.

Edited by Twilight Man

Grace was on Maternity leave two seasons ago. She was present before and after otherwise. Alex is not talking about walking out or asking for anything special, he's just saying that he's probably not re-signing his contract and for valid reasons. 

11 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Grace was on Maternity leave two seasons ago. She was present before and after otherwise. Alex is not talking about walking out or asking for anything special, he's just saying that he's probably not re-signing his contract and for valid reasons. 

@Twilight Man: And Scott Caan being absent from episodes periodically is apparently a contractual thing. He's stated in at least 1 interview I've seen that TPTB is OK with it.

Grace P's Maternity Leave was actually from the end of S3 through about Midseason in S4 (when she returned permanently). She made 1 or 2, maybe 3 brief appearances before that, which I understand were filmed in her home base of Vancouver because she wasn't medically able to fly to film in Hawaii at the time--she was either still pregnant or had just given birth--& the other cast members in her scenes flew up to Canada to film with her. As I remember, that was at least Alex, DDK, & Ian Anthony Dale, who plays Kono's now-husband Adam Noshimuri. They all were in scenes where Vancouver was doubling for Hong Kong--when Adam gave himself up to the Yakuza to save Kono, or doubling for Tokyo or elsewhere in Japan--when McG, Chin & Kono nabbed some guy & interrogated him about where Adam was & what happened to him. There was also a scene around Thanksgiving in S4 when Kono tracked Adam to a diner somewhere & found him washing dishes there.

Then, at the end of that ep, or the next 1, Adam & Kono showed up at Steve's during a party the team & ohana was having during either an NFL Playoff Game or the Super Bowl. From that point, Adam & Kono were no longer on the run from the Yakuza & Grace P. was officially back from her Maternity Leave full-time.

I'll be the heretic here. Max was never that important to the show, maybe an episode a year got him into the opening credits. A loss of Kamekona scenes in favor of more Jerry however was devestating

On 1/14/2017 at 8:30 AM, Raja said:

I'll be the heretic here. Max was never that important to the show, maybe an episode a year got him into the opening credits. A loss of Kamekona scenes in favor of more Jerry however was devestating

I love both Kamekona and Jerry.  They both bring something wonderful to the show.  Flippa is expendable, however.  He's a character that has no impact one way or the other.

Alex's comments about Catherine I think were harsh - but true.  There's only so many times she could have jerked Steve around before he becomes stupid for continuing to try to make it work.  I think Alex explained it best - Catherine is like his mother.  His mother loved the job more than she loved him, and when she had to choose, she chose the job.  Steve came to realize that about Catherine, and just like he can't ever change his mother nor will she ever be the mother he wishes he had, the same is true of Catherine.  A life as a partner, a wife and a mother is not her desire as much as she may love Steve, and Steve wants a family life.  He has already put down roots in Hawaii with this Five-O team.  Catherine (and Doris) still can't stop moving.  So from that perspective, it makes sense that Steve would never go down that path with Catherine again.  The odds of her ripping his heart out at some point for a mission (just like Doris did to him) is 100%.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 4

In case we were worried the world of 5-0 wasn't whimsical enough we have a crossover with MacGyver coming up on March 10th!

I'm guessing Steve and Jack Dalton will try to out-soldier each other with Jack giving up when he realizes how crazy Steve is. Mac will bond with Danny over the challenges of having an insane partner. Kono and Riley will bond over a Microsoft Surface. Chin and Bozer will be in the background laughing at it all and Grover will find that his command style works well with Maddie's.

Now on MacGyver Riley has made specific reference to 5-0. I am wondering if this show has made reference to MacGyver at any point in time. In any case, the episodes should be fun.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, dwmarch said:

In case we were worried the world of 5-0 wasn't whimsical enough we have a crossover with MacGyver coming up on March 10th!

I'm guessing Steve and Jack Dalton will try to out-soldier each other with Jack giving up when he realizes how crazy Steve is. Mac will bond with Danny over the challenges of having an insane partner. Kono and Riley will bond over a Microsoft Surface. Chin and Bozer will be in the background laughing at it all and Grover will find that his command style works well with Maddie's.

Now on MacGyver Riley has made specific reference to 5-0. I am wondering if this show has made reference to MacGyver at any point in time. In any case, the episodes should be fun.

I linked to an article, in the Spoilers & Speculation thread, which talks about the plot (it's similar to, but slightly different from, the S1 "bad guys using a fake tsunami to distract from a real crime they're perpetrating" plot--only this time a real earthquake/the aftermath of 1 replaces the fake tsunami) & which characters will be involved in the crossover (Mac & Jack from MacGyver, & H50's Chin, Kono, & Kamekona--hence the pic of Taylor Wily by a MacGyver director's chair seen in your post).

The thing about the phrase "Five-0" is, unless Riley also said "Hawaii" or mentioned any of the characters, which I don't remember, that could've been about any cops anywhere; not just our Hawaiian task force. During the original H5O, the phrase "Five-O/Five-0" came to be used in real life to refer to all cops, in general. I haven't heard Steve, or anyone else on H50, make any MacGyver-related references (somebody "MacGyvering" their way out of a situation, references to characters in the reboot or to the Phoenix Foundation, etc.) at any point this season (which is when it would only be relevant since that reboot only started this season).

