Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Gawd, finally.  Props for actually going through with it, I guess, I had my doubts.

But given 60% of his on-screen life was being Joss' Boyfriend with 30% going to being Tamara Braun's son, I find it really gross that the show, in the final throes, was like, "Care, care because Oscar's a Quartermaine!", because the Quartermaines remain an emotional core for viewers.  I mean, busting out Lila and Edward's ghosts?  Ew.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I still don't understand why they didn't just recast. Oscar wasn't a terribly conceived character, he was just portrayed by a bad actor.

I thought this Oscar was a recast.

30 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I must have missed those years. We spent 7 years overseas so perhaps Edward redeemed himself during that time. I’ll accept your word on that.

This was after he was recast as Kris Kringle.

20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

was he supposed to be near the Canadian border at the start of the episode?  He got back to Jordan in less time than it takes me to get downtown from my home.

Port Charles is supposed to be Buffalo, or very close by. If it's not right on the Canadian border it's very close.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

This was after he was recast as Kris Kringle.

I feel like David Lewis's Edward had some redeeming moments, but it was so long ago, I can't remember.  I still liked him even when he was being grumpy and greedy.  At least he didn't go around killing people (that I remember).  

For some reason, while trying to remember, I keep fixating on when Alan Jr ran away from military school and came home and said he wanted to be called AJ and Edward chuckled and said "AJ. I like that."  Such an unimimportant scene and line, yet that's what keeps popping up in my head.  That, and when some mobsters bought the house next door and Frisco was staking it out or whatever, he got chased by the guard dogs and ran next door to the Qs.  Alan let him in and asked him what he was doing.  He said he was pikcing up extra money by doing yard work (or something similar) for the new owners.  Lila asked if there were children because Alan Jr and Jason would have playmates.  Frisco said he didn't know about that.  He only knew that he had paid cash.  And Edward gleefully said "I may have a new playmate."  Not a particularly redeeming moment.  I'll sleep on it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I mean this is not even in the same stratosphere as Stone (even all these years later I can tear up watching the old clips). However, I thought it was good. I did cry. Plus no Jason or Sam or stupid god awful DoD. I thought everyone did a good job. 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I mean this is not even in the same stratosphere as Stone (even all these years later I can tear up watching the old clips). However, I thought it was good. I did cry. Plus no Jason or Sam or stupid god awful DoD. I thought everyone did a good job. 

I hate Oscar. Didn't care that he died.  But at least the show had some semblance of a show today minus Carson.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I mean this is not even in the same stratosphere as Stone (even all these years later I can tear up watching the old clips). However, I thought it was good. I did cry. Plus no Jason or Sam or stupid god awful DoD. I thought everyone did a good job

I agree. Something about a young person dying is just sad & bittersweet to me...so much promise & life not lived. Also I've found that everytime someone dies (fictional or not) it brings back all the sadness & grief for the people I've lost in my life.

I had no issue with Lila & Edward coming for Oscar. At my age I appreciate the family connections & history of great & grandparents more than I did say 30 or 40 years ago...something about continuity..the connecting of past & future.

I honestly didn't hate this kid as Oscar. True, not the strongest actor but there was something (to me) likeable & kinda endearing about the kid. I think it's too easy to hate on  these people who are just trying to do their job, but yeah, I know, UO & all that.

At least now people can move on...**and hey, we all just want more of this amazing DOD story, right?**

** sarcasm font in case anyone was unsure🙄

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, RedRockRosie said:

I agree. Something about a young person dying is just sad & bittersweet to me...so much promise & life not lived. Also I've found that everytime someone dies (fictional or not) it brings back all the sadness & grief for the people I've lost in my life.

I had no issue with Lila & Edward coming for Oscar. At my age I appreciate the family connections & history of great & grandparents more than I did say 30 or 40 years ago...something about continuity..the connecting of past & future.

I honestly didn't hate this kid as Oscar. True, not the strongest actor but there was something (to me) likeable & kinda endearing about the kid. I think it's too easy to hate on  these people who are just trying to do their job, but yeah, I know, UO & all that.

At least now people can move on...**and hey, we all just want more of this amazing DOD story, right?**

** sarcasm font in case anyone was unsure🙄

I guess you can say at least he tried, unlike some actors on this show who eat up screen time and suck.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, RedRockRosie said:

I honestly didn't hate this kid as Oscar.

