Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

What's funny is, I just re-watched that fake-tsunami episode the other day in the bathtub.  I love Netflix...  As I was watching, I wondered if they're going to pull that story from the headlines for a future episode.  Then I realized that since H50 has already, what, detonated two*nuclear bombs with no warnings to the public, it would be a little hypocritical.

* One out to sea right before Kono's wedding, and the other one where Steve got radiation poisoning despite wearing the truck battery around his neck.  Actually, on that second one, didn't they just detonate the detonator, but not the nuclear part of the bomb?  I can't remember.  But I'm going to count it, even if it didn't have a mushroom cloud.

Edited by HurricaneVal
make words more better
  • Love 3
On 2/3/2018 at 2:50 PM, Passepartout said:

Well wonder if Five 0 could have a spinoff of Adam as anything is possible?

I doubt it. He and other characters are probably more likely to show up in the new Magnum PI reboot rather than get a spinoff.

• Love 1

In response to someone who wondered about the remaining number of (new) eps for the season, given that there's such a long period where there are either no new eps, or no eps at all (February 2-March 2), Peter Lenkov Tweeted that there will be 25 episodes this season, which is 1 more than the last time we got an official episode count.

Also, CBS is repeating the 150th episode (Catherine wrecks Steve & Lynn's romantic [Valentine's?] dinner by coming to tell him that his mother, Doris, has been captured while trying to get Wo Fat's father out of prison) on February 10th; & CBS will repeat the ep where terrorists invade Gracie & Will's school's Winter Formal, which Danny is also chaperoning at, in order to kidnap another student who's the son of a Filipino diplomat, on February 16th.

From Hawaii News NowJohn Nordlum, Jack Lord's Stunt Double and Stand In in the Original Hawaii Five-O, Dead at 81

Nordlum apparently died of Parkinson's Disease. Over the years, Jack Lord & John Nordlum became friends. At the end of the original Hawaii Five-O, Jack Lord gave Nordlum the (1974?) Mercury Marquis car that Lord's version of Steve McGarrett drove in the series. He also lent the car for use in the pilot episode (& other episodes, as well) of the current Hawaii Five-0. In the reboot, it was owned by Steve's murdered father, John; he bought it so he & Steve could have something to do together (restoring the car) & hopefully bond over whenever Steve was home from his Naval duties.

Also after the original Five-O ended, Nordlum went on to stand in/stunt double for Tom Selleck in Magnum, P.I. &--as they apparently really did resemble each other (presumably more than Nordlum & Lord)--Nordlum also traveled the world with Selleck & was his stand in/stunt double in Selleck's theatrical films.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment and fix punctuation.
17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From Hawaii News NowJohn Nordlum, Jack Lord's Stunt Double and Stand In in the Original Hawaii Five-O, Dead at 81

Nordlum apparently died of Parkinson's Disease. Over the years, Jack Lord & John Nordlum became friends. At the end of the original Hawaii Five-O, Jack Lord gave Nordlum the (1974?) Mercury Marquis car that Lord's version of Steve McGarrett drove in the series. He also lent the car for use in the pilot episode (& other episodes, as well) of the current Hawaii Five-0. In the reboot, it was owned by Steve's murdered father, John; he bought it so he & Steve could have something to do together (restoring the car) & hopefully bond over whenever Steve was home from his Naval duties.

Also after the original Five-O ended, Nordlum went on to stand in/stunt double for Tom Selleck in Magnum, P.I. &--as they apparently really did resemble each other (presumably more than Nordlum & Lord)--Nordlum also traveled the world with Selleck & was his stand in/stunt double in Selleck's theatrical films.

I wonder what happens to the car now?  Will the Estate Manager still allow the re-boot to use it once in a While?

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I wonder what happens to the car now?  Will the Estate Manager still allow the re-boot to use it once in a While?

I would assume so, or Mr. Nordlum's widow. I don't think they've really used the car for awhile, except we see it in Steve's garage every once in awhile.

The car got stolen, & stripped, by that teenager Nahele who Steve had taken under his wing (he's a recurring character). And among the conditions Steve set to not send Nahele was that Nahele come over & help Steve rebuild the car. Since it was, like, a 1974 car, maybe Steve couldn't easily get the parts he needed to finish it again & that's Steve's excuse for not driving it right now.

