Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E03: We Got A Rat

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

It's all pre-planned, right down to the last challenge.

ETA: All buffs, printing of the clues, idols, challenge construction, set up... it's all done well in advance. Has to be.

That thing they had today was massive, three different stages, those bumpy trails, the keys... think about the man-hours that went into just that one challenge that lasted for about 10 minutes on the screen.

They didn't decide 2 days ago "Hey, let's swap them into three tribes and go build a course for three teams, complete with different colors!

• Love 23

Shane knew about the three tribe split before the season began filming.  Granted, he could have been full of it and just took a good guess.  It is hard to say, as I think TPTB could have easily decided not to do the swap this earlier.  It definitely benefited Spencer, and likely Stephen as well though.  But they would have to assume Spencer would get lucky with his new tribe.  They could still consider him a threat, or he could have wound up with Ta'Keo members who had it out for him.  So it is a gamble.  But in this case, I don't think there was necessarily any funny business going on.

• Love 5

I think the main reason Abi stayed is that Tasha very easily called that Abi was the outsider and could quite readily be manipulated.  It was that simple.

That, and I think that Abi stuck with her targets and was decisive while Peih-Gee waffled too much.  She was mostly for Jeff, then suddenly for Abi when she explained very clearly why she felt like she was the outsider of the original Ta Keos.  I don't think Tasha or Andrew appreciated the sudden shift and realized they wanted to work with someone decisive.

• Love 6
I actually thought at the beginning that Terry would leave given how over the top cocky his confessionals were being.

That was one of the best examples of mis-direction the editors have given us in a long time.

I'm terrible at lip-reading, but I could have sworn Varner was mouthing something about an Idol.  But Wigglesworth doesn't have one, so that doesn't make much sense.  

I like the idea of the split from two to three tribes.  It seemed that each tribe would've have an interesting dynamic at TC.  And I'm inclined to seriously doubt that the switch-up had anything to do with protecting any particular player.  It made sense since they were at a total number that was divisible by 3.  And I think/hope that with returning players whom TPTB know are coming into filming with pre-established alliances TPTB had planned a number of unexpected twists to keep them off-balance.

• Love 7

Peih Gee did make a huge mistake, I see that now.  She got tunnel vision and got very stubborn and tried to vote based on petty reasons and hoping the rest of the tribe would do the same.  It's like #KHAOSKASS, except Kass actually took out that cop (Sarah?).  Kass ruined her entire game, but she did better than Peih Gee here.  LOL.  

I'm sorry but I love Woo and I love the idea to him sticking on the side of everything somehow.

• Love 2

I'm terrible at lip-reading, but I could have sworn Varner was mouthing something about an Idol. But Wigglesworth doesn't have one, so that doesn't make much sense.

I think that's it! Jeff was trying to tell Kelly that Jeremy found one. I'm gonna zapruder it.

Edited by cherrypj
  • Love 5

Oh and one of my favorite things about the season is watching people grab the hidden idols at challenges.  That's one of the best twists in forever.

Yes, absolutely love it and so far both got it without anyone else knowing anything was off.  So now that there are 3 tribes, does that mean Angkor has a clue on their crummy beach too?  Well, given that their tribe is going to implode under the inferior conditions, they better get searching.

• Love 3

Was there something edited out of the end of the challenge? Because in tribal it was described as Varner having an emotional breakdown, and I didn't see any big display of emotions or anything. 
I heart Spencer, but I still think he's in a pretty precarious position -- he's just on a team much less likely to lose immunity and thus go to tribal council. Although he does seem to fall behind in puzzle challenges a lot, lol. I think he's getting a good edit so far, he's one of the few players that have been shown really embracing the "second chance" concept, which bodes well for him.

• Love 11

Stupid end to a stupid episode. Peih-Gee should've targeted Abi-Maria in the previous vote out instead of Shirin. Hell, Abi should be cooling her heels in the Losers' Lounge, but she's still in the game. Damn her. And she's become such an obvious goat, Tom Buchanan's shorts are fitting a lot snugger.

Seriously, would it have killed the producers to throw in a Reward Challenge so that the new Angkor tribe could have won something substantial? "You like your current situation? BANG! You gotta rebuild shelter all over again." That strikes me as unfair, even with the 2-in-3 shot of winning immunity.