8 minutes ago, Hater said:

I guess you can say at least he tried, unlike some actors on this show who eat up screen time and suck.

Agree on both counts. It was unfortunate that he was the weakest link in a story that revolved around him. But I thought he was ok. 

• Love 6
(edited)
29 minutes ago, RedRockRosie said:

I honestly didn't hate this kid as Oscar. True, not the strongest actor but there was something (to me) likeable & kinda endearing about the kid.

12 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Agree on both counts. It was unfortunate that he was the weakest link in a story that revolved around him. But I thought he was ok. 

I truly think part of the problem was that from the get-go he was stuck with an awful name. (Writers!!!!) What 21st century mother would choose that as a first name? He was a nerd before we even met him. 

----

OK, I stand semi-corrected: (from Nameberry)"Oscar, a round and jovial choice, is a grandpa name that's fast taking over from such urban trendies as Max and Sam. Actors Hugh Jackman and Gillian Anderson chose Oscar for their sons. "

In the early 2000's, when GHOscar would have been born, it hovered around 120th most popular name for a boy. Still an awful name for a soap character, IMO.

Edited by rur
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Gawd, finally.  Props for actually going through with it, I guess, I had my doubts.

But given 60% of his on-screen life was being Joss' Boyfriend with 30% going to being Tamara Braun's son, I find it really gross that the show, in the final throes, was like, "Care, care because Oscar's a Quartermaine!", because the Quartermaines remain an emotional core for viewers.  I mean, busting out Lila and Edward's ghosts?  Ew.

Especially when his Q ties are through Drew who was a retcon and didn’t have a huge emotional connection with any of these people outside of Monica in the last few years. I just didn’t feel any aspect to this story at all.

• Love 5

I’m sure Oscar will end up on some CW show making more money then his GH cast members. Now, it’s Joss & Cam. Who will be in interloper now? Boy or Girl?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I still don't understand why they didn't just recast. Oscar wasn't a terribly conceived character, he was just portrayed by a bad actor.

His main purpose should have been for Drew/Kim to have a relationship more than friends.  But they went nowhere it.  They can get Joss any boyfriend off the street if they wanted her to have one.

I still think Tamara was horribly casted as Drew's "former lover."   Then casting this kid with Oscar was another bad choice.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, rur said:

n the early 2000's, when GHOscar would have been born, it hovered around 120th most popular name for a boy. Still an awful name for a soap character, IMO.

You're not taking into account how people age on soaps.  He's the same as Joss, roughly and she was born in 2009.  On the other hand, he is also roughly the same as Cam who was born in 2004.  So, he could have been born anything between 2000 and 2012.

• LOL 2

If they wanted us to care about Oscar's death because he is a Quartermaine, they should have connected him more to the Qs instead of having almost all his scenes with Joss and her family which includes Jason. I liked Oscar wanting to add Quartermaine to his name but did her even know anything about Edward and Lila other than they are his great grandparents?

That said, I won't miss Oscar himself but I do hate it that another Q died while Sonny and Carly are all giggly about a new Corinthos being born.  I'm also sad that the Qs will once again be shoved into the closet and the stories on the show now are Ryan, Corinthos baby, Corinthos DoD and the occasional Jordan kidney scenes. Oh, and Anna and Finn but I try to forget about that.

23 hours ago, nilyank said:

No but Curtis does has a loved one who is facing serious health issues down one kidney, taking dialysis and in need of a kidney transplant. He should be scared and he can easily identify with what Drew is going through

Curtis could bond with Drew in fear, maybe, although it's not the same thing because Oscar was definitely dying while Jordan only had a chance of dying. But Curtis could not have helped Drew deal with death as Franco did. We'll have to agree to disagree about which character should have been in that scene.

6 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

The Lilah worship has always gotten on my nerves.  This woman stood by while Edward OG (I haven't forgotten what a horror show he was before they recast him as Kris Kringle), pitted her children against each other, belittled them, created the weak creatures they were (until the miracle of Emily and the diagnosis of Robyn), cheated on her and begat other children,  and treated her poorly in general.  I view her as a weak woman who looked the other while terrible things happened within her family.

