Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Really hope that Catherine does back to tie up loose ends! Really she and Steve had great chemistry. Made Steve feel human.

Well, Cath & Steve had a lot of chemistry... until she found it necessary to become, basically, Doris (his mother) Version 2.0 & start lying to him & hiding stuff from him, etc. That made a lot of people not like her so much. I think Alex O'Loughlin's said in at least 1 interview that he doesn't see Steve & Cath getting back together because she's hurt him too much at this point.

(edited)

From the Honolulu Star-AdvertiserGarcia Uses Five-0 Breaks to Create Haunted Attraction in Kailua

In real life, as on the show, Jorge Garcia is a big fan of Halloween. This year, he's joined with a local special effects company in Honolulu to create a haunted attraction that's located in the Kailua area of Honolulu/Oʻahu & is open to the public through Halloween, including special nights for "keiki" (children) where the attraction's special scary effects are toned down so as not to overly scare the kids. Here's an interview he did about it from the Honolulu newspaper.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
  • Love 1
On 29.09.2017 at 11:17 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Thanks for posting this! It's quite hilarious that they decided to be more realistic and give Steve radiation poisoning, considering uranium wouldn't actually cause it. 

Also, it's interesting that Steve will mentor someone who's more like Danny, while Danny - someone who's more like Steve. 

I wish we didn't have to wait until the 7th episode for Adam. I also can't wait for the Halloween one! 

• Love 1

From the Honolulu Star-Advertiser:

H50 S8 Sunset on the Beach Finally Set for November 10th!

Per CBS & Peter Lenkov, it appears they've finally got a date for S8's Sunset on the Beach, which they couldn't (Chose not to because of the media to-do caused by the sudden, money-related, departures of DDK & Grace Park from the show's cast just days before S8 filming began?) find a date for before the season premiere ep aired on CBS (which has been the traditional timeframe for having the celebration).

The date is set for November 10th. Judging by some of the comments in the linked article (members of the military, I think both active & retired, are--somewhat pointedly, in my opinion--being invited to attend as it appears this will be over/near Veterans Day (V-Day weekend?) this year.

17 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Really think they ought to boycott it. Out of respect for Daniel and Grace. Sure there will be a lot more people showing up. But less over on what occurred.

It's over & done with.  We should respect the actors who had nothing to do with the controversy.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, roamyn said:
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, Passepartout said:

Really think they ought to boycott it. Out of respect for Daniel and Grace. Sure there will be a lot more people showing up. But less over on what occurred.

It's over & done with.  We should respect the actors who had nothing to do with the controversy.

Also, since Grace didn't make her own personal statement and hasn't said anything, she shouldn't be included in this.  It's wrong to put words in her mouth.  She's made the choice not to speak on it.  Daniel is speaking for himself and since we only know what has been published and have no firsthand knowledge we can only speculate.  I agree that is over and done with.  Daniel has moved on and it appears that the new show he is co-producing will be the new number one show of the season.  Honor Daniel by continuing to support his new show stay number one and supporting him in his new film role.  Daniel is now in a position where he can enable Asian actors to be recognized in leading television roles possibly leading to less disparity.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ally said:

Also, since Grace didn't make her own personal statement and hasn't said anything, she shouldn't be included in this.  It's wrong to put words in her mouth.  She's made the choice not to speak on it. Daniel is speaking for himself and since we only know what has been published and have no firsthand knowledge we can only speculate.  I agree that is over and done with.  Daniel has moved on and it appears that the new show he is co-producing will be the new number one show of the season.  Honor Daniel by continuing to support his new show stay number one and supporting him in his new film role.  Daniel is now in a position where he can enable Asian actors to be recognized in leading television roles possibly leading to less disparity.

The thing is, and with all due respect to Grace because I like her & always have (the rest of the cast too, for that matter), when she was on maternity leave between the end of (I think it was) S3 through about midseason of S4 (when Kono & Adam were on the run from the Yakuza because he killed his brother Michael in self-defense, or something similar, because he was about to kill Kono because she was a cop involved with Adam romantically & he thought it would cause problems for the Yakuza which Michael was involved with at the time) Grace never publicly announced she was pregnant either; the fans/public found out about it mostly because a local gossip columnist in Honolulu said something about her apparently being pregnant & being on maternity leave when she actually was written out of the show as being on the run from the Yakuza with Adam. So I think she's just 1 of those actresses who prefers to keep her private life private/doesn't choose to speak about that or stuff like her leaving the cast in the media like most other actors/public figures do. Which is fine because, while I appreciate public figures who choose to speak about it when they make the news for some reason that maybe isn't positive (like DDK about the pay dispute & when he had a DUI incident while he was on Lost, & Alex when he needed the time off during S2 because he was having the issue with painkillers he was taking for injuries from stunts he chose to do himself instead of letting his stunt double do it) I also appreciate when they choose to keep their private life/making the news for negative reasons private (as Grace has apparently has done both with her pregnancy & leaving the show because of the apparent pay dispute this season).

