Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Eight Slim Grins

Bort
  • Start Topic

Jane learns she has the same Navy SEAL tattoo as a recently captured jewel thief. Meanwhile, a man from Jane's memory visits her; and Weller and Mayfair are unsure about Jane's role on the team.

I didn't, really. But the titles were just really bizarre and I thought hey, maybe anagrams?

Kudos to you for coming up with that!  I thought the titles were really odd, too.  Well done!

• Love 7

The episode titles are anagrams, apparently. The one for this episode is

The Missing Girl

Hah! I got "Missing Lighter" ... far more mysterious since Jane is not actually missing......  

• Love 4

This episode was shockingly violent.  Way more violent than I like to watch.  I purposely avoid ultra violent shows for this purpose.  I saw a head get blown off and a knife into a skull and some other shit that I don't even want to think of.  Blood splattering everywhere.  Guh.  I actually feel kind of sick.  If it continues like this I can't watch.  I wish it wouldn't.  The first two didn't seem as bad as this.  Except for the constant nun-shots.  

Drinking Game

1)  Aussie Guy:  "I really am sorry, Jane."  "For what."  "For everything."  (This entire exchange happened at least twice this episode)

2)  Jane accosts someone and demands to know who she is, whether she's in danger of dying or the person she's accosting is. 

3)  Jane wants to be involved in the cop action and is lectured but eventually allowed to be in the action.

4)  Aussie Guy talks about how valuable, important, and preciousssssssss Jane is.  Rob Brown disagrees.   (Though I don't mind that last one.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

I cannot recall ever seeing a bigger disparity in screen charisma between two series leads than the gap between Alexander and Stapleton in this show.  The latter is just an utter bore.

Somebody should do a running Blindspot vs. Quantico feature to decide which depicts the FBI as more incompetent in a given week.  Blindspot makes a strong case this week, as the team just drags Jane, who is a key asset and known to be under threat from mysterious forces, around on a hunt for dangerous people, but they refuse to arm her or even given her mobile communications equipment (even when they're leaving her completely alone in the field).

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 6

I cannot recall ever seeing a bigger disparity in screen charisma between two series leads than the gap between Alexander and Stapleton in this show.  The latter is just an utter bore.

You'd think that would balance each other out, but no, trying to make him super serious has made him stiff and dull.

This episode has been shockingly violent.  Way more violent than I like to watch.  I purposely avoid ultra violent shows for this purpose.  I saw a head got blown off and a knife into a skull and some other shit that I don't even want to think of.  Blood splattering everywhere.  Guh.  I actually feel kind of sick.  If it continues like this I can't watch.  I wish it wouldn't.  The first two didn't seem as bad as this.  Except for the constant nun-shots.

It seems to be following The Following's school of try hard shock value.

Edited by Free
  • Love 3

There were, it seemed, about 5 gun battles and 3 fight sequences.  I'm assuming this is why there is basically no character development of any kind going on, too much shooting and Jane Bournening all over the place. There was maybe a paragraph of dialogue that meant ANYTHING in the entire episode.

Just ugh.

• Love 5

She's Taylor Shaw, probably until they decide she's not in the finale. If she stays Taylor Shaw I'll be impressed. 

Weller really needs to stop growling his lines. Making super serious is making him really dull. I don't even know how his teammates caught on to him being way too invested in TaylorJane with his unchanging facial expressions. Maybe when he cares his growling sounds different and they've learned to pick up on that. 

I'm guessing Mayfair is working with some shady secret organization that's different than the shady secret organization that Taylor works for. Orion is the hunter which still makes me go with my theory she's an Assassin. 

• Love 6

I was really hoping that Jane wasn't Taylor Shaw because I can't take much more of Weller's self-righteous bs.  I'm with Reade all the way.  Regardless of the childhood history between Weller and Jane, there's no excuse for him blowing off his own team because he likes the newbie.  Furthermore, Mayfair shouldn't even have him as the lead in this case anymore because Weller is clearly biased towards Jane, and that makes him a liability.

What really bugs me is that Reade isn't trying to sabotage anyone, but the fact that he's not automatically Team Jane basically makes him persona non grata?  Screw you, Weller.  Hope someone kicks his ass. 

LOL @ Weller telling Jane to stay in the car.  At this point, would it be considered a running joke?

Knew Jane would get a gun by the end of the episode, because lets face it; Weller wouldn't have it otherwise.  Ugh.

Word to the drinking game, Ms Blue Jay.  It's almost like a checklist: tell Jane to stay in the car: check.  Jane asks someone to tell her who she is: check.  Weller waxes poetic about Jane's awesomeness: check.

