Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E03: We Got A Rat

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

PG tried to turn the vote into voting off Abi because she knew that Jeff would be easier to work with then Abi. When PG tried to vote out Abi, the vote turned from Jeff to PG. That was the basis of Tasha's comment at Tribal.

I think Andrew and Tasha did a good job turning the tables. They took what they saw and ran with it. I don't think they trust Abi for a second and I think they know that they can vote her out pretty easily.

Tasha is not going to be fun to watch. We got a glimpse into Tasha in power when she turned the tables on folks on the Brawn tribe. Kass was annoying but Tasha was pretty freaking smug and annoying herself. She was right to call Garrett on his stupid no discussions lets decide now BS but her overall attitude was so annoying. She and Kass loved that they could boss Spencer around. So Tasha making that comment to Peih Gee is not that surprising. Tasha has her own type of smug and told you so in her.

When it gets down to it, no one on the Brains tribe understood the social game. They didn't get why it was important or how to play it. They couldn't read the body language out there. Tasha and Spencer knew that they had to keep Sarah with them but ignored the words and body language coming out of Kass. The understood what they need to do strategically but not how to actually pull it off.

We have seen Spencer struggle with similar issues this season. Shirin was bit in the ass by the same problem. Tasha is already making similar mistakes.

Kass and Tasha both have to know that they are the smart ones and the strategic ones. Spencer is not too far off from that. We are seeing Tasha falling prey to that weakness. Spencer is intellectually telling himself he has to be more emotionally connected and he is working on it. Kass hasn't been stressed out there yet so we really don't know if she is capable of changing her behavior.

The reality is that the "students" of the game are probably the worst to play it. They think they know how to play but they cannot adjust from the charts, preference orderings, and probabilities in their head to the real game which involves emotions and people skills as well as understanding the fluidity of alliances. Vanessa had the same problem on BB this year.

• Love 5

I was so curious about this season that I started watching again (Varner! Kelly Wigglesworth! Kimmi Kappenberg! Fishbach! ...and so on...), but I only felt compelled to comment on it with this episode, because I love it when the last quarter is all twisty and we the audience have no clear idea of what's going on and who's actually working it right until the very end.

I hate Savage from way back when, but DAMN if that wasn't some beautiful gameplay by him and Tasha.

That's how you work a screwy swap. Jump on any and every molehill and make it a mountain. Make Varner feel like he screwed up so badly that everyone is gonna gun for him, even though what he did was pretty minor, so when you offer him an alternative he'll take it just to shift the target from his back. Test the waters with everyone in the tribe, see who doesn't get along with whom, and then vote with the person that said "yes, I'm with you" right away against the people who said "can we talk about it just the two of us first?".

I think that's when Woo and Peih Gee lost the vote, that's a seriously dumb way to answer. Of course you're gonna talk about it and consider every angle, but in the meantime just go "yeah! Totally! We're with you guys!" and pretend your little asses off to be solid with Savage and Tasha.

And Peih Gee, dude, you really don't know where Abi's resentment came from? She caught you badmouthing her like two days ago, and from what I've seen of her she doesn't strike me as a water-under-the-bridge woman.

Just some awesome gameplay, really, rolling with the game instead of trying to control it.

I still hate Savage, though.

Edited by Caelicola
  • Love 4
I don't even think it requires a wrong word from Savage or Tasha.

Abi's the type to starts fights like:

Abi: Are you looking at my boyfriend?!?!?

You: No.

Abi: What?  Are you saying my boyfriend's ugly?!?!?!?!?

• Love 10
How is shouting "we've got a rat" while jumping around and waving your hands in the air conducive to becoming a family? Stupid move but she lucked out by having crazy emotional Abi and emotional Peih-Gee in her tribe. Lol @ delusional Abi saying at TC that she is loyal like Peih-Gee. No way Jeff votes out Abi unless that is the only way to save himself since he already told us he wants to sit next to her at the end (he identified her as the ultimate goat right away).

On the one hand, they had just lost. So I can see her wanting to use the opportunity to get the target off of her and Savage and onto someone else. But I do agree with others that the WAY she did it was obnoxious. She might have handled it better by bringing it back up, in a calm way, back at camp. I think a lot of it working out well for her is due to Jeff's reaction, and the fact that Ta Keo were already fractured to begin with. 