How weird is it that two of the most beta of males (Spencer and Stephen) wind up on the same tribe? Almost as weird as both nominees' names having hyphens in them.

I can't stand Abi. You're supposed to vote out crazy, not put up with it for five weeks and change. And I'm hoping one of the old school guys (Andrew, Jeff, Terry) gets thrown under the bus soon.

• Love 8

For me this was a tough episode...it was a version of the Star Trek "Kobiyashi Maru" No Win Scenario. Almost all of my favorite players wound up on the LOSING TEAM! The only one I wouldn't have cared about going home was Varner and was dismayed when the vote shifted away from him (they had legit reasons for tossing him and should have stuck with it!)...once that happened I knew I would lose someone that I liked seeing  play. Worse I feel bad for Woo because he lost his closest alliance mate. Still I will admit I would have lost 75% of my interest in this season if Tasha went out this early.

Meanwhile I hated how well Pompous Terry and his team were doing. I wanted them to lose and get him out of there. Plus I don't like it when everything goes perfect for Joe.

Also I will be happy when Fishback goes. The reason being I enjoy listening to Rob Has A Podcast but its no fun this year because of Rob and Josh are so biased towards Stephen it sucks. Last weeks podcast was the first I had to shut off because Eliza Orlins got on the microphone and started defending Stephen and it was sicking. I don't like cliques and I don't need to hear about the stupid NYC Surivors called the "Wine and Cheese" club rallying around Fishback. Ugh..just ugh.

Spencer is a real prize isn't he:? Anyone who has to WORK at showing emotions or any interest in other people...well I'll just have to shake my head. 

That Idol was so prominent I was just waiting for someone else to see it and say "What's this?!" Jeremy spent wayyyy to long retrieving it. He was lucky.

Also to this day I believe they get some sort of help by production finding these clues and idols...I mean c'mon...its a HUGE jungle...the odds of finding the right tree, rock or whatever seem so remote I can't calculate them.

Monica=non-entity with Kimmi K. as Vice-non entity.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 4

I actually regard Spencer as an alpha male. He is strong in challenges but true, has beta tendencies.   Based upon tonight's episode I don't want to speculate that he is somewhere on the autism spectrum, but the idea of trying to manufacture or fake human emotions is strange.  He did it well though with Jeremy. I Love a possible alliance between him and Stephen.  Both kind of strategic nerds.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 4

Peih-Gee should've targeted Abi-Maria in the previous vote out instead of Shirin.

It definitely felt to me like a little bit of karma coming back to kick her in the butt for that.

• Love 4

Shane knew about the three tribe split before the season began filming. Granted, he could have been full of it and just took a good guess.

I swear I read a pre-show interview with Kass where she also speculated that the tribes would go from 2 to 3. I remember it because I was spoiled for that twist, so I thought it was odd that she'd call it. Now I feel naive for not speculating instead that the news had leaked.
  • Love 13

Yes, absolutely love it and so far both got it without anyone else knowing anything was off.  So now that there are 3 tribes, does that mean Angkor has a clue on their crummy beach too?  Well, given that their tribe is going to implode under the inferior conditions, they better get searching.

They must have a clue on the new beach, and they must be changing the unfound clues before each challenge.  Otherwise the instructions for where at the challenge is wouldn't make sense.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 3

The must have a clue on the new beach, and the must be changing the unfound clues before each challenge.  Otherwise the instructions for where at the challenge is wouldn't make sense.

Yes, exactly. A lot or running around by the "mice crew".

• Love 2

Abi had me fooled with all her out of game interviews into believing what we saw wasn't really her, but a mixture of being crabby due to injury, and a bad edit (I was less sold on that, but gave her the benefit of the doubt). Now I know that regardless of how she is in real life, she has one Survivor speed, crazy person.

I hate that Varner is on that tribe, I really care nothing about anybody on it except him, PG was ok, but I didn't care that much about her. Wish Fishback had been on there instead of Varner.

• Love 3

By the way who is this "Josh" from Rob's show and has he been on Survivor before or something?  What's his authority on the game.  Thanks.