I mean, back in S1 Danny loved being able to rib Steve for ordering a part he needed from eBay & then getting a different part from the seller, whether it was on purpose or accidentally. Steve had saved a copy of the item listing, or his order, & he read it to Danny. The part in the box when Steve opened it didn't fit the description. So maybe Steve's supposed to be having that kind of problem.

Anyway... I think someone posted to Peter Lenkov on Twitter, or other social media outlets, about the man's passing. If he says anything relevant to the continued use of the original McGarrett's Mercury Marquis in the show, now that the last owner has died, I'll pass that along.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:14 PM, roamyn said:

Isn’t there already an ex Navy SEAL in Hawaii, on TV?  <sarcasm>

You can't get away from ex SEALs no matter where you set a show. Everybody who served in the military was a SEAL. <sarcasm>

Interview with Sue Chipperton, who trains Eddie the dog, in Island Dog magazine. She's talking about working on the show & being Eddie's trainer. It's 4 pages long & starts on page 40, which is where the link should go to. Eddie's also their cover dog this issue. If you can't read the article as is, there's a "Zoom In/Zoom Out" slider, with a + on 1 side & a - on the other, towards the bottom right corner of the magazine pages.

So... Late last night/early this morning I was watching videos of different things online at that site where most people watch this kinda stuff. Among the things I watched was part of an interview appearance Jack Lord did on the old (at least mostly daytime, I think) talk show The Mike Douglas Show, which was syndicated from 1963 to 1981. I'm not exactly sure now  if they mentioned the year of the interview, or not, but I'm reasonably sure it was done towards the beginning of the original H5O's run.

Anyway, from the interview part I watched, I learned something I didn't know, which is actually an interesting coincidence with something else, the latter thing being connected to the modern version of H50 (which is why I'm mentioning it here instead of in the Small Talk thread).

During the interview, Mike asked Jack about his wife/family. It turns out that Jack Lord's wife, Marie, studied fashion design & was apparently actually a designer when they first met & married. In fact, she apparently made most/all of her own clothes, & she also made a lot of the clothes Jack wore on H5O, including a blue suit Jack Lord's McGarrett wore a lot on the show.

I had never heard that before, about Jack Lord's wife. I think it's interesting. Especially since Alex O'Loughlin's wife, Malia, is also a fashion designer & Jack Lord & Alex O'Loughlin each play(ed) McGarrett in their respective versions of the show--though Malia Jones O'Loughlin seems to concentrate on designing swimwear/beachwear & related items, while it sounds like Marie De Narde Lord designed most other types of clothing.

I think the coincidence of the actors who play(ed) McGarrett each marrying a fashion designer/someone who later became a fashion designer is as interesting as the coincidence of the character of Danny in each version of the series (after the Pilot of the original version, anyway; James MacArthur was cast as Danny when the original went to series) being played by the second generation actor son of a legendary actor/actress, & parent & son then working together on an episode of their respective version of the show: 

H5O (Original)-- Danny was played by the late James MacArthur, who was the son of the legendary actress Helen Hayes & her husband, playwright Charles MacArthur; Helen Hayes played Danny's Aunt Clara, in Hawaii to visit her nephew, who enlists Five-O's help in determining what happened to the man who sat next to her on the flight to Hawaii, with whom she became friends, after he moved into a local retirement home in the H5O Original version 8th season episode "Retire in Sunny Hawaii... Forever".

H50 (Reboot): Danny is played by Scott Caan, the son of the legendary actor James Caan & his then-wife, the late Sheila Ryan Caan; James Caan played retired NYPD cop turned Honolulu PI Tony Archer, who helps Five-0 investigate the murder of his best friend, a "shock jock" type of radio host who bought his own airtime & broadcast whenever he wanted & from wherever he wanted--such as offshore on a private boat/yacht, when he was murdered during his show--in a genre called "Pirate Radio" (which means broadcasts are done illegally, without a license). This was in the H50 Reboot's 2nd season episode "Lekiō (Radio)".