The only decent moment was when Tech Girl kindly reassured Jane about fitting in to the team.  It actually came across as genuine.  Nothing else in the episode did, though.

EDIT: Apparently, Rob Brown's name is Reade, not Ramirez.  Whoops.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 10

Not!RedJohn killed Bearded Handler...leaving himself, Mayfair and somebody else (not Taylor) the only people that know about Operation Daylight. So Bearded Handler and unknown friends are whistleblowers? ETA: Maybe Orion is the 4th person. The thieves knew Orion from a different black op - a happy coincidence.

Edited by paigow
  • Love 3

Well, they killed off evil bearded guy right quick, didn't they?

I guess the writers probably figured they were giving too much 'answers', so they can drag it out.

LOL @ Weller told Jane to stay in the car.  At this point, would it be considered a running joke?

It already is, it's just laughably predictable now.

The only decent moment was when Tech Girl kindly reassured Jane about fitting in to the team.  It actually came across as genuine.  Nothing else in the episode did, though.

Probably because it was the only time in this episode at least that someone wasn't just spouting off super serious exposition at each other like every other scene.

• Love 4

I watched this show originally because I was a Strikeback fan, and wanted to see Sully.  The first 2 episodes kept my interest, but I think I may have reached my limit.  I foujd myself obsessing over little things (why don't they get Jane a turtleneck/long sleeve shirt - we KNOW she has a lot of tatoos!  Why is Kurt so casually dressed ?  ), and then I realized that's becuase this show is boring and predictable.  Yes, there was a lot of action and fighting, but - - so what?  It had NOTHING to do with advancing the plot, except for coming up with the word "Orion," which could have been disclosed by the bearded guy before he died. 

This show would be a million times better if they just lightened it up a bit, especially with the Kurt (ugh!  I just got it!  They should just have spelled his name "Curt").  Sullivan could benefit from a bit of Damian.  Jamie's a beautiful woman, but I'm sick of staring into her huge, perfectly made-up dilated eyes.  I usually try to separate the bad writing from the bad acting, but these two are beyond that.  I really like all the actors except for the 2 leads, who have zero chemistry. 

• Love 7

This show would be a million times better if they just lightened it up a bit, especially with the Kurt (ugh!  I just got it!  They should just have spelled his name "Curt").  Sullivan could benefit from a bit of Damian.  Jamie's a beautiful woman, but I'm sick of staring into her huge, perfectly made-up dilated eyes.  I usually try to separate the bad writing from the bad acting, but these two are beyond that.  I really like all the actors except for the 2 leads, who have zero chemistry. 

Yep. Some levity might make these predictable plots more bearable.  When Jane was told to stay in the car for the millionth time, I half expected her to wink at the camera.  There's no sense of fun or enjoyment, but on the flip side, there's no real urgency or poignancy, either.  

Did anyone notice how weird Weller's voice was when he confronted Jane about not staying in the car?  It was like grizzled mumbling.  I guess that's the accent issue that Stapleton has been having. 

• Love 2

Did anyone notice how weird Weller's voice was when he confronted Jane about not staying in the car?  It was like grizzled mumbling.  I guess that's the accent issue that Stapleton has been having.

That and he's written as a serious character who growls out his lines, he tells her to stay 3 episodes in a row.

• Love 1

Didn't anyone on this show watch Chuck? Its never safer in the car!

So Jane really is Taylor Shaw? Good. That means we can spend more time figuring out what her deal is and why she can do all this stuff, and less time trying to figure out who she is. Good call. Just...don't backtrack. 

The tech girl talking with Jane was a really nice scene. This show needs more stuff like that. More humanity in the midst of all the plot and action. 

This show is, I feel, really close to be legitimately good. Right now, its ok at worst, entertaining at best, but I feel like it could be more. 

• Love 8

Somebody should do a running Blindspot vs. Quantico feature to decide which depicts the FBI as more incompetent in a given week.  Blindspot makes a strong case this week, as the team just drags Jane, who is a key asset and known to be under threat from mysterious forces, around on a hunt for dangerous people, but they refuse to arm her or even given her mobile communications equipment (even when they're leaving her completely alone in the field).

Not to mention leaving an important Bureau witness guarded by one of NYPD's finest, one.... They would snap the perp up in a NY minute, with some federal charge or another, and put him under real protection.

Why is Kurt so casually dressed ?  )

The SAC would throw him so far out of the Field Office, the Coast Guard & Navy would be searching for his sorry ass off the coast of Bermuda.