(edited)

From VarietyActress Claire Forlani Among Harvey Weinstein's Attempted, But Unsuccessful, Conquests

She claims he tried 5 times to start something with her; she managed to "duck and dive", as she called it &, thankfully, nothing happened.

Claire, of course, has a recurring role in H50 as retired FBI profiler Alicia Brown. And I think she's in the cast for the Halloween ep, which I posted the ep thread for yesterday (it's Ep 805, airing November 3rd).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add more info.

Really think that I am glad people like Claire F are finally had it with Harvey Weinstein. As really the jerk needs to be blacklisted forever. And how he treated women like you know whats. As really the guy should never be allowed to work. Up to thirty three women have come on forward like Claire. And many more as this should send a message that women are not you know whats.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Really think that I am glad people like Claire F are finally had it with Harvey Weinstein. As really the jerk needs to be blacklisted forever. And how he treated women like you know whats. As really the guy should never be allowed to work. Up to thirty three women have come on forward like Claire. And many more as this should send a message that women are not you know whats.

I think it's good, in that it started (restarted, taking the Cosby case into consideration?) a "national conversation" on the subject of sexual harassment in Hollywood/the entertainment industry/the general workplace. But it's amazing how some of the accusers are coming forward after someone else pulled/tried to pull a trip to the casting couch on them. I'm not saying that like I ever thought Weinstein was the only "movie mogul" doing this; what I'm saying is, I'm surprised people who weren't attacked by Weinstein are coming forward, instead of keeping silent since Weinstein wasn't involved with them. I suppose after Bill Cosby & Harvey Weinstein put together, women in Hollywood/the entertainment industry have finally decided they're tired of that crap (stronger word meant) & "they're mad as hell and they're not gonna take it anymore.", to paraphrase the late Peter Finch's character's signature phrase from Network

And I feel bad for Claire, that she had to go through that even though she managed to deflect it. But I loved seeing Meaghan Rath (Tani, the new girl on Five-0) & Peter Lenkov (the show's Creator/Executive Producer-Showrunner/sometimes writer) offering their support after she posted that on her social media.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a paragraph.
  • Love 2

From VarietyDaniel Dae Kim and Grace Park Among 16th Annual Unforgettable Gala Honorees

According to the article, this is the longest running celebration of Asian-American trailblazers in the entertainment industry. Daniel & Grace will be recognized for exemplifying the "devotion and the spirit of 'The Ultimate Drive' in their careers" with presenting sponsor BMW's Ultimate Drive Award. The gala will take place December 9th in Los Angeles.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:

5-0 show runners given the Magnum PI reboot

Looks like just as in the 80s as the original Five -O ran out of steam an ex Navy SEAL is in the wings to use the production facilities.

I don't think this version of H50 has run out of steam yet, but to each their own. As they say, "the opera ain't over until the fat lady sings." I don't even think she's begun vocal warmups yet.

I'm gonna be interested in seeing the female version of Higgins; I hope they get someone good to play her. So far, I kinda like Lenkov's "signature move" of genderswapping 1 of the classic characters.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Well I hope they learned a lesson from H5-0: Don't tinker with the opening theme! Also: Zeus and Apollo better be in (and they better be Dobermans and not Pit Bulls)!

Considering they've already paid homage to the Magnum, P.I. theme in an H50 ep, I don't expect them to go for a different 1 or to alter the original too much. I think they did learn their lesson from almost going wrong with the H50 theme. Although there is apparently a MacGyver theme they don't use on that reboot.

I don't see how they can't use at least a shortened version of the MPI theme, like they did with H50; it's equally iconic, in my book. And I really hated it, however many years ago it was, when they decided to shorten/eliminate the opening theme songs from TV shows--some of them are/were as cool as the shows themselves, H50's & Magnum's.