I kinda like coincidences like this (or that Alex & Scott were born legally a day apart, but technically closer together than that/maybe on the same day, I think there's a timeframe of a few hours that make that work, because of Scott being born in LA, Alex being born in Canberra, Australia, & the whole "they were born on different sides of the International Dateline/there's a multi-hour time change between the 2 countries" thing; or there's also the coincidence of Michael Gross & the actress then named Meredith Baxter Birney [she later divorced & dropped the "Birney"] playing a married couple on Family Ties & being born on the exact same birthdate, all the way down to the year).

(edited)

Meaghan Rath is interviewed in the March/April 2018 issue of Modern Luxury Hawaiʻi magazine (on pages 78-79, if you can get a print copy from 1 of your local major chain bookstores; the issue should be out now), her photos are also on the index page of & on the cover of the same issue. Tap on the article to increase the page size; or just look at the pic next to the article & read the text-only version, which is easier to read, & (I think) to adjust the print size of, if needed. 

Among the things she talks about is, she says Scott Caan (& apparently some of the camera crew/the Director of Photography) is teaching her photography using a film camera (she'd only used digital before). She also said Scott had shown her some of his photos, & she complimented his work.

I think all the links finally go where they're supposed to. If they still don't, let me know.

By the way, when I posted the link to Meaghan's CBS Watch! magazine interview (upthread) I forgot to mention an interesting tidbit of info I found out there: Tani's troubled brother, Koa, is also apparently supposed to be her twin.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix links (finally, I hope) and to add comments.

Think that she really gets along with Scott more than the others. Not to say she does not get along with the others as she seems to get along more with Scott it seems. And Meaghan IMHO does or did a lot more than Grace Park as much as I love and miss her and Daniel, In just the first season with her along, than Grace has done in seven seasons combined. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Think that she really gets along with Scott more than the others. Not to say she does not get along with the others as she seems to get along more with Scott it seems. And Meaghan IMHO does or did a lot more than Grace Park as much as I love and miss her and Daniel, In just the first season with her along, than Grace has done in seven seasons combined. 

I agree, re:  Kono,  Tani is a much more interesting character and has done more than just be an expert markswoman w/a bad-ass round off kick who gets kidnapped & pines over Adam.

• Love 3
On 3/3/2018 at 3:51 AM, roamyn said:

I agree, re:  Kono,  Tani is a much more interesting character and has done more than just be an expert markswoman w/a bad-ass round off kick who gets kidnapped & pines over Adam.

Mos' def!

• Love 1
(edited)

An article on Hawaiian Airlines' website, about the 10 Most and Least Classic Island-Inspired Drinks, includes the Hawaii Five-O, a classic--according to the article's writer--which was created during the original run of the show (hence the letter O instead of the number 0 in the name), using the ingredients listed under the drink's name (though exact proportions/amounts used are not given). It's described as "a twist on the Blue Hawaii, omitting the vodka & being poured over ice into a highball glass". 

The blurb which talks about the drink, & is listed fourth from the top in the Classic Twists section, also says that there's a variation on the original drink (a "reboot", if you will). It further says that, "since the Hilton Hawaiian Village served (Have they dropped their promotional consideration contract again? The article appears to be relatively new, as opposed to a holdover from when the Hilton wasn't the show's "hotel partner" for awhile a few seasons ago.) as the hotel partner to the new incarnation of the CBS hit drama, Tropics Bar & Grill serves its version using Absolut Raspberry vodka, with Blos Blue Curacao, sweet and sour, and strawberry puree."

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove extraneous words and add comments.

We have to wait three more weeks again like the Olympics where we have to wait nearly a month for new shows. Now it is the NCAA tournament. This is getting old for someone who really is not a sports fan unless it is football. Hope these three weeks go by fast.

On 3/12/2018 at 4:25 AM, Passepartout said:

We have to wait three more weeks again like the Olympics where we have to wait nearly a month for new shows. Now it is the NCAA tournament. This is getting old for someone who really is not a sports fan unless it is football. Hope these three weeks go by fast.

The next new episode airs Friday, March 30th. I started the episode thread for it, & for the following new episode, which is scheduled for Friday, April 6th, earlier today.

Daniel Dae Kim was among the panelists last night in LA as the Los Angeles PaleyFest, put on in LA (& at least sometimes in NYC) by the Paley Center for Media, saluted The Good Doctor, the hit ABC show on which Daniel and his Production Company are Co-Executive Producers, along with House's David Shore and his Production Company. This video is about 55 minutes/a little under an hour, but I think it's worth watching; especially if you like DDK &/or The Good Doctor (or any number of other actors & actresses from the mostly veteran cast).