Further, not even Weller would surrender his service weapon to her. He'd pull out his ankle piece and hand it to her.

As for the contrived "arm her up..." please tell me how they plan to do that. They can NOT just pass her a weapon. They can't pretend she's a Special Agent. There is one legal approach... she can be sworn in a special Deputy US Marshal. [The Marshal Service was the first federal LEO, and as the senior service, they have rule latitudes that no one else, not the Bureau, not USSS,  BATF, etc. can come near. The loophole has been used in similar cases, such as arming a US Army officer off-base etc.]

So Jane really is Taylor Shaw?

At least we know she's not Taylor Swift

Edited by Syme
  • Love 7

I was really hoping that Jane wasn't Taylor Shaw because I can't take much more of Weller's self-righteous bs.

We are as one.  I had my hands up in the applause-ready position, only to have my hopes cruelly dashed.  I was looking forward to seeing what a grizzled, mumbly meltdown looks like.

I hope in future weeks Jane pairs up with other agents. I'm already tired of the Jane/Weller dynamic, and I'd like to see what different aspects Jane, Reade, and Zapata can bring out in one another.  The scene with Patterson was good -- I perked up thinking Jane might bring some arcane knowledge to bear -- but too short.

• Love 4

I have a feeling they can still find a way to backtrack on Jane being Taylor. Though, I guess I should be grateful that they are answering some questions this early. On the other hand, they did immediately kill off two people who had info on Jane; that was annoying.

With "stay in the car", Orion, AND the civilian with special skills having to work alongside federal agents, I figure someone's a Chuck fan!

So, Project Daylight. I kinda hate that the Boss is going to be shady(?).

I'd like them to add a little more humor (the first 2 episodes had a couple touches), and not have all of it fall on Patterson, either. Maybe more scenes with the therapist.

Way too soon to pair up Jane with anyone, so stop with the soft music as Jane and Weller stare into each other's souls, Show.

• Love 2

So Jane really is Taylor Shaw? Good. That means we can spend more time figuring out what her deal is and why she can do all this stuff, and less time trying to figure out who she is. Good call. Just...don't backtrack. 

This.  I knew at some point they were going to "confirm" that she was Taylor (sorry, can't call her Shaw.  That's reserved for Person of Interest) but I didn't think it'd be this soon.  I didn't really have too much of an investment on if she was or wasn't her but since they confirmed it, I'm going to need them to do the unconventional thing and keep it confirmed.  Sadly, I don't have a lot of trust in shows so now I'm just waiting for the mid-season finale or season finale to take it back.  Especially since there's that government conspiracy angle that they're going for.

I wish that they had Reade or someone other than Weller go with her to the hospital at the end like Reade wanted.  I want her to have more interaction, one on one with the other members.  I liked the moment between her and the tech girl.  I want more of those with other people that aren't named Weller.

• Love 3

On one hand, I'm glad they've decided that she's really Taylor Shaw because I'm hoping this means she'll stop grabbing people & asking "do you know who I am?", on the other hand, I don't believe she's really Taylor Shaw. I think whoever set this up did something to her DNA & in the final episode of the season we'll find out she's not Taylor.

• Love 3

I yelped "yes!" when it was confirmed Jane was Taylor Shaw. After killing the Bearded Man (I didn't expect it, less so early) another dead end would have been an indication that the writers just intend to ask questions and not give answers.

I think that Assistant Director Mayfair is going to be a Skinner. The last scene reminded me of the early season 1 scenes between SMS and him on the X-files. I hope that Patterson isn't at risk because of the file, she's my favorite team member so far. You go, Chrissy!  I, too, loved the scenes between Jane and her and I hope they will develop a friendship.

As I expected, there was more of the team in this one and I was glad for it. Amidst the "extraordinary" premise of the show, and unrealistic circumstances, I found it realistic that a new element was to create riffs inside a group, and it was all the more believable to me because I had indeed the feeling that those people had been working together for years since the pilot. I didn't have the feeling that anyone was supposed to be a bad guy, I could understand everyone's POV because yes Jane is an asset and sympathetic in my eyes, but yes Weller is too emotional/has tunnel vision when it comes to her and Reade doesn't know her as the audience does. I like Zapata, and how she was in the middle ground imo because she simply found points of agreement with both, not because she was trying to play a "pacifier" role between two roosters.

I really liked Weller and Taylor holding arms for support when they learned the DNA test was a match. I hope that establishing her identity will put the "I can't trust you-No it's me who can't trust" you dance to rest. I was grinding my teeth when Jane confided in him and he retained information, even though it was to protect her from one more disappointment. I think the actors have chemistry, I like when they actually work together and hopefully, knowing who Taylor is will help Weller to relax and smile more.