I lost my love for Lila with the way she treated Tracy (who really was emotionally abused by her family) and Skye and joined everyone in fawning over Brenda. I guess even in the older days, this show couldn't write a wholly likable matriarch.

• Love 3

I'm just glad it's over.  This storyline was crappy from the beginning when Kim was hiding his illness from him.  The worst part is now we're going to have to deal with Joss's pain, which will mean more Sonny and Carly and probably more ENDLESS talk about Morgan.  At least we'll get Jax, but still.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I'm just glad it's over.  This storyline was crappy from the beginning when Kim was hiding his illness from him.  The worst part is now we're going to have to deal with Joss's pain, which will mean more Sonny and Carly and probably more ENDLESS talk about Morgan.  At least we'll get Jax, but still.

It was always about Joss and this story I believe was never suppose to happen and only happened because Billy Miller needed something to do when he resigned last summer (please don't do it again!)

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, rur said:

OK, I stand semi-corrected: (from Nameberry)"Oscar, a round and jovial choice, is a grandpa name that's fast taking over from such urban trendies as Max and Sam. Actors Hugh Jackman and Gillian Anderson chose Oscar for their sons. "

In the early 2000's, when GHOscar would have been born, it hovered around 120th most popular name for a boy. Still an awful name for a soap character, IMO.

My nephew's middle name is Oscar. He's almost three. Though for us it's a family name, our maternal grandfather's middle name was Oscar and it was his father's first name. There was also an Oscar on our dad's side of the family three or four generations back.

Still, before my nephew my first association with the name was Oscar the Grouch, who was my favorite Sesame Street character. I had an Oscar the Grouch t-shirt years ago that I wore until it eventually fell apart. I am sadder right now about that shirt than I am about the death of GH Oscar.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Hater said:

It was always about Joss and this story I believe was never suppose to happen and only happened because Billy Miller needed something to do when he resigned last summer (please don't do it again!)

I actually thought it was because they needed something for Tamara Braun to do.  They really brought her in with no plan for her.

Speaking of people who will need something to do, I guess Dr. Terry can now devote her entire life to listening to Liz's problems. #eyeroll

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I actually thought it was because they needed something for Tamara Braun to do.  They really brought her in with no plan for her.

Speaking of people who will need something to do, I guess Dr. Terry can now devote her entire life to listening to Liz's problems. #eyeroll

They did the same thing with Sarah Brown (Carly No. 1) when she returned to the show a decade ago. They created an ill conceived character in Claudia who they had no idea what to do with.

• Love 1
(edited)
45 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I don't know, I feel it was completely out of left field for Tamara. She expressed that she didn't understand it and went to the writers.  I think they were setting up Drew to leave last year with DA Margo.  I think the story was for him to turn over the mob's secrets to her.  I mean they were teasing a pairing with Margo for months and how Drew was going to date and play Margo at the same time, it never happened.  He specifically told Curtis this.

But then Billy decided to stay and you had this shit come out of nowhere.

I do agree that Kim was a poorly conceived character and is really not needed on this show.  Drew and her can leave and no one would care.  I like Drew and that's just the way it is.

Edited by Hater
1 hour ago, rur said:

I truly think part of the problem was that from the get-go he was stuck with an awful name. (Writers!!!!) What 21st century mother would choose that as a first name? He was a nerd before we even met him. 

----

I hate the name Oscar too. It reminds me of Oscar the Grouch from  "Sesame Street."

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Hater said:

I don't know, I feel it was completely out of left field for Tamara. She expressed that she didn't understand it and went to the writers.

Oh, I don't think they pitched her the story when she signed on.  Just that the character had been on-canvas for a few months and had no real story and this is what they cooked up for her.

And honestly, now that he's dead?  We don't need Kim, as much as I typically like Tamara Braun.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I agree. The reasons I made the comparisons between Oscar and Stone are: 1.) Both characters were on the show for about two years, 2.) They were both young when they died, and 3.) They both died of illnesses. 

But even before Stone died, I was invested in his character. And I loved his relationship with Robin. So when he died, I really felt it. Oscar, on the other hand, was a character that the writers never made me care about in anyway, shape, or form. So when I watched him die, it was like "Whatever" for me.