By the way, I had almost forgotten that Will Yun Lee (H50's Sang Min) was a guest star on the episode that aired earlier this week (I think he played a doctor). And the show was renewed for a second season on ABC earlier in the month.

(edited)
On 3/22/2018 at 7:31 PM, LizDC said:

The above article is from TVLine.com. This is Entertainment Weekly's Interview with Alex regarding his involvement in a possible S9; THERE ARE DIFFERENCES IN CONTENT BETWEEN THE INTERVIEWS, SO IF YOU READ 1, READ BOTH.

For 1 thing, Alex says in the EW article that they're filming Ep 825/193 for the overall series right now (which should be the S8 finale, according to the last ep count for the season posted on social media by Peter Lenkov). So, depending on when they started the ep, they should be wrapping for the season within the next week, I guess.

Alex says that if they can make a deal, he's open to doing another couple of years (if he actually means "a couple", that could take us through the end of S10... & the original lasted 12 seasons).

Alex also reiterates that the reason he previously wanted to leave after this season had to do with his back, in particular, breaking down so badly (from injuries incurred by doing his own stunts, when he probably should've let his stunt double handle things) he could barely move the last couple of years. But he got into a stem cell trial, has had a bunch of stem cells injected, infused by IV, put into his body however they do it, & he's installed a rehab gym in his garage & has been doing workouts & he feels physically a lot better.

As far as S9 looks, according to the Cancellation Predictor thing on the TVLine site, it appears H50 (along with the other CBS Friday night shows) is "a safe bet" for renewal by the end of the season; most, if not all, sites like this concur. A couple of other things in favor of renewing the show for S9 are: September 20, 2018 marks the 50th anniversary year of the debut of the original series (so I'd like to believe CBS might wanna have the reboot around to help mark the occasion), & Ep 907 should be the 200th ep of the reboot (& I know that, just because a series is reaching a milestone number of episodes in a season it doesn't always end up staying on the air long enough to celebrate that milestone).

If CBS was so agreeable to letting Scott have 1 ep off for every 5 Alex does in a season, & that seemed to work out OK, I don't see how they couldn't do the same deal with Alex (or give him pretty much anything else he wants) to keep him onboard. Though I'm not sure I'd let Alex & Scott have the same episode off, if it can be avoided--that'd put Grover in charge of "the kids". In & of itself, that's not a bad thing; I just think it'd be better if Steve was around, with Grover, if Danny couldn't be, & vice-versa.

Edited by BW Manilowe
Belatedly fixing missed typos.
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

The above article is from TVLine.com. This is Entertainment Weekly's Interview with Alex regarding his involvement in a possible S9; THERE ARE DIFFERENCES IN CONTENT BETWEEN THE INTERVIEWS, SO IF YOU READ 1, READ BOTH.

For 1 thing, Alex says in the EW article that they're filming Ep 825/193 for the overall series right now (which should be the S8 finale, according to the last ep count for the season posted on social media by Peter Lenkov). So, depending on when they started the ep, they should be wrapping for the season within the next week, I guess.

Alex says that if they can make a deal, he's open to doing another couple of years (if he actually means "a couple", that could take us through the end of S10... & the original lasted 12 seasons).

Alex also reiterates that the reason he previously wanted to leave after this season had to do with his back, in particular, breaking down so badly (from injuries incurred by doing his own stunts, when he probably should've let his stunt double handle things) he could barely move the last couple of years. But he got into a stem cell trial, has had a bunch of stem cells injected, infused by IV, put into his body however they do it, & he's installed a rehab gym in his garage & has been doing workouts & he feels physically a lot better.

As far as S9 looks, according to the Cancellation Predictor thing on the TVLine site, it appears H50 (along with the other CBS Friday night shows) is "a safe bet" for renewal by the end of the season; most, if not all, sites like this concur. A couple of other things in favor of renewing the show for S9 are: September 20, 2018 marks the 50th anniversary year of the debut of the original series (so I'd like to believe CBS might wanna have the reboot around to help mark the occasion), & Ep 907 should be the 200th ep of the reboot (& I know that, just because a series is reaching a milestone number of episodes in a season it doesn't always end up staying on the air long enough to celebrate that milestone).

