Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

Maybe they can fold folks like Koale and Rath into Magnum as regulars, or use 5-0 characters/actors in more guest spots. 

It would be easier to do with the characters who have functions besides working with Five-0, like Kamekona, Cousin Flippa, Larry Manetti’s lounge singer character Rick(?), Jerry the conspiracy theorist, & Noelani—all of whom have already appeared on the new Magnum—plus HPD Sgt. Duke Lukela, & maybe Max Bergman, who haven’t appeared there yet, than it would with characters specifically part of the H50 team (except Jerry).

That may also be a moot point—transferring characters to the new Magnum. We still don’t know if the new Magnum’s been renewed or not (though they were renewed pretty early in the “renewal season” last year). 

14 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Would love to see a Five 0 Spin off! Is Peter L listening!?

At this point, I’ll be happy with a reunion TV movie in a few years. I think Lenkov’s too busy with his hopefully remaining 2 shows (CBS hasn’t announced the fate of either MacGyver or Magnum P.I. yet) to think about a reunion movie or anything else right now. But they did say they wouldn’t continue with Danny having another partner.

• Love 2

I’m sad, but it’s time.  Scott & Alex are barely on the show.  Chi, too, has been on less & less.  Adam has become a charicature of his former self.

I like Tani & Jr, so I’ll miss them.  And the gorgeous scenery.  

• Love 1

Adam already had a limited series running concurrent with 5-0. Quinn would be second guess followed by Lou playing grandpa for a series. Danny and Steve would probably take a long break before going for another series lead.

Chi McBride has tons of credits. I doubt he'll have a hard time finding new roles and opportunities. Katrina Law strikes me as a similar type - actors that can play a lot of different roles, don't mind if they aren't leading, but just like to work. Law has been in genre shows like Arrow too, so that kind of expands what she might do as well. Obviously, getting a steady gig is ideal for any actor, but these two can do like 5 series in 3 years no problem and keep going. 

Still say Human Target was his best role. 

34 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Still say Human Target was his best role. 

I remember a little of Human Target.  I liked that show and was disappointed when it was cancelled.  I liked him a lot in Boston Public.  He's just a great versatile actor.

Meaghan Rath was back on the Supergirl set last week filming so I guess she might already have a recurring role.  I don't know when she's getting married, but her fiance just landed a comedy on CBS.  Maybe she'll take on some short term recurring roles for a while or just stay on Supergirl.  I know for sure Katrina will find something quickly.  She was in a pilot that CBS didn't pick up for the 2019-2020 season, so she might find something else on CBS very soon.

• Love 1

It’s probably a good thing the show wrapped filming early this season, compared to others. If they were still filming, they’d have probably decided to shutdown production, like Grey’s Anatomy, Grace and Frankie, & others have so as not to risk exposing their stars, crew & other staff to the Coronavirus.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, Raja said:

Adam already had a limited series running concurrent with 5-0. Quinn would be second guess followed by Lou playing grandpa for a series. Danny and Steve would probably take a long break before going for another series lead.

Ian Anthony Dale (Adam) actually had roles in 2 different limited series running concurrently with H50. When he was first being introduced as Adam, he played a San Francisco (I think) cop on a TNT network drama called Murder in the First. Then he got the role in Peter Lenkov’s Sci-Fi series Salvation, which ran on CBS for a couple of recent summers.

I blame Scott Caan's hair.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, ByaNose said:

I still have 18 episodes on my DVR from last season and the current one. I sort of got bored with the show and stopped watching. I guess now I’ll catch up before the last 2 weeks or so air. I liked the original cast. I also think it’s odd how they didn’t draw out the series finale from the beginning. It’s usually how it’s done for the long running shows. It seems rather rushed. 

I'm the same. I have almost all of this season's episodes still unwatched on my DVR. I like but don't love the show, and I've just had other stuff to do. I only came into this thread because I caught a 5-0 promo mentioning the "series finale," but I wasn't paying close attention so I thought maybe I misheard and it was only the season finale. I'm a little surprised, but 10 years is a good run.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:18 AM, MissLucas said:

IMO they have a solid team at hand for a spin-off with Lou, Tani, Junior, Quinn and Noelani. I'd watch that but I have quite some time ago lost interest in McGarrett and Danno (not to mention Adam) and stayed mostly for those folks and their plots.

I wish they would continue with that group (and Eddie!). They've been the more interesting characters for quite a while. If McGarrett and the now you see him now you don't Danno weren't there, I think it would actually be a stronger show.