If you've forgotten how the classic Magnum theme came up in an H50 ep, Max started, like, humming/vocalizing it nonverbally in the end scene to the ep where Kamekona bought his helicopter & started giving Island tours; Kamekona was giving Max, McGarrett, & Danny a tour to practice & Max started in on the theme--& then there was a bit of dialogue about it, & everybody else joined in as they faded to the end credits. Here's the scene:

If Zeus & Apollo were classic elements of the show, I don't see how they can't forget them. They might have to change "Robin's Nest" though (that's the house--I saw something on YouTube when I was looking for the H50 Magnum clip that sounded like they sold or were selling the house they used in the original Magnum); they might also (have to) change the car Magnum drives, from a Ferrari 308 model, like they changed McGarrett's personal H50 vehicle to a Chevy Silverado truck when he's not driving Danny's Chevy Camaro (& part of the reason they changed the H50 vehicles was the old version, as I remember, had a contract to use Ford cars; this version uses Chevrolet brand cars).

• Love 1
On 10/20/2017 at 9:37 PM, Raja said:

5-0 show runners given the Magnum PI reboot

Looks like just as in the 80s as the original Five -O ran out of steam an ex Navy SEAL is in the wings to use the production facilities.

I forgot to mention, I'm really glad Lenkov ended up getting a shot at doing the Magnum reboot, after all, because I've liked the 2 I've seen so far from him. The last time I heard anything about a reboot of that (last season or maybe a little earlier), Eva Longoria's production company had the rights & their concept involved Magnum, P.I., in this case, being the now adult version of the daughter character they introduced as a child in the original show shortly before it ended.

I think, if anything, Lenkov's Magnum might be a younger version of the character (like the Lenkov MacGyver at least looks younger than he was when Richard Dean Anderson played him). But I really hope they can get the right actress to play Higgins, who can play Higgy like the sort of Brit snob John Hillerman played the character as. As long as the actress can do a credible Brit accent (the article says at least Lenkov's Higgins is supposed to be a former member of MI-6, like the recurring H50 character Harry is--I can't remember if the male Higgins was also supposed to be ex-MI-6), she wouldn't have to be from Great Britain. After all, John Hillerman was actually from somewhere in Texas, though he came off in the show like he was born & raised in Great Britain. I can't even think of any actresses, off the top of my head, who I can see as a female Higgins.

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

I forgot to mention, I'm really glad Lenkov ended up getting a shot at doing the Magnum reboot, after all, because I've liked the 2 I've seen so far from him. The last time I heard anything about a reboot of that (last season or maybe a little earlier), Eva Longoria's production company had the rights & their concept involved Magnum, P.I., in this case, being the now adult version of the daughter character they introduced as a child in the original show shortly before it ended.

I think, if anything, Lenkov's Magnum might be a younger version of the character (like the Lenkov MacGyver at least looks younger than he was when Richard Dean Anderson played him). But I really hope they can get the right actress to play Higgins, who can play Higgy like the sort of Brit snob John Hillerman played the character as. As long as the actress can do a credible Brit accent (the article says at least Lenkov's Higgins is supposed to be a former member of MI-6, like the recurring H50 character Harry is--I can't remember if the male Higgins was also supposed to be ex-MI-6), she wouldn't have to be from Great Britain. After all, John Hillerman was actually from somewhere in Texas, though he came off in the show like he was born & raised in Great Britain. I can't even think of any actresses, off the top of my head, who I can see as a female Higgins.

The male Higgins was a Sergeant Major  of the Yorkshire Regiment. Since they specified Afghanistan and not Iraq for Magnum, Rick and TV I assume that they are straying younger like his other reboots.

Olivia Coleman comes to mind. But she's got family and plenty of work in the UK. And if they're going for a younger reboot then she's probably 'too old'. I also hope the gender-swap does not necessitate romance with the male lead (s. Elementary and of course Kono on H5-0)

14 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Olivia Coleman comes to mind. But she's got family and plenty of work in the UK. And if they're going for a younger reboot then she's probably 'too old'. I also hope the gender-swap does not necessitate romance with the male lead (s. Elementary and of course Kono on H5-0)

I'm puzzled by your comment in the bolded part. I don't watch Elementary, but I've heard enough about it/I'm otherwise familiar enough with it to know Holmes & Joan Watson were romantically involved with each other at some point sort of recently in show canon (but I don't know if they're still a couple or not). 

But when did Kono, as you see it, get involved romantically with either Steve or Danny (the male lead characters)? Her now husband, Adam Noshimuri (played by Ian Anthony Dale) was a recurring character the whole time Grace Park/Kono was in the show; Adam/Ian wasn't promoted to lead character status until after Grace P/Kono left the show.

I quoted Elementary and H5-0 as positive examples. Neither show has paired the gender swapped character with the male lead. (I follow Elementary a lot closer than H5-0 and I would have noticed any romantic shenanigans between Holmes and Watson. So now I'm puzzled by your comment that they have gone there.)