THIS x 1,000.  It's not entertaining, IMO, to blindfold people and watch them run into stuff.  How many times is Probst going to have to make everyone stop in their tracks this time while medical tends to someone's bleeding forehead?

Ugh, soooo not looking forward to it. About as much as I don't look forward to the ones where they have to push each other out of a circle or off of a log. 

I don't agree with this on either point. I don't think anything we saw or have read in post-game interviews indicates that Abi and Jeff have such a tight bond. Abi told PG that she was going to vote with Savage and Tasha. That was voting against Jeff, and it was Abi trying to get PG and Woo to commit to voting with Savage and Tasha against Jeff. Abi has zero loyalty to Jeff. Abi has zero loyalty to anyone other than Abi (which is not a criticism... that's one of the few things about her Survivor play that I support).

I agree 100%. I'm not seeing any bond there. I think when Abi got to the new camp she was ready to flip and she didn't really care WHO from her former tribe had to go. It might still have been Varner if PG hadn't gotten upset with Abi, stomped up to Savage and Tasha and said, "Abi needs to go. I don't like how she talks to me". 

• Love 1

I agree 100%. I'm not seeing any bond there. I think when Abi got to the new camp she was ready to flip and she didn't really care WHO from her former tribe had to go. It might still have been Varner if PG hadn't gotten upset with Abi, stomped up to Savage and Tasha and said, "Abi needs to go. I don't like how she talks to me". 

I was one who speculated that Abi may have a trust in Varner.  (Fleeting, of course as it IS Abi)  but It could easily be like you suggested  too.  I have to go with what I see on the show as I have not yet gotten into podcasts and post production talk.  But I do think in this round it is more likely that Abi called the shot to oust PG (not to save Varner but b/c she hated PG).  and they did it to keep Abi happy.  

I wish I could have seen who approached Varner and what they said..  Again, Abi's loyalty and trust is very shaky  so if there is any with Varner I doubt if it will last unless she's in the numbers.  Even saying "Abi's loyalty" is silly.. no such thing I believe.  .

ETA:  Sorry! my computer mis-fired!!

Edited by seasick
  • Love 1

Probably neither her nor there but Abi is one of the (many) people Varner says he connected with beforehand.   He says his main pre-show alliance was with Terry, Wigles (and Shane), also Vytas (surprisingly), but "he's tight with" Kelly Wentworth and Jeremy.  And "Stephen, Peih-Gee, Abi-Maria…already. We’ve already connected. I feel like I’m set up really well."  And Kimmi's "one of his best friends".  

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2015/09/11/survivor-second-chance-jeff-my-alliance-had-a-conference-call-before-we-left/

And Peih Gee, dude, you really don't know where Abi's resentment came from? She caught you badmouthing her like two days ago,
Abi's resentment came before that, though, which is why Peih-Gee was badmouthing Abi in the first place. It may have come from the bracelet incident, but if Shirin's to be believed, Abi hated Peih-Gee before that.
  • Love 1

The reality is that the "students" of the game are probably the worst to play it. They think they know how to play but they cannot adjust from the charts, preference orderings, and probabilities in their head to the real game which involves emotions and people skills as well as understanding the fluidity of alliances. Vanessa had the same problem on BB this year.

Solid take. There's being "meta" and analyzing what to do, but you need to actually do it. Stephen talks about socializing in "Know It Alls" and such, but when he's playing he needs to actually talk to people. Get out of your head and actually do it.

• Love 3

But I do agree with others that the WAY she did it was obnoxious. She might have handled it better by bringing it back up, in a calm way, back at camp. I think a lot of it working out well for her is due to Jeff's reaction, and the fact that Ta Keo were already fractured to begin with. 

Why wait to give Jeff time to compose himself and think about an excuse? Putting him on the spot in front of all three tribes was the absolute best way to do it. It's why she got the reaction from Jeff that she did. I'm just not sure why she owes it to Jeff to be calm about calling him out or how it would benefit her. 