If CBS was so agreeable to letting Scott have 1 ep off for every 5 Alex does in a season, & that seemed to work out OK, I don't see how they couldn't do the same deal with Alex (or give him pretty much anything else he wants). to keep him onboard. Though   ,I'm not sure I'd let Alex & Scott have the same episode off, if it can be avoided--that'd put Grover in charge of "the kids". In & of itself, that's not a bad thing; I just think it'd be better if Steve was around, with Grover, if Danny couldn't be, & vice-versa.

I couldn't imagine TPTB couldn't work with either Alex or Scott out of an episode but not at the same time. That sounds doable, right? Personally, I was certain that Alex would walk after this season. He seemed so over it in his last interview (can't recall where) that I thought it was a foregone conclusion he was leaving. In fact, I was pretty sure the show was going to go on without him and try for one more year with a new lead or Scott or whoever was left. LOL!!! It will be interesting to see what Alex episode count will be for the new season, if he does end up staying.

According to multiple entertainment news sources, including TV Line, the 8th season finale will air on the regular day, at the regular time. In this case, Friday, May 18th at 9PM Eastern/8PM Central.

Although the list of season finale dates shows Blue Bloods' season finale as airing on Friday, May 11th--the week before H50's--at least for now it seems H50 is only airing a single-episode finale this year, in its regular timeslot, on Friday, May 18th.

(edited)

2 From TV Line

Five-0's Alex O'Loughlin Talks Directing Debut, Creating a 'Young' Scott Caan, and Turning Hawaii Into Newark

Alex said that they were shooting Ep 825 when he was interviewed (825 should be the season finale, based on the ep count of 25 this season confirmed by Peter Lenkov awhile back). It will, however, air as Ep 824 (the next-to-last ep) instead (which also happened last season--they flipped the airdates of the last 2 eps around). 

He also said 825/now 824 is the ep in which he gets a "Story by" credit, for coming up with the story for the episode. Somebody else then probably took his idea & put it into either "full fledged" script form or "teleplay" form for filming; usually the credit that goes with "Story by (Name)" is "Teleplay by (Name)". The story involves a SEAL team, but that's all I know. Alex also said that Terry O'Quinn returns as Joe White &, because of his schedule, Scott isn't in the ep made from Alex's idea/story.

And... From Matt's Inside Line (about the 8th Q&A down, 1 of 2 after a pic of Spencer & JJ from Criminal Minds), we have a little more info on the ep in which Catherine returns, looking for Steve's & Five-0's help in finding a missing uranium deposit on the island before it can be used in dirty bombs. The ep is scheduled for airing on Friday, April 13th (a pretty appropriate date for an ep involving Catherine, if you ask me--though I liked her when she was introduced as Steve's sometime lover & secret liaison when Steve & Five-0 needed Naval Intelligence's skills & assistance in cases, I haven't liked Catherine since she suddenly left Steve to go on a CIA mission when he was about to propose to her; though, in all fairness, she didn't know he was about to propose.

Any scoop on Catherine’s return to Hawaii Five-0? —Jen

When Catherine (played by Michelle Borth) returns in the Friday, April 13 episode to enlist McGarrett and his particular set of skills to track down some hidden munitions, “We got to get a little closure,” Alex O’Loughlin says. Having previously danced around the fact that he was about to propose when she skipped out of town on a secret mission, this time they delve a bit more into the missed opportunity. Afterward, O’Loughlin says, “They sort of go, ‘We always were great friends; maybe we shouldn’t have slept together in the first place. But it’s good to be friends again.'”

The show apparently wrapped filming on S8 on Monday (the 26th). If I did it right, here's a nice, & cute, video from Meaghan Rath, I think from her trailer, talking about how she'd just finished filming her last S8 scene, & thanking everybody for everything this season. She ended by saying "I luh you." ("luh" instead of "love"--it was a "thing" awhile ago, but I can't remember why).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To (hopefully) fix a screwed up quote and some punctuation. And to change some wording.