Like someone else pointed out, I just hate we're going to have to watch for weeks while his loved ones grieve over him, especially Kim (who I also don't care about). But at least Jax is going to return. That's something.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oh, I don't think they pitched her the story when she signed on.  Just that the character had been on-canvas for a few months and had no real story and this is what they cooked up for her.

And honestly, now that he's dead?  We don't need Kim, as much as I typically like Tamara Braun.

I totally agree. Now that Oscar is dead, what is Kim's story going to be? She and Julian have no chemistry whatsoever IMO, so I'm not interested in the writers creating a story for them as a couple.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, DivaLasVegas82 said:

I think Oscar No. 1 quit to do that Netflix show, "Everything Sucks!"

And, it got cancelled after the first season. Ouch!

I thought today wasn't bad and I actually enjoyed the whole episode but what I couldn't take was that Joss would just not leave the room and give Kim and Drew five minutes to be with their son as he took his last breath...they were relegated to the staircase....I know Oscar wanted her with him and I can certainly understand that but she should have been gracious and left the room so they could come in...

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

I am sadder right now about that shirt than I am about the death of GH Oscar.

LOL. All I could think about after today’s ending was that Edward was probably like, “Who the fuck is this kid?”

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I am pretty sure it is bad on me, when I went:  finally, Oscar is dead!

But, I was surprised at this episode, and liked it a lot.  To have everyone hang around and be sad while he died, not something I want to see.

3 hours ago, bannana said:

I am pretty sure it is bad on me, when I went:  finally, Oscar is dead!

It would be bad of you if he were a real person.  Since he's not, you're fine.  I have many times rooted for the death of a fictional character, when I hope I would never do that in real life.  

• Love 2

I thought it was a sensitively done end-of-life episode. I didn't fall for the eleventh-hour reprieve, because even a soap wouldn't go from deathbed to "The tumor is barely visible! And benign!" They might bail out a character for whom it looks medically hopeless, but a more acceptable way would be to fly in a new surgeon who is pioneering some risky radical technique that turns out to work. Or have the sick character disappear and then come back months later, and explain that something something overseas experimental trial. 

So I never doubted we were going to come back to that bedroom and pick up with Josslyn falling asleep. 

However, even though it was well directed, sometimes affectingly written, and some of the supporting performances were good, I was kept from having much of an emotional response by the void at the center. The kid who played Oscar was never more than okay, frequently less, and the character seemed even flatter and more generic when Cameron got aged up and became interesting. I'm glad his story has concluded.  

Docked a few more points for several intrusions of the patented Laura Wright fake laugh, and the patented Maurice Benard mini-stroke pause ("The way we felt about...Morgan"). 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I thought it was a sensitively done end-of-life episode. I didn't fall for the eleventh-hour reprieve, because even a soap wouldn't go from deathbed to "The tumor is barely visible! And benign!" They might bail out a character for whom it looks medically hopeless, but a more acceptable way would be to fly in a new surgeon who is pioneering some risky radical technique that turns out to work. Or have the sick character disappear and then come back months later, and explain that something something overseas experimental trial. 

So I never doubted we were going to come back to that bedroom and pick up with Josslyn falling asleep. 

However, even though it was well directed, sometimes affectingly written, and some of the supporting performances were good, I was kept from having much of an emotional response by the void at the center. The kid who played Oscar was never more than okay, frequently less, and the character seemed even flatter and more generic when Cameron got aged up and became interesting. I'm glad his story has concluded.  

Docked a few more points for several intrusions of the patented Laura Wright fake laugh, and the patented Maurice Benard mini-stroke pause ("The way we felt about...Morgan"). 

It's not a fake laugh. It's her real laugh which has always bugged me. When she laughs it takes me out of the scene. I'm always like, "Laura is laughing not Carly".

15 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Have I missed the follow-up to Sasha deliriously telling Michael that she wished Nina really was her mother? 

Michael is the only person who could give the common cold as a STD.

• LOL 5
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:20 PM, dubbel zout said:
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:15 PM, LexieLily said:

that [Jason and Sonny] can get what they need on Shiloh another way.

By threatening and/or torturing Shiloh? Those two aren't known for restraint.

But if anything happened to Shiloh, that would <sonny>shatter... Kristina.... shatter </sonny>, so Sonny and Jason are going to "bring Shiloh to justice".