Zuleikha said:

Jeff may have found Abi delightful, but I don't think he finds her so delightful that he is going to be loyal to her after learning she was completely happy... nay, eager to sell him out. I don't know how much PG told him, but assuming she told him that, I think he would have been happy to vote Abi out if he felt safe in the numbers to do so.

Who said anything about loyalty? It doesn't have one thing to do with loyalty. It has to do with Jeff overplaying and thinking too far ahead, thinking he could use the crazy lady as a shield now and at the end of the game. It has to do with who's the least likely on his current tribe to vote him off at this time. He's had the numbers to vote her out. He had the numbers to safely vote her out when they voted Shirin out. He chose not to. And it's not because he finds her "delightful", IMO. That's just him talking shit on TV. It's because he thinks she's a good goat. Besides, I'm not terribly sure what he does in the future has anything to do with the comment that was quoted, which was about why Jeff was not going to go against Abi this week.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2

Abi's resentment came before that, though, which is why Peih-Gee was badmouthing Abi in the first place. It may have come from the bracelet incident, but if Shirin's to be believed, Abi hated Peih-Gee before that.

Oh, I know, but that's silly and irrational, and I understand not getting where the animosity comes from if that was the only thing that happened.

But they had a huge blow-out fight a couple of nights before, born out of Abi catching Peih Gee badmouthing her, so Peih Gee going "where did this animosity come from" seems a bit disingenuous to me.

And I want to make it clear that I absolutely would have preferred Abi to go (I didn't even watch her season, while I watched Peih Gee's, and really liked her), but Peih Gee handled the situation completely wrong (the voting situation, not the Abi situation, I don't think there was a right way to handle Abi other than voting her out right away, which to be fair Peih Gee tried to do).

Edited because of very muddled grammar.

Edited by Caelicola
  • Love 1

Just watched a very entertaining multi person secret scene where Kass, Kelley and Keith discuss Joe (see the title "cabana boy:.  Kass cracks a joke!  Kelly says no way is she taking Joe to the end.  Keith says....well I don't want to ruin it.  Honestly I think I 'd enjoy Keith's old boy humor out there. 

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/STZ67W7Ym3Fz59rkdlHYiToi_F5YfxdZ/survivor-secret-scene-cabana-boy/

• Love 2

Where on earth did they get green peppers? I've never put green peppers with my rice before, usually just broccoli or peas, I wonder how the peppers would taste.

I'm giving Keith a side eye on that scene because it sounded like he said Joe would make a man a good wife some day.

I did love the shot of Joe coming out of the water, chest glistening, hair flowing...the editors know what they are doing. Too bad it didn't make the broadcast so more people could see it.

Where on earth did they get green peppers? I've never put green peppers with my rice before, usually just broccoli or peas, I wonder how the peppers would taste.

You've never made Spanish Rice then and yes, peppers with rice taste really good. At least I think so. 

• Love 4

I wondered about the green peppers as well.  A google of "does Cambodia have green peppers" just brings up a ton of hits for some local flavor type peppers that are tiny. 

I do what Chipotle does, sauted onion and green pepper in rice along with beans.  Try it! 

Keith does say Joe would make a good wife but I don't think he's throwing out a gay comment?  Maybe but I think he's just saying  that he's pretty and and a good cook in a meant to be funny in a snarky way (good ol boy humor). 

I loved Kass's self awareness and joke "I'd never normally approach Joe, he's out of my league but out here I sort of have him cornered"  Ha!

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 3

Solid take. There's being "meta" and analyzing what to do, but you need to actually do it. Stephen talks about socializing in "Know It Alls" and such, but when he's playing he needs to actually talk to people. Get out of your head and actually do it.

I think too some of these really book smart people lack street smarts and the ability to listen to their gut or intuition and adapt.  They also tend to be know-it-alls and so sure they're smarter than the others that they underestimate them and/or alienate them.  

That cabana boy clip is awesome.  That's the stuff I want to see more of IN the show.  People don't have to be backbiting to be entertaining. 

Keith does say Joe would make a good wife but I don't think he's throwing out a gay comment?  Maybe but I think he's just saying  that he's pretty and and a good cook in a meant to be funny in a snarky way (good ol boy humor). 