• Love 2

I’m sure Scott Cann is thrilled to be able to get back on the mainland. That said, I always liked him and I’m sure he’ll be heading or apart of some new tv gig soon enough. He didn’t mind doing a series as much being in Hawaii for so long. Most actors would have killed for the gig and location but is wasn’t his wheel house location wise. 

Edited by ByaNose
9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I wish they would continue with that group (and Eddie!). They've been the more interesting characters for quite a while. If McGarrett and the now you see him now you don't Danno weren't there, I think it would actually be a stronger show.

McBride is a better actor imo anyway and could easily be the series lead. 

• Love 2
(edited)

From the Honolulu Star-AdvertiserActor Daniel Dae Kim Tests Positive for Covid-19/Novel Coronavirus

Well, at least we know (or are probably more sure than not) he’s been off of the H50 set long enough that he probably hasn’t potentially exposed anybody in the cast/crew to the virus—even more so now that they’ve wrapped production on the show.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
On 3/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, ByaNose said:

I’m sure Scott Cann is thrilled to be able to get back on the mainland. That said, I always liked him and I’m sure he’ll be heading or apart of some new tv gig soon enough. He didn’t mind doing a series as much being in Hawaii for so long. Most actors would have killed for the gif and location but is wasn’t his wheel house location wise.

Regarding the bolded: To be fair, I believe Scott did like the surfing in Hawaii, & perhaps some other things. I think his biggest objection was the distance/commute between Hawaii & the Mainland, where his dad &, presumably, his (female) partner & daughter live, & the length between breaks in the shooting schedule that were long enough for him to fly there to visit without flying in 1 day & flying back the next day or the 2nd day after that (which is why, I’m sure, he eventually got his contract renegotiated to give him additional time off during filming; hopefully even more necessary to Scott once his daughter was born, almost 6 years ago).

(edited)
On 3/26/2020 at 3:42 AM, Passepartout said:

Yeah as really Peter L should had thought about a spin off while the show was going to be getting cancelled after ten seasons.

I’m assuming Peter L. thought about a possible spinoff over the last 10 seasons. But it appears it was decided that wasn’t going to be as successful as the original & not followed through on. And the show wasn’t canceled (I really wish people would stop saying that—a show going off the air doesn’t always mean it got canceled). If it were canceled, CBS wouldn’t have said all the glowing things it did about the show in the statement about the show ending; also, it still had ratings good enough to remain on the schedule for next season.

The show actually apparently ended because Alex & Scott’s contracts were up at the end of the current season, & neither chose to renew them. Alex because of lingering injuries, including bad discs in his neck & back among them, & he still wanted to have some mobility left to be able to do physical things with his sons, stepson, & eventual grandkids (Alex has an adult age son, & his stepson & other son are both minors). Scott, presumably, didn’t renew because he was tired of doing the same thing for 10 years. I should also add Alex was a credited Producer on this season of the show & he may have had some say on when to end the show because of that.

Anyway, getting back to “Canceled vs. Ended” regarding TV series. A good way to look at this is, if your show gets canceled that’s basically like saying you got fired from your job. If your show merely ends, that’s basically the same thing as if you quit your job.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
  • Love 2

Yeah, I don't 'blame' him either, but the show as an entity has plenty going on for it to continue if they wanted. You figure the younger cast isn't carrying around such heavy contracts. Of course, TPTBs maybe figured 10 years was enough. 

• Love 1

Daniel Dae Kim is auctioning off, through eBay, his entire set of Hawaii Five-0 scripts from Season 1-Season 7 (that’s 168 scripts, all with his notations, etc., on how to play scenes/lines; the Pilot script ONLY is autographed by DDK, Alex, Scott & Grace Park) to benefit those on the front lines battling COVID-19... the healthcare workers.

The winner will get the entire set of scripts. 50% of the winning bid will go to a hospital DDK chooses; 50% will go to a hospital the winning bidder chooses, to benefit COVID-19. To top it all off, the winning bidder will also win a 15-minute video chat with DDK as a thanks for participating. DDK discusses the whole thing here.

• Love 2

Great for Daniel there!

BTW everybody knows here that I have had a love-hate relationship with Steve. And a lot has to do with his control issues. As really yes it is a thing in the military you are suppose to be in control true.