From ArtvoiceGrace Park Appears to Have Been Active in the NXIVM Cult That Was Recently Busted for Branding, Blackmailing Women

What's ironic about this is, sex trafficking is apparently among the other illegal acts this group supposedly was involved with, & Grace Park's character, Kono Kalākaua, was written out of Hawaii Five-0 as having gone to the Mainland to help investigate, track, & stop a child sex trafficking ring that Five-0 had run up against in 2 different S7 eps of the show, including the season finale, without much success.

6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From ArtvoiceGrace Park Appears to Have Been Active in the NXIVM Cult That Was Recently Busted for Branding, Blackmailing Women

What's ironic about this is, sex trafficking is apparently among the other illegal acts this group supposedly was involved with, & Grace Park's character, Kono Kalākaua, was written out of Hawaii Five-0 as having gone to the Mainland to help investigate, track, & stop a child sex trafficking ring that Five-0 had run up against in 2 different S7 eps of the show, including the season finale, without much success.

Oops, that's really sad. 

On 2/20/2018 at 5:51 PM, BW Manilowe said:

On 2/22/2018 at 5:14 PM, roamyn said:

Isn’t there already an ex Navy SEAL in Hawaii, on TV?  <sarcasm>

Interesting enough, the original Magnum show began airing the following year after the original Hawaii 5-0 was cancelled.  Many of the camera crew and people behind the camera "stuck around" a few months after filming wrapped on 5-0, and then began work on Magnum.  Several extras who appeared on 5-0 also would eventually appear on Magnum.  I would not be surprised if the same happens (if this new reboot gets picked up) here as well.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

Interesting enough, the original Magnum show began airing the following year after the original Hawaii 5-0 was cancelled.  Many of the camera crew and people behind the camera "stuck around" a few months after filming wrapped on 5-0, and then began work on Magnum.  Several extras who appeared on 5-0 also would eventually appear on Magnum.  I would not be surprised if the same happens (if this new reboot gets picked up) here as well.

Well, both of Peter Lenkov's existing reboots (H50, MacGyver) got picked up earlier today for next season--H50 will be on S9; MacGyver will be on S3. We'll have to see what happens with the Magnum reboot, once they actually announce the pickups of next year's freshman CBS shows. They might have some of the same crew working on H50 & Magnum simultaneously this season, since they've done a Magnum pilot for the coming season & H50 is still on the schedule for this coming season.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.

Great news about the H50 renewal. I’m curious what shooting schedule the Alex & Scott will agree to? I don’t thing nuMagnum will get picked up. It’s like there current shows & the guy they hired isn’t Tom Selleck. There’s only one hairy chested Magnum and his name is Tom Selleck. LOL!!!!!

• Love 1
On 4/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Whoa.  That's some seriously screwed up shit.  I know that before the whole salary dispute thing, Grace Park seemed to be getting increasingly dissatisfied with working in Hawaii while trying to have a home and family elsewhere.   Maybe she needed/wanted to be home for the cult commitments she had.  Wow.

4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Well, both of Peter Lenkov's existing reboots (H50, MacGyver) got picked up earlier today for next season--H50 will be on S9; MacGyver will be on S3. We'll have to see what happens with the Magnum reboot, once they actually announce the pickups of next year's freshman CBS shows. They might have some of the same crew working on H50 & Magnum simultaneously this season, since they've done a Magnum pilot for the coming season & H50 is still on the schedule for this coming season.

In an early episode Magnum on his show answers a radio call in TC's helicopter  as "McGarrett 5-0". I am on the side that it was a joke as he was referencing a TV show not a law enforcement agency. I do wonder if the Magnum reboot will see the H50 reboot as a TV show or be part of the shared universe along with NCIS Los Angeles, so I guess down to JAG?

Edited by Raja
(edited)
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

There are at least a couple of instances where Magnum refers to 5-0 so I think the implication was it was a real organization in the Magnum universe.  

But don't forget, once the original H50 came along, "Five-0" was also adopted, in real life, in movies, & on fictional TV shows, as a nickname for the police in general, whether or not they were in Hawaii. So I suppose the "Five-0" mention could've been meant in either context; I'd have to see the scene to figure out which context it was meant in--as a Hawaii Five-0-specific reference because Magnum was set in Hawaii, or as a reference to the police in general.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
29 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

But don't forget, once the original H50 came along, "Five-0" was also adopted, in real life, in movies, & on fictional TV shows, as a nickname for the police in general, whether or not they were in Hawaii. So I suppose the "Five-0" mention could've been meant in either context; I'd have to see the scene to figure out which context it was meant in--as a Hawaii Five-0-specific reference because Magnum was set in Hawaii, or as a reference to the police in general.