Yea, it definitely wasn't a gay comment. It was a sexist comment. Par for the course with Keith.

• Love 5

Goatgirl=Abi Maria.

I read somewhere else that calling Abi a goat isn't really accurate, goats can be controlled, and are loyal and compliant, think Phillip, or even Russell if you trick him into thinking he's in charge. Abi is more like a rabid badger, sure, people probably won't giver her a million dollars, but by the end of the game, you'll either be dead (voted out) or so covered in bites, that they just might reward the badger just to get back at you for bringing it along in the first place.

• Love 4

I wondered about the green peppers as well.  A google of "does Cambodia have green peppers" just brings up a ton of hits for some local flavor type peppers that are tiny.

Try "Bell Peppers". There really is no such thing as "Green Peppers", except as a color.

Edited by Kromm

I read somewhere else that calling Abi a goat isn't really accurate, goats can be controlled, and are loyal and compliant, think Phillip, or even Russell if you trick him into thinking he's in charge. Abi is more like a rabid badger, sure, people probably won't giver her a million dollars, but by the end of the game, you'll either be dead (voted out) or so covered in bites, that they just might reward the badger just to get back at you for bringing it along in the first place.

A goat in Survivor is just someone you take to the end that you know you will DEFINITELY beat. Noone ever said that they had to be compliant.

A goat in Survivor is just someone you take to the end that you know you will DEFINITELY beat. Noone ever said that they had to be compliant.

Right, but the point is that she's erratic, if you try to drag her along as a goat, she might turn on you for just looking at her the wrong way or saying something that's no big deal, but she might blow it out of proportion and vote with the other side. Bringing her along as a goat is a dangerous gamble, I guess I didn't make what I was saying clear enough, sorry.

• Love 1

goats can be controlled, and are loyal and compliant, think Phillip, or even Russell if you trick him into thinking he's in charge

Tell that to Parv. Russell in HVV was way more rabid then Abi could even think about being and he torpedoed Parv's chances at winning in the end as well. Horrible goat.

Abi might be high maintenance but she's controllable. Just feed into her delusions and let her think she's in charge.

I was thinking more of Russell during his first season.

Maybe there's some sweet spot to hit with Abi, but I think there's better goats to be had, she's just too nuts and unpredictable. At least that's how I'm seeing it now, if Varner rides her all the way to the end and wins, my hat will be off to him, man will he ever deserve it.

• Love 1

Tell that to Parv. Russell in HVV was way more rabid then Abi could even think about being and he torpedoed Parv's chances at winning in the end as well. Horrible goat.

Abi might be high maintenance but she's controllable. Just feed into her delusions and let her think she's in charge.

I feel the problem that makes Abi uncontrollable is that she has extreme levels of paranoia that it's impossible to know what will trigger her against you. You can't control that unless you are a mind reader, and to even try to control it would be exhausting.

And that doesn't include anyone on an opposing alliance putting false ideas in her head against you.

I just want her gone before she ruins anyone else's game .

Edited by rose711
  • Love 5

Yea, it definitely wasn't a gay comment. It was a sexist comment. Par for the course with Keith.

Although having gone to a friend's country club with cabana boys waiting on you constantly, I'm feeling that whoever called Joe the cabana boy is making another kind of offensive comment based on wealth disparity. The usually lower middle class cabana boys carry the stuff, move the furniture, check the ice and generally do all the errands for the insanely wealthy patrons. There is a definite snob element in calling him the cabana boy

I honestly don't understand how in limited quarters with few people to interact with, you can't find ways to have strategic, as well as relationship building conversations with each person. It's mind boggling

I think Jeff is obnoxious, so I was all for Tasha calling him out. She was at the bottom and likely going home, so good for her for finding a way to escape. I didn't mind Jeff much in Australia, but is there a reason why he is completely dominating this show? He gets several confessionals per episode, usually about how he is svengaliing everyone. Meanwhile, there are some like Keith and Kass who have barely been on.

I know it was supposedly a random box draw, but I find it suspicious that not only did none of the tribes end up with a 3-3 or 5-1 split, but also that each tribe was perfectly balanced with 3 men and 3 women. Someone with a better knowledge of statistics could probably compute the odds on the even gender distribution. They are probably higher than I think.