This is Show's way of 1) keeping the plot line from ending too quickly and 2) saying only bad evul people go outside the law to exact justice, and Our Heroes (stop laughing) would never do that.

(Jason tailing Ryan all the way to Niagara Falls and shooting him just to incapacitate part of a long list of exemptions, of course)

10 minutes ago, NutmegsDad said:

This is Show's way of 1) keeping the plot line from ending too quickly and 2) saying only bad evul people go outside the law to exact justice, and Our Heroes (stop laughing) would never do that.

I was on vaca last week and watching with my mom.  She quit watching ages ago and I generally tune in once a month or so.  But, I remember saying, wouldn't it make more sense for a mobster to just kill the head of a cult that messing with his daughter?  I'm not advocating real-world murder and violence.  But, Sonny is the head of a mob.  Jason has literally been called his enforcer. This means he regulary employs a hitman. It's unrealistic that he hasn't taken control of this more forcefully.

• Love 1

I don't think Oscar's death was so bad, but it was really unnecessary to bring in Fake!EdwardandLila to usher him off. He never even met them.

I had to laugh at Olivia putting together a photo album of Oscar. They really went maudlin in parts.

If nothing else, for me Oscar's death was a welcome relief from Sam's idiotic stuff at DoD.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think Oscar's death was so bad, but it was really unnecessary to bring in Fake!EdwardandLila to usher him off. He never even met them.

It made sense when Lila came back for Edward and they walked up the stairs together.  That was really sweet.  But, you're right.  It made no sense for Oscar.  They had never met him.  They had never even met his father.  Are they actually just hanging out in the house their complete afterlife?  Again, it would be sweet of Lila to wait for Edward and then go into the light together.  But, since we kind of saw that, it begs the question of how they came back yet again.  Unless they just went upstairs and they're haunting the place.  Which is sad.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Katy M said:

wouldn't it make more sense for a mobster to just kill the head of a cult that messing with his daughter?

The reason Sonny hasn't done this yet is because Kristina would know he ordered the hit and would never forgive him. It's actually kind of logical.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, rur said:

----

An Aussie soap used it for a young man recently.  It makes me think of Oscar Madison of The Odd Couple, a 70s sitcom.  

11 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Why does Dr. Terry call her "Biz."  

11 minutes ago, Katy M said:
31 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It made sense when Lila came back for Edward and they walked up the stairs together.  That was really sweet.  But, you're right.  It made no sense for Oscar.  They had never met him.  They had never even met his father.  Are they actually just hanging out in the house their complete afterlife?  Again, it would be sweet of Lila to wait for Edward and then go into the light together.  But, since we kind of saw that, it begs the question of how they came back yet again.  Unless they just went upstairs and they're haunting the place.  Which is sad.

Cue whatever your favorite paranormal show to do an investigation at the Q Mansion. (Hello, AJ! Are you a demon??")

FWIW, I was expecting Oscar to be escorted up the stairs by one of the long-gone Qs. So, I'se got nuttin.

Was Emily not in the Crypt?

3 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

Why does Dr. Terry call her "Biz."  

Liz was a bitch with a bitch attitude when they were in high school, so.... Bitch+Liz=Biz.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, NutmegsDad said:

(Hello, AJ! Are you a demon??")

You just made me realize that I wish AJ and Drew would have been able to meet just to see what that dynamic would have been.  So many ways to go.  AJ's jealous that there's yet another son more beloved than him.  He actually gets along with Drew so resents Jason even more for the being the twin that was kept. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The reason Sonny hasn't done this yet is because Kristina would know he ordered the hit and would never forgive him. It's actually kind of logical.

Yes she would. Michael forgave Sonnu for murdering his father and that only took months. Kristina would be over this in a week at most, by that standard. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I had to laugh at Olivia putting together a photo album of Oscar. They really went maudlin in parts.

If nothing else, for me Oscar's death was a welcome relief from Sam's idiotic stuff at DoD.

The juxtaposition of Oscar dying and Sam worried about a file is priceless. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I almost, ALMOST, gave in and was gonna feel a tiny little tiny something for Oscar, then in his final few seconds he got the most ridiculous look on his face, like, "huh okay, it's time to die" and then he died. His bad acting took me right out of it till the very end! Fairwell Osc!

But WTF with the message of that dream: "Everyone is just waiting around for you to die, move on already!" 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1