• Love 3

Jane/Taylor being in the field is a plot contrivance I'm willing to accept as it would be pretty boring to watch Jaimie Alexander hanging around the FBI for the whole episode. At least the show admitted that it's problematic and did not just brush over it. I also liked that they made a point that her in the field was creating tensions in the team not just because they did not trust her but also because she was disrupting team dynamics. And I never thought Reade was a bad guy for voicing his concerns - he sounded more like the voice of reason. That said I really hope we're done with the 'stay-in-the-car'-arguments.

The show does a good job of balancing answers/new mysteries. I did not expect bearded guy to get killed and I'm glad they figured out the case-file number so quick (after Mayfair had already done that in the pilot). I kept thinking 'Daylight' and 'Orion were a tad too close to 'Northern Lights' and seeing Mike Gaston didn't help matters.

I agree a bit of levity would not hurt the show. That and probably a bit more focus on the emotional fall-out like we had in the scenes with the therapist (who should get more screen-time) and Patterson. And while I'm glad the leads did not hug once the DNA results were in I thought it really odd that Jane/Taylor never asked if she's still got family.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

I REALLY tried to like this show for a number of reasons.

In its favor is Jaimie Alexander and the story line is entertaining.

HOWEVER, I simply can't stand the male lead. He bellows his lines through a clenched jaw and I cringe when he speaks and as someone noted earlier in this thread, there is NO charisma between the lead. The show goes flat when they are acting together or more accurately when Alexander is acting and he is trying to act.

This show might have been a success with a different male lead.

• Love 3

I really want to like this show. I want to watch them unravel the tattoo mysteries, and figure out what's in that big redacted file, and so on. I don't want to watch any more close-ups of her giant eyes looking so hurt and bewildered, or more close-ups of his bellowing face. And for God's sake, can she JUST STAY IN THE CAR for once?

I do like the supporting cast a great deal, and agree with others that the scene with the tech was nicely done. I'd like to see more like that, because I think there's a good intellectual story buried in here with all the puzzle-solving. I find that more interesting than all the fights.

• Love 2
I cannot recall ever seeing a bigger disparity in screen charisma between two series leads than the gap between Alexander and Stapleton in this show.  The latter is just an utter bore.

Somebody should do a running Blindspot vs. Quantico feature to decide which depicts the FBI as more incompetent in a given week.  Blindspot makes a strong case this week, as the team just drags Jane, who is a key asset and known to be under threat from mysterious forces, around on a hunt for dangerous people, but they refuse to arm her or even given her mobile communications equipment (even when they're leaving her completely alone in the field).

I wanted to like this show but it is ridiculous.  Why does the computer geek girl wear a white lab coat? Is she processing blood tests at a hospital on the side? And what's with the ridiculous side plot of the father being accused of killing FBI guy's childhood friend?  And they're just now having a memorial service for her? 

Pass. 

I so agree with the part I bolded.  Count me in with the people getting sick and tired of looking at close-ups of Jaimie's eyes.  Enough already.  Makes me think she can't act so this is the default for that.  I always like Sully, but given all of his close-ups I will admit I had no idea he had such nice eyes - thanks show, but now you can stop that too.

Last night still didn't give me any chemistry between the leads.  I also think the show takes itself too seriously and that's a huge problem.  I know it gets tired, but there was lots of action on Strike Back, but they didn't take themselves seriously, always looked like they were in on the joke and having fun and I really believed the characters were a team.  This show not so much.  No one really seems to be jellying with anyone else.  Makes me sad actually.

Last night was the first time I really noticed Sully's accent.  I thought at the beginning of the show his American accent was okay but as the show continued more of his Aussie accent came through.  I'm not sure why that is as he really didn't have any issues with it previously and was very believable as an American in Strike Back.  Maybe it's because he always has to think and realizes he has no chemistry with the others so nothing is coming "naturally".

This.  I knew at some point they were going to "confirm" that she was Taylor (sorry, can't call her Shaw.  That's reserved for Person of Interest) but I didn't think it'd be this soon.  I didn't really have too much of an investment on if she was or wasn't her but since they confirmed it, I'm going to need them to do the unconventional thing and keep it confirmed.  Sadly, I don't have a lot of trust in shows so now I'm just waiting for the mid-season finale or season finale to take it back.  Especially since there's that government conspiracy angle that they're going for.

Same here, but part of my problem is that I don't have a really have much of a reason to care if she's Taylor, his missing neighbor or not.  It's more to get it out of the way than an actual plot twist/reveal that the writers seem to think it is.