The men and women chose from two different trays, but it may still not be random. They set the tribes for even divisions of men and women.

Russell didn't get carried to the end.  He carried his alliance(s) to the end.  Others were targeting him most of his first two seasons.  They all failed. 

So while he may play a game that is unwinnable, I think he in no way is a goat. 

• Love 1

I kinda refuse to believe they really weren't given any food. That makes no sense. Probst even said they would get the same things the other tribes got on day 1 and I'm pretty sure they got rice.

He said they get the basic supplies, but none of the marooning supplies that made the camps livable. The tool kit, building materials and other stuff.The other tribe got rice only because Woo won it. They are starting off as a basic tribe.

Jeff said:

"The Angkor tribe is starting from scratch. Same supplies that were waiting for them on the beach on day one, but without any of the supplies they were able to get off the boat at the marooning," Probst teased. "It's a MASSIVE set back. All their energy now has to go to building a new shelter which could hurt them at the immunity challenges."

The put the 10 men of "Alone" in the middle of British Columbia in the winter, no food, no shelter... nothing. If these kids cannot find food with the ocean at their feet, or fruit trees all around them (follow the monkeys, boys & girls), that's their problem.

You realize the massive and obvious difference here is that in a game for a million dollars, a third of the people have a huge disparity in resources and are dependent on the rain stopping so they can even work or eat.

If everyone had the same resources, if they took away all the other tribes stuff, it would be fair. This new tribe is doomed to go to tribal council every week

Even if you don't care if it's fair, it makes for terribly boring television. We will be seeing the same people at tribal that we have already seen for the past three weeks, for the next few weeks.

It's unfair to the players and boring entertainment. We will end up with half the players never in tribal for the first 6 weeks or so of the show.

• Love 3

Although having gone to a friend's country club with cabana boys waiting on you constantly, I'm feeling that whoever called Joe the cabana boy is making another kind of offensive comment based on wealth disparity. The usually lower middle class cabana boys carry the stuff, move the furniture, check the ice and generally do all the errands for the insanely wealthy patrons. There is a definite snob element in calling him the cabana boy

I honestly don't understand how in limited quarters with few people to interact with, you can't find ways to have strategic, as well as relationship building conversations with each person. It's mind boggling

The men and women chose from two different trays, but it may still not be random. They set the tribes for even divisions of men and women.

There was only one tray to pick from this season.  I don't think the odds of an even gender split are particularly low.  But they didn't seem to care (production, that is), which is consistent with past recent seasons. 

There might've been a snob element to the cabana boy joke but I felt like it was more a joke about how lux the women on Bayon had it, with Joe doing the fishing and cooking and all.  They're supposed to be miserable out there but they're acting like they're at a fancy beach resort, thanks to Joe.

There was only one tray to pick from this season.  I don't think the odds of an even gender split are particularly low.  But they didn't seem to care (production, that is), which is consistent with past recent seasons. 

There might've been a snob element to the cabana boy joke but I felt like it was more a joke about how lux the women on Bayon had it, with Joe doing the fishing and cooking and all.  They're supposed to be miserable out there but they're acting like they're at a fancy beach resort, thanks to Joe.

No, it was two identical trays. You have to slow it down and look carefully.
  • Love 1

I just rewatched a third time and you're right.  They made it really hard to tell.  Sneaky.  

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure that's true.  Or at least not as easy as it sounds.  She was ready to toss Varner out this week. If PG had played her differently, Jeff would have secret-messaged himself right out of the game. 

And in PG's defense, there's no way to know how to play her correctly except in hindsight. Even if Abi's still with you, she will blow up your game and expose your plans just so she can feel superior to whomever she's talking to. 

Anyone who tries to bring Abi along the whole way is going to get burned. This isn't a Katie from Pulau.

Now you folks need to excuse me -- I need to go fetch a bag of bell peppers and whole bunch of rice.  

• Love 5

Try "Bell Peppers". There really is no such thing as "Green Peppers", except as a color.

Headsmack!  You are right!

Does anyone know why they elected to set one team so far back?  I really don't understand.  If it was to ensure a pagonging or drama?  I just dont understand why they did it but no one seems happy about it so i think its a big FAIL.