But when it comes to like driving everybody's car, or having them pay for the food he orders like with Danny knocking everything down for Indian food back in season 5 in an undercover operation there. As sure Danny paid for it. Really it got rude and annoying. It was not funny at all. He is the boss but not to a point of crossing a line. I am probably in the minority but really it got to being inconsiderate and rude of Steve.

I was hoping Steve would get knocked down a peg too and learn some humility and actual teamwork, but the show was clear in that Steve Is Never Wrong. 

I wouldn't have even minded him being like - hey, this is a cool car, can I take it for a drive with you? Sure! Let's roll. But just doing it is pathological. 

• Love 2

Alex O’Loughlin Interview with Martial Arts Podcast The Infernocast (VIDEO)

This lasts about 1 hour & 11 minutes. If you’re into martial arts & Alex, this is probably right up your alley. If you’re just into Alex, it’s at least a way to kill an hour & change, watching & listening to him talk. He does mention Scott Caan at least once, in the context of Scott apparently got him into doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (I thought Alex already knew that type of Jiu-Jitsu before they met). Confession: I haven’t played the entire podcast yet, so I don’t know if there are anymore show/cast-related references.

Where are the re-runs?  Is CBS giving us a "break" because (hopefully) they're planning on some sort of COVID-19 production gap fill-in binging marathon from season one to the end?  (please-please-please)

So far as I know, nothing anywhere is in production due to the C-19 shutdown, and there's a lot of airtime that needs to be filled.  So fill it with H50, CBS!

(edited)
13 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm going to guess it's probably moving or moved to the streaming site. 

I think @HurricaneVal’s asking why CBS is airing repeats of everything, including canceled stuff, except for H50. @DoctorAtomic, it is, & always has been, on CBS All Access, both before & since they canceled it. Which still doesn’t explain why it seems to be the only CBS show, current or just canceled, that isn’t running episodes on the network right now.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
18 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Where are the re-runs?  Is CBS giving us a "break" because (hopefully) they're planning on some sort of COVID-19 production gap fill-in binging marathon from season one to the end?  (please-please-please)

So far as I know, nothing anywhere is in production due to the C-19 shutdown, and there's a lot of airtime that needs to be filled.  So fill it with H50, CBS!

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think @HurricaneVal’s asking why CBS is airing repeats of everything, including canceled stuff, except for H50. @DoctorAtomic, it is, & always has been, on CBS All Access, both  before & since they canceled it. Which still doesn’t explain why it seems to be the only CBS show, current or just canceled, that isn’t running episodes on the network right now.

Well then it would be because that spot now belongs to Magnum P.I. 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Well then it would be because that spot now belongs to Magnum P.I. 

Yes. But that still begs the question as to why they can’t air Five-0 in a different timeslot over the summer. I haven’t seen that many series that aired their finale episode & then didn’t repeat the episodes from their final season between airing the finale & the premiere of whatever show’s taking over that timeslot during the next season.

Yes.  That's exactly what I'm asking.  I'm seeing all sorts of other re-runs, and filler programming, but it is like H50 just disappeared.  I'm hoping this is for a good reason, if not my proposed H50 marathon, then maybe a big syndication deal, or a streaming deal (other than CBS All Access) that is keeping it off the schedule.  I was poking here to see if anyone knew anything.  I figured if anyone knew, it would be @BW Manilowe!

I shall just have to be patient.

Or eventually give CBS All Access some of my money.

• Love 1

Confirming something I've been suspicious of for a while now:  Lenkov fired due to creating and keeping a "toxic work environment."

I've just been suspicious this may be the case due to the cast upheavals and the relative silence from those left behind.  I'm disappointed, but not surprised.  I wonder if this might have anything to do with H50 not being in reruns or syndication right now as a show like this normally would be.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Confirming something I've been suspicious of for a while now:  Lenkov fired due to creating and keeping a "toxic work environment."

I've just been suspicious this may be the case due to the cast upheavals and the relative silence from those left behind.  I'm disappointed, but not surprised.  I wonder if this might have anything to do with H50 not being in reruns or syndication right now as a show like this normally would be.

I've been wondering for a few years too.

Edited by Just my 2 cents

Here's the full article at the Hollywood Reporter. This immediately jumped out at me: "Others allege that he accommodated special work-schedule requests from male actors without offering similar consideration to actresses on Hawaii Five-0." Gee, who do we know who resembles that remark?

And I wonder how much of the refusal to pay Daniel and Grace parity was because of his influence, or just institutionalized racism in CBS.