30 minutes ago, Raja said:

The male Higgins was a Sergeant Major  of the Yorkshire Regiment. Since they specified Afghanistan and not Iraq for Magnum, Rick and TV I assume that they are straying younger like his other reboots.

Thank you for reminding me of the military/intelligence agency background of John Hillerman's version of Higgins. I guess that wasn't important enough of a detail about the character (or I thought it wasn't) to stick in my head on a longterm basis. Also I'd forgotten the article had specified Afghanistan being involved in the background of the reboot version of Magnum. So I would assume the lead character will "skew younger" here, as in MacGyver & H50 (although McGarrett just mentioned in H50 that he's 41--also Alex & Scott's real life age/ages--so maybe he doesn't skew so much younger now; but Alex & Scott were 32, at the time the H50 Pilot was shot, & 33 by the time the series had premiered). Am I wrong, or does MacGyver also have Afghanistan &/or Iraq War service in his background (I think Jack's supposed to, which is how he knows Steve)?

10 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I quoted Elementary and H5-0 as positive examples. Neither show has paired the gender swapped character with the male lead. (I follow Elementary a lot closer than H5-0 and I would have noticed any romantic shenanigans between Holmes and Watson. So now I'm puzzled by your comment that they have gone there.)

I thought I read that they were planning for Holmes & Watson to get romantically involved in a recent season. Maybe they planned it & then scrapped it. My apologies for the error.

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

I thought I read that they were planning for Holmes & Watson to get romantically involved in a recent season. Maybe they planned it & then scrapped it. My apologies for the error.

No need to apologize. There have always been ardent shippers who chose to ignore TPTB's solemn promise that this particular ship would never set sails. You probably came across an article/blog post in that vein.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Please no Holmes and Watson gay thing. Keep them as friends. 

The reference was to Doctor Joan Watson of Elementary, not the retired British Army Doctor Watson of Sherlock

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Thank you for reminding me of the military/intelligence agency background of John Hillerman's version of Higgins. I guess that wasn't important enough of a detail about the character (or I thought it wasn't) to stick in my head on a longterm basis. Also I'd forgotten the article had specified Afghanistan being involved in the background of the reboot version of Magnum. So I would assume the lead character will "skew younger" here, as in MacGyver & H50 (although McGarrett just mentioned in H50 that he's 41--also Alex & Scott's real life age/ages--so maybe he doesn't skew so much younger now; but Alex & Scott were 32, at the time the H50 Pilot was shot, & 33 by the time the series had premiered). Am I wrong, or does MacGyver also have Afghanistan &/or Iraq War service in his background (I think Jack's supposed to, which is how he knows Steve)?

Sergeant Major Higgins being a witness to  a declining British empire and telling a never ending series of stories about his experiences while the other three came from a losing effort in Vietnam was a constant theme of Magnum PI . I always thought going for the soldier returning from the "bad" war in Iraq as opposed to the war in Afghanistan which had more public and political support would be the natural choice but with Afghanistan you can make your characters 8 years younger and by the time a Magnum reboot can hit the schedule a full decade younger

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

And I really hated it, however many years ago it was, when they decided to shorten/eliminate the opening theme songs from TV shows--some of them are/were as cool as the shows themselves, H50's & Magnum's.

Me too.  Mike Post (who composed the original MPI theme, along with countless other memorable themes [Hill Street Blues, Rockford Files, A Team among them]) is still alive -- time for a comeback?

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

They made it very clear from the outset that there would be no romance, and Watson and Holmes are BFFs with no sexual interest in the other at all.  The closest they came was having Joan fall for Sherlock's brother.

• Love 1
(edited)

From The Hollywood Reporter"Prison Break" Star Robert Knepper Accused of Sexual Assault by Veteran Costume Designer

This is at least indirectly significant in the H50 fandom because Knepper memorably played HPD Internal Affairs Inspector Coughlin, in 2 or 3 eps of the show as I remember. He was out to get Chin Ho (for being a dirty cop) &, to a perhaps lesser extent, Five-0 (perhaps for their tactics & for guilt by association since Chin Ho is a member of the team).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add info.
22 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Unless that extra episode is the Series Finale, and CBS just now decided to end it, hence adding an episode to wrap everything up. 

I hope not. That sounds like what happened in the 2012 version of Vegas. They squeezed the entire second season mega arc into the final two episodes. A show like H50 should be like Law & Order, there always is going to be a next case. There is no need to have Danny remarry or whatever to close the show. Yes I know L&O ended with the cancer going into remission.

• Love 1