• Love 1

I really want to like this show. I want to watch them unravel the tattoo mysteries, and figure out what's in that big redacted file, and so on. I don't want to watch any more close-ups of her giant eyes looking so hurt and bewildered, or more close-ups of his bellowing face. And for God's sake, can she JUST STAY IN THE CAR for once?

Preach. And his accent is atrosh.

• Love 1

This show might have been a success with a different male lead.

Yet he was far less wooden in Strike Back.  While perhaps not as good as the taciturn Winchester, he was certainly quite watchable.

• Love 2

Yet he was far less wooden in Strike Back.  While perhaps not as good as the taciturn Winchester, he was certainly quite watchable.

It's the show, he's written like a serious stiff and that's how it comes across.

• Love 1

With "stay in the car", Orion, AND the civilian with special skills having to work alongside federal agents, I figure someone's a Chuck fan!

My husband and I both yelled "CHUCK" when she was told to stay in the car, but we did not catch the other references (although Orion makes me think of MIB).  

Personally, I am sort of comforted by the kill-off of beardy guy and the DNA/Taylor Shaw disclosure because it fuels my heartfelt desire that the writers have a plan here. (Which heartfelt desires were squashed somewhat with the POI/Blacklist huge government conspiracy) (By the way, are all deep government conspiracies in TV headed up by middle-aged character actors? Perhaps there is a screen-writing rule somewhere about this.)

• Love 1

Jane accosts someone and demands to know who she is, whether she's in danger of dying or the person she's accosting is.

Cue Blacklist's Lizzie doing the same thing, but her question is: "Do you know who my mother is?"

What a bunch of FBI losers, after Jane roughs up that guy in the back alley and he runs away. The FBI people are right on his heels, but when they get to the end of the alleyway, they were all, "He got away, he's gone." No running out into the parking lot to see which way he went, no calling in extra forces to help find a guy ON THE GROUND ON FOOT, or calling in a helicopter or even checking the guy's car in the parking lot to see if he's driving away in it. What a bunch of maroons.

I really don't want to start calling Jane "Taylor."

So, how much does a 10-year-old kid remember? How can Weller have been looking for Taylor since he was freaking 10 years old? I don't even remember being 10, but I do remember having childhood friends who eventually disappeared because, I guess, their families moved. I really cannot buy into some fourth grader searching for anyone or anything other than maybe his lunchbox or latest video game.

• Love 4

No one ever stays in the car on tv, that's not a unique complaint to this show. Plus it would be boring to watch her stay in the car. 

I would think the camera would follow the other people, if she stayed in the car, and not her just sitting there.

• Love 2

(By the way, are all deep government conspiracies in TV headed up by middle-aged character actors? Perhaps there is a screen-writing rule somewhere about this.)

I think there's a trope for that.

Cue Blacklist's Lizzie doing the same thing, but her question is: "Do you know who my mother is?"

It's pretty much the same thing.

It's the show, he's written like a serious stiff and that's how it comes across.

A serious stiff with dodgy grooming and dress habits.

What a bunch of FBI losers, after Jane roughs up that guy in the back alley and he runs away. The FBI people are right on his heels, but when they get to the end of the alleyway, they were all, "He got away, he's gone."

They did the same thing again with the guy at the end. "He's dead, Jim. Boom. End of story." Even though they were in a hospital and a team could have rushed in a tried emergency resuscitation procedures. I was surprised Jane "Won't Stay in the Car" Doe so quickly resigned herself.

I hope (trust?) Mayfair can finesse a solution to the Daylight problem. When HItG!Fed Man told her to get rid of the situation, I yelled back, "No! Manage the situation! Manage it!"  I like the character (and the actor) a lot.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2

I only started watching this show for Jaimie Alexander, and frankly she is the only thing keeping me going. The conspiracy trope is so played out it's not even funny and I swear I have seen the kinds of plots they're doing on virtually every show of this type. Predictability is not necessarily an issue if it's otherwise fun. Blindspot walks the line as far as I am concerned, but again, Jaimie Alexander...

One question I have though. If Stapleton has issues with his accent bleeding through, the kind of thing I would imagine would have been noticed in early filming if not the auditions, why not just make him Australian in the first place so he doesn't have to bother?

Or cast an American? Even if Stapleton's better in other things, I doubt he's SO special that another actor from the States couldn't do the job. Not sure why he has to be a Caucasian or a guy, either, but I'm so over the "girl-genius agent and her bro handler fall in love" story, I'm under it. 

• Love 1