Stephen is the usual co host but since he can't since he is/was a contestant....Josh Wigler who is a cohost on many other podcasts with Rob is filling in. Unfortunatly Josh is one of those podcasters that can't actually carry on a serious discussion without trying to insert some sort of joke, wisecrack or pun into literally every sentence he says as if he were auditioning for being a stand up comedian. I was dismayed that he would be covering SURVIVOR this season for this reason and now trowel on the bias for Fishback and its brutal. To Josh's credit though he has watched all seasons and is often plugging I believe a book he wrote about the strategy used on SURVIVOR over the run of the series.

Edited by North of Eden

By the way who is this "Josh" from Rob's show and has he been on Survivor before or something?  What's his authority on the game.  Thanks.

He writes recaps of Survivor for Parade Magazine, he and Rob became friends and started podcasting together. He's never played Survivor, he's filling in for Fishbach since he's on this season.

• Love 2

That Varner is a crafty bastard!  Well played, after a huge screw up.  Why talk to Wiggles??  You certainly don't need her advice. 

"....middle of a big ol' mess."    Of your own making.  Funny

I won't miss PG, I would rather Savage be gone, but this will do.  He annoys the crap out of me.  I cheered when he got whacked the first time.

Too much foreshadowing on Terry, I knew he wasn't leaving.  Damn.

That's the most even tribe split I can remember.  All three have an old tribe majority of four with two people on each with huge targets on them. 

Rotten trick that the new tribe got absolutely no food.  At least they have fire.

Don't be so confident there Fishback.  At least Savage is out of his face for awhile.

So now it's cool to idol hunt after trashing Fishback for it.  Is Jeremy going to keep it to himself or tell the big happy gang of four?  One more time.  Enough with the tears.

Decent episode.

• Love 2
Well, I hated to see Peih-Gee leave so soon, but she hasn't learned a thing about not crossing Abi-Maria.  She should've been calmer with her when she was talking about being on the bottom.  If she had been, and she hadn't tried to target her after that, they might've agreed on Jeff. 

I know they edit a lot of tribal council out, but I think Peih Gee totally lost it when she gave her reasons for keeping her (loyalty), then Abi was asked the same and she said her reasons were the same as Peih Gee's but then listed totally different reasons such as camp work.  I wish Peih Gee had jumped in and said "actually, she isn't loyal, even if she's telling you she is.  She changes her mind with every changing emotion.  She will suddenly say she's no longer with you just like she did to me today.  She is completely unpredictable and a danger to have around."  It might not have worked....but I'm so sorry she didn't try.

Abi's "second time you've written my name down" to Woo was just so passive-aggressive in that fake sweet voice.  

Go, Jeremy!  Get that idol!  I'm glad he got it instead of that overrated sap, Stephen!  Now I wonder if he'll tell Kimmi, Stephen, and Monica about it?  They did agree to share it as an alliance.

Well, Stephen suggested it, and we saw, I guess, tacit agreement in that they then all set to work looking at the same time, but Jeremy immediately said "our...MY idol" when he was opening the clue.  And good for him.

Edited by Jobiska
  • Love 12

But where has it been shown that Abi does nothing at camp though? She brought it up tonight that she did a lot a camp and nobody disagreed, in fact they showed Savage of all people nodding his head when she said that. Now this could be edit manipulation of course, but who knows.

Edited by cooksdelight

In regards to Spencer, at first I thought he was telling that story as a way to mock Savage from last week-then I realized they weren't together on the same tribe and he obviously wouldn't have seen this yet.  I don't know if he was being sincere or not but it seemed like he did a good job of pulling something out of nowhere to socialize and find an in.  Unlike some people, at least he's learning and modifying his game where he needs to.

• Love 3

Rewatched Jeremy finding the clue.  Oh god, it was so good.

Rewatched Jeff Varner mouthing to Kelly.

I really think he says "Kimmi.  Monica."  

Then he says "Four".  And makes his hand into 4 fingers.  That's what I think.    He wants Jeff V. - Kelly W. - Kimmie - Monica to be his final four.  wonald.  I agree.  I watched it a few times.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

Yeah, at first I thought it was Keep Monica.  But it looks even more like Kim Monica.  Then I had to look at the names of the people on Monica's tribe.  LOL.  Then I realized there's a Kimmi and it looks more like that than anything.