In this case Magnum was trying to get info over the radio, with a who the hell are you coming from the other end when Thomas snaps back "McGarrett Five O".  I still think it was a joke as trying to impersonate the head of a state police agency as if he were famous as he is in the reboot would be leaving himself open to arrest before he had established Lt Tanaka as a friend in HPD.  While others think since the guy did give information that McGarrett and 5-0 were real in the Magnum world and the guy on the other end bowed to the authority figure of Jack Lord/Steve McGarrett.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:16 PM, anna0852 said:

Geez! I'm guessing we're never going to see Kono again if this is true.

I think the article sounded like Grace had distanced herself from that group awhile ago--& not just 'cause it was apparently finally busted by the cops. Maybe I misunderstood that she'd distanced herself from the group; but I hope Grace's no longer active in it.

Anyway... I'm probably overthinking but (though I know the sex trafficking storyline was started with a different reason in mind--promoting the real life shelter [or whatever they called it] a group wants to build in Honolulu, to hopefully help rescued young victims of sex trafficking to successfully reintegrate into their previous lives), in the end, I sort of wonder if Kono going off to the Mainland to search for whatever was left of the Honolulu sex trafficking ring Five-0 tracked  in 2 S7 eps, as well as any other associated groups she & her co-workers could stop, was supposed to be a meta reference to Grace having apparently been part of that cult in real life (if TPTB with the show & CBS knew that, but didn't know exactly how horrible they really were) since there were reports the group was into sex trafficking (besides branding & blackmailing participants [victims]). 

I think I started reading/hearing about Catherine Oxenberg asking for someone to help her rescue her daughter, India, from the group (after which India made a public statement that she was fine, & her situation wasn't anything like her mother claimed, at all) because Ms. Oxenberg had already heard just how awful the cult was, & she feared for her daughter's safety & life, at least a little bit before it became a discussion topic here. Or maybe the whole thing is coincidentally, unintentionally meta.

48 minutes ago, Raja said:

In this case Magnum was trying to get info over the radio, with a who the hell are you coming from the other end when Thomas snaps back "McGarrett Five O".  I still think it was a joke as trying to impersonate the head of a state police agency as if he were famous as he is in the reboot would be leaving himself open to arrest before he had established Lt Tanaka as a friend in HPD.  While others think since the guy did give information that McGarrett and 5-0 were real in the Magnum world and the guy on the other end bowed to the authority figure of Jack Lord/Steve McGarrett.

OK. What you've described makes me think Magnum could've been referencing H50 as being a real life part of that universe--but then again, there's still at least a small possibility he could've been referencing McGarrett & Five-0 in terms of them being part of a popular TV show (although the show was in syndication & not producing new episodes by that point; especially since Magnum took original H50's place on the schedule after H50 packed it in.

Plus, there's the whole thing of Magnum apparently was only a TV show in H50's universe--in the ep where Kamekona takes Steve, Danny, & Max (I think that's all there was) up in his sightseeing helicopter for a practice tour at the end of the show, Max starts humming/doing the Magnum theme song out of the blue, & then at least Max & Kamekona, or all of them, start talking about which Magnum characters the people/H50 characters in the chopper would be; and then Max starts doing the theme song again--with everybody joining in this time--& they fade to black. So, who knows how the Magnum reboot will exist in regards to the H50 reboot, if it gets picked up by CBS for this Fall.

Then again, we're talking about a TV show which once did a crossover with at least the Angela Lansbury character from Murder, She Wrote even though the 2 shows don't have any real connection in their fictional universes. They seem to have gone with Jessica (JB) Fletcher being a mystery writer & at least Thomas Magnum having read at least some of JB's books, & Magnum also solving mysteries as a PI.

I am pretty sure that on Simon and Simon that Magnum P.I. was a TV show before their crossovers. But I do remember watching the Magnum pilot or at least that first batch of episodes before the theme music was changed when I heard McGarrett Five O I took it as the character joking and it is one of those scenes that I retain.  Not the murder of Ivan big but memorable to me.