• Love 1

Russell didn't get carried to the end.  He carried his alliance(s) to the end.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. He did his part, I would agree with that, but the others didn't vote him out because they knew nobody would vote for him in the end, Natalie said in a confessional that she was keeping him in the game for that very reason. If he wasn't a goat, he was definitely goatish, but they did get to the end at least partially because of his uncanny knack for finding idols, that I will agree with, but he only made it to the end because Natalie knew she could beat him.

• Love 4

It's really interesting that the show recognized viewers' unhappiness with the sexism of last season, yet they still see no problem with giving most of the female contestants poor edits to the point where some of them are basically mute. They seem to think that the only way women's voices should be heard is through stories that male players tell in an attempt to humanize themselves (Savage last week, the totally awkward and cringeworthy discussion Spencer had with Jeremy this week, Jon talking about Jaclyn's infertility problems). I'm so over this. 

• Love 7

I've heard plenty of women's voices this season so far -- Abi's, Peih-Gee's, Tasha's, Shirin's.  It's not like Ciera and Monica are any less heard than Joe or Keith.  

It's really interesting that the show recognized viewers' unhappiness with the sexism of last season, yet they still see no problem with giving most of the female contestants poor edits to the point where some of them are basically mute. They seem to think that the only way women's voices should be heard is through stories that male players tell in an attempt to humanize themselves (Savage last week, the totally awkward and cringeworthy discussion Spencer had with Jeremy this week, Jon talking about Jaclyn's infertility problems). I'm so over this.

Kelley is the star of the show. Shirin briefly ran an alliance. Abi is close to getting the most confessionals.

The mute people this week: as in having no confessionals, Woo, Keith, Kass, Kimmi, Kelly.

I get what you mean about the women being invisible, but Keith has also been missing. There is the issue of a small group of people going to tribal council every week.

I think the women are going to take over about 2/3 through the season.

And did you see everyone commenting on how hot Joe is? No one is talking about the women in the same way. The first person voted off was talking about how he would treat "the women."

You may be missing that a theme of this season is family/relationships. That is why Savage awkwardly edited story was told and Spencer's weird confession about his inability to express love. At least that's my theory.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 5

rose711 - I totally get your point and I've been thinking about some of those things too. It's just I feel that Kelley has actually been somewhat quiet, except for finding the idol, which they had to highlight and Abi gets an unusual amount of airtime because she's such an unbelievable trainwreck. I don't understand why people like Ciera, Kass, Monica and Kimmi can't get more confessionals. I'm sure they'd be just as interesting as Savage's or Jeremy's. And I do think they have a tendency to have the women's stories/plans/strategies omitted or articulated by men. It is an issue with this show. But I think I've also become cynical because of the abysmal editing that Survivor has had before. Like NutMeg said, we'll have to see how it plays out. 

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 5

If you think the editing here is bad, watch a season of Big Brother.  

I get annoyed with some things that they leave out that seem like they would've been fun to see, but I have to hand it to them-- they do make stories and themes out of the footage.  

I agree with rose that the 'second chance' theme for a lot of them, especially men, is that they're going to work the social game better and that's why we're seeing all the gushy "I love my wife" stories (which are kind of the opposite of mysogynist, I think).  The editors are showing us the alpha males showing their soft, vulnerable sides. I kind of doubt it's strategy so much as just small talk but sometimes the stories they create are entertaining.  I'd be happy to watch them sit around and discuss careers or burger joints or past seasons but we only get the chatter that fuels the stories, unless it's truly wrecktacular, like Abi.

I feel the problem that makes Abi uncontrollable is that she has extreme levels of paranoia that it's impossible to know what will trigger her against you. You can't control that unless you are a mind reader, and to even try to control it would be exhausting.

And that doesn't include anyone on an opposing alliance putting false ideas in her head against you.

I just want her gone before she ruins anyone else's game .

Agree with this. It's pretty clear you that you need to stroke Abi's ego to keep her happy and working with you. The trouble is knowing what will and won't make her happy. Another poster made a great example of what dealing with Abi must be like :

Abi: "Are you looking at my man?"