It seems to me like 3 women that Jeff thinks/knows he can control.  I am starting to hate Jeff now, but feeling like he's better at this game than most of these players; goddammit!  He's so good at making it seem like somebody else is always in control.  Last Tribal Council it was, tell everyone Abi's in control and make her feel like it.  This Tribal Council it was about appeasing Tasha and Savage for the time being but also making Woo and Abi think that they're stealing control.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
Based upon tonight's episode I don't want to speculate that he is somewhere on the autism spectrum, but the idea of trying to manufacture or fake human emotions is strange.  He did it well though with Jeremy. I Love a possible alliance between him and Stephen.  Both kind of strategic nerds.

As a special ed. teacher with lots of experience with the autism spectrum, I'm going to throw you a "no" here :)  I don't think he was trying to manufacture or fake emotions; he's just not comfortable spilling his beans and discussing his personal business, especially in public (i.e. on TV) but he threw it out there anyway in an effort to connect with Jeremy, whom he correctly read as a "relationship guy" - so well done, Spencer!

Meanwhile, I see that wonald and Ms Blue Jay have beaten me to what I thought Jeff was saying:  "Kimmie.  Monica."  Why?  I'm assuming it's a signal to ally with them.  

But to me the smartest move of the night was Tasha doing the "We got a rat!"  She was doing what I felt Shirin/Spencer should have done last week, which is calling out Abi and letting everyone else know she was an unreliable ally/liability/tattletale.  I was amazed that two smartypants such as themselves thought that wooing Woo was such a great idea - to do what - make it 3 against the majority instead of 2 against the majority?  Even Woo isn't that dumb.  Better to throw a bomb into the smug "we've got this" gang and see where it lands.  Which is exactly what Tasha did, and I thought it seemed to be working (so did Jeff, based upon what we saw!) and it was just his good fortune that PG and Abi got in his way.  (And BTW, although I liked PG better, she was the dummy who shot herself in the foot this time, by being stubborn for a bad reason, so too bad, sweetheart :)

• Love 12

But to me the smartest move of the night was Tasha doing the "We got a rat!"  She was doing what I felt Shirin/Spencer should have done last week, which is calling out Abi and letting everyone else know she was an unreliable ally/liability/tattletale.  I was amazed that two smartypants such as themselves thought that wooing Woo was such a great idea - to do what - make it 3 against the majority instead of 2 against the majority?  Even Woo isn't that dumb.  Better to throw a bomb into the smug "we've got this" gang and see where it lands.  Which is exactly what Tasha did, and I thought it seemed to be working (so did Jeff, based upon what we saw!) and it was just his good fortune that PG and Abi got in his way.  (And BTW, although I liked PG better, she was the dummy who shot herself in the foot this time, by being stubborn for a bad reason, so too bad, sweetheart :)

The "rat" she was calling out was Jeff, not Abi.

Why did Peih-Gee call out Woo at the end?  Was she really offering him support or was she throwing him under the bus?  He rolled his eyes like he wished she hadn't said anything, but clearly they were aligned.

• Love 2

It doesn't look like food was a reward. They're really just letting that third tribe continue with no food? Unless I'm missing something, that's insane.

I thought it looked like something was wrong with Jeremy. When he was talking with Spencer, he never looked at him. It almost seemed like there was a problem with his neck. Later it looked like he was always hunched over. He smiled a lot, but he's a smiling type of guy. He also seemed pretty skinny for this stage of the game.

I don't think Jeff was clever at all. He got caught "ratting". Then he stupidly outed the fact that he'd made a deal with Savage. When returning to camp, he simply laid down, even though Savage and Woo made it obvious they were going to strategize. Then at tribal he called out Savage and Tasha calling the shots, which very well may make him their next target.

• Love 4
Why did Peih-Gee call out Woo at the end?  Was she really offering him support or was she throwing him under the bus?  He rolled his eyes like he wished she hadn't said anything, but clearly they were aligned.