As I said in the post with the article I'm a little unclear as to whether this is a 2-part crossover, like the 1 with NCIS: Los Angeles in S2, or if it's just an episode of MacGyver with the H50 characters/actors as guest stars on that show. The article I linked to just mentions the story being in a MacGyver ep, & the pic of Taylor Wily was taken on their set (which is in Atlanta). But the article also says there will be filming in both Atlanta & Honolulu.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a word and fix a misplaced parenthesis.

MacGyver has already started setting up the crossover as of tonight's episode. The bad guy in tonight MacGyver was taking orders from Madison Grey, the serial killer played by Elizabeth Rohm. When Jack found out the call was going to Oahu he immediately volunteered to get ahold of an old buddy of his who is part of some special task force there. I'm guessing he means McGarrett since they could have crossed paths in the Special Forces community. In any case, since the crossover isn't happening until March I was surprised to see them setting it up already.

OK there's only, like, 9 eps left this season between filming & airing. But we may not see Danny's girlfriend, Melissa, much for the rest of the season (not that we saw her that much anyway... I'm just saying), in case this other show starts filming before then. The actress who plays her, Lili Simmons, has been cast in a season-long arc in Showtime's Ray Donovan.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ray-donovan-adds-trio-season-5-975719?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=Direct&utm_source=Direct

The linked article is from the People magazine website. It's about the actor who played the leader of the dating seminar in last Friday's Valentine's episode & the recent premature birth, at only 26 weeks, of his daughter Holden... who was in the NICU for 117 days after birth, but who seems to be doing well now. I just thought I'd share since I recognized the actor, both by name & in the article's photos.

http://people.com/babies/rob-huebel-daughter-holden-born-premature-26-weeks-nicu/

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I'm not surprised. The ratings were very solid. What is surprising is the rise in quality. I've been really enjoying this season, unlike the few that came before it. Last season, I didn't even care about a renewal. This season, I'm actually glad! I hope the writers keep up the good* work.

*relatively speaking, heh

On 3/29/2017 at 0:43 AM, Passepartout said:

Wonder if Alex could be a producer as it is time for him to be one. As really stars that have been on a show for a long time. Need to really be a producer.

I had read, during S1, though I don't know how serious it was, that Alex & Scott both were supposed to have producer-type credits by S5. I think Peter Lenkov said it in an interview.

(edited)

For those who think all of Danny's recent talk in the show about retirement means Scott's leaving the show (& making some happy by doing so), it looks like you shouldn't get your hopes up. Daniel Dae Kim recently posted to his Instagram account that the show has been renewed for S8 (which we know, & may have known, by the time he posted); & both Alex & Scott will be back for it. We should've expected Alex would be back--the "talk" has been that he's not leaving until after S8 ends. I honestly wasn't expecting Scott to go anywhere either; I assume his current deal where he gets to sit out 5 eps, or however many it is, per season will still be in effect though.

This is a link to an H50 fansite post with a screencap of Daniel's Instagram post (I don't do Instagram).

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=931931563575909

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add/remove/fix a comment.

From TV Line: Wondering if 1 of the cliffhangers in the season finale is meant to set up the previously rumored departure at the end of S8 of 1 of the main cast members (unless, of course, said cast member [NOT Scott Caan] can be convinced/decides to continue IF H50 is renewed for a 9th season in Spring, 2018... which could be entirely possible if the ratings continue the resurgence they seem to have started in this just-concluded season). Includes a response Tweet from Peter Lenkov posted after the show.

http://tvline.com/2017/05/12/hawaii-five-0-recap-season-7-finale/

Alex is 1 of 3 CBS stars on the cover (3 different covers, 1 with each star) of the new issue of CBS Watch! magazine (put out by the network). Subscribers are currently getting/awaiting their copies in the mail; if you don't subscribe & want a copy, I think Barnes & Noble carries it. I don't know the issue date though. Sorry.

Anyway, in the interview Alex lists the many physical injuries he's incurred during filming over the last 7 seasons; among these are a couple of herniated discs in his lower lumbar area of his back, for which he's been receiving stem cell treatments & which may have been his main impetus for saying in the Australian media that he wanted to leave the show at the end of S8, if it reached & ran through an 8th season.

Anyway, in this interview Alex says that the stem cell treatments have been like "magic" on his back & he can now see himself doing another season or 2 of the show (assuming, of course, the show gets renewed for at least S9 this coming Spring). So, if CBS is willing, there's apparently hope this coming season won't be the show's last.

Here's a link to where the entire interview, plus the photos, are screencapped & posted if anyone's interested. It may not be the easiest to read here, but it's the best I can do right now; if I get a better link I'll post it. You can at least see the pics.

https://h50koolaid.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/h50-alexoloughlin-cbs-watch-magazine-june-2017/

• Love 1

Not looking good for Kono--From "ask Matt" on tvline.com  

Is Kono leaving Hawaii Five-0? — Della
There’s no official word yet on the fate of Kono, who went “rogue” to deliver justice to the other hubs of the sex trafficking ring, but interpret this as you will: Five-0 for Season 8 is looking to cast the series regular role of a female lifeguard who was a first-rate candidate at the police academy until she got kicked out for 1) cheating on an exam and B) punching out a training officer. Don’t be surprised if this new arrival eventually makes her way onto McGarrett’s team.

13 hours ago, Passepartout said:

McGarrett takes on those rogue people that do not get a second chance it seems. That the world throws away.

And that use violence as a first resort!

• Love 1