Me: "No". 

Abi: "Why, you think he's ugly?"

Something to that effect, and I think it was spot on. Girl is crazy, and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the right things to say and do with her.

• Love 1

It doesn't surprise me at all that Spencer would bond with Jeremy. In some ways Jeremy is similar to Tony - an older father figure, with a physical "blue collar" job that Spencer can look up to. And if Kass is to be believed, Spencer was in awe of Tony. 

• Love 1
The mute people this week: as in having no confessionals, Woo, Keith, Kass, Kimmi, Kelly.

Monica and Ciera were barely visible even if they got a confessional. We don't know anything about their relationships or their strategies. It's unbalanced. We're basically not seeing Kass, Kimmi, Kelly, Monica, and Ciera at all for the women. For the men, we're not seeing Keith (although we know he's in an alliance). We're not hearing from Joe, but we're seeing a ton of him with his competency highlighted. Woo probably would be invisible if he had been on Bayon or new-Ta Keo/new-Bayon, but since he's been involved in every Tribal Council, we are still seeing him.

Sure, some of it is who's affecting the game. But Stephen, Jeremy, Savage, Spencer, and Terry have been getting a lot of screentime that IMHO is not directly connected to how much actual effect they're having on the events of the episode and some of that time could be used for the women. 

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 5

It doesn't surprise me at all that Spencer would bond with Jeremy. In some ways Jeremy is similar to Tony - an older father figure, with a physical "blue collar" job that Spencer can look up to. And if Kass is to be believed, Spencer was in awe of Tony. 

I recall that Spencer's parents are divorced and I don't think his father is around....something like that.  That's probably why he told Jeremy saying he takes the words "I love you" very seriously. And it's probably why he bonded a bit with Tony, and now hopefully Jeremy. 

Maybe it's not a father-figure kind of thing but just worldly experience and advice from men he admires.   Good picks IMO. 

Regardless, and even though they did seem to bond a bit,  I don't think Spencer was in awe of Tony on a fatherly level.  Mosty he was super impressed by Tony's game.  As were many (myself included).

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

Monica and Ciera were barely visible even if they got a confessional. We don't know anything about their relationships or their strategies. It's unbalanced. We're basically not seeing Kass, Kimmi, Kelly, Monica, and Ciera at all for the women. For the men, we're not seeing Keith (although we know he's in an alliance). We're not hearing from Joe, but we're seeing a ton of him with his competency highlighted. Woo probably would be invisible if he had been on Bayon or new-Ta Keo/new-Bayon, but since he's been involved in every Tribal Council, we are still seeing him.

Sure, some of it is who's affecting the game. But Stephen, Jeremy, Savage, Spencer, and Terry have been getting a lot of screentime that IMHO is not directly connected to how much actual affect they're having on the events of the episode and some of that time could be used for the women.

This is an interesting point that I'm going to have to think about. I probably could have done with fewer Fishbach incompetent scenes and heard from someone else. Maybe not Jeremy as much. But I think what we have seen is setting the stage for conflict. I'm seeing the possibility that the women's alliances will come into play later in the game.

I'm always interested in the invisible edit. Is it because it doesn't involve the winners storyline? Were they boring? Did they not do anything to warrant a confessional? Do they do some amount of confessionals as everyone else and they just aren't aired? Production hates them? It is sort of alarming that this many returnees aren't getting any airtime. I could understand if they were new people but they have all played before and had airtime then.

• Love 1

I think they all tape the same number of confessionals, or maybe TC tribes get more, but the editors have to pick a story to squeeze into 38 minutes.  I feel like it's the same situation every season.  If we heard from everyone each week when there's 12-20 people, it would have to be pretty random stuff not a coherent story like "the two underdogs at Angkor wind up controlling the TC vote and evil Abi triumphs yet again".  The story is a lot more likely to generate chatter and interest than leaving that out but including tidbits like 'Kelly resents Keith not helping around camp' or whatever the confessionals we don't hear say.  Plus no matter what they show us, the ep ends with Peih-Gee leaving so we may as well get the how/who/why of it.