No. I simply interpret this as Peih-Gee genuinely wishing Woo luck at the end because that's when she realized Woo was the only one to vote with her.  Woo looked (of course) simply dumbstruck, and rolled his eyes helplessly, as if to say, "Well I'm good and fucked now."   In my opinion neither was upset with the other.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19

Peih-Gee should've targeted Abi-Maria in the previous vote out instead of Shirin. 

Peih-Gee and Woo kind of got what they paid for. Instead of going with Shirin, Spencer and Kelley Wentworth last week to vote out Abi, they voted Shirin out. (Kelley mentioned that she was only voting the way she did because she had to.) If you keep someone like Abi around, it will come back and bite you. When I said they were fools to align themselves with Abi last week, I didn't realize how quickly that would prove itself. Peih-Gee is gone because she made a stupid move last week, then another stupid move this week when she told Tasha and Andrew exactly how they could split the tribe by being so adamant about getting Abi out. Never had any affection for Peih-Gee (although I don't dislike her, either), so I was able to enjoy seeing her dumb play bite her in the ass--even if it meant smarmy Varner and horrible Abi won the night.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 8

Well, that sucked. Basically, Savage chose to keep Abi over Peih-Gee because he thinks Abi is stronger. It doesn't matter how strong someone is if they are toxic. He didn't learn this the last time around when he picked on Skinny Ryan. So I think it would be karma if he went home soon.

Abi is toxic. She is paranoid and confrontational and always plays the victim. It's exhausting. She thinks her shit doesn't stink when it is in reality the stinkiest of all. I hated how she says with that I can't believe you'd do this to me tone to Woo "second time you write down my name". First of all, it's a game. Second of all, she sounded so much like Rupert the first time he got votes against him and bellowed and raged and demanded to know who voted for him. I can't stand her. It was a huge mistake to keep her. She is unreliable and overly emotional and will always flip to whoever promises her the most. Peih-Gee would have been more loyal.

I don't think Peih-Gee was "outing" Woo. It was obvious he was with her.

• Love 13

Well, this episode was a surprise. From the 3 tribe split, to Jeff being caught doing something stupid & Tasha publicly calling him out, to Peih-Gee being voted out after Tasha & Savage pull themselves to the top of the tribe.  I didn't see any of it coming.

• Love 7

As others have said, I don't think Spencer is incapable of emotions. I thought he was talking about trying something new ("feeling") within the context of the game. And, might I say, he did a pretty darned good job of it.

The chicken killing scene freaked out my 11-year-old daughter, to whom I then had to explain that that chicken probably lived and died more humanely than the chicken she had just eaten for dinner. Survivor may very well turn us into a vegetarian household by the end of the season. ;-)

Just once (maybe not this season because I'm rooting for too many others), I would like the jury to give the million dollars to the goat, if only so people will stop keeping obnoxious people like Abi around.

I'm really enjoying this season so far. I only had a few clear favorites going in (Wiglesworth, Spencer, and Joe), but there are already lots of people who I wouldn't mind seeing win. 

• Love 1

I hope that stupid act bites Jeff later.  That was like the opposite of covert.  He may as well have just shouted it out.  His smug, know-it-all game is bugging me.  I was glad when I thought he was going.  And when I thought Andrew might.  And when I thought Abi might.

I was really glad someone found a clue and an idol.  Those are fun.  His was easier than Kelly's.  Of course everyone would be looking up right then.  I wonder if we'll see a situation where two of them find the same clue to the same idol and realize they're both going for it, during the challenge.  

I don't think the jungle portion they have access to is probably that large.  They're probably fairly roped in, to keep them from strolling into each other's camps or production or getting lost.  And if no one found any clues, this would be the most lame idol twist ever.  

Don't mind the shuffle, but really don't like creating two tribes of 'haves' and one of extreme 'have nots.'  That may have been a critical deciding factor in who won the IC and who went to tribal. 

Tasha and Savage performed brilliantly.   

Jeremy came across as a bit gullible.  Hope that does not cost him, because, no, you cannot trust Spencer. 

Great season so far.  Abi and Varner have been at or near the center of all three episodes.  Pretty soon we have to see more of the others, don't we?

• Love 4

Problem with what Jeff did, he likely screwed Kelly over at her new tribe.  Now people are going to wonder what he said, and if they think Jeff was giving info to her, they may get rid of her before she can act.  

• Love 14