I'm always interested in the invisible edit. Is it because it doesn't involve the winners storyline? Were they boring? Did they not do anything to warrant a confessional? Do they do some amount of confessionals as everyone else and they just aren't aired? Production hates them? It is sort of alarming that this many returnees aren't getting any airtime. I could understand if they were new people but they have all played before and had airtime then.

The way I see it everyone has an amount of confessionals daily (maybe one or two) but if they don't include something that is: strategic that results in something in the game, funny, argumentative, in any way negotiatable and/or something that will result in discussion to the audience, they don't get air time. If a player does not get air time almost at all in three - four episodes in a row but they are still in the game, it just means that they did nothing strategic that will have an impact in the game OR that they won't have an impact overall and will sooner or later be voted out. Players that create drama, interesting or funny discussion, make controversial comments (like Dan last season talking about how he treats women) etc will be aired. In general producers choosing what will air and what won't want two things, in my opinion: 1. Tell the story of how the game went resulting in X winner how they think it happened and 2. Show drama and create discussions that will keep the audience busy in forums, podcasts, between family gatherings etc.

• Love 1
I also think that Tasha and Andrew aligned with Abi as they considered that Pei Gei may realign with her former tribe mates while Abil really was on her own and more likely to stay with them.

Also, PG and Woo were clearly a pair, while Abi was willing to vote against Jeff and then PG. So it made sense for Tasha/Savage to vote PG and break up a strong pair. Now that tribe is basically Tasha/Savage and three unaligned free agents.

I don't like Abi but it doesn't bother me when people like her are cast. She is not really a viable competitor to win the game as much as she is a variable (a crazy, unstable, unpredictable, shit-stirring, over-emotional flip-flopping drama queen powder-keg that can blow up in your face variable) that has to be accounted for and handled properly if you want to win the game. To me it is clear that you would want to vote her off as soon as possible since she could easily turn on you and destroy your game for any bizarre reason.

It is fascinating that the players don't seem to realize what seems obvious to me. Instead they think they will be able to control and use her to "take out bigger threats" or whatever, and now it has blown up in people's faces two weeks in a row. Shirin and PG have been booted, Jeff and Spencer could have easily gotten axed, and Woo is hanging by a thread. All because they decided keeping Abi was "more strategic" than getting rid of her ASAP.

No one seems to realize that as long as Abi is running around with her special brand of lunacy, she IS the biggest threat to everyone else's game and should have been the very first boot. I don't understand the logic in keeping her over ANYONE else but as long as she stays alive, it is really interesting to see who else thinks they can team up with her only to get snakebit very soon after.

• Love 5
THIS x 1,000.  It's not entertaining, IMO, to blindfold people and watch them run into stuff.  How many times is Probst going to have to make everyone stop in their tracks this time while medical tends to someone's bleeding forehead?

I don't like these challenges, either, but I bet there is a big segment of the population that does.  I never have found physical humor funny, either, but people do. Hopefully we're spared the obligatory 'railing hard in the guy's crotch' shot we always get. 

The ones I like even less are where they have to pry someone off a pole or otherwise manhandle each other.  Another really bad one was 'drag a partner tied to you with a rope through an obstacle course', like where Penner hurt his leg and Parvati hurt her head.

I have to admit, I do find the blindfold challenges funny (NOT when people get hurt or have things fall on them), but I've been entertained by the ones where they choose a spectacularly bad caller. It makes me laugh to see people groping around while the idiot up on the platform forgets to call out or worse, uses hand gestures with blindfolded people. 

But I am 100% with you on the other types, the "drag someone bodily across the sand" one really bothers me and looks like a medevac waiting to happen and that obstacle course one was brutal. 

I wish I could have seen who approached Varner and what they said.. 

I thought they did show a brief scene of Tasha (or was it Abi?) talking to Varner in the shelter telling him the vote was PG and he said he was absolutely voting that way and promised not to pull any fast ones. 

I loved Kass's self awareness and joke "I'd never normally approach Joe, he's out of my league but out here I sort of have him cornered"  Ha!

I have to say, I'm not loving this muted, go along to get along version of Kass. Granted, she hasn't had any reason to be anything but placid given the luck of her 2 tribe draws so far, but she's kind of dull when she's nice.